Removing and installing tires
Tire breakdown on the move is an unpleasant phenomenon that can be found anywhere. Can even lower at home. You can’t ride, you have to change the camera, tire or all together. For a solution to the problem, you can contact the service, but in addition to money for a new consumable, they will also take on work. And why spend extra money and strain the master, when all the manipulations for removing and installing tires can be done independently? Let’s take a look at how to disassemble a bicycle wheel and assemble a tire. You will also have to remove the tires and put them back on when straightening the rim or replacing the spokes.
For work, you will need special plastic assemblies or two small shoe spoons. It is undesirable to use screwdrivers, as they can damage the rim.
- Fully deflate the tire (if removed to repair the rim, not replace).
- On the opposite side to the nipple, pry off the bead of the tire with assemblies and fasten them to the spokes. The distance between the blades is at least 20 cm. With the third assembly hook up the bead in the middle and pull it out of the rim.
- Remove the assemblies and pull the tire off the wheel. If there are only two blades, we fix one, the other is carried along the board, pulling it out.
- Pull the nipple out of the bore. On some models, it can be attached with an additional nut, then we twist it.
Now, when there is a new kit or the wheel is repaired, you need to put the tire back on, or fence:
- Pump up the chamber to 0.5 atm so that it takes a rounded shape and does not break.
- Insert the nipple into the hole, the chamber on the surface of the rim. It is important that it fits exactly the size of the wheel.
- Compress the tire beads and insert from the nipple side.
- Sequentially distribute the edges around the entire circumference with your hands.
- It will take some effort on the opposite side to push the bead down.
- Inflate the tire to the correct pressure and place the wheel on the bike.
It’s so easy to bend the wheel with your own hands.
Do-it-yourself wheel sorting
The most common reason for the impossibility of further cycling is such an annoying, but inevitable thing with regular riding, a puncture. It’s good if this happens near the bike shop. But cycling paths are inscrutable, and workshops are not located at every step.
How to put a stubborn tire on a rim
Almost every cyclist has come across a situation where it is very difficult to put on a tire. about 10-15 cm remains around the circumference of the rim, which does not stretch in any way. I have come across this many times, as I like to try different combinations of tires and change them often.
Sometimes, having sworn to your heart’s content, you erase your fingers to bloody blisters, and finally, at the cost of frantic efforts, the stubborn tire falls into place. And then, you know what? Then you notice that you put the tire in the wrong direction of rotation.
The reason for the difficulty lies in a combination of factors. a rigid tire cord, an inelastic sidewall, a high rim rim. Most often, road tires are heavily tensioned, but sometimes especially stubborn MTB specimens come across.
Now I will try to give recommendations on how to put an especially stubborn tire on a bicycle rim. everything that I managed to understand and apply myself. If anyone also has experience in this matter, please add in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев. So, here is the sequence of actions.
- First, as usual, we pull on one side. it’s easy.
- Carefully insert the nipple of the camera and straighten it over the entire inner cavity of the tire. You can even give a pump a couple of strokes so that she straightens out.
- We pull on the second side, starting from the side of the nipple. Click on the nipple so that the camera in this place “sits” inward.
- Now the most important and most unobvious. In order for the last centimeters of the tire to be able to easily pull on the rim, you need to make sure that the “gap” is not selected during putting on, that is, you need to make sure that the cord does not begin to slowly put on the rim already in those places where the tire is fitted. In short, it is easier to explain in the picture. any rim has the deepest place in the center, you need the edges of both beads to lie in this recess during the bead process, thus giving slack to throw the rest of the sidewall circumference over the high rim rim. I am almost sure that when you have difficulties with the edging, the reason is that the edge of the sidewall has already crawled out of this recess a little, thereby pulling the entire tire.
- Slowly flank the second sidewall, make sure that the edges lie in the recess, and constantly shake the already flanged parts to remove the gap, this slack to the very top, where you will have the last stubborn centimeters.
- If the last part rested and does not stretch, do not continue to pull. dissolve everything and try again.
I know that some mechanics advise using mounting paddles for stubborn tires, but in my opinion, they do not really help, and the risk of breaking the sidewall is quite real.
90% of tires are easily folded with their hands, and for the remaining 10%, as it turned out, there is a special fitting, which I learned about a few days ago. I drove into the bike workshop to straighten the bent cock for me, the mechanic there was just busy with the edging of the tire onto the rim. Attempts to stretch with his hands, a few energetic words in Spanish, and he took out a little thing from the drawer that allowed him to “finish off” stubborn centimeters in just a couple of seconds.
Here she is. worth a penny, I will definitely order it myself. The mechanic said that he uses this rig almost every day when he comes across a vicious high rim tire.
