How to remove pedals from a bike?
The use of a special bicycle key will allow you to quickly unscrew the connections by pushing the lever with your whole body. If the pedals refuse to unscrew, in this case it is worthwhile to warm up the junction of the platform with the connecting rod using a burner. It should be borne in mind that heating is carried out with simultaneous cooling of the metal with water. Otherwise, there is a possibility of permanent damage to the parts.
Reasons for concern
There are a number of signs that indicate that the pedal needs lubrication:
- Difficulty rotating;
- Full pedal stopper.
If you find yourself showing signs of a lack of lubrication, do not postpone the procedure. over, the operation does not require special skills and is quite simple.
Since the hub of the pedals of a bicycle is the same on all types, consider the general procedure that applies to all models.
How to remove the pedal from the bike and replace the connecting rod
The pedal is a simple part, but the long life can cause some disassembly problems. Therefore, many experts recommend systematic maintenance of the vehicle, despite the fact that many do not attach importance to this issue.
Let us analyze in what cases it is necessary to remove the pedals:
- the part is damaged and requires replacement;
- lubricate the elements;
- replacement or repair of the connecting rod;
- you need to understand the features of the system and understand how it works.
Before removing the pedal from the bike, the following tools should be prepared:
- open-end wrench 15;
- adjustable wrench;
- if there is a non-standard solution of the manufacturer in the fastening elements, then usually the set contains a key for removing the pedal.
When you may need to remove bike pedals
- For maintenance. For example, a crunch or creak appeared and you need to clean and lubricate them.
- When replacing old pedals with new ones, or replacing connecting rods.
- When packing the bike in a cover or to reduce the space occupied when transporting it.
- When preparing your bike for long-term winter storage. Again to minimize bike space
- As an anti-theft agent. The method is very effective. well, where will you go on such a bike. The trick here is that they should be removed easily and simply. The tool for this and a small bag in which the removed pedals will be folded should always be with you in your bike bag. You will not wear them all the time in your hands.
The peculiarity of the pedals is that they have symmetrical threads.
Each of them must have a label: which is left and which is right. Usually these are the English letters L. Left (left) and R –Right (right), respectively, for the left and right pedals.
The left pedal is always made with a left hand thread. This means that it twists counterclockwise and unscrews clockwise.
Greasing & Servicing Cheap Budget Pedals supplied as standard on Mountain Bikes BMX Cycles. Bike
On the right, there is a regular right-hand thread. Twists clockwise and unscrews counterclockwise.
This is done so that when the pedals are spinning while the bike is moving, they do not unscrew.
It is easier to remember the rule: the pedals are unscrewed against the direction of the bicycle‘s movement. twist to the rear wheel, and twist in the direction of travel. twist to the front wheel.
The manufacturer attracts with serious equipment and carbon frames (StelsNavigator 890DCarbon). An amazing aspect is the attractive price-performance ratio.
Pedal design features
Such a simple element as a bicycle pedal has its own nuances. Today there are three types of parts:
- Contact pedals on a bicycle;
Each of them has its own specifics: the first are designed to grip with any shoe, the second. for special cycling shoes, and the third are universal and have a contact mechanism on one side and a platform on the other. Thus, the bicycle pedal provides a comfortable ride.
The design also includes a low-maintenance and maintenance-free connecting rod. In case of mechanical damage or problems, you just need to change the connecting rod to a new one. All the nuts that secure this part are very easy to unscrew. First you need to remove the pedals, disassemble the cone and, if necessary, lubricate the bearings. The repair is not difficult and does not take much time. In order to remove the connecting rod, you need a special puller or certain skills. This is quite efficient and fast, otherwise it will take a lot of time and effort to disassemble the structure. The connecting rod is held by a large bolt on the shaft, while driving, the place where they touch becomes dirty and it is very difficult to remove the connecting rod.
In order to avoid problems with the pedals of the equipment, it is necessary to regularly inspect and troubleshoot. Bearings are also of great importance. There are several types of them, but simple bulk and cartridge ones are especially popular, which differ in weight and quality. Specialists give preference to functional and reliable parts. Is there a large assortment in the modern market of sports equipment and parts? and choosing and replacing suitable pedals for your bike is not difficult. Repair of this element is quite simple.
Step-by-step instructions on how to remove a pedal from a bicycle without a puller
After finishing the preparatory work, we proceed to dismantling:
- First of all, slide the system towards the steering wheel, this position is considered to be working.
- Gently unscrew the pedals from the crank with an adjustable wrench. Which way to unscrew the pedals on the bike? Right. counterclockwise, left. in the direction.
- Remove the end cap to expose the locknut. Use a small flat-blade screwdriver to do this.
- Smoothly unscrew the nut, holding the axle with the second key.
- Also, a washer remains at the end, which must be removed.
- At this point, unscrew the cone.
- It remains to remove the platform from the axle, try to control the position of the bearings in order to exclude their sudden fall.
