Using roof rails
There are many uses for roof rails, but the most popular are:
- fixation of cargo baskets. A practical device that is characterized by a completely acceptable appearance, good spaciousness and ease of attachment;
- fixing bike racks. An excellent solution for motorists who are also avid cyclists. Differs in reliability and the ability to simultaneously fasten several bicycles, which is very convenient for a planned collective bike ride;
- magnetic and mechanical fixation. Most often used to transport snowboards, skis and other similar items.
First of all, after you have decided to make your own trunk for your car, you will need to select the source material. Metal is generally considered the best option. However, in this case, it is necessary to find such a material that will have a low weight, but at the same time have the highest strength.
- Profile tube;
- Stainless steel.
Aluminum is probably the best choice for several reasons. First, it is very lightweight. Secondly, it is resistant to external influences and does not lend itself to the negative effects of corrosion. Thirdly, it is very easy to work with it and form the necessary structures.
An alternative to aluminum is the thin-walled profile tube. In most cases, a roof rack made of this material is installed on domestically produced SUVs (UAZ Patriot, Lada Niva 4 × 4). The cheapest option for a car is a stainless steel roof rack. The sheets have become very strong and flexible at the same time. However, a significant disadvantage of this type of material is its weight. it is much larger than that of a profile tube or aluminum.
Types of fasteners
- Down the drain. This type is most suitable for domestic cars. You can position the trunk in any position, as well as install two small ones on the roof.
- Behind the doorway. This mounting method is suitable for both domestic cars and foreign models with a smooth roof. For fasteners, hook brackets are purchased that are attached to the door opening. It will not be possible to remove them, since when the door is closed, the support is inaccessible.
- Certain locations. Some models have special holes for attaching luggage devices. Such recesses help the car look aesthetically pleasing and organic, while allowing you to securely fasten your luggage.
- On the roof rails. If there are longitudinal arcs in your vehicle, and these are station wagons or minivans, as well as some SUVs, then this type of fastener is suitable for you. Transverse arches are laid, which allow things to hold well without touching the roof, which helps not to scratch it. The luggage itself is fastened with straps, but you should take into account the center of gravity, which can shift.
- Station wagons or crossovers have come up with a new type of fastener called “integrated roof rails.” They are made without gaps and contain arcs with holes. Keep in mind that the center of gravity shifts down here. Opel, Kia, Suzuki models are pleasing to the eye in this way of fastening.
- Runners. It is quite easy to fix the trunk in this form, and the arcs themselves are located along the roof, which allows you not to come into contact with it and not damage the smooth surface. This type of fastener is very rare, most often it is equipped with Nissan SUVs.
- Magnets. An amazing method, although it fits absolutely any model. However, it is designed for light weight, for example, skis.
- Belts. Several belts run through the cabin and fix the inflatable trunk. The downside is that passengers may feel uncomfortable.
What are the pros
- The ability to carry a load weighing about 110 kg, while not injuring the smooth roof.
- Price range is significantly lower compared to the same trailer.
- The load is securely fastened, so you should not be afraid for it.
- You can think of many other devices.
- Whatever the burden, it will not interfere with looking at the road when moving.
A few years ago, the choice was small, universal roof racks were produced that fit any brand of car, both sedans and SUVs, and were attached with a drain. Now technology has gone ahead, therefore, the choice has become more diverse and wider. You can choose a foreign manufacturer if you trust the West more, or you can try to work with domestic production. Taste and color, as they say.
Now, first of all, attention is paid to the method of fastening and the materials used. It can be aluminum alloy or stainless steel, as well as plastic, but durable
An additional compartment for transporting things can be individual or suitable for all cars.
Toyota Caldina Black BisonWald4 Logbook decided to make a roof box
The easiest and fastest method. It is necessary to prepare a profile pipe (20 × 40) and 4 clamps for fastening. Further actions look like this:
- we determine the size of the crossbars and make blanks from the metal profile;
- we drill holes for clamps, which will later fix the rail;
- we prepare metal plates, which are also intended for fastening the crossbar;
- cover all parts with heat shrinkage or paint;
- we mount the structure on roof rails.
