Who is at risk
Knee pain, crunching and swelling in the affected area are more common in some people than others. The risk group includes people in whom:
- The presence of primary pathologies.
- Genetic predisposition.
- Constant sports knee overload.
- Excessive body weight.
- There was surgery on the knee joint.
- Insufficient development of the muscular apparatus of the knee joint.
Diagnosis of pathology and first aid
Even “Launched” joint problems can be cured at home! Just remember to smear it with it once a day.
Many people complain that their knees hurt, but they don’t know what to do. But when you feel pain and crunch in the knee joint, it is imperative to undergo an examination and start treatment.
Diagnostics involves the use of the following procedures:
- Laboratory tests of blood and urine.
- Blood chemistry.
- Puncture of bone marrow and synovial fluid.
- Swabs for bacterial microflora.
- Arthroscopy. This procedure is used both as a diagnosis and as a treatment for joint pain. It is not difficult to do it, and a long period of rehabilitation is NOT required.
- MRI or CT.
Trauma as a cause of pain syndrome
Pathological processes in this case can develop both immediately after receiving damage, and some time after it. The following injuries of the knee joint can be distinguished:
- Separation, tears, or rupture of the knee ligaments. These injuries lead to the emergence of the syndrome “extension” of the joint. In addition, a person feels severe pain, hemarthrosis of the joint develops, which becomes unstable.
- Injury. Here, the intensity of the pain syndrome is low. There are no more serious consequences after the injury. Edema and hematoma usually disappear on their own after one to two weeks.
- Rupture of the meniscus. It is caused by a strong blow to the front area of the knee joint. After the acute period of the pathology has passed, the pain syndrome usually bothers the patient while climbing the stairs, which is quite difficult to implement. There is slight swelling in the knee.
- Fracture. It appears when dropped from a great height or strong impact. The pain is strong, sharp, edema appears in the affected area, and the skin turns pale. The victim cannot stand on the injured leg on his own. During a fracture, a crunch and crackle is heard, and the bone can break through the skin.
- Tendon rupture. This injury is uncommon, but it leads first to acute and then aching pain. When walking, lion or right knee pain worsens.
- Dislocation of the knee joint. In this case, some of the constituent parts of the joint may come out of it.
Trauma can cause chronic illness. For more details, see:
Therapeutic gymnastics and massage
If the knee joint hurts when getting up, you hear a crunch, and discomfort bothers you even at night, physical exercises, as well as massage sessions, will help get rid of stiffness and relieve pain syndrome.
In this case, gymnastics should be done if the person is not very painful and with the permission of the doctor. All exercises are done slowly. You cannot make any sudden movements. If your knees hurt a lot at the same time, then you need to switch to the simplest exercises. Weekly load can be increased.
In a prone or sitting position, you can do flexion and extension of the limbs, alternate half-turns, pulling the knees to the stomach, abducting the legs to the sides. After completing the set of exercises, you need to rest, and then proceed to massage. This procedure is also very effective in relieving pain.
Sore knees can be kneaded, rubbed on their own, it will only be better if a specialist does it. In order to get rid of most of the symptoms, you need to perform a course of massage procedures, one session of which lasts NOT more than 20 minutes. Rubbing the inner and outer, as well as lateral surfaces, pressing on the patella is performed. During the procedure, you need to Make sure that the person does not hurt.
In this, Dr. Odintsov conducts a demonstrative knee massage to the patient:
In what cases it is imperative to consult a doctor
If a person feels that his knees hurt, then urgently he needs to consult a specialist in this case:
- For more than two months, the patient has a aching pain that does not allow him to sleep peacefully at night.
- If the pain syndrome is of high intensity, it appears suddenly.
- A crunch is heard in the knee joint when walking.
- Knees hurt every day, and at a certain time, under certain conditions.
- Instability is felt in the knee joint from time to time.
- If additional pathological signs are present: skin rash, fever, fever.
- Aching pain appeared, which is accompanied by deformation of the joints, limitation of their mobility.
- Pain syndrome becomes a constant companion of a person.
