Initially, ratchets were used on multi-speed bicycles. structures of several stars that could not be disassembled. The ratchet was screwed directly onto the wheel hub. For this, there was a thread on the hub and on the wheel. Nowadays, ratchets are used on old or cheap bicycles due to the fact that ratchets wear out quickly and break easily. Ratchets have a small number of gears. modern five or six, sometimes seven.
For this feature, they are called fives, sixes or sevens (according to the number of gears).
Disassembly procedure for transmission cassette
Removing the rear of the transmission is easy. Sprocket Removal Tool Kit Next.
- Open-end wrench for wheel dismantling;
- Adjustable cassette wrench;
- Cassette remover.
The first step is to dismantle the rear wheel of the bike. Using a wrench, unscrew the nuts, then remove the chain from the rear sprockets. For some modifications (for example, for MTB), removing the wheel is literally a matter of a minute, since it is attached to the eccentric.
Install the puller onto the spline nut. The whip is used to keep the cassette from spinning. Use an adjustable wrench to rotate the puller. The direction of rotation of the whip is in the opposite direction.
Removing the nut is not easy. You will also have to work hard to install it in place. After the nut has been unscrewed, the cassette is detached from the wheel without effort. It remains only to assess the condition of the cassette and determine which sprocket is out of order.
The outer sprockets can be removed immediately after the bicycle cassette has been removed. They are cleaned and carefully examined to assess the degree of wear. Worn out. replace.
How to remove sprockets from the rear wheel of a bicycle?
It is absolutely not difficult to disassemble the device for replacement, but you should be careful and have a couple of free hours in stock.
In some situations, the disassembler initially spends 15 minutes, and another person without the necessary skills can handle it in 1-2 hours.
That is why it is difficult to answer the question of how much time can be spent on a laborious process. In most, all stars have the same parsing method, since they have almost the same structure.
Helpful hints for parsing:
- How the parts are removed, in this order they should be installed. This advice will help from confusion and waste of extra time that can be spent remembering where a certain detail came from;
- After parsing, every detail needs to be inspected, perhaps it does not require replacement, but a banal cleaning is simply necessary.
For correct analysis, you should have an idea of how this happens and prepare tools that will help in such a simple work.
How to remove sprockets from the rear wheel of a bicycle?
If this is a ratchet, then everything will be a little easier. If there is special equipment, then even a person who has nothing to do with bicycles can cope with this.
This requires only 2 tools:
- special puller;
- adjustable wrench.
First, of course, you need to remove the wheel. Then the stars are removed in two steps. It is necessary to insert the puller into the ratchet, and then try to turn it counterclockwise with a key.
If the mechanism has never been removed, then it can twist strongly (such is its property) and not give in even under great efforts. Then you need to spray the miraculous WD-40 spray there from the thread side. If you leave it like this for a few hours, then the ratchet can be easily removed. It should also be remembered that the larger the lever, the greater the effort. Therefore, you need to take the largest adjustable wrench. Do a couple of jerks and the ratchet will unscrew easily.
You will need another tool to remove the cassette. It’s called a whip. This is a handle to which a piece of a bicycle chain is attached. If you turn the cassette counterclockwise, it will start to rotate. This is where this whip will come in handy, which will hold her. Some craftsmen simply use a piece of an old chain instead of this tool. Then everything is the same as when removing the ratchet.
If the ratchet does not unscrew, then the thread may have stuck. Try to spray the threads with brake fluid or anti-silicone. Sometimes you need to use a large lever. take a longer key, for example, a gas.
If the whip does not hold on to the cassette, then there is either a problem with the chain on the whip and it is worn out (then buy a new tool), or a problem with the cassette itself (the stars are worn out). In the second case, try to throw a whip on the stars that are least used when driving, as they are the least worn out.
How easy it is to install and remove thru-axle wheels
An increasing number of road bikes are equipped with thru-axle wheels. The advantages are increased rigidity between the frame, fork and wheels, and they make it easier to correctly align the wheels, especially if the bike uses disc brakes. Here’s how to remove and install thru-axle wheels.
The guide below shows what we think is the best way to install and remove bolted axle wheels. If there are other methods that you prefer, feel free to let everyone know in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев.
How to remove the front wheel to place the bike on a rack or in a car
Whether you’re mountain biking on local trails, packing your cruise bike for a trip to the beach, or taking your road bike with you on your family vacation, you may need to remove your front wheel to take the bike wherever you want. Removing the wheel from the bike will make it easier to fit in the rear of the car, and some bike racks require you to remove the front wheel before you can clip the bike to the rack. You will also need to know how to remove the wheel if you have a flat tire. Watch our video on how to remove and fix a bicycle tire.
