How to remove the rear wheel yourself
Removing a large rear wheel is no more difficult than removing a front wheel. To make the dismantling process easier, remove the chain from the axle and spread the brakes.
Reverse mounting follows the same principle as with the front. However, when installing the chain, make sure it is correctly positioned on the sprocket. Therefore, first you need to put on the chain, and then mount the wheel on the mount.
How to remove a wheel from a bike yourself
Every more or less experienced cycling enthusiast knows how to remove a wheel from a bicycle. This manipulation is sometimes needed when a wheel is required to be repaired: replacing a tire, spoke or rim, or simply completely replacing it with a new and more perfect one. Even the most expensive and advanced bike sooner or later presents unpleasant surprises like deformation of the rim, damaged spokes, tubes or tires. The transmission sprockets also wear out, which entails the need for all the same actions described above.
Experienced cyclists can make the change themselves. Of course, there is a temptation to go to a professional workshop, but the cost of such services is quite high. And experience is never superfluous. In addition, it is not a fact that the service workshop is located next to the house. Lugging a bike on yourself is not a pleasant activity. Wouldn’t it be better to tinker with the bike yourself a little? Consider the features of replacing the front and rear wheels of a bicycle.
When do you need to remove a bicycle wheel?
Removing wheels may be required if you have such problems.
- Significant damage to the rim;
- Tube damage, tire rupture;
- Knitting and balancing;
- Bulkhead bushing;
- Replacing the bike chain, rear sprockets.
For tools, a suitable size open-end wrench or a ring spanner is sufficient. It is undesirable to use an adjustable wrench, as it “licks” the corners of the nuts, due to insufficient snug fit.
No additional tools are needed to deal with the eccentric fastening.
How to remove the front wheel of a bicycle
The procedure here depends on the type of brakes used on your bike. If the brakes are disc type, then nothing can be removed. The rim brakes must first be released in order to be able to continue dismantling without hindrance. To make it easier to release the brakes, pull out the arch connecting the pads. Further, to remove the front wheel, proceed as follows:
- Turn the bike upside down. Do this carefully so that it fits over the seat and steering wheel. There are many fragile devices on the steering wheel that can be easily damaged. This is a bell, headlights, accelerometers. Place a soft cloth under the derailleur of your bike to avoid scratching the part. If you are using a hydraulic system with brake fluid, do not keep the bike upside-down for long periods of time. This is fraught with air entering the tubes and subsequent bleeding of the brakes. This work cannot be called too laborious, but it will require additional time expenditures;
- Remove the wheel. If it is secured with a nut, then unscrew it until the hub axle comes out of the mount freely. The eccentric fastening does not require any additional tools and devices for dismantling. Eccentric bindings are often found on sport and mountain bikes;
- Finish dismantling.
Important! Do not use hydraulic disc brakes without a rotor between the pads as they can compress and jam. That will complicate the process of re-assembly, up to the possible need to bleed the brakes. Therefore, take care of some kind of temporary spacer between the pads in advance.
How to mount the rear wheel on a multi-speed bike
Correctly carried out repair of a bicycle wheel is not only and not so much correct disassembly, troubleshooting, but also assembly. The entire set of parts must be assembled strictly in reverse order.
- Place all accessories of the bushing mechanism in the drum and secure with the locknuts;
- Place the drum on the spokes of the bike;
- Tighten the spokes to the number of revolutions that they were untwisted. Tightening of the nuts on the spokes is carried out in the direction opposite to untwisting. If the drum still dangles, then tighten it more;
- Slide the cassette onto the hub, observing the following order: main, then single, small stars. The last step is tightening the cassette mechanism with a whip.
Now all that remains is to mount the rear wheel of the multi-speed bike to the frame. Slip the chain over one of the sprockets, then insert the axle into the dropout. The assembly is complete. It remains only to tighten the axle nut or eccentric. Turn the pedals, follow the chain as it moves along the sprockets. If everything is fine, then the speed bike is ready to ride.
How to reinstall the front wheel of a bicycle
Here, the same actions appear as in the case of withdrawal, only the order of actions is reversed.
- Slide the bike wheel into the mount so as not to mix up the rotation. Information about the direction of rotation is on the tire, but you must not forget that the bike is still “upside down”. This is important, otherwise “eights” may appear on the rim;
- Secure the axles with an eccentric or nut. Check the strength of the fastening so that the wheel cannot fly off while driving;
- Turn the bike over;
- Return the brakes to their original place (in the case of rim brakes).
At the end of all the manipulations, check the performance of the “hero of the occasion” and the correct operation of the brakes.