- Signs of an inflammatory process appeared: skin redness, edema, increased local temperature in the affected area.
Already these signs are enough to make a decision to see a doctor. Delaying the visit, the patient increases the duration and complexity of therapy, and also enables the pathology to develop further.
Knee joint structure
To better understand why your knees hurt, you need to understand their anatomy. So, the Joint consists of the femur, tibia and patella. The two largest bones have two protrusions: the inner and outer condyles.
All surfaces that are in contact with each other are covered with hyaline cartilage. Thanks to it, the mobility of the knee joint and its shock-absorbing properties are ensured. Around this junction of the bones is a kind of capsule, lined with a synovial layer from the inside. It is filled with synovial fluid, thanks to which the joint is nourished, and its mobility is ensured.
The knee joint is not only made of bones. All its elements are united by cruciate and collateral ligaments, femoral muscles, tendons. The patella is attached to other elements through its own ligament. In order for the knee to move, 6 synovial bags are needed. The nutrition and innervation of the presented joint is carried out through the nerves and blood vessels, which are located in the soft tissues surrounding the joint.
Knee pain: causes, treatment, why knees hurt, what to do about it, how and how to treat them
The knee joint is one of the largest and most complex. It is subjected to tremendous stress on a daily basis, so it is not surprising that from time to time it stops functioning normally. If your knees hurt, their swelling is noticeable, and the pain is almost constant, then you must definitely consult a doctor. Such a pathological condition may be a signal of the development of one of the diseases that deforms the joint. Naturally, it is necessary to learn to distinguish between situations when a visit to the doctor is very necessary. But lack of treatment or self-treatment can lead to complications.
How to treat knee joints at home?
Crunching knees, as well as Pain that appears at night, is an unpleasant phenomenon. Why these symptoms appear is already known. However, it is possible to relieve pain and restore normal joint functionality not only with medications. You can do this at home using folk remedies.
The following recipes may be helpful:
You can self-massage the knee at home. How to do this, see:
Knee pain: causes of
If the knee begins to hurt, swelling appears, mobility is limited, and the discomfort is severe enough, an urgent need to consult a doctor. If the destructive process has already begun, then it will be impossible to completely cure the knee. However, it will be possible to stop or slow down its progression.
So, the following causes of pain in the knee joint can be distinguished:
Gonarthrosis. It occurs in almost 50% of all cases of joint damage. Pathology develops for a very long time. Among the symptoms of this disease, one can distinguish the following: the knee does not hurt at rest, but it becomes difficult for a person to climb stairs, walks for a long time, squats and stands up. During movement, the patient hears a crunch in the knee, his mobility decreases. Over time, due to cartilage wear, the distance between the bony surfaces decreases. In this case, osteophytes appear, nerves and blood vessels are compressed, and the knee is deformed;
- Circulatory problems (necrosis). This disrupts the nutrition of the knee. Most often, this condition manifests itself in adolescents. It is in them that too rapid bone growth occurs, in which their nutrition is somewhat difficult. If at first the pain in the knee joint is severe enough, then after a while its intensity decreases. The pain is usually localized to one point and does not extend to the entire knee. The discomfort may increase due to hypothermia;
- Arthritis. It is an inflammatory pathology of the knee that can be diagnosed in young people, especially women. At the same time, the knee hurts very much, the affected area is characterized by edema, the skin turns red. Painful sensations at night become more pronounced. The knee hurts even at rest, when the weather changes. The reason for the development of pathology is excessive body weight, old age, weakness of the immune system;
- Bursitis. This is an inflammatory lesion of the synovial bags of the knee. The characteristic symptoms of the pathology are redness of the skin in the affected area, edema, and decreased range of motion. The cavities of the synovial bags are filled with exudate, which contains harmful microorganisms. The cause of the development of pathology is trauma, excessive physical activity. The knee Not only hurts very badly, the person has general weakness and malaise;
- Synovitis. Here, the inflammation affects the synovium of the knee joint. In the articulation area, swelling and burning pain appear;
