To maintain the good condition of the mechanisms of the bicycle, it is required to periodically service it. For the rear wheel, this is done as follows:
- the body is tightened;
- defective bearings are replaced;
- mechanisms are lubricated;
- brake pads are adjustable.
Despite its unpretentiousness, the rear wheel, with prolonged use without proper maintenance, will become unusable, which will require its repair. In addition, the rear wheel must be constantly adjusted to make the ride comfortable.
According to compatibility with different types of brake systems, there are several distinct types of rear hubs:
- for disc brakes;
- for roller brakes;
- for rim brakes.
Of course, the more complex rear hub of a bicycle, designed to be connected to a disc brake system, can easily be used when assembling a wheel with rim brakes, but not vice versa.
Having studied the internal and external structure of the rear hub of the bicycle, it is recommended to pay attention to the wide range of standard sizes of this system. The presence of some differences in parameters is due to the use of hubs on various types of bicycles:
- track models. 10×120 mm;
- road bikes. 10×130 mm;
- the bulk of common mountain models. 10×135 mm;
- downhill bicycles. 12 × 135 mm;
- professional models of the cross-country class. 12 × 142 mm;
- models of bicycles for freestyle, extreme sports. 12×150 mm;
- BMX bicycles. 14 × 110 mm.
The lacing is the order in which the hub, rim and spokes are locked. It can be radial or cross. Radial provides for the installation of the hub without crossing the spokes with each other. Crossing the needles occurs.
These are specific annular protrusions that are contained on the rear hub body. This element is used to connect with the spokes of the wheel. Flanges contain special holes where spokes are inserted when dialing.
The main requirement for flanges is a high strength index. Based on the insignificant size of the part, it is enough to just imagine how much increased loads fall on its share. After all, a third of the structure of the bicycle, together with the cyclist, is located precisely above the area where the rear flanges are located.
Before disassembling the rear wheel of a bicycle, installing it on a special stand, or any other component of the vehicle, it is necessary to study its structure.
The device of the rear wheel hub of a bicycle is quite simple: it is attached to the rim with spokes (from 12 to 48 pieces).
Wheel size is determined by the outer diameter, which ranges from 14 to 29 inches. Mountain bike models are more often equipped with 26-inch wheels, while hybrid or touring models are equipped with 28-inch wheels.
The rear wheel of a speed bike is not spoked. Instead, a solid disc is used for increased rigidity. This design is less resistant to oncoming air flow, but has increased windage, which makes it difficult to ride in a crosswind.
The life of a wheel depends on the design of the rim, and its strength affects the speed and safety of the ride. Modern bicycles are most often equipped with rims that resemble a box in cross-section. Thanks to this shape, the wheel is protected from damage when hitting a hard obstacle.
GMBN Tech Essentials Ep.1 | Wheel Axles
Steel or aluminum alloys are most often used as a material for the manufacture of rims. Steel rims are cheaper, but they are heavier and less resistant to corrosion. Carbon is considered the most modern material, but the price of such models is very high.
The rear hub of the bicycle must be equipped with bearings with a dust cover. Only in this case it will be possible to forget about their maintenance and replacement, having driven more than 10,000 km on the bike. Frankly low-quality bearings will make you endure unpleasant sounds and suffer from wheel play after the first ride in rainy weather, not to mention winter. Reliable dirt protection is represented by various seals that prevent contact of the lubricant with the external environment.
Currently, there are bulk and industrial bearings for rear bushings. The difference is that the play in the wheel can be eliminated by performing the usual adjustment of the bulk bearings. If there is a similar problem in the case of industrial bearings, most likely they will have to be replaced. Therefore, the rear wheel hub of the bicycle should be selected based on the type and reliability of the bearings.
The main parameter of the rear hub axle is its length. To select the hub according to the axle length, you just need to measure the distance between the opposite outer nuts on the corresponding mountings of the bicycle frame.
The rear hub of a bicycle includes the following structural elements:
Removing the sleeve
Repair and maintenance of the rear wheel hub begins with dismantling the cassette with driven sprockets. For this, you will need a special tool in the form of a whip and a puller. The cassette is always mounted on the wheel on the right-hand thread. This is what ensures its rigid connection with the element itself and allows it to be rotated clockwise. This means that you need to remove the cassette by spinning it in the opposite direction. After that, access to the axle and bearings is opened.