Profile pipe 20×40 for the manufacture of roof rails
It is recommended to use such a rack only when transporting cargo, since it does not have good aerodynamics and will create additional noise when driving.
Choosing a material for the trunk
The most common material for making a do-it-yourself roof rack for a car is a metal profile. The best option is an aluminum alloy profile. It is easy to cut and bend to the desired shape, and aluminum is not subject to corrosion and has a low specific gravity.
For a base that has a significant load, you can use a steel rectangular profile with a section of 20×30 mm and a wall thickness of 2 mm. The use of round pipes is less preferable, as they can lead to slipping of the load during transport.
Note! The steel trunk will have a lot of weight, which will ultimately reduce the useful mass of the transported cargo.
With the help of a grinder, the profile is cut into elements according to the selected drawing. The rectangular base is electrically welded and reinforced with longitudinal struts. To ensure rigidity, the struts are connected by transverse bridges to form a lattice bottom of the boot. Further, vertical posts of the required height are made, which are connected to the base with screws. From above, longitudinal and transverse crossbars are welded to the racks, completing the spatial structure of the trunk. Mounts at the bottom of the structure that are suitable for the respective vehicle model.
An example of making a trunk from a metal profile can be seen in the following video:
When choosing rolled metal products, one should give preference to stainless steels or consider ways to protect the finished product from corrosion (for example, painting with zinc-containing compounds).
These options are suitable for those who have the ability and skills to use welding equipment. If you cook a trunk according to a unique project from an unfamiliar welder for money, then the total cost of the work may exceed the price of a factory product. Therefore, many car enthusiasts use such a not entirely functional option as lumber for the manufacture of the trunk.
In principle, the wooden structure successfully copes with the periodic transportation of light loads that cannot be fixed on the standard car rails.
Important! Remember that every 50 kilograms of roof load increases the vehicle’s center of gravity by 10%, which negatively affects vehicle handling.
Another source material option is high-impact ABS plastic. Craftsmen with a great practice of creating fiberglass body kits for cars make rails, platforms and even aeroboxes from polymer compositions, which in quality and reliability can successfully compete with branded samples. However, for most motorists, this method of increasing the luggage capacity of a car with their own hands is exotic and almost impracticable.
How to make crossbars with your own hands
Making your own roof rack for car rails will save you a decent amount of money without requiring any special skills.
There are several ways to make crossbars, they all differ in complexity and practicality.
To create a drawing of the future trunk, you need to make a number of measurements:
Taking into account the weight of the metal components and the required load capacity of the trunk, it calculates the required amount of material, and also schematically depicts the appearance of the future structure.
After carrying out all the calculations, it is necessary to draw up an accurate drawing of the luggage rack for the car planned for production, with the dimensions of the parts printed on the diagram. In this case, the drawing must necessarily contain the following structural elements:
- General dimensions of the product;
- Length and points of placement of transverse reinforcing bars;
- The height of the sides of the future design;
- Trunk bottom.
When developing a project, it should be borne in mind that roof racks, which have a rectangular or square shape, create significant air resistance during the movement of the car. Because of this, the aerodynamic performance of the car can be seriously affected. To prevent this from happening, it is recommended to make a trunk with a streamlined headboard.
Selecting the type of construction
Car roof racks are of two types:
- Lattice, or arcs-crossbars;
Crossbars allow you to transport loads of various sizes on the roof of the car. In addition, such a design is easy to make yourself. Trunk boxes, although they have a more attractive appearance, are notable for their small capacity. In addition, it is extremely difficult and very costly to make boxes on your own.
That is why, considering the options for the independent manufacture of car roof racks, it is best to opt for lattice structures such as an arc-cross member.
The process of making a roof rack for a car with your own hands has the following sequence of actions:
- Carefully study the created design drawing.
- Trim the metal to create the trunk frame. The work is done using a grinder.