- Periarthritis. This disease is more often diagnosed in women with a large body weight, and who are already 40 years old. Discomfort is felt when climbing stairs, when straightening your legs. The pathological process affects the tendons, ligaments and muscles, the capsule of the joint. Painful aching, swelling appears on the limb;
- Chondromatosis. This disease is characterized by the formation of small nodules of cartilage tissue, which are located in the shell of the articular bag. In this case, dehydration of the joint is manifested, its mobility is limited, a crunch is heard when moving. Since the soft tissues are pinched, the patient feels severe pain;
- Chondromalacia of the patella. Here, cartilage undergoes degenerative changes: it simply dies off. The reasons for this pathological condition are commonplace: a knee injury, features of some professions. At the same time, the knee hurts very much, the discomfort becomes more pronounced with any movement. In the left or right knee, a crunch, crackle is very well heard. They practically cannot stand on the affected limb of a person;
- Bone tumor. Knee pain appears due to the growth of a neoplasm, which squeezes soft tissues with nerves and blood vessels;
- Baker’s cyst. It is a small hernia that can occur in young adults and children from 3 to 7 years old. It is so small that it cannot always be diagnosed on examination. It does not pose a threat to human health and does NOT pose any discomfort. However, if it grows larger, the Articulation may hurt, especially when bending and straightening the leg. If the hernia is large, then an operation is performed to remove it;
- Knee tendinitis. This is an inflammation of the tendons in the knee area, which cannot function normally. Almost everyone is susceptible to the disease. The pain is usually aching, and the affected area reacts to changing weather;
- Osteochondritis knee pads. This is where the cartilage peels off from the articular surface. At first, the knee does not hurt very much, but over time its intensity increases, and inflammation joins the pathological process;
- Koenig’s disease. Here, some of the cartilage can detach from the bone and move within the joint. At the same time, movement becomes difficult, mild pain appears. With progression, there is also swelling of the knee joint. Treatment of pathology in adults is more difficult than in children;
- Osgood-Schlatter pathology. It involves the formation of a bump in the knee area. Most often, the disease is diagnosed in boys, as well as people involved in sports. The pain is sharp, aggravated by bending and straightening the leg.
What to do?
People who have pain in their legs while cycling, and should not ignore it. The earlier a problem is identified, the easier it is to fix it. A sports doctor will help not only reduce pain, but also prevent their recurrence.
If your knees hurt after a bicycle, then you should absolutely not self-medicate. Only the doctor knows what drugs to prescribe, but even He will not dare to do it without prior diagnosis. And the use of drugs, and even without establishing the cause of the pain, can be not only ineffective, but also risky. In most cases, the following drugs are prescribed to eliminate symptoms and improve the condition of the articular cartilage:
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (Ortofen, Ksefokam).
- Chondroprotectors (Dona, Structum, Teraflex).
- Vitamins and minerals (Calcemin).
Particular attention is paid to Local preparations (ointment, gel, cream) with a warming effect, applicable not only for treatment, but also as a prophylaxis (Finalgon, Apizartron, Nikoflex).
Knees hurt after a bike
Everyone knows that cycling has a beneficial effect on the state of the body: the cardiovascular and respiratory systems are trained, muscles are strengthened, and the general level of health rises. But at the same time, the load on the lower limbs, especially the knees, increases, because you need to constantly pedal. If a person sits on a bicycle only from time to time for a walk, then, most likely, he should not worry about joints. But in avid amateurs and professional athletes, who drive tens and hundreds of kilometers a day, knee pains are often observed. In order not to aggravate the situation and take timely measures, you need to navigate the causes of this condition and methods of correction.
Even errors in cycling technology that are not eliminated can lead to the further development of pathology. Incorrect distribution of the load on the joint, as well as excessive sports efforts, further lead to a violation of the condition of the cartilage: it cracks and becomes thinner. And because of the accompanying vascular changes, tissue nutrition worsens. This degenerative-dystrophic process is called osteoarthritis.
Knee pain is felt at first with significant exertion, but over time it also occurs at rest. Usually they are mechanical in nature, i.e. they are amplified after the bike ride. If inflammation of the joint capsule (synovitis) joins, then unpleasant sensations persist at moments of rest. In addition, the following signs indicate arthrosis:
- Crunching and crepitus in the joint.
