Threadless column is the de facto standard for modern mountain bikes (you can read more about the steering column here). The mechanism here is somewhat more complicated and heavier, and the steering wheel is attached to the pipe with the help of an additional element. the stem. With threaded mechanisms, all these three components are a single whole, which is the reason for less weight and greater reliability. In this case, the height is not set by the position of the pipe, but by the addition of special spacer rings on the pipe freed from removal.
Actually, the change is made as follows:
- Unscrew the anchor bolt with a hexagon (“cover” on the top of the pipe).
- We unscrew the stem tightening bolts, with which it is attached to the steering tube.
- Gently trying to remove the steering wheel along with the stem.
- Add spacer rings to the pipe (or remove them to reduce the total length of the structure).
- Installing the takeaway back.
- We tighten the tightening bolts first, then the anchor. The main thing is not to tighten the steering wheel too much, this can damage the parts.
The direction of the stem (and therefore the handlebars) should be carefully adjusted and aligned with the front wheel, as it is very easy to move the structure during operations. To correct the direction, it is enough to slightly loosen the bolts that hold the stem, and, having set the correct direction, tighten them.
Tilt angle and extension
In addition to the height, the rudder can be adjusted according to other parameters. This primarily applies to threadless speakers, as they are designed for modular change and fine tuning. Threaded options are almost always solid and are not adapted to adjustments additional to the height.
How To Tighten Your Headset | Road Bike Maintenance
The angle of inclination can be easily changed using the hexagon. By loosening the bolts on the stem, the rudder tube can be “scrolled” to the desired position. This is especially often required when working with raised and complex tourist rudders, since the position of the hands can be changed for each condition.
A separate issue is takeaway. Actually, in a process such as adjustment, it is a key element for threadless steering wheel assembly. Offsets are very different:
- vertical to increase the height;
- horizontal to compensate for the length of the frame;
- corner for convenient installation of additional gadgets and auxiliary accessories.
The only thing to remember is that stems come in various types and sizes and may not match the accessories you have.
Next, we’ll show you how to raise or lower the steering wheel by changing the position of the steering column. However, auxiliary methods of increasing and decreasing the height are also possible:
- Sharp stem will help raise the handlebars.
- On a BMX bike, many of the handlebars are quite high on their own. the head tube increases the height of the grip point.
However, most often refer to the simple and provided on almost all bike models. Before starting it, you should pay attention to what type of steering column you have on your bike. The whole process of work depends on it.
How to adjust the handlebars on a bike
In fact, head tube height and direction play a significant role in riding comfort and energy efficiency. So, a high handlebar is usually chosen for recreational riding, and low models. for sports purposes. both on high-speed bicycles and trial bikes.
Direction of adjustment
In what directions is the steering wheel adjusted? First of all, it is the height of the steering wheel. It determines the angle at which the cyclist’s body and arms will be while riding. In turn, the tension of various muscle groups, the speed of their fatigue and, accordingly, the general state of the athlete’s body depend on the angle of inclination.
As already mentioned, the rudders are often raised when riding “for rest” and lowered to reduce wind resistance in speed races. In addition, the low simple role is the most reliable in the case of sports disciplines BMX, Trial, Downhill and the like. Actually, the handlebar height parameter is selected individually, depending on the riding style.
The “zero” position for adjustment selects the level of the bicycle saddle. The handlebars are considered high if they are above the saddle, and low. lower. Of course, all such measurements are very arbitrary, and several iterations and changes are required for the height configuration to be ideal.
The type of threaded mount is found on specialized professional bicycles, as it has less weight compared to a threadless mount, but it is most often seen on bicycles of the lower price segment and old Soviet models.
In this case, the head tube is placed inside the column and tightened with nuts, connecting to the steering gear. Everything is simple and reliable, however, it can be a little dirty. the lower part of the pipe usually collects lubricant from the mechanism.
