How to quickly learn to ride a bike?
Many people abandoned cycling as adults and now they just forget how to do it. Some have never ridden for various reasons: there is no money for a bike, then there is no place for it. If a person wants to skate, but finds various reasons, for example, “I have poor coordination,” “I never did it,” “I can’t keep my balance,” then the problem here is far from physical capabilities, but psychological preparation.
Let’s put psychological problems aside and consider the main question: how to learn to ride a bike.
Learn on your own
In fact, no teachers are needed to teach cycling, you can quickly learn on your own. Sometimes, especially for adults, it is better to carefully and calmly learn to ride without witnesses than to listen to NOT the most flattering comments of your friend, boyfriend or coach. After all, for most people it is “sat down and went”.
Many authors identify from 5 to 15 steps to master the bike. Here is one of the options:
1. Understand the work of all mechanisms. The front and rear brakes are especially important, we will learn how to switch speeds later.
2. Sit on the bike and try to balance with the brake applied. It will not work, but it will allow you to feel some balance point on the bike, which is what is required.
3. We start to move without pedaling. we make a scooter out of a bicycle, pushing off with our feet. It is advisable to learn to ride in balance, without resting your feet on the ground. A small slope or fairly flat asphalt will help with this. It is important to slow down first, and then stand with your feet on the ground, otherwise you can get injured.
4. Learn pedaling. First with one foot. We set the speeds, if any, to 2-4 (middle of the range), sit down on the bike. We expose the pedal at 45 degrees up and forward and press with one foot in the lower position. We roll similarly to the previous point, we stop. We repeat to automatism with each leg.
5. Synchronize the legs. repeat the previous exercise, but continuously. It will NOT work right away, it will take a long practice. Don’t forget about balance!
6. We consolidate the driving skill, starting the turns, first smoothly to the left and right, it is important to feel the tilt when turning. This is the norm when riding.
7. The final exercise is a reversal. After it works out, we begin full-fledged skiing: Driving 100-200 meters, we turn around, accelerate and brakes.
So you know how to ride! The next task is the correct gear shifting, but this is already a topic for a separate lesson.
Teach the child
Children are usually taught to ride from an early age. Even before one year old, children can use toys with wheels, and at 1.5-2 years old, they can ride a tricycle. At 4 years old, you can start practicing on a two-wheeled bike. At first, you can use additional wheels, but it is better to choose a runbike for training. a small analogue of a children’s bicycle without pedals and brakes. By the age of 10-12 you can switch to a full-fledged teenage bike.
Teaching a child requires constant attention and great responsibility:
- It is required to monitor Not only the riding technique, but also the posture, breathing of the child.
- You can’t work out after eating. it’s doubly hard.
- Limit loads. Up to 13 years old. no more than 10-15 km, a teenager under 15 years old. no more than 20.
Teach an adult
It is difficult for an adult to teach, he easily maintains his balance, but in unforeseen situations he is usually very tight, and falls are not only physically dangerous, but also undermine the learning process, since adults are psychologically vulnerable.
You should never hold the bike or give advice frequently. The main part of the learning process is a physical sense of balance and capabilities. A “coach” is only needed to explain the basics and, possibly, provide the most correct feedback on the results of the exercise. However, the most comfortable for adults is self-study.
First of all, you need to prepare accessories and the bike for riding.
What can be useful for riding:
- Special comfortable but closed shoes.
- Sportswear that wicks away sweat (you will be very tired from habit).
- Warm clothes if it’s less than 25 degrees Celsius outside.
- Cycling Gloves.
- Protection: knee pads, elbow pads, bicycle helmet.
Protection and shoes are a must for beginners as falls can happen even to the most talented riders.
Next, you should set up the bike, especially if we are teaching a child or a girl.
- Adjusting the brakes and switches. learning from “loose” mechanics is too difficult.
- Set the saddle slightly below the standard so that it is convenient to get up from it.
- Adjust the height of the handlebars, if possible.
- Remove unnecessary accessories from the bike as much as possible (bike computer, bell, etc.).
Excellent. Both the learner and the bike are now ready for lessons.
Now let’s move on to general recommendations for behavior while driving a bicycle.
- You should psychologically prepare yourself for the fall and failure. Cycling is about practice and persistence.
- Balance is easier to maintain at speed, so don’t drive too slow.
