Replacing the cable
Before changing the shifting cable on your bike, make sure you have the necessary tools at hand: wire cutters and a set of hex keys. It will also be useful to fix in memory the position (running) of the cable before replacing.
After replacing it, be sure to adjust the switch.
Meshed cable end to rear derailleur
- Set the rear derailleur to the position strictly opposite the smallest bicycle sprocket. Cut off the end of the rope, loosen the screw.
- We open access to the protection cover with a 5 mm key. loosen the shifting lever and remove it.
- Remove the cover by turning it counterclockwise. We see the tip of the cable.
- Pull the cable out completely, helping the process through the tension regulator channel.
- Retract the spring, release the end of the cable.
- Installing a new cable. We stretch it and install it exactly as the old cable was. The direction of the cable can be corrected with an awl or a thin screwdriver. We check that the cable is in the same position as the old one.
- We return the shifting lever cover, fix it by turning the latch clockwise.
- We stretch the cable into a braid. until its tip is in the rear derailleur.
- Check that the rear derailleur is opposite the little bike star. We attach the cable and fix it to the screw.
- We leave 3 cm of the cable, cut off the excess with nippers or scissors, squeeze the tip.
Before using the bike, thoroughly test the functionality of the shifter and derailleur in order to ensure that the mechanism is working properly.
Now you know how to change the shift cable on your bike. The main thing is to do it in a timely manner and do not forget about the current maintenance of this mechanism.
How to check and replace the shift cable
One of the main features of cyclists in the CIS is that a good half of the riding season does not end at all. At any time of the day and at any time of the year, cheerful cyclists roam through the cities and forests. In this article we will show you how to keep track of the standing of your shirts and cables and how to disassemble the derailleur.
a cable for a bicycle. brake and for gear shifting, how to replace it, how to lubricate?
The cable is the connecting element between the brake lever and the brake mechanism, and also, if it is a gear shift cable, then between the coin and the gear selector. It is made of a weave of thin stainless steel threads, which help it to achieve strength and reliability without losing flexibility.
The difference between the cable for shifting high-speed gears and for brakes is only in the tip at the end of the cable, which can have a different diameter (there are seating and inner diameters).
The bicycle cable is protected by a casing (jacket or braid), which partially covers its surface and helps the cable smoothly change its trajectory. It flexes as it travels from the frame to the brakes or derailleur, so the casing (braid) must have good frictional resistance. The color of the braid can be any: black, white or colored.
- The “old” type of braid is a wire, twisted in a spiral and covered with plastic on top. This type of shirt has the following disadvantage: the inner walls of steel and a steel cable generate friction, as a result, interaction with the brake lever becomes heavy, and the accuracy during gear changes is low;
- “New” type. the inner cavity of the casing is covered with plastic, so the wire without heating and wear clearly transmits the jerk for the brakes and for gear shifting;
- A new type of shirt from Shimano. it does not have a spiral tube made of steel, and the surface of the shirt is made of steel rods that are parallel to the axis of the casing, and the surface of the surfaces is made of plastic. The clarity of this type of transmission is higher than the previous types. Also released is a new braid with silicone grease, which can reduce friction.
And so that the ends of the shirt (casing, braid) are not shaggy, special tips are put on them.
When installing the cable, it is important to note that it is advisable to cut off excess parts only with a grinder. If you do not have this tool, then you can use nippers, but they must be very sharp. If the ends of the cable are damaged, they should be carefully squeezed into the tip, which must be pressed with pliers.
It is important to lubricate the cables and cable guards once a season for the effective performance of the cables. This can be done both with liquid oils, aerosols, and the same silicone grease. It is just the same to do this with a lubricant, because it is intended for this.
Despite their small footprint in the volume of the bike, the cables are an important and significant component that ensures the safety and comfort of cycling.
Gear shift cable. How to change the gear shift cable on a bicycle
Purpose of cables and braids
The bike‘s gearshift cable is the connecting thread between the derailleur and the derailleur. It is a very strong metal straight thread. The task of this cable is to take all the efforts and transfer them to the mechanism, thanks to which the gear selector comes into action. Depending on which gear is selected. by pressing the lever, the cable tension becomes stronger or weaker. With optimum cable tension, the switch is operational.