- Stiffness in the morning.
- Restricted mobility.
If you did not attach due importance to the painful sensations and continue training with the same intensity, then the path to disability is not long, when you cannot ride a bike, and even walks will be difficult. Contracture develops in the joint, and its range of motion is significantly narrowed. Therefore, pathology cannot be started. frequent and prolonged discomfort in the knee should be a signal for a medical examination and examination.
If a knee hurts after falling off a bicycle, then it is easy to assume an injury to the joint or surrounding tissues. Symptoms depend on the nature of the injury, but common symptoms include:
- Sharp pain.
- Joint swelling.
- Hematoma, bruising.
- Decreased range of motion.
After an acute injury, it becomes impossible to continue the trip due to pain. This is even dangerous, since the stress on the affected knee only worsens the condition of the tissues. Due to severe damage, blood can accumulate in the joint, leading to worsening of symptoms. And with fractures, more serious manifestations develop:
- Axial pain.
- The inability to stand up.
- Limb deformity.
- Pathological mobility.
- Crepitation of bone fragments.
Therefore, injuries as a cause of knee pain in cyclists cannot be ignored. If the fact of acute damage is denied, then it is necessary to exclude a chronic process associated with overloading soft tissues: ligaments and tendons. Micro-tears in their fibers lead to sprains and tendopathies.
If your knees hurt after a bike, then you need to look for the cause of the discomfort. They just DO NOT occur. this is a signal to a person in some kind of joint or body problem. First of all, it should be noted that during cycling, the knees are in an unnatural position. Evolutionarily, a person moves in an upright position, so the greatest physiological load falls on the extended joints of the lower extremities. And while pedaling, the situation is completely different. On a bicycle, the knees are stressed when they are bent, which is not very good for them. This feature alone is already a prerequisite for joint damage.
And if there are additional factors associated with improper cycling, then the situation can seriously worsen, and the knees will hurt much faster. These violations include:
- Low seat position.
- Slow pedaling speed (cadence).
- Incorrect seat positioning in longitudinal direction.
- NOT warmed or cooled knee joints.
- Not drinking enough fluids.
Such reasons are common among beginners, and already accomplished athletes may suffer from the desire for great achievements, and, despite the warnings of coaches, increase the intensity and duration of the load. But the consequences will NOT be long in coming, and if you do not pay attention to the pain, you can easily become disabled after even a thousand kilometers. A situation in which the knees bother after a long break or at the beginning of the season may indicate a decrease in fitness or the need to “roll out”.
Other causes of pain are associated with pathological processes in the knee itself or surrounding tissues. During cycling, injuries due to falls or blows are not uncommon: bruises, sprains and even fractures. They are mainly observed due to non-compliance with safety regulations. But chronic degenerative diseases of the articular apparatus look much more serious, among which osteoarthritis comes first. a consequence of systematic knee overload and metabolic disorders in the body.
Cycling is good for healthy knees. And if pain appears, you should temporarily stop training.
Due to violation of the rules of cycling, knee pain can occur even very soon, because this increases the already considerable load on the joints. The clinical symptoms do NOT need to be repeated, but some common mistakes novice cyclists make:
A knowledgeable person will notice a lot from the outside, and the amateur himself will feel the wrong ride due to rapid fatigue in the legs and pain in various parts of the body, and not just in the knees.
When articular pathology is detected, along with drugs, non-drug drugs are prescribed that help to reduce pain impulses in the joints. Such methods should primarily include physiotherapy. It allows you to improve blood circulation in the knee, activate biochemical processes in tissues, relieve swelling and inflammation. After injuries and arthrosis, the following procedures are shown:
- Electro- and phonophoresis.
- UHF therapy.
- Laser treatment.
- Paraffin and mud therapy.
Physiotherapy is available for acute and chronic cases. Having a rather mild effect on tissues, even they have certain contraindications.
How to protect?
Knee pain after cycling while riding can be relieved.