So, the steps to change the height of the steering wheel in steps:
- We loosen the fastening nut (it “covers” the steering tube at the very bottom, above the frame).
- If necessary, do the same with the steering tube lock nut.
- We raise the pipe to the desired height. An extension cord may be needed to raise the bar higher than usual.
- We tighten the fastening nut first, and then the lock nut.
How To Adjust A Bike Stem & Handle Bars
The deed is done, it was not so difficult to fix the steering wheel!
Adjusting the handlebars of a bicycle is a simple operation that allows you to dramatically increase riding comfort, and with your own hands, without resorting to mechanics or “professional friends”, bring your own bike to mind. The correct handlebar height, tilt and other characteristics, no doubt, should be selected according to the rider’s own experience and comfort.
How to raise the handlebars on a bicycle: tips for cycling enthusiasts
When setting up a bike, it is important to pay attention to all components without exception. But the steering wheel adjustment plays a special role. How well the handlebars are raised in relation to the proportions of your body determines how comfortable the ride will be, and most importantly, whether you can maintain the correct posture while cycling. Do not forget about your own safety, because the wrong steering wheel height can lead to accidents on the road. Therefore, this issue should be treated very responsibly and seriously. This article will guide you through the basic secrets of adjusting your bicycle handlebar correctly.
The minimum set of necessary tools
When purchasing a bike for yourself or a child, you should initially be prepared for the fact that you will have to carry out some technical adjustments, and you cannot do without special tools. Therefore, immediately after buying a bike, stock up on a special set that will come in handy in servicing your two-wheeled friend. It must necessarily include:
- Hex keys
- Tension limiters
- Standard adjustable wrench
- Wrenches with a star-shaped head
Modern tool kits have convenient packaging. a case that is compact enough, making it convenient to store it in a pantry, garage or other specially designated place.
It should be noted that different models of bikes have their own specifics of lifting the handlebars, which we invite you to get acquainted with. For example, if we are talking about a mountain bike, the handlebars must be flush with the saddle. And when going for a ride on a high-speed bike, it is advisable to place the handlebars slightly higher than the seat. The fact is that the height of the handlebars directly depends on the type of your ride and the manipulations that you plan to carry out while driving the bike. Therefore, before adjusting the handlebars, clearly determine how you plan to ride your bike.
If we are talking about standard walking riding, then here, too, many nuances should be taken into account, one of which is the age of the person who will operate the bike. The fact is that older people must comply with a landing angle of up to 90 degrees, and for young people, parameters of 50-60 degrees are suitable.
Of course, children’s models also have their own steering wheel adjustment features. First of all, the adjustment of the handlebars on a children’s bike is aimed at making the baby’s ride as comfortable and safe as possible. The child should not slouch, because this is fraught with problems with posture. If your toddler is constantly leaning towards the handlebars while getting on the bike, you need to move the control above its current position. Another common error in steering wheel adjustment results in a child constantly clinging to the steering wheel with their knees. In this case, you just need to change the tilt of the steering wheel. Most children’s bicycles are simple enough to allow quick and easy handlebar adjustments. By loosening the central locking nut, you can easily raise or lower the handlebar to the height you need.
After adjusting the handlebars, be sure to test your bike, and then go on trips long distances. When raising the steering wheel, special attention should be paid to the level of clamping of the joints, since the further operation of the bike depends on them. If you tighten them very loosely, after a short period of time, you will expect an unpleasant repair of the bearings. Strong tightness will directly affect bike handling and significantly reduce ride comfort.
After adjusting the steering wheel, it is important to get used to the new driving conditions. Initial discomfort should not be the reason for the next adjustment. Try to ride for a few days and after that you will be able to assess how comfortable the new steering position is for you.