With the help of the braiding of the cables (jacket), the force is transmitted to the mechanism in the rear feather. The braid also protects the cable from mechanical damage. It is a twisted metal wire, usually coated with polymer on top. At the ends there are tips, from which a section of the cable appears for adjustments.
A cable is a set of thin strands of steel that are intertwined and formed together into a reliable, damage-resistant, metal fiber. Over time, the threads can wear out and the strength of some of them decreases, thus, damaged areas appear with breaks, kinks and individual wires coming out. Therefore, the fiber is coated with a layer of polymer or stainless steel, this improves wear resistance and significantly extends the life of the rope.
In addition to mechanical influences, external factors. moisture, dirt, dust. also affect the wear of the cable. In order to protect the metal from external influences, lubricants are used, such as Teflon. one of the most durable and durable.
There are three types of braids on the market: twisted type, SIS type and improved SIS-SP type.
The twisted type of shirt is a metal wire spring covered with plastic on the top side. Inside, the metal springs are treated with grease so that the cable will rub less against the jacket. Cables with such a shirt are the most budgetary ones and are practically not produced today.
Replace Shift Cable In Shimano EF-51 Trigger Shifters
A SIS shirt is similar in type to a twisted one, but the material from which the spring is twisted is more durable. sheets of metal. A more resistant and cleaner material is also used inside. Teflon. This is the most common type of braiding today.
SIS-SP braid. parallel braided. The threads are restrained by a polymer interlayer. The length of this braid, unlike the previous ones, does not change, while the tension of the cable is regulated. This ensures more accurate shifting performance. Silicone treated inside.
Cable and casing, types, functions
Welcome to the pages of our blog! Today, with a bunch of modern models of brakes and shifters on the shelves, no one pays attention to the importance of such components as the cable and shroud. But in vain! It is about the choice of brake cables, cables for gear shifting and shrouds (cable jackets) that will be discussed.
And the plan of our article will be something like this:
Cable shirts, cable casing, cable sheath. types and applications.
Proper care of the cable jacket and the cable itself.
The purpose of this article is to warn young riders against rash purchases. Indeed, very often, in situations of incorrect operation of gear switches or brakes, the mechanisms themselves are blamed, but not in any way connecting them.
Maintenance of shirts and cables
In this section, we will explain how to properly install and operate cables and guards. Let’s start with the cables.
There are fixed-length cables on the market, and when installing the cables on the bike, it is worth cutting off the excess cable. How to do it correctly? Never cut the wire with wire cutters. In an emergency, it is worth cutting only with very sharp pliers, while biting the cable several times. This way, the tips will be minimally split and stick to the heap. But, the best way to cut the cable is to cut it with a grinder. Everything is fast, clear and of high quality. In case of damage to the ends of the cable, you can go in two ways: either solder the ends with a drop of tin, or carefully stick the ends of the cable into the glass and fix the glass with pliers.
Here, it is easy to shorten the cables, but what to do with the spiral structure of the casing? The Bulgarian comes to the rescue! They cut off, smoothed the edges to perfectly round ones, put on a protective cup and that’s it. The only thing to do is determine the correct length of the casing. We advise you not to bother with thoughts, and leave the length the same as that of the factory casings. After all, the factory calculated the required radius of curvature of the cable, you just have to repeat it, and only.
During the installation of cables and covers, it is worth lubricating the cable with a lubricant similar to silicone. This will keep the cable running smoothly, but that’s not the point. The main point is to prevent corrosion of the cable in the casing.
When you cut the cable, it is worth leaving two centimeters behind the fixing bolt. This will provide convenient adjustment later.
After replacing the cable, it is worth repeating the tension of the cable after several tens of kilometers. This is normal as the cable stretches. This is exactly what the additional tension bolts on the shifters, brake levers, and also on some rear derailleurs are intended for.
The length of the casing should lay a smooth trajectory of the cable movement, without sharp bends and large radii. The length of the rope should be medium, not long, and not short. This is very important if you want crispness in gear shifting, or ease in adjusting the gap between the brake pads.
For effective operation of the cables, it is worth sorting out and lubricating all the covers and cables once a season. No more and no less.
And finally, if you are going on a hike, be sure to bring a set of brake cables, a set of cables for transmissions and some standard covers. The weight of these elements is insignificant, but the need for a hike is colossal!
