Where to store your bike
For city dwellers who are fond of cycling, the question of where to store a bike is acute. It is difficult in the apartment, because in the season you will need to wash the wheels after each exit so as not to stain the floor. Storing a bicycle in a stairwell is unsafe, since a lover of easy money may appear among respectable neighbors. It is better to rent a garage in order to leave the bike in it without worrying about its safety.
Another option is to contact the management company and ask for a duplicate basement key. But this is also not the best solution, since the condition of the basements in our houses leaves much to be desired, and high humidity can cause serious harm to your iron horse. If the listed options do not suit you and keeping the bike in the apartment is the only possible way out, we will figure out how to do it correctly, i.e. without compromising the comfort of home.
Storage conditions for bicycles
The choice of the right solution depends on the available space: garage, house, apartment. Each has its own options and attachments. usually racks that allow you to store the bike upright, perpendicular to the wall. These stands take up the least amount of space. Wall mounts allow you to store your bike on the wall. These solutions are suitable for apartment residents. Taller freestanding racks are a good solution for temporary or permanent storage of multiple bikes.
However, when choosing an option, be sure to consider the space required to move the bike or open the doors. Some brackets have elements that allow the structure to be folded when not in use, which is very convenient for tight spaces. Also consider the following parameters:
- Weight. If you store the bike in an apartment or house and want to install a rack, take into account the weight of the vehicle and the strength characteristics of the wall so that it does not fall due to its own weight.
- Safety. Will the bike be stored in a place that is accessible to other people? Some wall mounts come with a lock for added security for storage in a potentially theft hazardous environment.
- Surface protection. When storing in an apartment, it is necessary to provide additional protection for the walls and ceiling. There are special racks equipped with small plastic pieces to accommodate both wheels so that the tires do not touch the surface. Or stands with wide plates under the wheel contact points.
- Wheel size. Make sure the intended rack will fit your particular bike model. If you want to store the mountain model on a floor stand, double check that the wheel wells in the rack match the width of the tire. This parameter applies to all racks where wheels are used as support, including wall and floor models.
If you don’t know how to place your bike in a small apartment, it might be more appropriate to do it in the garage.
Loggia and balcony: rules for preserving the bike
If you have a balcony, you can store your bike there. Many of our compatriots are sure that this is generally the only place in the apartment where you can clean unnecessary things. It is good if the loggia is glazed, but if not, keeping a bike on the balcony requires compliance with certain safety requirements:
- Use a cover to protect your vehicle from the elements.
- Block the wheels if the bike is easy to reach.
- Loosen the cables and lubricate the parts with oil before storing in the off-season.
How to store bikes when space is limited.
Storage of bicycles in the apartment
Any bicycle is, first of all, a vehicle that takes up space. So that its storage does not cause conflicts in the family and does not interfere with the household, you need to use special devices. There are a variety of shelving options, from stylish wall mounts to free-standing racks to ceiling structures, all with different characteristics and installation requirements. But they have the same purpose. to support the bike with maximum safety, so as not to damage the derailleur, spokes or fork (or injure a small child or animal).
Stands are a popular option for vertical bike storage. Floor structures are similar to a regular rack. Basically it is a long metal rod with vertical bars, designed for just one bike, not for a bundle. They are suitable for spacious houses or apartments, as well as garages where there is a lot of free space. The front wheel of the vehicle is simply installed on such stands, after which it is fixed.
F-shaped posts. the designs are similar to ordinary hangers. Suitable for garages or rooms where the strength characteristics of the walls do not allow the installation of other types of racks. Most often they are designed for several bicycles. They are easy to move and transport as the racks are lightweight.
Top 5 Best Bike Storage in 2020. Excellent Way To Storage Bike In A Garage
Wall mounts. suitable for rooms with limited space. They are versatile stands that come in a variety of designs: simple hook, hook and tray, hinges or horizontal wall mounts. There are many design options for decorating an apartment. They allow you to fix the vehicle vertically on one wheel. so you can line up several bikes in a row, or horizontally on the upper tube.
