We expose the extreme position of the frame using a bolt “L”
To adjust the extreme position of the bolt “L”, you must switch to the largest star on the rear derailleur (corresponds to the first speed on the shifter). Next, we begin to twist the bolt “L” until there is a gap of about 1 mm between the chain (which is located on the smallest star of the system) and the switch frame (the smaller the better, the main thing is that the chain does NOT rub against the switch frame).
How to install a rear derailleur on a bike?
The bicycle chain is an important part of the chain drive, which transfers the muscular force of the legs to the wheels, sets the bicycle in motion. This part allows you to convert human energy into mechanical energy from a bicycle. The chain transfers to the rear wheel 95% of the forces that are applied to the pedals.
Bicycle chains differ in the width and distance between the axles that hold the chain links together. The chain width is measured between the inner planes of the plates.
Sizes of standard chains that fit most bicycles:
- 1/8 ” (0.125 “, 3.2 mm)
- 3/32 in. (0.094 “, 2.4 mm)
- Conveyor device and reasons for its functional failures
- Shimano Mountain Bike Rear Derailleur Adjustment Screws: Technical Minimum
- Technique: how to properly adjust the rear derailleur on a bicycle Shimano?
- Preparatory process
- How to adjust the high gear limiter?
- How to adjust the low gear limiter?
- How to adjust the cable tension?
- Adjusting the chain tensioner
- Possible nuances
- Before starting the front derailleur adjustment
- We expose the extreme position of the frame using a bolt “L”
- Set the center position of the front derailleur frame
- We expose the extreme position of the frame using a bolt “H”
- Differences in setting the road derailleur from MTB
- How to properly maintain a chain?
Conveyor device and reasons for its functional failures
Before adjusting the rear derailleur on a bicycle, it is useful to find out the reasons for the malfunctioning of the mechanism. The essence of the problem lies in the following points:
- Cable damage or lack of lubricant.
- Violation of the integrity of the cable jacket.
- Curved cock. fastening the mechanism to the frame of the bike.
- Chain or cassette wear from sprocket.
- Jammed chain tensioner rollers.
- Steering wheel shift shifter problems.
Shimano Mountain Bike Rear Derailleur Adjustment Screws: Technical Minimum
Despite the abundance of parallelogram-type spreaders from a Japanese manufacturer, their design and principle of operation are similar. In the process of adjusting the device, five elements are involved:
- 1. fastening the cable in the form of an embedded bolt with a nut.
- 2. screw for tensioning the cable with a drum.
- 3. screw for adjusting the chain tension.
- L. limit screw for adjusting low gears.
- H. limit screw for high gear adjustments.
Special screws L and H, which are used to adjust the rear derailleur of a bike with Shimano Alivio, physically restrict the movement of the mechanism, which prevents the chain from jumping off. In practice, they are used mainly only when debugging a new transfer device, Subsequently, the procedure is not needed.
In the event that the cock or the mechanism itself is bent, adjusting the limit screws can solve the problem for a short time. Their sensitivity is not very high, so 1-2 turns at a time are quite justified.
Technique: how to properly adjust the rear derailleur on a bicycle Shimano?
The procedure for repairing and debugging the chain drive units must be carried out on a clean bicycle. Be sure to raise the rear wheel, for which they hang the frame on a hook or prepare a special stand.
As mentioned above, a thorough cleaning precedes a competent setting. Sometimes even such a procedure can have a beneficial effect on the performance of devices. Technological aspects of the preparatory work are as follows:
- Clean derailleur and sprocket cassette.
- Clean old grease from tensioner rollers.
- Wash and lubricate the chain.
Next, you need to free the hummock, for which the tension screws in the shifters and on the rear spreader are screwed in until they stop. The cable should be pulled out of the clamping screw, but it is not necessary to remove it. DO NOT interfere with inspecting it for damage and lubricating it if necessary.
How to adjust the high gear limiter?
