Why is there a violation of speed switching
To understand what action should be taken to adjust gear shifting, you need to understand what causes can lead to the problem in question. Experts identify several such predisposing factors:
- deformation of the rooster;
- stretching the cable;
- deformation of the speed switch;
- malfunctioning return spring.
How to adjust the front derailleur
There are also clear and simple step-by-step instructions for adjusting the front derailleur:
- Shifting the chain to a smaller star.
- Unscrew the fixing screw and release the cable.
- We find the screw marked “L”, with its help we adjust the position of the frame so that the chain is between the plates of the frame, but does not touch them.
- We stretch the cable, fix it with a screw.
- Now we move the chain in the cassette to a smaller sprocket. it is convenient to do this using the rear derailleur.
- With the front derailleur, move the chain to the middle sprocket and look. if the chain on the second one touches the outer side of the frame everywhere, then you need to increase the cable tension using the drum located on the left shifter.
- We switch the gear to the largest sprocket in the cassette and check. if the chain touches the walls of the frame, you need to move the last element so that the chain is located in the middle. This manipulation can be done using the screw marked “H”.
Correct gear shifting
Now that you’ve figured out how to set up the rear derailleur on your bike, it’s worth investigating how to properly shift the gears on your bike. The fact is that if you do not “click” the gear shift knob, but approach the issue of their choice responsibly, you will significantly extend the life of your bike.
Important! The first rule of thumb to change gears on a bike is that you can only do this when the bike is moving.
If you try to change the speed in a stationary position of the vehicle, it can lead to failure of the transmission. Before you start shifting, the pressure on the pedals will need to be released.
If you need to change gears quickly, try to do so consistently without jumping over them. The fact is that when you miss a few gears, it can break the stars and the derailleur itself. In the same case, when this procedure is carried out sequentially, all units and parts of the transmission will not be damaged.
If you do not know how to adjust the rear derailleur on a bicycle, try not to “throw” the chain between the front sprockets when riding uphill, as this will simply knock the derailleur setting. If you decide to switch between the rear sprockets in this way, then this does not contradict the requirements of the bike’s instruction manual.
How to properly adjust the rear derailleur on a bike?
How to adjust the rear derailleur on a bike is a must for every cycling enthusiast. The thing is that the named unit of any bike is responsible for shifting gears on the bike while driving. If it fails, its normal operation will become impossible.
How to install your Shifter and Rear Derailleur
The gear selector is an important part of a multi-speed bike. Thanks to this component, it becomes possible to move in extreme conditions, which include movement against the wind, ascents, poor road quality. The transmission unit must cope with all these problems. The quality of the ride and the safety of the cyclist depend on the smooth operation of the speed switch. This skill is very useful, and every bike owner should learn how to independently adjust the gear shifter. Each cyclist can make adjustments to the bike’s gear shifters on their own. You need to study the theory in detail by reading the instructions, or using the advice of experienced bike owners.
Before setting the derailleur, the rear derailleur must be adjusted. Placing the bike in the correct position (wheels up) will greatly facilitate the entire adjustment process. So, all the necessary details will be in sight, and it will be much easier to get to them.
Reasons for poor gear shifting:
- physical defects of the switch parts;
- contamination of parts. To prevent this from happening, the components of the transmission unit must be periodically cleaned of dirt, dust and old grease;
- worn out cable with elements of damage. Such a part requires replacement;
- damage to the cock.
If you observe damage, deformation and wear of the constituent parts, they must be replaced as they are practically irreparable.
If all parts are OK, adjust the switch. What is the speed selector made of? The components of the speed switch are as follows:
- The handle for shifting the speeds, located on the steering wheel;
- A shifter that attaches to the handlebars near the handles. Handles and a cable are attached to the shifter. It is with the participation of the cable that the impulse is transmitted from the shifter to the stars;
- Cassette, which includes stars of different sizes;
- front fixing mount;
- rear derailleur, whose main function is to transfer the chain to the necessary sprockets.
What to do if you can’t adjust the bike’s rear derailleur
There are several methods for solving this issue. But if the standard tuning instruction did not work, to tune the rear derailleur you need to:
- dismantle the chain, remove the cable;
- move the switch to the chain position to the smallest star;
- use adjusting bolts (this way you can tighten the cable);
- set the adjusting bolt H to the extreme position;
- move the part called the parallelogram to the big star and adjust the position of the bolt L.
The regulator is fixed with bolts. It must be set to the extreme position. After that, the chain must be displaced in this order: the front cassette is the largest star in diameter, the rear, on the contrary, is the smallest.
Installation and adjustment
Reference: The Shimano Tourney TX is the entry-level model, although the exterior design suggests a higher class.
And putting something more serious on an inexpensive bike used only for riding exclusively on asphalt is pointless. Switching range was important, however, as the city is teeming with hills, hills and mountains.
So, replacing the rear derailleur starts with removing the old noname from the frame. it’s time for Shimano. The link of the chain is revealed. If this is not the case, then you need to use squeeze.
The old switch is unscrewed and removed, and a new one is hung in its place and screwed to the “cock”. a protruding triangle with a hole in the frame. It is worth tightening well, but without undue enthusiasm.
We put the bike chain on the smallest star. Visually, the roller and small star should be in the same line. The small star is the highest speed, therefore we adjust the position of the roller with the screw H.
