How to use the repair kit?
An example of a complete set of a Chinese-made repair kit:
- portable case;
- a set of keys of different sizes;
- accessories for removing the tube from the tire;
- a tube of glue;
- a device for cleaning the tire surface;
- large, medium and small patches.
Sets of this type cost from 500 rubles. They are equipped with tools that allow you to repair the bike yourself without resorting to the services of a workshop. A simplified repair kit consists of a set of patches, glue and sandpaper to clean the puncture site. It costs less.
- Park Tool Vulcanizing Patch Kit for 280 rubles. Contains 4 round (25 mm diameter) and 2 oval (25 × 35 mm) patches, glue, sandpaper.
- “Lezyne Smart Kit” at the price of 290 rubles. Consists of a sheet of sandpaper and 6 patches coated on one side with a super sticky adhesive layer.
- Park Tool Super Patch Kit for 360 rubles. Contains a sheet of sandpaper and 6 self-adhesive patches with a diameter of 25 mm.
- Green Cycle YC-129A for 278 rubles. Contains a tube of glue, sandpaper, hooks for removing the tube from the tire, round patches.
- dismantle the wheel;
- remove the tube from the tire;
- find and mark the place of damage;
- release air from the chamber;
- clean the surface of the chamber at the puncture site until the dirt is completely removed and a black matte color is obtained;
- apply a thin layer of glue to and around the hole;
- print the patch, being careful not to touch the orange degreased side with your fingers;
- apply the patch with the grease-free side to the area greased with glue and press down with your fingers;
- remove the protective film from the outside of the patch;
- wait for the glue drying period specified in the instructions;
- inflate the tire and check the tightness.
How to make a bicycle camera patch at home?
These types of repairs do not guarantee long-term results, but they are not required to do so. The purpose of the temporary patch is to seal the puncture and make it possible to get on the damaged bike to the house or another place where you can make high-quality repairs.
- plastic wrap tied tightly around the damaged area;
- insulating tape;
- medical plaster;
- a piece of cardboard, rubber or PVC cloth, planted on double-sided tape.
After the camera is repaired in this way, care should be taken to ensure that the temporary patch does not move from its place. To do this, the camera is placed in a tire and inflated more than usual. Excess air inflates the chamber and strongly presses its walls, including the patched area, to the inside of the tire, preventing it from moving while driving.
What is the best glue to use?
The glue must be compatible with rubber, be waterproof, maintain strength under conditions of increased pressure, and have convenient packaging. An important characteristic is the polymerization period of a particular adhesive.
If the repair is not urgent, then you can use long-drying adhesives, for example: “Sprut” (40 rubles / 50 ml), 88-CA (50 rubles / 60 ml), “Moment-1 Classic” (110 rubles / 50 ml ). The listed formulations dry out within a day and are inexpensive. However, they are not suitable for urgent repairs. Once glued, the bike cannot be used for 24 hours, which is not always acceptable.
For instant elimination of air leaks and repairs in the field, quick-drying adhesives are more suitable: Loctite Super Attak Gel (300 rubles / 3 ml) and its domestic analogue Super Moment Gel (50 rubles / 3 ml). The advantage of these formulations is polymerization within 5 seconds. The disadvantage is higher cost for less volume. In addition, the use of such superglue requires a certain skill, since an incorrectly applied patch will instantly adhere to the camera, and it will not be possible to re-glue it.
How to glue a bicycle camera at home and is it possible to do without glue?
All bicycle owners are familiar with the situation when a tire suddenly blows out. This trouble usually happens at the most inopportune moment and can disrupt plans. In the past, the most reliable solution was to repair the chamber using vulcanization in specialized workshops. Now there are new materials that have greatly simplified the repair procedure. Now you do not need to carry your bicycle tube to the workshop, you can glue it yourself. We will discuss what will be needed for repairs and what is the best way to eliminate air leakage if at the time of damage a person is far from home.
Is it possible to repair the camera without glue?
You can seal the hole in your bike tube without glue. Recently, a product has appeared on the market that allows you to eliminate even multiple holes without sealing. This product is called anti-puncture fluid and is a suspension of carbon fiber particles in a viscous polymer. Polymer with fibers is poured into the chamber and, under the action of centrifugal force, is distributed along its walls in an even layer.
At the moment of puncture, the air stream rushes outward and carries away the fibers that get stuck in the hole. The resulting plug is impregnated with the liquid component of the sealant and firmly seals the hole. The resulting microlat is inside and is additionally held by the air pressure in the chamber cavity. This method can be used both for express repairs and for preventing air leaks in case of damage.
The bottle with anti-puncture liquid is equipped with a tip through which the composition can be poured into the chamber through a nipple. A huge plus of this method is that you do not need to remove the wheel from the bike and remove the camera to fix it.
Another method of sealing damaged rubber has been known for a long time and is called hot vulcanization. The puncture site is pressed and heated to the melting point of the rubber. This temperature is 140-150 ° C and can be obtained not only in a tire workshop, but also at home using an iron.
- release air from the chamber;
- clean the surface in the puncture area from dirt and sand with sandpaper;
- put on a table or other horizontal surface with a puncture up;
- apply a ready-made patch or a piece of rubber cut by yourself;
- put the temperature regulator at 150 ° C and turn on the iron;
- cover the patch with a sheet of paper or a thick cotton cloth and put a hot iron on it;
- press with an iron for 5 minutes;
- remove the iron and paper, let the rubber cool completely;
- check the quality of the repair.