How to quickly and easily remove the cassette from the rear wheel of a bicycle
The transmission of a bicycle needs regular inspection and maintenance, the chain or sprockets wear out the fastest. A poor system condition will shorten the life of the vehicle and make driving dangerous. Therefore, the question arises of how to remove the cassette from the rear wheel of a bicycle in order to replace it.?
To do this, you do not need to know the complete structure of the rear wheel, but it is worth reading information about it in order to understand the process of operation of this unit itself. Only after you have prepared theoretically, proceed directly to the dismantling process.
To remove the old part in the same way as when dismantling the ratchet, only 3 tools are required:
- a puller for a two-wheeled vehicle retaining ring. needed to unscrew the nut;
- The key whip is a tool with a bicycle chain. It is necessary to fix the position of the cassette, because dismantling occurs with a freely rotating wheel;
- adjustable or box wrench.
After you have prepared the necessary tool, proceed with the dismantling process. Detailed instructions on how to remove the cassette from the rear wheel of a bicycle are presented below.
- Remove the rear wheel of the vehicle. To do this, unscrew the nut holding the rear tire axle and pull out the brake mount. Then shoot the camera itself.
- Examine the cassette carefully for signs of damage or wear, decide that replacement is really necessary. Along with this, assess the condition of the bearings by shaking the axle in different directions. If there is a lateral clearance on the axle, they will soon need to be replaced. It is better to entrust this procedure to specialists, self-repair can be carried out only after a detailed study of the instructions.
- To dismantle a damaged cassette, place the wheel on a flat surface with the part up. Use a whip and a special puller: rotate the whip fixed to the largest sprocket, pointing the tool to the right. And the puller must be inserted into an available pass near the axis. [attention type = red] Important! Removing the cassette from the bike without a puller will be problematic. you will spend a lot of time and effort. [/ Attention] The thread on the ring with a dozen teeth is standard and unscrews counterclockwise. You will need a lot of strength to move the circle from its place, do not be intimidated by the grinding that occurs due to the locking teeth.
- After elimination of the stop ring, the cassette moves to the side and protrudes. It is highly likely that it will split into parts: individual stars, gaskets and other solid elements. [attention type = green] Tip! Remember the sequence of asterisks and other elements so that after removing them, return everything to its place. [/ Attention]
- Now replace the cassette, remember, the new bike rear wheel cassette should have the same gear ratio. All elements of the system are designed for certain indicators and any replacement of a part violates the overall balance of the device. Usually, the gear ratio is indicated on the cassette sprocket, you can also calculate it yourself by counting the number of teeth on the largest and smallest gear. these numbers are the desired indicator. Do not forget about the special spacers placed between the main parts.
- After fixing the sprockets in their original place, screw the ring and cassette. Do not use all your strength, the threads on the parts are shallow and rough operations can ruin it. The cassette is connected by a locking circle with special teeth that do not allow it to be unscrewed.
- After returning the ring to its proper position, tighten the nut securely and return the wheel to the rear fork of the bike. This step is similar to the first paragraph in the instructions, only the opposite is true.
It is known that the bike will not budge with faulty sprockets, periodically check their condition and change them in time. Often, along with the cassette, the chain also wears out. Therefore, assess its condition and, if necessary, tighten or shorten, and also lubricate without fail, since you could inadvertently erase all the substance from the metal surface.
This video provides instructions on how to remove the cassette on a bicycle.
How to disassemble a bicycle wheel with your own hands
What could be easier than replacing an old bicycle tire with a new one? This is what a novice cyclist thinks when he is about to do this procedure for the first time. And predictably faces difficulties, because catching the bend of a bicycle circle can be difficult. This requires experience, physical strength and knowledge of some secrets, which we will reveal today. But first, let’s look at situations in which you need to perform a parse.
When do you need disassembly?
Experience shows that rear tires deteriorate 3 times faster and more often than front ones. This happens because the rear wheels are the drive wheels of the bicycle. In addition, they carry a much greater load. Especially this skew is observed in bicycles equipped with rear brakes.
Important! Some cyclists swap front and rear tires, mistakenly believing that they can be straightened this way. In fact, wear is a natural and inevitable process. You can try to push it back a little in time, but it is not possible to prevent it completely with intensive driving. Tire damage can only be corrected in 2 ways: by gluing the tube or replacing it (if the bicycle tire is unsuitable for repair).
