We check the performance
- The pressed roller itself. If there are squeaks or problems with mobility on the link. Set the plates in place, bending the chain along the plane of the link to stop Clicking, there is enough hand strength, the tool is NOT required.
- The whole shortened chain. We try to make a few turns on the smallest stars. if there are problems, it will be noticeable immediately.
For a repeating type chain (half-link, with one pair of repeating plates). the process is simplified, there is no need to choose parities. To shorten the chain of lightweight models and some sports options can only be done with a specialized tool, and the procedure for shortening is described in the proprietary documentation.
It makes sense to keep the pomace in a backpack only during difficult multi-day hikes, usually this is a workshop tool, therefore, when choosing, do not pay attention to light versions and pomace in Multitools. they are usually unreliable and are thrown away after 5-10 uses.
If the squeeze was NOT nearby, a hammer, a couple of nuts and a nail will help, but more on that later.
- Install the squeeze so that its core is exactly in the center of the pin (roller).
- Smoothly rotate the squeeze handle until the roller comes out to the level of the second inner plate.
- By separating the link, not Pulling out to the end of the pin.
Bicycle chain shortening instructions
Shortening the chain is usually required when sagging. after long use, heavy load or when changing the set of sprockets. How to shorten a bicycle chain and how to determine the correct length?
- Switching to the largest stars in the front and back.
- Opening an equal link in the chain.
- We tighten the chain as much as possible so that the support is in a horizontal position.
- Add one pair of links and get the desired length.
Removing unnecessary links
- We fix the required length and determine the pin for squeezing, taking into account that the released link plates coincide with the plates of the already squeezed.
- We repeat the sequence from p. No. 1, completely squeezing the roller.
Consider how to shorten the Gall bike chain (this is what is used on 95-99% of all modern bicycles).
Vault the chain and carefully, centering the squeezes at the start and controlling the process every 0.2-0.3mm, press the pin into the link released in p. No. 2.
Some people prefer to remove the chain. in this case, before connecting, you should check if it is threaded into the switches.
Features of work in the absence of squeeze
Lack of squeeze is not a problem either. Instead of a squeeze, a pin is enough. a nail, a drill, a dowel, slightly smaller than a roller in diameter, and a hammer, with which this pin will knock out the pin. The main thing is the accuracy of the actions, it is important that the blows DO NOT bend the link plates. for this, a nut or other amplifier is laid under the chain and inside the link.
If shortening without squeezing will be done for the first time, it is recommended to practice on an unused link, since the work will require skill. In addition, without squeezing the chain, in any case, you will have to remove the chain from the bike, since you need a solid support.
How to remove and install the chain
After sports multi-speed bike transmissions became widespread, cyclists began to remove from their speed or mountain bike, disassemble, put on (put in place) a bicycle chain much more often. The reason for this is the reduced thickness programmed by the design and its constant skewing, which quickly “eats” even a high-quality bicycle chain. In addition, the old “diseases” of this bicycle assembly have NOT disappeared anywhere. because of its tendency to stretch, every now and then there is a need to reduce the chain on the bicycle, rivet it, replace the broken one with a new one, or simply remove and hang somewhere for long-term storage.
Connector and connection of a bicycle trailer with a quick-release lock
In order to remove the chain from the bicycle quickly, without using a squeeze, there must be a special link on it. the so-called lock. There are several designs of such locks, but the most common one is with a fixing extension (spring) bracket. To disassemble such a bicycle chain, you must:
- Find a quick disconnect link on it;
- Using a manual screwdriver, unbend the mustache of the spring fixing brackets, disengage them from the grooves on the pins of the collapsible link;
- In theory. everything, you can use different collapsible links, and remove the bike chain from the bike.
To assemble such a chain, you need to do the operations in the reverse order:
- Place the thread of the bike trail on the stars of the bike transmission;
- Connect the collapsible link together;
- Using a screwdriver, insert the spring retaining bracket into engagement with the grooves on the link pins.
Such a quick-release lock is best used to quickly remove and put on (hang) a thin and light bicycle chain on a multi-speed transmission of a sports mountain bike (MTB) or on a high-speed bike (highway or hybrid). On road, touring bicycles or city bikes, the bicycle chain is much thicker and more reliable, it is repaired much less often, therefore the quick-release link will only weaken it.