- Cut elements from a suitable metal with a grinder, which will later become the stiffeners of the product. If there is no need to transport very heavy loads, it is enough to prepare two longitudinal and transverse elements.
- Weld pieces of metal together so that you get two identical rectangles. One of them will be the bottom of the trunk, and the second is needed as a side.
- Strengthen the lower rectangle by welding to it, at the same distance from each other, stiffeners.
- Spliced together the bottom of the structure and the side. This can be done by welding at the corners of rectangles, placed one above the other, and at several points on the sides, metal rods or tubes with a diameter smaller than the main structure.
At the end of the welding work, the metal is lightly sanded and painted in the color selected for the structure.
In order to quickly, correctly and efficiently make a roof rack on a car roof with your own hands, it is important to carry out the work in the following sequence:
- Prepare all the necessary materials and tools.
- Draw up a drawing of the future structure, as well as the principle of its installation.
- Make a trunk according to measurements and a developed design drawing.
- Fix the finished roof rack in the chosen way.
Before starting work, it is important to measure the roof of the car, on which the trunk will be installed. And when developing a drawing of a future trunk, take into account not only this, but also the geometry of the roof.
DIY roof rack
One of the most common problems for motorists is the lack of free space to transport large or bulky cargo. To remedy this shortcoming, some manufacturers equip cars with additional roof racks. And those drivers whose car is not equipped with a roof rack can make and install it themselves. But in order for the result to meet all expectations, it is important to understand how and from what to make a structure.
Before starting the manufacture and installation of a trunk with his own hands on the roof of a car, it is important for the owner to complete a number of preparatory work. These include:
- Selection of the most suitable type of construction;
- The choice of the main material from which the trunk will be assembled;
- Selection of the type of fastening that will be used for mounting the finished structure on the roof.
The final result of the work directly depends on the thoroughness of these activities.
Decide on the type of attachment
Mounting a homemade roof rack on a car can be done in the following ways:
- Regular installation. It can be produced when the manufacturer has provided special mounting holes in the roof of the vehicle. In this case, the trunk is fixed by bolting it to the body at several points along the perimeter.
- Universal installation. It is carried out by installing special fasteners in the holes of the gutters.
- Installation on roof rails. These structural elements are longitudinal side rails located on the roof of the machine.
Car roof mount
To install a car rack on the roof of a car with your own hands, you will need rails mounted on the sides. If they are not there, these elements can also be made by yourself. This requires:
- From a metal pipe using a grinder, cut two pieces of the same size, suitable for the length of the roof.
- A generous layer of polyurethane foam is applied to the metal on all sides and left to dry completely.
- After the foam has hardened, with the help of grinding tools, the products are given the required shape.
- The resulting crossbars in 2-3 layers are covered with fiberglass.
- Finished roof rails are painted black or any other suitable color.
After that, the roof rails are mounted on the roof of the car using clamps for car mufflers. All unnecessary parts of the clamp are cut off without fail so that in the end only a flat plate is obtained on the railing. Further, symmetrical mounting holes are drilled in the rails on both sides. The prepared plates must be drilled at the same points. After these manipulations, the cross members are bolted to the roof of the machine. If the products fit loosely, a small rubber gasket can be laid between the plate and the railing.
DIY roof rack installation
The finished trunk is attached to the roof rails using brackets. In the absence of crossbars and unwillingness to do them yourself, the trunk can be attached directly to the roof of the car. However, in this case, you will have to drill holes for the brackets in the car body, and fix the roof rack with their help.
Rear door mounted bike carriers
Thule FreeWay 968 is a relatively inexpensive hatchback and station wagon tailgate bike carrier. Capacity. 3 bicycles, carrying capacity up to 50 kg, i.e. three mountain bikes can be installed safely. The design, although large when unfolded, can be easily folded. Parts that come into contact with the car body are equipped with rubber pads to protect the paintwork.