Ceiling mounts. great option for garage spaces when storing multiple bicycles. Easily adjustable shelving takes up unused space at the top of the room and is therefore a smart solution. The only real problem is the vehicle’s weight or the ceiling is too high. However, if such a rack is used for storage in the off-season, then the listed problems are not such. you can strengthen the rack or substitute a ladder to fix the vehicle.
Preservation of the bike in the garage
A great option for conservation is to store bicycles in the garage. A great solution for a vehicle, but not for its owner. If the cooperative is located far from home, this method is suitable for permanent rather than temporary placement. If you need to go somewhere urgently, and the only transport is a bike, getting to it quickly will be problematic.
As for the question of how to properly store a bike in the garage in winter, the answer is simple: just like on the balcony. That is, it is necessary to take care that the transport is not damaged due to the conditions of detention. high humidity and low temperatures can provoke premature wear of components and parts.
How can you store a bike in an apartment?
All of these methods have their drawbacks. On the landing, the bike can be smashed or stolen. It may be too damp on the balcony or loggia, and during the period of use of the bike it is often not very convenient to carry it through the living quarters. Finally, in the closet most often the space is already taken, and the bike often has to be placed vertically, while there is often a threat of falling on it of any objects.
What are the advantages of fixing on the wall?
The figure shows the savings in floor space: just look at the space occupied by a standing bike.
What accessories can be used to fix the bike to the wall? The following devices are most common.
Hooks of various modifications. Hooks are the most common fixtures for fixing on the wall. The advantage of the design is the fact that the hooks are not connected to each other, and if the bike accidentally jumps off one point of support, it will remain on the other.
They can be either isolated or combined into a structure, sometimes similar to a shelf. This makes it possible to put some things on it.
If the hooks are connected into a single structure using stiffening ribs, then a wide flange is formed. The disadvantage is that you cannot place the bike close to a wall if you remove the front wheel and turn the handlebars 90 degrees. Also, the design of the shelf clearly indicates its separate inferiority without a bicycle. She seems to be waiting for the bike to take its place on the outstretched hooks.
Hooks for vertical fastening of a bicycle are sometimes distinguished by a peculiar grace and asceticism. An example of how to hang your bike beautifully is the DaVinci split system. A hook is attached at the top to fix the front wheel, and at the bottom. a thrust bearing for the rear wheel, so as not to stain the wall.
The next option for placing bicycles is vertical racks, like handrails in public transport, but since they are most often attached to the floor and ceiling, and not to the wall, we will only mention them in passing in this review.
It remains to mention, perhaps, the most functionally advantageous opportunity to hang the bike on the wall. with the help of a shelf.
Above we mentioned such a possibility, but here we will talk about a completely ordinary shelf, in which the ability to hang a bike is a nice option, and the absence of a bike on the shelf does not interfere with its use in any way; moreover, the absence of a bicycle is completely invisible, and if the owner puts the bike on it in the presence of guests, this can cause fair amazement and admiration of the guests by the owner’s technical genius.
Examples of such shelves are shown below: The variant shown in fig. 1 is more ergonomic as it requires less effort when setting the bike up and out, as the frame can slide along the rails.
These designs are so primitive that they do not require attaching drawings in order to hang the bike on the wall using shelves. In the shelf shown in Figure 1, the only difficulty is sampling a curved figure at the ends, which is easy to do even without a machine and a router, just with a hand jigsaw.
In the shelf in fig. 2, you can get by with an ordinary hacksaw. Then holes for confirmation are drilled, countersinked, and the structure is assembled flush. To the rear wall at the ends, the places are drilled where the nail heads will enter. the dowels fixed in the wall, and secret loops are attached For the reliability of the connections, you can additionally coat the perimeter with PVA glue.
