To glue the tires on their own, several compounds are sold, moisture resistant and designed for difficult working conditions. for heavy loads.
It is not really a glue, but a cold vulcanization agent, which is much more effective.
Types of adhesives for repairing a bicycle camera:
- Moment. Suitable for universal, “crystal”, “extra” and rubber. These compounds are used for all rubber compounds. Complete drying of the patch takes 24 hours. For quick repairs, pay attention to the “superglue” from this series. It is sold in small tubes that you can always have with you and use when needed.
- Tip Top SC. Consists of two components. It is used at a temperature of 10-25 degrees. Demanding for cleaning and degreasing glued surfaces. To obtain glue, mix 10 grams of base and a drop of hardener, smear the joints and press them together. The camera will be ready for travel in 10 minutes.
Quite a rare two-component adhesive, but one of the most tenacious.
If it is impossible to properly repair the wheel in the field. PVC electrical tape or stationery tape will help you get home. The method is very unreliable, but it will help to drive several kilometers.
As a temporary measure. quite yourself, in other cases it is better to take a specialized glue for rubber.
It is necessary to disassemble the wheel and find the puncture site. In case of minor damage, carefully wrap the camera over the puncture for 2-3 layers. Insert the tube into the tire with extreme care, without breaking the “wrapper”.
This method can help you get to the house, where you can already seal the camera properly.
How to glue with your own hands
Beginner cycling enthusiasts know little about how to remove a wheel, disassemble it and which side to glue the patch to the bicycle camera. Have to learn how to deal with it on your own.
Biking and Insta360 ONE R Filming Tips
To begin with, we just try to find the place of damage by carefully examining the surface of the camera.
Using a repair kit
Beginner cyclists often ask themselves the question: how to seal a bicycle camera using a repair kit. Detailed instructions are written on the packaging, but the sequence of the process can be confused.
Carefully study the instructions that come with such a kit.
The kit includes: 5-6 rubber pads for all types of damage, special quick-drying glue, a piece of sandpaper for cleaning the joints, a bottle of acetone for degreasing the surface and plastic assemblies. There are kits sold with self-adhesive adhesive patches. It is enough to remove the protective film from the cover and apply it to the cleaned surface of the camera. Removing such a patch is quite problematic from rubber, so when applying it you need to be careful and precise. The patch will serve until the camera is replaced, they can be applied countless times.
The adhesive composition is enough for the number of patches that are attached.
Before starting repair work, pay attention to the condition of the rubber. Severe abrasions and many small cracks signal that it is time to change the camera, and not glue it.
Carefully remove the nipple from the rim and take out the camera.
Preparing the camera
To find the puncture site and make repairs, you need to remove the wheel from the bike.
It will be necessary to disassemble the bicycle wheel, seal the hole and put everything back.
On mountain and sports bikes, the wheel is latched and removed in half a minute. Simple road bikes will require a wrench.
How to remove it correctly
When disassembling, you need to remove the cap, unscrew the spool and deflate the bicycle wheel, so it is easier to reach the camera. With a plastic mounting we hook the rim in several places, 2-3 points are enough to pull out the bike camera. Instead of a mounting, you can insert a screwdriver or an ordinary spoon to bend the tire away from the rim. Gently pull the camera out of the tire, and you can start looking for the place of damage.
For an experienced cyclist, this procedure takes about 15 minutes, a beginner will need about half an hour.
Sealing the camera on the bike
Lovers of fresh air switch to a bicycle for a pleasant pastime or to get to work, which is economical and useful. A road accident can happen any time the wheel is deflated. A beginner may be faced with the question: how to glue the bicycle camera at home so as not to contact the service.
If you have a bicycle, then sooner or later you will face such a situation as a puncture of the camera.
The better to glue the camera
When riding a bike, you should always have the necessary wheel removal wrench set and a repair kit with you. It will help at home and in the field when repairing a puncture. Driving on a flat tire can compromise the integrity of the tire and deform the rim. This will result in a wheel change, which is an expensive purchase.