Features of high-speed bike hub service
The bushing is a part that needs periodic maintenance. The frequency of maintenance is every 2 thousand km of run. This corresponds to about 2-3 months of active use of the bike. If a creak appears, the bike starts to ride worse, then the problem is most likely in the hub. It needs to be removed and inspected.
The main causes of bushing problems are poor bearing lubrication and backlash. Increased friction or misalignment results in wear on the part very quickly. To gain access to the sleeve, remove the cassette using a puller.
- Insert the puller into the cassette nut;
- Using a wrench, rotate the puller. The ultimate goal is to unscrew the spline nut;
- Remove the small stars, set them aside;
- Remove cassette.
Before starting to disassemble the bushing, loosen the tension on the spokes with a wrench (you need a wrench with knocked out holes). Loosen the knitting needles орота turn enough. The bushing has to be replaced if the bearings, together with the axle, are completely worn out. If this is not the case, the lubricant is sufficient. Soak the removed parts in solvent and then lubricate. It is better not to adjust the skewed bearings, but to replace them, since in this state they are definitely faulty.
Any cyclist has to deal with one or another malfunction of a bicycle bike in one way or another. Despite the simplicity of the manipulations, the first removal and replacement of a wheel, as a rule, takes a lot of time. In the future, with practice, the bulkhead, dismantling and installation will take literally minutes.
How to remove the rear wheel of a high-speed bicycle with disc brakes with your own hands?
How to remove sprockets and rear wheel from a speed bike with disc brakes?
The bicycle is the most popular and most ergonomic vehicle. It is comfortable and comfortable to travel on it both in the city and along the crossroads. High-speed bicycles provide a lot of opportunities to feel comfortable, besides, on a rather problematic road.
But in order for your pet to continue to please you, he needs appropriate care, and the owner’s skills will be needed to cope with unforeseen events.
It may be necessary to remove the wheel from the bike in different cases. For example, you have a puncture, or your tires need to be replaced due to a high level of wear. But you never know what can happen. Someone will report that some kind of puncture does not require much work. There may not be any large-scale ones, but they can be done competently. The quality of your work will determine how much you can continue to skate. And there is something to think about.
Modern high-speed bicycles are produced by different companies and quite often with their own twists. It is on them that you need to pay attention.
For example, first you need to understand what kind of braking system is on the rear wheel of your bike. It is with him that all your work will begin. If you are a disc brake owner, then you shouldn’t get into any trouble.
If the rim is, then your actions will require more hardening. If you forget about the kind of brake and do not release it, then you will not be able to remove the wheel under any circumstances, no matter how hard you try. So, we have decided on the brake, now we turn specifically to the process of removing the wheel.
To begin with, make your own working conditions comfortable: turn the bike over on the handlebars and place it so that you have free access to the wheels from different sides. At this very moment, besides this, do not forget about the brakes. If your brake is hydraulic, then such models are completely disliked, while they are held upside down. And when replacing the rear wheel, pump the brake so that airspace does not fall into it.
Do not ignore this moment, without regard to its complexity, if you want your brakes to remain as reliable.
There are various types of wheel attachment to the axle. If it is on nuts, then your actions are not difficult and understandable. If the option is an eccentric, then you do not need to be intimidated by complex names. The process is fairly simple. Move the chain to a smaller sprocket.
On the left side of the sleeve is a lever that controls the eccentric clamp. Unscrew this lever by rotating it counterclockwise 180 degrees, but do not rotate near the hub axis. On the right side of the sleeve there is a special nut, which should be unscrewed by a couple of turns.
Do not release the lever and slowly remove the wheel itself from the fork tip. That’s all. Removing a bicycle wheel was not a difficult task.
The wheel has been removed, but the puncture site is not yet available. To do this, you need to deflate the wheel and disassemble it. If you do everything right after a short time, the camera, which is damaged, will be in your hands. The puncture site should be cleaned and sealed with a special pad, which will reliably cover the damaged area and prevent air from leaving the wheel.
If the damage is serious, then the camera needs to be replaced.
Removing a bicycle wheel will not be difficult for you, and with practice, the skills you need will come. In addition, it is fundamentally important to put it back in place correctly. The development itself is simple and requires basic knowledge.
If you do not want to go to the service, but decided to do everything with your own hands, then with diligence and a certain level of desire, you will have everything!
how to remove the rear wheel of a speed bike
How to remove a bicycle wheel
It is quite common for every cyclist to need to remove a wheel on his bike. This may be due to a puncture of a wheel, repair or replacement of old rubber with a new one. This procedure is perhaps the most common of all those related to repair or maintenance.