For alignment, the chain is set to high gear with the smallest sprocket at the back and the largest sprocket at the front. For those who are interested in how to adjust the rear derailleur on a mountain bike, it is important to remember that the essence of the adjustment is to align the rear small chainring with the tensioner rollers. This task is accomplished by rotating the adjusting screw H:
- Clockwise. the frame is deflected towards the large asterisk;
- Counterclockwise. the frame moves to the outside.
How to adjust the low gear limiter?
The function of the L limit screw is to prevent the chain from overshooting the large sprocket. Improper alignment can lead to chain seizure between the sprocket and spokes or the inability to engage low gear.
Before the adjustment procedure, you need to install the chain so that it is on the back on the large sprocket, and in the front on the small one. Screw L is unscrewed as much as possible so that the switch moves without restrictions. The purpose of the set-up is to align the tensioner rollers and large chainring in the same plane. The task is performed by rotating the screw L:
- Clockwise. the spreader assembly shifts towards the small sprocket;
- Counterclockwise. the node moves towards the wheel.
How to adjust the cable tension?
The technological process is simple. it is enough to debug the transition between two neighboring stars, the index gear change system is designed so that the shift will be adjusted on all the stars of the cassette:
- Pull the cable by hand and fix it with the fastening bolt;
- The final adjustment is carried out by rotating the hollow screw with a drum (position 2 in the figure), the chain should easily move from one sprocket to another and back again with one press of the shifter.
Once you have finished adjusting your Shimano rear derailleur on a mountain bike, tighten and secure the cable securely. It is important that it rests in the guide groove. If the work is done correctly, then when the pedals are rotated, the chain runs silently and does NOT jump to the side.
Adjusting the chain tensioner
The tensioner is a spreader assembly that provides optimum chain drive rigidity. Excessive tension Not only makes the chain difficult to move, but also wears out the gearshift system. The weakened state prevents a clear transition.
The tensioner assembly is debugged as follows:
- Place the chain at the rear on the largest sprocket and at the front on the smallest sprocket.
- If, when the chain is moving, the tensioner roller touches the cassette, then you need to tighten the tension screw (position 3 in the figure) so that the gap between them is about 5 mm.
- Install the chain at the back on the smallest sprocket, and at the front on the largest sprocket, and repeat the operation described in point 2.
Sometimes striking results are obtained by the usual washing and lubrication of the cables and their jackets. Practice shows that after this operation it becomes much easier to make transitions. If you find a torn cable with a part of unbraided wires, it should be replaced immediately. The same situation with the shirt, in which damage is observed.
Unexpected failures when shifting gears can be caused by two reasons:
- Pulled out the cable from the fixing bolt of the mechanism.
- There is a plug on one end of the shirt.
Before adjusting the rear derailleur on a mountain bike, you need to check the condition of the cock. It may bend from a fall or when driving on uneven surfaces. It is absolutely impossible to straighten the part directly on the bicycle, because the frame of the assembly is fragile, it is better to dismantle the bent cock and align it on a metal plate.
You should also pay attention to the degree of wear of the chain drive, which occurs due to long drives in non-standard gear combinations. Chain tensioner rollers need periodic maintenance. they need to be cleaned and lubricated at least once a year.
I strongly recommend that you adjust the rear derailleur before you start setting / adjusting the front derailleur so that everything works correctly for you. This manual will fit all brands and models of front derailleurs: Shimano, Sram, Microshift, Campagnolo and second.
- Prerequisites for Switch Setting
- Unscrew the bolt
- Checking the position of the switch frame
- Working with cable and shifter
- We expose the extreme position of the frame
- Checking the switching clarity
- Differences in setting the road derailleur from MTB
Before starting the front derailleur adjustment
Before you start adjusting the front derailleur, make sure you have the following conditions:
1. We start by unscrewing (loosening) the bolt, which holds the front derailleur cable.
2. Next, I recommend checking the position of the switch frame for the star system.
A. Check the swing angle. The switch frame must be parallel to the stars of the system.
B. Check the height. The front derailleur frame should be slightly higher by 1-3mm. Than the biggest star of the system. To adjust, move the frame by hand so that it is above the 3rd star and adjust the height.