The BlackPac 973 is a more expensive design. The mount accommodates three bicycles, and does not surpass the previous version in terms of carrying capacity. However, it is possible to install special adapters here to increase their number. Special retractable trays for bicycle wheels allow you to conveniently and quickly attach them to pipes. By the way, they are also equipped with rubber wraps. Advantages: versatility to the car brand, frame sizes, compactness.
The RaceWay 992 is the most expensive roof rack in this range. The maximum number of bicycles is 3, the total load capacity is 45 kg. In terms of functionality, this model is similar to the listed analogs. Distinctive features. metal fastening to the rear door. And of course it has a lock.
Convenience of transporting bicycles by car
Let’s say you need to transport a whole bike for 500 km, or it was bought for someone as a gift. There is a personal car in the arsenal, so why not use the car as a means of transportation?
Benefits of using a bike rack:
- No need to disassemble and reassemble the bike.
- Thule’s compact designs ensure a secure fit.
- Installed large on the body will practically not affect the dynamics of the car.
- Saves space in the trunk.
In some cases, for example, a unique model of an expensive bike, unprofessional disassembly later will not make it possible to assemble it back. The same applies to cases when a bike is lucky to someone as a gift. Better to bring it whole than disassembled.
When the road is long, the luggage compartment in the car is a must. Having taken up a significant amount of its space with a disassembled bike (especially if the trunk is small), the driver will not leave space there for tools, a spare wheel, a container with fuel, etc.
Thule has a proven track record of making strong and secure structures. Simplicity is beautifully combined with safety here. A car goes without load, of course, faster than with luggage, but the losses in dynamics are not so noticeable. But the small volume of the luggage compartment occupied by a bicycle cannot be crossed out.
All these advantages make transporting two-wheeled vehicles by car simple and safe. The only thing to consider when installing luggage is the capacity of the structure (do not put two bicycles if the carrier holds only one), as well as the visibility of the light signals (if, for example, the bike is attached to the rear door or towbar).
Thule bike carrier overview
Types of bike mounts on the car body
Mounts for transporting bikes by car are available in three versions:
- on the hitch;
- on the back door;
- on the roof.
Hitching your bikes to the towbar is a great solution for anyone who takes a lot of things with them in the covered luggage compartment and in the roof box. The design can duplicate turn and brake lights like a standard trailer.
Despite the apparent instability, this mount allows you to firmly fix more than one bike and does not affect aerodynamics in any way. The only negative is close contact with the road, which is not always of good quality. However, you can put on a special cover on the bike to protect it from stones and dirt.
The second option is installation on the rear door of the car. This design can hold up to three bicycles. It is easy to install, but not suitable for every machine. The advantages of transportation in this way:
- looks more reliable compared to the towbar;
- the car takes up less space when driving in a stream;
- the negative impact of the road is lower, it does not affect the aerodynamics of the car.
Disadvantage. it may not always be convenient to open the trunk.
And finally, the third way to mount bikes is on the roof of a car. Very simple fastening structure, inaccessibility of the bike for stones and road dirt, as well as cost. these are the advantages of this type of fastening.
As standard, 1. 2 bicycles per car are installed on the upper part of the body, but up to five of them can be accommodated using additional equipment. Of course, on the appropriate car and subject to safety.
Thule bike carrier for car
The confrontation between the bicycle and the car is in the distant past. Now these two types of transport are closely adjacent and complement each other. For example, city trips are much faster and cheaper using a bicycle. But, for example, if you need to transport a bike over a considerable distance, then it will be problematic to ride it.
Thule solves this problem once and for all with special bike mounts. That is, the bicycle acts as luggage, and the structure itself has a simple and understandable name. the trunk. How convenient is outdoor transportation of bicycles by car, what methods can be used to secure it, as well as an overview of several models. all this will be presented in the article.
Racks with towbar bike racks:
Thule Xpress 970 is a pull-on rack that allows you to transport two bicycles. Differs in simple and quick installation, does not require additional adjustments. The structure can be tilted if you need to open the rear door of the car. Has a protection system. This is a lock that will prevent theft of your bike. Distinctive features. convenience, simplicity and low cost.