Often, beginners who have never encountered a self-repair bike before are wary of the procedure for removing a wheel, especially if it is a sports bike, speed bike or mountain bike. The presence of gearshifts and handbrakes is a warning to inexperienced cyclists. And if a high-speed bike has a rear derailleur mounted on the rear wheel axle, then the removal process becomes even more complicated.
Axle Mounted Rear Derailleur
Frame Mounted Rear Derailleur
How to remove the front wheel on a bike
Before starting work, you should determine the type of brake system of the bike, if rim brakes are installed on the bike, then you should release them, otherwise they will not allow you to remove the wheel. To release the brakes, you do not need to loosen the cable, just squeeze the brakes with your hand and pull out the metal corner of the cable. In this case, it will not be necessary to readjust the brakes. If the bike has hydraulic brakes, then it should be borne in mind that such a bike cannot be kept upside down for a long time. All other types of brakes, disc and drum, do not participate and do not interfere with the removal of the wheel.
How to release the rim brakes on a bicycle
So, we figured out the brakes, now you need to turn the bike over and put it on the saddle and handlebars. Be careful if there is an attachment on the handlebar to avoid damaging it. It is worth either placing something under the steering wheel, or relaxing and turning the equipment.
Here we come to the immediate removal of the wheel. If the wheel is attached with an eccentric, then no tool is needed to loosen it at all; you can loosen the eccentric manually. If the wheel axle is fastened with nuts, then an open-end wrench is needed, usually 15.
Wheel fastening with nuts
Wheel fastening with an eccentric
How to remove the rear wheel of a bike
Removing the rear wheel is as easy as removing the front wheel, only you first need to remove the chain from the sprocket. If the rear derailleur is attached to the frame or to the frame via a cock, it does not need to be removed. But if the switch is with a hook mount (found on budget models), then it is attached directly to the wheel axle. Therefore, before removing the wheel, you will also need to remove the switch. It is important to remember how it is attached so that there are no problems with installing it back.
How to put a wheel on a bike
If you removed the wheel from the bike, then, of course, you will have to put it back on. This must be done in the reverse order as it was filmed. It is important to consider the direction of movement of the wheel, the direction is indicated on the tire. If you do not follow the direction, then this will ultimately lead to the formation of an eight. When determining the direction of travel, do not forget that the bike is upside down.
Perhaps this is all that we wanted to tell you about how to properly remove and put a wheel on a bicycle. If you have any questions or you want to add something to our article. write in the comments block below.
There are two techniques used to remove and install a bicycle wheel:
- emergency removal and installation into place, without its complete disassembly. It is used in case of damage (puncture, cut) of a bicycle tube or tire, for their repair or replacement. In this case, all units and parts hung on it. the brake rotor of disc brakes, cassette or ratchet. are not removed, they remain on the bicycle during the entire period of repair work.
- removal and installation with complete disassembly. It is used when you need to repair or replace the wheel rim, partially or completely replace the spoke set, wheel hub, or send the bicycle for storage in a closet or garage. In this case, you should disassemble both the front and rear wheel of the bicycle. remove the brake rotor, cassette (ratchet), tire and camera. This can be considered a partial disassembly. And in the case of major repairs, you will have to completely dismantle the spoke set and wheel hub, which will already be considered a complete disassembly. Before installing such a disassembled bicycle wheel, you should assemble it together with all the assemblies and parts hung on it.
General procedure for installing a bicycle
- Place the bike in a stable position.
- Mount on the wheel all mounted units and parts of the brake system and transmission (if they were removed). The clamping nuts on the axle of the wheel hub must be loosened (eccentric. released).
- For the rear wheel, bring the hub axle to the feather dropouts. Put the chain on the driven sprocket (cassette, ratchet).
- Carefully insert the axle of the wheel hub into the grooves of the dropouts. At the same time, make sure that the elements of the brake systems and bicycle transmission fall into place.
- Pre-tighten the clamping nuts (eccentric) to the dropouts.
- Spin the bicycle wheel, monitor the alignment of its installation. On its full circle of wrapping around the axis, the bicycle tire should be at the same distance from the legs of the front fork and rear frame stays, and should not rub against them. If necessary, loosen the tightening nuts (eccentric) again and adjust the position of the wheel in the dropouts.
- Finally tighten the clamping nuts (eccentric) to the dropouts.
General procedure for removing a bicycle wheel
- First, you need to put the bike in a stable position. You can simply lean it against the wall, hang it on hooks, fix it in a rack. But the easiest and most accessible way is to turn it 180 degrees, “upside down”, and put it on the handlebars and saddle.