Maintainability of the bike
It seems to be NOT a complex design in bicycle trailers. But a novice cyclist, the need to remove and install it in place can lead to a stupor. How to properly disassemble (Disconnect) a bicycle chain and then correctly put it on (install, put) on a bicycle?
Let’s say right away that the secret of removing and installing a bicycle is in the rules for separating and connecting it together. All other operations are simple and intuitive.
In terms of maintainability, all bicycle chains are divided into:
- Collapsible, with a quick-detachable link. a lock, which can be disconnected without special devices, with a simple screwdriver in hand;
- Conditionally non-separable, for the disconnection of which you cannot do without a special device. chain squeeze.
Dismantling and assembling the bike with the help of squeezing
If you have a special chain squeeze in your hands, then there is no longer a difference on which link to make its connector. Chain disassembly procedure:
- An arbitrary link should be brought into the squeeze in such a way that one of the pins (here, a rivet) is exactly in the same axis with its push and support rods;
- Alternately twisting the push rod, and release the supporting one, gradually press out the pin (rivet) until it is completely disengaged with the link elements, so that it can be disconnected;
- After that, Unscrew the squeeze push rod (DO NOT touch the supporting rod), disengage it with the link, and remove the squeeze;
- The chain can be disconnected and removed from the bike.
The order of assembling the chain using a squeeze is reverse:
- Place the thread of the bike trail on the stars of the bike transmission;
- Assemble the disassembled link, with the help of a light tapping on the Pin (with a hammer, pliers, wrench. anything that is at hand), ensure that the pin goes a little into its Seat and begins to hold the link together;
- Insert the link to be assembled into the chain squeeze so that the pin to be installed is on the same axis with its rods;
- Adjust the position of the rods so that they rest against the pin to be installed on both sides;
- Twisting the push rod and letting go of the supporting rods, gradually press the pin into its seat;
- Remove chain squeeze.
In fact, even the presence of a quick-release lock does not free the bike chain from using a squeeze. You will need it when you have to remove one of its links. This simple operation will be required to reduce the overall length of the excessively stretched chain. To do this, you just need to press out two pins in a row using a squeeze, and then one of them will put (press) into place.
Lock and solid chain
The locking chain is equipped with a special clamping device. It is NOT difficult to unhook and put it on. it is enough to simply Release the lock. To find it, we carefully examine the chain on both sides and find a detachable link. In principle, it will not be difficult to find it on a clean chain: a tick is put on top, which fixes the link and does not allow it to move apart. Also, the manufacturer’s inscription is usually stamped on the locking link. If you cannot find the lock for a long time, then either the chain is dirty, or it is lockless, or solid.
A bicycle chain without a lock just like that It will NOT work to disconnect: all the links on it look the same, however, and are hooked to each other too. This is a big inconvenience when cleaning, for example, it is necessary to carry out a “general cleaning” in a solvent. In the case of the lock, everything is simple. I stole it and put it in kerosene. Solid bike chain, even taken off the stars, will remain hanging on the frame.
In terms of removal, a chain with a lock is certainly more convenient than its counterpart. However, for some reason, the fastening may loosen: the tick will fly off, and the link will also come loose. There are such weak points on bicycle chains without locks, and if it is torn, then the matter is solely in its quality.
How to install a lock on a bicycle chain
First of all, attention should be paid to chain malfunction on multi-speed bikes. Traditionally, the travel time is determined by the mileage, but these values are too approximate, because it all depends on the conditions of cycling: road quality, gear selection, speed, load on the pedals and, accordingly, on the chainrings.
The first signs of a bike breakdown are inaccurate gear shifting and suspicious noises (assuming the chain has NOT lost lubrication). The following method will probably help to determine the malfunction: bend it away from the largest sprocket and see the number of free teeth. If the chain leaves three or more teeth freely, then replacement is required urgently. Two prongs “warn” that wear is not far off, but you can still go by train.
Using the same method, you can see the weakening of the chain on a single-speed bike: bend it away from the chainring and see the number of teeth.
Another way to measure wear is to measure length:
- 304.8mm. Optimum Chain Length.
- 306.5. 307.5. average wear, suitability for repair. You can still ride.
- 308 mm. high degree of wear on both chain and sprockets.
- More than 308 mm. damage to the entire transmission.
