Installing the rear wheel
To carry out the installation correctly, assemble everything in place should be clearly in the reverse order.
- Place the chain on the smallest sprocket, insert the wheel onto the frame mount. In this case, it is important to make sure that the axle is fully inserted into the grooves of the frame.
- We fasten the nuts or eccentrics, they should be tightened well so that the wheel firmly sits on the frame.
- Fasten rim brakes if fitted. Return to the previous position in exactly the opposite order, otherwise the next trip may not end very well.
After the installation process, it is advisable to check the correctness of the actions performed by means of a short test drive to see how your bike will behave on the road after the updates.
Maintenance and diagnostics of the rear wheel is a mandatory procedure to maintain the health of the mechanisms.
How to remove and reinstall the front wheel of a bicycle. The sequence of dismantling and installing the front wheel.
How to choose a wheel motor for an e-bike. What factors to pay attention to when choosing. Advantages and disadvantages of varieties of motor-wheel motors.
Removing the wheels from the frame is part of a mandatory bicycle maintenance procedure. Sooner or later, the wheel of even the most advanced bike will present surprises in the form of deformation of the rim, damage to the spokes, a burst tube or even the entire tire, as well as wear of the sprocket system for the rear wheel.
Experienced cyclists welcome self-repairing wheels, and it is no coincidence: it’s cheaper, and you will gain skills. You can also go to a good workshop, where the problem will be solved, perhaps faster, but not free of charge. over, the service is hardly located under the windows of the house, so the bike will have to be dragged, which is not very pleasant. To avoid this, it is better to tinker a little yourself, especially since there is nothing complicated about the wheels. Today we’ll talk about how to remove the rear wheel from the bike, repair it and assemble it correctly.
To get started, make your work environment comfortable: flip the bike over on the handlebars and position it so that you have free access to the wheels from different sides. And here we also remember about the brakes. If your brake is hydraulic, then these models absolutely do not like being held upside down. And in case of replacing the rear wheel, the brake should be pumped so that no air would get into it. Do not ignore this moment, despite its laboriousness, if you want your brakes to remain as reliable.
There are various types of wheel attachment to the axle. If it is on nuts, then your actions are not difficult and understandable. If the option is an eccentric, then you should not be intimidated by complex names. The process is pretty straightforward. Move the chain to a smaller sprocket. On the left side of the hub is a lever that controls the eccentric clamp. Unscrew this lever by rotating it counterclockwise 180 degrees, but do not rotate around the hub axis. There is a special nut on the right side of the sleeve, which should be unscrewed a few turns.
How to remove a rear wheel from a mountain bike
How to remove the rear wheel and sprockets from a speed bike with disc brakes?
How To Remove Install Replace the Rear Wheel On a Bicycle
The bicycle is the most popular and convenient means of transportation. It is convenient and comfortable to travel on it both in the city and off-road. High-speed bicycles provide a lot of opportunities to feel comfortable even on a rather problematic road. But in order for your pet to continue to delight you further, he needs appropriate care, and the owner’s ability to cope with unforeseen circumstances will also come in handy.
First, remove all unnecessary items from the bike that may be on it. And it is also better to unscrew all kinds of mirrors, flashlights and other little things that can be damaged during work.
- We turn the bike upside down, put it on the handlebar and seat. You can do without a special rack for repairing a bicycle, the main thing is to give it a stable position.
- We find out the type of brakes installed for further action. As usual, these are disc or rim brakes:
- disc brake. It will be easier to remove the wheel with it;
- The rim brake of the V-brake type must first be released and removed, otherwise further dismantling of the wheel will no longer be possible. (It is not difficult to release the brakes, for this you need to move the cable to the side of the fastening screw, move the levers, removing the end of the cable from the clamp, lower it down and spread the brake levers to the sides).
- Then we act depending on the type of fastening of the rear wheel to the bicycle axle. We unscrew the nuts with a wrench (one or two) or, if the mount is a disc eccentric, unscrew the brake lever and twist the wheel.