How to hang your bike on the wall: storage tips
Russia is a snowy country. than half of the year there is snow in the Asian part of the country. There are fans of winter walks on rubber with spikes, but they are an absolute minority. The rest have to think about where and how to organize bicycle storage in the winter season. It can be an insulated loggia or a major garage, but significant difficulties arise in a city apartment with a bike. Even disassembling it does not solve the problem, since the biggest part is the frame. Perhaps the best solution to the problem is to hang the bike on the wall yourself.
In the article, we will consider ways to store a bike in an apartment, explain why the wall mount is one of the best, we will talk about how to hang a bike, and how to make a shelf for this with your own hands.
Tips for securing hooks, shelves
As a rule, the hooks are fixed with dowels, the hooks themselves act as a screw. The main thing when buying is to find out the installation method, whether there are dowels in the kit. If not, then you need to purchase them of the appropriate size, that is, 1-1.5 mm narrower than the screw. It is also necessary to consider the material of the wall before drilling. For more reliable fastening of the supporting structures in the wall, drilling must be done by lifting the drill slightly up and deviating from the perpendicular by 5-10 degrees. Only then there will be no component of the force that turns out of the wall.
As a result, I would like to remind you of what for some reason is not mentioned in such articles, namely, about additional functions and opening opportunities in the case of choosing a shelf for hanging the bike horizontally to the wall.
The competent cyclist will immediately realize that together with the storage he gets an ideal place for washing. Since childhood, all of us have gone through a situation when a bicycle standing on its wheels falls during the process of washing, for which we put it on its bottom. Therefore, you immediately need to choose the height of the attachment so that you can put a stool and, without haste, wash the iron horse when it is securely fixed.
In the event that the bike is mounted vertically, washing is difficult due to the natural flow of liquid down, and the need to start it at the ceiling. In the case of horizontal mounting, the upper, least dirty parts are washed first, and then the lower ones, which is very convenient.
The second, in our opinion, more important circumstance: the suspended wheels with the correct position of the bike (as when riding) provide an invaluable opportunity to adjust the brakes and gear shifters.
Outdoor bike storage. Bicycle maintenance
You can’t just hide the bike in a far corner without preparing it for wintering. Proper preparation is the key to the absence of unpleasant surprises at the beginning of the cycling season.
Dismantling of electrical appliances. You need to remove the lights, navigator, bike computer and other gadgets before washing the bike. They must be stored in a residential area free of temperature and humidity fluctuations. Remove the batteries beforehand.
Washing. Use a convenient brush to remove dust from wheel bushings, levers and derailleurs. Then the solvent erases traces of grease on the bike parts.
Reference! To make the process quick and easy, it is better to spray the product with a spray bottle.
Then wash the bike thoroughly with water. Areas under the frame require special attention. Even a small lump of dirt can provoke rust.
Do not immerse the unit completely in water. It is necessary to water it with a thin stream so that the water drains quickly.
The private area is the ideal place to wash your bike.
It is more difficult to carry out the procedure in an apartment, you need not only to wash all the details, but also not to stain the bathroom or loggia. In this case, the iron horse is easier to disassemble.
- Remove wheels and tires.
- Dismantle the chain, switches and brakes.
- The frames should be washed with a soft cloth, for the chain use a brush or a special device (chain wash), the stars are well washed with a sponge with a cleaning agent or solvent, the wheels can be washed under running water without filling the bath.
It is convenient and quick to wash the bike at the sink. But there is a risk of water getting into the carriage and inside the rear bushings, and a strong jet from the Karcher can damage the paint. This option is relevant for heavy dirt that hinders further movement.
Drying. The bike will dry faster outside in good weather. In an apartment, it can be dried on a loggia or balcony, without direct sunlight. It is much easier to dry it when disassembled, you can simply lay out the parts on an unnecessary sheet or a large clean rag.
Important! Turn the parts systematically so that the water drains out completely. Wipe off any remaining moisture under the frame by hand. Otherwise, corrosion will appear or water will die out, and frames made of carbon fiber may completely deteriorate.
Lubrication. After all the parts are dry, you need to cover them with a new layer of lubricants. Grease will not fall on underdried areas.