3. Now let’s start working with the cable and shifter on the handlebars.
A. Find the cable tension bolt on the shifter and screw it all the way into the shifter and half a turn.
B. Pull the cable by hand or use pliers and Tighten it with the fixing bolt, in which I wrote in paragraph 1. Note that there are special grooves on the washers holding the cable. It is necessary to fix the cable in them.
4. We begin to set the extreme positions of the switch frame with bolts “H” and “L”.
“Low”. adjusts the extreme position of the switch on the smallest star.
Differences in setting the road derailleur from MTB
Differences in front derailleur settings on mountain bikes and road commentary. The only thing is that on a road bike, the star system does not use 3 stars, but two, which makes the setup faster.
If you have a dual system. You will also need to complete all the points, and in the fourth step there will be no adjustment of the central position, and the tension of the cable will be adjusted when switching to the 2nd star, where there will be an adjustment of the extreme position with a screw “H”.
Set the center position of the front derailleur frame
It is necessary to transfer the chain to the central stars of the cassette using the rear derailleur. Switching from the first to the second speed (the chain should initially be on the 1st star), if it does not switch, then it is necessary to tighten the cable with the tension adjuster (see point 3.A), which is located on the shifter. Steep until the chain is clear and fast to the middle star.
We expose the extreme position of the frame using a bolt “H”
When setting the extreme position “H”, we need to switch to the smallest star on the cassette, which corresponds to the largest number on the right shifter from 6 to 11, depending on how many speeds you have there. We put the chain on the third star (the largest star on the system) and the steep screw “H”. We adjust the frame so that the chain does NOT fly onto the connecting rod with a pedal of a clearance of 1 mm will be quite enough.
5. Checking the clarity of gear shifting.
Try to change gears and see if the chain goes to all stars.
Most often, the chain does not go from the second star to the first and clings to the switch frame. This is solved by unscrewing the “L” bolt (so that the switch frame moves towards the frame) one or two turns and everything should work perfectly.
How to properly maintain a chain?
The chain will wear out quickly enough, especially if it is not periodically cleaned or lubricated. Here wear it lengthens. You can check the condition of the chain by lifting it over the sprocket teeth. The new chain is lifted by 1-2 mm. But the chain needs to be changed when the stretch increases to 7 mm. When replacing the chain, you will have to change the rear hub sprockets at the same time.
If the chain is covered with normal road dirt, it can be easily washed off with a hose stream. But if the dirt is mixed with oil, use a clean rag. Remove any dirt between the rear hub sprockets, wipe the carriage sprocket teeth. Next, spray solvent between the chain links and clean them with a toothbrush. Cleared the chain, contiguous it with oil.
In good weather, the chain should be dry and clean, and during rain and frost, it should be Lubricated abundantly. Experts recommend changing the chain more often because it costs less than cassettes and systems. And the new chain will extend the life of the entire system. In mountain bikes, it is better to replace it every 2000 km, in hybrids and mountain bikes. after 3000-6000 km.
- How to choose a kangaroo for your baby and carry your baby safely in it?
- What should be the composition of lipstick?
- Interesting facts about potatoes
WHY DO YOU NEED A SPEED SWITCH?
With the introduction of the derailleur, life for today’s cyclists is much easier. Many beginners think that if you ride only on city roads without mountains, hills, then changing the speeds is not at all necessary. Experienced cyclists will tell you that this is a misconception. As we often see beginners who, even on bicycles with derailleurs, DO NOT try to change speed and head upwind. This leaves the chain on the small driven gear and the large drive gear. Therefore, the great maneuvers like a sailboat, as a result, severe pain in the knees cannot be avoided. Knee Pain as a Natural and Expected Result in New Cyclists.
If you go against the wind, you need to lower the gear ratio a little to a ratio of 3 to 1 or 2 to 1. This will increase the speed, and less effort will be needed to apply the frame to pedaling. If the gears are small, you will have to pedal up to 90 rpm. It can be concluded that the gearshift kit will provide a comfortable ride NOT suspended from the riding conditions and will help preserve the cyclist’s health.
