How to decide on rubber?
Front tire: This is the most important thing. Some people like the way ahead of them, the behavior of which can be predicted, And they do not like it when the rubber jumps off the line along which you go when you run over a stone. In any case, if your rubber is jumping, you probably need less tire pressure. If you can’t fix it, then you have the wrong rubber hardness or the wrong tire width.
If the tire is slipping, you can make it more “useful” by adjusting the pressure. The composition of the rubber is not as important in this case. There is not a single non-slip rubber. If you only have problems in corners and cannot be influenced by pressure, try wider tires (2.1) or narrower (1.9).
When you manage to find the front tires, consider that you have solved 70% of the problems. The rear tire is not that important. By the way, a good front suspension fork will “soften” your life.
Rear tire: In most cases, a rear uphill tire is used. I want the rear rubber to cling to and eat into the soil until the very end of the climb. And so that the rubber is enough for more than 3 trips. The choice of the rear tires is easier than the front ones. Look at the rear rim first. If it is for 2.1 rubber, then you need to use 2.1 rubber. If the size is different, use the correct rubber. DO NOT fit 2.1 rubber on narrow thin-walled rims. You will notice that the bike behaves unpredictably when cornering. It seems that always wide tires should keep the bends. When entering a bend, this is true, but then the wheel will go off abruptly. The point is that the tire actually flexes the side-wall as you turn. Not a problem at first, but the more you turn, the more the tire deviates from the center of the rim. At one point, the tire stops being directly under the rim and you start to slip as the tire moves further and further from the center of the rim. A hard rubber with a good center track is recommended. Yes, you can find more suitable rubber for expressing, but it will be useless on the rise and you will slide like a cow on ice. For turns, you just need to pick up the pressure. Don’t make something religious out of it. Just try to follow a few principles:
- 40PSI: wet, there are climbs and / or climbs on soft surfaces
- 45PSI: Dry, climbs on medium to hard ground
- 47PSI: Dry, rocks. monsters (protect the rim! All you need is air!)
Today there are four main types of tires to choose from, depending on the tire material: standard rubber, metal cord.
- Standard rubber, flexible Kevlar cord.
- Composition rubber / kevlar, metal cord.
- Rubber / kevlar compound, flexible kevlar cord.
And also there is a choice of the type of spikes:
- Soft composition, bends. These are usually 2.1 tires.
- Hard compound, rocks, broken asphalt. This is usually 2.1 tires.
- Soft composition, versatile. This is usually
- Rigid composition, “rough terrain”. This is usually 1.9 tires.
There are also options for pumping cameras. Most chambers have a 30PSI difference between minimum, safest pressure and maximum.
If we consider all the combinations, we will see that, depending on the terrain, it is possible to use about 10 types of rims with a large amount of rubber of different profiles. Of course, most people don’t.
So what to do?
Probably the most important thing in determining your tire choice is knowing where you can drive every day and trying out all the options.
The bottom line is that every time you want to test a new product, you need to go to the same place. Even if this is not the place where you constantly ride, just where it is easy to get to. First, the choice should be split into two categories. whether to use hard or soft rubber, and what is the best inflation pressure for the wheel.
If you have a hard rubber, then inflate it a little more than the minimum recommended tire pressure. Let’s mark this somewhere so that you don’t need to remember. I go to the route and try it. Please note the following:
Front or rear wheel slipping? If so, what were you doing at that moment?
Front or rear wheel bouncing? If so, what were you doing at that moment?
How does the bike behave when cornering? Whether you can turn with a normal trajectory or make an effort to stay on the trajectory is expressed. Trust me, you will feel. If your hands get tired, then you probably had to fight the bike on every bend.
What happens to the rear tire when you go uphill?
Now stop. Remember everything above and also check the tire pressure. Is the pressure still the same as it was before the trip? You may find that you have lost several PSIs after a test ride. If so, then you should not swing the wheel the next time. Inflate the wheel 3PSI more and try again. In the end, you will find the optimal tire pressure, which will be the best for grip and will NOT deflate. This also means that you have the lowest chance of rim damage.
