Rear derailleur setting
You can only adjust the rear derailleur after you have configured the front derailleur. The bike must be secured so that you can freely pedal and change speeds. Alternatively, turn the wheels upside down and fix it on the steering wheel.
Turn on the fastest speed (smallest star). Loosen the cable by unscrewing the mount. Move the cable tension grandmother to the middle position so that you can loosen and tighten the cable. The adjustment of the rear device is carried out, as in the case of the front derailleur, with the High and Low screws. The High screw is set first. You need to find such a position in which the chain will be tuned exactly to the star, and will not slip and bounce on it.
Old Shimano Mountain Bike shifter replacement
Then shift the gear to low (the largest sprocket) and repeat all the manipulations with the Low propeller. The setting should bring the chain straight over the sprocket. After setting up the rear device, you will need to tighten the roller. Set the front derailleur to the smallest chainring, the rear derailleur to the largest. Rotate the pedals back and watch if the roller hits the cassette. Adjust the roller with the tensioner bolt. After this setup, test it “in the field”. that is, in real driving. Try rolling on a flat surface, over bumps, or downhill. Pay close attention to how the bike behaves. Adjust the switches if necessary by adjusting the granny or screws.
If you are a keen cyclist, you will certainly have to face the need to install or adjust the front derailleur on your bike. You may need this for a variety of reasons. For example, the shifting system will need to be replaced or the cable will stretch. We will tell you about the correct implementation of this procedure in this guide.
If you have to install a new switch or are preparing to configure an already installed system, before proceeding, you need to check a number of parameters.
It is necessary to inspect the system and check for backlash or damage. It so happens that after prolonged use on some parts, for example, a guide frame or parallelogram, gaps form. And also parts, especially the frame, can get damaged and bent from loads and falls. This can cause problems when adjusting your bike’s front derailleur.
Be sure to thoroughly clean all parts of the device from dust and other dirt, then apply grease. First of all, it is necessary to lubricate all moving parts of the device, namely the springs and the parallelogram itself. If necessary, you can remove the shifting system from your vehicle’s frame. These actions will also contribute to a better visual inspection, which was discussed in the previous paragraph.
And it is also necessary to clean the switch cable and check its integrity. If the cable is very dirty, you can detach it from the fixing bolt and pull it out, but it can also be cleaned without removing it. Then, inspect the cable for broken strands. Then, if everything is in order, the cable also needs to be lubricated.
It is required that the rear derailleur has already been tuned as it is used as the master during tuning.
To set up a Shimano front derailleur, you need the following set of tools: a screwdriver, a set of hex wrenches, and a pair of pliers. The main task here is to correctly set the speed device at the beginning of the setup.
When the device is set up correctly, the bike chain can only travel 1-2 mm from the chain toggling it. The frame moves both horizontally and vertically during gearshifts.
When adjusting the front derailleur, make sure that the frame is parallel to the chainrings. When the device is set to the largest sprocket (i.e. set to the highest speed), the distance between the ends of the sprocket teeth and the bottom of the frame should be about 3 mm. Shimano derailleur height and rotation are easy to adjust. just loosen the mounting bolt using the polyhedron. Adjust the position of the device, but do not tighten the bolt. you may need to move the device during the setup process. Now you can start setting up. Set the speed to the lowest. Unscrew the cable holder and release it. Then unscrew the cable tension grandmother until it stops and return it 1-2 turns back.
Now set the speed to maximum. You need to get the position of the device at which the gap between the chain and the part of the frame farthest from the frame will be minimal. This is done with the High screw. Rotate it, making sure that the device itself does not move.
Then test the speed control. To adjust the rear derailleur of the Shimano bike up and down, you can twist the grandmother, if the chain comes off the stars. turn the bolts: High. if with a large sprocket, Low. if with a small.
How to set up gear shifting on bike video
A switch is a capricious thing and needs adjustment from time to time. This video details how to test and adjust the rear derailleur on a speed bike. Of the tools. only a screwdriver for adjusting screws. After each setting, we check the switches. Repeat the procedure if necessary. If the switch is not adjustable, tighten or loosen the cable on the shifters.
Close-up instructions on how to adjust the front derailleur on a speed bike. The procedure will not take more than 10 minutes in time, but it will save you from problems with gear shifting when riding a bicycle. Happy trips!
Adjusting bike speeds is a delicate matter, and you can have your iron horse sent to a special service. But it’s better to learn how to do it yourself, especially since this skill is extremely useful, and there is nothing complicated in it. How do I set up a Shimano derailleur on my bike? Shimano Deore shifting is used as an example for the following instruction, as it is the most popular.
Let’s start ”to install and configure
After all the initial activities, it’s time to figure out how to adjust the front derailleur on your bike.
- Correct positioning of the device must be performed first. The correct position is that the longitudinal axis of the guide frame must be parallel to the chainrings. The distance from the very bottom of the frame to the largest sprocket should not be more than 2 mm, and at the same time it should not cling to the teeth. During alignment, the parallelogram is folded away from the frame towards the largest star. Positioning will be easier with the chain removed. Many branded switches have a special sticker with level markings for easy installation.