The speed selectors alter the transmission ratio, in simple terms, maintain the optimum speed with moderate effort. On modern bicycles with derailleurs, the number of THESE ratios (gears) can vary from three or even up to 33. In practice, of course, a much smaller, empirically selected number of gears is used for different types of bicycles. The most undemanding are city bikes, and XC and Road are on the opposite side of the scale, although the gear requirements are different.
- Material Aluminum
- MTB type
- Front derailleurs (25)
- Rear derailleurs (18)
- Switch Parts (15)
- Cannondale (1)
- Jagwire (7)
- Krex (1)
- SRAM (1)
- Shimano (33)
- Sun Race (1)
- Sunrace (8)
- Sunrun (2)
- XLC (4)
KINDS OF BIKE speed switch
First of all, the switch is front and rear. The rear derailer provides shifting gears that allow the chain, which is passed through the frame and rollers, to move seamlessly over the rear cassette or ratchet sprockets. A chain is thrown along the axial part of the cassette. To maintain the correct and constant spacing between the rear sprockets and the roller, you can also move the devices in the vertical plane.
The way the front derailleur works is completely different. On the steering wheel shifter, the speed mode is switched, respectively, the cable is either stretched or weakened. This will depend on the increase or decrease of the speed by which the switch responds. The frame will be fixed on the so-called parallelogram, which will move with the help of a cable. There is pressure on the chain, it can be on the inside or outside, so the chain collides on the required star. As the speed decreases during movement, the tension will also decrease, so the frame will begin to shift slightly to the side. This will move the chain to the smaller star. In the opposite case, when the speed increases, the cable will stretch, and the frame itself will begin to press on the chain, which, in turn, will rub against the protrusions located inside the stars and go to the largest sprocket.
There are also these types of bicycle derailleurs:
- External The most common bicycle mechanisms. They are installed on all types of bikes. If the classic gearshift system (3×8), then you need as many as 2 derailers: one for the rear stars, the second for the large ones. The chain just spreads over the stars. Such models are easy to maintain and configure, the cost is low, the weight is low.
- Built-in. These are derailleurs that look like a normal brake sleeve. Gears are switched by changing the gear ratio. The principle of operation is the same as a gearbox in a car. Fables that have such a switching mechanism, and are not afraid of an aggressive external environment. The system is well protected. Another important advantage is the ability to change gears in any order: from second to seventh, from eighth to first, and not depend on whether the bank is moving or not. But there is also a minus device. Great weight, high price. Also, such a switch cannot be repaired. Suitable for city bikes.
- Combined mix of the above types. It opens up new functions for the rider. You can not only change the gear ratio, but also the ratio itself inside the rear hub. It also becomes possible to choose rear sprockets of different diameters.
- If your budget allows, you often drive on rough roads and there is a need to switch a large number of speeds, then the combined model is an excellent option.
When all the bicycles had only one speed, there was no gear shifter yet, so the speed of movement on flat terrain depended only on the personal skills and physical fitness of the cyclist, and when riding in hilly or mountainous terrain, the rider tried, driving down the hill, to accelerate the bike to the maximum the next hill by inertia if the rise is not high. Otherwise, you had to drive while you can pedal, and then get off the bike and climb on foot, then sit down again and go down. All these manipulations are not necessary today, because there are gearshifts.
WHERE IS IT PROFITABLE TO BUY THE SPEED SWITCH?
You can buy bicycle parts with delivery in Ukraine directly on the website. After filling out the application, we will immediately call you back and the manager will explain in detail all your questions. The site section contains the most famous brands such as Shimano, SRAM, Sunrace, Cannondale, XLC and others. The products of THESE companies have earned the trust of millions of cyclists around the world. Many people prefer Shimano, considering such switches to be the standard. Gear shifting should be smooth, for this it is important to make all the settings correctly and adhere to the rules for choosing the speed while driving.
Causes of functional impairment of the rear derailleur
Moving on to the problem of how to install the rear derailleurs on a bicycle.
Before adjusting or adjusting the rear option, you need to assess its condition. There are several reasons for which a malfunction of this device will be detected. In this manual, we will not only describe the possible causes of the problem, but methods of their elimination.
