Why is there a violation of speed switching
To understand what action should be taken to adjust gear shifting, you need to understand what causes can lead to the problem in question. Experts identify several such predisposing factors:
- deformation of the rooster;
- stretching the cable;
- deformation of the speed switch;
- malfunctioning return spring.
Adjusting the front derailleur
- We put the speed switch in the following ratio: the smallest star in the front and the largest in the back;
- We unscrew the cable;
- Using the screw of the limiter for low gears, we adjust the position of the frame, it should be at a distance of no more than 3 millimeters from the chain;
- Stretch the front derailleur cable slightly;
- Switch the speed to the middle sprocket and check if the chain is touching the outer frame. If it touches, it is necessary to tighten the cable more;
- We put the derailleur on the smallest sprocket and check how easy it is to change gears. If the switch does not work, adjust the high gear limiter screw.
How to adjust the speed switch on a bike
Having become the happy owner of a bike, you should be prepared for the fact that over time you will have to carry out basic maintenance of the bike yourself. Of course, if we are talking about a serious malfunction, it is best to seek help from specialists, but many manipulations can be safely performed on your own.
To understand the process of self-adjusting the speed switch, you need to know the definition of some specific terms, otherwise it will be difficult to understand the instructions.
- Speed switch (crossover). This is a transmission element that is specifically responsible for gear shifting. If there is a rear crossover, then it also acts as a support for the tension of the bicycle chain. The crossover (back and front) can be described as follows: it is a parallelogram mechanism equipped with a powerful return spring, on which the frame is fixed. The rear derailleur has two rollers inside the frame. if the level of cable tension increases, then the frame shifts the chain to large stars, and if this cable tension decreases, then the chain is shifted towards small stars with the help of the frame. The mechanism of the front derailleur works in the same way.
- Shifter. It is designed to switch speeds by changing the tension level of the cable. Most often, the shifter is located on the handlebars, but in some bicycles it can also be located on the lower tube of the frame triangle. Note:shifters and speed switches have a common connection on the steering wheel (this is provided by a cable) and are covered with a jacket.
- Cassette. This is the name of the rear transmission unit, which consists of stars of different sizes (of different diameters and with a different number of teeth) and is installed on the rear hub drum. If the bike is old, then a ratchet is used instead of a drum in the rear hub.
- Cock. It is a metal part that helps maintain the integrity of the frame and rear derailleur in the event that the vehicle has been hit. The rooster is always attached to the frame, and a cross-over is already attached to this metal part. When a blow occurs, it is this very cock that breaks, and the frame and the speed switch (crossover) remain intact.
- System. This is the name of the front transmission unit, which consists of stars of different diameters and with a different number of teeth. These stars are fastened to each other and the connecting rods with special hollow bolts on the connecting rods, but you need to know that there are no hollow bolts in cheap bicycles. the stars and connecting rods are riveted to each other.
Required set of tools:
Setting switches at home
Now let’s figure out how to set up the high-speed system ourselves. Derailleurs on bicycles with multi-gear transmission are divided into front and rear. The latter are most vulnerable when riding in a variety of road conditions, the risk of damage is higher compared to the front ones, but the adjustment must be done at the very beginning. Obviously, the rear derailleur serves more stars, so it takes longer to set up.
Attention! If there is damage, and the tensioner is not parallel to the frame and cassette, then it will not be possible to correctly adjust the system!
First you need screws L and H. they are clearly visible, no need to look. Also includes a cable adjuster, tension and fixing screws.
- H is used to align the roller with the small rear sprocket. By tightening the screw L, we set the roller on one straight line with the large rear sprocket.
- Set the highest speed on the shifter.
- Tension and fix the cable with the fixing bolt.
- Large gears should be included without interference, otherwise, using the adjuster, the cable is slightly weakened. Additional tension will be needed if gears are poorly reset.
Actually, the adjustment itself is made, it remains to adjust the switching accuracy. This is especially true for systems with a large number of stars. For this, the chain is mounted on a large chainring at the back and a small chainring at the front. By tightening the tension screw, we achieve the optimal position of the roller. as close as possible to the cassette. The same must be done and vice versa: set the chain to the maximum chainring in front and minimum. at the back. The roller should not rub against the cassette, just be located next to it.
