Instructions for self-replacement of the squeeze chain
Usually, an auxiliary tool is used to remove the chain from the bike. a squeeze. With its help, it is easy to remove even one-piece chain. The sequence of work is as follows:
- Decide on the section of the chain for parsing. In the case of re-parsing the chain, it is preferable to take the non-repairable section of the chain.
- Insert the chain into the squeeze so that the pin is opposite the clamping axis.
- Secure the chain with the knurled screw.
- Twist the handle. squeezing the pin out.
- Remove unnecessary links using a squeeze, pressing out the entire pin.
- Connect the chain links. In this case, the pin located in the cheek should point outward towards you. First you need to run the chain through the rear and front derailleurs. Then place the chain links one on top of the other so that the pin aligns with the bushing.
- Unclench the “cheeks” with pliers. After the ends of the chain are in place, the outward-facing pin will prevent the links from separating.
- Insert a squeeze into the link so that the axes of the pin and the stem match perfectly, and rotate the funnels, pressing the pin into the hole.
- Check the symmetry of the position of the pin and the “cheeks” of the links. Correct their position if necessary.
- Check the links for mobility relative to each other. Increase mobility with pliers if necessary.
Squeeze for the chain and how to remove the chain without squeezing
What could be better than a day out of town cycling! However, the pleasure can be overshadowed by unexpected circuit breakage. If domestic bicycles for the most part consist of split sections of the chain, the locks between which can be divided without much difficulty, then in sports bikes the chains are often one-piece. About how the chain is removed, and what devices there are for this, we will talk today.
Model with a lock
How to check if the chain has a lock? Easy peasy! A quick inspection to see if the chain has a link that is different from its neighbors. This is the castle. You can disconnect it by sliding the pins on each of the links with your hands or pliers. To assemble the chain, you need to do the same in reverse order.
When is the chain removed from the bike??
Seasoned cyclists remove the chain regularly. For example, in the case when the replacement of the system or only the cassette entailed a change in the number of teeth, the chain will have to be shortened by removing the teeth, or lengthened by adding additional ones. In addition, the chain is removed in order to:
- boil in solid oil;
- replace (if repair is no longer possible).
The sequence of actions for removing the chain from the bicycle without squeezing with your own hands
Pomace is a useful tool. However, it is not always at hand. What then is to be done? The prospect of staying with a non-working bike in the middle of pristine nature, somewhere many kilometers from the city, does not look attractive. You can remove the chain from the bike without squeezing. It will not be easy to do it yourself, but it is quite possible. Let’s consider in detail the options for parsing the chain with and without a lock.
Model without lock
In this case, it will not be easy without squeezing. And the result will be unpredictable. But, if there are no other options, choose the lesser of 2 evils. So, we remove the chain without a lock from the bike with improvised means in this order.
- Screw an ordinary vice to the table.
- Fix the chain in a vise by placing a nut on one side, the hole of which corresponds to the pin.
- Stick on the other side with a small screw with a cap.
- Clamping the vice, push the pin ball into the nut hole.
Summing up, we can confidently say that squeezing is an irreplaceable thing on the road for every cyclist. And if a broken chain with a lock can still be removed from a bicycle without this device, then, as for a chain without a lock, it will be difficult to do without it. However, in case of form major circumstances, you can use the instructions above.
Installing the chain.
Before installing the chain, set the front and rear derailleur to the positions corresponding to the smallest sprockets.
We put the chain on the bike. It is important to slide the chain onto the tensioner rollers correctly. The lower roller bypasses the chain to the left, and the upper one to the right.
We combine the open links of the chain. If we use a replaceable axis, then we insert it with a pointed end into the holes of the segment.
We fill the chain in the squeeze, and fix it with a clamping screw (in the photo. on the left)
How to Size and Install a New Chain | Build a Road Bike #09
Press the axle into the chain by rotating the squeeze handle. We stop when the axle is almost completely immersed in the hole (compare with adjacent links).
If we use a replaceable axis, then break off the pointed end with pliers.
We check that just the chain in the just connected chain segment, it bends freely, without jamming. If this is not the case, then we check how far the ends of the axis protrude from different sides of the chain. If necessary, the axle must be pushed in the desired direction with a squeeze.
Now you need to bend the chain a little in the lateral direction to provide better mobility of the links. Done.
Information provided by Maxim Kompaniets, www.bike-repair.narod.ru
Sources: http://rawalan.freezeet.ru/591314978-kak-ustanovit-cep-na-velosiped/, http://velosreda.ru/kak-snyat-i-ustanovit-tsep-velosipeda, http: // www.sportelement.ru / bstory / uid = 478
Rear Derailleur Setting. Video
Fitting the bike chain.
On domestic road bicycles, chains are made split, one segment of such a chain has a special lock. On sports bicycles, it is impossible to make the chain detachable, because this lock interferes with gear shifting.
When buying a new chain, you need to find out which chains fit the system and cassette installed on your bike.
For 9-speed cassettes, use a 6.5mm chain like SHIMANO CN-7701 or CN-HG93.
For 6. 8 speed cassettes, use a 7.1mm chain, such as SHIMANO CN-HG50 or CN-IG51
Chains are sold in two types. boxed and standard (almost like computer components in Retail and OEM supplies). Usually the box contains a replaceable axle for connecting the chain segments. One end of such an axle is sharpened, which makes it easier to install. After the axle is pressed in, this pointed end must be broken off with pliers.
If the chain is not equipped with a special pointed axle (like many chains sold without a box), then the axle must be inserted into one of the segment plates.
Parallelogram Spring Problems
For better operation of the return spring, you need to wash it. Then lubricate after cleaning.
With a lock
To remove the chain, you need to open the lock. There are several types of locks, but the processes for opening them are similar, for this you need to close the axles of the lock and remove the cover.
If you have problems opening the locks, you can use tools such as special pliers to open locks.
Troubleshooting Front Derailleur. video
How to adjust the rear derailleur
The rear derailleur is a machine that transfers the chain from one sprocket of the rear wheel to another. Today, the vast majority of high-speed bicycles are equipped with such a switch.
The rear derailleur consists of the following elements.
Setting the rear derailleur is necessary if the mechanism is out of order, the chain jumps over the necessary stars, the speed does not switch, a grinding or loud sounds are heard. You can configure the mechanism and debug its work yourself. You will need a Phillips screwdriver and a hex wrench.
First, make sure the derailleur is vertical and parallel to the bike. If everything is in order, you can proceed to the setup. For convenience, turn the bike upside down, placing it on the saddle and handlebars, this will give access to the switch itself and the adjustment screws.
- First, lower the chain to the smallest sprocket. Do this with the shifter on the right handlebar of the bike, it is she who is responsible for the rear derailleur.
- Loosen the screw holding the cable. This is done in order to unlock the switch.
- Prepare a screwdriver and find the screw with the Latin letter H.
- Move the switch so that the sprockets on which the chain lies (one star. on the cassette, two stars. on the switch) are in the same plane, that is, they form one line.
- Take the cable with your hand. It must be pulled out as much as possible and fixed by tightening the screw.
- Check if the switch is working properly. If it does not move well to large stars, turn the thumbs counterclockwise, pulling the cable.
- Now move the chain to the smallest star using the shifters.
- Find the screw with the Latin letter L.
- Change the position of the derailleur so that the largest sprocket in the cassette lies in the same plane with the derailleur foot, forming a straight line with it.