- The steering wheel should be held without tension, but it should not be released either.
- Do not bend your feet and knees, this leads to quick fatigue.
- All movements should be smooth and smooth.
- Harsh braking is prohibited.
In fact, learning to ride a bike is very easy at any age. The main thing in this business. Get ready for a fairly long practice, because the “sat down and went” scheme is only in the minds of those who already know how. The child should be looked after and bought bicycles (or balance bikes) by height and age, and for adults, the main thing is to understand the general recommendations and have time for practice.
How to train to keep balance?
Keeping balance is the main challenge for a young cyclist. To teach him this skill, you can do the following exercises:
- Resisting the slopes. The child is seated on a seat and begins to gently tilt the bike, first in one direction, then in the other. The task of the baby is to straighten the leg and rest it against the ground on the side of the slope. So learning to resist the fall.
- Repulsion from the support. Some children cannot immediately step on the pedals and start spinning them in order to set the vehicle in motion. Therefore, exercise with support can help them. the crumb stands near the curb, puts 1 foot on the pedal, and the second pushes off and begins to turn them abruptly.
At the same time, the adult must insure the student.
Raise the saddle a little higher
Now that the child will no longer push off the ground, you need to adjust the height of the seat so that it is convenient to pedal. To begin with, you can make a compromise and set the saddle so that the baby barely touches the ground with his feet and in case of a fall he can lean on.
How to teach slows down?
It is very important that the child can stop the movement in time with the brake. To do this, you should begin to teach him this art on a flat road or smooth descent. At the same time, it should be explained that it is necessary to slow down smoothly, but confidently. In this case, you can use both the hand (for the front wheel) and foot (for the rear wheel) brake.
Prepare your bike
If your bike has attachment wheels, the first step is to remove them. They do more harm than good because they keep the child from feeling balanced. Ideally, it teaches you to ride on two wheels at once, otherwise you will have to relearn later, and this is more difficult.
Next, dismantle the pedals from the cranks so that they DO NOT interfere with training to maintain balance, pushing off the ground. Remember that in the left pedal there is a left thread. we turn it off with a wrench clockwise, and in the right one. a normal one, right, and you need to turn it counterclockwise. Then the pedals will need to be reinstalled. Problems should not arise, usually there are labels L and R.
And the final touch is the saddle height. Loosen the fasteners and adjust so that the sitting child reaches with both feet in the ground. In other words, could walk on a bicycle.
Use of a running bike to a bicycle
A runbike (or a balance bike) helps to prepare the kid for learning to ride a big bike. Such vehicles appeared relatively recently and quickly gained popularity among children of primary school age.
Many experts refer to the runbike as a cycling trainer. Its main difference is the absence of pedals, which often interfere with the baby in the first workouts. Such a vehicle contributes to the development of the ability to maintain balance.
The runbike is somewhat reminiscent of a scooter.
Driving principle. the baby pushes off the ground and rolls by inertia. At the same time, he firmly holds the steering wheel so as not to fall to the ground, and at the same time controls it.
A huge advantage of a run bike over a bicycle is safety. The child’s feet are constantly on the ground, which prevents the possibility of falling. Therefore, if the baby manages such transport well, then it will not be difficult for him to master the bicycle. After all, he already knows how to control the steering wheel and maintain balance, it remains only to quickly pedal.
Train your child to keep balance
The kid’s task is to learn to ride without pedals, pushing off the ground with his feet. He has to sit on the bike, grab the steering wheel with his hands and, having made a push, ride a couple of meters. Explain that he needs to accelerate and then lift his legs and roll.
This removes pedaling from the equation and allows the child to focus solely on balance. And this greatly simplifies the task.
Do not forget to insure and encourage your child, even if he is not doing very well.
After 30-50 minutes of training or the next day, when the baby is already confidently keeping balance, you can learn to pedal.
Preparing to learn to ride a bike
For the training to be successful, and the baby quickly learns to ride a bicycle, it is necessary to properly prepare. To do this, parents should choose a bike that is appropriate for the age and characteristics of the child, take care of protection, check the physical and mental readiness to ride.
Choosing a bike and protection for a child 6 years old
Choosing the right bike is important for your child to ride comfortably. In this case, the following characteristics should be taken into account:
- Ease. To make it NOT difficult for a child to lift the bike, it must be light. The maximum allowable vehicle weight is up to 10 kg, but it is better to choose a lighter one (6-8 kg).