How to properly set up the switch in front:
- Check device attachment.
- At minimum speed, release the cable tension.
- Use screw L to create a gap between the derailleur body and the chain (1 mm).
- Secure the cable with the adjusting bolt.
How To Untangle A Bicycle Chain
The same should be done with the H-screw. The maximum speed must be set, and the gap with the chain must not exceed one millimeter.
Adjust the speeds on both bike derailleurs until the chain is free to swing from one sprocket to the other. If it is difficult to walk, it is necessary to adjust the correct position of the cable using the adjusting bolt.
After all the manipulations, the entire system is checked. To do this, you need to ride a bike and try all the recommended gear ratios. Note that on mountain bikes, the transmission adjustment is a common periodic procedure, and if suddenly the transmission goes tight, we are not in a hurry to draw conclusions about the breakdown, but we do what is described above.
Do not think that a high-quality transmission does not need to adjust the shifting system. Yes, it may be necessary to do this less often for shimano components, but sooner or later you will still have to face.
We just saw an easy way to adjust the front and rear derailleurs. Is it really necessary? Adjustment of the shift mechanism is necessary for the transmission, like tires for a wheel. Timely assistance to the “traffic node” will allow not only to solve current problems, but also to prevent them in the future. Eliminate all inconveniences in time and ride with pleasure!
How to adjust the front derailleur
There are also clear and simple step-by-step instructions for adjusting the front derailleur:
- Shifting the chain to a smaller star.
- Unscrew the fixing screw and release the cable.
- We find the screw marked “L”, with its help we adjust the position of the frame so that the chain is between the plates of the frame, but does not touch them.
- We stretch the cable, fix it with a screw.
- Now we move the chain in the cassette to a smaller sprocket. it is convenient to do this using the rear derailleur.
- With the front derailleur, move the chain to the middle sprocket and look. if the chain on the second one touches the outer side of the frame everywhere, then you need to increase the cable tension using the drum located on the left shifter.
- We switch the gear to the largest sprocket in the cassette and check. if the chain touches the walls of the frame, you need to move the last element so that the chain is located in the middle. This manipulation can be done using the screw marked “H”.
How to unravel the chain: TOP-5 simple methods that will definitely help
The women’s box is not just a box of beauty, but also a place in which there is always a mess. After all, in a hurry, we usually do not lay out our jewelry neatly, but simply throw them off in one pile. Because of this attitude, our neck products are often confused. And unraveling the chain is a whole business. And it often happens that even a beautiful thing can lie idle for a long time, since there is simply not enough nerves to put it in order. To do this, you need to at least sit down in silence, move all business aside and scrupulously weave the jewelry knot by knot. And what to do if there is no time for such manipulations at all, for example, there are three small children running around in the house, the husband is already heating the car, and you urgently “got hot” to put on exactly the chain that is most entangled?
Today we will tell you a few simple ways to untie the knot on the chain quickly and without consequences for the accessory.
untangling the chain with baby talcum powder
Talc or baby powder can help reduce friction between the links in the garment, making the chain much easier to untangle. Finely dispersed cosmetic product acts as microscopic balls that penetrate between the links of the jewelry and reduce friction between the rings of the chain.
- soap solution prepared with clean drinking water;
- a plate with warm drinking water for rinsing the chain;
- soft piece of cloth.
- spread the chain on a table or notebook;
- open the decoration clasp;
- apply some talcum powder to one knot. There is no need to apply the powder to all the nodes at once, since it crumbles and there will be no sense;
If there are several nodes, then work with them one by one: go to the second only after unraveling the first, otherwise it will be very difficult and long to work.
- squeeze the knot between your fingers and rub them together, as if rubbing a chain;
- as soon as the grip looses, proceed by inserting two toothpicks into the center of the problem and slowly push the edges of the chain knot;
- then begin to slowly release the jewelry fragments that are inside the knot, in a few minutes the breast will turn into a wonderful accessory again.