Externally, wear manifests itself in the form of hardening of the tire, loss of elasticity and subsequent cracking. The tire wears out prematurely due to a whole range of reasons, among which the following can be distinguished:
- adverse weather conditions;
- improper operation;
- low-quality bicycles with sharp edges;
- unfavorable road conditions;
- poorly tuned bike brakes;
- high humidity.
Important! It is not always possible to avoid the influence of these factors. If the tire is already worn out or damaged, it is necessary to resolve the situation by replacing or repairing it. To do this, the tires must be removed from the wheel. If you use the assembly blades, the process is greatly simplified.
The tire is most vulnerable to external mechanical impact if the wheel is not sufficiently inflated. Cracks on the tread are not dangerous. We list the types of tire damage:
- Bicycle tire cut in the side or in the middle due to collision with glass shards, pointed stones or parts of reinforcement.
- Puncture of a tire by a nail, tiny glass shard, or wire, most likely in worn tires or lightweight sports tires.
- Snakebite, so named because of the double hole formed by pinching the wheel tube when hitting an obstacle between the tire and the rim.
DIY step-by-step instructions for disassembling
- Remove the wheel by unscrewing the nuts that secure it to the bike frame. In modern bicycles, this can be done without much difficulty, since they are equipped with a quick release mechanism. In other cases, WD-40 will help.
- Disconnect the brake pads. When working with the rear wheels, you need to switch to lower gear and remove the chain from the sprocket.
- Press the valve on the nipple, lowering the wheel to the end. In the case of a tube tire, it is necessary to completely unscrew the nipple, pull the tube nipple out, and then remove the tire.
- Insert 2 mounting blades under the tire at intervals of 10-15 cm.
- Take 1 scapula and gently move it around the circumference in the opposite direction to the other scapula.
- Remove tire.
Important! After removing the tire, you need to make its external inspection, cameras and wheels for defects and damage, check if there are protruding spokes or other sharp objects on the rim that must be removed.
Benefits of using mounting blades
To remove a tire from a bicycle wheel without any tools at hand, you need to be an experienced bike mechanic. If you are not, then it makes sense to use edits. These are special plastic paddles sold as a set of several. Their main advantage is the material from which they are made. The fact is that the use of metal tools at hand (keys or screwdrivers) will most likely damage the rim or the camera cord. Mounting blades avoid such negative consequences. How to perform disassembly with its help, we will now find out.
Camera repair after dismantling
The tire is removed. Now the wheel needs to be checked. When damage is found, a decision is made as to whether the tubes and tires should be replaced or repaired. In the first case, to restore the integrity of the wheel, you will need a set of tools for the bicycle. The bicycle camera is glued as follows:
- pump a little air into the chamber and immerse it in water: air bubbles will be visible at the place of the hole;
- wipe the camera dry, clean the place of breakdown with sandpaper;
- smear glue on the breakdown site, glue a patch, place it under a press;
- after the glue has dried, carry out a control inflation of the tire, check if it does not allow air to pass through.
Now that we have made sure that the tube and tire are in order, we can proceed to the reverse process. bordering.
How to remove and change a wheel on a bicycle
Bicycle wheels are mounted on the frame: front. on the dropouts of the fork, the rear. on the dropouts of the feathers. Repair, cleaning and lubrication may require removal. There is no need to roll the bike to the service for this occasion, since everyone can remove the wheel from the bike right at home.
Why do you need to dismantle the wheels? As a rule, these are bulkheads of bushings, repair of spokes and rims, cleaning a bicycle and the notorious replacement of tires.
Removing the front wheel with rim brakes
Place the bike upside down on the saddle and handlebars before removing the wheel. Beforehand, all accessories. mirrors, headlights, bell, decorative elements. should be removed so as not to interfere with work and so as not to damage them. It is advisable to put a soft cloth under the sensitive shifters to avoid damaging them under the weight of the bike.
Briefly, the front wheel is removed according to the scheme:
- Release the rim brakes.
- Loosen the attachment to the dropouts.
- Carefully remove the axle from the legs.
It is necessary to release the brakes in order to easily pull out the wheel and not damage the system. To do this, squeeze the connecting bow and unscrew its fastening with a hex wrench. The brakes are now free. An alternative option is to remove the pads from the brake mechanism, however, after assembling the wheel, they will have to be adjusted again.
Wheel fastening on a bicycle is presented in two versions. nuts for 15 and an eccentric. To remove the axle from the dropouts on the nuts, you will need two keys. one will act as a worker, and the other as a retainer. Unscrew one nut counterclockwise while holding the opposite.