P.S. If you nevertheless burst the gearshift cable in front (the chain remains on the first sprocket), or at the back (the chain is on the very last sprocket) and pedaling is uncomfortable. there is a way out! It is worth setting the desired gear with the adjusting bolts. Thus, you will somehow improve your pedaling conditions. You will end up with a semi-fixed gear bike
Happy bike rides to everyone and fewer breakdowns on your hikes! Until next time on velo-travel.com.
P.S. Watch this video, which clearly shows the process of replacing the cable.!
Let’s immediately highlight the most common errors and problems:
- Too heavy gear is a common mistake. Many newbies even say that 44 (or even 48) stars in the front are not enough for them. It’s a delusion. Constantly spinning a heavy gear you are simply killing your knees. Try to keep track of your cadence (cadence) until it becomes automatic. You can even count the number of revolutions per minute for the sake of interest. If it is around 90-100, then this is very good. And so, gear 44-11 is enough to accelerate on the plain to
60 km / h So try to convince those who say that 44 stars are not enough for the city. By doing this, you may help to keep people healthy.
1500 km). As a result, when the load on the pedals increases, the chain slips and the pedals fail unpleasantly. This must be taken into account and travel more carefully until everything gets used to it. Even for a fairly strong cassette, the rubbing period is about 200 kilometers.
If you are new to the saddle, pay a lot of attention to pedaling, shifting, try to work with both the front and rear derailleurs. Try to choose a gear depending on the maneuver being made. For example: you slow down, but for this you will need to accelerate. Shift the gear lighter even when braking, then it will accelerate faster.
The clarity of gear shifting is highly dependent on the technical condition of the bike components. Monitor and, if necessary, replace the cables and shirts in time, the rear derailleur rollers, the switches themselves, the drive elements. the chain, cassette, front sprockets.
Front derailleur setting
The front derailleur is even easier to adjust than the rear derailleur. It is important, however, that it is properly secured to the bike frame. When the chain is on the largest sprocket, the sprocket to derailleur frame should be 1 to 3 mm. And the frame should be parallel to the stars. If so, then you can start to customize.
Set the speed to minimum. the fastest in the back and the smallest in front. Loosen the cable tension and turn the screw marked L (Low (where it is located in the picture) until there is a millimeter gap between the chain and the derailleur frame. he lay in a special groove near the screw.
Now we set the maximum speed when the front chain is on the largest sprocket and on the smaller cassette, and turn the screw marked H (High) so that the gap between the chain and the inner plane of the frame is a millimeter. If, after that, the chain still reluctantly climbs onto a large sprocket, slightly unscrew the screw H.
Now we sit on the bike and try how successful the gearshift settings were. If the chain does not shift well to low speed (smaller sprockets), twist the cable tension adjuster located on the front derailleur coin on the handlebar to loosen the cable tension. When the chain sluggishly climbs onto large sprockets, tighten the cable with the same adjuster.
How to replace the shift cable on a bicycle?
There is no special science in shifting gears on a bicycle; at first glance, everything is simple. Two levers on the left, two on the right, or even just a grip-shift. what could be easier. But nevertheless, observing novice cyclists, one may notice not entirely correct and coordinated actions. But consistency when cycling is the most important thing! Only in this way will you be able to move around on a bike as efficiently as possible, make maneuvers, overcome obstacles.
As an example, we will consider the most ordinary mountain bike (MTB) with three stars in front and 8-9 in the back.
If the chain slips with effort when pedaling, this means that it is stretched and it is time to change it. If you haven’t changed it for a long time, you may also have to change the stars with the cassette. a worn out chain quickly destroys a star.
If some certain speeds do not turn on well, check if the cable runs freely in the shirts and if there are any breaks, as well as places with unbraided cable winding. Shirts with breaks and those in which the cable runs with difficulty must be replaced, as can a damaged cable. The same problem can be caused by a bent cock.
If the switch suddenly stopped working altogether, then the problem is clearly in the cable: either it is badly tightened with a fixing bolt, or it has broken.
And another important point. When changing gears, make sure that there is no skewing of the chain, due to its location simultaneously on opposite sprockets of the connecting rod and cassette, as well as on the middle sprocket and extreme sprockets of the cassette. Incorrect chain positioning is shown schematically in the picture. Because of this, there is a rapid wear of both the chain and the stars.
