Removing and installing the front bicycle wheel
Every bicycle owner sooner or later faces the issue of partial or complete disassembly of his vehicle. Whether it is minor repairs, replacement of parts, diagnostics or just transportation, there is often a need to remove one or both wheels at once. It is best to gain the skills to do it yourself, without resorting to the services of repair shops, since it is not always possible to contact a specialist, and such a need may appear suddenly on the road. Of course, in the absence of skills, for a new cyclist, dismantling and mounting a wheel may seem like a difficult procedure, especially if the bike is equipped with additional devices, but learning how to carry it out on your own does not take much time and does not require the experience of a bicycle mechanic.
During transportation, the front wheel of the bicycle is usually removed, although sometimes it becomes necessary to remove the rear wheel as well, this already depends on the requirements of the transport company, which may limit the dimensions of the luggage to one degree or another.
Regardless of the reason for the removal of the bicycle wheel, the principle of the manipulations performed will be the same.
Installing the front wheel
Before installing, apply a thin layer of grease along the entire length of the eccentric shaft.
Insert the wheel axle evenly into the fork grooves with the cam handle on the left side of your bike. The handle must be open.
Turn the eccentric knob clockwise until it meets halfway resistance when tightening.
Close the cam handle as far as it will go. It is recommended to do this so that the handle is behind the left leg of the fork, so it will be easier to open it with a stop.
Put the brake cable back in place and make sure the pads are at the same distance from the rim on both sides.
Bulkhead bushing, rim alignment, tube and tire replacement
The technical condition of the bike directly depends on the serviceability of all its components, including the front wheel. There are not so many problems with him, but they visit regularly:
- wear of bushing components, production of lubricant;
- curvature of the rim. “figure eight”;
- chamber breakdowns, tire cracking.
The hub provides a fixed axle attachment to the dropouts and uniform, unhindered wheel rotation. Insufficient lubrication causes increased bearing friction and, as a result, rapid wear. Symptoms. the wheel is loose, pronounced backlash, difficult rotation, crunching.
So, how to disassemble the bushing: 1. Remove the axle from the dropouts (see above).
Loosen the retaining sleeve nut. To do this, you need two 17 mm keys. fix the nut firmly on the right with one, twist the other counterclockwise on the left.
Screw the cone. For the hookup, you will need a key for 14, then it can be easily twisted by hand.
Pull out the axle from the opposite side. Carefully remove the left bearing from the housing cavity and pull the right one off the cone.
Inspect everything carefully, especially the bearings. Damaged parts must be replaced with new ones.
- Blow dirt out of an empty case.
- Using a narrow brush or cotton swab, apply a thin layer of lubricant to the inner walls of the bushing.
- Wipe the axle, cones and bearings with kerosene and let dry (if installing the same components).
- Lubricate the axle, bearings and tapers on the inner sides, which are in contact with the bearings. We do not regret lubrication on bearings: the more, the better. Gently wipe off excess with a clean cloth.
- Put the right bearing on the corresponding cone with the side as it stood before.
- Slide the axle into the bushing and install the left bearing on it.
- Screw in the cone carefully. Its surface should touch, but not pinch the bearing.
- Tighten bushing with nut.
- Place the wheel on the dropouts and fix.
We check the work of the bushing. we spin the wheel with force. If everything on the hub bulkhead has been done correctly, the wheel will spin easily and soundlessly. If the rotation is difficult or the bushing “moves” along the axis, it is necessary to loosen or tighten the left cone. Perhaps, for an accurate result, adjustment will be required several times, the main thing here is not to rush.
Eights are the most annoying wheel problem. It arises equally from the front and from the back. The front eight delivers less discomfort than the rear, but still, driving on a crooked wheel is not high. Consider how to quickly fix defects in a bicycle rim. To work, you need a universal spoke wrench, it looks like this:
Repair of the figure eight is done as follows:
- Determine the maximum wheel bulge. In this area, pull the needle at an angle that is a multiple of 1 turn.