Applying this method at the end involves cleaning the product at the end of the process. We recommend that you, as in the previous algorithm, prepare a weak soapy solution, dip the jewelry in it and dry it with a soft cloth.
manipulation of a thin, sharp object
You’ve probably already heard that working with precious alloys using metal sharp objects is strictly prohibited? This is fraught with the fact that scratches may remain on the chain, or if you move your hand inaccurately, you will simply tear the treasured treasure. However, circumstances often happen when there are no ordinary toothpicks at hand, but there is a screwdriver or hairpin.
If you work with the chain with sharp metal tools, be very careful.
- prepare in advance the thinnest screwdriver that you have in your home;
- open the chain clasps;
- place the decoration on a notebook;
- gently insert the thin end of a screwdriver into the middle of the assembly formed on the precious product;
- press the screwdriver firmly against the horizontal surface of the notebook;
- hold the knot with one hand, and slowly and carefully begin to swing the tool left and right with the other;
- with such manipulations, a hole is formed in the center of the node, start stretching it in different directions with a screwdriver;
- soon you will feel that the chain begins to unravel in this place;
- when you can hook a part of it with your finger, then take out the screwdriver and finish the job with your hands.
This method is not the safest, but it will definitely lead to a positive result. However, keep in mind that you will have to be patient or even sedative.
spray for washing windows and washing machine are used
If the chain is very tangled, then a regular glass cleaning spray will help to cope. Surely, you have one such.
To implement this method, you will need:
- glass spray;
- washing machine;
- small clean vessels;
- soap solution in clean drinking water;
- a plate with warm drinking water for rinsing the chain;
- soft piece of cloth.
Glass fluid will reduce the friction between the chain links, and they will begin to slide better over each other.
- unfasten the chain clasp;
- spread the jewelry on a flat surface and apply glass cleaner to problem points;
- place the product in a round plastic box;
- install the box on the washing machine;
- start the washing process, or better. spin;
- at the end of the “vibration massage” session, you will need to straighten the loosened knots manually with your fingers. If the nodes are still difficult to disassemble, then use, for example, toothpicks, as we described in the first method;
- then we “bathe” the product in warm soapy water;
- rinse in drinking water;
- dry with a soft cloth.
If you are not ready to wash, then any device that vibrates well will help you. It could be a food processor, a running car, or something else. The main thing is you need to find the source of good vibration.
How to untangle a thin gold chain at home in 5 minutes
So, for you, we have prepared the five easiest ways that you can easily try at home.
use a needle and thread to clean the chain from hair
It often happens that when the chain is worn, a piece of hair is wrapped around it. Then it becomes very difficult to untangle such a decoration, since the hair tightly fixes the links between them and does not want to let them go. The first thing that comes to mind is to take the chain and set it on fire in the place of confusion so that the hair turns to ash and lets go of the chain. If you have very little time and there is no way to be smart with an accessory, then, of course, this method has a place to be. However, it is not recommended to use it, since overheated sections of the chain are injured, lose their original shine and may even come apart.
If nothing is at hand, then you can use a simple thread with a needle. This method is not the most gentle, but it works better than fire from a lighter.
- a needle with a bright thread;
- all chain washers (see first method).
Remember that in no case should you tug, tear or eagerly straighten the chain, otherwise you will simply break it. Then you have to run to the jeweler for help.
- unfasten the chain and lay it on the table;
- thread the needle;
- thread the point of the needle into the knot of the chain where the hair is gathered;
- stretch the thread through the entire problem area;
- repeat the procedure with a different thread so that your chain is strung on two identical threads;
- then take the threads in your hands and gently pull in different directions in order to slightly loosen the “reel”;
- after which, with scissors, carefully begin to release the chain from the hair, where possible;
- repeat the procedure until you free the entire knot from the hair;
- if all else fails, then add a drop of vegetable oil to the knot to loosen the grip of the links
- then you are advised to wash the chain in soapy water, rinse in clean, dry with a soft cloth.
This method will help you to easily untangle the chain, even if hairs are stuck in it. However, remember that you don’t have to mess with the chains if you store them correctly. We will tell you how to do this in the next heading.
we use vegetable oil
The older generation knows that it is possible to untangle any knot on a thin chain with the help of simple vegetable oil. Any lubricant found in your home or garage can be used as an aid. If you do not want to wipe off the chain from oily drops, then you can even use liquid soap. However, the procedure will be a little more complicated with him. By the way, any oil is suitable: sunflower, olive, corn, baby. It doesn’t matter here.
