After you have prepared the necessary tool, proceed with the dismantling process. Detailed instructions on how to remove the cassette from the rear wheel of a bicycle are presented below.
- Remove the rear wheel of the vehicle. To do this, unscrew the nut holding the rear tire axle and pull out the brake mount. Then shoot the camera itself.
- Examine the cassette carefully for signs of damage or wear, decide that replacement is really necessary. Along with this, assess the condition of the bearings by shaking the axle in different directions. If there is a lateral clearance on the axle, they will soon need to be replaced. It is better to entrust this procedure to specialists, independent repairs can be carried out only after a detailed study of the instructions.
- To dismantle a damaged cassette, place the wheel on a flat surface with the part up. Use a whip and a special puller: roll the whip fixed to the largest sprocket, pointing the tool to the right. And the puller must be inserted into an available pass near the axis.
[attention type = red] Important! Removing the cassette from the bike without a puller will be problematic. you will spend a lot of time and effort. [/ Attention] The thread on the ring with a dozen teeth is standard and unscrews counterclockwise. You will need a lot of strength to move the circle from its place, do not be intimidated by the grinding that occurs due to the locking teeth.
- After elimination of the stop ring, the cassette moves to the side and protrudes. It is highly likely that it will split into parts: individual stars, gaskets and other solid elements.
[attention type = green] Tip! Remember the sequence of asterisks and other elements so that after removing them, return everything to its place. [/ Attention]
- Now replace the cassette, remember, the new bike rear wheel cassette should have the same gear ratio. All elements of the system are designed for certain indicators and any replacement of a part violates the overall balance of the device. Usually, the gear ratio is indicated on the cassette sprocket, you can also calculate it yourself by counting the number of teeth on the largest and smallest “gear”. these numbers are the desired indicator. Do not forget about the special spacers placed between the main parts.
- After fixing the sprockets in their original place, screw the ring and cassette. Do not use all your strength, the threads on the parts are shallow and rough operations can ruin it. The cassette is connected by a locking circle with special teeth that do not allow it to be unscrewed.
- After returning the ring to its proper position, tighten the nut securely and return the wheel to the rear fork of the bike. This step is similar to the first paragraph in the instructions, only the opposite is true.
It is known that the bike will not budge with faulty sprockets, periodically check their condition and change them in time. Often, along with the cassette, the chain also wears out. Therefore, assess its condition and, if necessary, tighten or shorten, and also lubricate without fail, since you could inadvertently erase all the substance from the metal surface.
How to quickly and quickly remove the cassette from the rear wheel of a bicycle
The transmission of a bicycle needs regular inspection and maintenance; the chain or sprockets wear out the fastest. A poor system condition will shorten the life of the vehicle and make driving dangerous. Therefore, the question arises of how to remove the cassette from the rear wheel of a bicycle in order to replace it.?
Cassette Removal & Installation
To do this, you do not need to know the complete structure of the rear wheel, but it is worth reading information about it in order to understand the process of operation of this unit itself. Only after you have prepared theoretically, proceed directly to the dismantling process.
To remove the old part, just like when dismantling the ratchet, only 3 tools are required:
- a puller for a two-wheeled vehicle retaining ring. needed to unscrew the nut;
- The key whip is a tool with a bicycle chain. It is necessary to fix the position of the cassette, because dismantling occurs with a freely rotating wheel;
- adjustable or box wrench.
How to remove a bike cassette
First of all, you need to prepare the necessary tool:
- cassette retaining ring remover;
- “Whip”. a special key to which a bicycle chain is attached (fragment);
- adjustable wrench.
You can, of course, do without the specified specific tool. over, there are 2 such methods and both will “work” 100%:
How To Change Your Cassette | Road Bike Maintenance
Be sure to prepare an area with a level surface, which should be within arm’s reach of the bike. this is how you can save and not lose all the parts of the bike cassette.
Step-by-step instructions for removing the cassette:
- The bicycle wheel is removed, a special puller is installed. You need to pay attention to the correct installation of this tool: its slots must completely enter the grooves of the retaining ring.
- The “whip” key is taken into your hands and placed on the sprocket in such a way that the fragment of the bicycle chain on the key is on the sprocket teeth. Please note that the handle of the “whip” should be to the right of the cassette, a fragment of the tool chain. at the top.
- An adjustable wrench is placed on the cassette remover and rotated counterclockwise. Simultaneously with this movement, it is necessary to firmly hold the “whip” key in a fixed position. thus, the movement / scrolling of the sprocket is blocked.
Note:in some cases, the chain may jump off during this process, which means a strong wear of the cassette sprockets or a breakage of the “whip” key. Experts recommend to put a “whip” on a large sprocket. you can get the desired fixation effect.
- The retaining ring is completely unscrewed, the cassette is removed.
Be sure to make sure that the removed cassette, as well as the sprockets and all fasteners, are in the removable form exactly in the order in which they were in the original version.
After removing the cassette, you can start cleaning and lubricating it. these procedures are among the mandatory for regular maintenance of a two-wheeled vehicle.
How to remove a bike cassette
Cyclists often have to service their vehicle on their own. each time it will be quite expensive to contact specialized repair services. Many bicycle elements can be removed and installed quite easily and simply, but there are details that require the use of specific tools and some knowledge. These include the cassette. a part that is attached to the rear hub.
How to install a cassette on a bike
First of all, make sure that the cassette assembly matches the unfolded / removed parts. To facilitate this process, the sprockets have grooves of different sizes (for each sprocket. individual), and the bushing has suitable splines. It is the correct alignment of the grooves and splines that all the sprockets will stand in a certain order.
There are some important things to keep in mind when installing the cassette on your bike:
- Many cyclists lubricate the bushing surface before installing the part in question. However, experts believe this is wrong. after lubrication (until the entire cassette is assembled and installed), both dust and dirt will have time to get onto the applied lubricant, which ultimately leads to the need for maintenance, repair or replacement of elements.
- Experienced cyclists lubricate the thread of the retaining ring before assembling the cassette. during subsequent disassembly it will be much easier to unscrew.
- All sprockets must be worn alternately, but do not forget to put spacer rings between them. In some bike models, you can see not separate sprockets, but a single / one-piece assembly.
- In many bicycles, to securely install the last sprocket, you need to press it slightly and only then you can screw the retaining ring.
- After the locking ring is screwed in, first you need to check the correct installation of the cassette and only then can it be finally tightened. Tightens the retaining ring clockwise.
Removing and installing the cassette is not difficult, because with a minimum set of tools and at least basic knowledge of the technical plan, all work will take a little time, a maximum of 60 minutes. But even if such a process is to be carried out for the first time, you should not give up. the experience of removing and installing a cassette will certainly come in handy more than once. The fact is that experienced cyclists recommend carrying out such maintenance of the bicycle cassette at least once a year.