- Remove the chain from the driven sprocket (cassette, ratchet) of the rear wheel (if it is necessary to remove it).
- Lower the clamping nuts on the axle of the wheel hub, with which the bicycle is attached to the dropouts of the front fork (front) or rear stays (respectively, rear). They must not be completely unscrewed, but let go until the wheel hub axle begins to move freely in the grooves of the dropouts. If the axle mount of the wheel hub is quick-release, on the eccentric, then simply release (unclench) the eccentric.
- Carefully remove the wheel from the bike, carefully disengaging it from various parts and assemblies (brakes, rear derailleur, control bowdens and power wires).
How to remove and install a wheel
How to remove and put on (install, put) a wheel on a bicycle, front or rear? It seems to be a ridiculous question for an experienced cyclist. But, note, in addition to experienced cyclists, there are also inexperienced.
So how is it? Everything seems to be simple. let the clamping nuts on the wheel axle, or in general a quick-release eccentric. and that’s it. But for an inexperienced bike enthusiast, the devil is in the details, and there are a lot of such details here.
Features of removing and installing bicycle wheels
The peculiarities of removing and installing bicycle wheels are determined by the design features of the brake systems and bicycle transmission used. Since only the drive rear wheel interacts with the transmission of the bicycle, it is usually somewhat more difficult to remove and reinstall it than the front one. Assemble the rear wheel of a bicycle together with attachments and parts (cassette or ratchet, brake rotor) before installing it on the bicycle.
- On bicycles with single speed single speed hubs or multi-speed planetary hubs that use drum brakes, when removing the rear wheel, disconnect the brake lever mount from the rear right dropout (usually a bolt and nut). When installing the rear wheel in place, respectively, screw the brake lever back to its mount.
- In the case of a multi-speed planetary hub. when removing the rear wheel, you must also disconnect the bowden cable that controls the gear change (when installing it, connect the control bowden back).
- In the case of using rim brakes (vibrating racks, tick-borne) both on the rear and front wheels, you should open them with your hands and remove (insert) the removed (installed) wheel from engagement (into engagement) with brake pads.
- In the case of using disc brakes on both the rear and front wheels, in parallel with the withdrawal (insertion) of the wheel axle of the hub from (in) the dropouts, follow the careful withdrawal (insertion) of the brake rotor from (to) its place between the brake pads into brake mechanism. calliper. Remove the wheel carefully enough so that the brake rotor does not bend.
- If it is a motor-wheel of an electric bicycle (electric bike), then in order to remove (install), disconnect (connect) the power cable from the battery. For the rest, the motor wheel should be removed and installed as well, in compliance with the same rules and requirements as an ordinary bicycle.
What does the wheel consist of?
Bicycle wheels are the most conservative component. Of course, there are models on cast disks, all-round wheels are put on track models, but they are in the minority. Still, the majority of bicycles are equipped with spoke wheels.
- ordinary sleeve;
- connecting knitting needles;
- rim protective tape (flipper);
- camera and tire;
- disc (on models with disc brakes).
The hub is the axial part of the wheel, it is an assembly of the central axle, bearings and tapered retainers. Cone bearing systems are most often installed on bushings with open bearings. They can also be equipped with sealed bearings or slips.
Rim. supporting structure, metal ring. The rims are mostly made of aluminum, with carbon fiber rims being used on expensive models. In terms of rigidity and power, they are divided into three types:
- single-walled. the outer and inner surfaces have one line of contact (jumper);
- double. the inner surface is attached to the sidewalls, separated from the outer;
- triple. the strongest and most durable option: the inner wall is also fixed to the sidewalls, but, unlike the double rim, the triple rim has an additional wall in the middle.
Vertical bridges form channels running in the direction of rotation. According to the number of such channels, modern rims are divided into one, three- and five-piece:
Spokes. elements connecting the hub to the rim. They perform the functions of securing, distributing loads along the rim and central axis and mitigating vibrations during movement. The rim is perforated, each hole is designed to hold one spoke. The number of spokes is set on a bicycle wheel in multiples of four. Depending on the model, their number varies. from 28 to 40 on average.
The number of spokes for the front wheel is usually less than the number for the rear. This is due to the fact that the bulk of the load falls on the rear of the bike, and there the wheel must be stronger.
- standard (rolled). constant circular cross-section along the entire length from the bushing attachment to the tip;
- aerodynamic (blade-like). elliptical or rectangular profile;
- variable cross-section (pulled). standard cross-section at the heads and tapering towards the middle.