Difficulties during dismantling arise due to external factors or under heavy loads. There are two options for solving these problems:
- treat the elements with kerosene or solvent. After soaking in such liquids, dirt that hinders rotation can be easily removed;
- you can heat the axle and connecting rod, there will be a slight deformation of the metal, and the axle can be easily removed along the thread.
In general, the process of removing the pedals is quite simple, it is much more important to prepare the necessary tools and materials, and also follow the instructions. It is recommended to return the parts to their place first by hand, and only at the end to tighten with special wrenches.
When you may need to remove the pedals?
Removing the pedals is necessary in several cases:
- In order to change to new ones or replace the connecting rods.
- When transporting the bike, these parts are removed to reduce the volume.
- During maintenance. There is a need for cleaning, lubrication. It happens that there is a creak or other suspicious sounds while driving, requiring inspection, and the pedals. maintenance.
- To reduce space during long-term storage, including winter.
- So that the bike cannot be stolen. Quite an effective way. But in this case, the pedals should be removed quickly. Therefore, there is a need to carry tools, as well as a storage bag with you at all times.
How to remove pedals from a Stealth bike
It is necessary to remove pedals from a high-speed bicycle of the Stealth brand in the following situations:
- during scheduled maintenance;
- if there is a crunch or other squeaks;
- replacement with new pedals.
To do this, you need an 8 socket wrench, grease and a napkin. So, after removing the pedal, you need to take a rag and wipe the threads in the connecting rods. Now you can disassemble the pedal. While holding the axle, loosen the nut at the other end with a collapsible wrench. We remove the axle and carefully remove the bearings. Soak all parts in gasoline for a while and wipe off with a napkin.
After completing the preparatory stage, you can proceed to the work itself. It should be borne in mind that there is a significant difference between how to remove pedals from a bicycle with and without a puller.
So, first grease the bearings liberally by placing them with balls on the inside of the pedal. Then put on the axle, screw on the cone and the control nut. Adjust light rotation before finishing work, without backlash. When you get the desired result, you can screw the pedals to the cranks, not forgetting about the lubrication. On this, the work can be considered completed.
Therefore, before removing the pedal from the bike, it is recommended that you study its construction, paying particular attention to the main elements. It is highly recommended that you read and understand the accessories of all parts and become familiar with the safety precautions. Indeed, driving safety and human health depend on competent assembly and technology. It is important to take a responsible approach to the question of how to remove the pedals on a high-speed bike, due to the complex design of this vehicle.
Required tools for removing pedals
To remove the pedals from your bike, you need some tools and materials. Most bicycle owners, from the moment of purchase of transport, also buy the necessary tools, materials that can be useful for repair or maintenance.
- Carob, having a size of 15 mm.
- Adjustable wrench. You need the correct thickness, because the gap between the mount and the connecting rod is narrow.
- Hexagonal with parameters 6810 mm for selected models.
- Bicycle set.
- Puller is an optional device suitable for contact types. Holds the axle while turning with a key while scrolling.
You can purchase a wrench that performs the functions of both a hexagon and a 15 mm open-end.
- grease. Professionals advise cleaning and lubricating parts;
- rags (it is useful to wipe off the old grease, wipe off the dirt);
- any solvent (you can use kerosene).
How to remove pedals from a bike without a puller?
Bicycles are the most popular and convenient form of transport. For some, this is recreation, sports and a great way to attract attention, for example, while performing original stunts on a two-wheeled bike. However, do not forget about timely maintenance and repair. That is why many cycling enthusiasts are faced with the problem of how to remove the pedal from the bike. Having penetrated into the structure of transport, you can easily learn how to carry out repairs yourself. Thus, it will be possible to avoid various unforeseen breakdowns.
Repairing A Mountain Bike Pedal With Excessive Play
Removing the pedals from the bike is easy enough, but don’t forget about preparing tools and materials, as well as possible problems. The main thing is to keep the entire system in order, since in case of damage or other problems, the inconvenience of using the bike will be very great.
Constant mechanical stress on the pedal can cause rotational problems. To quickly deal with them, it is necessary to heat the connecting rod and axle. As a result, the process of metal deformation will take place. This will help to easily remove the axle.
To prolong the life of the pedal, use a chain treatment agent. Thanks to the solvent, stubborn dirt such as bolts can be removed. We use a solvent and a rag (napkin). In this case, the solvent can be replaced with kerosene. You should also not forget about the toxicity of these funds.
All pedals, despite their different features, have a common design:
- Platform. the surface on which the foot rests, which is fixed on the axis.
- Metal axis. a pin made of metal. Has a thread and is screwed into the connecting rod.
- Bearings. provide torque. Serves as a connecting element between the axle and the platform. There are simple bulk and cartridge bearings that differ in weight and quality.
- Bolts, nuts.
It should be noted that the design of the pedals is not as simple as it seems at first glance. Therefore, before tackling such problems, for example, how to remove the axle of a bicycle pedal, you should carefully study the overall design.