First of all, you need glue, which, after drying, retains elasticity, that is, does not harden.
The required set is very limited, which allows repairs to be carried out in almost any conditions.
How to properly glue a bike camera
So, you have found the place where the rubber of the bike was damaged. Now is the time to start home repairs and seal the damage. The procedure for gluing is as follows.
- If the surface of your bike tube is wet (you dipped it in water looking for a defect), wait until it is completely dry. Plus, all air must be removed from it before gluing;
- Using emery paper or a perforated metal plate, sand the area to be glued. The size of the sanding area should be 10 mm larger than the patch diameter. After sanding, try not to touch this area with your hands. Otherwise, it will not be possible to glue firmly;
- Remove a layer of protective film from the surface of the patch;
- Apply glue. It can be applied in different ways: on the puncture site, patches, or on both surfaces at the same time. Pay attention to the indicators indicated in the instructions: duration of exposure in air and the period of time required for complete polymerization of the glue;
- Press the patch to the damaged area, forcefully squeeze the air out from under it. Press down on the central part of it and gradually move towards the edges. The sealing procedure becomes much more effective if you put the bike camera on a flat surface, and then press down with a load for 5 minutes to seal the problem area more reliably.
Many argue that you can ride a bike immediately after gluing, but it is advisable to wait about half an hour.
So, you did everything right, and the camera still lowers over time, despite the sticking. The reasons may be as follows.
- The air continues to poison from under the patch. If you find this one of the methods already described, you will have to do it all over again: remove the bicycle tire and stick the patch again;
- Check for other punctures that are not as large as the one already sealed? If there is, then they need to be glued;
- Air leaks at the nipple. They can be detected by applying a soap solution to the nipple. If characteristic bubbles are found, tighten the nipple with a wrench;
- The destruction of the metallized cord on the tires is great. The problem can be solved by replacing the tire. No amount of pulling the cord helps. If the bicycle tire is not replaced, tire punctures and sticking will occur regularly.
- For overhaul, it is necessary to remove the damaged wheel;
- Disconnect the brake system and fenders;
- Place the bike upside down;
- Unscrew the screws on the bushing and eccentric;
- Remove the wheel from the hub;
- Take out the camera;
- Unscrew the cap from the nipple and lower the camera;
Important! Some models of cameras automatically release air when you unscrew the cap, others can slow down, so you should hold the outlet with your fingers until the camera is completely free of air.
Remove the tube from the rim using two mounting blades.
Wheel repair without glue
In the extreme position, you can seal the bike camera with electrical tape or a moistened piece of plastic bag. These simple ways will help you get to your destination, where you can professionally repair your camera.
In this case, the tire is cleaned, and a patch is applied in such a way that it is pressed against the surface of the chamber by pressure.
This method is short-lived and requires compliance with certain rules:
- The road surface must be dry and smooth;
- Do not overload the wheel;
- The patch must be constantly exposed to pressure, for this it is recommended to drive without stopping to the destination.
How to find out the optimal tire pressure level? Read in the article: “What should be the pressure in the bicycle tires”.
Covering the camera
- The surface is cleaned with gasoline, kerosene, D-40 or a damp cloth;
- Dries up;
- Sandpaper for better adhesion;
- The protective film is removed from the patch;
- Glue is applied to the patch area and wheel;
- The final stage is a tight joining of the glued surfaces, after fixing, it is advisable to secure the object with a vice.
The gluing time varies depending on the quality and specifics of the adhesive base. Instant bonding solutions usually require a 30-minute fixation, the rubber glue dries completely only one day after application.
Therefore, at home, it is better to use glue for rubber surfaces, and in hiking, glue with instant fixing is suitable.
After finishing the work, the camera must be pumped up and all the marked places must be checked. The patch itself does not have to be specially purchased, it can be cut from old cameras.