Of course, in order for your knees NOT to suffer, if you like to regularly exercise on a bike, you need to know how to protect your joints and legs. You Should Become Familiar with Cadence.
Cadence refers to the speed at which a person needs to pedal in order to power the bicycle. Scientists say that in order for your health not to be harmed, and at the same time the bicycle develops a decent speed, you need about 100 revolutions per minute. However, this value can vary from 80 to 210 rpm. Try to count how many revolutions you are doing when you are not straining your legs too much, and at the same time moving at an acceptable speed.
Remember! The lower your pedaling speed, the harder it becomes to pedal. At the same time, as paradoxical as it may be, your joints experience more tension.
In case you start to brake or drive up a hill, you need to switch to low speeds.
Also, you need to pay attention to the position of your feet on the bike. Try to keep your knees NOT apart, but rather closer to the frame.
Also, pay due attention to the installation of the clipless pedals. Unfortunately, very often, immediately after purchasing a bicycle, people climb on it and start riding, while not paying attention to how the pedals are installed. And they, often, are installed crookedly, because the manufacturer does not particularly strive to maintain the health of its buyer.
In this case, your leg works asymmetrically, and this can cause huge damage to the joints, and knee pain will haunt you the rest of the time. Therefore, adjust exactly how your foot should be positioned on the pedal.
Another trick that will allow you to sit in the saddle for a long time, while NOT getting a total of knee pain, is having a bottle of drinking water. Today, many advanced bicycle models are equipped with a special bottle holder, and the bottles themselves are stylistically suitable for the bicycle. As a rule, the volume reaches from one to one and a half liters. Do a few gulps every 15-20 minutes. In case you have a long ride, then have a spare bottle of water with you, or attach to the bike frame from two to three flasks.
Such simple methods will allow you to get rid of knee pain, and after even a long bike ride you will feel cheerful and light. Also, do not forget that periodically you still need to get off your iron horse and warm up. This is necessary so that the vessels do NOT take only one shape, but are periodically subjected to getting up into place.
Before talking about the causes of knee pain, as well as in the joints above the knees, after such an exercise as cycling, it is necessary to turn to history.
A person did not always stand on two legs, kept his back straight and had the opportunity to move around by various types of transport. In the process of evolution, our body was first bent, and then, a person rose on all fours and finally on his feet.
The back also gradually straightened, until, just a few million years ago, it became straight, creating our familiar image of a person. Once upon a time, our knees were always bent. In this position, the load on the knee joints was NOT in the strongest way, but evenly distributed on the hands too.
That is why, despite the fact that the process of evolution has come to its final stage, our body remembers that it would be nice to transfer all the weight to the hands too. Taking a step, we first bend the leg at the knee joint, and only then put it forward. At this moment, the entire load is transferred to the supporting leg. By the way, we advise you to read what to do if your knee hurts during flexion and extension.
Kolenko receives a load in the form of the weight of the entire body, therefore, is in constant tension. As we ride a bicycle, we more and more often transfer the load from one knee to the other, putting mechanisms into action. Thus, we wear out our legs faster, preventing them from rest.
Incorrectly chosen transport also plays a huge role.
It is very important to sit with a straight, not bent back, but so that your legs are straight and not very bent while standing. DO NOT lower the saddle as low as possible. The knee bends very much when cycling, and then the angle between the calf muscle and the knee will be about 80 degrees, which is very small.
You need the angle when you press the pedal is at least 90 degrees. But improper landing is only one of the few reasons due to which a healthy person may experience pain.
Another common cause is lack of fluid.
Despite the fact that the knee is in no way connected with the digestive organs, nevertheless, during movement, this bone works on the lubricant that your body secretes.
In the absence of fluid, the knee dries up, and less fluid is supplied to it. Pain appears due to the fact that the bones begin to rub against each other. Therefore, it is very important to have a bottle of clean drinking water with you. At the same time, you need to drink not only when you are thirsty, but simply, with my tears, your body regularly.
The third reason, which is the basis for the appearance of pain, is hypothermia.
Indeed, many athletes and simply lovers of a healthy lifestyle ride a bicycle Not only on hot summer days, but in autumn, spring and winter. And often, due to low temperatures, gusty winds and other precipitation, they experience hypothermia.