Rim tape, or flipper, is a rubber lining under the tube to protect it from puncture on the spoke tips. Dynamic loads force the walls of the chamber to bend, which causes them to be pressed against the rim surface. Without a flipper, the chamber can be forced into the hole with the spoke tip. This problem is more pronounced on the rear wheel, where the loads are higher, but the presence of a flipper is mandatory on the front. The torn tape must be replaced with a new one. A proven homemade option. glue the rim with several layers of electrical tape, except for the hole for the nipple.
Removing a wheel from a bike
Removing and installing tires
A tire breakdown on the move is an unpleasant phenomenon that can be found anywhere. Can even lower at home. You can’t ride, you have to change the camera, tire or all together. For a solution to the problem, you can contact the service, but in addition to money for a new consumable, they will also take on work. And why spend extra money and strain the master, when all the manipulations for removing and installing tires can be done independently? Let’s take a look at how to disassemble a bicycle wheel and assemble a tire. You will also have to remove the tires and put them back on when straightening the rim or replacing the spokes.
For work, you will need special plastic assemblies or two small shoe spoons. It is undesirable to use screwdrivers, as they can damage the rim.
- Fully deflate the tire (if removed to repair the rim, not replace).
- On the opposite side to the nipple, pry off the bead of the tire with assemblies and fasten them to the spokes. The distance between the blades is at least 20 cm. With the third assembly hook up the bead in the middle and pull it out of the rim.
- Remove the assemblies and pull the tire off the wheel. If there are only two blades, we fix one, the other is carried along the board, pulling it out.
- Pull the nipple out of the bore. On some models, it can be attached with an additional nut, then we twist it.
Now, when there is a new kit or the wheel is repaired, you need to put the tire back on, or fence:
- Pump up the chamber to 0.5 atm so that it takes a rounded shape and does not break.
- Insert the nipple into the hole, the chamber on the surface of the rim. It is important that it fits exactly the size of the wheel.
- Compress the tire beads and insert from the nipple side.
- Sequentially distribute the edges around the entire circumference with your hands.
- It will take some effort on the opposite side to push the bead down.
- Inflate the tire to the correct pressure and put the wheel on the bike.
It’s so easy to bend the wheel with your own hands.
DEVICE AND INSTALLATION OF THE FRONT WHEEL ON THE BIKE
The front wheel of a bicycle is a driving unit, without which it is impossible to imagine a bike, perhaps a unicycle. The driven wheel, synchronized with the fork, is responsible for the trajectory of the bike and, to a greater extent, the rolling speed. Unlike the rear wheel, the front wheel is simpler in design, but also requires timely maintenance.
A bicycle, like a car, needs regular maintenance, and the front wheel is one such important component that should not be neglected. Let’s give him a little attention!
How to remove / install the front wheel from a bike
How to remove the front wheel from the fork
Removing a wheel is the simplest maintenance procedure for your bike. This is done very simply:
- Turn the bike upside down.
- Release the rim brake, remove the caliper from the disc.
- Loosen the fasteners from the fork dropouts.
- Remove the wheel axle from the mountings.
On dropouts, the mount is nut and eccentric. In the first case, you will need two 15 mm wrenches. with one we hold the nut, with the other we carefully twist it on the opposite side. With the eccentric, everything is easier. loosen the retaining nut and fold the clamping lever.
Removing A Road Bike Front Wheel
How to correctly install the wheel and tighten the mount
The installation process in its rightful place is strictly opposite to dismantling:
- Taking into account the direction of rotation “forward”, insert the axle into the dropouts.
- Adjust position (for rear).
- Tighten nuts or eccentric.
On a bicycle, wheels are put on only with tires, otherwise it will not work to put the tires on the rims. “Forward” on an inverted bike. backward, look at the top. Arrow, feet and other pointers should point in this direction.
On rear dropouts, the axle position relative to the chainring can fluctuate, and its distance affects chain tension. The optimal position is the one recommended by the manufacturer, “all the way”. It should be noted that the dropout adjustment of the rear wheel is valid for models with one gear and planetary bicycles.
Tighten the nuts. Sometimes the mounts are equipped with additional washers-stoppers against axle rotation. If the manufacturer foresees this, we must put them. Next, the nuts on both sides are thrown by hand. Again we take two keys: on one side the nut is fixed, on the other side it is screwed. Then we go to the other side and tighten the mount all the way. The technical data sheet for the bike indicates the tightening torques for the fasteners. Following these guidelines will ensure uniform force distribution and optimal geometric integrity.