- All dirt must be cleaned from all the switch and its parts.
- We estimate the degree of wear of the cable with its cleaning and lubrication.
- The chain must also be lubricated, having previously selected the necessary lubricant.
- Do not forget to clean and lubricate front and rear wheel cassettes.
The preliminary stage is over, go directly to the rear derailleur setting.
Speed selector setting process
How to correctly adjust the VELOBIKE front derailleur?
We will write this instruction in steps with a description of the necessary actions.
- On the switch Set the smallest speed option. It is better to tighten the cable tension adjustment until it stops.
- At the same time, the rear derailleur is set to the lowest speed. It turns out a chain on large sprockets in both versions.
- The limiters are set in such a mode to bring the frame (inner part) as close as possible to the chain.
- Now we insert the cable into the place of fixation and tighten it with a bolt.
- Set the gear to the big sprocket in front and the smallest one behind.
- The second limiter is adjusted to bring the outer part closer to the tenacious.
- We set alternately different speed options for both transfer. We twist the pedal, we carry out switching at all speeds. If everything is in order, then you need to go to the road for testing there.
In principle, there is no particular difficulty, only patience and attentiveness to the details of the process.
Installing the speed switch on the bike
Any human invention is NOT forever. This criterion also applies to a bicycle. But, if any element is broken, then it can be repaired or replaced. This article will discuss how to install speed shifters on a sporty bike. Moreover, the review will concern Not only the installation, but also the process of adjustment and tuning.
There are many reasons why such a part requires replacement or increased attention. It can be a breakage caused by a fall, a stretched cable, poor functionality of the entire device. In order not to take the bike to the workshop and not spend extra money, we provide the necessary action algorithms related to the problems described above. It is possible to solve such a question at home. Need a little patience and careful study of the instructions provided.
Competent installation of the front derailleur
So how do you set the front view of the derailleur correctly? Consider the algorithm of the necessary actions.
- We determine the correctness of the position. It should be such that the direction frames are parallel to the front sprockets. At the same time, the gap between the outer part of the frame and the Largest Star did NOT exceed two millimeters.
- The distance to the large sprocket is adjusted as the transfer moves. By bending the parallelogram, the frame and the largest sprocket are correlated exactly, achieving a minimum distance.
- Sometimes the manufacturer sets the necessary marks on the frame
- Now we determine the height and the point where the switch clamp will be fixed. We mark the place with a marker. We tighten the bolt.
- We adjust here in relation to the stars, by loosening the bolt on Thomas.
- Rotate the switch with the frame position parallel to the chainrings.
- We tighten the bolt on Foma and check the distance of the frame to the Largest star and their parallelism.
- Finally Fastening the Clamp.
Installation is complete, you can proceed to the next stage. setting.
Adjustment process and front derailleur settings
Before adjusting or installing the front derailleur, it is imperative to complete the preliminary step. Without it, the adjustment and setting of this switch will be impossible.
What we do at the initial stage.
- We check for compliance with the transfer under the sprocket system. It often happens that the purchased mechanism does not correspond to the stars of this particular model in its technical parameters. No tweak will help here. You only need a transfer from the original manufacturer.
- Checking for existing backlash is mandatory. In previous falls or collisions, the frame and the parallelogram formed backlash. The transmission will immediately become fuzzy and the setup will be problematic. Visually assess the condition and eliminate defects if possible.
- All elements of the switch must be cleaned of adhering dirt. It will definitely not give the opportunity to correctly tune the transmission. After that, lubricate the entire product.
- The next step in the preparation process will be the cable. We assess its condition after the dismantling process. If gaps are present, urgently need to be replaced. In another case, they are cleaned of dirt and lubricated. Putting it back in place is not necessary. This will happen during the setup process.
- We focus on the cleaning and lubrication process of the chain itself.
- We recommend that by this time already have a configured rear derailleur. This will make it easier to adjust the front mechanism.
After all the preliminary measures, you can start setting and adjusting the front derailleur. If the matter is much more difficult, then we begin to mount the new switch purchased in advance on the bike.