What can you use? Traditional open-end or spanner wrenches. The second option is even more convenient and easier to grab the nut. Adjustable wrenches with wide lips are not recommended for work, as they can eat the corners of the nuts.
With an eccentric, it is much easier. loosen the bolt and raise the locking lever. If the spring is not weak enough and the lever does not rise fully, loosen the bolt harder. Actually, removing a wheel at home is as easy as shelling pears.
In this section, the topic of removal with V-brakes was touched upon. With discs it is even easier, and even more so with singlespeeds with a kick drum on the rear hub. There is one limitation for a disc brake system with hydraulics. do not keep the bike upside down for too long, as the tubes become airy. That is, the wheel was removed and the bike was returned to its normal state for the time of repair or other manipulations.
Removing and installing tires
A tire breakdown on the move is an unpleasant phenomenon that can be found anywhere. Can even lower at home. You can’t ride, you have to change the camera, tire or all together. For a solution to the problem, you can contact the service, but in addition to money for a new consumable, they will also take on work. And why spend extra money and strain the master, when all the manipulations for removing and installing tires can be done independently? Let’s take a look at how to disassemble a bicycle wheel and assemble a tire. You will also have to remove the tires and put them back on when straightening the rim or replacing the spokes.
For work, you will need special plastic assemblies or two small shoe spoons. It is undesirable to use screwdrivers, as they can damage the rim.
- Fully deflate the tire (if removed to repair the rim, not replace).
- On the opposite side to the nipple, pry off the bead of the tire with assemblies and fasten them to the spokes. The distance between the blades is at least 20 cm. With the third assembly hook up the bead in the middle and pull it out of the rim.
- Remove the assemblies and pull the tire off the wheel. If there are only two blades, we fix one, the other is carried along the board, pulling it out.
- Pull the nipple out of the bore. On some models, it can be attached with an additional nut, then we twist it.
Now, when there is a new kit or the wheel is repaired, you need to put the tire back on, or fence:
- Pump up the chamber to 0.5 atm so that it takes a rounded shape and does not break.
- Insert the nipple into the hole, the chamber on the surface of the rim. It is important that it fits exactly the size of the wheel.
- Compress the tire beads and insert from the nipple side.
- Sequentially distribute the edges around the entire circumference with your hands.
- It will take some effort on the opposite side to push the bead down.
- Inflate the tire to the correct pressure and put the wheel on the bike.
How to Remove a Bicycle Dork Disk
It’s so easy to bend the wheel with your own hands.
How to correctly install the wheel and tighten the mount
The installation process in its rightful place is strictly opposite to dismantling:
- With regard to the forward rotation direction, insert the axle into the dropouts.
- Adjust position (for rear).
- Tighten nuts or eccentric.
On a bicycle, wheels are put on only with tires, otherwise it will not work to put the tires on the rims. Forward on an inverted bike. backward, look at the top. Arrow, feet and other pointers should point in this direction.
On rear dropouts, the axle position relative to the chainring can fluctuate, and its distance affects chain tension. The optimal position is recommended by the manufacturer, up to the stop. It is worth noting that the dropout adjustment of the rear wheel is valid for models with one gear and bicycles with planetary gear.
Tighten the nuts. Sometimes the mounts are equipped with additional washers-stoppers against axle rotation. If the manufacturer foresees this, we must put them. Next, the nuts on both sides are thrown by hand. Again we take two keys: on one side the nut is fixed, on the other side it is screwed. Then we go to the other side and tighten the mount all the way. The technical data sheet for the bike indicates the tightening torques for the fasteners. Following these guidelines will ensure uniform force distribution and optimal geometric integrity.
- Set axle to dropouts.
- Turn the bolt clockwise.
- Press the lever and fix the eccentric.
The locking lever should go with some effort and be free to drop to the end. If it folds too easily, you need to tighten the bolt, does not fall. loosen.
The wheel removal procedure is the first step to fixing rim defects and replacing tires on a bicycle. Changing tires or temporarily removing them with your own hands is just as easy, just take a little space and time.
How to remove and replace a ratchet on a bicycle
The ratchet mechanism is widely used on sprocket speed systems and includes rear sprockets, drum, ring and bearings. Integrated freewheel prevents the sprockets from spinning backwards, thus maintaining the direction of movement of both the sprockets and the chain.
A feature of the ratchet on a bicycle for high-speed cycling is its complete replacement in case of critical wear of the stars. The system is screwed onto the thread of the rear wheel hub, which is fundamentally different from the cassette. In addition, one worn sprocket can be replaced on cassettes, which cannot be done on a ratchet.