A more expensive option compared to the previous one is Thule Hang On 9708. It is also mounted on a tow hitch, has four cells, and is compatible with all frame sizes. Despite such a significant advantage and a high price compared to the Xpress, this model is not equipped with a security lock.
VeloCompact 925 is the most expensive and functional of the presented towbar models. Main advantages:
- two-minute installation, compactness;
- fastening frames and wheels of various types and sizes;
- anti-theft system;
- tilt foot pedal;
True, the prescribed number of bicycles is only two, i.e. this expensive option is twice as large as the previous one.
Thule bike roof racks
The FreeRide 532 is an inexpensive rack for one bike. It is possible to fix to the right and left in the direction of the vehicle. The maximum permissible weight is up to 17 kg. Frame sizes range from 22 to 70, all wheel sizes are available. Locking lock and T-rail adapter available.
Thule Proride 591 is a reliable and functional mount with a 20 kg load capacity. All standard sizes of wheels and frames of bicycles are available, you can install both the wheel and the frame at the same time. Thanks to this, it is possible to mount only the frame without wheels on the roof. The design is compatible with several models of arches, the set includes a T-adapter and a lock.
How to make a Bike Rear Rack w a MAGNETIC U-lock Mount! (no welding)
Mounting mobility: can be installed on any side of the vehicle, quick adjustment for any wheel size and effortless fixation.
Bicycle car racks are convenient and modern solutions for travelers. There’s no need to invent homemade unsafe designs when you have a huge selection of Thule mounts at your fingertips. With roof racks, long journeys with a two-wheeled friend will not burden you, will pass without the risk of damaging your car or bicycle, and will also ensure road safety.
How to properly install a roof rack
All of us, sooner or later, are faced with a situation when, having gathered on a long journey, it turns out that the number of necessary things is many times greater than the cargo capacity of our car. And there is no way to pack everything you need.
You can limit yourself in relation to the necessary things and lose somewhere in the pleasure of rest or in material terms, buying or renting something that does not fit into the car.
You can about Honor this article and come to the conclusion that the best solution would be a roof rack. It will serve as additional space for the necessary luggage, even as large as skis, snowboards, fishing tackle, a bicycle and even a tent for 12 people.
And for starters, here are some valuable tips for installing and using your car roof rack:
- Always follow the rules specified in the installation and operating instructions of the structure, especially with regard to the clamping conditions.
- Pay special attention to the load level, it is not advisable to exceed it.
- The most optimal combination is a set of aluminum profiles with steel beams.
- If you don’t need it, then dismantle it to save fuel.
A variety of types and modifications will allow you to choose for any type of transport. It is also possible to select a car trunk depending on the types of cargo that you plan to transport.
Which roof rack to choose and how to install the roof rack correctly.
In order for the purchase to be a good investment for you and provide maximum comfort in operation, it is important to think over everything to the smallest detail. What kind of car luggage carrier suits you, what kind of cargo it is intended for. How often do you plan to use your car rack and more.
Pay attention to the most basic points that are important to consider when choosing a trunk:
Many, purchasing a universal roof rack, are sure that the issue has been resolved, but in fact, universal roof racks are universal in terms of the types of cargo that I will carry in it, but in no way in combination with any model of the car roof.
If you are planning to transport a bike, then this must be taken into account when choosing a rack, since bike racks are special, and not every rack is suitable for this.
For a tall car, it will be optimal to purchase a trunk that opens on both sides, which will simplify the procedure for loading and unloading luggage.
It is also very important to understand that the quality of the trunk is reflected in its price. For example, a cheap trunk can vibrate during transportation. It can also rust and fail much faster, the gaps will also rise, and the safety of the cargo will be in doubt.
You also need to be careful with expensive trunks, because they are often stolen, which means you will have to constantly dismantle it if the car is left unattended. And this is an additional discomfort.