How to change the height of the steering wheel
As a rule, the height of the bicycle handlebars is adjusted using special settings on the steering column. they are present in almost all models of a two-wheeled vehicle. But first you need to understand what type of steering column is installed on your specific bike:
How to raise the handlebars on a mountain bike
The height and direction of the bicycle head tube provide comfort during vehicle operation. It is believed that a high rudder setting should be used in cases where a calm ride / walk is expected, but a lower rudder setting is useful for those who are used to overcome wind resistance and reach some peaks.
In general, this type of headset is standard on mountain bikes. This mechanism is somewhat heavier and more complex than the previous type of bicycle headset, therefore the process of increasing the height of the handlebars will be somewhat more difficult. The handlebar is attached to the tube on mountain bikes using an additional element. the stem, which is used when the height of the handlebar changes.
You can change the height of the steering wheel with a threadless column as follows:
- Unscrew the anchor bolt with a hexagon (a kind of cover at the top of the pipe).
- Remove the tightening bolts that secure the stem to the head tube.
- Remove the steering wheel with the stem. this must be done slowly and very carefully.
- Add staging rings to the pipe, or remove unnecessary ones. it all depends on whether you need to change the height of the steering wheel in the direction of decreasing or increasing.
- Set the stem to its original place.
- Tighten the tightening bolt first, then the anchor bolt.
Please note: sit is necessary to tighten the bolts when changing the height of the handlebar on a threadless column carefully. on such bicycles, with a strong tightening, the parts become unusable. After completing the procedure for adjusting the height of the handlebars on a mountain bike, it is imperative to adjust the level of the handlebars in relation to the front wheel of the vehicle. it is very easy to displace the structure. If it is necessary to slightly correct the position of the steering wheel, then the anchor bolt and the mounting bolt are slightly unscrewed, the steering wheel is straightened to the desired position, and then the bolts are tightened again.
What is the adjustment of the handlebar of a bicycle
There are several ways to adjust a bicycle handlebar:
- by the height of the steering wheel. this value determines the slope under which the body of the cyclist and his arms will be while riding;
- by the angle of inclination of the handlebars. the angle at which the handlebars are set / adjusted depends on which muscle groups will work during the ride, how quickly the cyclist will get tired.
How to properly adjust the handlebars in the indicated directions? Everything is strictly individual. a lot depends on the style of riding a two-wheeled vehicle:
- if the cyclist just enjoys a leisurely walk, overcomes distances without time pressure, then the steering wheel of the vehicle rises, the angle of its inclination becomes small;
- if the cyclist goes in for sports, he has to overcome different distances for a while and demonstrate his speed capabilities, then the handlebar will lower, and its angle of inclination will increase.
How to determine the position of the steering wheel? The “starting” point is the bicycle saddle. if the handlebar is located above it in level, then the latter is adjusted to increase, and if the handlebar is located below the level of the saddle, accordingly, the adjustment was low.
This type of steering column mounting can be found in professional bicycle models, as it greatly facilitates the entire structure of the vehicle. Surprisingly, all bicycles of the old (Soviet) model were equipped with a threaded steering column.
The design is very simple. the steering tube is located inside the column, tightened with nuts, thereby connecting to the steering gear. It is this simplicity that allows you to change the height of the bicycle handlebars in literally a matter of minutes:
- We loosen the fastening nut (it is located at the very bottom of the pipe, directly above the frame).
- If necessary, loosen the lock nut on the head tube.
- We raise the pipe to the required height (in some cases, it may be necessary to install an additional pipe. a kind of steering wheel extension).
- We tighten the fastening nut first, then the lock.
Additional steering wheel adjustments
As a rule, additional handlebar settings are present only on bicycles with a threadless column. we are talking about mountain models.
The first thing that can be adjusted is the steering angle. This is done using a hexagon. they simply loosen the bolts on the stem, which makes it possible to scroll the steering tube to the required position. This adjustment is necessary for a mountain bike with highly raised, complex handlebars. the position of the cyclist’s hands will need to be changed quite often.