In a situation where it is cold outside, the joints begin to shrink, which becomes the basis for the appearance of pain in the area where these joints are pinched. Namely, on the bend of the knees.
Therefore, even if you decide to ride a bike in cold weather, be sure to insulate the bends of your arms and legs.
Why do knees hurt after cycling? What to do if riding hurts?
Riding a bike is a great exercise that has a beneficial effect on your muscles, as well as your heart and respiratory system.
By cycling several times a week, you will achieve excellent physical shape and forget about shortness of breath for a long time. However, unfortunately, we often have to deal with complaints that are associated with pain after such trips in the knees.
Why does it arise? How to get rid of pain from foot to knee? Why do knees hurt after cycling, what to do if riding is painful and how to get only pleasure while riding? Let’s figure it out in the article.
What to do if your knees already hurt?
Unfortunately, we start to think about what to do only when we get a disastrous result, the knee can swell, emitting a crunch, and will show aching pain. It’s not in our best interest to think about prevention. However, we will tell you how to proceed in case your colleagues have already undergone pain. First of all, you need to understand how strong your pain is.
If this is a common slight indisposition, then it is worth a while to visit a specialist, and if you are experiencing pain systematically, and very much, then you need to see a doctor. In fact, the causes of pain can be various symptoms, which are both mild and very serious. And procrastination can make the situation worse. You need to see either a podiatrist or a good sports doctor.
Therefore, if you value your health, your condition causes you any concern, this is not Madley with treatment. Also, you can independently help your body to recover, and reduce the risk of pain.
- You need to eat foods that are rich in collagen and glucosamine. Unfortunately, very often the absence of such substances in the body may NOT have the best effect on your joints. If you strive to eat the right healthy food, then give preference to marmalade, jelly, jellied meat, small fish, while with bones.
- We recommend that you frequently do joint warming. Since the main prerequisite for knee disease is hypothermia, I often arrange myself warm baths, in which you will add decoctions of herbs, such as chamomile, calendula, oak bark, or even a little turpentine.
- Visit Finnish or Russian baths and saunas more often. You can use a special cream that has a warming effect.
- Protect the knee joints, while carefully covering them with diapers and a scarf.
- Also, do not forget that exercise and other physical activity can have a beneficial effect on your health. If you are not used to sitting behind the wheel of a bicycle for a long time, then it is quite natural that you have pain syndrome. Therefore, prepare your body for sports loads constantly. Start every morning with exercises, walk more, breathe correctly. If possible, I arrange for myself a short distance race.
Your health is in your hands. Therefore, take precautions, and also do everything possible in order to keep your knees in good condition, because the musculoskeletal system is the most important function in your body.
Diseases of the joints. Why do knees hurt after a bike
The bicycle is called the Most healthy means of transportation. However, the way of movement on it is associated with the relative immobility of the upper half of the body, and repetitive, stereotypical movements of the lower half of the body. Sometimes, after cycling, there is a variety of painful sensations in the muscles of the legs and arms, and this is understandable. But if knee joints hurt after a bike. is this normal? And what is it connected with?
A bicycle is a unique means, not only for movement, transportation of light loads, travel. but also a wonderful health fitness trainer. If we consider it from this point of view, then, first of all, it is intended for training the cardiovascular, respiratory system, as well as the musculoskeletal system. During the ride, of course, the vestibular apparatus and the senses are trained.
What pain is normal?
As with any workout that loads muscles, a bicycle can also cause pain. This pain is associated with stress on the striated muscles of the legs and arms. This load is different: the muscles of the legs (the anterior thigh muscle group and the posterior muscles of the lower leg) work with a simple support on the pedal, and when using toe clips, antagonist muscles are also involved.
It is these muscles that experience “trained fatigue”, as they should. When riding with hands, there is a completely different problem: there is alternating muscle work, and in the case of using a mountain bike, for example, their static stress arises, associated with a much greater load. Why is this happening? Indeed, on a mountain bike, a person is tilted forward, and the arms take on the weight of the torso, more precisely, the upper half of the cyclist’s torso. So the mountain bike is rough terrain, then the arms move.
