How to step by step adjust the speed on different bike derailleurs
Switching functions can be oiled, malfunctioning, delayed. This affects the ride quality. The cyclist must know how to adjust the speeds on the bike in order to adjust them in time. You can carry out the setting at home, rather than resorting to the services of specialists. The main thing is to understand the device, follow the instructions.
How to fix defects
The speed switch will work perfectly and the bike itself will be with a new (or not very old) cable, with absolutely intact shirt (and NOT dry!) AND NOT deformed (or in a small volume) stars and chain.
If the cable is just stretched, then you just need to pull it up. But if the cable breaks, then you cannot do without replacing this element. The process of replacing the cable is not difficult, the main thing is to strictly adhere to the recommendations of specialists:
- Unscrew the cable fixing screw, which is located for transfer;
- Pull the cable out of the shirts;
- If necessary, disassemble the shifter and pull the cable out of it;
- A new cable must be inserted into a special groove in the shifter, and it is the metal tip of the cable that must enter into the groove;
- Lubricate the entire cable with a special grease, it is not necessary to spare the consumable;
- The cable will pass through the shirts;
- On the frame there are special grooves in which shirts are tucked;
- At the front, fasten the cable with a screw.
In case of poor gear shifting, pay attention to the return spring. it must be clean and lubricated. To achieve this, you just need to rinse the spring under running water, dry it completely and lubricate it thoroughly.
If the rear derailleur frame is crooked, then this can only mean one thing. the cock is bent. If this is not critical, then you can correct the rooster with your hands. you need to take the rear switch in your hand, which is fixed on the rooster, and with the other hand hold the frame. Slowly pull out the problematic transmission element (rooster) until relatively level.
Note: this “repair” of the cock is a temporary solution to the problem of shifting gears. The fact is that the rooster is a consumable, which needs to be changed on time, and not constantly repaired / pulled.
In some cases, the bike owner Pays attention to the deformed rear derailleur (the front derailleur is extremely rarely damaged by impact). it can also be returned to its original position with the help of hands. But if the rear derailleur is deformed too much, then it is advisable to replace it.
Note: after performing specific manipulations to repair bent / deformed parts, do not use the bike for too long. this may end in a fall, another breakdown at the most inopportune moments. And in some cases, such carelessness can lead to a traffic accident.!
Why is there a violation of gear shifting
To understand what action should be taken to adjust gear shifting, you need to understand what causes may lead to the problem in question. Experts identify several such predisposing factors:
- Rooster deformation;
- Stretching the rope;
- Deformation of the speed switch;
- Incorrectly working return spring.
Owners Should know how to properly set the speeds on the bike. Self-regulation requires compliance with the instructions:
- Move the chain to a small star;
- Unscrew the screw;
- Weaken the tension of the cable;
- Adjust the screw with the letter “H”;
- Pull the rope.
Check the functionality of the switch mechanism. They turn the pedals several times, observe the chain throwing. If the problem persists, tighten the cable tighter. After checking, move the chain to a large sprocket and adjust the tension of the screw with the letter “L”.
When adjusting bicycle derailleurs, pay attention to the equal position of the foot and sprocket.
Switching can be configured with screwdrivers, hex wrenches and pliers. The transport itself is optional. It is advisable to prepare a cloth for cleaning parts and a lubricant in advance. Adjustment of the limiters is possible after checking the health of the components of the mechanism.
Rear derailleur design
Why bike speeds don’t shift well
Usually, the thought of needing to fix derailleur problems comes when the chain is shifting too hard between the stars, or the gears are NOT shifting at all. The problem comes suddenly, as an option, you can contact the master.
However, this issue can be resolved in the service in a couple of minutes, and the money will have to be paid in time. Maybe you should tinker yourself?
Before proceeding with the instructions for setting up the bike speed system, let’s determine why it does not work correctly:
- Switches are damaged. A complete replacement is needed to solve the problem.
- Deformed cock. protection of the rear derailleur. Usually it is advised to change, but once you can straighten.
- Spring worn or stretched cable. Replacement required, switch setting.
Very often, all components of the transmission are in good condition, and the gears are still poorly shifted. New parts, or small workpieces installed in a transmission unit are a common cause of poor chain sprocket running.
How to adjust the speed switch on a bike
It often happens that either the speeds on the bike are NOT switched clearly, or some new transmission elements have been installed. In this case, you will need to adjust the speed switch and it is quite possible to do this work on your own, without contacting specialized workshops.