Any diagram indicates that the bushing designs for road, road and mountain bikes are different in structure. The very center of the rear wheel is equipped with three types of bearings:
The rear axle set electric motor 48v850w. Oil brake / only 130
- industrial bearings (usually with anthers);
- cone-cup bearings with balls on the cage;
- cone-cup bearings with loose balls.
When disassembling, it is necessary to clearly lay out all the removable elements of the bushing in such a way that the subsequent assembly of the wheel allows each part to take its original place.
Disassembly of the rear wheel hub starts from the left side. Sequencing:
- With one wrench, grip the cone on the right side, and with the second, the locknut on the left and unscrew it.
- Remove the washer between the locknut and the cone. The last element should be screwed off the axle without any effort.
- After removing the cone, carefully remove the cage or pour out the balls (depending on which type of bearing is installed in a particular model). Sometimes, in the case of balls, for this you need to shift the axis to the left.
- Place the balls in kerosene or other petroleum-based solvent.
- After that, remove the balls from the right side equally carefully. It is better not to screw the right cone and lock nut unnecessarily. This will allow you to maintain the position of the axle and in the future fix the wheel in the bike fork without unnecessary problems.
- Carefully inspect the working surface of the cleaned cones. The slightest irregularities indicate that they must be replaced.
- If there is damage to the surface of the cups, then the entire rear wheel hub must also be replaced. If everything is in good condition, then you can proceed to the assembly procedure.
When assembling the wheel, first of all, liberally lubricate the surface of the hub cups. A grease is fine for this. It is necessary to squeeze the balls into the layer of the agent on the right side of the bushing or install a cage with bearings and insert the axle. If it was necessary to move the axis to the right to remove the balls from the left side, then it must be inserted not all the way, but just enough so that it would allow the balls to be put in place.
After installing the balls or a cage, it is necessary to insert the axle to the end and screw the left cone onto it so that it rests against the balls. Then put the washer back in place and tighten the left lock nut with slight effort. It is necessary to unscrew the cone on both sides with force so as to ensure free rotation of the axis. If the rotation of the wheel is not light enough or there is a play, it is necessary to re-adjust the pressure of the cone on the left side of the axle.
If the wheel rotates freely and there is no play, then the maintenance or replacement of the bearing has been completed successfully.
How to assemble a stealth bomber ebike
If during the inspection of the surface of the cups damage was found, then the bushings must be replaced. This process is rather complicated. Read the instructions before removing the bushing. The fact is that to replace an element, you need to spacing the wheel.
The lacing pattern must be sketched or photographed before disassembly.
It is necessary to unscrew all the spoke heads and remove them from the hub. The likelihood of making a mistake will be much less if, when removing the parts, they immediately insert them into the corresponding socket of the new bushing. After all the spokes are in place, it is necessary, by pulling them up, to give the wheel the shape of an umbrella, and then align the rim. In the process of work, the vertical runout of the wheel is first eliminated. After they have disappeared or reduced to a minimum, horizontal beats are eliminated. In this case, it is necessary, by loosening the knitting needles on one side, to immediately tighten the knitting needles by the same number of revolutions on the other side.
Crackle or noise inside the hub
Noises, squeaks, and crunching signals indicate that your bushing should be serviced. And this should be done as soon as possible, otherwise everything may end very badly. First you need to disassemble the bushing, change the lubricant and check the parts for defects. Defective components must be replaced. If after all this the problem remains, then you should consult a specialist. It is possible that it arose due to the poor quality of the bushing itself, and you will have to install a new one.
The rear hub of a bicycle is a very important and often underestimated element of a bicycle, and its axle is subjected to increased stress. Sand, dirt, microscopic debris and dust are abrasive and destroy metal. Failures of the mechanical part of the rear wheel require expensive repairs or even replacement of the entire unit, so timely and correct maintenance of the hub will significantly extend the life of your bike and help avoid unnecessary expenses.
How to properly disassemble, clean and lubricate the rear hub
Immediately remember one truth: any service is recommended to be carried out with a snagged sleeve. Otherwise, the chances of assembling the wheel correctly and quickly are unlikely to work. this can only be done by a person who is already experienced in servicing bicycles.
Step-by-step instructions for maintaining the rear bicycle hub:
- Remove the cassette from the axle using a whip and a puller.
- Opening the retaining ring.
- We remove all bearings and washers. Note:the sleeve can be on industrial bearings and bulk bearings, but in any case, it is very important to remember their original location in the sleeve. This rule must be observed when removing the washers.
- We carry out a careful inspection of the bearings. if they are damaged, this means the need to replace them with new parts.