- Set axle to dropouts.
- Turn the bolt clockwise.
- Press the lever and fix the eccentric.
The locking lever should go with some effort and be free to lower to the end. If it folds too easily, you need to tighten the bolt, does not fall. loosen.
The wheel removal procedure is the first step to fixing rim defects and replacing tires on a bicycle. Changing tires or temporarily removing them with your own hands is just as easy, just take a little space and time.
Removing a wheel from a bike?
If you have never done something, then you may think that it is difficult to do it. If you have never removed the wheels from a bicycle before, then you may also be afraid that you will not cope, especially with the rear wheel (after all, there is a chain, a bunch of stars and this tricky derailleur!). But now we will tell you everything about this simple operation. There is nothing supernatural here. In short, we have already touched on this issue in the article on how to disassemble a bicycle, and now we will open this topic a little wider. You will have to remove the wheel not only if you need to disassemble the bike for transportation or storage, but also in order to replace the camera, tire or spokes (we will devote a separate article to what the wheels of a bicycle are made of). “.
How to remove wheels from a bicycle with rim brakes
If you have rim brakes, release them first. To do this, slide the brake levers towards each other and lift the cable lock up.
If you need to remove both wheels, release both brakes at once so that you don’t have to turn the bike over again. If you have tires with a large tread or they are large in diameter by themselves, then you will have to deflate a little air from the tubes. Now turn the bike upside down (if you have any accessories installed on your handlebars that can be damaged in this position, it is better to remove them in advance). The bike will stand stable enough for any operation, but if you have hydraulic brakes, it is better not to leave it in this position for a long time. air can get into the hydraulic line, which will entail a not very difficult, but tedious and time-consuming process of bleeding the brakes.
How to remove the rear wheel of a bike
If you will be removing the rear wheel, to make it easier to do, loosen the chain as much as possible by switching it to the smallest sprockets. The wheel can be attached to the frame and to the front fork in two ways: with two nuts (less often) and with an eccentric. If your wheels are secured with nuts that screw onto the wheel axle, then you need two wrenches. You just throw one on one side and hold it in this position, and twist the other counterclockwise. It is not necessary to unscrew the nuts all the way; it is enough to loosen them to the extent that they do not interfere with the removal of the wheel. In the event that the wheels are fixed with an eccentric, then everything is even easier: you don’t even need tools. Pull the eccentric lever towards you, then, holding the axle on the opposite side, make a few turns counterclockwise until the wheel is free. Everything, the wheels can be removed. Yes, and the rear too: just lift it up and remove the chain from the stars.
How to remove wheels from a bicycle with disc brakes
If you have disc brakes, just in case, insert something into the pads, into the slot where the disc was: if they accidentally close, it is very difficult to release them. And if you don’t open it, don’t put the wheel on. The role of “something” can be, for example, a piece of paper folded several times. And sometimes new bicycles come with a special plastic plug.
The assembly is carried out upside-down. To make it easier with the rear wheel, bring it to the attachment point, put the chain over the sprocket and after that insert the axle into place. Make sure the axle fits into the groove all the way and symmetrically. Are you convinced that there are no difficulties in installing the wheels on the bike? But there is one caveat: in order for the protector to work as it should, it must be oriented in the right direction. For the convenience of orientation, an arrow is drawn on the tire. in this direction the wheel rotates when the bicycle moves. But the fact that the bike is upside down when installing the wheels can be misleading. Therefore, take your time. This does not apply to the owners of bikes with disc brakes. it is impossible to confuse here. Do not over-tighten the eccentric; put the brakes back in place. All.
How to disassemble or reassemble the rear wheel of a speed bike
Removing the wheels from the frame is part of a mandatory bicycle maintenance procedure. Sooner or later, the wheel of even the most advanced bike will present surprises in the form of deformation of the rim, damage to the spokes, a burst tube or even the entire tire, as well as wear of the sprocket system for the rear wheel.
Experienced cyclists welcome self-repairing wheels, and it is no coincidence: it’s cheaper, and you will gain skills. You can also go to a good workshop, where the problem will be solved, perhaps faster, but not free of charge. over, the service is hardly located under the windows of the house, so the bike will have to be dragged, which is not very pleasant. To avoid this, it is better to tinker a little yourself, especially since there is nothing complicated about the wheels. Today we’ll talk about how to remove the rear wheel from the bike, repair it and assemble it correctly.
How to Remove the Front Wheel on a Road Bike
The eccentric mechanism uses a hollow hub axle to secure the wheel axles, equipped with a shaft, a lever that acts as a cam mechanism, and an adjusting nut. The cam creates tension on the shaft and pulls, and the adjusting nut is pressed firmly against the pad on the frame. This tension holds the wheel securely to the frame.