It is imperative to take into account the make of your car, the model of the roof of the vehicle, the year of manufacture, and the type of body. Also consider the material from which the roof bars are made. For the manufacture of rods, two types of material are used: aluminum or steel.
If you do not plan to use the car rack all the time, then a steel rack is quite suitable for one-time use. If you use steel fastening systems regularly or on a long journey, then they have a decrease in aerodynamics, which leads to an increase in fuel consumption.
Aluminum roof racks are good for long-term use for the following reasons:
- Stable aerodynamics, which means fuel economy on long journeys.
- Corrosion-resistant coating that will extend the lifespan of the trunk.
In terms of dimensions, an adjustable design is ideal. Especially for those who prefer versatile models. In any case, the size of the structure must be selected to the maximum, in order to fully meet the needs. After all, a well-chosen car rack can significantly increase the load capacity, even of a small car.
It is also important to determine the load level for the vehicle and the structure. To withstand a certain weight limit, roof rails have been designed to support 75-100 kg, without forgetting the roof options of your vehicle. After all, there is no point in a trunk of 100 kg when the roof of your vehicle is designed for a maximum of 70 kg. You can find out more precise information about the possibilities of the roof of your vehicle from the instruction manual. This means that before choosing a car trunk, you need to read the operating instructions for your car again.
The next step is to determine the fixing pattern and the intended types of consideration of the fixing system on your vehicle. Roof rails roll on the roof of the car. Do not forget that many cars are not designed to fit a trunk.
When the type of car trunk corresponding to your vehicle has been determined and purchased, it is time to proceed to the assembly of the structure:
There are several basic installation methods:
The first method: in the presence of roof rails, we select the appropriate rails. The rails must necessarily correspond to the length of the beam, this is very important for the subsequent reliability of the fastening of the car trunk.
The second method: if there are no rails, we purchase a set of accessories that allow you to attach the trunk to the car.
Roof rack installation
Take a close look at the assembly and installation process of the roof rack:
It is very easy and simple to install a car roof rack by yourself. Depending on your car, you can install the trunk using roof rails, rails or special mounting kits.
Installing a universal roof rack is the simplest thing that will take you no more than 30 minutes. Also, their popularity is due to the ease of assembly and high quality of parts, which are absolutely safe and will not harm the coating of the car.
Installation of a roof rack at anchor points is possible, provided that the roof of the car is not equipped with rods or longitudinal rails. First of all, you need to install the clutch, here the adapter kits will differ by model, and install the rails on the roof.
Installing a rack without rails and attachment points will not require a lot of effort and time from you. They are considered to be quite versatile and easy to install. Please note that the distance between the legs is adjustable, which adds to the versatility of this design. It is necessary to carefully assemble the rail, install it on the roof of the car. Tighten the clips and the housing itself tightly. Now the same process must be done with the second rail.
The distance between the slats is about 750 cm, in case of deviation, you may encounter difficulties when transporting things. It is also necessary to draw attention to the fact that moving the sliding handles can make it difficult to open and close the car doors. If you have a station wagon or a hatchback, then it is important to pay attention to the design and its coexistence with the car doors.
When the rack is installed, you can install specialized devices for transporting skis, kayaks and more. Everyone chooses the most suitable method for themselves.
The weight of the load is of great importance. Basically, the maximum declared weight that the structure can withstand is 75 kg.
For more accurate information, specifically about your trunk, you can read Honor in the instruction manual.
When distributing baggage, the following rules must be observed:
- the load is distributed ½ between the beams;
- ¼ cargo on the front and rear of the trunk.
This will keep the balance and load harmoniously distributed throughout the trunk. Also helps to avoid deformation of the shipping box.
After installing and distributing luggage in accordance with the above rules, you need to ride a few kilometers. This procedure will allow you to assess whether the structure is securely fixed and whether the luggage is correctly distributed.
Making a trunk with your own hands is very simple
I made a wooden trunk in one working day from dry planed boards bought in a construction supermarket. Material. spruce, preferably without knots (the knot should not be allowed to fly out while the car is moving).