The mechanism is operated under dynamic conditions, which is why it will sooner or later become unusable. We will talk further about the signs of failure and how to remove and change the ratchet yourself.
Signs and causes of rear chainring problems
To begin with, let’s take a closer look at the ratchet mechanism of a multi-speed bike in more detail.
The pawl engages the rear wheel ratchet. The ratchet mechanism itself crackles slightly at the same time. This is the normal operation of the device. Otherwise, when there is no sound, it pulls the chain forward when driving idle.
The lack of engagement of the dog is usually associated with the malfunctioning of its spring, which pushes the dog. The following factors can serve as the reasons for the malfunction:
- absence or high density of lubricant in the mechanism;
- breakage of the dog itself;
- the spring is worn out;
- a large amount of dirt;
- part of the dog is inside the mechanism.
The chipped dog itself can still be repaired separately, but with its seat the situation is much more complicated. It should be noted that this type of fastening of transmission stars is inferior to a cassette in terms of reliability, since an axle breaking in half is far from uncommon. You will have to completely remove the ratchet and install a new one.
Removing the ratchet from the bike
It is not always possible to correctly see the malfunction when the ratchet mechanism on the bike itself is not always possible, so the best solution would be to disassemble it.
It will not be possible to remove the ratchet mechanism just like that, so we need a special tool. a puller. With this simple device, the ratchet will quickly be removed from its rightful place.
Before proceeding with the repair of the ratchet, it is necessary to correctly determine in which direction to unscrew the nut. It is not necessary to lean heavily to one side or the other, otherwise the thread of the sleeve can be rolled up. If the thread is right-handed, screw it up counterclockwise, and put it on clockwise.
Behind the nut is a row of balls, which can themselves fall out of the mechanism. They must be carefully removed, cleaned of dirt and set aside. The disassembled device is cleaned of excess grease and foreign particles with gasoline or thinner.
The same goes for transmission stars. If the stars of the entire system are not worn, and the problem is in the threaded ring, it should be pulled out of the drum and replaced. Along the way, the dog and the spring are changing.
After the bulkhead, the ratchet is put back on the rear wheel hub. To do this, you need to carefully place the bearing balls in their seats, firmly install the mechanism and tighten with a wrench on the bushing. If the ratchet does not work and there is an overshoot of the chain at idle, most likely a new part is needed.
- Remove the old mechanism. This will not work without a puller, do not forget a special key.
- Inspect the rear hub axle.
- Mount the new part on the bushing.
It is recommended to hang a new chain together with the ratchet so that there is no imbalance between the new sprockets and the worn chain. It is also useless to put the part on the damaged axle of the bushing itself.
If the output of the transmission mechanism is too high, it will be rational to supply a new spare part. In most cases, the problem of malfunctioning ratchets is solved by a simple bulkhead and cleaning from dirt. Finally, do not forget to lubricate the newly assembled parts.
Removing the front wheel from a bike?
Before starting dismantling work, it is necessary to determine the type of braking device. No prior action is required for disk hardware. For rim structures, the brake must be released before removing the wheel from the bike. The technology is similar for models of different companies: it is necessary to squeeze the pads and pull out the arc by unscrewing the screw holding it. The following actions can be divided into several stages:
- Turn the bike over with the wheels up. To avoid damage to the equipment, you can place a soft base. Prolonged exposure to disc models in this position may threaten air from entering the tubes, so all actions must be carried out quickly and accurately.
- Unscrew the nut or eccentric depending on the vehicle model.
- Pull upwards and remove the wheel from the mountings. Remember that when working with a disc brake, pressing the handle without a wheel may result in the pads being compressed.
After carrying out repair work, you need to install the spare parts back. This requires information on how to assemble a bicycle wheel? It is enough to carry out all the steps in reverse order:
- Insert into the mount, observing the directions of rotation.
- Secure with eccentric or nut.
- Flip to normal position.
- Install the rim brakes.
Cassette Removal and Installation
Observing all the points of the instructions, it is not at all difficult to master the disassembly and assembly of the wheel mechanism. After carrying out the work two or three times, a skill is acquired and the speed of the procedure increases.
How to remove a wheel from a bicycle and assemble a vehicle back?
Equipped with many parts, modern cycling models often frighten beginners, but with some knowledge, it is easy to learn how to assemble and disassemble yourself for minor repairs.
How to remove the rear wheel of a bike?