- chain (in winter, the layer is applied more than usual);
- wheel hubs;
- steering block;
- high-speed shifting cables;
- chain tensioners.
The damaged areas of the paint are treated with silicone grease. If the bike will be stored in a cold room, the steel frames need to be coated with a little oil.
Disc brake rotors do not need lubrication.
Lubricate tires with glycerin if the storage area is not heated.
Before storage, reduce the pressure in the wheels, loosen the chain and all fasteners.
Washing, drying and lubricating
Keep your bike clean, so wash it thoroughly after the season is over. This is important not only from an aesthetic point of view, but also from a practical one. You have probably used your bike in an urban environment where dirt and dust contain particles of corrosive substances. Wash your bike thoroughly and wipe it dry, you can let it dry naturally.
Particular attention should be paid to the chain: old grease must be removed from it and a new one must be applied. You should also lubricate the main components of the bike, which include derailleur rollers, brake pivots, and speed derailleurs. Special agents are used for lubrication.
Spray the tires on wheels with a silicone-based spray. This will prevent them from drying out and cracking. Apply a small amount of machine oil to the frame covered with paint to create a thin protective layer on it.
How to store your bike on the balcony
A bicycle is a universal off-road vehicle. It significantly reduces the distance in the big city, since short paths through the private sector, parks, are available for this two-wheeled human friend. The cyclist can move quickly along narrow paths and even stairs, since a modern bicycle is very light.
On the other hand, the limited space of today’s urban apartments has very modest storage capacity for a large number of things. bicycles inside a living space are associated with a number of inconveniences. A balcony is a good solution, as most modern apartment buildings in the city have one.
There are several ways to store your bike on the balcony:
- A special container is used for long-term preservation. At the same time, the vehicle itself is disassembled as much as possible, and after that it is neatly placed in a waterproof case of a rigid structure. This method can significantly save space.
- For a shorter winter storage period, the original packaging or cover is suitable. In this case, a partial disassembly is also necessary. The front wheel, saddle, pedals, steering wheel, lights are removed. The fastening bolts are screwed into the fastening points halfway. The remaining protruding parts are carefully wrapped in bubble wrap or dense cloth to protect against damage from an aggressive environment.
Storing the bike upright. Where to store the bike in the apartment
A glazed balcony or loggia is often used for these purposes. Some even hang it on hooks behind the balcony, but this can only be done with an unloved pedal horse, and not with an expensive iron friend, because high humidity, temperature drops are contraindicated for him. Therefore, we continue to look for a suitable place for a bike, and move to the hallway.
This is probably one of the best places to store your bike in your apartment. After returning home from a bike ride, there is no need to carry it across the apartment to the balcony, but you can attach it right here using wall hooks or other devices, which we will talk about below. In addition, this is a very good option from the point of view of hygiene, because you must admit that in this case, dirt and dust do not spread throughout the apartment, but accumulate in the hallway, which, as a rule, is easy to keep clean.
If we talk about the hallway, then the bike can be hung behind the front door horizontally or vertically. often an unused niche is formed behind the door in apartments, which can be used as a place to store a bike.
If the size of the hallway allows, then you can build an open two-section wardrobe with shelves, which will fit not only the bike itself, but also the appropriate clothing and bike protection (helmets, glasses, gloves, knee pads, elbow pads).
In winter, you can store your bike in a disassembled apartment. Disassemble and fold it somewhere, for example, in a wardrobe. so it takes up very little space. If you are the happy owner of an apartment with a storage room, then in this nook you can easily equip a place to store a bike, you can not only hang it vertically or horizontally on the wall, but also fix it under the ceiling.
What other options are there for storing my bike? It turns out that the bathroom can be used not only for its intended purpose, but also as a parking lot for bicycles. In addition, the pedal friend is hung up in the bedroom and even in the living room. Probably, the issue of aesthetics is not considered here, the main thing is to successfully attach your pet.