The adjusting nut determines the amount of tension on the cam lever for the cam mechanism and wheel axles. Lubricate the cam mechanism if it is sticky or dry.
The eccentric mechanism for securing the axles of the wheels is equipped with two conical springs. The small end of the spring faces the axis and the large end faces outward. These springs make it easier to fit the wheel. If one or both springs are twisted or damaged, they can be removed. They don’t matter as long as the wheel is firmly attached to the bike.
The so-called “open cam” may require more tension. These levers have a cam mechanism and must be lubricated frequently.
When to remove the rear wheel
It is unlikely that the idea of unscrewing the chassis from the bicycle frame would just come to mind, unless, of course, a person specializes in bicycle dismantling. But this is a completely different case. Dismantling the rear wheel will be required if the following problems are observed:
- noticeable damage to the rim;
- complete wear when a wheel needs to be replaced;
- a flat tire or a burst tire;
- bulkhead bushing.
This includes the planned replacement of the rear sprocket system and chain.
Before removing the bike, turn it over and place it on the saddle and handlebars. It is better to remove awnings in the form of a mirror, a bell and a lantern in advance so as not to damage them under the weight of the frame. V-brakes are first released and disassembled, otherwise they will not allow the wheel to be pulled out freely. With disc models, everything is easier. you can immediately remove the wheel.
I must say that the removal process itself consists only in unscrewing the eccentric or unscrewing the fastening nuts from the axis of the bushing, who has something. If the mount is an eccentric, simply unscrew the handles and twist the wheel. The nut fastening is loosened with one or two wrenches.
Usually one wrench of the appropriate size is enough, with which the nuts are removed one by one. If the hub axle turns, then the nuts are unscrewed simultaneously in different directions. It is recommended to use open-end wrenches or box wrenches. The adjustable version is undesirable, as its thick horns “eat up” the corners of the nut due to loose fit and sliding.
Removing and installing bicycle wheels
This article will guide you through removing and installing front and rear bicycle wheels.
Replacing the bike camera
To remove the tire and remove the damaged chamber, it is necessary to remove the remaining air: the cap is unscrewed and the wheel is lowered by continuous pressing on the nipple. If there is no air in the tire, which is more often the case with punctures, then simply unscrew the cap.
To remove the tire, you need special paddles. Of course, you can pry the camera with a regular screwdriver and even a knife, but it is better to have a professional tool. With the help of assemblies, the tire is pushed on from the side opposite to the nipple. As soon as it starts to pull together, you need to pry the sides a little further, until a sufficiently free part of the tire is formed, and it can be safely pulled off the rim.
You need to tighten it very carefully so as not to damage the rim, you should not use too much force. When the tire is removed, remove the damaged camera and install a new one. The nipple is threaded into the hole in the rim, then the chamber is evenly distributed around the circumference.
Attention! The camera must lie flat, without kinks, otherwise you will have to reinstall it. There must be a flipper at the bottom of the rim to protect it from the spokes. If it is torn, you need to install a new one or get by with two layers of thin electrical tape.
On top of the rim, the outer part of the tire is put on, this time, from the side of the nipple. When installing a tire, take into account the correct direction of the tread pattern. Usually, arrows are drawn on the tires, and in the upside down state of the bike, the forward direction is backward in the lower position. However, the rear wheel of a speed mountain bike is easy to go wrong, thanks to the cassette on the side. After mounting, the camera is inflated.
The wheels must be properly fitted to the bike frame. Misalignment can lead to problems with shifting and adjusting the bike. If the wheel is not securely fixed, then it can fall off during the ride and injure the cyclist.
Rigid axle bushings use axle nuts on the outside of the frame plate. The axle nut contains a washer built into the axle nut or a separate washer. If the washer has teeth or knurls, then they are connected to the recess to secure the wheel. Lubricate the threads on the axle when the wheel is mounted on the bike.
It is often easier to mount the front wheel when the bike is on the ground. When placing the bike on the ground, the axle must be completely in the pad on the frame.
Make sure that the cam lever for locking the axles of the wheels is in the open position and that its brakes are open.
Place the wheel in the pad on the frame. Make sure the hub is fully seated in the frame or fork.
- On the rear wheel, first turn the gear back and place the smallest gear between the top and bottom of the chain. Place the wheel between the brake pads, hooking the smallest gear on the chain.
- Cam mechanism for securing the axles of the wheels: tighten the axle so that the lever meets resistance at 90 ° from the frame or fork.