To make sure, come back home and try again the next day, also inflate the tires and see if the results are the same.
How to choose the right bike tire?
The cyclist and rubber are integral things, so the problem of choosing a rubber is always relevant. Many people cannot find a balance in choosing it and pumping it correctly. At the time when you seemingly put on the correct tread, the nature of the terrain changes and you skip the wheels again!
The same bike with different tires behaves fundamentally differently. Tires are manufactured for all weather and terrain conditions, including for cyclists of different backgrounds. Choosing the right rubber for every ride will make your footwork a lot easier. Putting wide spiked tires (700×40) on the hybrid you will bring the behavior of the bike on the road closer to that of a mountain bike, put on narrow clinchers (700×28), you will imitate the behavior of road bikes. In the case of MTB, the smooth slick and semi-slick tires make it easier for you to get on a good paved road. The functions of the front and rear wheels on a bicycle are different, which is why they often use different tires. It should also be noted that now there are two variants of the nipple for pumping cameras, Presto (bicycle nipple, French nipple) and Schraeder (autonipple). Some rims require an extended nipple. Accordingly, there are two types of rims, and when buying a camera for your bike, you should consider the type of nipple used.
Tires can be selected from the main rubber compound categories, hard or soft. Unlike the not-so-whimsical comfort-class bicycles or city (pleasure) bicycles, you can make the wrong choice of tires and get into big trouble. In other words, soft rubber is NOT the best choice for soft surfaces.
MTBs have a larger tire cross-section than city bicycles. This means that cornering grip and slip performance is more dependent on tire pressure and rim resiliency than on the type of rubber. It makes sense to use high pressure, soft grooved rubber. this will give a greater advantage in mud and water over hard rubber topics. Yes, usually in such cases they sniff “exhaust pipe smoke”, but when you drive into water or mud, others will “sniff” the dust 🙂
So what else about mountain bike tires??
Unfortunately, high tech has made a real mess, with a lot of rubber choices that no normal person can figure out.
Time, time, time
What else to read
Bicycle development history
Italian archaeologists claim that the bicycle is depicted in a fresco found during excavations in Pompeii, as well as on a stone sarcophagus that is at least twenty centuries old. It turns out that even then, more than two thousand years ago, all the main components of a bicycle were known: cranks, wheels, a handlebar, a saddle in the form of a chair with a backrest, and even a sound signal on the handlebar.
S. Bush. Trypillian culture monument
There is an amazing place in the Yampolsky district of Vinnytsia region. Now at this place there are two villages side by side. Bush and Doroshovka, a little further off Sloboda Bushanskaya.
The beginning of the cycling season
The snow is slowly receding, there is more and more dry asphalt. Those who have spent the winter without a bike are beginning to think about starting a cycling season. So how to start it right so that it rolls?
The correct answer is smoothly
Sport prevents aging. scientists
Regular cycling prevents aging of the body at the level of DNA in cells, in addition to having many other positive effects on human health
Bike tire size
This data allows you to accurately and accurately indicate the size of the rim. The French labeling system does not apply to all types of tires (for example, for mountain bikes Today there are a huge number of sizes of bicycle tires. How to choose tires for a bicycle. Bicycle tires are marked in accordance with the marking, which can lead to confusion when choosing tires for a bicycle. Here To determine it, you need to look at the size of the tires that were previously installed on the bike. To determine the size of the wheel of the bike, you can look at the parameters of the tire. Moreover, tires of different sizes, which are NOT interchangeable, often have Road bikes, hybrids, Road clincher tires. it’s time to change tires for a bicycle How to choose a tire size for a bicycle Tire sizes Anthers from improvised materials Equipment How and what to choose tires for a bicycle The sizes of bicycle tires, like any other tires, are indicated on the side. convex numbers per On the side of the tread, the location of the numbers does not differ in any way from their location on the tires of road bicycles. “Tourist”. Duration: 36:12 In the bicycle from Veloolimp 7470 views. How to choose the rim size? Triathlon, Time Trial, Small Road Bikes. 337.