How to properly glue the bike camera using standard methods:
How to replace a bike camera
Going on a long cycling trip, it is reasonable to take a set of tools and an additional camera on the road, thanks to which it will be possible to change the spoiled one and continue the trip. This will help not to use adhesive mixtures and significantly save time:
We change the wheel ourselves (click to enlarge)
- first, you need to remove the wheel from the vehicle, then thoroughly wipe the surface of the tire and rim;
- we put the wheel on the side and with the help of chalk we apply the markings opposite the nipple;
- unscrew the nipple, letting out all the air;
- pry the edge of the tire with a bead spatula, pulling it out;
- carefully remove the camera from the rim and look for the damaged area;
- pump up the camera, finding and marking the puncture site. Next, we completely lower it;
- we apply a second mark opposite the damage;
- then gently push a new tire into the rim with one side, pulling the nipple into the hole. We put on another side and swing the wheel to the required volume, screw on the cap.
How to glue air mattresses yourself
What to bring with you in case of a puncture
Everyone is going on a journey in their own way, sometimes not at all. The understanding that you need to be “fully armed”, as a rule, comes after the wheel is lowered in bad weather far from home. As luck would have it, there is nothing, not even a pump. It takes a whole hour, and sometimes much longer, to ride the bike “on the bit”, returning home chilled and often at night.
To prevent this from happening, you need to have the following minimum set, which will save you in almost any situation and allow you to carry out repairs yourself:
Pump. As the saying goes, “no comment.” If you have everything, but you forget the pump, as they say, “congratulations”;
LED headlamp. Helps with repairs at night. Even if you have a super headlight on your bike, it will be inconvenient and often impossible to use it by deploying it to the place of the breakdown;
Spare camera. This allows you to avoid the most unpleasant incident. valve separation. Without a spare camera, you will be powerless. Among other things, it is very convenient to have a “watch” camera. You save travel time by simply replacing the camera. At home, you can safely fix the camera and put it back in, and hide the camera in the “glove compartment”.
A set of “editors”. They are used to dismantle the wheel and to reassemble it. In Soviet times, they used a flat universal wrench, a screwdriver, a spoon handle. everything that can fit between the rim and the tire.
Bicycle first aid kit The first aid kit deserves special mention. A “classic first aid kit” should have something like the following repair kit:
- Rubber patches of different sizes (you can cut it yourself from an unusable camera).
- Medium grit sandpaper, which can rub well on rubber, but looks lighter).
- How to glue? The classic first aid kit comes with a small tube of rubber glue.
The main task is to ensure that the camera glue does not “suddenly” dry out. The fact is that the glue can just “suddenly” dry out, and just when a puncture occurs.
Modern versions of the first-aid kit are more compact, in terms of volume they occupy no more than a quarter of a box of matches. The fact is that instead of glue, they simply contain self-adhesive patches. Their great advantage is that you don’t have to wait for the glue to dry. You just need to firmly press the patch to the camera and “forget”.
- It is also advisable to have a water bottle. It can be drinking water, or maybe after a puncture you will be able to find a small body of water with a convenient descent point.
- Regular ballpoint pen.
- Mosquito and midge repellent. This is an important accessory, especially in summer in Siberia.
- A pair of rag gloves (in case you have to remove the chain to free the rear wheel. it’s not good to ride with dirty hands).
Why Camera Tears Occur
In addition to commonplace punctures, camera breaks are possible on a bicycle.
A gap is a linear defect that has not a point size, but visible boundaries. This is because when jumping off curbs, when riding aggressively, the camera experiences significant shock loads, and the quality of the rubber is very important. Sometimes, as in the picture, the rupture of the chamber occurs along with the tire.
What is the most “tragic” gap for the camera?
The camera cannot be repaired, perhaps, with one type of rupture. a valve tearing along part of the circumference.
A sign of such an event is a deafening hiss and the transformation of the camera into a “rag” in 3-5 seconds. After that, the bike camera can only be used for patches.