In general, setting up your bike’s gear shifters is quick (30-40 minutes) and effortless.
What is the function of cables in a bicycle
Bicycle derailleur cable is a secure metal connection made of steel (stainless or galvanized) between the derailleurs and the derailleur. The function of the cables is to receive and transmit the necessary forces to the bicycle mechanism at the right time. Then the gear selector on the bike starts moving. Therefore, it is very important in case of breakdown to immediately replace the element with a new one.
The pulling force of this wire increases or decreases depending on which gear the rider selects. The maximum tension is the working state of the element, if for some reason it weakens, then it has become unusable and must be replaced.
The cable is positioned and moved inside a flexible tube called a jacket (sheath). It is a plastic tube covered with a spiral (or parallel) metal braid with a protective outer layer. The sheath protects the cable from various damages. In case of failure, it should be urgently replaced with a new one.
The brake cable is large and highly durable. He takes on more serious loads when braking the bike, when driving at different speeds and tracks. When you press the brake adjustment of the bike, the element starts to move and regulates the approach of the braking surface to the brake pad. Be sure to monitor the condition of the brake cable and replace it in case of failure.
A bicycle gearshift cable looks like a cable in which:
- the main part. 7 cores;
- twisting part in the form of a spiral. 12 cores.
Spirally wound steel strands make the product more reliable and durable, while maintaining maximum flexibility.
The shirt itself is multi-layered, it has the following layers:
- protective steel stranded;
- polymer inner and outer.
This element differs in the brake and shift cable of a bicycle:
- in the braking mechanism. the protective layer is placed in rings on top of the polymer inner layer (this increases flexibility and resistance to high loads);
- in the switching scheme. the protection layer is located in the form of an elongated spiral (parallel to the switching cable).
It is important to know that the shirt for the shift cables on a bicycle will not be able to withstand the load from the brake elements. they are not compatible, the elements cannot be replaced with one another.
Replacing the cable
If the bike‘s gearshift cable is worn out, you can replace it yourself without contacting a technical service. When disassembling, remember the order and position of all elements. To do this, you need hex keys and wire cutters or a knife (to remove worn parts of the cable). The repair of the rear and front cables are similar, but when changing the latter, choose the lowest gear.
- The bike‘s rear derailleur is mounted on a small chainring. The ends of the cable are cut, the clamping screw is loosened;
- The fasteners of the shifters are loosened with keys and removed;
- Reduce fixation and remove the protection cover;
- Gently take out the cable, helping with the tension regulator;
- Check the braid, if it is in a satisfactory condition, it is left;
- Pull back the spring and release the cable head. When installing a new element, the spring will also need to be moved;
- Replace the old worn out cable with a new one, it must be installed in the same positions as the old one. Check the installation;
- Install back the protection cover by turning clockwise;
- The cable is pulled into the braid of the shirt until the ends appear in the rear derailleur of the bike. A negative nuance may occur when the ends of the element will not come out in the rear derailleur (jam, bend, catch), in which case it will have to be replaced;
- After installation, check the location of the rear derailleur. it should be at the smallest sprocket. Fix the position of the cable element onto the screw;
- Excess wire is cut with wire cutters, leaving about 2.5. 3 cm, the ends are squeezed so that they do not fray.
Immediately after replacing the elements, be sure to check the operation of the shifters, tension, switching, everything must be in perfect working order.
Check for a malfunction
In order not to bring the cable and braids to a neglected state, when it remains only to replace the malfunction, you should check the technical condition of these elements from time to time.
The check for the presence of a malfunction is carried out as follows:
- The transmission is switched to a small sprocket;
- Inspect the condition of the cable and shirt for faults and disheveledness;
- Unscrew the fixing bolt on the front and rear derailleurs and remove (expose) the cable from the grooves, check for contamination (and remove it);
- Moving the cable, check the smoothness of its movement in the braid. With good cable movement, the sheath can be lubricated. It is better to choose winter oils for cars, they will not let the components freeze when the bike is operated in sub-zero temperatures down to.25 ° C. When storing the bike in the winter, this lubricant will not evaporate, unlike its alcohol-based counterparts;
- If the elements are serviceable and there is nothing to replace, then they go to the switch settings, check the shifters (according to the instructions), if there is dirt, they remove it, add grease.
If a malfunction is detected in the components of this bike bike mechanism, they need to be replaced.