- Loosen the two knitting needles at the edges at an angle, half the amount at which the central knitting needle was pulled.
- Pull the next outer needles to an angle half the size, by which those two needles were weakened.
And so on, it all depends on the amount of curvature. The picture shows a diagram of the elimination of a 7-spoke eight.
If the curvature is between the knitting needles, do this:
Replacing the chambers is easier than repairing rim defects, but also more often required. In order to properly and easily remove and install the tire, it is advisable to use special plastic assemblies.
- Remove the wheel from the fork mountings.
- Bleed air from the chamber (if we only change the tire).
- Unscrew the protective cap from the nipple and push it down slightly.
- On the opposite side, hook the tire bead with two assemblies.
- With the third assembly, hook the bead on the sides until the tire comes off the rim. Now you can get the camera.
- Pump up the camera a little so that it straightens.
- Place the camera in the tire.
- Select the correct direction of the tire using the arrow.
- Insert the nipple into the hole in the rim.
- Push the tire beads into the rim from the nipple side to the opposite end. When pushing becomes difficult, use editors.
- Pull the nipple tube upward (for Schrader).
- Check that the beads are completely in the rim and put the wheel on the bike.
The front wheel on a bicycle is a simple unit that you can self-service at home with your own hands: disassemble and assemble the hub, change the tire and eliminate distortions on the rim. Serious problems. broken spokes, cracking of the hub body. will require the help of a specialist.
If possible, start by setting up your bike. It should be installed on the left side when removing the rear wheel. Do not stand the bike in an upright position without the rear wheel, as this may damage the rear derailleur.
Rear Wheels: Set the derailleur to the outer gear and the inner front wheel chain. This will loosen the chain and the wheel will be easier to remove.
Disconnect the brake rim, if equipped. The release mechanisms of typical MTB and road brakes are shown below.
Note: Disconnect pads are not required with disc brakes. Also, with hydraulic disc brakes, do not squeeze the brake lever when removing the disc from the bike. Otherwise, the pads will close and it will be very difficult for you to put the wheel back on the bike. Use a specially designed spacer such as PP-1.2 if needed.
- Eccentric mechanism for securing the axles of the wheels: pull the lever of this mechanism outward to the end. If necessary, loosen the quick release of the adjusting nut to remove any projections on the end of the fork.
- Straight axle: some functions are the same as the axle of the eccentric mechanism for securing the axles of the wheels. pull the lever outward to disengage and twist to loosen. Some straight axles are equipped with a special device that should weaken the axle. However, other simple levers that are needed to loosen or tighten are not used.
- Solid axle: on wheel axles with nuts, both nuts must be loosened from the outside.
On the front wheel. just point the wheel down and out of the fork. For rear wheels, pull on the rear derailleur so the screws clear the chain. Lower the wheel down through the brake pads and forward to clean the chain and shift mechanism. Some gearshift mechanisms have a clutch mechanism that makes them difficult to turn. They have functions that make it easy to remove the wheel.
- To engage the SRAM shift mechanism, move the lower roller forward to loosen the chain and press the button to lock it in place.
The eccentric mechanism uses a hollow hub axle to secure the wheel axles, equipped with a shaft, a lever that acts as a cam mechanism, and an adjusting nut. The cam exerts tension on the shaft and pulls, and the adjusting nut is pressed firmly against the pad on the frame. This tension holds the wheel securely to the frame.
The adjusting nut determines the amount of tension on the cam lever to secure the wheel axles and cam. Lubricate the cam mechanism if it is sticky or dry.
The eccentric mechanism for securing the axles of the wheels is equipped with two conical springs. The small end of the spring faces the axis and the large end faces outward. These springs make it easier to fit the wheel. If one or both springs are twisted or damaged, they can be removed. They don’t matter as long as the wheel is firmly attached to the bike.
The so-called “open cam” may require more tension. These levers have a cam mechanism and must be lubricated frequently.
