Removing the chain without a lock with the introduction of a chain release
Here, everything is not so simple as in the previous case, although this is not very difficult.
In this case, a special tool helps, which is called chain squeezing (cycling). They are available as a standalone or as a bicycle multitool, which is much more convenient when traveling or at home.
To open the circuit with the master link and shorten it, you need to proceed according to the following instructions:
- Place the bike on a rack. In its absence. on any hard flat surface with wheels up.
- Thoroughly clean the chain from dust, dirt, grease residues using rags and kerosene (or another suitable agent).
- Find the closing link (“lock”). Manufacturers usually make the task much easier by making it slightly darker or lighter than others. Another distinctive feature is the presence of protruding rollers, fastened by an outer plate, and a large oval hole around 1-2 of them.
- Scroll the pedals, move the closing link between the gears. This greatly facilitates access to it.
- Open the bike chain master link. Structurally, this can be done in different ways, so you need to read the instructions in advance. Most often, the roller is removed by pivoting or opening the bend link. Less often it is disposable, then you need to remove the element, for example, needle-nose pliers.
- Determine how many links need to be removed. It’s better to clean less than overdo it. Installing them back is problematic for beginners.
- Using a clamp or a squeeze clamping mechanism, fix the next link from the end of the chain from which the closing.
- Place the squeeze pin exactly over the roller of this link. Start squeezing it out by smoothly turning the handle clockwise. It cannot be completely removed, otherwise it will be almost impossible to assemble the chain later. The roller should appear on the outside but still be firmly seated within the link.
- Repeat with the second roller, completely disassembling this link. Remove the outer plate, giving access to the central part, where the next is fixed. Continue until the required number of links is removed. Before you shorten the chain of a speed bike, you need to make sure that after removal, there are different types of links at the ends. The narrow one is inserted between the “ears” of the wide one. To disassemble a bicycle chain without a lock, you can start from any link.
- Assemble the shortened chain, put a “lock” on both ends. It is more convenient to do this with pliers and a screwdriver. Align them so that you can snap the rollers. If the closing link is disposable, a new one must be purchased in advance.
- Install both links into the outer slot on the squeeze so that the rollers “look” towards its pin. Rotate the knob counterclockwise until the head appears on the opposite side. The length of the protruding parts of both rollers must be the same.
- Loosen the chain slightly, install the link in the inner slot of the squeeze and press its pin against the roller. The handle is turned about a quarter of a turn.
- Apply a thin, even layer of lubricant to the chain.
In order to connect a chain of certain brands, such as Shimano and Campagnolo, after shortening, special rollers are required for its assembly. In their absence, it makes no sense to start the procedure. it will still NOT work to assemble the links into the chain again.
Place the bike on a rack, and if there is no rack, on any hard, flat surface with the wheels up
Thoroughly clean the chain from dust, dirt, grease residues using rags and kerosene (or another suitable agent)
Find the master link (“lock”)
Scroll the pedals, move the closing link between the gears to facilitate access to it
Open the master link following the instructions
Determine how many links need to be removed
Use a clamp or a special mechanism to fix the next link from the end of the chain from where the closing
Place the squeeze pin exactly over the roller of this link and squeeze it out by smoothly turning the knob clockwise
Repeat the action for the second roller, completely disassembling this link
Using pliers and a screwdriver, assemble the shortened chain, put a “lock” on both ends
Install both links in the outer slot on the squeeze so that the rollers “look” towards its pin
Slightly loosened the chain, install the link in the inner slot of the squeeze and press its pin against the roller
Apply a thin layer of lubricant to the chain
How to properly shorten a bike chain with and without squeeze
Many people are fond of cycling at the amateur level. But a suddenly sagging chain can seriously ruin the pleasure of a walk. To prevent this from happening, you need to properly care for the vehicle, as well as find out in a timely manner how to shorten the chain on a bicycle and purchase all the tools you need for this. The work can be done independently, following the recommendations of specialists.
Squeeze for the chain and how to remove the chain without squeezing
What could be better than a day spent cycling in the countryside! However, pleasure can be overshadowed by unexpected circuit breakage. If domestic bicycles mostly consist of split sections of the chain, the locks between which can be easily divided, then in sports bikes the chains are often one-piece. About how the chain is removed, and what devices there are for this, we will talk today.
Types of chains
There are two types of chains:
In the first case, the link is different from the rest. It has a hole like a lock. This type of chain is easy to remove, however, as well as to put on.
Continuous chain. speaks for itself. It has no lock. She has all the links the same and tools will be needed to open such a chain. Which ones, I will tell below.