- The chain passing through the gearshift system is neatly removed from the sprockets.
The wheel is removed. Now you can carry out all the necessary further manipulations: replacement, adjustment, lubrication of parts.
Replacing the bike camera
To remove the tire and remove the damaged chamber, it is necessary to remove the remaining air: the cap is unscrewed and the wheel is lowered by continuous pressing on the nipple. If there is no air in the tire, which is more often the case with punctures, then simply unscrew the cap.
To remove the tire, you need special paddles. Of course, you can pry the camera with a regular screwdriver and even a knife, but it is better to have a professional tool. With the help of assemblies, the tire is pushed on from the side opposite to the nipple. As soon as it starts to pull together, you need to pry the sides a little further, until a sufficiently free part of the tire is formed, and it can be safely pulled off the rim.
You need to tighten it very carefully so as not to damage the rim, you should not use too much force. When the tire is removed, remove the damaged camera and install a new one. The nipple is threaded into the hole in the rim, then the chamber is evenly distributed around the circumference.
Attention! The camera must lie flat, without kinks, otherwise you will have to reinstall it. There must be a flipper at the bottom of the rim to protect it from the spokes. If it is torn, you need to install a new one or get by with two layers of thin electrical tape.
On top of the rim, the outer part of the tire is put on, this time, from the side of the nipple. When installing a tire, take into account the correct direction of the tread pattern. Usually, arrows are drawn on the tires, and in the upside down state of the bike, the forward direction is backward in the lower position. However, the rear wheel of a speed mountain bike is easy to go wrong, thanks to the cassette on the side. After mounting, the camera is inflated.
Dealing with the problem
Removing the wheel from the bike may be necessary in various cases. For example, you have a puncture or your tires need to be replaced due to high levels of wear. But you never know what can happen. Someone will say that some kind of puncture does not require large-scale work. There may not be large-scale ones, but they are performed with knowledge of the matter. The quality of your work will determine how well you can continue to ride. And there is something to think about. Modern high-speed bicycles are produced by various companies and often with their own characteristics. It is on them that you need to pay attention.
For example, first you need to understand what kind of brake system is on the rear wheel of your bike. It is with him that all your work will begin. If you are a disc brake owner, then you shouldn’t have any problems. If the rim, then your actions will require a little more effort. If you forget about this kind of brake and do not release it, then you will never be able to remove the wheel, no matter how hard you try. So, we have decided on the brake, now we go directly to the process of removing the wheel.
The main components of the wheel
A standard bicycle wheel consists of several main parts:
- bushing. the central part, due to which the torque is provided. The interior of the rear hub is slightly more complex than the front. Not every bushing can be disassembled at home, some variations without special equipment and knowledge are better left untouched. And also brakes can be attached to this part;
- spokes connecting the hub to the rim;
- the rim on which the tire is mounted;
So, if the rear wheel of a bicycle needs to be repaired, or if it’s just time to service the spare parts, it is necessary to clarify the procedure to be followed when removing the wheel.
Removing the sleeve
We remove the cassette with stars using a special puller, a key and a whip. First, we insert the puller into the nut, then insert the key into it, put on the whip on the large asterisk, hold the asterisks with it, and unscrew the nut. Now that the nut is unscrewed, you can easily reach the cassette with stars.
Before disassembling the sleeve, the tension on the spokes should be loosened so that it can easily be pulled out of the engagement. When parsing this part, it is better to decompose all of its components in order, so that later you can precisely put everything in place. If necessary, you can replace the bearings, which, unlike metal components, are the first to fail. Timely service of the bushing will ensure its long service life, so do not neglect cleaning and lubricating the mechanism parts.
In the reverse order, the knitting needles are tightened exactly as far as they have been loosened, it is important not to overtighten them, but the parts must be firmly fixed. The cassette is put on the sleeve and tightened with a whip.