It is clear that tires are bought of the same size as the rim size. Bicycle rubber can be natural or synthetic. The dimensions of bicycle tires, like any other tire, are indicated on the side. You ride a bike every day and you need tires with good grip and sleep. Road tires are designated as a pair number such as 700 × 23. And what does the second size mean 2.1. 2. Choosing a tire for professional cyclists and hobbyists What sizes are in bicycle tires. Russia. Bicycle wheel sizes. ISO marking table, values, parameters, units. The outer diameter of the wheel is the width of the rim and tire. Size 27.5 inches. Saddle Covers. I bought an inexpensive road bike “Swallow”.
This is an international standard for tire sizes. A bicycle’s wheel size is the diameter of the rim with the thickness of the tire. Look at the sidewall of a tire to determine its size: it should. Tube tires are commonly used by elite bike owners and moreover, tires of different sizes, which are NOT interchangeable, often have the same rim size later used by the pioneers of mountain bike from the west coast. Some of them have not been used for a long time, others are found on Some specific bicycles. If you look closely at the tires of a road bike, you will see numbers, for example, 23-622 or 25-622. The easiest way, of course, is to look at the size of the tire currently installed on the bike (it is written on the side of it), and look for exactly the same one. On each tire, the manufacturer indicates the minimum and maximum pressure for which it is designed. Triathlon, Time Trial, Small Road Bikes. 337. Several times in our practice we were faced with the fact that tires 622. To determine the size of the wheel and in order to select the tires for the rim of the bicycle, there are still used on the marking of Russian rubber for bicycles. It has tires measuring 261.95. Bicycle tire size designation. Extremely mysterious tire size. Just check the sidewall of the tire. Tires for road bikes have dimensionsCheck the quality of the bike tire. Knowing how to measure your wheels is essential for repairing your bike. Intermediate size dedicated mountain bikes. Cameras, nipples and tubeless bicycle tires. It is not enough to choose the right tires in terms of the size and nature of the tread, you need to be able to use them correctly. Can I put 26 x 3.0 tires. BIKES. The tread pattern is very aggressive on the ground. On a bicycle with large wheels, you can develop a high speed on Road Bikes, the size of the tires is indicated as two numbers: the first diameter, the second width in millimeters (for example, 700×23.5 or 700×23 1/2). The tire pressure of the bike must match the tire pressure of the bike. Extremely mysterious tire size. 26 x 1 (650 C). The choice of bicycle tires. 1. Tires differ mainly in size and tread pattern. The working pressure of road bike tires is usually 8 bar. Bicycle tire markings: how to choose the right SportZoom. Bicycle tires, as a rule, are inflated with air and this allows the size of a bicycle tire is indicated there by two numbers. the numbers of its diameter and width. How do I know the current tire size? Cyclocross bicycles usually have tires with a width of 1.9 “up to 2.25”. MTBs have a larger tire cross-section than city bicycles. If the size is different, use the correct rubber. Often when buying tires, beginners ask themselves: What size bike tires do I need? And for those who do not know what tires are in general Main Smartphones Mountain bikes Choosing Mountain Bike Tires (Complete Guide) Choosing a Size For children’s bicycles, tires differ in exactly the same way as for adults. Bike tires are one of the key elements To get started, find out the size of your current tires. While you were enjoying your newly purchased bike, the season has flown by and you have kilometers of rides on your back. Sizes of bicycle tiresDivision by type of tiresWinter tires for a bicycle How to choose tires for a bicycle. In some cases, 28 wheels can be assembled on mountain bikes. Now the “moral” of the article is a table of compatibility of sizes of bicycle tires and Bicycle: Device, operation, repair (1991). Bicycle wheel size is the diameter of the wheel rim, excluding tire dimensions. The height of a bicycle tire is determined by the profile height in inches. Children’s bicycles. Road bicycles, hybrids, road clincher tires. In mountain bikes, the data looks like Each bicycle tire has three parts: tread, side section and cord. What will help you choose the right size for your bike? It’s time to change old tires on your favorite bike, if the tires are branded, the size and additional information will be indicated on the side surface of the tire. Mountain. Horns on the steering wheel. Actually finding the wheel size, including the tire and rim dimensions, is a pretty simple task. My mountain bike is stock 26 x 2.1 tires. The first clear wheel diameter is 26 inches. Unit
Measurement is English inch. 571. If the tire is too wide for the rim, then if the bike is heavily stowed, the Refuge, this can be done if the required size of your favorite tire does not exist, but How do you know the size of your bicycle tire? Just check the sidewall of the tire! On mountain bike tires, the pairing number looks like 262.0 Tire sizes. One of the most important characteristics of a bicycle is the size of the wheel (rim and tire).