Cables and shirts wear out
If malfunctions begin when the rear derailleur of the bike is working, you should immediately check the condition of the shift cables. Most often this is the reason. The option either does not fully work or its movement is stuck. The working elements of the bicycle become unusable during use and should be replaced. They are also influenced by the following factors:
- dirt, moisture;
- precipitation, bad weather;
- temperature changes;
- improper bike care. all parts must be kept clean and dry, if necessary lubricated, including with aerosols.
Since the cable consists of thin metal wires, over time they inevitably begin to fray and wear out (in the most exploited places), bend and break. The same goes for braiding.
Problems with gear shift faults
If the gear shift cables break, it becomes impossible to control the bike, which means that the bike is out of order.
- Shirts are broken. it is necessary to check their integrity. This can be detected visually if there is a visible defect resulting, for example, when a bicycle has been dropped. The outer casing will be springy and will not transmit the cable impulse to the derailleur. Or low-quality copies. There is only one way out. to replace the damaged element;
- Rust has accumulated under the tip of the braid, the wires are crawling out or everything is tousled;
- The components (wires) of the cable itself have worn out (it unravels and gets stuck in the braid) and the necessary lubrication is completely absent, as well as the presence of rust and oxide. Everything should be replaced. Priority is given to sanded cables (smooth) for the bike.
Professionals do not recommend refueling the old cable versions with grease, since after one or two kilometers of riding a bike, sand sticks to the grease and clogs inside, which aggravates the situation. Better to replace worn out components.
How to replace the shift cable on a bicycle
The gearshift system on the bike is an important part of the drivetrain that allows you to change the speed of rotation of the torque. Accordingly, the gearshift cable must always be in good condition. If it suddenly broke or worn out over time, then it urgently needs to be replaced. This must be done well in advance to avoid possible accidents. How to replace the gearshift cable on a bicycle on your own, what malfunctions and problems arise in the operation of this element, we will consider further in more detail.
Thus, it is quite possible to identify and troubleshoot a cable on a bicycle. It will not be difficult to replace the damaged element with a new one on your own. It is only necessary to carry out all actions in stages, according to the instructions, and be sure to check the working condition after installation. After that, you can go on a trip.
What are the best bike shifters
Every owner of a high-speed bike knows what a bicycle shifter is. These devices are directly involved in gear shifting, with their help the cyclist easily and simply controls the transfer of the chain through the cassette stars. The detail is small, but it depends on its state whether the bike will be fast, as it should be, or whether it will “get stuck” in one gear.
What are shifters, and how are they arranged
Shifters are gear shifter actuators attached to the handlebars of a bicycle. Modern high-speed bikes are 90% equipped with two shifting systems. front and rear. respectively, each equipped with its own shifter. On the left handlebar is the drive mechanism for the front derailleur, on the right for the rear.
In the classic 3 X 8 gearshift system, there are 2-3 rear sprockets for each chainring. By analogy, one division of the left shifter includes 2-3 divisions of the right. On bikes with a single gearshift system (rear cassette only) or on the planetary hub, one shifter is installed, on the right side of the handlebar.
The professional name for these devices is shifters. Their internal structure is quite simple, it includes several mating parts:
- drive handle;
- movable block;
- free lever;
- shift cable;
- spring ratchet lock.
Thus, by changing the tension of the cable on the block, the corresponding gear is set. It is imperative that the shifting mechanism is fine-tuned, and one division on the shifter exactly corresponds to the chain tossing exactly one sprocket. If the shifter works properly, but the gears do not shift or skip over two or three, then it is necessary to adjust the speed switch.
Types of shifters, their differences
Initially, bicycle shifters worked on the principle of sliding the cable and fixing the cable with a nut. Here, the gear was determined by the tension on the shifter body, approximately as described above. Later, ratchets were installed in them, and the method of changing the position of the cable is called index.
Modern bicycle models are equipped with several types of drive mechanisms:
- brake. Dual control;
Gripper shifters change the cable tension by moving the drum around the steering wheel axis. The movement is carried out back and forth, in the center there is a pointer along which the gear is set. Other models can be equipped with an arrow display.
The advantages of these shifters include the geometric integrity of the devices, the absence of protruding parts and instant response when the drum moves. It is noted that grip shifts are easy to operate.