The wheels must be properly fitted to the bike frame. Misalignment can lead to problems with shifting and adjusting the bike. If the wheel is not securely fixed, it can fall off during the ride and injure the cyclist.
Rigid axle bushings use axle nuts on the outside of the frame plate. The axle nut contains a washer built into the axle nut, or a separate washer. If the washer has teeth or knurls, then they are connected to the recess to secure the wheel. Lubricate the threads on the axle when the wheel is mounted on the bike.
It is often easier to mount the front wheel when the bike is on the ground. When placing the bike on the ground, the axle must be completely in the pad on the frame.
Make sure that the cam lever for locking the axles of the wheels is in the open position and that its brakes are open.
Place the wheel in the pad on the frame. Make sure the hub is fully seated in the frame or fork.
- On the rear wheel, first turn the gear back and place the smallest gear between the top and bottom of the chain. Place the wheel between the brake pads, hooking the smallest gear on the chain.
- Cam mechanism for securing the axles of the wheels: tighten the axle so that the lever meets resistance 90 ° from the frame or fork.
- Straight axle: move the axle in place and turn clockwise until it stops.
- Solid axle: tighten both nuts on the axle until they stop.
- The use of a torque wrench is recommended. However, if it is not available, an effort must be made. For 25 Nm, apply about 40 pounds of pressure to the end of a 5 “wrench.
Determine the end position of the lever closing. Rotate the front arm and adjusting nut so that the arm ends up just at the front of the fork. Place the rear arm between the chain support and the seat. Reposition the lever as needed if it is not fully closed.
Re-remove the brake mechanism if applicable.
Make sure the wheel is in the center of the frame or fork. Loosen the nuts on the axle and, if necessary, adjust the center of the wheel in the frame and retighten.
Make sure the brake pad rim is centered on the wheel and adjust as needed.
Installing a motor-wheel on a bicycle with your own hands
If you love to ride a bike, you know very well that it is not uncommon to feel too lazy to pedal and feel tired. This happens especially often if you have to move on hilly terrain with frequent climbs. To facilitate your movement, you can install a special electric motor on the bike.
There are several types of such electric motors, but the simplest of them is the wheel motor. Let’s find out how you can design a wheel motor for a bicycle with your own hands.
How to connect a wheel motor in front?
Motor wheels for front mounting are often designed for fork widths of about 100 mm. The wiring in these models exits the hollow axis on the right. To equip a bicycle with an electric drive, it is necessary to have a motor-wheel with a suitable rim size. Before installation, it is recommended to unscrew and seal the outer motor covers with a heat-resistant waterproof sealant.
The front mounting of the electric motor is extremely simple. Need to:
- Unscrew and remove the front wheel.
- Install a wheel motor instead. Secure it using curly washers and nuts.
- According to the diagram, connect all the components of the kit for equipping the bike with an electric drive.
- Make sure the motor is working properly.
- Clamp the engine. It must be securely fastened, free to rotate, and equidistant from the brake pads and fork elements. In case of imbalance over 1.5 mm, it is necessary to correct it by adjusting the spokes.
- Install the remaining components. controller, battery, throttle and brake levers, PAS system and control panel.
- Adjust front brake.
If you do not have experience in performing such work, you can use professional services for equipping bicycles with electric traction in our workshop.
We also invite you to familiarize yourself with our previous material on the formats and sizes of lithium-ion batteries.
Now you have an idea of how to install a wheel motor on a bicycle with your own hands. It is especially convenient to use this type of transport for mixed riding: ride on a flat track using the pedals, and when entering the hill, turn on the electric drive and enjoy how the bike takes you upstairs. But you can also turn it on when you need to develop a high speed. the kind that only professional athletes can achieve on a bicycle. Thus, you can get a versatile transport in which the lightness, mobility and simplicity of the bike design will be combined with the power and speed of an electric motor.