How to choose a bicycle tire?
Bicycle tires are a very important part to pay close attention to. Much depends on this. First of all. your life.
There are several types of people who use a bicycle in their life. Everyone has their own requirements for the bike. We will try to tell you how to choose a bicycle tire for those who just want to change to a bicycle or simply cannot make a choice. So. the requirements of different people for bicycle tires:
- People who use a bicycle as a public transport always keep the bike in good condition, because no one wants to roll it home. If trips are mainly in the urban cycle, then on asphalt roads the best option would be to choose a bicycle tire with a road (smoother) tread. Half-slickers are perfect for such conditions. When choosing tires for everyday use, a budget bike will NOT work, but the middle class is what you need. The advantages and disadvantages of such tires:
- The indisputable plus is the quality. Such tires are made of high quality compound (synthetic rubber, stabilizers, plasticizers). All components are matched to specific types of bicycles and specific areas of operation.
- Steel cord is both an advantage and a disadvantage. In the specifications, the number of cords is indicated as “TPI”. The average level of bicycle tires has 20. 30 threads. Advantage. it gives strength and tire and withstands loads. Minus the steel cord. It can rust or be killed by impact. The tire in this place may remain intact, or it may blow out a bump.
- The weight. Of course, the weight of the tire will be greater than in premium analogues, but not so much as not to use them. And the weight of products is of enormous importance only for athletes. Bike tires with anti-puncture layer can weigh more than one kilogram.
- Professionals or people who cannot imagine their life without a bicycle do not stop riding in winter. There is nothing to surprise them with, such cyclists have tried and understood everything for a long time. But for those planning this lifestyle, you need to choose both winter bicycle tires and summer bicycle tires. If the bike is part of your life, then you need the best bike tires. High-quality tires. This is not a cheap pleasure, but their service life is on average 20-25 thousand kilometers. It depends on the pressure in the tires, the place of use, your weight. Manufacturers Schwalbe, Mitas Rubena, Michelin are the undisputed leaders in the production of bicycle tires. All the best is concentrated in the highest quality bicycle tires:
- Highest quality compound. The detail is maximally sharpened for your needs. If you need rolling tires, either for soil or dirt, the manufacturers have provided everything.
- Strength in bicycle tires can be up to 60 steel cords and up to 200 kevlar. The advantage of Kevlar options in lightness and elasticity.
- The greatest motor resource.
- Their only drawback is the price. Products of this class are NOT inferior to car tires.
How to choose a bicycle tire?
How to choose a bicycle tire and NOT be mistaken with the size?
There is one way for all types of bikes. We write off the size from the sides of old tires and buy new ones according to the record. Diameter and width of bicycle tires:
- 12 inch. For children’s bicycles, bicycle strollers, strollers for the smallest children. Their width is from 1.75 “up to 2.25” or 47mm. 57mm.
- 14, 16, 18 inches. for children’s bicycles. Width from 1.75 “up to 2.25” or 47mm. 57mm.
- 20 inches. for teens and folding bikes. Width from 1.75 “up to 2.25” or 47mm. 57mm.
- 24 inches. for teenage bikes. The most popular sizes in width from 1.90 “up to 2.40”, in millimeters from 49mm to 62mm. Road models can be from 1.35 “up to 1.75” in millimeters from 35mm to 47mm.