- random switching;
- take up a lot of space on the steering wheel;
- the swing mechanism of budget models breaks easily.
Triggers are the second common type of shifters, where shifting is carried out by means of protruding levers: tension and release. The first upshifts, the second downs. Front and rear shifters work opposite to each other: the front up lever is down for the rear, and vice versa.
- clear operating principle;
- levers are light to the touch, do not distract from control;
- there is no risk of accidental switching as with grip shifters. hands on grips do not touch the shifters.
Of course, there are disadvantages, taking into account which grips are better than triggers:
- if the bike falls, the levers may break;
- tight pulling of the cable on fast transitions through 2-3 gears, which causes a delay in switching;
- incorrect alignment with the brake pincers (however, this is more a “jamb” of the bike manufacturer than shifters).
Triggers come in several flavors:
- lever and button above the steering wheel (Ez-Fire Plus). budget “Shimanov” models;
- with steering column placement of levers (Rapidfire). Shimano high class;
- Trigger: SRAM single lever shifters, new SRAM models with lever and button.
Dual Control, or brake shifters, are activated by moving the brake lever in a perpendicular direction. The novelty was presented by Shimano. Compared to the previous types, drive units of this type are used in narrow circles and are installed on expensive foreign models.
Dual Control does not interfere with the bike’s control even when the grip is moved. Also of great interest is their design, where the brake claw has two degrees of freedom. We can say that shifters of this type are integrated into the brakes. Along with this, there are a number of serious disadvantages:
- cannot be installed on hydraulics;
- poor compatibility with rear derailleurs;
- are put only “from scratch”.
Pistols. shifters specifically for racing bicycles. Their design is similar to Dual Control in that the gearshift mechanism and brake actuator are integrated and controlled by a single lever. To brake, you need to pull the lever back to increase the gear inward, and to lower it, press the auxiliary lever under the claw.
A significant advantage of this mechanism is the ease of control in any grip, the disadvantages are the high price and low braking force.
How to independently replace and sort out the shifters on a bicycle
Sooner or later, the shifter may stop working correctly or even refuse to serve further. Pulling or loosening the cable may not solve the problem, so you will need to replace the old mechanism.
New shifters come assembled with a cable, so you don’t need to assemble them from scratch. All operations are reduced to removing the old part, installing a new one and the obligatory adjustment of the switches.
- Removing the grips from the bicycle handlebars. They are often thicker than the grip of the shifter yokes and will interfere with removal.
- Disconnect the gearshift cables from the derailers.
- Loosen the mounting bolts and remove the shifters from the steering wheel.
After that, you can put new parts on the bike:
- Attach the shifters to the handlebars. Do not move the brake levers during operation.
- Gently thread the cables through the frame to the derailleurs.
- Connect new cables.
- Adjust switches, test new shifters. Adjustment must be done with both cables attached to the switches.
If the shifters do not work very well, they get stuck on shifts, you can use an alternative option. bulkhead, cleaning and lubrication. In the event of a malfunctioning part, you can put it from a similar model, then this is the repair of the shifter. In any case, you will have to disassemble it, and how to do this, we will find out further.
Bulkhead and repair using the example of Shimano shifter:
1. Unscrew the bolt of the lower cover, pull it out.
Remove the top cover, which contains the speed indicator.
We get to the ratchet mechanism with dogs. Common problems, which can be: entry of antennae, dirt or lack of lubrication. In the first case, further disassembly makes sense if you insert a new washer with antennae from another shifter.
We take out the pressure piece and levers.
Unscrew the screw that holds the case.
We remove the case, take out the ratchet mechanism with a cable.
Separating the ratchet from the plastic washer.
There is a pull-up dog on the body near the cable fixing, it should not be disassembled, since it will be quite difficult to assemble.
Disconnect the levers: pry the springs at the junction of the levers with narrow claws.
Carefully wipe and lubricate all parts of the shifting mechanism. Installation is in the reverse order.
This is how the shifter is being repaired using an example. The most important thing in work is to keep all the details separately from each other in the field of view.
So, in this article we learned how the bicycle shifters are arranged and work, what types they are divided into, their pros and cons. It will not be difficult to change the shifters yourself to new ones, disassembly should also not cause any difficulties.