- a sheet of dark cardboard / thick paper;
- syringe or pipette;
- toothpicks (it is not advisable to use needles, as they can scratch the links of the decoration);
- soap solution in clean drinking water;
- a container with warm drinking water for rinsing the product;
- soft piece of cloth (suitable for cleaning glasses).
- sit on a chair at a comfortable table;
- lay the chain out neatly on the countertop. If you can’t see the nodules well, then you can put a sheet of dark cardboard under the decoration. When carrying out manipulations, do not tighten the formed knots;
- unfasten the fastener, and do it in such a way as to visually fix all problem areas. If you need to cope not with one tangled chain, but with several at once, then, be sure, unfasten the lock on each of them;
- using a pipette or syringe, apply 2. 3 drops of oil to each unit;
Due to the lubricant, the precious alloy will begin to slide better, the links will not cling to each other so much, and it will be much easier to unravel the accessory.
- then take two toothpicks and insert them into the center of one of the knots;
- gently spread the toothpicks in different directions to stretch the knot;
- then completely free the entire length of the chain from these knots;
- repeat the procedure with each of the nodules;
- at the end, when everything is unraveled, prepare warm drinking water with soapy water and dip the chain in it;
- gently rinse the product from oil residues;
- then dip the chain in clean water without adding household chemicals to it;
- dry the chain with a soft, lint-free cloth.
Yes, you will have to sweat a little, as the matter is delicate, and it requires concentration and attention. But the game is worth the candle, because you will unravel your jewelry.
Sprinkle with talcum powder
Talc is completely safe for precious materials and allows you to untangle a complex knot without too much trouble. The principle of operation of this technique is similar to the previous method. A complex knot should be generously sprinkled with baby powder or talcum powder, then gently “crumple” the plexus so that the powder is well distributed over all problematic links in the chain. After that, you can try to gently pull on the plexus of the knot.
After the knot is untangled, wash off the talcum powder with a mild detergent and be sure to dry the product with a paper towel.
We use a sharp object
Sharp objects are used only in the most extreme cases, for example, if all the previous methods did not fit. It is worth starting with soft wooden needles or toothpicks. carefully pick up the chain links in the knot and pull on them, trying not to make the knot even tighter. To facilitate the procedure, you can combine this option with the previous methods: lubricate the chain with oil, strong soapy water, or sprinkle with baby powder. Evenly distributing the additive over the knot, you can use a toothpick.
For the screwdriver method, you need a dark surface, which is not a pity to scratch. The size of the screwdriver is selected depending on the roughness of the weaving of the chain, and it is advisable to leave the choice on a screwdriver with a special softened tip. The sharp edge is carefully inserted into the center of the knot so that the screwdriver seems to go through it. In this case, the tip should rest against the surface. The screwdriver must be started to gently swing from side to side, while pulling back the released links. For this method, you can also use any sharp object, for example, a needle or even a paper clip, but it is more convenient and safer to work with a screwdriver for precious metal.
How to untangle multiple chains?
Working with multiple chains involves the following procedure:
- all chains should be unbuttoned and located on a dark surface;
- if some knots are simple, then they should be unraveled first and the freed object should be removed from the main knot;
- the remaining problem areas are thoroughly lubricated with vegetable oil and unraveled by hand;
- the remaining knots are unraveled with a toothpick or screwdriver;
- then the chains are thoroughly washed with detergents, water and dried.
Stretching the knot gradually
Sometimes a knot can only be unraveled in a few steps if it is too complex. The eye can “get tired”, so it is worth trying to untangle a complex knot in several approaches, and put it off until the next time, as soon as you get bored. In difficult cases, it is recommended to combine the listed methods and try to untangle the chain first by hand, removing the main intricacies, then using lubricant and a vibrating surface, then manually again. In extreme cases, the product can be handed over to a jewelry workshop.
How to untangle a knot on a gold or silver chain?
Chains made of precious metals have to be unraveled most often, and due to the nature of the material, one should be careful in choosing the appropriate method. Trying to untangle a thin gold chain incorrectly, you can accidentally damage the material or weaving, so the choice of method should be approached responsibly.