How to prevent a puncture of the camera
In many cases, the puncture can be prevented. To do this, you need to follow some simple conditions:
- when installing the camera for the first time, it must be dry, preferably powdered with talcum powder;
- there should be no debris, small stones in the tire;
- the wheel should be carefully inspected. there should be no protruding ends of the spokes, the safety tape should be intact, fit snugly to the rim;
- the valve of the chamber should be threaded into the rim perpendicularly, and not crooked;
- During the ride, the experienced cyclist looks at the path 5-7 meters in front of the bike, noting “on the subconscious” the shine of fragments of glass, metal, planks, wire, accumulation of suspicious debris, small and sharp stones. If you cannot go around them, it is better to walk (in this case, the weight of the bike will not be enough for a puncture;
- if, nevertheless, a shard of a bottle “turned out” from under the front wheel with a crunch, swing your bike so that the rear wheel does not pass over the same dangerous object. After all, there is nothing more offensive than ripping through both wheels with the same shard of a bottle or a nail firmly sticking out of the board;
- try to “jump” less from curbs by loading the rear wheel, especially if you have a lot of weight.
How to properly glue a bike camera
A punctured bicycle tube is the most common cause of a cyclist’s sudden stop. At the same time, oddly enough, a puncture is not a breakdown, but an annoying but inevitable incident. Today we will talk about how to glue a bicycle camera.
On the one hand, camera punctures on a bicycle should happen less often than on a car, because a car has twice as many wheels, and their contact area with the road is also larger. But in fact, it turns out that cars for the most part move on roads with good coverage. And cyclists “collect” all sorts of dangerous items on the side of the road. And the tire on the bicycle is much thinner, and the load on it is greater.
Sequence of actions in case of an accident
How to glue correctly? Let’s analyze the sequence of actions in case you do not have a spare camera. As many years of practice show, the inconveniences in nature are as follows:
- inability to sit down;
- the presence of mosquitoes, midges and other “bloodsuckers”.
- After making sure that you are “shaking” hard and the wheel is flat, first of all try to pump it up. It is possible that the puncture was half an hour ago, and the camera is “holding”. In this case, after making one or two pumping up, you can safely get home and eliminate the defect in comfortable conditions.
- If the wheel “drastically lowers” in less than a minute, you need to choose an even place, put the bike “on the butt”.
- Using the eccentrics, loosen the wheel fastening in the fork stays, be sure to disconnect the brake pads (V-brake) in order to remove the wheel. In the event of a puncture of the rear wheel, you need to move the lever of the shifters on the right to the smallest driven sprocket, and on the left to the smallest drive sprocket, disconnect the brake pads and, wearing gloves, remove the wheel.
- The most crucial moment is that the wheel needs to be disassembled. To do this, the mounting is inserted into the gap between the rim and the tire, and then it acts as a lever, and the tire is outside the rim.
- After running the assembly around the rim (parallel to the spokes), the tire begins to wobble. Now, on the other hand, you can pull out the camera and carefully, taking care not to damage, release the valve from the hole in the rim.
Montare petic camera bicicleta / Mounting tube patch bicycle
Now you can diagnose. Sometimes it happens that the nail continues to stick out in the tire with the point inward. If overlooked, then, despite the repair, you will immediately receive a second puncture.
- For diagnostics, the chamber is inflated to an elastic state.
- The primary localization of the puncture is determined by the place of hissing.
- If you place the camera with a hissing spot against your lips, you can feel the breeze from the air current.
- You can then moisten the intended puncture site with water or simply spit on it. The place where the bubbles originate is the puncture site.
Sometimes it is not possible to identify the hole. In this case, the entire chamber is wetted or placed under water (if possible). Sometimes it happens that the chamber is intact, but the valve is “poisoned”. If there is no spare chamber, then you can try to move the valve inside or cover it with chewing gum after pumping the chamber.
- Once a place is found, it can be easily lost. We take a pen and mark it with a cross or a circle.
- To properly glue it, we thoroughly dry the camera and clean the place with sandpaper about 1 sq. see based on a point puncture. You can not clean, but degrease, for example, with alcohol.
- Then we also clean the surface of the selected patch.
- The glue is smeared over the chamber (first layer), a minute or two is waited until the glue dries.
- Then apply the second layer on top of the first, wait 3-5 minutes.