The technique for removing the rear wheel is similar to that for the front. The only difference is that you first open the brakes and remove the chain. After disconnecting, you need to stand behind the device, holding the hoop in the grooves. Bend the gear change lever slightly and raise the wheel. With the right action, the part will easily slide out of the mountings. When reassembling, you must first install the chain on the sprocket, and then fix the wheel.
Information on how to remove the rear wheel of a bicycle may be required to repair punctures, when replacing a spoke, rim, or the entire mechanism. A spare cyclist should have on hand a set of tools needed for minor repairs.
Did the article help you? Let us know in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев how helpful the instructions were.
How to remove the front wheel of a bicycle
Before removing a wheel, you need to see what kind of brakes you have. If disc, then you can immediately proceed to removing the wheel. If the brakes are rim brakes, then you must first release them to make it easier to remove the wheel. Every rim brake manufacturer has almost the same removal. It is enough to pull out the arc that connects the two pads, so the brakes can be released. And for this you need the upper arc, which holds the pads together, press them together and unscrew the screw that holds the wire arc.
After that, we move on to removing the front wheel. For this:
- We turn the bike upside down. It is important to do this carefully, so that the bike rests on the handlebar and seat. Various accelerometers, bicycle lights, bell and other sensors and instruments can be easily damaged on the handlebars. You can place a soft cushion or rags under the gear selectors to prevent scratching. If you have disc brakes with brake fluid piping to the brakes, then you shouldn’t keep your bike upside down for a long time. This will lead to the fact that air gets into the tubes and you will have to bleed the brakes. It is not difficult, but it takes time and the process will be laborious.
- Remove the front wheel. If the wheel is screwed on with a nut, as on a regular bicycle, then you need to unscrew it until the wheel freely comes out of the mounts. If the wheel is fixed to the rim with an eccentric, then it is enough to untwist this lever without tools and significant efforts. This mount is often found on mountain bikes and sport bikes.
- After that, we take out the wheel from the mounts.
It is important to remember that if you press the rim brakes without a wheel, it will compress the brakes and make it impossible to put the wheel back. Then you have to adjust the brakes again. But if you originally detached the rim brake arch, then compression will not occur.
Any experienced cyclist knows how to remove a bicycle wheel on his own. This action often has to be done when a wheel needs to be repaired, replaced with a tire, rim or spokes, or simply replaced with another, more reliable or new wheel.
However, on newer bikes with different derailleurs and many parts, it is very difficult to change the wheel for a beginner who can do something wrong and panic.
Let’s figure out how to remove the front and rear wheel of a bicycle on our own, together.
How to put the front wheel back
To put the wheel back, you need to do the same as when removing, but in reverse order:
- We put the wheel in the mount so that the rotation is not confused. The direction of rotation is written on the tire, but keep in mind that the bike is upside down. This is done in order to avoid when driving eights, because the wheel tire is arranged according to a special technology.
- We fasten the wheel with a nut or an eccentric firmly enough so that it does not fly back when driving.
- Flip the bike.
- Putting the brakes back as they were if you have rim brakes installed.
After that, you need to check the wheel: how it turns and whether it brakes correctly.
How to remove the rear wheel
Removing the rear wheel is as easy as removing the front. However, before removing the rear wheel from the mounts, you must first remove the chain from the axle, and also open the brakes so that they do not interfere.
How to put the rear wheel back
Replacing the rear wheel is done in the same way as installing the front wheel. However, when fitting the wheel, it is important that the chain fits correctly onto the sprocket. Therefore, first we put the chain on the sprocket and then we put the wheel on the mount. It is better to do this with gloves, because the chain will get your hands dirty and you will have to wash them for a long time.
If you suddenly think that the chain is twisted or tangled on the sprockets, then you do not need to remove the wheel again. It is enough to twist the chain back and forth with the pedals or by hand to make it lock into place. You can also move the gearshift mechanism, which is located in the chain mechanism, and then put on the released chain as you like.
If you have any difficulties in disassembling a bike, then you can read our article How to disassemble a bike.
When to shoot?
In most cases, removal of this transmission element is necessary when the cyclist wishes to carry out routine maintenance (usually in the spring or fall). Removal will also be required in case of severe wear of the teeth of the sprockets installed in the structure. Since the vast majority of ratchets have a non-separable design, replacement of new sprockets is impossible. they are riveted to each other.
It is urgent to dismantle the ratchet from the wheel if there is a situation when a sharp slip of the pedals is noted in the process of smooth pedaling. This effect is observed when the oil is incorrectly selected, when you prepared the bike for spring after storing it on the balcony in winter.
How to remove the rear ratchet?