In total, 4 boards with dimensions of 3000 x 120 x 20 mm were needed. They cost quite inexpensively, 500 rubles at 2009 prices. I remember that a special rack for carrying only one bicycle cost 10 times more! And my trunk has 10 times more capacity!
I dismissed each board lengthwise into two parts and sawed lengthwise to size. so 4 blanks were obtained from one board. And all you need is 11 longitudinal strips and 4 transverse ones. Then he sharpened the edges with a plane. I also rounded the longitudinal slats with a milling cutter.
I pressed the transverse strips to the arcs of the car with clamps, and attached the extreme longitudinal strips to them with self-tapping screws. So I got the overall dimensions of the product. Then I assembled the trunk shield using glue and self-tapping screws.
Putting the assembled shield on the arcs of the car, I found the position of the other two cross bars and clamped them with clamps. Each arc was sandwiched between two cross members. It remains to remove the shield and finally tie all the strips with glue and self-tapping screws.
Solution to the problem: material for the car trunk
To begin with, in order to bring the material, you need to dissolve the sheets lengthwise into two parts. this service is provided by many trading companies. Then lay the sheets on a flat base of the appropriate size.
This was the basis for my homemade trunk of the simplest design. I put the sheets on the boards laid along the car, and pressed the front edge of the entire pack in front with a transverse board bolted to the longitudinal boards. This “end” board prevents the material from being lifted off the base by counter airflow.
From above, the whole set was pressed to the base with special transverse boards, pulled to the trunk by tightening straps. The transverse boards have cutouts at the edges for the tapes (so that they do not jump off), and the edges of these cutouts are rounded. so the tapes will not fray when transporting materials.
Of course, the most important part of this whole system is a removable wooden shield that can be put on the arcs of the car. I will dwell on it in more detail.
A simple trunk for a car with your own hands
Bringing several sheets of thin material such as hardboard, thin plywood and others is a problem that DIYers often face. Our author found a solution by constructing a simple trunk for his car for this purpose.
Once I needed to bring some HDF1 sheets. This modern material, which furniture makers rarely do without, is of high quality and at the same time inexpensive. The sheets do not require further finishing; they are available in various colors and grades. But delivering them to the workshop yourself is a big problem. The dimensions of the workpieces are 2.8 x 2.07 m and the thickness is only 3 mm. You can’t just load a car on ordinary arcs. Another option is to hire a Gazelle. But then the delivery price will be comparable to the cost of the material, and you will have to carry practically “air”.
Installing a trunk on a car
When it becomes necessary to bring a load, first I put a wooden trunk on the car so that the arcs are between the transverse strips of the shield. Then I insert furniture bolts into the holes from above. At the top, the bolt heads are recessed and when screwing in the nuts, they do not turn due to the part of the square head. There are four attachment points in total: each of them has a plate and two furniture bolts with wing nuts.
This wooden trunk has been helping me out for 7 years already: I used it to transport sheets of metal, doors, a mirror, a bicycle and many other goods that cannot be delivered on conventional arches.
Do-it-yourself roof rack
In order to make with your own efforts a roof rack designed for the roof of your car, you need to do the following:
- We select the material for the manufacture of the trunk:
First you need to choose the material from which you will make this structure. The best material will be metal, as it is durable and reliable. But for such a trunk you need a material with a low weight, and reliable, durable characteristics. The most suitable option would be an aluminum alloy, because this metal is easily processed and formed into the desired shape, does not corrode, and has a low specific gravity. Also, some use a thin-walled profile pipe for the manufacture of trunks. One of the most economical roof rack materials is stainless steel sheet. Many people use it for the manufacture of such structures. But the disadvantage of this material is its heavy weight and high cost.
Square tube for making trunk
- We measure the car:
After you have chosen the material from which you will make the trunk, it is important to make accurate measurements of the car. Thanks to this, you can calculate the required amount of material, its weight, and the approximate price.