- 26 27.5 29 inches. MTB, cross-country, niner, fat bikes, city and road bikes. Mountain tires, cross-country tires, niners. Width from 1.90 “up to 2.60” in millimeters from 49mm to 65mm. Road city. From 1.35 “up to 1.75” in millimeters from 35mm to 47mm. Fatbikes have tires ranging from 3.00 to 4.70 inches, in millimeters from 76mm to 119mm.
- 28 inches. road and city models. Width ranges from 1.35 “up to 1.75” in millimeters from 35 mm to 47 mm.
- 27 inches, 700C. Road model. The width can be from 18 to 25 millimeters.
We have listed the most popular and common width sizes. If we did NOT mention the size of your tires. do not judge strictly.
How to choose tires for your city bike?
Urban bike tires differ from mountain ones in that they are narrower. A shallow or completely bald protector (slick) is what you need for a city.
How to choose winter bike tires?
The bicycle tire industry takes the very best from the automotive industry. Previously, bicycles were similar to cars in the 80s. Rubber is best on a car with two sandbags in the trunk. Now is the age of innovation and technological modernization. So it is with bicycle tires. They are studded and NOT studded.
Non-studded tires have a tread, which is popularly called “Velcro”. The many sipes on the ice act like suction cups and thus keep the road. But these bicycles are more suitable in less snowy weather. Therefore, these bike tires are suitable for dry, frosty weather and thaw.
Studded tires. the situation is also similar with tires. A lot of studs are located along the edges along the bead of the tire and several rows in the center. Depending on the tread pattern, the center studs can be symmetrically or asymmetrically located.
Studded bike tires can be:
- Double row.
Double-row. not much differ from the non-studded Velcro, so they don’t save faces on ice. We believe that overpaying for such a tire is not worth it. A two-row one is cheaper than a multi-row one, but saving is also not necessary. Better to just refrain from travel when the weather is indignant.
A multi-row studded bicycle tire suitable for any winter weather. All manufacturers of multi-row studded tires recommend running a new stud to ensure that all studs are seated. Different manufacturers recommend differently: average. 50 km. Has a lot of advantages and disadvantages.
- More weight in comparison with summer counterparts. Everything is clear here. the thorns are quite weighty.
- Spikes sometimes fall out, so you need to install new ones.
- In dry weather, rolling is worse.
- Willingness to always move forward. Installed these bicycles. you are always ready for battle.
- Your safety. Sudden ice will NOT make you nervous, the spikes will do the trick.
- In snowy weather, the thorns dig into the hard surface under the snow, so you drive without slipping.
So, there are about equal shares of disadvantages and advantages, but all disadvantages can be called far-fetched and partly inappropriate. Heavy weight. yes, it is more in a studded winter bicycle rubber. But when choosing slopes for winter, few people pursue the goal of high speeds, and if you take into account the resistance of the snow, then the extra kilogram will not be noticeable at all. Loss of thorns is not a problem, replaceable ones are on sale. Dropped out. replaced with a new one and again on the road. Worse roll. rush in winter No need, the main thing is health, whole arms and legs.
How to find tires for your road bike?
In road bikes, thin, graceful tires. Width is only 18 millimeters to 25 millimeters. The tread is like a spider web, shallow. If the road surface is perfect then slicks are welcome.
Choose winter bike tires narrower or wider?
Bicycle tires are narrower, suitable for very snowy weather or when the thaw begins, then they behave better when riding on “porridge”. Otherwise, better tires with wider tread. The tire is wider. better contact with the road, more confident maneuvers and the whole ride.
Many points have already been considered by us, now it remains to decide on what large, intended for different purposes, you need to put the Corresponding bicycle tires.
How to choose tires for a mountain bike?
Designed so that mountain bikes are designed for difficult sections of the path on dirt roads, mountain slopes, rough terrain. If you use the bike in this direction, then you need deep tread tires with good traction properties. If the bike is mountain, and you only have to ride on hard, good roads, then the pronounced tread will NOT be effective. Comfortable, with the best speed qualities, will be bicycle tires with a smooth road tread.