Main design features of the front crossover with the principle of action
In order to answer the question about the installation of speed switches, you first need to describe their design features.
Let’s start our analysis with the structure of the front version of this product.
- What is a clamp for? With its help, this object is fixed on the bike.
- Parallelogram. Element, in the form of a spring-loaded part with hinges. Geometrically reminiscent of a parallelogram. This is the basis for the front swap movement.
- Guide frame. Consists of two parts. Internal and external. The chain moves along the inside.
- Adjustment bolts. Presented as two limiters. Their task is to prevent the movement of the frame in the direction of the main frame or in the opposite direction.
- Bolt for fixing the cable. Its purpose is to provide a reliable fixation of the cable, which serves to organize gear shifting.
Front derailleur setting.
I briefly reviewed the design. Now we will describe the principle of operation of the product. As with any sports bike. the main task is to simply direct tenaciously to the selected sprocket.
Consider the process of switching from a larger star to a smaller one. This action weakens the cable tension and the spring begins to pull the parallelogram together with the direction frame a short distance to the frame. In this case, the outer part of the frame provides pressure on the chain, which leads to it jumping to the desired sprocket.
If it is necessary to jump to a large star from a small one, then the whole mechanism occurs in the reverse order.
The parallelogram, when reaching the extreme points, rests against the limiters, which DO NOT allow tenaciously jumping off onto the carriage.
Adjustment process and settings of the rear derailleur
The preliminary stage is behind, we begin the steps to configure the rear wheel switch.
- Position. largest star in front, smallest behind.
- Removes the bolt securing the cable and remove it.
- Adjust the tension of the cable by twisting.
- To prevent jumping off tenaciously Set the limiter to the desired mode. The goal is to achieve the correct ratio of the axles along the tensioner roller, the guide element and the smallest sprocket.
- The cable is pulled by hand and inserted into the prepared groove. We make fixation.
- Now transmission. We check the clarity by jumping the chain from a large star to a smaller one. The parameters of speed, clarity and silence are important here.
- We adjust the second stop. The shift rollers and the largest sprocket must be on the same line.
- The tensioner is tenaciously adjustable to achieve a clearance of five millimeters between the direction roller and the Largest sprocket.
- Now we are checking. First at home, pedaling. Then on the street.
If something does not satisfy the process, repeat again, more carefully.
All the described actions require only care, time and a little patience. In any case, performing such actions at home will be much cheaper than servicing. NOT to mention gaining invaluable experience.
How to install a rear derailleur on a bike?
Having clocked many kilometers on a bicycle, I made sure that a branded derailleur is much more important for a comfortable ride than stylish grips or leather Brooks. But it’s not enough just to buy Shimano or Sram, the quality of installation and setup is important.
Installing the speed switch on the bike. How to fix defects
The speed switch will work perfectly and the bike itself will be with a new (or not very old) cable, with absolutely intact shirt (and NOT dry!) AND NOT deformed (or in a small volume) stars and chain.
If the cable is just stretched, then you just need to pull it up. But if the cable breaks, then you cannot do without replacing this element. The process of replacing the cable is not difficult, the main thing is to strictly adhere to the recommendations of specialists:
- Unscrew the cable fixing screw, which is located for transfer;
- Pull the cable out of the shirts;
- If necessary, disassemble the shifter and pull the cable out of it;
- A new cable must be inserted into a special groove in the shifter, and it is the metal tip of the cable that must enter into the groove;
- Lubricate the entire cable with a special grease, it is not necessary to spare the consumable;
- The cable will pass through the shirts;
- On the frame there are special grooves in which shirts are tucked;
- At the front, fasten the cable with a screw.
In case of poor gear shifting, pay attention to the return spring. it must be clean and lubricated. To achieve this, you just need to rinse the spring under running water, dry it completely and lubricate it thoroughly.
If the rear derailleur frame is crooked, then this can only mean one thing. the cock is bent. If this is not critical, then you can correct the rooster with your hands. you need to take the rear switch in your hand, which is fixed on the rooster, and with the other hand hold the frame. Slowly pull out the problematic transmission element (rooster) until relatively level.