How to hang a bike on the balcony. How to hang a bike on the balcony
Features and ways to store a bike on the balcony
Nowadays, when sports and a healthy lifestyle are in vogue, more and more people are thinking about purchasing a bicycle. However, if we are talking about a city apartment, there may be inconveniences with its storage. One of the best places for this is the balcony.
If a decision has been made to store the bike on the balcony, care must be taken to ensure that basic space requirements are met. There are not too many of them. The unit must be freely accessible. The room temperature should not be lower than 5 degrees. In addition, you need to ensure that direct sunlight cannot get on the bike, otherwise the coating, plastic and rubber elements will quickly become unusable.
If the temperature on the balcony is too low, the structure will quickly break. In addition, it is impossible to allow the location of heating devices in the immediate vicinity, as they can also do harm. The room should be glazed, and the possibility of leaks during precipitation should be excluded, because moisture causes corrosion, and accordingly, the service life will be significantly reduced. Do not store the product on an open balcony.
It should be noted that storage of vehicles on the balcony has many advantages. The owner can be sure that his property will not be stolen by intruders. The storage time is absolutely unlimited. In addition, operation becomes very convenient, and if necessary, simple repairs can be made on site.
However, there are also disadvantages. Among them, a decrease in free space on the balcony, inconvenience in cleaning due to the location of the bike. You will also need to organize storage space, for example, it should be hidden from direct sunlight.
Allows you to fix the bike in different positions. horizontally, at an angle, vertically, as possible in a particular room.
If there is a closed courtyard or free space in some room (free storage room, large loggia, unoccupied vestibule), where there is no need to save space, you can build a wooden stand or a rack made of plastic pipes and adapters for several two-wheeled vehicles. In small sizes, as an option, you can fix a large one even on the ceiling in a horizontal position, if the ceiling is high. So it will not in any way reduce the living space. Particular attention should be paid to the safety of such an attachment. The suspension must be strong and reliable.
If financial opportunities permit, in a large city it is possible to hand over transport for the winter to a specialized parking lot, where it will be stored in a warm box until spring. Unfortunately, there are few such parking lots with bike boxes in Russia. Some bicycle repair shops, which are fully loaded in summer, offer seasonal bicycle storage services in winter, as there is a lot of free space in the premises in winter.
There are those who, for a reasonable fee, will take the bike themselves, offer to carry out an inspection, repair, lubricate and store until spring, and in the spring they will deliver it to the client’s home.
Preparing the bike
If you carefully follow the simple preparation, you can safely send the unit for the winter. The bike will last well until spring, even in imperfect, but acceptable conditions, if the owner has no other storage option. Preparation is carried out in stages.
- Washing. First, you need to clean the wheel hubs, speed switches, brake levers from dust and dirt with a brush, wipe off the old grease from the mechanical parts with a soft cloth, wash the car thoroughly, wipe it dry and put it to dry. Then wash the chain with a tensioner and sprockets with any solvent.
For convenience and in order to save money, it is better to spray the solvent from the spray bottle and then wipe the surfaces, and not pour the cleaning cloth with the solvent.
- Inspection. A detailed inspection of the vehicle will reveal minor faults and worn parts. You need to troubleshoot immediately, and not postpone until spring. During the winter, you can forget something, and the malfunction will remain, and the cost of repairs in the spring is always more expensive than in the fall.
- Lubrication. It is necessary to lubricate the washed components and parts, the chain, the cables of the switches and brakes. It’s a good idea to change the grease in the wheel hubs, steering column, pedals. At other times, you still have to do it. so why not do it before storing it? If storage is planned in a room without heating, it is important to coat chrome-plated surfaces and, if possible, the frame with silicone grease to protect against corrosion and paint cracking.
If the model is expensive, then the tires must be additionally lubricated with glycerin to protect them from cracking in the cold.
- Reducing the pressure in the chambers. It is enough to remove the pressure to 1.0-1.5 atm and maintain it during storage, pump up the wheels when decreasing.