In order to make it easier and more convenient to manufacture, you can measure the dimensions of the car (width and length) in advance, and draw up a drawing:
- bearing part (panel). the bottom of the trunk, which serves as its reinforcement;
- jumpers. elements that reinforce the trunk.
The front side can be streamlined, which will significantly improve aerodynamic properties.
Now that you have decided on the material, you must follow the detailed instructions below:
- We cut out the profile according to a previously prepared scheme, using a grinder for this;
- Using welding, we make the perimeter of the trunk. This part will be rectangular;
- The resulting perimeter should be reinforced by welding straight jumpers onto it. For stronger reinforcement, jumpers can be welded together, resulting in a lattice base of the trunk;
- A metal profile arc should be welded to the front of the trunk to create a more streamlined shape and improve aerodynamic properties;
- Next, you need to make the sides of the structure. First, we cut the metal racks 6 centimeters long. In most cases, the craftsmen make the sides removable, so the sides need not be easily welded into the frame, but screwed into the thread. What is needed for this? It is necessary to drill holes in the frame into which the bushings are welded. These elements are necessary to prevent deformation of the bolts when screwing in;
- Next, you need to weld the racks to the upper crossbar, which completely coincides with the base, differing only in that its side parts. right and left. are made a little shorter. The racks, which are located in front, are installed at a slight angle so that the resulting structure does not look like a box or box, but completely repeats the main contour of the car;
- After the completion of welding, the next stage is painting and installation on the roof of the car. Before painting the body, you need to apply a layer of primer, and let the primer dry for some time, this is necessary so that the paint stably holds for a long time and does not flake off. Next, you can apply a layer of paint, and the best option is if it is paint in cans, since there will be no drips from it;
- Fastening the trunk to the car. If roof rails are provided on the car roof, then the roof rack is installed on them. These body elements are able to withstand the load of the trunk. If there are no rails, then you will have to drill holes in the roof and install the brackets, on which the finished structure is then mounted. Some vehicles have grooves for mounting the boot. Also, if you do not want to drill the roof of your car to install the brackets, you can find various mounts specially designed for such cases.
Homemade trunk for a car
Homemade car roof rack
Often motorists are concerned about the lack of free space in the car, which is necessary for transporting things, equipment, machinery, building materials or other items. Many cars are simply not designed to carry any additional items and cargo. If you often go to activities such as fishing, hunting with friends, or traveling with your family at sea, then you need to think about additional space on your car for transporting cargo. Unfortunately, in most cars when buying, the kit does not provide an additional roof rack.
A good option would be to make a homemade roof rack designed for the roof of your car. This option is very economical, and with a small amount of effort, you can acquire invaluable skill in designing, calculating and manufacturing a structure on your own. Such homemade luggage racks are called expeditionary ones, since you cannot put too heavy things on such a structure, but you can carry everything you need for the trip on them: tents, bicycles, skis, mattresses, umbrellas, snowboards, fishing rods, or whole sets of clothes.
Also, a very popular type of homemade trunk is an auto box. The advantages of this design are that the transported things will be safe even in bad weather, and the design of the car box itself, made with a streamlined shape, will not affect the aerodynamic properties and fuel consumption of your car. Now, when buying a car, it is very rare to provide a trunk in the kit, despite the presence of a specially equipped place and fasteners for its installation. Therefore, you can make a trunk with your own hands based on the necessary parameters of your car.
Advantages and disadvantages of similar homemade trunks
Each type of roof rack has its own advantages and disadvantages. The advantages of such products include:
How To Fit A Bike Into (Almost) Any Car | Transport A Bike Without A Roof Rack
- increase in space for cargo transportation;
- protection of the roof of a car from impacts or dents;
- the ability to transport a boat, skis, bicycles, boxes, suitcases, snowboards, fishing rods, and construction equipment.
- deterioration of car handling due to improper distribution of cargo;
- deterioration of the aerodynamic properties of the car;
- the noise level in the cabin increases;
- increased fuel consumption due to drag forces.