- Small wheel diameter. Beginner rider wheels DO NOT have to be Huge as this could lead to a fall.
The optimal wheel diameter is 12-14 inches.
Protective equipment should be purchased before the first training session. At the same time, the child should be explained their importance and needs. otherwise the young racer will simply refuse to wear a helmet or knee pads. Also, it will not be superfluous to check how well the parts are fixed. whether they dangle, and do not rub, and whether they cause discomfort to the baby.
How to teach a child to ride a two-wheeled bike at 6 years old
A 6-year-old child already knows and can do a lot. So it’s time to teach him how to ride a 2-wheeled bike. At the same time, you need to teach him how to maintain balance, as well as timely and correctly brake.
Cool pedals and brakes
At the very beginning of the training, you must put the baby’s feet on the pedals and show him in motion how to twist them.
On a two-wheeled bike, you can try to show your child how to feel transport:
- Try to maintain balance, rather than moving from the spot, lifting your legs off the ground and keeping them in the air;
- Ride a bike simply by pushing off the ground with your feet and leaning on them, without using the pedals;
- Practice boarding a vehicle and stopping it. show your child how to throw your leg over the seat and gently sit on the bike, and after stopping, get off the bike correctly, slightly tilting towards yourself and leaning your foot into the ground;
- Do not forget in proper braking. the baby should know that he can stop when he starts pedaling in the opposite direction, since most bicycles have a foot brake, practice this skill with the child and make sure that after braking he immediately lowers his foot to the ground.
To help children get used to it faster, try various maneuvers with them, come up with interesting routes, go around obstacles, etc.
How to teach you to ride correctly and in the right place
- Choose the teaching methodology that suits you in order to follow it clearly and step by step.
- DO NOT hold the saddle of the bike, because this way you will adjust the tilt of the transport instead of the child.
- Also, do not hold on to the wheel. if you steer the baby, it will prevent him from feeling balance and balance.
- It is recommended to be on the side of the bike or to run behind it, slightly holding the child by the shoulders.
- DO NOT direct the direction of travel and DO NOT indicate where to go. give your baby freedom of choice so that he feels comfortable and enjoys riding.
- Choose large, good areas for learning or an open area without cars, dogs or a large number of people, because the child will not drive in a straight line or in a circle all the time, but will want to play around.
- Keep in mind that it is more difficult to drive on grass or ground from hummocks and holes, so it is better to give preference to a normal Smooth asphalt surface. To begin with, slides or mountainous terrain will also be inappropriate.
In this, the author tells in stages about his own experience of teaching a child to ride a bike.
When to start learning?
Many, for certain, already do not remember how they themselves learned to ride a bike. However, it is not for nothing that they say that this skill will never be forgotten. even if you have NOT skated for many years, it will be enough to sit in the saddle and put your feet on the pedals for muscle memory to work.
It is much easier for a child to learn something than an adult, because he perceives faster and grasps everything almost on the fly, and remembers, absorbs new information into himself, like a sponge.
Therefore, some apologists for early development Insist on putting the baby on a bicycle almost from the moment he started walking, skips all kinds of belayings and supports in the form of a tricycle vehicle or additional wheels in order to immediately start training a child on a two-wheeled bicycle.
But this approach has many opponents, since, firstly, everything has its time, and secondly, if a too small child falls and hits hard or gets scared, then he may NOT want to get on a bike at all and will be afraid to ride. So it is better not to rush and act gradually, focusing on the capabilities and desires of your child.
According to average developmental indicators, learning should be started depending on age:
- The first acquaintance of a kid with a tricycle can take place at the age of one and a half to two years. as a rule, it will be transport with a special handle for parents, a support for the child’s feet and numerous additional devices, such as an umbrella or a canopy over the bike, baskets for things in front and behind, built-in musical toys, etc.
- Sometimes the child perceives the previous mode of transport as another means of transportation, like a second stroller, and the pedal does not even want to try, preferring to put his feet on a stand out of habit.
- If you want the child to start making at least the first attempts, try to be interested in him. let the child first play with the bike, try to control the steering wheel on his own, drive his vehicle, ride, perhaps twist the pedals with the handle.