After all the procedures performed, due to which the dismantling of the wheel and its parts took place, you need to know how to assemble the rear wheel of the bike back.
Solving problems with rear ratchet
The rear ratchet could have affected the appearance of pedaling:
- For this, the rear wheel is disassembled and the ratchet is inspected.
- If it is overfilled with old oil or it is absent, corrosion has appeared, then the structure must be cleaned.
- After that, dry and grease everything with a thick silicone-based oil.
- If the ratchet is deformed or broken, replace it with a new one.
How to eliminate scrolling on a simple bike
Rear Bicycle Ratchet Problems
Scrolled on a racing bike
Cranking on a speed bike is often caused by a rear wheel defect found on many modern models. It can be more difficult to fix the working mechanism on a high-speed bike than on a simple bike, since the chains on the first are more whimsical than on the second, and require work with a large number of links.
Why pedals on a bicycle?
Many cyclists face this problem. The mechanism that makes the bike move is called the crank-pedal assembly.
When a breakdown occurs, this group is checked first. For a full assessment of the degree of damage, it is necessary to disassemble the structure. After disassembly, you should determine the reason for the breakdown.
This could be influenced by several factors:
- The chain of the bike was very stretched and subsequently deformed and now does not transfer movement to the rear sprockets. As a result, there is no movement, and the pedals move to idle.
- The sprocket is worn so much that it does not transfer inertia to the wheel.
- Critical damage to the rear wheel hub.
How To Remove The Rear Wheel On Your Mountain Bike | Basic MTB Maintenance
How to eliminate scrolling on a bike?
When spinning occurs on the bike, damage to one element may be permanent and should only be replaced.
Before determining what exactly the breakdown has occurred, you need to:
- Unscrew the rear wheel, and then dismantle the transmission.
- Take off the chain and sprocket.
- Remove the rear wheel hub.
- After that, you can proceed to inspect and identify a breakdown.
When checking the connecting rod-pedal assembly, first of all, pay attention to:
- Rear wheel hub (a very common problem on high-speed and road bikes, where, with constant use of this element, wear and tear occurs as a result of breakdown).
- Bicycle chain (stretched or dirty).
- Front sprockets (teeth worn out).
- Ratchet in sprockets (teeth worn out).
Scrolling on a road bike
To find out why the pedals on a road bike spin, you need to pay attention to the features of its structure. Road bikes and any foot-operated bicycles are particularly prone to bushing wear. Over time, its components stop clinging to each other, and the mechanism of operation goes wrong. The wheel rotates at idle, as the pedal scrolls the stars, not the wheels.
Bicycle rear hub malfunctions
The most common failure of a bicycle rear hub, which can lead to the need to repair the rear wheel of a bicycle, is an arbitrary tightening or loosening of the cone. If the cone of the rear hub is loosened, there will be a large amount of play in the wheel. Alternatively, if the cone is overtightened, the severity of the bike’s travel increases noticeably and the crunch of bearings can be heard. In both cases, it is necessary to immediately repair the rear hub of the bike. To eliminate these malfunctions, it is necessary to remove the rear wheel from the bike, if it is a sports high-speed or mountain bike, then an eccentric clamp can be used on them, and the wheel in this case is removed without using additional keys. On entry-level bicycles, the wheel can be screwed in with two nuts, you need a couple of keys.
Eccentric locking rear hub.
Bicycle rear hub repair: causes of breakage, bicycle rear wheel repair.
To eliminate the backlash or, on the contrary, tighten the cone, we need a pair of keys, usually a 15 mm open-end cone wrench, and a 17 mm open-end cone wrench. First we need to loosen the locknut, then loosen or tighten the flare nut to the desired value, ideally there should be no backlash, then tighten the locknut again.
With a normally adjusted cone, the wheel should turn easily under the weight of the reflector or nipple.