Note: this “repair” of the cock is a temporary solution to the problem of shifting gears. The fact is that the rooster is a consumable, which needs to be changed on time, and not constantly repaired / pulled.
In some cases, the bike owner Pays attention to the deformed rear derailleur (the front derailleur is extremely rarely damaged by impact). it can also be returned to its original position with the help of hands. But if the rear derailleur is deformed too much, then it is advisable to replace it.
Note: after performing specific manipulations to repair bent / deformed parts, do not use the bike for too long. this may end in a fall, another breakdown at the most inopportune moments. And in some cases, such carelessness can lead to a traffic accident.!
Replacing the derailleur on a bicycle: a sequence of actions
- The replacement process begins with removing the old mechanism from the frame. To do this, by opening the chain link, unscrew and remove the old switch.
- Further to the “cock”, which is a protruding triangle with a hole, securing a new mechanism. It should be screwed on well, but not too tight.
- Then we install the chain on the smallest star so that the roller and the star are visually located on the same line.
- Carefully slide the derailleur towards the largest sprocket without holding onto the roller, which is easy to bend. Thus, you will be insured against the risk of the chain hitting the spokes.
- Using the adjusting screw, fix the position of the switch so that it still remains opposite the large star. If the mechanism hits the star, then you can lose the spokes, too much clamping is fraught with failure of the lower gear.
- Moving on to the cable. normally it should move freely in the shirt. It is necessary to check the absence of creases and the course itself. To do this, install the chain on a small star, pull the cable and fix it in a taut position.
- We check the operation of the mechanism. First of all, turn the pedals. there should be no Clicks in the process, and the gearshift up and down should be smooth, without jumping over the stars and without delays. At first, it is better to take a screwdriver on a bike ride. under load, the mechanism may need to be adjusted.
Regardless of the mechanism of which company you choose, sooner or later you will have to face preventive maintenance. After all, the rollers are consumables and wear out as the bike is used, so from time to time it is necessary to carry out their preventive replacement.
Many people think the rear derailleur is much easier to set up than the front derailleur. In both cases, you will have to make some effort, but this work will pay off with interest in comfort while riding. If you do NOT want to waste time installing the derailleur. Contact us for a bike repair service.
Why is there a violation of gear shifting
To understand what action should be taken to adjust gear shifting, you need to understand what causes may lead to the problem in question. Experts identify several such predisposing factors:
- Rooster deformation;
- Stretching the rope;
- Deformation of the speed switch;
- Incorrectly working return spring.
How to adjust the speed switch on a bike
It often happens that either the speeds on the bike are NOT switched clearly, or some new transmission elements have been installed. In this case, you will need to adjust the speed switch and it is quite possible to do this work on your own, without contacting specialized workshops.
Installing the rear derailleur on a bicycle
Owners of an old bike, equipped with a switch of an unknown brand, always reach out to “bring it to mind.” Often, with a device assembled independently from spare parts of various brands, many problems arise: from the constant throwing of the chain over the star to the complete “sabotage” of the movement. Therefore, it is easier and cheaper to “get hold of” a new one, rather than trying to adjust and repair the rear derailleur on a bicycle, which is already hopelessly damaged.
For a bike that is used periodically and only on flat roads, putting an expensive derailleur of famous brands (Shimano, Sram and others) is impractical. However, if you are planning to ride the hills and slides, pay attention to mechanisms with a large range of speeds.
Adjusting the front derailleur of the bike. How to setup?
Adjustment, setting the front derailleur, it is NOT difficult if you do everything carefully and consistently, but first you need to adjust the rear derailleur, and then proceed to the front.
The whole process can be divided into three stages:
To set up we need:
1) Shaped screwdriver;
4) Key for 9 (in some cases, you need a 4-5 hexagon)
5) Cable and cable jacket (if yours are in poor condition);
The first stage is preparation.
First, check the cable and the jacket of the cable (for this, loosen the tension cable and remove it from the jacket), Make sure that the cable is NOT unraveled anywhere, the jacket of the cable is not “Zalomon “. If there are no kinks and unweaving, and the cable still moves tightly in the shirt, clean it from dirt, sand and Lubricate.