- In contact with
How to install a motor wheel on a bicycle
Installing the wheel motor
Now let’s find out how to install the wheel motor on the bike. It is necessary to develop a wiring diagram for all elements. If you purchased a ready-made kit, then the scheme is also available. If you create the circuit yourself, we recommend choosing the rear wheel of the bike to install the motor, and installing the battery, which is the heaviest part of the structure, on the trunk. It is advisable to bring the speed regulator to the steering wheel so that it is at your fingertips.
To install the motor-wheel on a bicycle, you can use acoustic wires that connect audio speakers. This is a cheap option that allows enough current to pass through. RCA connectors can be used.
Remember to put the battery in your backpack and shield it from rain, sand, and other types of moisture and dirt. And you also need to secure it securely, since a heavy structure can easily fly out of the trunk when cornering, especially if you develop a decent speed.
When assembling, consider a method that allows you to remove the installed motor to easily return the bike to its original state. Usually, for this, it is enough to change the motor-wheel to a regular wheel, remove the cover with the battery and wires. and the bike will take on its usual look.
Installing the electric wheel on the rear of the bike
To mount the electric motor to the rear of your bike, first make sure the electric wheel you choose matches the size of the original wheel and fork. If an electric motor with a sprocket or ratchet does not fit between the frame stays, try using a ratchet with a reduced number of stars or even slightly straighten the dropouts.
The procedure for connecting the motor wheel at the rear is quite simple. Need to:
- Unscrew the nuts or eccentric fixing the standard wheel. Extract it.
- Remove the engine housing covers and coat them with a waterproof high temperature sealant and wrap it into the tire with a tube and rim tape.
- Place the motor-wheel so that the wires go from the axis of the electric motor to the left in the direction of travel. since the chain and the speed switch are located on the right.
- Completely assemble the wiring diagram of the motor-wheel without fixing the components (just “bait” the parts) in order to check the serviceability of the kit, determine the route of the wires and make sure that their length is sufficient.
- Place the controller in an area inaccessible for water ingress on the device body.
- Connect the wires according to the diagram supplied with the kit. Strictly observe the compatibility of connectors and match the colors of the insulation winding.
- Install chain.
- Align the wheel motor. during rotation, it should be at an equal distance from the fork parts and not touch the brake pads.
- In case of a strong beating of the rim (over 1.5 mm up, down or in any direction). adjust its position by tensioning the spokes.
- In the absence of tangible beats, secure the engine with shaped washers with an inner hole in the shape of a circle with 2 protrusions and an external curved spike (it should be in the hole in the frame). Washers of this design will prevent the engine from cranking.
- Make sure the motor is working correctly. When the throttle is rotated, it should start moving smoothly and quickly gain about 400 rpm. idling. If you have a bike computer, you can track the speed on it.
- Securely attach all parts of the electrification kit. Insulate the wires thoroughly and fasten carefully to the frame.
- Adjust the function of the circuit switches.
- Check the operation of the brake system.
The wheel motor is a direct current electric motor. It is installed on a bicycle rim, and you can choose both the front and rear wheels (or you can design a vehicle of special power and install the motor on two wheels at once). The power of such motors can be 250, 500 or 1000 watts. The most powerful one allows you to develop a bicycle speed of up to 60 kilometers per hour. Installation of the wheel motor on the bike does not require additional adjustment or maintenance, it is done in one go.
- The bike is not subject to irreversible changes. Even its appearance hardly suffers. The main part of the device is mounted on the wheel.
- The motor wheel runs almost silently.
- Smooth engine operation ensures smooth yet high-speed movement of your two-wheeled vehicle.
- Climbing the hill is performed with minimal effort.
- The device has no rubbing parts, so its service life is very long.
- You can easily remove the device and return the original functionality of your bike.
All the necessary components are often sold in ready-made kits, but you can pick them up yourself. Of course, the installation of a ready-made kit will be much easier and faster. Keep in mind that after installing all the elements, your bike will become 8-10 kg heavier, so give preference to parts with lighter weight.