DIY bike chain squeeze
B Removing the bicycle chain without squeezing. Without special device
In order not to have to think about how the bicycle chain opens without special devices, it is strongly recommended to take the necessary tool with you, even on short trips. Attempts to disassemble the chain without squeezing are always the risk of bending or jamming the links without the possibility of their subsequent restoration. But when the second exit comments, you can try to disengage it, proceeding like this (the method is suitable for bicycle chains without a lock, and in the presence of a closing link):
- A suitable pin (nail, drill, dowel, awl) with a thickness slightly less than the link roller will deliver to the Pin (in its absence. to any link).
- Place a nut, washer, or something else similar under the chain and inside the link. This is an object that plays the role of “amplifier” will not let the links jam.
- With a hammer, stone, other object at hand, carefully hit the pin, trying to knock out the connection. The key to success is measured and accurate manipulation.
You must first practice on a link that is not being used. This will help you acquire the necessary skill. In any case, you will have to remove the chain from the bike. you need a solid support to work. In “field” conditions, it can be a flat stone, brick.
If you study the design features of the bicycle model in advance and purchase all the necessary tools, problems with shortening the chain, as a rule, do not arise. The situation is worse when you have to use improvised means. this is a real risk of seriously damaging the mechanism. No one is insured for breakdowns on the way, so it’s better to carry with him everything that may be required for emergency repairs.
Putting a nut under the chain and inside the link, carefully hit the pin with a hammer, trying to knock out the connection.
5 ways to remove the bike chain
Most often, the chain is removed from the bicycle: either to be repaired, or replaced, or cleaned to “shine”. In this article I will talk about what tools are needed and whether it is possible to remove the chain without special equipment.
Instructions for self-replacement of the squeeze chain
Removing the chain by squeezing.
Usually, an auxiliary tool is used to remove the chain from the bike. a squeeze. With its help, it is easy to remove even one-piece chain. The sequence of work is as follows:
- Decide on the section of the chain for parsing. In case of re-disassembling the chain, it is preferable to take the non-repairable section of the chain.
- Insert the chain into the squeeze so that the pin is opposite the clamping wasp.
- Secure the chain with the knurled screw.
- Turns the handle. Pushing the pin out.
- Remove unnecessary links using a squeeze, pressing out the entire pin.
- Connect the chain links. In this case, the pin, which is in the cheek, should point outward towards you. First you need to run the chain through the rear and front derailleurs. Then he will put the chain links one on top of the other so that the pin coincides with the bushing.
- Opening the “cheeks” with pliers. After the ends of the chain are in place, the outward-facing pin will prevent the links from separating.
- Insert the squeezes into the link so that the wasps of the pin and the stem match perfectly, and rotate the funnels, pressing the pin into the hole.
- Check the symmetry of the position of the pin and the “cheeks” of the links. Correct their position, if necessary.
- Check the links for mobility of each other. Increase the mobility of the pliers if necessary.
Squeeze for the chain and how to remove the chain without squeezing
What could be better than a day spent cycling in the countryside! However, pleasure can be overshadowed by unexpected circuit breakage. If domestic bicycles for the most part consist of split sections of the chain, the locks between which can be divided without much difficulty, then in sports bikes the chains are often one-piece. About how the chain is removed, and what devices there are for this, we will talk today.
The sequence of actions for removing the chain from a bicycle without squeezing with your own hands
Squeeze is a useful tool. However, it is not always at hand. What then is to be done? The prospect of staying with a non-working bike in the middle of pristine nature, somewhere many kilometers from the city, does NOT look attractive. You can remove the chain from the bike without squeezing. It will not be easy to do it yourself, but it is quite possible. Let’s consider in detail the options for parsing the chain with and without a lock.
When is the chain removed from the bike??
Seasoned cyclists remove the chain regularly. For example, in the case when the replacement of the system or only the cassette entailed a change in the number of teeth, the chain will have to be shortened by removing the teeth, or lengthened, adding additional ones. In addition, the chain is removed in order to:
- Boil in grease;
- Replace (if repair is no longer possible).
Model with lock
How to check if a chain has a lock? Easy peasy! A quick inspection to see if the chain has a link that is different from the adjacent one. This is the castle. You can disconnect it by sliding the pins on each of the links with your hands or pliers. To assemble the chain, you need to do the same in reverse order.
Model without lock
In this case, it will not be easy without squeezing. And the result will be unpredictable. But, if there are other options, choose the lesser of 2 evils. So, we remove the chain without a lock from the bike with improvised means in this order.
- Screw ordinary pressure to the table.
- Fix the chain in a vise by placing a nut on one side, the hole of which corresponds to the pin.
- Stick on the other side with a small screw with a cap.
