DIY bike with a chainsaw engine
Retrofitting bicycle parts has become an interesting and popular activity recently. Thanks to the installation of the motor, you can reach speeds of over 50 kilometers per hour.
It turns out a powerful and quick means to get to a summer cottage or a fishing spot. What is a bike with a chainsaw engine?
Required materials and tools
Basic materials and tools for work:
- Metal objects (chains, nuts, bolts, washers);
- Handy tools for bracket installation;
- Bicycle rope;
- Fuel Tank Equipment Container.
Optimum motor power
The average motor power is about 1.5 horsepower. If the power is weak, the engine will not be able to move the bike with the passenger. Since when calculating the maximum weight, the weight of a person and a vehicle is taken into account.
The average figure is 100 kilograms. Such an indicator must be taken into account, especially if you want to attach the trunk or additional cargo. The optimal speed is 30-40 kilometers per hour.
- It is necessary to establish a connection between the wheel and the motor. For such purposes, additional parts (pulleys) are installed on the wheel and connected directly to the chainsaw. To transmit power, a belt or chains are used (it is necessary to look at the situation). The main rule here is to provide that such a structure does not fly off;
- At this stage, you need to take care of the centrifugal force. A chainsaw or bicycle ratchet can be used for this purpose. Thanks to the second option, it will be possible not to press hard on the pedals, but at the same time maintain the speed of movement for a certain period of time;
- With the help of a hose, it is necessary to create a connection with the gas tank, and also firmly fasten it near the engine or frame;
- To install the ignition, you need a wire and a special switch. With its correct location, it will be possible to turn off the engine at any time;
- You will also need a throttle stick to switch the engine. A bicycle cable can be attached to a special carburetor flap.
Acceleration and noise
With a self-made fastening of the engine from a chainsaw to a bicycle, it is possible to get a speed of up to 50-60 kilometers per hour. Acceleration is simple and easy, and during the ride there will be no characteristic smell of gasoline.
The speed will directly depend on the performance of the motor. Its activation can be accompanied by strong and unpleasant sounds.
There are 2 options for solving the problem:
- Move with loud sounds (hum, creak);
- Install a special muffler, with which the motor will become almost silent.
DIY bike with a chainsaw engine
If you want to equip an ordinary bicycle with a motor, you can use a chainsaw.
When self-fastening, you must adhere to the following rules:
- There should be no cracks in the gas tank to avoid fuel leakage;
- It is necessary to observe the indicators of the optimal load;
- All cables, chains and pulleys must be installed firmly and securely to avoid slipping or breaking;
- The motor must be attached exclusively to certain areas (frame or engine directly);
- When choosing a gas tank, there are maximum permissible indicators: weight up to 6 kilograms; volume up to 50 cubic centimeters.
In order for a device with a motor not only to ride quickly, but also not to lead to injuries, it is necessary to check everything thoroughly before starting the bike break-in. First of all, all component parts must be firmly attached to the frame.
The braking system must be of high quality, since a product with a trimmer has a high speed, so the brakes must be disc type. Also, for this type of bike, it is necessary to use tires on wheels that will have a low degree of slip.
It is also recommended to move on such a device using a helmet and other personal protective equipment.
After all safety measures have been taken into account, you can use the vehicle for its intended purpose.
A bike with a grass trimmer motor at home: motor selection, procedure
Fans of two-wheeled transport of movement use various modifications to improve bicycles.
Bikes with a grass trimmer motor are very common. Such a device can be made independently, while there is no need to spend a long time and large financial resources.
Advantages of motorized bicycles over conventional trimmers
The use of this type of modification has a large number of advantages, which include:
- devices can reach high speeds;
- the device works with an electric current generated by a grass trimmer;
- the motorbike has a high level of maneuvering, which is very important when moving around the city;
- products are hardy and can be used to overcome long distances;
- installation of such vehicles does not require a large amount of financial resources;
- bicycles are easy to care for;
- does not require much knowledge in the troubleshooting process;
- The grass trimmer is easily removable, so you can restore the original appearance of your bike at any time.
DIY grass trimmer motor bike
Before you start designing this type of vehicle, you should determine the power of the motor. After all, it is on this indicator that the endurance of the future bicycle and its ability to move at high speed depend.
The engine must be at least 2 horsepower, otherwise the bike will not be able to perform all the necessary functions.
Required materials and tools
In order to start designing a bike with an engine, you need to prepare the following tools:
- the bike must be in good working order;
- sprocket suitable for the selected engine;
- cable, with the help of which the connection with the throttle stick on the steering wheel will occur;
- exhaust pipe;
- consumables (washers, screws, clamps).
The engine can be of several types: gasoline and electric. The first type of engine does not require recharging and does not have any connection to the electrical network, this is a great advantage. The most optimal is a four-stroke engine, as it has less noise during operation and lower consumption.
The choice of an electric motor is suitable for short-term movements. The device will require regular recharging. Also, another disadvantage of such devices is their low power.
Making a bike with an engine. instructions
After all the components are prepared, you can proceed to the assembly of the product with a motor from the grass trimmer.