Hopefully, with my recommendations and this installation, stubborn tires will be more fun to tighten.
PS. By the way, they say that there are tires that can be problematic to remove from the rim, but personally I have never seen this, and during my cycling life I have tried several dozen different tires, both mtb and road. Tell us in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев if you have ever had problems with removing a tire.
In order not to lose sight of this site: follow the link. you will receive a notification about the release of a new article by email. No spam, you can unsubscribe in a couple of clicks.
You can say thank you for the article by reposting on or :
That’s it, the bike is cured, the puncture is repaired. You can go further.
Tubeless wheel repair
If there is a tubeless wheel on the bike, things are a little more complicated. It is unlikely that it will be possible to repair it in the “field” conditions, so they take a camera on long trips. In case of problems, the tubeless wheel is made “chamber”. But at home it is quite possible to carry out an independent repair of the “tubeless”.
If you need to put a tire on a wheel without using a camera, then:
- Rim tape is glued.
- If the tire is new, then you need to give it the correct shape. For this, the wheel is assembled in a “chamber” version and it is kept in this form for one day. After a day, the camera one side of the tire is disassembled and the camera is removed.
- The nipple is inserted and secured.
- A sealant is poured into the wheel. Usually, one wheel requires from 50 to 100 grams.
- The wheel is skirted and inflated. It is very important to use a sufficiently powerful pump at this stage. Precisely because hand pumps cannot create strong pressure, it is difficult to repair a tubeless wheel in the “field” conditions.
- After the wheel is inflated, you need to shake it, twist it. To distribute the sealant over the entire surface and seal the smallest holes.
Before removing the front wheel from the bike, it is necessary to get rid of the bike itself of all accessories and additional devices, so as not to damage them under the weight of the structure during the dismantling process.
- We turn the bike upside down, put it on a stand for repair. Or, in the absence of a special rack, simply on a handlebar with a saddle.
- Now you need to decide on the type of brake system installed on the bike.
- Disc brakes won’t be a hassle when removing a wheel. The only thing to consider is that hydraulic brakes do not like the inverted position, because air can enter the system. In this case, the brakes will have to be pumped after all the procedures performed with your bike.
- The rim brakes will need to be unfastened before removing the structure from the mounts. To do this, squeeze the levers with your hands and remove the end of the cable from the clamp, then spread the levers to the sides.
- The hub axle is attached to the fork by means of an eccentric or nuts. In the first case, you just need to unscrew the eccentric, unscrew and remove the wheel from the ends of the fork, gently pulling it up. In the second, unscrew the nut with a wrench; for convenience, during unscrewing, you can hold it with a second wrench.
After the wheel is removed, you can continue to carry out the necessary work with it, for which it, in fact, was removed.
What does the wheel consist of?
Bicycle wheels are the most conservative component. Of course, there are models on cast disks, all-round wheels are put on track models, but they are in the minority. Still, the majority of bicycles are equipped with spoke wheels.
- ordinary sleeve;
- connecting knitting needles;
- rim protective tape (flipper);
- camera and tire;
- disc (on models with disc brakes).
The hub is the axial part of the wheel, it is an assembly of the central axle, bearings and tapered retainers. Cone bearing systems are most often mounted on bushings with open type bearings. They can also be equipped with sealed bearings or slips.
Rim. supporting structure, metal ring. The rims are made mostly of aluminum, with carbon rims being used on expensive models. In terms of rigidity and power, they are divided into three types:
- single-walled. the outer and inner surfaces have one line of contact (jumper);
- double. the inner surface is attached to the sidewalls, separated from the outer;
- triple. the strongest and most durable option: the inner wall is also fixed to the sidewalls, but, unlike the double rim, the triple rim has an additional wall in the middle.
Vertical bridges form channels running in the direction of rotation. According to the number of such channels, modern rims are divided into one, three- and five-piece:
Spokes. elements connecting the hub to the rim. They perform the functions of securing, distributing loads along the rim and central axis and mitigating vibrations during movement. The rim is perforated, each hole is designed to hold one spoke. The number of spokes is set on a bicycle wheel in multiples of four. Depending on the model, their number varies. from 28 to 40 on average.
The number of spokes for the front wheel is usually less than the number for the rear. This is due to the fact that the bulk of the load falls on the rear of the bike, and there the wheel must be stronger.
- standard (rolled). constant circular cross-section along the entire length from the bushing attachment to the tip;
- aerodynamic (blade-like). elliptical or rectangular profile;
- variable cross-section (pulled). standard cross-section at the heads and tapering towards the middle.