Next wash and clean the front derailleur, wipe and dry it well, and then fry all moving parts.
Screw the “lambs”, which is located on the gear shift coins, almost to the very end (leave a couple of turns for adjustment). At this stage of preparation is over.
The second step is setting up the front derailleur.
Position the derailleur so that, if you were looking at it from above, the derailleur frame is parallel to the chainrings. (To adjust the height and angle of the switch, loosen the clamping bolt)
In order to adjust the height, place the chain on a large sprocket, the gap between the frame and the large sprocket should be 2-3 mm. The smaller this gap, the better the switching
Next, you should adjust the “blockage of the chain” (so that the chain does not fall when switching to lower and higher gears)
If you look at the switch from above, you can see two adjusting screws H.High (high) and L.Low (low). these screws are responsible for adjusting the “chain blockage”.
Place the chain on a small sprocket in the front and a large one in the back.
Begin to rotate the L.Low screw (low) until the chain is as close to the inner plate as possible, but make sure that the chain does NOT hit the frame while pedaling. Next, pull the cable with pliers and tighten the cable securing screw.
Now you need to do the same with the H.High screw. We put the chain on the big star in the front and on the small back. Turn the screw H (High) until the chain is as close as possible to the outer plate, but so that when pedaling the chain does NOT touch the frame.
Now you should check how the switch works by rotating the pedals (put the bike on a stand or suspend the rear wheel), step by step change gears in both directions. If it does not switch well from large to small stars, it is necessary to loosen the cable by rotating the “lambs” on the coins, clockwise, and if it does not rise well from small to large, counterclockwise.
Stage three. checking the front derailleur.
After we have checked the operation of the switch on weight, you need to do it under load, sit on the bike and eat, changes gears. The front derailleur should work smoothly and clearly, the chain does not have to rub against the frame .
Installation and adjustment
Reference: The Shimano Tourney TX is the entry-level model, although the exterior design suggests a higher class.
Yes, and puts something more serious on an inexpensive bike, Used only for rides exclusively on asphalt. meaningless. But the range switched was important, since the city is replete with hills, mounds and attics.
So, replacing the rear derailleur starts with removing the old noname from the frame. it’s time for Shimano. The chain link is revealed. If there is such a comment, then you must use the squeeze.
The old switch is unscrewed and removed, and a new one is hung in its place and screwed to the “cock”. a protruding triangle with a hole in the frame. It is worth tightening well, but without undue enthusiasm.
We put the bike chain on the smallest star. Visually, the roller and the small star Must be in line. The small star is the highest speed, therefore we adjust the position of the roller with the screw H.
Help: the letter H is an abbreviation for high gear, that is, top gear.
The next step is to insure against the possibility of the chain hitting the spokes, which is likely if the derailleur goes behind the largest sprocket. To do this, you need to move the switch to the largest star, carefully and effortlessly. By no means on a roller, the fastening of which is very easy to bend.
The adjusting screw fixes the position of the switch exactly so that it is opposite the large star. The event for her is fraught with the loss of knitting needles and good mood. If the switch is too tight, there will be no lower gear.
Queue for the cable. it should walk freely in a shirt. We check the progress and the absence of creases. On this switch model, you can see the place for the cable to pass. We put the chain on the smallest sprocket, tighten the cable to remove the slack, Fix it. Thus, installing the rear derailleur and adjusting it are two integral and complementary processes.
Now check the operation of the entire mechanism. When pedaling from the rear derailleur side, there should be no pronounced clicking sounds. Switching up and down should be accurate, without skipping and delays. And even if everything fell into place, it works accurately, quietly and without delay. for the first trip it is worth taking a screwdriver with you. Working with a load may well require minor adjustments.
Note that you will have to face such a concept as “preventive maintenance of the switch”, regardless of its price category. As the rollers, which are consumables, wear out, their timely replacement will be required.
It is believed that installing and adjusting the rear derailleur is much easier than the front derailleur. However, you will have to spend time and effort, but this work will pay off handsomely during the trip.