In case of arthritis, or inflammatory lesions, what to do? Better to keep the limbs at rest and see a doctor.
Signs of arthritis, unlike arthrosis, are the following:
- Redness of the skin over the knee;
- Swelling of soft tissues;
- Local feeling of heat over the joint;
- Pain when moving;
- The defeat is more often Asymmetric, on the one hand, in contrast to arthrosis.
Arthritis can occur after injury, hypothermia while driving, due to tuberculosis, brucellosis, tick-borne borreliosis, and many other diseases.
You can ride a bike with arthritis only when the swelling has decreased, the pain has disappeared, the increased temperature of the soft tissues above the joint has dropped and its function has fully recovered.
What to do if knees hurt after cycling? Here we can speak, first of all, in elderly people. What is the situation with arthrosis of the knee joint.
Arthrosis is a dystrophic-degenerative disease in which there is a gradual destruction and deformation of the articular cartilage of the knee joints. The disease is manifested by a gradual progression, the occurrence of pain after exercise, as well as “starting” pain after the start of movement. In the future, there is a crunch, limitation of mobility in the knee joint with its possible deformation.
Why do knee pains occur after cycling?
The fact is that during the “exploitation” of the knee joints, they experience significant relief. It may seem counterintuitive, but even with the most frequent cadence, cycling protects both knees and hip joints. After all, if you think about it, the cyclist mostly sits, and only occasionally, and NOT every day, “twists up the hill”, standing on straight legs.
And if a person moves while sitting, then the main reference point of half of the body weight is the buttocks. And, therefore, all the underlying joints do not carry absolutely any load. First of all, this concerns the hip joint (of course, we are NOT talking about aggressive riding styles). In THESE cases, joint protection and bone integrity are questionable.
As for the knee joint, it only experiences the weight of the hip bone located above it. And even then only when the pedal is at bottom dead center. When the pedal approaches the top dead center, the pressure of the articular surfaces of the femur on the cartilage is reduced to almost zero. And since during this time a person managed to travel a much greater distance than to walk on foot, it becomes clear that it is impossible to think of a more careful means of transportation for arthrosis of the knee joint than a bicycle.
Of course, many may argue: “if your knees hurt after driving, then change to a car.” It is even difficult to imagine more nonsense. This is very bad advice, and here’s why:
- Driving a car leads the muscles of the thighs and lower legs to very rare contractions, only when you press the pedal;
- This leads to impaired blood circulation in the knee joint, which is absolutely impossible to do with arthrosis;
- Impaired circulation leads to malnutrition of the joint. In conditions of arthrosis, this only increases the crunch and pain;
- Finally, “car hypodynamia” leads to a gradual weight gain, which is a factor that increases the load on the cartilage, and a provoking factor in the development of the disease in arthrosis of the knee joints.
The above can be explained by a simple example. Imagine that you have spent forty-five minutes in a movie or theater. If you are a middle-aged person, you may be limping from your chair during the intermission, even with some pain in your knees, and you will have to take two or three wrong steps before you can walk normally. And in the event that you rode these forty minutes on a bike, then you will jump to the ground with ease.
Therefore, if your knees hurt after cycling, there is nothing to worry about. In the same case, if there is pain in the knees while riding a bicycle, and, moreover, constantly, then this is a reason to be examined. After all, not only the load is to blame for the pain, although this is the most frequent reason for its occurrence. Sometimes the very fact of heavy movement, even without stress, can cause pain. This can be a sign of arthritis, or inflammation of the joint, including its capsules.
How to eliminate pain?
If these pains occur during movement, then, most likely, due to any action in the joint, there may simply not be enough joint fluid, and you need to consult a doctor. If your knees hurt at rest, then you just need to try to reduce the load, and after the trips use the ointments “Ketonal”, “Viprosal”, “Apizartron”.
The first of them belongs to the group of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, while the rest contain snake and bee venom. They help well with joint and muscle pain. Every cyclist should have these tools with him.