The inner tube is the inside of the tire that holds the pressurized air inside. Tire. the outer shell, in contact with the road, absorbs bumps, protects the camera. The tire is made of a harder rubber than the tube.
Rim tape, or flipper, is a rubber lining under the tube to protect it from puncture on the spoke tips. Dynamic loads force the walls of the chamber to bend, which causes them to be pressed against the rim surface. Without a flipper, the camera can be pushed into the hole with the spoke tip. This problem is more pronounced on the rear wheel, where the loads are higher, but the presence of a flipper is mandatory on the front. The torn tape must be replaced with a new one. A proven homemade option. glue the rim with several layers of electrical tape, except for the hole for the nipple.
How to correctly install the wheels on the eccentric
To correctly install the wheels on the eccentrics, you need to adhere to the following sequence of actions:
- turn the bike with its wheels up, placing it in a position convenient for work;
- move the eccentric lever to the “open” position;
- insert the wheel into the dropouts (wheel sockets);
- tighten the adjusting nut at the opposite end of the eccentric;
- set the eccentric lever in the “close” position;
- check the quality of wheel rotation.
If, during installation, the lever closes easily, the nuts, of course, need to be tightened further. Free play of the eccentric lever indicates that the mounts are not completely secured, ideally, its movement should be a little difficult. Installing the front wheel on a bike with an eccentric, if necessary, can be done independently on the way.
The eccentric for the rear wheel of a bicycle can be a type of attachment in the form of an assembly called an eccentric bicycle bottom bracket. It provides a connection between the frame and the rotary mechanism using bearings, pressed into the frame glass.
Learning to adjust the chain drive correctly
On the simplest single gear bike, tensioning the chain is all it takes with one wrench, just loosen the two rear wheel nuts. Most often this is a key of either 17 or 15. First, the bike must be turned upside down, and then slightly loosen the two nuts on the rear wheel. It is not necessary to unscrew them completely. After the nuts have been loosened, the wheel must be moved back a little. At the same time, there is no need to hammer in various wedges and insert something between the frame and the wheel, the tension of the chain system should occur with minimal effort, under the wheel’s own weight.
How To True A Bicycle Wheel
After that, the nuts can be tightened, it is best to use a wrench with a dynamometer for this, so that the correct tightening torque is observed. If the nuts are loosely tightened, the wheel may slip sideways on the road. And if you have a lot of forces, you can rip off the thread of the nut or even the wheel axle.
Attention! Tighten the nuts gradually, while observing that the wheel is clearly in the center of the fork. Otherwise, the sprockets will be in a different plane, which will lead to the chain collapse.
How to properly tension your bike chain and why it matters
Everyone knows why you need a chain on a bicycle. But not everyone knows all the subtleties of its device and what danger its malfunction conceals in itself. Therefore, it is so important to know how to properly tighten the chain.
The bicycle chain is one of the most important parts of this type of transport. Its main task is to transfer the energy of the cyclist’s muscle work to the rear wheel. In addition, they are the driven link of the bicycle gearbox. Such a mechanism is formed due to the fact that the driving sprocket (which is on the pedals) is always made larger than the driven sprocket (the sprocket on the wheel). Thanks to this, a law of leverage is formed, which allows you to transform one type of energy into another.
If we talk about those bicycles on which there are several gears at once, then the chain is assigned an even greater role. In such a system, the chain drive acts as a floating transmission link that connects the drive sprocket to the driven sprocket. At the same time, it is not difficult to guess that if the chain breaks off, the transport will not be able to go further. And it happens quite often if the cyclist forgot to tighten the chain.
Improper chain maintenance is the cause of an accident
In the event of a collapse or breakage of the bicycle chain, with the best outcome, the driver will get off with the fact that he will not be able to go further. But often with this there are more serious consequences. For example, if there is no special guard on the rear wheel, the chain can fall into the spokes, but here the outcome is unfavorable in all cases. Under any combination of circumstances, the spokes of the rear wheel will be bent, and an eight will form on it, and repairing such a breakdown will cost a pretty penny. And there is also a danger that the driver will injure himself or pedestrians, as his rear wheel will jam.
The next danger in the event of chain breakage or loosening applies to those bicycles that do not have a handbrake. Since here the entire braking system is located in the rear wheel carriage, therefore, the driver will no longer be able to brake in the usual way. It’s even scary to imagine if this happens at high speed.
Reasons for loosening chains
Before you begin to tighten the chain, it is important to understand one truth. It’s just as bad for a bicycle when the chain is too tight, as it is when the chain is too tight. The surest way to check the chain tension is to push it from top to bottom, while the normal level of sagging should not be more than 1-1.5 cm.If this value is far beyond its limits, the chain system must be tightened.