What to do if you can’t adjust the bike’s rear derailleur
There are several ways to address this issue. But if the standard tuning instruction did not work, to tune the rear derailleur you need to:
- Dismantle the chain, remove the cable;
- Move the switch to the chain position for the smallest sprocket;
- Use adjusting bolts (this way you can tighten the cable)
- Set the adjusting bolt H to the extreme position;
- Move the part called the parallelogram to the big star and adjust the position of the bolt L.
The regulator is fixed with screws. It must be set to the extreme position. After that, the chain must be displaced in this order: the front cassette is the largest star in diameter, the rear, on the contrary, is the smallest.
How to adjust the front derailleur
There is also a clear and simple step-by-step guide for adjusting the front derailleur:
- Shift the chain to a smaller star.
- Unscrew the fixing screw and release the cable.
- We find the screw marked “L”, with its help we adjust the position of the frame so that the chain is between the plates of the frame, but at the same time does NOT touch them.
- We stretch the cable, fix it with a screw.
- Now we move the chain in the cassette to a smaller sprocket. it is convenient to do this using the rear derailleur.
- In front of it, with the switch, move the chain to the middle star and look. if the chain on the second one touches the outer side of the frame everywhere, then you need to increase the tension of the cable using the drum located on the left shifter.
- Shift the gear to the largest sprocket in the cassette and check. if the chain touches the frame walls, you need to move the last element so that the chain is in the middle. This manipulation can be done using a screw marked “H”.
Preparation for setting the rear derailleur
It is required to clean the cassette from dirt, the rear derailleur itself, check the shirts with a cable, and it is also desirable to lubricate them if necessary.
Cycling speed shifting. when needed?
Let’s figure out how to correctly and when it is necessary to perform gear shifting on a bicycle, i.e. Let’s find out the principle of gear shifting.
Most bicycles have two or three drive stars in their design, which are located in the front, and seven to ten driven stars, which are in the back.
The front stars are numbered from small to large, and the rear stars are numbered from large to small. Consider how the gear changes on a bicycle, three stars in the front and eight stars in the back:
- The large chainring is used if you are driving on a flat, good road and you are NOT going to meet a duo with strong winds. This star assumes the use of led stars numbered 4-8.
- The middle sprocket is designed for driving on dirt roads, sand and uneven asphalt. The driven stars that are used with her are numbers 2-6. This star will let you ride if the headwind is strong enough.
- The small chainring is designed for uphill climbing, and also when driving in mud, sand, swampy soil, thick grass. The rear sprocket numbers that are used with it are 1-5.
Improper use of THESE devices will reduce their service life. For example, if you allow the chain to be heavily skewed.
When choosing gear, you should remember about the concept of “cadence”. This word refers to how fast your bike pedals are. The cadence depends on the number of revolutions per minute. For comfortable movement, it should be equal to somewhere between 80-110 rpm.
Therefore, it is worth choosing gears so that the cadence is kept around 80-110 rpm. When starting, you should not immediately take high gears.
It is better to warm up the muscles at light speeds and reach a comfortable cadence, and then you can shift higher gears. As your riding experience improves, you will learn to intuitively sense which gear and when to shift.
How to set up gear shifting on a bike
Over time, every cyclist has trouble shifting gears. Either you cannot switch from one gear to another. by jumping over a couple of stars, or it is not possible to switch at all. This is where the need for awareness of how to set up gear shifting on a bike comes in.
Setting the speeds on a bike is not a complicated procedure (although at first glance it seems like that). If you are setting up two switches, start from the rear.
To begin with, you must make sure that it is not bent (the chain tensioner is parallel to the cassette stars). Now let’s start adjusting.
At high speed, the chain should be on the small star of the cassette. We put everything in this position. To adjust, we need to find two screws (in the figure they are designated H and L).
Screw H is necessary. Tighten so that the switch roller is aligned with the small star. Likewise, tighten the L screw. the roller should align with the large sprocket.
After that, we pull the cable (the maximum speed is on the shifter). It should fit exactly into the groove near the fixing bolt (number one in the picture). Now it should be tightened.
Fastening the cable with a stretch. Check if high gears engage well. If not, loosen the cable with the adjuster (marked with number two). Also check if the speeds are reset well (if it is bad, then pull the cable while unscrewing the tension adjuster).
The last item in the rear derailleur adjustment will be to set the smoothness when shifting gears. To do this, you need to put the chain on a small star in the front and a large one in the back.
The tension screw (marked with number three) should be tightened so that on the rear derailleur the upper roller is as close as possible to the star, but does not touch it.