Its diameter should be 20 to 28 inches. You can use an old wheel, but it should be in good condition with no functional or functional deficiencies. And also it must be well adjusted for normal operation.
The motor itself, which will rotate the wheels for you.
A battery to provide the power you need to move your bike.
Required so that you do not fly off the track and can control your speed limit.
The board that regulates the operation of your wheel motor.
You will place the battery and the controller in them to protect them from environmental influences.
How to install the front wheel on a bike
If you have never done something, then you may think that it is difficult to do it. If you have never removed the wheels from a bicycle before, then you may also be afraid that you will not cope, especially with the rear wheel (after all, there is a chain, a bunch of stars and this tricky derailleur!). But now we will tell you everything about this simple operation. There is nothing supernatural here. In short, we have already touched on this issue in the article on how to disassemble a bicycle, and now we will open this topic a little wider. You will have to remove the wheel not only if you need to disassemble the bike for transportation or storage, but also in order to replace the camera, tire or spokes (we will devote a separate article to what the wheels of a bicycle are made of). “.
How to remove wheels from a bicycle with rim brakes
If you have rim brakes, release them first. To do this, slide the brake levers towards each other and lift the cable lock up.
If you need to remove both wheels, release both brakes at once so that you don’t have to turn the bike over again. If you have tires with a large tread or they are large in diameter by themselves, then you will have to deflate a little air from the tubes. Now turn the bike upside down (if you have any accessories installed on your handlebars that can be damaged in this position, it is better to remove them in advance). The bike will stand stable enough for any operation, but if you have hydraulic brakes, it is better not to leave it in this position for a long time. air can get into the hydraulic line, which will entail a not very difficult, but tedious and time-consuming process of bleeding the brakes.
How to remove the rear wheel of a bike
If you will be removing the rear wheel, to make it easier to do, loosen the chain as much as possible by switching it to the smallest sprockets. The wheel can be attached to the frame and to the front fork in two ways: with two nuts (less often) and with an eccentric. If your wheels are secured with nuts that screw onto the wheel axle, then you will need two wrenches. You just throw one on one side and hold it in this position, and twist the second counterclockwise.
How to remove wheels from a bicycle with disc brakes
If you have disc brakes, just in case, insert something into the pads, in the slot where the disc was: if they accidentally close, it is very difficult to release them. And if you don’t open it, don’t put the wheel on. The role of “something” can be, for example, a piece of paper folded several times. And sometimes new bicycles come with a special plastic plug.
The assembly is carried out upside-down. To make it easier with the rear wheel, bring it to the attachment point, put the chain over the sprocket and after that insert the axle into place.
Removing / installing the front wheel on a bicycle is one of the simplest tasks a cyclist may need. Usually, the front wheel is removed for transport or storage of the bike, but there are also situations when you need to remove the wheel in order to glue the camera or change the tire.
How to remove the front wheel?
If you have disc brakes, the task is even easier, but remember to insert a spacer between the brake pads because during transportation or repairs, you may accidentally press the brake, the pads will compress and complicate the installation procedure, especially if the brakes are hydraulic.
In order to remove a wheel from a bicycle with rim brakes, you need to unfasten the pads or lower the front wheel.
To unfasten, disconnect the pads, you need to press them to the rim with your hands at the junction of the cable, and pull the arc so that it crawls out of the groove.
Unscrew, remove the wheel.
After you have dealt with the brakes, proceed to removal. The wheel can be attached to the fork in two ways:
Road Bikes. Installing Your Front Wheel
1) With a bolt. then you need an open-end wrench or box wrench of the desired size (usually from 13 to 17 sizes, but most often 14 or 15 sizes). Bolted connection is now found on children, teenagers, and also cheap bicycles.
2) Quick release. eccentric connection. Most common these days. Removal / installation of the wheel becomes possible even without the use of special tools. In order to remove the wheel, simply move the position of the eccentric clamp to the opposite side and holding it with your hand, make a couple of turns of the “wing” until you feel that the wheel moves easily.