There is a moment when the axle of the hub of a bicycle wheel breaks or bends, most often this is due to poor quality parts. In such cases, it is necessary to completely replace the hub axle with a new one of a higher quality. When replacing the axle of the hub, or when you need to do maintenance or repair the rear hub of the bicycle, for convenience, you can remove the ratchet, if you just need to tighten or loosen the cone, you can do without this action.
Curved rear wheel hub axle.
In order for breakdowns to occur less often, it is necessary to do periodic maintenance, mainly this is the adjustment of the cone as well as washing, cleaning parts and lubricating the bearings, sometimes replacing bearings, seals or washers.
Rear vlulka maintenance. disassembly, maintenance and assembly
Repairing a bicycle rear hub can be expensive if it is rarely serviced and supervised.
For example, it happens that the bearings “eat away” in the housing of the rear bushing of the hole, possibly due to axle curvature or lack of lubrication. In this situation, the repair of the rear wheel of a bicycle consists in a complete replacement of the hub body or even the wheel itself. Therefore, to prevent this from happening, it is necessary to inspect your two-wheeled horse before each long-distance bike ride, and troubleshoot during.
Disassembling a wheel
In order to get to the punctured chamber, you need to disassemble and remove the tire from the wheel rim. Disassembling a wheel takes some skill, so be prepared for something that may not work the first time. Here’s how to do it:
Put the removed wheel on the ground with the stars up (so as not to collect sand in them).
2. Remove the nipple cap.
3. Take the bead blade, hook it over the edge of the tire and turn it inside the wheel (see photo).
4. Having fixed the first shoulder blade with your hand or even your foot, take the second shoulder blade and, in the same way, moving in a circle, disassemble the entire tire.
Once the tire is disassembled, it is easy to remove it from the wheel and pull out the tube.
How to remove the rear wheel of a bike
If you have rim brakes, you should first release them. This is done simply: with one hand, bring together the levers on which the brake pads are attached, and with the other, lift the metal cable retainer (see photo).
2. Flip the bike upside down with the wheels, placing it on the handlebars and saddle. If you have a headlight or a bike computer on your steering wheel, be careful not to damage them.
3. Unscrew the wheel eccentric holding it in the grooves on the frame.
4. Stand behind the bike, slightly extend the rear derailleur lever with your left hand, and lift the wheel with your right hand, it will easily slide up.
5. With your left hand, remove the chain from the rear sprockets. The wheel is removed.
Bicycle wheel repair
Let’s make a reservation right away that in this article we will not consider the elimination of eights on wheels or the repair of bushings. These operations must be carried out by a person with sufficient experience and with the appropriate tools. We will teach you how to fix wheel punctures, from which, alas, no cyclist is insured.
Before you start repairing a wheel, you must remove it from the frame. While beginners usually do not have difficulties with the front wheel, the rear one can become a problem. Let’s dwell on the procedure for removing the rear wheel in more detail.
Sticking the camera
First you need to find the puncture site of the camera. To do this, pump up the camera and inspect it carefully. You will find the puncture site by the characteristic hiss of the escaping air. Remember the puncture site.
2. Bleed the air from the chamber by pressing the tab on the nipple.
3. Take a piece of fine sandpaper from your repair kit and rub the puncture site well.
4. Apply a thin layer of glue. Calculate so that the area covered with glue is slightly larger than the area of the patch.
5. After a minute or two, glue the patch, after removing the protective layer from its sticky side (this can be thin paper, foil or cellophane). Make sure that the patch lies flat and there are no air bubbles under it.
6. Try to press the patch firmly against the camera for at least thirty seconds.
After the tube is sealed, take the tire and try to find the puncture site on it. Very often a piece of glass or a tree thorn gets stuck in the tire and after a few kilometers they pierce the tube again. Try not to forget about it.
After ten to fifteen minutes, you can fill the tube into the tire, flank it, inflate the wheel and install it on the bike. All operations are carried out in reverse order.
Continuing the topic: we recommend reading our article “How to properly inflate a bicycle wheel?”.