- We take out the axle. it does not understand.
- We clean the body of the rear hub of the bicycle from dirt. All internal cavities must be wiped with a dry cloth.
- When installing back, each part is thoroughly lubricated, special attention should be paid to the bearings during this process.
- The last step is to install the stopper and tighten the fastening nut. It is not necessary to apply great efforts to tighten, as this can result in a problem of free wheel rotation.
Of course, everything looks quite easy and simple, but there are a lot of nuances in servicing the rear hub of a bicycle. they must be known and taken into account in the process of work:
- First, the direct disassembly of the bushing should be started only after the cassette has been removed. over, the sleeve is disassembled from the opposite side and, as a rule, it is on the left. The locknut, if any, is unscrewed with a 15 mm wrench, then the stopper is removed (again, if any).
- Secondly, you need to be extremely careful when removing the washers and rings. they will need to be laid out on a pre-prepared sheet of paper in the exact order, if this moment is overlooked, the assembly of the rear bicycle hub after cleaning and lubricating it can turn into a real torment.
- Thirdly, after twisting the housing of the rear hub, its axis will begin to give in. just at this moment the bearings will appear. And again, you need to be extremely careful when removing the bearings. the parts are small and easy to lose. We remove each bearing with a knitting needle or tweezers, carefully wipe it with a cloth soaked in kerosene or gasoline, and put it aside. Just in the process of wiping, the bearings must be carefully inspected for damage, and if there are any, then the part must be replaced.
Note: in the articles and instructions for servicing the rear hub of a bicycle, you can find a recommendation to use acetone to wipe bearings. this is permissible, but it should be borne in mind that the aroma from such a product will not be the most pleasant, and acetone can corrode the skin on the fingers. And one more thing. many kulibins, in order not to lose small bearings, use a magnet. in no case should this be done! The fact is that the bearing is magnetized and during the operation of the bicycle, iron dust is attracted to these small parts. the fact that the hub will soon become unusable can be predicted with confidence.
It is highly undesirable to confuse the left and right parts when disassembling / assembling the rear hub of a bicycle. this can lead to wheel play. If at least one ball is lost, then you will have to carry out a full replacement of the bearings. Sometimes, when opening the bushing, iron dust can be observed near the axle. this means that the bearings are completely worn out, they must be completely replaced.
What roads is Stels Adrenalin intended for?
Due to its weak amortization, this bike is intended only for urban roads at an average distance (up to 50 km per day). The front fork wears out quickly, but replacing it with a more powerful one can significantly extend its life. Stels Adrenalin has reinforced front and rear rims. Therefore, for a while, you can not worry about their curvature.
In order to repair a Stealth bike with your own hands, you will need a little knowledge and all the necessary tools.
Typically, the hub body is the wheel hub. It has flanges on which the spokes are attached, and due to the presence of a set of sprockets on the rear wheel, the spokes have a slightly shorter length on one side. In bushings with loose bearings, the inner surface has tracks along which the balls move.
How to disassemble and reassemble the rear wheel of a speed bike
The rear wheel of a bicycle requires maintenance more often than other components. This is due to the fact that it is the most loaded element. it is it that accounts for the bulk of the user’s weight. Those who like to ride such a vehicle often and for a long time should learn how to disassemble and assemble the rear wheel of a high-speed bike correctly. Of course, you can go to the workshop, but if you have the necessary tools, any person can do all the work on disassembly, repair and maintenance on his own, while receiving moral satisfaction and not burdening the family budget.
DIY Stealth bike repair: subtleties and tips
Modern bicycles (high-speed, full-suspension, mountain, hybrid, road, etc.) have a beautiful and graceful look. They consist of complex mechanisms (disc brakes, bottom bracket, shock absorber, cassette, etc.) that significantly increase ride comfort, but require constant maintenance. In order to repair any part, you need to know what it consists of and how it works.
From this article you will learn about the complex repair of a Stealth bike with your own hands, after which you will be able to service it yourself. We will also discuss several complex mechanisms (bicycle cassette, carriage), how exactly they need to be repaired and what tools will be needed for this.
Broken or bent axis
Another common problem is axle curvature or violation of its integrity, caused by low-quality materials used in their manufacture, or by the design features of the bushing itself. Such breakdowns are mainly characteristic of ratchet bushings, since their support bearings are too far from the axle attachment point in the dropouts of the frame feathers. The result is too large a lever, and when the load increases, the axle becomes unusable.