The installation process is the opposite of removing.
1) Be sure to check the direction of the rubber when installing (compare with the rear wheel).
How to Remove the Front Wheel on a Road Bike
2) Do not pinch the eccentric when you press the eccentric handle, it should lower without much effort, but also check that the wheel does not wobble.
3) Check the center of the wheel, rotate it several times and apply the front brake, the wheel should not rub against the pads.
How to remove the front wheel?
Now carefully turn the bike upside down. In this case, it turns out that he stands on the handlebars and saddle quite stable. At this stage, you should carefully monitor so that the equipment attached to the handlebars (bike computer, bell, bike headlight, etc.) is not damaged. In addition, it is best to place a cloth under the gear selectors to avoid scratching them. If your bike has hydraulic disc brakes (a hose with brake fluid comes from the brake lever, and not a regular shirt with a cable), then it is not recommended to keep the bike upside down for a long time, in order to avoid air getting into the hydraulic line, since if this happens, you will need to pump brakes (although the process is not complicated, but rather laborious).
Next, we look at how the wheel is fixed to you: is it an ordinary nut or an eccentric (small lever).
3.1. If your wheel is secured with a nut, then you need to take two suitable keys. Throw one on one side, the other on the other, and twist one of the keys counterclockwise, holding the other in place. It is not necessary to unscrew the nuts all the way, but simply loosen until the wheel can be safely removed.
3.2. If your wheel is attached with an eccentric, then everything is generally simple. no tools are needed. We pull this eccentric towards ourselves, as shown in the figure, after which it is necessary to unscrew it a little more counterclockwise, holding it on the back side with your hand until it becomes possible to pull out the wheel.
How to install the front wheel on a road bike
At the last stage, just pull the wheel up, and if you did everything correctly, it can be easily removed. On bicycles with disc brakes, do not press the brake lever with the wheel removed, as this may compress the pads, and you will have to tinker with them too.
Before removing the front wheel from the bike, it is necessary to get rid of the bike itself of all accessories and additional devices, so as not to damage them under the weight of the structure during the dismantling process.
- We turn the bike upside down, put it on a stand for repair. Or, in the absence of a special rack, simply on a handlebar with a saddle.
- Now you need to decide on the type of brake system installed on the bike.
- Disc brakes won’t be a hassle when removing a wheel. The only thing to consider is that hydraulic brakes do not like the inverted position, because air can enter the system. In this case, the brakes will have to be pumped after all the procedures performed with your bike.
- The rim brakes will need to be unfastened before removing the structure from the mounts. To do this, squeeze the levers with your hands and remove the end of the cable from the clamp, then spread the levers to the sides.
- The hub axle is attached to the fork by means of an eccentric or nuts. In the first case, you just need to unscrew the eccentric, unscrew and remove the wheel from the ends of the fork, gently pulling it up. In the second, unscrew the nut with a wrench; for convenience, during unscrewing, you can hold it with a second wrench.
After the wheel is removed, you can continue to carry out the necessary work with it, for which it, in fact, was removed.
Installing the front wheel
As you perfectly understand, the process of installing the front wheel is the opposite of removing it and it makes no sense to describe it in detail.
We put the wheel back, as it was. Do not confuse the direction of rotation of the wheel (written on the tire). Remember that your bike is overturned and it is worth considering the direction of travel. In the case of disc brakes, it is difficult to confuse, since it is necessary that the disc hits exactly between the pads.
We tighten the nuts or tighten the eccentric
If you have rim brakes, you need to return them to their original condition. We check that the wheel does not dangle, turns freely and the brake functions, otherwise we check everything again point by point.
How to remove the rear wheel?
The rear wheel removal process is COMPLETELY the same as the front wheel removal process. You don’t even need to look at the equipment attached to the rear (you only have to remove the chain from the axle if it gets caught).