- Then the surfaces are tightly connected, so that they do not “ride” relative to each other.
- To glue the camera, the glue is kept for 1-3 minutes, and then the camera is carefully laid in place, a valve is threaded.
- The wheel “skips” and slowly inflates.
Of course, it is better to have a modern first aid kit without glue. Attached and “forgot”. Better yet, have a whole new bike camera. Better yet, try not to ride where there is a high risk of “catching a nail”.
If you can’t fix the camera or you forgot something, then you have a way out of the situation: in the most extreme case, you can try to fill the tire tightly with grass or hay and carefully continue driving. In this case, you will move, although without the usual comfort, but much better than on the “bone shakers” that existed before the invention of rubber tubes and tires.
Bicycle tube puncture. how to glue it “forever”?
No matter how attentive the cyclist is, one day he will still have to face a puncture. You can take your bike to a workshop or tape the bike camera yourself. This is not difficult. You will need a special repair kit, superglue or just a patch. We will tell you about several ways to solve the problem.
No patch or glue
When going on a trip, it is advisable for a cyclist to have both a repair kit and a spare camera on hand. But there are different situations.
If you don’t have anything at hand, there are at least two ways to make your bike fit for use:
- Tie a knot on the camera. Remove the camera from the bike and find the puncture site. Let’s go down. We tie a knot so that the puncture is isolated from the main area of the chamber. Pump up and put on the wheel.
- Stuff the tire with cones or grass. We take out the punched camera. We tear the grass or collect the cones (the latter is better). We fill the tire tightly.
The methods may seem barbaric. But they do work. It is better to travel slowly on bumps or with a knot than to drag the bike on yourself for many kilometers.
How To Film Your Bike Rides Using An Action Camera – GCN’s Pro Tips
Using a repair kit
Repair kits are called “bicycle first aid kit”. They consist of spare parts, patches and glue. Expensive kits can be completed with a pump. The standard set includes:
- 6 patches;
- 5 ml of glue;
- 2 beads;
Such a repair kit will cost about 200 rubles. How to use it correctly:
- Dismantle the wheel.
- Determine the puncture site.
- Sand with grout.
- Take a patch of the correct size.
- Peel off the foil.
- Apply glue to the repaired area and patch.
- Wait 1-2 minutes.
- Press down and flatten the patch.
- Continue pressing it in for 10 minutes (use a vise, press).
You can ride a bike with the patch in 15 minutes. But it’s better to leave the camera in a vice for 2 hours.
Using electrical tape, scotch tape, stickers, adhesive plaster
Field renovation is partly a creative process. If you connect your savvy, the camera can be repaired with improvised means. Look in your backpack for adhesive tape or remove the sticker from the frame. And if among the things there is a skein of duct tape or scotch tape. it’s generally great.
How to glue the bike camera with improvised means:
- Find the puncture site and lower the camera.
- Seal the damaged area by pressing the adhesive tape with force.
- Inflate the chamber slightly (until an air bubble begins to form in the hole).
- Wrap the patches tightly on top of 2-3 layers of adhesive tape. You can tear the bag into strips and wrap the camera with it.
Most often, on the road, cyclists notice that the rear wheel is flat. If there are doubts about the quality of the repair, it is recommended to put the damaged tire on the front wheel and do not lean on the steering wheel while driving. Thus, the load on it will decrease, and the chances of safely reaching the parking lot will increase.
We learned how to deal with punctured cameras quickly, easily and without any effort on the part of the cyclist. All that is needed is to pour anti-puncture liquid inside the chamber and spin the wheel well (drive several kilometers). The composition will be evenly distributed. After that, when a puncture occurs, the liquid will immediately seal the hole and prevent air from escaping. The cyclist will not even notice that the puncture has occurred.
Popular anti-puncture fluids:
The liquid remains active for 2 years and protects against 100 punctures with a diameter of 3–6 mm. That is, during the period declared by the manufacturer, the camera does not have to be glued with your own hands. But you need to take care of safety in advance. Whole, undamaged chambers are filled with sealant.