How To Untangle A Bike Chain
Regardless of which method was chosen, you must follow the following rules:
- the place where all the work is carried out must be well lit and have a flat surface, otherwise you can confuse the product even more;
- it is more convenient to work on a black or other dark surface that clearly contrasts with the color of the metal;
- the product should be unfastened and spread out along its entire length on the surface. At the same time, you cannot pull strongly on the edges of the product. this will tighten the knot even tighter.
Note! Items made of precious materials. gold or silver. should never be untangled with metal needles. They are very easy to damage metal and weaving. As a last resort, you can use wooden toothpicks.
Spray window cleaner
A detergent for cleaning glass surfaces and windows can unexpectedly be used not only for its intended purpose, but also in order to untangle the chain. Window cleaner works in a similar way to other lubricants, such as soapy water or sunflower oil, but should be used with greater care due to its composition and colorants. The intricate chain knot is generously sprinkled with a window cleaner and the product is left on the vibrating surface.
This could be a cell phone or a washing machine. The vibrations will relax a tricky knot. Then you can try to untangle the chain with your fingers. this should be quite simple. As with other methods, the window cleaner must be washed off with a mild detergent, then rinsed with water and dried thoroughly with a towel.
Lubricate the chain with oil, soap
The most common cause of difficulty in untangling a metal chain is high friction. You can reduce it by using soapy water or vegetable oil. It’s simple: the problematic knot must be well lubricated with the selected solution and then rolled in your fingers. Oil or soap will help the links slip less, reduce friction and unravel the knot without problems. After completing the procedure, excess fat or soap is removed with a dry napkin, and then the item is degreased with a mild detergent.
What signs are given by a knot on a chain
Among the many jewelry that a woman uses for her transformation, the undoubted leader is the gold chain. It can be very short or reach such length as to flirtatiously hide in the neckline. The openwork weave of various widths and the presence of an elegant pendant only add attractiveness and style to this product. But, in addition to its decorative function, this decor has a sacred meaning. According to popular belief, a metal chain closed in a ring (especially gold, since it symbolizes the sun) protects the wearer from negative influences: evil eye, slander, aggression of an energy vampire. And how offensive it can be when, wanting to put it on, you find an ugly knot.
What signs are given by a knot on a chain
- Negative is addressed to you. A knot may indicate a negative impact on you. It can be anything from a simple evil eye to solid magical work. The knot itself will help you understand all the seriousness and depth. The more difficult it is to untie it, the more serious the directed negative.
- An energetic vampire has appeared in your environment. Or someone wishes you trouble.
Important! At the same time, this decoration prevents attempts to influence, and the knot is the result of its work.
- Personal protection problems. A particularly bad sign is a knot in conjunction with a darkening of the metal or a rupture. These two factors suggest that your personal defenses have been compromised.
To believe or not to folk signs is a personal matter for everyone. But as they say, he who is forewarned is armed.
Causes of nodes on a chain
Before we start listing the ways to fix this problem, let’s figure out why this problem appears. This can happen for several reasons.
- Improper storage. This decoration needs to be kept in limbo.
Attention! Never put the chain in the box with other accessories. This action will one hundred percent lead to confusion.
- Continuous wearing. In addition to the fact that the body must periodically rest, there is also a hygienic aspect. From constant contact with the skin, the metal can become covered with sebum.
- Sacred reasons.
Important! You especially need to be on your guard if the chain around the neck of a pregnant woman is tangled. According to popular belief, this predicts the entanglement of the fetus with the umbilical cord and, as a result, difficult childbirth.
How magic interprets the appearance of knots
Special attention should be paid to the mystical explanation of this incident. After all, human signs are made up of long-term observations, so you should not neglect the centuries-old experience. This is all the more true in relation to an item used as an Amulet or a talisman. The chain with a pectoral cross can be attributed to the same category.
How to untangle knots on a chain: proven methods
Now let’s get down to the question of how to cope with this nuisance on our own. After all, it is not always possible to take a piece of jewelry to a jewelry workshop. Yes, and contacting the wizard will lead to unplanned expenses. In this case, a series of simple steps will help you.
- Rolling out. This method consists of smooth, gradual movements in a circle with a chain taken at both ends. In this case, you should not make sharp and hasty jerks.
