Which Way to Tighten Bike Pedals?
How to properly remove the pedal from the bike
Once all the necessary materials and equipment are prepared, it’s time to start removing the pedal. Dismantling conventional mechanisms involves a number of the following steps:
- The pedal is removed from the connecting rod using an adjustable wrench.
- Using a screwdriver, the pedal plug located at the end is removed.
- Unscrewing the locknut must be done while holding the axle with a wrench.
- The lock washer is removed.
- Go to unscrewing the cone.
- Carefully remove the bearings so as not to loose the balls.
- Now the pedal platform itself is removed from the axis.
Disassembling contact models is a little more complicated. In this case, for twisting and disassembling, it is necessary to use a puller to help hold the axle.
This part of the bike is divided into several parts:
- Platform. The flat part. It is she who directly contacts the leg. The platform is attached to the axle.
- The axle is a metal pin that is screwed into the connecting rod. The axis is the basis on which the rest of the structure rests.
- Bearings. parts that ensure the rotation of the pedals, as well as connect the platform to the axle.
- Fittings. fixing parts (bolts, nuts). They attach and hold composite parts.
By the type of platforms there are regular and contact platforms. The latter are equipped with a bicycle shoe holder. The contact platform will be more difficult to remove due to a different installation scheme.
How to unscrew the pedals on a bicycle. step by step instructions
Dismantling bike parts has its own algorithm. Transport should be put on wheels. This will make it easier to unscrew the parts. less effort is required.
- The process begins by removing the right pedal. The connecting rod is set at 45 degrees, the so-called 3 o’clock (for the left one. a turn at 9 o’clock is provided). In this case, the connecting rod should be parallel to the ground and “look” at the front wheel.
- Unscrew the part counterclockwise (left. in the opposite direction). This pedal has a regular thread. Remove pedal.
- Remove the plug on the side of the platform.
- Open the locknut, unscrew it (the axis must be held with the second key).
- Remove the washer, and then the platform.
- The bearings are removed separately. It will be advisable to put a newspaper or cloth under them in order to prevent the loss of balls if the bearing is assembled.
How to put bike pedals back in place?
Before installing these parts on your bike, it is advisable to check for grease on them. In the absence of such, it is advised to lubricate the threads. This will both protect against corrosion and facilitate future removal.
They use waterproof lubricants. For example, lithol, as well as grease. A competent installation involves cleaning from dirt and removing the previous grease on the threads with a degreaser (degreasing agent).
Professionals recommend that you carry out the installation process by hand. It is imperative to screw in perpendicular to the axis. This action must be performed as carefully as possible to avoid damage to the thread. Since during the subsequent unscrewing, a serious problem may appear. In a word, axle misalignment must not be allowed.
Arming has the same algorithm as disarming, but in reverse order. And the twist is already happening in the other direction. A hex wrench will help you to screw in if there is a slot on the side, designed for a hexagon.
But there is one drawback of using such a key. it is impossible to give them a fairly strong load and screw in all the way. Due to this fact, it is good to tighten first with a hex wrench, then tighten finally with an open-end.
How to put a pedal on a bike.
By the way, before starting the installation process, it would be very good to clean from old grease and dirt with a degreaser not only the thread on the pedal axis, but also the thread in the connecting rods.
Degreaser (degreaser) is a special degreasing compound designed to remove dirt, grease, oil.
Removing the pedals from the bike is easy enough, but don’t forget about preparing tools and materials, as well as possible problems. The main thing is to keep the entire system in order, since in case of damage or other problems, the inconvenience of using the bike will be very great.
Removing the pedals
After preparation, you can proceed with the removal process. For conventional mechanisms, it looks like this:
- We move the system to the working side. in the direction of the steering wheel.
- We try to carefully unscrew the pedals from the connecting rod.
- Remove the plug at the end of the platform, open the lock nut.
- Unscrew the lock nut, holding the axle at the connecting rod with the second key.
- Remove the washer (also at the end).
- Unscrew the cone.
- We remove the platform from the axle, holding the bearings (it is better to remove them separately, if they are bulk, then put a rag or sheet so that they do not roll far).
- Pedal removed and disassembled!
It is important not to forget that the left and right pedals are unscrewed from the connecting rod in their direction: on the right axis. the right thread, on the left. the left.
The contact devices are a little more difficult to disassemble, but they will not cause any problems. when twisting and disassembling, a puller is used, which should hold the axis with a small contact pad.
Features of pedal repair
The presence of torsional obstacles is associated with mechanical stress due to external factors. To eliminate such problems, you need:
- Treat pedals with kerosene product or solvent. This procedure is necessary to remove dirt that interferes with rotation.
- Heat connecting rod with axle. Due to slight damage, the thread is easier to loosen and the axle is removed.
Install the axle carefully, as this will prevent damage to the threads. Otherwise, dismantling will be difficult.
What the pedal consists of?
The pedal is an important component of the system, consisting of:
Pedal Tools & Thread Direction
- a set of sprockets;
- connecting rod carriages;
- axes. the base part of the structure;
- platforms. a stand that is needed for contact with the feet;
- bearings used to connect the axle to the platform;
- fittings are bolts and nuts that fix other parts.
- contact, where there is a mount for special shoes;
These types of pedals are difficult to remove. Contact mechanisms have a more complex fastening. Combined fixtures can be removed in the same way as contact fixtures. On the one hand, they include ordinary pads, and on the other, contact.
Variety of pedals
Depending on the platform, the pedals are divided into:
The pedal is a unit that includes:
The right pedal has a regular right-hand thread. On the left. left-sided or “reverse”.
The frictional force of the assembly can loosen the threaded attachment of the pedal. In this regard, the thread on the left pedal is reversed. But the reason does not come from the very fact of bearing friction, but from a phenomenon called “”.
The phenomenon can be illustrated as follows. If you freely grasp the pencil with your fist and spin it in a circle, the pencil itself will rotate in the opposite direction.
According to unverified data, the first reverse thread on the left pedal was used by the Wright brothers (Wright).
Despite the precession, pedals should always be tightened especially firmly.
In this case, the threaded connections must be lubricated with grease (or, in extreme cases, with oil).