Measuring Elongation requires removing the chain completely from the bike.
How to put a lock on a bicycle chain
How to put a lock on a bicycle chain
A bike chain lock is needed to quickly lock and release the bike links. Externally, it is quick-release links, which consist of two plates. Before buying, you need to familiarize yourself with the information that is given on the packaging. in the future it will facilitate the process of installing and removing the device. As a rule, it also contains an indication of how many speeds are allowed for a particular model.
It happens that the lock is already present in the biker’s arsenal: it was included with the bike and was put on when buying. It will NOT be difficult to find it. you can always emboss the brand name on it. But if there is no device, and you often have to remove chain links, then installing a bicycle chain lock, the price of which is quite affordable, is really worth it. To begin with, you will need to remove half of the bike link to make room for the device. It will be possible to do this correctly with the help of a squeeze. such a tool will allow you to perform an operation, and not damage the links.
Removed external elements must be replaced with key plates. After that, the lock needs to be fixed. To this end, the chain belt is stretched until it snaps. The reverse operation can be done by bending it and sliding the hole until it opens. However, any lock can be moved apart without the use of an appropriate tool and additional efforts. It is important to remember that for safety reasons:
Fitting the chain to the bike
To put the chain on a single speed, it is enough for all of it on both stars, press in the pin or click the lock. With high-speed bikes it will be a little more difficult:
- Fix switches to small stars.
- Considering the position of the tensioning rollers, put the chain on the stars.
- Combine links.
- Clamp the chain and press in here. If the bicycle chain is with a lock, we do without squeezing.
After the installation is completed, it is necessary to check the course of the chain: it will rotate the pedals several times. If no sagging or obstruction is observed during torsion, then the chain is of the optimal length and is installed correctly.
Every owner of a two-wheeled horse will be able to cope with the removal and installation of a bicycle chain. An uncomplicated and simple procedure will not take much time, but it will perfectly help on further trips!
What is this part?
These are quick disconnect links consisting of two plates. Thanks to its design, it becomes much easier to open and close the links of the bike. When purchasing a lock, you should pay attention to what is written on the package. As a rule, it contains the most important information that will help in the further use of the castle. Particular attention must be paid to how many speeds this lock is suitable for. Most likely, more than one indicator will be indicated there, which is beneficial for users.
Removing the chain from a bike
The need to remove the bicycle chain occurs when it needs to be replaced, washed thoroughly or Boiled in grease (in the case of a single-speed chain). Therefore, a small beginner’s guide.
It is possible to remove the chain from the bike only by removing the connecting links (pin). You can squeeze out a pin without a tool, right in the field # 8212; put the chain on the edge of a solid object and tapping here with a thin knitting needle.
Unfortunately, this method will NOT allow you to assemble the chain back, because there will be nothing to press the pin in. Therefore, to remove the bicycle chain you need to have a special tool # 8212; squeeze, it is best to take a multitool, which includes all the basic bicycle keys, including the squeeze. I have this. Very satisfied.
The chain link must be placed on the squeeze so that the pin is directly in front of the release axis of the tool. Then just # 8212; twist the handle gently and the pin is squeezed out.
The main thing is to stop at the end so that the pin does NOT pop out completely, otherwise then your vocabulary will NOT have enough abusive words to push it back.
Below. Where you can see what I’m talking about (1:05).
In general, ideally, I recommend putting the lock on the chain, this allows you to remove and put the chain on the bike instantly.
When installing the chain on a multi-speed bike, you need to follow the pattern of pulling along the rollers of the rear derailleur, I painted in red in this picture:
Everything is very simple, and there is absolutely no need to go to Velomaster because of some minor problem with the transmission.
Friends, let’s not get lost on the Internet! I invite you to receive email notifications about the publication of my new articles, so you will always know that I have written something new. Follow the link. You are welcome.
How to determine chain wear?
After making sure of the need to periodically change the circuit, you should proceed to explaining the process itself. First of all, you should learn how to determine the moment when the chain needs to be replaced, because it is difficult to keep track of the mileage systematically. The most accurate way to determine the degree of wear is to measure the distance from the center of an arbitrary pin (the axis connecting the links) to the center of the twenty-fourth pin after it with a simple ruler. This distance should be 304.8-306.4 mm. If the measured distance exceeds the recommended distance. The chain needs to be replaced.