- Dismantle the navigator, bike computer (if any), removable lights from the bike. Remove batteries from the remaining fixed lamps so that in winter they do not spread destructive electrolyte.
- Loosen the clamps for fastening the seat and stem of the steering wheel, reduce the tension of the brake spring cables, place the lubricated chain on the smallest sprockets.
The well-known saying about sleds can be paraphrased in relation to a bicycle as follows: If you like to ride, love to bring your bike into the apartment. It is in the apartment, since no other way of storing the iron horse in the conditions of our realities will ensure 100 percent safety. It’s good when there is a spacious home, where you can easily allocate a comfortable place for a bike. But many families have more than one bicycle, but many small apartments without any storage room.
There are general rules that should be followed whenever possible.
- The determining factors are air humidity and temperature. Damp rooms are the most favorable environment for metal rusting; this point must be taken into account when choosing a storage location. Significant temperature changes also affect the iron horse not in the best way. Condensation forms on the parts, microcracks appear on the protective coatings, the corrosion process begins, rubber and plastic deteriorate.
- Avoid the appearance of rust. It is extremely difficult to get rid of it, this will drastically reduce the service life of a two-wheeled vehicle.
- The storage area should not be exposed to direct sunlight. Under their influence, rubber and plastic parts are destroyed, varnishes and paints of protective coatings fade.
- The storage location should not be near heaters, as this will harm the wheel tires and the fork oil seals.
In order for a two-wheeled friend to successfully winter and be ready to please the owner with an easy ride in the next season without any problems, it is necessary to properly prepare your favorite transport for winter storage every year with the onset of cold weather, and not just remove it from sight.
Bicycle storage subtleties
A healthy lifestyle around the world is attracting more and more fans. It has become fashionable to be healthy in many circles of the population, and it is considered bad form to talk about one’s illnesses. Cycling is becoming more and more popular these days. A bicycle can be mastered by almost everyone, both young and old. But in winter, few fans dare to go cycling. Most people use their bike only during the snowless season. Seasonal storage of this lightweight, comfortable vehicle is becoming an important task.
For lucky bicycles, the owners find a place in the apartment. This is the best option possible with optimal conditions. The only problem is how to arrange the bike as compact as possible so that it does not interfere. You can just put your bike against a free wall in the hallway if space allows, but this option is only suitable for a small family without children. You can fix the transport on a special hanger on the wall.
The correct suspension is by the frame, not by the saddle, handlebar or wheels. If the apartment is very small, there is no balcony or garage, you can partially disassemble the bike, put it in a canvas cover and put it under the bed, on the mezzanine or in the sofa box for storing things. there it will not bother anyone.
Owners of expensive models and professional athletes purchase special storage cabinets.
In addition to the apartment, the most common and suitable storage places are a glazed balcony, a loggia and a garage. These are good options for storing your bike there for the winter. Direct rays fall on the balcony or loggia on sunny days, so the bike prepared for storage must be covered (a dark film, cloth, tarpaulin, thick paper will do). It is unacceptable for water to drip from the hung laundry onto the machine. this is a direct path to corrosion.
Where to store it is not worth it?
It is strongly not recommended to store bicycles in the entrance. According to statistics, this is the most common place for theft, so it is not worth the risk. Keeping in the common corridor and on the staircase is also not an option, since this inevitably reduces the total free space, often causes discontent among neighbors, and when inspected by the State Fire Inspection, it may even entail a fine, since it complicates the unhindered exit.
It is also impossible to hang it behind the side of an open balcony or on the outer wall of a building; this is tantamount to throwing the transport out into the street. With this storage, the bike will be in poor condition by the spring. The bike should not be placed in the basement where vegetables are stored. Constant vapors and humidity will not save even a carefully prepared car from corrosion in such conditions.
For information on how to prepare your bike for winter storage, see the next video.
Bicycle storage on the balcony and loggia
With the onset of cold weather and the end of the cycling season, the issue of bicycle storage becomes especially acute. Inside the apartment there may not be a place for it, and very few people want to spoil the interior with an iron structure. In this regard, balconies and loggias are the best storage places, the main thing is to correctly position the bike and comply with a number of requirements.