- We slightly tighten the bolt that fixes the clamp, and once again check the location of the guide frame. If everything is in order, tighten the bolt to the end.
- We have completed the installation, now we have to set up the front derailleur on the bike. The easiest way to do this is on a bike with the rear wheel up. To achieve this, the vehicle can be suspended from the saddle or otherwise secured.
- Let’s start by setting the lowest speed. Keep in mind that the cable must be free when doing this. We adjust the cable tension by twisting it all the way, then return it a few turns back. Often the adjustment is tightened to the end, but a small margin of tension is required for fine adjustment.
- We also set the lowest speed on the rear derailleur. It is necessary that you have the first speed set both in front and behind.
- We expose such a position of the limiting bolt L, in which the inner part of the guide frame is located as close as possible to the chain, but does not cling to it when pedaling. If you need the frame to move towards the bike frame, rotate the stop counterclockwise and vice versa.
- Reinstall the cable, and then tighten the fixing bolt. Twist by hand, no need to use pliers.
- Now shift the gears so that the chain is set to the largest sprocket at the front and the smallest sprocket at the rear. Adjust the second stop bolt H. Now you need to ensure that the outer part of the guide frame is as close to the chain as possible, but does not cling to it while driving. To move the frame towards the bike frame, rotate the stopper clockwise, and vice versa.
- Now we have to adjust the front derailleur of the bicycle. Set the rear derailleur to fifth gear. Then, while rotating the pedals, change the speeds of the front derailleur over the entire range (3. 2. 1. 2. 3). Repeat the procedure two or three times, then set the second speed in front and start shifting reverse gears. It is necessary to ensure that the chain does not rub against the guide frame in the following positions: 2. 2 and 2. 7. If friction is present, the cable tension must be additionally adjusted. If there are problems with the transition from a larger chainring to a smaller one, it is necessary to release the tension, and if difficulties arise when changing from a smaller chainring to a larger one, increase.
Adjusting the bike speed switch
The first step is to understand how this device works if you want to understand how to set up the front derailleur. The function of this device is to move the bicycle chain to the desired chainring. As the gear shifts from a larger chainring to a lower chainring, the tension in the cable is reduced, causing the spring to pull the parallelogram along with the guide frame towards the frame of your vehicle. The frame with its outer side presses on the chain, and it goes to a sprocket with a smaller diameter. The reverse process is carried out in the same way. Stretching, the cable moves the parallelogram together with the frame in the opposite direction. The frame presses on the chain and throws it onto a large star.
As you can see, a well-tuned switch is a simple and reliable device. The correct setting of the limiters is of great importance, since the parallelogram rests against them, reaching the extreme positions. If the position of the limiters is not set correctly, the chain will constantly jump from the right place.
Adjusting screws on the switch
Despite the variety of parallelogram switches sold, the principle of their operation is the same, and therefore, they have a similar design. Usually they all have 5 adjusting elements:
- Embedded bolt with nut for fastening the cable.
- Hollow screw with cable tension drum.
- Thrower travel stop screw to largest sprocket. denoted by letter L.
- Thrower travel stop screw to smallest sprocket. marked with H.
- Chain tension screw.
How to Replace a Bicycle Grip Shifter
Some inexpensive derailleurs may not have a cable tension drum and chain tension screw. But there is an adjusting drum on the steering wheel shifters. So you can adjust the tension of the cable directly in motion, without forgetting to throw the chain onto the smallest sprocket.
Cables and shirts
Sometimes an amazing result is obtained by simply cleaning the cables and shirts, as well as their subsequent lubrication with liquid oil. After such a simple operation, it becomes much easier to switch speeds on a bicycle. Ropes and shirts vary in strength and price, but even cheap parts will last long if you give them half an hour of your time once a month. Keeping all parts of the bike clean and lubricated is all that is required of you.
A cable shirt, as you can imagine, is needed to protect against dirt and wash off the grease. In the world of mountain biking, it has long been a rule to hide the cables in the tubes as much as possible. But the longest cable of the rear derailleur cannot be hidden for its entire length, because it will be very tight to walk in an excessively long shirt, especially in places of kinks. On some expensive mountain bikes, the cables are partially extended inside the frame.
How To Replace Shifter Cable On Shimano Revoshift Shifters
If you find a torn cable with unbraided wires, then the only correct repair will be to replace it with a new one. The same applies to the cable guards. all broken jackets with stretched steel must be replaced.
In the event that the rear derailleur setting is unexpectedly lost, this may be due to:
- pulling out the cable from the fixing bolt on the spreader;
- pushing the plug on one end of the shirt.
How to fine-tune the rear derailleur
The most important factor when adjusting a switch is accuracy. You can fine-tune it as described at the beginning of the article, but during implementation you need to pay special attention not only to the adjusting screws, but also to the entire mechanism as a whole.