The stem deserves a separate mention. it is a key element of the handlebars with a threadless column. There are several types of removal:
- vertical extension. with its help, the height of the handlebars of a mountain bike is increased;
- horizontal offset. allows you to compensate for the length of the frame when adjusting the steering wheel;
- corner offsets. they help to place various body kits, gadgets on the vehicle.
Why remove and raise / lower the steering wheel?
Before we come to the question of how to raise and lower, remove and put back the handlebars on a bicycle, let’s decide why this is usually done? Let’s not be distracted by the not-so-frequent cases when the bicycle wheel has broken down and needs to be replaced. It is already obvious that in cases of repair, a broken bicycle handlebar will have to be removed and replaced with a new one. In the overwhelming majority of cases, manipulations with the height of the bicycle handlebar are resorted to to regulate the height of the cyclist’s seating position.
The zero, or universal level of a bicycle handlebar is its height, which is equal to the height of the saddle. If the level of grip on the handlebars is higher than the level of the saddle, the handlebars on the bike are considered high. If the hand grip is below the level of the saddle, the handlebar is considered low. The interdependencies are as follows:
- the higher the handlebars, the straighter the cyclist’s seating position, the more relaxed the back and arms, and the more comfortable but slower cycling. This position is suitable for long and comfortable riding, but not suitable for high-speed.
- the lower the handlebar, the lower the position of the cyclist’s body, closer to the horizontal, aerodynamically streamlined, the ergonomics of the muscle frame approaches the most effective, but the muscles of the back and arms in this position are constantly tense. This position of the cyclist is used for short-term high-speed riding, but is not suitable for prolonged stay in the bike.
Types of mounting a bicycle handlebar
It turns out that the design of the bicycle handlebar mount is different, so the approach to its height adjustment is also different for different types of bicycles.
Threaded mount, with the stem secured in the steering column using a wedge lock. This design is most often used on budget, but the most popular city bikes or road bikes. It is characterized by the simplicity and clarity of the approach to the issue of removing, installing, adjusting the bicycle wheel in height. But this design is heavy, and therefore it is not used on sports bicycles popular today.
Threadless mount, with the stem fixing in the steering column using an expanding anchor, and additionally with a stem clamping collar. This bicycle handlebar design is characterized by its structural simplicity and lightness. Most often used on modern sports bicycles. But in the matter of adjusting the steering wheel in height, it is characterized by ambiguity and multivariate approaches.
Removal, installation and height adjustment of the steering wheel with a threaded fastening
In order to remove or adjust such a bicycle wheel in height, you must:
- using a wrench of the appropriate size, loosen the fixing nut on the top of the steering tube;
- with a wrench of the appropriate size, loosen the expansion screw of the wedge-retainer (in the upper end of the structure) so that there is a play in the bicycle steering wheel attachment;
pull out the steering wheel assembly and remove it from the steering tube, or adjust it to the installation height (raise or lower), then tighten the wedge-retainer screw and the fastening nut in sequence.
How to change your handlebar height
Removal, installation and height adjustment of a handlebar with a threadless mount
In this design, the removal / installation of a bicycle wheel and its height adjustment are often different concepts and operations.
With the removal and installation of such a bicycle handlebar, everything is more or less clear and monotonous, it must actually be disassembled into parts:
- loosen the armature screw (at the upper end of the steering tube) with a hex wrench;
- we also loosen the stem mounting clamp screws with a hexagon or wrench;
- remove the stem with the steering bar assembly.
But the regulation of its height is not so unambiguous, and has options:
- After removing the steering wheel, by placing washers-spacers between the stem and the head tube. But the range of such adjustment is insignificant, limited to a few centimeters.
- By purchasing an adjustable stem. Everything is clear here. on such a stem, the adjustment is made by a built-in mechanism (there are different designs), easily and quickly, literally on the go or at a short stop.
- By adjusting the stem height. Conceptually, everything is simple. a new stem of the required height is bought, the old and new stem are swapped. But you won’t be able to do it quickly. maximum, just before each trip.