- After mastering the tricycle, when the child learns to steer and pedal, the turn of the two-wheeled bike comes, only with additional suspension wheels. this moment comes NOT earlier than three and a half, and in some children. even four years, because it is also necessary for the baby’s muscles to get stronger abs, back and legs.
- Many parents skip the stage of training with support from additional wheels and immediately put their child on a regular two-wheeled bicycle. if your child has trained on a three-wheeled vehicle before, then with your help he may well succeed.
- A child is quite easily able to master riding a two-wheeled bicycle, if he has already learned how to steer and slow down correctly, knows how to turn his transport around if necessary, keeps his balance perfectly. in active and physically developed children this happens by the age of four to six years.
However, remember that it all depends on the individual development of your child. And in no case do they force the kid to study or ride, based on some comparisons with other children.
How to ride and take precautions?
It is almost impossible to avoid falls and injuries during training and subsequent independent skiing. Sometimes a severe bruise or an unexpected “flight” from the transport can frighten a child so much that he will refuse riding lessons and cycling in general for a long time.
To keep your baby as safe and secure as possible, take all possible precautions:
- Provide the little rider with full gear.
You should wear a helmet or a special helmet on your head, like in professional cyclists, and a protective set of knee pads and elbow pads on your hands and feet.
- Choosing equipment, the outcome is not only of her beauty or preference for color.
Be sure to measure the circumference of the child’s head before buying a helmet in order to fit it in size, also check whether it is adjustable, whether the model has a visor, whether it has normal breathability, how light and comfortable it is for the baby.
- Knee and elbow pads.
They also MUST be child-friendly and made from lightweight quality material.
- Sometimes it is recommended to wear also cut-off gloves.
This is necessary to protect the palms and hands.
- Look for shoes suitable for training and riding.
Its sole should be wide enough to provide “traction” with the pedals, also check if the shoe wraps around the baby’s foot. Do NOT learn to ride carefully or in sandals, as when the foot slips, the child will hurt toes.
- The transport itself cannot be bought for growth.
If the baby does not even reach the ground with his feet, then he will simply be afraid to ride, therefore, both the model and the size of the bike must fully correspond to the age of your child.
- Prepare your baby’s bike.
Adjust for him, his height, seat and steering wheel.
- Be sure to educate your child about possible road hazards.
Give him a few lessons on the rules of safe behavior on the road, show him where cyclists can ride, introduce him to road signs and traffic lights.
Over time, the baby will learn not only to ride, pedaling and looking forward, but will also be able to look around, will see his goal and know how to make the right route to it, will be able to at the same time Keep track of what surrounds him: other cyclists, objects, trees, animals or people on the way, cars, etc.
Recommendations on how to teach a child to ride a bike, how to pedal and not be afraid to go on two wheels.
Two-wheeled bicycle. the first adult transport for a child
The transition from a two-wheeled vehicle with safety wheels to a regular bicycle, as already mentioned, occurs smoothly and gradually: the child gets used to maintaining balance, learns the basics of control, learns little by little the skills necessary for riding.
If you want to teach your kid to ride a two-wheeled vehicle right after a three-wheeled vehicle, then you will have to act differently.
Conquering the fear of failure and fall
This psychological moment is very important, so do not underestimate it.
Do not force your toddler to roll or try to teach him unwillingly. So surely nothing will come of it.
- The best motivation for a child is your own example, because only by looking at their beloved dad or mom, Who ride a bike easily and beautifully, children can understand how great and fun it is, which means they will want to learn how to ride like that.
- Be prepared for the fact that the child may be afraid. This is completely normal, especially if you are also afraid or worried about him, I perceive every failure or fall as a huge tragedy.
- Do not criticize or scold the child, rather than Comparing him to other children. let him make his own mistakes and gain some experience.
- Reasonable care, your presence and protection will help the baby feel safe. Support and encourage him, let the child know that you believe in him and be proud of his success.
Tricycle: expediency and features of training
Those who DO NOT take this mode of transport seriously are mistaken on one important point. The fact is that a tricycle can become a wonderful Alternative for a child, who recently learned to walk confidently.
After all, you won’t put a one and a half year old baby on a two-wheeled vehicle, right? But you can get acquainted with a three-wheeled model.
Of course, at first the baby will just sit, and it is not a fact that even holding the wheel. But then little by little he will get used to it and will definitely want to know how and why the wheels turn, what will happen if the steering wheel is returned, how the pedals turn, etc. Be sure to use this interest to start the learning process.