To do this, you must perform the following sequence of actions:
- on the rear wheel of the bike, you need to attach two spacers cut from the rubber. One spacer is placed between the needles, the second behind the needles;
- an asterisk is mounted on the outer side of the wheel;
- a crescent is mounted on the inside;
- check that the sprocket matches the grass trimmer motor;
- the motor is mounted to the trunk, secured with clamps. The engine must be positioned in such a way that there is room for the battery;
- the tensioner is installed and the chain tension is adjusted;
- mounted on the handlebars of the throttle, after which the cable is mounted and connected to the motor;
- a gas tank or a small plastic container is mounted under the frame, in which there will be fuel;
- install an exhaust pipe (if such a part is provided);
- mounted carburetor.
I use it to go fishing to a local pond, the bike develops a decent speed and does not require unnecessary physical effort. Also, the device is easy to store, the only condition is to keep the engine dry.
A properly mounted bike has many benefits that the user will soon appreciate.
Grass trimmer bike. what to look for before assembling?
Before you start assembling a motorbike with your own hands from a lawn mower, you will need to choose an engine, which will become the basis for homemade products. It is the power of the internal combustion engine that directly affects the traction characteristics and endurance of the device.
In practice, homemade products, equipped with engines from trimmers with a capacity of 3 liters or more, have shown themselves best. from. and higher. Each such scooter with a motor is capable of transporting 1 adult with hand luggage, while having an additional supply of torque.
It is strongly not recommended to collect homemade products based on electric motors from trimmers. This is due to the low power reserve of such motors, as well as their instability in front of bad weather conditions. If there is no other way out, and the manufacturer only has an electric motor at hand, then when installing the motor, special attention should be paid to protecting it from external factors: moisture, dust, debris. With the further operation of the scooter with an electric motor from the grass trimmer, you will need to take frequent breaks to cool the engine. Otherwise, the engine will quickly fail.
Having dealt with the motor, you need to move on to the bike frame. It will need to be equipped with an additional platform on which the engine and fuel tank will be mounted. In this case, the latter should be located above the engine from the grass trimmer so that the fuel flows to the power unit in a natural way.
It is very important that homemade bicycles with a grass trimmer motor are equipped with a comfortable handlebar, on the handles of which you can move all the switches you need to work. This will simplify the operation of the homemade product when traveling at high speed.
Installing the brake system.
A homemade bicycle with a lawnmower engine must be equipped with a brake system. To make it, you will need to use a pair of brake discs installed one at a time on the drive and driven wheel. To control the brakes, the discs using metal cables must be connected to the levers installed on the handles of the standard handle.
In addition to installing the brakes, the operator will also need to replace the standard tires on the moped wheels. Not only the cross-country ability of a self-propelled bike depends on this, but also the safety of the owner when driving off-road.
How to make a moped with a motor from a brushcutter?
Assembling a homemade grass trimmer begins with studying the detailed drawings. The diagrams should indicate the dimensions of the parts used, as well as the sequence and methods of their installation into the general device of the moped.
Next, you need to prepare equipment and parts.
- motor driven;
- brake system;
- welding machine;
- angle grinder;
- set of bolted connections;
- set of wrenches and screwdrivers.
The further procedure for assembling a homemade moped from a grass trimmer must be divided into several stages. Each of them must be treated with special responsibility, since not only the quality of the device depends on this, but also the safety of the operator during its operation.
Assembling the drive for a moped
For self-propelled movement, the scooter must be equipped with a belt that receives torque from the engine and transmits it to the drive wheel.
To assemble a quality drive for homemade products, the operator needs to use:
- driven pulley. this unit should be slightly smaller in diameter from the bicycle wheel rim;
- drive pulley. during assembly, this element must be attached to the motor from the grass trimmer;
- steel suspension. it will be used to attach the motor to the frame of a homemade moped.
To assemble the drive, you also need to assemble the gearbox. Once the pulleys have been mounted on the bike, the manufacturer will be able to fit the belt with the appropriate length and width.
Self-assembly of the engine
After assembling and installing the drive, the operator can proceed with the installation of the motor. For safety reasons, the internal combustion engine from the brushcutter must be mounted on the moped using an additional suspension made of metal. The fastener itself should resemble a frame welded from steel channels and corners.
The shape and dimensions of the frame must correspond to the dimensions of the motor used. There are different ways to attach the bike rack to the bike frame. If in the future the motor will not be removed from the moped, then the internal combustion engine mount can be welded to the device. If, in the future, the motor will be removed for its subsequent installation back on the grass trimmer, then a pair of bolted connections will be suitable for attaching it to the moped.
Bicycle with a motor from a grass trimmer. production of elements and self-assembly of a moped
The modern grass trimmer is much more than just a garden tool. The high power of most brushcutters makes it possible to use them as a basis for assembling all kinds of homemade products, not the least of which is a bicycle with an engine from a grass trimmer. This self-propelled device stands out for its simplicity of the device, high traction parameters, and ease of maintenance. The relatively low consumption of a fuel moped makes it possible to cover considerable distances on it, and a high suitability for repair. independently eliminate almost any malfunctions of a homemade product.