- Pinch pressures, push a pin ball into the nut hole.
Summing up, we can confidently say that squeezing is an irreplaceable thing on the road for every cyclist. And if a broken chain with a lock can still be removed from a bicycle without this device, then, as for a chain without a lock, it will be difficult to do without it. However, in case of form major circumstances, you can use the instructions above.
How to remove a chain lock using a rope
How to remove a lock from a bicycle chain. When to shoot
Failure of the chain assembly of a bicycle with speeds can be recognized even before serious problems arise. For this it is necessary to estimate the number of kilometers covered. The following factors also affect the condition of the part:
- Correct selection of a suitable gear;
- Pedal loads;
- The quality of road surfaces;
- Cycling speed.
The first signs of a malfunction are unusual sounds, provided that the lubrication was made on time, as well as the occurrence of difficulties when changing gears. To assess the condition of the chain, bend it away from the large sprocket. If a part comes loose from 3 or more teeth, it is urgent to replace it. You will have to remove the element for other reasons:
- Full cleaning, it is necessary to carry out systematic cleaning to remove accumulated abrasive and grease;
- Mechanical damage, replacement of broken links;
- Change in blade length with new mountain bike sprocket combinations;
- Replacing a failed element.
Any bike chain will wear out over time. You can determine the degree of damage by the condition of the canvas. If it is stretched, the displacement of the cells will cause serious damage to the sprockets. It is quite difficult to detect wear by eye, so it is better to measure the length of the part. Standard indicator. 24 links.
There is an informative method for determining the level of wear. The bike chain must be removed and measured. 30.5 cm. ideal, 30.6-30.8 cm. medium, more than 30.8 cm. damage to links, sprocket and the entire transmission.
A chain malfunction is indicated by unusual sounds, provided that the lubrication was made on time, as well as the occurrence of difficulties when changing gears
Stretched chain bar and misaligned meshes cause serious sprocket damage
To assess the condition of the chain, it is necessary to bend it away from the large sprocket: urgent replacement is required if the part freely moves away from 3 or more teeth
Is it possible to remove the bike chain without squeezing?
Of course you can. Comments for our person is NOT possible. In our distant childhood, when there weren’t all THESE devices and tools, in order to remove the chain or link from the bicycle chain, we used an ordinary hammer and a thin bolt or nail.
The chain was put on a nut or so that it would be in a narrow gap between the stones on the curb (so that it had where to squeeze out), put the nail to the axis and, slowly tap on it with a hammer or just a second stone, knock out the pin. The main thing was NOT to knock out the pin completely. The chain was also assembled back.
Soviet single-speed chains have withstood this treatment, but are unlikely to withstand modern multi-speed chains. They are too gentle for that. You can simply bend the chain link. So you better use a chain wringer for all THESE jobs.
We will now consider how to use the chain squeeze.
First, we select the link that we will disassemble. If the chain is being disassembled for the first time, it can be any link, but it is better to look for the link with which the chain was assembled at the factory when assembling the bicycle. Usually this pin stands out from the rest. If the chain has already been disassembled in this way, then it is better to choose a different link, and not what was the last time. This is due to the fact that the squeeze loosens the pin a little.
Next, the selected link must be placed in the squeeze so that the pin is right in front of the release axle.
Now just slowly steep the handle, squeezing out the pin. And here is the most important thing: constantly check that the pin does NOT pop out completely. If it pops up, it is very difficult to insert it back (even using all the possibilities of the large and powerful Russian language).
Another small point: be careful not to lose the from the link in which you squeezed out the pin. Otherwise, there will be problems later.
After washing and lubricating, the chain is assembled in the reverse order. You connect the links, insert the pin, do not forget about the roller, and press the pin back with the squeeze screw.
Some chains are removed by hand altogether. How this is done is shown in this.
How to remove a chain using a chain pull. Without squeeze lock
A squeeze will help to perform the procedure correctly, which consists of a metal base and a twisting bolt. Sometimes this tool is included with a set of hexagons. Experts recommend taking it with you on the road. The chain without a lock is removed in accordance with the annotation:
- First of all, one or more links are selected for opening;
- The cells are placed on the tool so that the pin is located directly in front of the release axis of the device;
- With careful movements, the screw is unscrewed, pulled in the direction towards itself;
- Here they put it in place by clamping the links and returning the original position of the pin.
Removing the chain from a bike without a lock is difficult. If the pin is Squeezed out to the end, you will not be able to insert it back yourself. The mechanism is NOT disassembled without Special tools, therefore it is NOT popular with cycling enthusiasts.
If you have to disassemble a chain on a bicycle many times, you must select a different link each time. Extruding the same pin will reduce the strength of the blade.