A bicycle, like any other equipment, needs proper storage. Therefore, its placement on the balcony requires the creation of favorable conditions.
- A glazed, albeit unheated, balcony is well suited to accommodate a vehicle. The lack of glazing creates outdoor conditions, and you cannot leave the bike outdoors for the winter.
- It is necessary to ensure that precipitation and melt water from the roof do not fall on the metal parts of the structure.
- On a cold loggia, the bike must be reliably protected from direct exposure to ultraviolet radiation. Constant exposure to sunlight destroys rubber and plastic elements and spoils paint. To do this, the technique is placed in a dark corner, covered with a waterproof cloth or thick paper.
- The optimal conditions for storing equipment are an air temperature of at least 5 degrees and a humidity of no more than 60%. Low temperatures negatively affect rubber and plastic, while high humidity leads to rust. At too high temperatures, for example, when placing a bicycle near heating radiators, rubber parts begin to dry out and quickly become unusable.
- Choose your bike neighbors carefully, considering their ability to accumulate or release moisture. Transport is not recommended to be placed next to a clothes dryer and vegetables, especially potatoes and cabbage.
Among the advantages of storing your bike on the balcony are the following:
- guaranteed protection against theft;
- unlimited storage period;
- the ability to use at any time;
- availability of space for minor repairs and maintenance of the vehicle.
The disadvantages include a decrease in the usable area of the balcony, the need to protect equipment from the sun and moisture, compliance with the temperature regime, and inconvenience when cleaning the loggia.
In addition, special bicycle shoe covers are required to prevent contamination of walls and furniture with dirty wheels, which leads to additional costs.
How to prepare?
Before placing the transport on the balcony, it must be carefully prepared. At the end of the cycling season, it is recommended to carry out a full maintenance of all components and mechanisms, and perform a number of measures.
- The bike is thoroughly washed, wiped with a dry clean cloth and dried. For additional protection of the paintwork, it is rubbed with polish.
- Particular attention is paid to the presence of scratches and chips on the paint, and if damage is found, they are abundantly lubricated with anti-corrosion grease. If this is not done, problem areas can become rusty. It is also recommended to lubricate all chrome elements of the bike.
- The chain is set to the smallest sprockets, thereby weakening the transmission cables. Spring assemblies such as brake levers, pads and caliper must also be loosened.
- The chain is generously lubricated with silicone grease, passed with an oiler over bearings, rear derailleur rollers, cables, front fork damping system, front and rear derailleurs and along the main carriage.
- In temperate climates, the inflated wheels are slightly lowered and lubricated with glycerin, and in frosty winters and an unheated balcony, the tires are removed and stored in a warm room. Otherwise, the rubber may crack and become unusable.
- The navigator and the bike computer must be unscrewed and the batteries removed.
- If there is a steel frame on the bike, it is coated with an anti-corrosion compound. This need is due to the ability of steel to become covered with condensate during sharp temperature fluctuations, which accumulates inside the frame and causes its corrosion.
- If the equipment will be stored on a cold balcony, it is wrapped in a synthetic film and placed inside silica gel bags. It absorbs excess moisture and prevents the metal from rusting.
- If the seatpost, handlebars and stem are made of carbon, it is recommended to loosen the mountings on them.
This option, how to hang a bike from the ceiling on the balcony, is 100% relevant only for long-term storage of equipment. It is too expensive to take off the bike from there every day and return it back. Ceiling storage systems are perfectly combined with floor storage systems. They have two construction types:
In the first case, the bicycle is raised and lowered without the aid of a stepladder. In the second, in order to hang the bike on hooks, you will have to stand on a stool or ladder. Ceiling storage is useful on the balcony for a bike weighing no more than 22 kg.