Before removing the rear ratchet, the rear wheel must be removed from the frame. To do this, raise it, shift the rear derailleur to the last speed (remember that after completing the replacement procedure, you will need to check and correctly adjust the front derailleur), and then unscrew the eccentric or nuts (depending on the design of the hub). Next, carefully pull the wheel out of the frame, which should also be matched to your height.
The next step is to remove the axle from the wheel hub. Take two adjustable wrenches. with one hold the nut in a fixed position, the other. unscrew the other nut.
Practice shows that in most cases the bicycle owner is faced with a problem when the thrust nut has become attached to the ratchet body. To fix this problem, you need to use WD-40 spray. Spray the nut and let the wheel sit for five minutes. The liquid will corrode rust and dirt inside, after which you can safely remove the part from the sleeve.
As you can see, it is quite easy to remove this part. But before you disassemble the bike ratchet, we recommend that you get a special tool. Without it, given the design of the fasteners, it is almost impossible to dismantle the ratchet. After successful removal, you can proceed with further disassembly of the component, proceed with routine maintenance or replacement.
Required tools for removing the ratchet
It is quite simple to carry out the removal procedure yourself. All you need is to acquire the appropriate set of tools. So, before removing the ratchet from the wheel, you must use the following tools:
- special puller;
- an adjustable or wrench of 24 or 27 millimeters, depending on which model of the part is installed on your bike;
- a 15 mm open-end wrench, with which it is necessary to remove the bushing from the wheel;
- a L-key is also used, but in very rare cases;
- if the design provides for the presence of a nut, a center punch with thin edges will be required.
If the purpose of removal is routine maintenance rather than replacement, you will also need a non-lithium grease.
What is a ratchet?
If you frequently repair and service your bike, you might be wondering what is the difference between a cassette and a ratchet on a bike? The second is an integral part of the vehicle’s transmission, designed to change the pedaling effort. All modern ratchets are made of steel, since aluminum models tend to wear out, and given the pricing factor, the installation of this component is unprofitable for the manufacturer.
The cassette is installed on the bushing, it already contains a drum with pawls, which slides along the body when rolling. In other words, there is a mechanism inside, consisting of dogs (hooks), which, when the pedals are scrolled, catch on the protrusions on the body. When the cyclist stops pedaling, the force on the pawls is reduced to zero, causing them to slide over the toothed body. Removing the cassette yourself is much easier.
How to remove a ratchet from a bicycle wheel correctly without damaging the mechanism?
Manufacturers can install single or multi-speed transmissions on their bicycles. In the case of the latter category of nodes, a ratchet or cassette is installed on the rear wheel. Cassettes have a higher cost, since the ratchet is used mainly in budget class models.
It is quite simple to disassemble them at home. In this article, you will familiarize yourself with the main features of the process and learn how to remove the ratchet from a bicycle wheel quickly and with minimal effort.
To understand how to remove a ratchet from a bicycle wheel, you need to watch a useful video.
How to remove a secret without a key: basic methods
There are situations when motorists lose the keys to their locks, especially when installing all-season tires, when they may not touch the wheels for years and simply forget where they put the tool. In such cases, you should not despair, experienced craftsmen know several ways how to unscrew the lock on the wheel if the car owner has lost the head.
The most effective way is with the help of a constriction, but it only works if the key is lost and only one lock is installed on the wheel. The master completely tightens all the other nuts on this wheel to the maximum, as a result, the pressure on the lock is significantly weakened, after which he gently knocks on it from all sides. Next, the car is raised on a jack, all the bolts are removed, and the wheel remains on the hub exclusively with the help of a lock. The disc is gently loosened, and the secret begins to dangle, after which it can very simply be unscrewed by hand.
What to do for those owners who have lost the secret? Another tricky way to remove the nut is with a socket head. It is necessary to take a nozzle from the set, which will be half a diameter smaller than the outer part of the lock. Next, force the socket head onto the surface of the nut, and if it is made of mild steel, then, most likely, its surface will take the form of the inner part of the nozzle with edges.
After that, you need to take a torque wrench and, constantly monitoring the pressure on the knob, loosen the nut. The key is removed from the nozzle, and the whole structure is already easy to unscrew by hand.
How to unscrew the lock correctly and without damaging the wheel? The most common way to retrieve the secret is to contact the manufacturer’s service center, where, within a few days, engineers will be able to restore the key and make a duplicate. However, in the package with nuts, along with the key, there is a combination of numbers. a unique code by which the product is restored, and if it is also lost, then this procedure is impossible.