- release the brakes on the wheel to be repaired;
- release the eccentric;
- remove the wheel using a wrench and lay it horizontally;
- lower the bike to the ground with its left side down, so as not to damage the speed switch;
- bleed off the remaining air from the chamber by opening the nipple;
- hook the edge of the tire over the side with one of the plastic dismantling blades;
- using the second paddle to remove the tire in a circular motion;
- pull the camera out from under the free edge, trying not to displace the tire relative to the wheel rim;
- inspect the tire and feel it with your hands in order to find the spikes, glass fragments or other sharp objects that caused the puncture.
The next step is to fix the camera in one of the following ways:
- repair kit;
- planting self-made patches on glue;
- temporary repairs using scrap materials;
- the imposition of a liquid patch or sealant;
The sealed tube is then checked for leaks and inserted back into the tire. This is done like this:
- insert the camera nipple into the hole in the wheel rim;
- moving in a circle, tuck the camera into the tire with your hands;
- pump up the camera a little, about half;
- fill the previously disassembled edge of the tire under the rim;
- make sure the tube and tire are in the correct position;
- pump up the chamber to the pressure recommended by the manufacturer;
- install the wheel;
- twist the eccentric;
- fasten the brakes.
How to find the puncture site of the camera?
The first step is to find and mark the location of the air leak. To do this, remove the wheel from the bicycle and remove the tube from the tire. Large defects can be seen on visual inspection. They help to detect the whistling of air coming out of the hole.
However, situations are even more complicated. What should a cyclist do if he stumbles upon a scattering of thorns and damages the camera in several places? There are several ways to find punctures in this case:
- With water. This method is used if there is a nearby container with water or a reservoir. The inflated bicycle tube is immersed in the water completely and you watch where the air bubbles come from. Places found are marked with a ballpoint pen.
- The tactile way. The section of the camera where the hole is supposed to be located is brought up to the face. The sensitive skin of the face or lips is better able to sense even small leaks, from which the air escapes silently.
- Using foam. The soap solution is whipped, the resulting foam is applied to the surface of the tire. Instead of soap, you can mix dishwashing detergent or shampoo with water. Damage points can be found by rapidly expanding single bubbles.
- With the use of powder. The surface of the chamber is sprinkled with powder, talc, flour, starch or other fine powder. In field conditions, it can be replaced with fine dust. At the site of damage, the escaping air will blow away the powder.
During a puncture in the field, not everyone has a repair kit on hand. There are other methods, like gluing a bicycle tire without glue, to get home. You can glue it with electrical tape, wrapping the puncture site well, or use a plastic bag: moisten a piece with water and attach it to the hole. Inflate the wheel so that the polyethylene squeezes tightly into the puncture site.
Any of these methods are suitable as a temporary measure. Under some circumstances, such repairs may be detrimental to the bicycle camera and may impair product performance. The main condition is not to put a heavy load on transport during movement.
How to seal the bike camera
Manufacturers offer anti-puncture bike tires, but they are rough and heavy. These tires are mainly used by athletes for mountain skiing.
Selection of materials and tools
For repairs, you will need the following kit:
A set of patches, bicycle assemblies
Medium abrasive sandpaper
The main point is the right glue. In this case, it must be plastic after drying, so that during operation there is no divergence of the repaired areas.
It is recommended not to use cyanoacrylate based glue.
There are several options for glue for rubber. The most popular are:
- “Moment”. budget composition, full bonding is achieved in 24 hours;
- special glue for Red Sun bicycles. works in 15 minutes;
- Tip Top SC 2000 is the most reliable two-component product that takes 2-4 hours to dry.
You should keep a bicycle first aid kit with you in order to quickly seal a puncture in a bicycle wheel in any situation.
Tip Top SC 2000
What should the repair kit consist of?
Vulcanization is much more reliable than any adhesive patches, but requires skill and additional equipment. By the way, there are “household” or home-made vulcanizers, consisting of a vice with a cylinder and a chamber for burning, for example, gasoline or other fuel. The only advice that can be given is to be careful with fire.
Search for damage
At this stage, the damage itself must be found. There are several ways. The most popular ones are:
- Place the camera in a bowl of water. Air will escape at the puncture site, forming bubbles. The easiest way, after which the tire must be thoroughly dried.
- Inflate the tire and listen to where the air comes out.
- In some cases, it is sufficient to inspect the camera well. This method is the least accurate, as you may not notice the rest of the punctures.
- Apply soap solution to suspicious areas. Where there is damage, bubbles will appear.
The detected puncture site must be marked with chalk. It is definitely worth inspecting the tire from all sides, whether there are any foreign objects left there. If any, they must be removed before gluing.
Not every case can be repaired, especially on its own. If multiple or large punctures are found on the camera, and air continues to escape after gluing, it should be completely replaced with a new one.
Bicycle tube repair consists of several steps. All of them can be done without any problems both at home and on the road. It will be necessary to disassemble the bicycle wheel, seal the hole and put everything back together. For an experienced cyclist, this procedure takes about 15 minutes, a beginner will need about half an hour.
Alternative repair versions
There are situations when there is no repair kit with you. It is impossible to predict everything, but here are a couple of recommendations:
- The patch can be made from any rubber, including an old camera, automotive or technical rubber.
- What kind of glue to use is not very important, as long as it is intended for rubber. It is better not to use hardening industrial and household compounds.
Looking for damage
Damage search is a creative thing, albeit rather primitive. Almost everyone recommends using a basin or other container of water to determine the point of damage by the bubbles, but this is not the easiest way, because you have to dry the camera and risk water getting inside through the nipple in order to save a few seconds.
The definition is much simpler and more accessible by ear:
- Pump up the bike camera.
- We bring it to our ear and look for a point where air etching is heard.
- We localize the puncture site of the chamber by air flow or visually.
Everything is very simple. It is only necessary to check for damage around the valve. With such damage, it will no longer be possible to seal the breakdown without special tools.