Storage in a container
The method is radical in everything. In order to fold the bike into a waterproof, compact, rigid container, it will need to be completely disassembled. The idea cannot be realized without a set of tools. It is impossible to manually remove the fork, chain, disassemble the bushings. But then it will be possible to decide how to organize storage of the bike on the balcony: hang it on the wall or hide it in a niche or closet. A bike folded into a container will fit even under the bed, so if there is very little space on the loggia, feel free to take it to the apartment.
Taking into account the laboriousness of the process of assembling / disassembling the vehicle, they resort to preserving it in the case only if they do not intend to use it for a long time.
Floor, wall and ceiling structures will help to organize comfortable bicycle storage on the balcony.
for compact balconies it is recommended to store the bike unassembled
Just leaning against the wall is not an option. Do not forget that the loggia is a functional space that households regularly use. If the bike with enviable consistency falls to their feet at the lightest touch, this will not cause delight. To fix the vehicle, you will need special fasteners. Floor, wall and ceiling structures will help to organize comfortable bicycle storage on the balcony.
Bicycle storage on the balcony
bike storage option on the balcony
A bicycle is a unique transport that is deservedly popular with millions of people. For city dwellers, this is both a convenient way of transportation and an opportunity to fight physical inactivity. Cycling is a great substitute for expensive fitness and grueling workouts in gyms. There is a network of bike paths that sprawls across the city to make riding safe and enjoyable. There is only one question left: what to do with the bike when you are not using it? It is unlikely that anyone will buy a garage for the sake of this. But what if we organize storage of the bike on the balcony? The idea is not as bad as it might initially seem. Let’s try to figure out how to successfully implement it.
Some helpful tips
special shelf for storing a bike
Our winters are harsh enough to make life on a bike in the loggia unbearable. Potatoes, cabbage, carrots, wet laundry will also not improve the indoor climate. However, if there is nowhere to put the equipment, then the balcony cannot be avoided by anyone. Is it possible to make wintering more comfortable? Quite!
- Rub the bike with Polish. This will provide additional protection and make the bike look even more beautiful.
- Run oiled rags over mechanical parts and be sure to lubricate the chain.
- Loosen the transmission cables.
- In order not to deform the wheels, the bike can be placed upside down or find a place for it on the wall. The internet is full of interesting ideas on how to hang your bike on your balcony. Provided that the winter frosts are extremely strong, it is better to remove the tires from the rims. It will not be difficult for them to find a shelf in the pantry or on the mezzanine.
- Plain paper will save you from destructive ultraviolet radiation. You can hide the bike behind a curtain made of thick fabric or roller blinds.
- Steel frames tend to build up condensation in their voids and rust. Surface treatment with an anti-corrosion agent will help to avoid the consequences.
storage option for children’s bicycles on the balcony
In the summer, the storage of a bike on the balcony is carried out according to the same principles. If the vehicle is used often, then of all the above procedures, only protection from direct sunlight remains. You can cover the bike with a piece of cloth or shade the space of the loggia with blinds.
Storage in a case
for wintering the bike can be folded into a cover
To put the bike in a cover, the front wheel and all protruding elements are removed from it. Bolts that fix: saddle, handlebars, pedals and other parts. it is recommended to put it in a separate bag or wrap it back, but not all the way.
How to store a bike on the balcony so as not to damage other protruding parts that cannot be disassembled? Experts advise to protect the ends of the fork with thick cardboard. You can wrap the connecting rods and other elements with bubble wrap. It is advisable to do this in several layers.
If storing a bike on the balcony is for some reason impossible, try to find a place for it in the house.
Disassembled and stowed in a cover, it can easily fit into the closet.
storage of a bike in a closed loggia
If there is a large corridor or hallway, the bike can be allocated a place on the wall or a personal rack with shelves and drawers can be made for it, where accessories and tools necessary for maintenance will be stored at the same time.
You will not believe. But the bike can even fit into the design of the living room. To do this, the room must be decorated in an industrial style or a loft.
For those who are afraid to stain the walls, there are also suggestions. Pack your bike in colorful printed covers. This will kill two birds with one stone: keep clean and revive the atmosphere.