The main criteria for choosing a bicycle tire
So how do you choose tires for your bike? The choice of tires for your VELOBIKE is made according to the following criteria:
- Constructional requirements. They are a conditionally constant factor (the design of the bike can also be changed within Certain limits), and depend on the units installed on the bike at a given time, first of all, the wheel rims, bicycle frame, front fork;
- Preferred conditions for cycling. They are a variable factor, depending on the subjective choice of the cyclist, who decides for himself when and where to ride his bike;
- The design of the tire itself (chamber, tubeless, one-tube) and materials of manufacture (compound, rubber, with Kevlar threads, etc.);
- Workmanship, which in practice is expressed in the preference of certain manufacturing companies.
How to choose tires for your bike?
The tire is one of the replaceable structural elements of the bicycle. After all, bicycle tires change Not only when they are torn, frayed, but also selected (with replacement) depending on the conditions of cycling. Optimal. every time they change.
How to choose bicycle tires for riding (riding) conditions?
The conditions that determine the choice of a bicycle tire are:
- Cycling season. The main cycling season is considered to be from spring to autumn, and after the vast majority of bicycle tires, according to their characteristics, are developed for ambient temperature conditions above 10 ° C. Fans and practitioners of atypical winter cycling should look for special winter bicycle tires with increased soft rubber for reliable grip on slippery expensive, and corresponding to the type of anti-slip protector.
- The nature of the surface (road surface) on which the cycle routes are laid:
- For high-speed sports driving exclusively on dry hard road surfaces (asphalt, concrete), you should choose the most “express” tires with a minimum (smooth) tread “slick”;
- For multipurpose riding conditions (both high-speed and measured riding) both on paved roads and with occasional driving onto the Country Road, on dry and wet roads after rain, universal bicycle tires with positive tread should be used “half-slick”;
- For extreme off-road riding (Country road, mountain and forest trails, sandy beaches, etc.) in all-weather conditions, incl. On soggy soil, you should choose special off-road ( “mountain”) tires. wide, with high lugs;
- For riding in winter conditions on slippery roads (ice), you should look for special studded bicycle tires with steel studs.
Choosing a bike tire according to design requirements
First of all, bicycle tires should be chosen strictly by size:
- According to the landing dimensions of bicycle rims: diameter (559 mm, 622 mm, etc.) and width (13. 15 mm on highways and cyclocross, 17. 19 mm on road builders, tourer, city bikes, 21. 22 mm on MTB cross-country, 23. 25 mm on MTV mountain and BMX). How to match tires to your bike rim? To do this, you need to know the dimensions of your rim, and select the Corresponding size from the marking on your bicycle tire. Or consult the seller.
- By the tire’s own height, depending on the size of the bike frame and the front fork. This choice is relevant for wheel rims with a landing diameter of 622 mm (70 ° C), for which you can “to plant” tires 27 “(for road racing), 27.5” (new universal size), 28 “(old universal size), 29” (for MTV niners).
The choice of bicycle tires by design, materials and workmanship
Bike tube tires. a classic, time-tested design that will fit in virtually any application.
Tubeless tires. modern technological and lightweight design, for fans of high-speed sports driving. The tubeless tire is sealed by the pressure of the inflated air, which tightly presses its walls against the wheel rim. But due to the thinness of the bicycle rim, which is relatively easy to deform when hitting stones, curbs, jumping, falling, etc., tubeless bicycle tires are NOT recommended for use by fans of EXTREME sports and off-road riding, as well as bicycle tourists., “rolling” long distance.
Natural rubber tires have the best performance. But at the same time, they are also the most expensive, the cost of which “affordable” far from all ordinary cyclists. Kevlar tires are characterized by increased puncture and tear strength and, at the same time, by their thinness and lightness. But for the price they are also strong “bite”, remaining accessible only led athletes. professionals or “advanced” cyclists. In fact, good tires made from traditional synthetic rubber compound tend to meet the riding conditions and needs of the vast majority of amateur cyclists.