At first, for example, in winter, you can roll the child around the apartment. then by the warm season he will already feel more confident with the transport on the street. Sitting on the seat, the baby should stand with his feet on the ground and be able to slightly bend his knees. In this case, the bike suits him.
Your first task is to teach your kid to control the steering wheel. To do this, it is necessary to show the child how the direction of movement changes when the steering wheel is turned. Help him to stand with one foot on the support located on the rear axle of the vehicle and start steering, pushing off with the other foot. You can also roll the mouse or other favorite toy, put it on the seat and roll the bike behind the wheel.
It may take some time to master the steering, after which it will be the turn to become familiar with the pedals. It is necessary to proceed to the next stage of training only when the kid clearly understands and remembers that the bike turns and goes in the direction in which the steering wheel is turned.
Here’s how to define a task for a child and show him what to do:
- Install the drive wheel in a suspended position;
- With your own hands, put the child’s feet on the pedals and rotate them several times. the baby should become interested and try to make a couple of turns on his own;
- Since it is much easier to spin the wheels in the air, very soon the child should succeed, and after a while he will start pedaling with the same ease on the road.
To make it more interesting for the child to learn, and also there was some kind of incentive, bring him to the place where other children are learning to ride or are already skating, preferably his peers.
How to quickly teach how to ride a bike: basic techniques
If you want to immediately teach your kid to ride a two-wheeled bike without using safety wheels, then a step-by-step technique can help you, thanks to which the child quickly learns to keep balance, it will be easy for balancers and will master the rest of the skills he needs.
- Mastering the ability to stick out the leg.
To do this, we teach the baby to climb onto the transport and get off it. All that needs to be done is simply to tilt the bike, first in one direction, and then in the other, so that the child puts the leg on the ground exactly on the side with which there is a tilt. The kid must understand that by putting his foot out and leaning on it, he will keep the vehicle from falling.
- Learning to keep balance.
Show your child the cycling exercises described earlier for a sense of balance and balance. You can also offer him to put his feet on the pedals, and when the transport starts to fill up, remind him that you need to put his foot to the side of the slope. Support and help if the need arose.
- We use the brake.
Often, children simply brake with their feet on the ground or even jump off the seat. This is extremely dangerous. Show your child how to use the foot brake, but he doesn’t need a hand brake yet.
- Bring the bike and ask the kid to slow down.
When he hits the brake, I release the vehicle. Once again, emphasize that you need to make sure that the child immediately after braking rests with his foot in the ground. Sometimes it is recommended to even remove the pedals from the vehicle and learn balancers and brakes without them.
- Steep pedals.
Hold the bike by the seat while your toddler learns to pedal.
- The child drives by himself, but with support.
Push it a short distance and catch it when braking.
- The child rides alone and without support.
If you see that the child is already quite confidently handling the transport, I let him go further, and you yourself are just nearby in order to have time to insure in a pinch.
Runbike as a lifeline
The second teaching method claims that the process can be much faster and easier if you use a run bike first.
A runbike, or the so-called runbike, is an improved version of the old horse toys and other rocking chairs. Outwardly, it looks like an excellent transport, and looks like a bicycle: the runbike has a full-fledged steering wheel, a seat, two wheels, but no pedals, so the baby will have to push off with his feet from the floor to ride.
With the help of a runbike, children very quickly master the basics of cycling, develop a sense of balance and learn to steer. When changing transport to a two-wheeled serious bike without safety wheels, you will only have to teach the child to pedal.
Here’s how you can do it, with a minimum of time and effort:
- Take a bike and unscrew one pedal in it.
- Lower the transport seat so that the baby can reach the floor with his feet.
- Show your child how to ride a bike like a scooter, pushing off with one foot and holding the other on the remaining pedal. Both hands should hold the steering wheel while maintaining balance.
- Explain the principles of braking to your child using the same single pedal.
- Leave the seat at the same level, but screw the second pedal back on. Take your child on a slightly sloped bike path.
- Driving down the hill, the kid reflexively needs to understand that it is necessary to put his feet on the pedals and twist them.
- Since the child already knows how to keep balance and control the steering wheel thanks to the runbike, it will take very little time to consolidate the pedaling skill.
- When the baby is confidently pedaling, you can raise the seat to the desired level.