- By selecting the steering bar, according to the lifting height of the handles. The principle is the same as in the selection of the stem. I bought the right steering wheel, installed it, took a ride, got tired. replaced it with another one, with a different lifting height of the handles.
Thus, if you have a sports bike and would like to be able to change its height adjustment quickly, right while riding, there is practically no alternative to an adjustable stem. Although, as an option, you can purchase and install a multi-position bicycle wheel. a ram, a butterfly and others. Multi-position handlebars allow you to get away from the problem of changing the position (position) of the cyclist during the trip even easier than the adjustable stem.
List of tools needed to adjust the bicycle handlebar.
In principle, with a small problem, you can stop at the prophylactic tightening of the clamps. But from a safety point of view, it is always better to play it safe and disassemble the steering column with its subsequent adjustment. If you don’t, then a big problem can catch up with you at the most inopportune moment. For example, in a stream of cars or in an open field.
Before tightening the handlebars on a bike, you need to choose the right tools.
- Can’t do without a set of bicycle hexagons.
- Be sure to prepare a rag with which the old grease will be removed.
- New lubricant.
- If possible. a magnetic plate that will not allow small parts to scatter during repairs.
The process of tightening the handlebars on a bicycle
What’s the most important thing about a bike ride? Comfort, of course. And such a state can only be ensured by the correct body position and a clearly chosen position of the cyclist. But it all depends on the position of the steering wheel on the bike, as well as on its serviceability.
For reasons that will be described below, it becomes necessary to adjust the steering. How to tighten the handlebars on a bike? Can this process be done at home? What tools will be needed and what is the sequence of actions? This article will answer these and other questions.
What actions are required to tighten or tighten the handlebars on a Stels bike
The classic look of a bicycle handlebar
We carry out the following actions if the steering column is out of order and needs to be repaired.
- Removing the steering wheel from the fork, you can scatter small parts, immediately put them on a magnetic saucer.
- We analyze bearing problems. Bulk collect, cartridge inspect for bearing popping problem.
- When disassembling, we remember the order of the arrangement of the parts.
- Remove old grease with a rag.
- Changing deformed parts.
- Liberally lubricate all internal parts with new lubricant.
- We assemble in the reverse order.
How easy it is to pull up the handlebars on a bike?
- After the preliminary steps described above, adjust the stem height using the spacer rings. It is better not to pull out the tapered end of the stem with this type of repair. We remind you that if the stem is small. it needs to be replaced with a longer one.
- We put the steering wheel in place. You don’t need to worry if everything is not very perfect. The pinning process will fix everything.
Why do you need to adjust the steering wheel.
There are two reasons why you should tinker with steering column adjustments, for example on a Stels bike.
- When you need to perform actions with the steering wheel on a child’s bike. A very common reason for answering the question: “How to tighten the handlebars on a bicycle?” During the year, the child grows and for a comfortable ride he needs to reinstall the steering wheel.
- The steering wheel is loose, especially when braking. There are atypical sounds when going downhill, or the control is turning tight. All this suggests that there is a play in the steering column of the bicycle. This means that the steering parts do not perform their functions qualitatively.
Having considered the most common causes of such a problem, we focus on several recommendations for effectively solving this issue.
- The threadless steering column is also adjustable.
- If a situation arises in which it is necessary to change the height of the roll at a greater distance than provided by the existing length, then you just need to purchase a suitable stem.
- Adjustments should be made to a level that makes the ride comfortable for you. Each person has his own body, so listen to him and set the steering wheel to the height you need.
- A certain criterion may be the position at which the steering wheel and seat are on the same level. But this is all very individual.
How to properly tighten the handlebars on a bike
Such repair work does not require special theoretical knowledge or a lot of time. Using our recommendations, you can save yourself from possible problems or pull the steering wheel to the desired height.