Now put the chain the other way around (in front on a large sprocket, and at the back on a small one). the roller should also NOT touch the cassette sprocket.
Speed Bike Rear Derailleur Setting. Self-Setting Bike Speeds
Nowadays, the market for bicycles is overwhelming with a variety of rear derailleurs for bicycles, both entry-level and pro. Lee, in spite of this, the setting of the rear derailleur has approximately the same principle of adjustment. Nearly all modern rear derailleurs have 5 adjustments.
On different models of rear derailleurs, the L and H adjustment stop screws may be on the side or back. It should also be remembered that you can also adjust the rear derailleur using an adjusting drum, which is located on almost all shifters. This is very convenient as the cables tend to stretch.
Method one: repairing the brake
Pedal access will be required to properly adjust the shift mechanism.
Shift the mechanism to the Highest (fastest) speed. This is the smallest sprocket in the rear cassette.
It (the star) is located farthest from the bike. The gear shifting mechanism works together with the highest cable tension, and the fastest gear works with the least tension. Thus, the gearshift mechanism is not loaded with work and is easier to adjust.
– When cranking the pedals, lightly apply pressure on the cable leading to the rear shift mechanism.
– Note that if the bike is turned over, the direction of rotation of the nut is opposite to that of the chain.
– Loosening the nut helps if the chain jumps over two sprockets when shifting to high speeds.
– Check the steering speeds and gearshift levers. If they do not work, then the bike has a more serious breakdown.
Lubricate all bolts and main rotating mechanisms of bicycles to prevent breakage. Make sure the chain is lubricated with special oils and is NOT damaged during use, and the transmission works correctly.
- The bike speed switches only while driving.
- If you are changing gears, before that you should lower the pressure of your feet on the bicycle pedals.
- If you have a slide on the route, it is better to switch the speed before going up.
- Switching speeds should be done gradually, do not jump over several speeds.
- And most importantly, make sure that a large skew of the chain is not allowed, as this will significantly reduce its service life.
By following these simple rules, you can increase your level of riding, as well as cycling does NOT turn into torment for you.
Steps for adjusting the rear derailleur on a speed bike
If, when switching to large gears, there is a shift of the rollers to the right of the stars, then it is necessary to turn the screw “H” clockwise, tighten it until they are not exactly on a straight axis. If the rollers are shifted to the left, the chain will have difficulty shifting to lower gears, you must loosen the screw “H”.Spin counterclockwise.
With the correct adjustment of large gears when the wheel rotates by pedaling, the chain should work silently without hooks on a small star.
Next, you need to tuck the cable under the cable fastening screw and pull it as tight as possible. We pull with one hand and tighten the screw or nut with the other.
Unscrews the adjusting screw “L” almost completely, the chain must be thrown over the largest sprocket at the back and onto the smallest front.
To do this, place the chain on the smallest front sprocket and the rear on the largest. Then steep the pedals back, if the upper roller of the rear derailleur touches the sprocket teeth, then it is necessary to turn the adjusting screw to achieve such a value so that the roller is at a distance of about 5 mm from the sprocket teeth.
Then we need to check the chain tension, only now we need to switch to the small rear sprocket.
The last step is to check the correctness and clarity of gear changes. It is best to sit down and ride a bike, while checking each gear for clear shifting. A correctly tuned rear derailleur of a high-speed bike is considered if all gears shift clearly without chain crackling, the chain should move clearly from extreme stars to adjacent ones and vice versa.
By configuring the shimano switch
If in the future, for example, if the chain returns poorly to the extreme sprockets, or from the extreme to the neighboring ones, then you can adjust the rear derailleur on the go, spin the drum counterclockwise, unless of course it is present on the shifter of your bike.
Perhaps the lever is bent by a fall or other circumstances, you can try to repair the rear derailleur by aligning the lever.
NOT clear switching can also be due to NOT good cassette, various deformations, distortions. Also, the reason for an unclear shift may be hidden in a dirty cable or a malfunction of the shift lever. After the correct setting of the rear derailleur, you can proceed to the speed bike front derailleur setting.
Method two: eliminate chain slip
If you do not have a problem with the chain, then it is not necessary to touch these screws, as they have a standard factory setting. But if you have an accident or change the shifting mechanism, you need to readjust the limits with the screws.
Screw adjustment is necessary if:. the chain needs to be tightened;. there is a switch to the upper or lower speed;
– the chain touches the bicycle frame when pedaling.