Help: the letter H is an abbreviation for high gear, that is, top gear.
The next step is to insure against the possibility of the chain hitting the spokes, which is likely if the derailleur goes behind the largest sprocket. To do this, you need to move the switch to the largest star, carefully and without unnecessary effort. In no case by the roller, the mount of which is very easy to bend.
The adjusting screw fixes the position of the switch exactly so that it is opposite the large sprocket. Going behind it is fraught with the loss of knitting needles and good mood. If the switch is too tight, there will be no lower gear.
Queue for the cable. he should walk freely in a shirt. We check the progress and the absence of creases. On this switch model, you can see the place for the cable to pass. We put the chain on the smallest sprocket, tighten the cable to remove the slack, fix it. Thus, installing the rear derailleur and adjusting it are two integral, complementary processes.
Now check the operation of the entire mechanism. There should be no pronounced clicking sounds when pedaling from the rear derailleur side. Switching up and down should be accurate, without jumping and delays. And even if everything fell into place, it works accurately, quietly and without delay. for the first trip it is worth taking a screwdriver with you. Working with a load may well require minor adjustments.
Note that you will have to face such a concept as “preventive maintenance of the switch”, regardless of its price category. As the rollers, which are consumables, wear out, their timely replacement will be required.
Rear Derailleur Replacement
It is believed that installing and adjusting the rear derailleur is much easier than the front derailleur. However, you will have to spend time and effort, but this work will pay off handsomely during the trip.
How to install a derailleur on a shimano bike
The cable is fixed on the spreader. At the command of the shifter, it either loosens or tightens, thereby moving the frame. Despite the simplicity of the device, the dereiler design provides as many as five objects that set the course of its work:
- Cage bolt with nut securing the cable.
- Chain adjuster screw.
- A drum that sets the tension of the cable (in more expensive systems, it is located on the shifter).
- 2 end position limit screws (L. low gears, H. high gears).
As mentioned above, a thorough cleaning precedes a competent setting. Sometimes even such a procedure can have a beneficial effect on the performance of mechanisms. Technological aspects of the preparatory work are as follows:
- Clean derailleur and sprocket cassette.
- Clean old grease from tensioner rollers.
- Wash and lubricate the chain.
Next, you need to release the hummock, for which the tension screws at the shifter and on the rear spreader are screwed in until they stop. The cable should be pulled out of the clamping screw, but it is not necessary to remove it. It will not hurt to inspect it in order to find damage and, if necessary, lubricate it.
Shimano Mountain Bike Rear Derailleur Adjustment Screws: Technical Minimum
Despite the variety of parallelogram-type spreaders from the Japanese manufacturer, their design and principle of operation are similar. In the process of aligning the device, five elements are involved:
- 1. fastening the cable in the form of an embedded bolt with a nut.
- 2. screw for tensioning the cable with a drum.
- 3. a screw for adjusting the chain tension.
- L. limit screw for adjusting low gears.
- H. limit screw for correcting high gears.
Special screws L and H, which are used to adjust the rear derailleur of a bike with Shimano Alivio, physically restrict the movement of the mechanism, which prevents the chain from jumping off. In practice, they are used mainly only when debugging a new transfer device, subsequently the procedure is not needed.
In the event that the cock or the mechanism itself is bent, adjusting the stop screws can solve the problem for a short time. Their sensitivity is not very high, so 1-2 turns at a time are quite justified.
The device and reasons for the failure of the rear chain spreader
To set up a Shimano front derailleur, you need the following set of tools: a screwdriver, a set of hex wrenches, and a pair of pliers. The main task here is to correctly set the speed device at the beginning of the setup.
When the device is set up correctly, the bike chain can only travel 1-2 mm from the chain toggling it. The frame moves both horizontally and vertically during gearshifts.
When adjusting the front derailleur, be sure to keep the derailleur frame parallel to the chainrings. When the device is set to the largest sprocket (i.e. set to the highest speed), the distance between the ends of the sprocket teeth and the bottom of the frame should be about 3 mm. Shimano derailleur height and rotation are easy to adjust. you just need to loosen the mounting bolt using the polyhedron. Adjust the position of the device, but do not tighten the bolt. you may need to move the device during the setup process. Now you can start setting up. Set the speed to the lowest. Unscrew the cable holder and release it. Then unscrew the cable tension grandmother until it stops and return it 1-2 turns back.
Now set the speed to maximum. You need to get the position of the device at which the gap between the chain and the part of the frame farthest from the frame will be minimal. This is done with the High screw. Rotate it, making sure that the device itself does not move.
Then test the speed control. To adjust the rear derailleur of the Shimano bike up and down, you can twist the grandmother, if the chain comes off the stars. turn the bolts: High. if with a large sprocket, Low. if with a small.
How to adjust the high gear limiter?
For alignment, the chain is set to high gear with the smallest sprocket at the back and the largest sprocket at the front. For those who are interested in how to adjust the rear derailleur on a mountain bike, it is important to remember. the essence of the adjustment is to align the rear small sprocket with the tensioner rollers. This task is accomplished by rotating the adjusting screw H:
- clockwise. the frame is deflected towards the large asterisk;
- counterclockwise. the frame moves to the outside.