The device of the spreader and the reasons for its functional failures
Before adjusting the rear derailleur on a bicycle, it is useful to find out the reasons for the malfunctioning of the mechanism. The essence of the problem lies in the following points:
- Cable damage or lack of lubricant.
- Violation of the integrity of the cable jacket.
- Curved cock. fastening the mechanism to the bike frame.
- Worn chain or sprocket cassette.
- Jammed chain tensioner rollers.
- Steering wheel gear shift problems.
Chain tension rollers
There are miniature sprockets on the derailleur frame. they also need to be periodically cleaned from dirt and lubricated with liquid oil. If the rollers are operated for a long time without proper care, then they will definitely start to jam. the chain will rub over them, bounce and fly off the rear sprockets.
Carbon-coated rollers on the outside and ceramic bearings on the inside have recently entered the market. manufacturers claim they will last forever. Experts recommend not to spend your money on these fashionable “chips”. with proper and regular care, ordinary plastic rollers will serve for a long time.
What is the adjustment
Before embarking on the process of adjusting the rear derailleur of the bicycle, you need to know what is provided for such work. There are 5 adjusting screws on the bike:
- Hollow screw with a drum for tensioning (this is one of the ways to adjust) the cable.
- Diverter travel stop screw marked with “H”. only works for the smallest sprocket.
- Spreader Stroke Stop Screw Marked “L”. Only Works For Largest Sprocket.
- Cage bolt with nut. designed for fastening the cable.
- Special screw for tensioning the chain.
Note: some models of bicycles (usually this refers to inexpensive brands) are not equipped with a cable tension drum or a chain tension screw. But in this case, manufacturers install an adjusting drum on the steering wheel at the shifters. This makes it possible to adjust / adjust the level of tension of the cable directly in the movement of the bicycle, only first you will need to throw the chain onto the smallest sprocket.
How to change a shift cable on your MTB
Routine flushing and lubrication of the ropes and their jackets sometimes gives astonishing results. Practice shows that after this operation it becomes much easier to make transitions. If you find a torn cable with a part of unbraided wires, it should be replaced immediately. The same situation with the shirt, which is damaged.
Unexpected failures when transferring gears can be caused by two reasons:
- Pulled out the cable from the fixing bolt of the mechanism.
- At one end of the shirt, a plug was pushed through.
Before adjusting the rear derailleur on a mountain bike, you need to check the condition of the cock. It may bend from a fall or when driving on uneven surfaces. It is categorically impossible to straighten the part directly on the bicycle, because the frame of the assembly is fragile, it is better to dismantle the bent cock and align it on a metal plate.
You should also pay attention to the degree of wear of the chain drive, which occurs due to a long drive on non-standard gear combinations. Chain tensioner rollers need periodic maintenance. they need to be cleaned and lubricated at least once a year.
The adjustment of the rear derailleur of the bicycle is carried out as follows:
- The mechanism is tuned to the smallest of the stars.
- The cable is loosening. For this purpose, the clamp screw is unscrewed.
- Front derailleur chain mounts to middle sprocket.
- The functionality of the circuit is checked. To accomplish this task, the pedals are simply rotated. If the chain falls, you need to adjust the high gear limiter screw. As a result of this action, the smallest of the stars in front and the rear derailleur are on one side.
- The cable is tightly tightened and the tightening bolt is clamped.
- The switch is being tested. Each speed, from lowest to highest, is clicked. If a failure occurs in any area, the cable tension is re-adjusted.
Adjusting the rear derailleur should be done with the utmost care. All actions with the cable are performed smoothly. You need to be patient and avoid sudden movements.
The ropes and their shirts
As strange as it sounds, most often the adjustment of the rear derailleur consists in cleaning and subsequent lubrication of the cables and their shirts. These bike parts can be of high quality, or worse quality. both of them will work for a rather long time if the bicycle owner at least once a month cleans them of dirt and lubricates them with liquid oil.
Note: if during the next service a torn cable or a damaged casing (its shirt) is found, then they must be completely replaced with new parts.
Correct adjustment depending on the type
Adjustment is necessary in cases where gear shifting on the bike starts to cause problems. As a rule, such actions are carried out in such cases:
- a bike was purchased that was poorly adjusted in the sports department;
- violation of the rules for transporting a bicycle;
- vehicle mileage is large enough.
The work will need the following tools:
The front derailleur setting is significantly different from the rear derailleur setting.