Masters at auto service stations often resort to conical extractors, with the help of which they dismantle the stuck bolts. a hole is drilled in the head of the fastener, a pin with a cone and notches is inserted into it, after which the master carefully unscrews the element that is dead fixed on the extractor.
One of the most exotic ways of extracting secrets is to freeze steel with liquid nitrogen, when it loses its strength and, after prolonged exposure to ultra-low temperatures, is simply smashed into pieces with a hammer.
Types of wheel locks
Secret. a nut on a car wheel disk, made of high-strength steel and having a special pattern for installing a key of a special design on it, made on the basis of a computer model in accordance with a digital code that is selected by the method of random variations. For the secrets of one brand, there can be several thousand key options, which are almost impossible to pick up.
Locks are sold in a set of 4 nuts and one key-attachment for manipulating them and are divided into the following categories:
- The most popular type is figured products, when the surface of their end is intended for a unique key, and any other tool does not tighten the secret nut without destroying it.
- A more progressive product is considered a lock with an eccentric or a movable ring, when they consist of two parts. an external, tightened one, and an internal one, which is centered relative to the axis of the stud on the hub. Even if the thief is able to loosen the thread, he will not be able to cope with the eccentric without a unique key, because the lock head will freely rotate around the main element.
- The most modern development in the field of wheel safety is the lock with special holes. Holes with a random set of diameters and depths are laser-engraved on the surface of the products, and the key has the same projections that correspond to the grooves on the nut. The complexity of the drawing will not allow you to make a high-quality impression for a duplicate or use a master key to steal a wheel.
Methods for removing the lock from the wheels without a key: how to unscrew
Many car enthusiasts put on their cars expensive alloy or forged wheels with a designer grille filling and chrome coating. Such products are often popular among criminals who strive to dismantle wheels from a car left unattended. Vehicle owners, trying to secure the wheels, use locks that can only be unscrewed with a special key with a unique code. Often this key is lost by the owners as it is unnecessary for frequent use, and in such a situation people find themselves in a dead end. They just don’t know how to remove a wheel lock without a key.
Common mistakes of owners when dismantling the lock
Removing a wheel with a lock without using a key is a procedure that is not repeated too often in life, and an ordinary car enthusiast rarely manages to complete it without a single mistake. When using one of the above tools for removing wheel nuts, you can often damage the wheel, or even the hub, the brake system and, as a result, pay very big money for repairing the entire structure.
First of all, if you act with a banner, car owners may have some problems, in particular:
- Tightening conventional nuts too tight can cause the threads to break on the studs or on the fasteners themselves.
- Wheel loosening on a vehicle can deform the studs, rim, or hub, leading to costly repairs.
- After all the manipulations, the desired result may not be achieved, because the nut will not loosen.
- If 2 locks are installed on the wheel at once, then this procedure for their removal is impracticable.
- Removing the lock with this procedure is not 100% guaranteed.
Removing the lock after freezing
When a master works with a socket head, you need to remember that the tool will most likely be damaged, and if it fits on the lock, then after unscrewing it, it will be almost impossible to remove the tightly fitting fasteners from the socket head without damaging the head.
When working with a conical extractor, you should be aware that the hole in the element head must be centered, otherwise it will be extremely problematic to remove the element. At the same time, it is also difficult to drill another hole next to the existing one, and, most likely, some other method will have to be used to dismantle the lock.
If the owner bought a can of liquid nitrogen and is going to apply it to the lock, this should be done with extreme caution, since there are the same steel elements with a similar chemical composition around the nut. This means that applying the substance not to the very tip of the nut head, but spraying it on neighboring parts can also lead to fragility, and sometimes even to the destruction of the disc itself, hub or other elements. In addition, other wheel bolts may break. And what should the owner do if he tore off the lock, how can the wheel be turned off after that? We’ll have to go to the service station.
Installing locks on expensive wheel rims is a classic procedure, as a result of which none of the disks will be removed by intruders, because when monitoring a crime scene, they usually bypass such cars by the side, because the wasted time dismantling secret nuts can be useless not lead, and the risk of getting caught is too great. In such cases, the car owner is more at risk of a radio tape recorder forgotten in the cabin than a wheel.
However, it must be remembered that the key to the nuts should be stored exactly where it is easy for the owner to find it, in order to subsequently avoid serious difficulties with the use of artisanal methods for removing the locks. If, nevertheless, this happened, then the car owner needs to abandon the operation of the car for a few days and still contact an authorized remote customer service center from the manufacturer of security systems, present the code, and then pick up the restored tool, and only in this case he 100% guarantee of safety of all parts of his iron horse is provided.