Traditional markings of bicycle wheel sizes
The traditional wheel sizing system is built around the outside diameter of the entire wheel, which is the outside diameter of the tire, not the rim. Most often, it is the inch that is the unit of measurement and is indicated when marking, less often the wheel diameter is indicated in millimeters. The most common sizes are 20, 24, 26, 27, 28 and 29 inches. With the traditional marking system, only the diameter is indicated on the Rims. Tires and tubes indicate the diameter and width of the tire, for example 26×1.75 or 26×2.35. It is important to keep in mind that sometimes the width can be marked with a simple fraction, for example, 26×3 / 4, although this size is mathematically equal to 26×2.175, but such pakryshki are NOT interchangeable.
It is interesting that there are six types of tire diameters, there are only four types of rims for them (406 mm, 507 mm, 559 mm and 622 mm). For 27 ”, 28 ” and 29 ” tires, only 622mm rims are available.
Bicycle wheels: dimensions and markings
Without exaggeration, the wheel for a bicycle is the most important detail, because without it the bicycle simply cannot ride. A bicycle wheel has two main indicators, which are necessary for selection before purchasing. Weight is not so important, but still a lot depends on it. With weight, everything is simple, the less weight the wheel is, the better. But with the second parameter. the size of the bicycle wheel, everything is different. There is no bicycle wheel this size that would be absolutely better than others. The choice of wheel size depends on the type of bike and its application.
The wheel consists of several parts. hub, rim, spokes, tube and tires. Each of the details is worthy of a separate article. In the same article, we will discuss the issues. How to find out the size of a bicycle wheel, how to choose the size, what are the sizes of a bicycle and talk about the standards for marking wheel sizes.
Bicycle wheel device
To determine the size of the wheel and in order to select the tires for the rim of the bicycle, there are the following values - the diameter of the rim, the diameter of the entire wheel, the width of the rim and tires. Sizes are most often indicated in inches, less often in millimeters.
There are a huge number of standards for marking bicycle wheels, but we will consider only a few, only what we may encounter.
How to find wheel and tire sizes
When choosing, the most important thing is that the fit dimensions in the tires and rims match. Any combination of rim and tire widths can be used. But it’s worth noting that ideally the width should be the same. If the tires are too narrow, they will puncture more often and the rim may be damaged. If, on the contrary, the rim is thin and the tire is too wide, then the sidewalls will be easily damaged.
ISO Marking Standard
To ensure that there is no confusion with sizes in the bicycle wheel market, the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) has developed its own universal marking system, which all manufacturers must adhere to.
The system is BASED on a marking consisting of two numbers. the width of the tire and the diameter of the rim. It is the landing diameter of the rim that is the value that guides when choosing a tire, these dimensions must completely coincide
For example, Mountain Tire. 38-622 and Road Tire 20-622 are interchangeable, do not look at the difference in width, as they have the same bore diameter.
It was these designations that were used on the wheels of popular Soviet bicycles. Salyut, Kama, Aist, Minsk, Ural and the second. And they still use it on the marking of Russian rubber for bicycles.
Below we give a table in which you indicate the correspondence between the traditional marking and the ISO standard. Also in the table we have indicated the most popular types of bicycles for THESE sizes.
It is worth noting that the size of the wheels of a bicycle is not chosen to grow, but is guided by the riding style and the purpose of the bicycle. This does not apply to children’s bicycles, which will be discussed below.
Choosing the size of a bicycle wheel for a child by height and age
In addition to the usual wheel sizes discussed above, there are also sizes for children’s bicycles, which are shown in the table below. Ideally, a child needs to choose a bike by fitting. To do this, you need to put the child on the bike, if the child’s heel reaches the bike pedal in the lower phase, then the bike fits perfectly. DO NOT buy a bike to grow, it can lead to injury.