- Lubricate the desired area with vegetable oil. Then carefully untangle the knot with a sharp object. After completion, immerse the product in a soapy solution for a few minutes. Then you need to rinse with clean water and remove excess moisture with a paper towel.
Attention! Never use metal needles. The best tool would be a wooden toothpick.
- When rolling, to facilitate the process, you can use baby talc (powder).
- You can also use a sharpened pencil to loosen the knot. Soft lead will not damage expensive metal.
- Use a commercially available dishwashing detergent for better gliding of the chain links.
Whichever method and tools you choose, carry out this process on a flat, brightly lit surface. If you keep the product suspended, then under its own weight the chain will only tighten the knot.
Method number 4. oil
Olive oil is another sure-fire remedy to untangle the chain at home. You need to put the product on a well-lit flat surface, preferably in a contrasting color, and pour a few drops of oil on top. Then, wielding two toothpicks, you should slowly stretch the loops to the sides. The chain must be open and taut.
If the chain gets tangled with the cross, it is important not to rush. A screwdriver helps many in this case. You need to push it into a knot and twist it from side to side to slightly loosen.
Why knots are tied on a chain?
The chain is a universal piece of jewelry that is worn by everyone, young and old: children, boys, girls, men and women, grandmothers, grandfathers. And at least once every person was faced with the fact that nodes appeared on it. Yes, not simple, but such that just fit to cut with steel nippers. Why are they tied?
A knot on a chain always looks very strong and tight. The thing is that the links fall into each other, get stuck. It turns out a kind of puzzle, where you need not only to untie the thread, but also to unhook the tangled links.
By the way, not every chain is tied into knots. To a greater extent, a thin silver or gold chain with an anchor weave is susceptible to the problem. But the carapace weaving and impressive thickness, on the contrary, practically exclude tangling.
Method number 2. with talc
It happens that the links interlock tightly, especially if the nodes are not the first year and particles of dust and dirt have accumulated between them. Then the situation will be saved. ordinary talc. It will easily penetrate the gaps and improve the friction of the links with each other.
You need to sprinkle the bundle thoroughly with talcum powder, and then twist it between your fingers without pressure. As soon as the ties are slightly parted, a sharp, thin object should be inserted into the middle of the knot and the loops should be stretched. By the way, instead of talcum powder, you can use ordinary potato starch or baby powder.
Do not use a steel needle or safety pin to untie knots on a gold and silver chain. She will surely scratch the noble metal. For these purposes, it is better to use toothpicks, sharpened matches, a rod from a pen, a thin plastic skewer.
Method number 3. soap
If the chain gets tangled, many people advise keeping it in a soapy solution. According to legend, she will unravel herself. Whatever it is! For the method to work, the chain must be well soaped, for example, by dropping detergent onto the knot. And again we return to rolling the knot between the fingers. Soap in this case will improve sliding, and the chain will untie very quickly.
If the jewelry has been treated with one or another composition, after untying the knot, it is important to thoroughly rinse it, wipe it with a napkin and dry it in the open air.
how to deal with nodes of any complexity
Many people see the solution to the problem in the sequential unraveling of each link with a needle. But often this approach exhausts all the nerves, and the knot remains where it was. Fortunately, there is no need for small, cumbersome work. All that is needed is to loosen the knot. The stuck links will disengage by themselves, as soon as you lightly roll the tangled lump between your thumb and forefinger for a couple of minutes.
The main secret: to untangle a gold or silver chain, you need to put it on a flat table or object. In no case should you do this on weight! A simple law of physics. gravity works against you and pulls the chain, tightening the knots tighter.
What to do if the chain gets tangled: 4 ways to untie the knots
Each of us has had to untangle knots on a chain at least once in our lives. This can turn into a real problem, if not a tragedy. The desire to quickly untie the annoying fetters in most cases turns into the fact that they are tightened even tighter. Sometimes the product does not withstand rough handling at all and breaks. Therefore, oddly enough it sounds, many, out of fear of harm, wear a chain with knots or, in despair, hide it in a box. In vain! There are several surefire ways to solve the problem in three counts.
Now you know how to untangle a chain. gold or silver. Also, all these methods work with beads. Do not forget to share useful information with loved ones so that they can put their jewelry in proper shape.!