- Straight axle: move the axle in place and turn clockwise until it stops.
- Solid axle: tighten both nuts on the axle until they stop.
- The use of a torque wrench is recommended. However, if it is not available, an effort must be made. For 25 Nm, apply about 40 pounds of pressure to the end of a 5 “wrench.
Determine the end position of the lever closing. Rotate the front arm and adjusting nut so that the arm ends up just at the front of the fork. Place the rear arm between the chain support and the seat. Reposition the lever as needed if it is not fully closed.
Re-remove the brake mechanism if applicable.
Make sure the wheel is in the center of the frame or fork. Loosen the nuts on the axle and, if necessary, adjust the center of the wheel in the frame and retighten.
Make sure the brake pad rim is centered on the wheel and adjust as needed.
Assembling and installing the rear wheel on the bike
A quality wheel repair is not only about disassembling, replacing, lubricating or adjusting. At the last stage, all this chaos must be collected in reverse order. All parts of the bushing mechanism are placed in the drum and carefully secured with locknuts. The drum is pushed onto the spokes, after which they must be tightened by the number of revolutions by which they were loosened.
Tightening the spoke nuts is done in the opposite direction to loosening. Here you need to remember the direction of loosening in order to tighten correctly. If the drum dangles, then you need to tighten the spokes harder.
The cassette is put on the sleeve in the following order:
- main stars;
- single stars, small stars;
- tightening the cassette mechanism with a whip.
All that remains is to put the rear wheel on the frame. A chain is put on one of the stars, and the wheel is inserted into the grooves of the frame. To top it off, all that remains is to tighten the nuts or eccentrics on both sides. After assembly, you need to spin the pedals and see if the chain runs normally in the stars. We turn the bike over and begin to ride calmly!
Anyone who actively rides a bicycle will have to deal with wheel problems one way or another. Despite the ease of maintenance, the wheel can be time-consuming at first. However, if you remember how important wheels are to a bicycle, it turns out to be not so much. What’s more, with experience, a wheel bulkhead will take minutes.
How to remove the front wheel of a speed bike
Removing the front / rear wheel is a snap. Even if this is your first time. The wheel is removed to replace the tube, tire or spoke. Transportation by public transport or seasonal storage. for these reasons, dismantling is also used.
You can always remove or install a wheel, carry out maintenance of the bike or solve any technical problem in our professional workshop.
The front wheel can be removed quite simply, but with the rear, things are a little more intricate. After all, there is a chain, and a lot of stars, and a switch. But you definitely shouldn’t worry! In a new article, we will talk about this procedure in detail. There is nothing supernatural about it.
How to remove a wheel (V-Brake)
Slide brake levers (one to one).
Lift the cable mount slightly upward.
There are two ways to fix the wheel: with two nuts or with an eccentric (more often). In the case of nuts, you need two wrenches. Use the first key from one side, holding it in one position. Turn the second to the left (counterclockwise). It is not necessary to completely unscrew the nuts. just loosen them sufficiently. If the wheels are fixed on an eccentric, then the task is simplified: there is no need even for tools. Just pull the eccentric lever towards you, then, supporting the axle on the other side, make a couple of turns to the left with it until the wheel is released.
When removing two wheels, it is advisable to remove both brakes. Otherwise, you will have to turn the bike over twice. If the tires have a large tread pattern or they are simply very large, then first deflate.
It will also not be superfluous to loosen the chain as much as possible. To do this, place the chain on the smallest sprockets at the front and back. Then you need to turn the bike upside down. Then just open the eccentric / unscrew the wheel nuts.
Please note that in this position (wheels up) the bike will be very stable and accessible for maintenance. However, there is a certain nuance: if the bike is equipped with hydraulics, then it is advisable not to keep it in this state for too long. Air can be trapped in the brake line, which in turn can lead to a difficult and time-consuming process of bleeding the brake system.
If you have disc brakes, then we recommend inserting a special plug between the brake pads of the brake machine (sometimes it comes with the bike). A piece of plastic or a ruler will do. This will prevent the pads from squeezing if you accidentally press on the brake lever. Then it is not so easy to unclench them back, and if this is not possible, you will not return the wheel back.
The installation of the wheel is carried out in the same way. only in the reverse order. Bring the wheel to the grooves, put the chain over the sprocket, insert the axle into the grooves, and the rotor (brake disc) into the caliper. It is important that the axle goes into the groove to the very end. As symmetrical as possible. In the end, do not forget to tighten the eccentric well, but you should not overdo it either.