If you do not have the opportunity to try on a bike, you can follow the table below.
|Wheel size in inches||Child’s height, cm.||Age|
|12||up to 98||2-3|
|14.16||up to 110||4-5|
|18.20||up to 128||7-8|
|20.24||up to 164||from 8|
When choosing a bike for a child, pay special attention to the possibilities of the bike in terms of adjusting the saddle and handlebars in the plane of height and inclination. The wider these adjustments are, the longer the child will be able to ride the bike. For example, if you take a bicycle with 12-inch wheels for three years, then with the adjustments the child will be able to ride it for 2. 3 years.
Children’s Stealth bike 18 inches
How to find out your bike rim size?
This value is characterized by two parameters:
In order to find out these values, you need to carefully consider the product. As a rule, the manufacturer applies markings to the surface of the part and it is easy to read. So, for example, the inscription 559×19 says that the diameter (landing) is 559 mm, and the width is 19 mm. In the absence of an inscription, we can get the necessary numbers through manual measurements.
You will need a vernier caliper to measure the inner width.
When measuring the diameter, it is necessary to measure the distance from the center of the wheel to the edge of the rim, multiply the obtained value by 2. You can also use a plumb line and tape measure to measure the entire diameter directly. If this number in centimeters is divided by 2.54, then you get a translation in inches.
Material and thickness directly affect the weight of the bike wheel.
Due to their lightness and sufficient strength, rolled aluminum bicycle rims are widespread. In second place are iron or steel.
In accordance with the requirements for load and strength, manufacturers produce single, double, triple bike rims. Tubeless rim type is also made.
The standard for the number of installed spokes is 36, 32, 28 and 16 pieces.
Previously, in the designation system, many manufacturers used the outer diameter of a bicycle tire, which is measured in millimeters or inches. For example, 24 “(500 mm), 26” (650 mm) or 28 “(700 mm). Over time, due to constant confusion, the notation system has changed. Nowadays, they began to use a universal system for marking according to the bore diameter.
There are 3 operating systems of designation:
1. ISO is the actual rim diameter in millimeters. When analyzing the compatibility of the landing dimensions of the bike rim with the bike tire, it is better to immediately pay attention to the ISO parameters.
2. Parameters in inches. This is an approximate value for the outer diameter of the wheel. There are markings in decimal and fractions. Soviet sizes in inches are not always the same and may differ from Western ones.
3.French size is the measurement of the outer diameter of the wheel in millimeters. In the old system of calculus, the width of the tire was taken into account and denoted by Latin letters A, B, C, D. Where A is the narrowest, D is the widest. Now, in modern designation, the letter component has lost its original meaning.
Rim and tire. How to choose?
How to choose the right tires for the rim.
Bicycle tires come in an incredible variety of sizes. This has resulted in inconsistency and confusion. Each country of origin has its own marking system of parameters. A bicycle tire with the same parameters may be known by a completely different designation code in different countries. It so happened that non-interchangeable tires with different rim sizes have the same numbers. And interchangeable. different.
Everything has its own finite lifespan. This also applies to bicycle tires. There comes a time when you need to make an upgrade or replace the old bike tires with new ones. There is a choice of what will fit, whether it can be replaced in the absence of native rubber.
In theory, you can use any combination of tires and rims, provided they match the fit. But practice says that it is better to adhere to certain rules. So you protect yourself, your wallet from frequent rubber punctures and damage to the bike ride.
What is the size of the rim for the tire?
How to choose the right rim for your bike?
There is a wide variety of cycling courses. They differ from each other in design features, sizes and materials from which they are made.
When choosing a bicycle rim, you need to consider which bike it will be mounted on. Consider its performance, whether for mountain bike, city, road or highway.
Selection of the width of the bike tire.
When choosing this parameter of tires, there are more options for size compatibility, which means that the assortment is richer. The width of the bike rim is measured and marked in millimeters, bike tires. in inches or millimeters. Therefore, when selecting, it is necessary to reduce everything to a single unit of calculation.
Wheel and tire width compatibility for different types of bikes:
The size of the value in width for the rim, mm
Size value in width for a tire, mm