Another symptom that should alert the driver is if the chain began to slip.
To begin with, the problem of sagging is most often encountered by owners of regular single-speed bicycles. The thing is that here the chain is not able to tension automatically, as in mountain or other similar types of bicycles.
But why do the chains start to sag? There are two reasons for this. Firstly, any chain has the ability to stretch, despite the fact that it is made of metal. At the same time, cheaper options stretch more, but expensive branded products practically do not have this property.
Secondly, the chain system can weaken if the rear wheel nuts were not tightened well, in this situation, under load, it shifts slightly forward and the tension of the chain mechanism weakens.
What to do if the chain is loose on a mountain bike?
If you encounter the problem of chain sagging on a mountain bike or any other that has several gears, then in such a situation it is changed. The fact is that in such bicycles, the machine is responsible for the chain tension. With the help of a spring, it constantly and automatically corrects the tension in the chain mechanism.
To save money, some craftsmen “cut” the chain, that is, cut it and reduce the number of links. In this case, the links are connected with a special lock. Of course, this option is also possible, but it is important to understand that a stretched chain is a worn out mechanism and it will not last long.
When buying new chains, it is important to know that they are different and may not fit your faithful two-wheeled friend. First of all, you need to make sure what chain pitch is used on your bike model. And you also need to decide on its length, which is usually measured in the number of links.
How to take care of chains
Like any other mechanism, the chain system needs maintenance. All you have to do is lubricate all the links thoroughly from time to time. In the case of rust formation, the metal becomes thinner, in addition, the link rollers become jammed, and the resource of the device is sharply reduced.
It is also important to know that during operation, the elements of the chain system run in to each other. At the same time, various cavities, notches and other minor defects are formed, which, as strange as it may sound, ensure the stability of the system. If the chain is removed, and then put in a different way, as it walked before, or even turned over, accelerated wear will occur. In the worst case, it is also possible to increase the frequency of chain rally. The chain system also wears out quickly if pulled too tight.
How to put the front wheel back
To put the wheel back, you need to do the same as when removing, but in reverse order:
- We put the wheel in the mount so that the rotation is not confused. The direction of rotation is written on the tire, but keep in mind that the bike is upside down. This is done in order to avoid eights when driving. because the tire of the wheel is arranged according to a special technology.
- We fasten the wheel with a nut or an eccentric firmly enough so that it does not fly back when driving.
- Flip the bike.
- Putting the brakes back as they were if you have rim brakes installed.
After that, you need to check the wheel: how it turns and whether it brakes correctly.
How To Use And Adjust Quick Release Skewers
The procedure for removing the rear wheel, although it seems complicated due to the presence of various parts of the transmission, is exactly the same as removing the front wheel. The only thing is that you may have to remove the chain from the axle. if she clings.
The installation of the rear wheel is identical to the installation of the front, but again, pay attention to the transmission and the chain. it can wrap. There is no need to remove it, just imagine how the chain was originally, and twist it in different directions until it falls into place.
That, perhaps, is all the wisdom of removing and installing wheels on a bicycle. As you can see, there is nothing complicated about it.
- Where to go to the sea abroad Great ideas for a seaside holiday abroad. Hotels and attractions.
- Where to go abroad in summer Sights, monuments and other interesting places in Russia.
- Where to travel with a child abroad The most popular and interesting places to visit with children abroad.
NES Game.ru: The best games from childhood on Dandy 8 bit
- Top 100 Dandy Games Really the best warm tube games for Dandy. Everything is free.
- The best dandy races Download free iconic and dandy races right now.
- Games for boys Dendy Download and Play. The best games for boys from the NES.
Pupil.ru: Free training in photography
- Photographer’s Vocabulary Every photographer should know!
- Aperture in photography Why is it needed and why is it so expensive. Answers here!
- Canon or Nikon? Revealing the secrets of choosing a professional SLR camera.
How to remove the rear wheel
Removing the rear wheel is as easy as removing the front. However, before removing the rear wheel from the mounts, you must first remove the chain from the axle, and also open the brakes so that they do not interfere.
How to remove a rear wheel from a bike
The text was prepared by Roman Borisov. Views: 38339.
The question of how to remove a wheel from a bicycle is one of the most relevant of those that are of interest to a novice cyclist. This procedure may be necessary in order to repair a punctured chamber. eliminate the eights (in the case of using the stand), adjust and lubricate the bushings. Of course, you can go to the workshop so as not to worry about the further performance of your two-wheeled vehicle. But what if there is a need to remove a wheel, say, in a forest? Here you already have to do it on your own, and without special knowledge you will not do this.