Rules for operating a homemade moped
To extend the life of a moped with a grass trimmer motor, its owner needs to adhere to a number of important rules.
- timely replacement of consumables. if you do not change the air filter and other elements of the moped for a long time, then its important mechanisms will begin to work under increased load. This will lead to more difficult homemade breakdown:
- use high-quality gasoline and engine oil for refueling. if you pour low-quality gasoline into the fuel tank of a moped, then the bike owner will soon be faced with the need to replace the engine’s CPG;
- lubricate the used gearbox in time. this will prevent the mechanism from operating under high loads;
- mix gasoline and oil strictly in the proportion indicated by the grass trimmer manufacturer. if you add more oil than indicated in the instructions, this will lead to the engine spark plug being flooded;
- regularly check the condition of the fasteners. bolts that are not fully tightened threaten not only the engine fall, but also injury to the owner;
- paint scratches and chips immediately after they appear on the frame. this will prevent further corrosion of the moped frame;
- do not allow the engine to overheat from the grass trimmer. with frequent use of the moped, you need to take breaks. At the same time, if the bike is used in hot weather, then its motor must be allowed to cool down every 15 minutes of riding. If it is cool and windy outside, the number of breaks can be reduced to 1 time for every 25-30 minutes of driving;
- timely change the tires on the wheels of the moped from the grass trimmer. in winter, rubber with spikes must be installed on the wheels of homemade products. This will prevent wheel slippage and increase the safety when using the bike.
Also, the owner of a bike with a grass trimmer motor will need to monitor the weight of the cargo transported on the homemade product. If the luggage is too heavy, it can lead to overheating and serious damage to the engine, as well as other mechanisms of the device.
What you need to make a motorbike?
A homemade bike from a grass trimmer should be assembled from a certain list of parts and mechanisms.
To design a motorbike from a lawn mower with your own hands, the manufacturer will need:
- a fully functional 2-wheel bike with a sturdy frame that is free of visible rust. If they are, then the problem areas must first be covered with a primer and several layers of paint;
- working power unit from a petrol grass trimmer. The rated power of the engine should be 3–6 hp. from. It is impractical to use more powerful motors, since they will require more fuel mixture;
- belt or drive chain;
- Grass trimmer bike tensioner;
- sprocket. must match the motor used. If possible, the star can be carved on a lathe with your own hands;
- clamp. necessary for stable fastening of the motor to the bike frame. The clamp can be made with your own hands using an all-metal piece of steel;
- a cable that will serve as a link between the power unit and the bike’s throttle handle;
- several fuses and a controller;
- exhaust pipe. the length of the standard exhaust pipe from the grass trimmer will not be enough, so you need to take an additional piece of pipe of the corresponding diameter and weld it to the brushcutter element;
- screws, washers, bushings and other fasteners.
Together with the motor from the brushcutter, the manufacturer will need the entire fuel system along with the carburetor, factory clutch, ignition and gas tank. All internal mechanisms must be carefully prepared for assembling the bike. rinse and replace their faulty components.
Preparing to assemble a scooter from a brushcutter
In its basic design, a scooter with a power unit from a household grass trimmer strongly resembles a motorbike. The difference between them lies in the weight and dimensions of the homemade scooter. a motor scooter is much lighter and more compact than a moped, therefore, for its manufacture, the designer can use engines with a capacity of up to 3-4 liters. from.
In addition to the power unit from the grass trimmer, the manufacturer will need to assemble the scooter:
- metal frame from a regular scooter;
- components that need to be removed from the old bike in advance. These include wheel bushings, sprockets, a cable, as well as a drive chain with a roller, the gear ratio of which must be at least 4 ;;
- filter of zero resistance;
- chain reducer with a gear ratio of 1: 3;
- disc brakes assembled from an old bicycle;
- pipes and metal plate;
- screws, nuts and other fasteners.
All assembled items, especially the frame used by the scooter, will need to be checked for rust and defects. There should be no traces of corrosion on them, otherwise the homemade grass trimmer will quickly become unusable.
How to make a bike with a lawn mower engine?
The correct assembly sequence is essential when designing a grass trimmer moped. In addition, the manufacturer needs to prepare the workplace in advance and lay out all the elements used on it. This will save time during the subsequent manufacture of homemade products.
To assemble a motorcycle from a grass trimmer, you need to proceed in this order:
- The first step is to equip the rear drive wheel of the bike with a sprocket. To do this, you will need to install 2 elastic rubber pads on the rear wheel: the first of them should be located between the spokes of the wheel, and the second. directly behind them. The sprocket itself must be firmly installed on the hub, which is located on the outside of the wheel. In this case, the part in the form of a crescent must be fixed from the inside;
- Next, you need to install the power unit on the bike frame from the disassembled grass trimmer. It is best to choose the rear of the frame for mounting the motor, behind the standard seat. usually this is the place where the bike rack is located. It needs to be removed and a solid steel plate welded on instead. A piece of rubber must be installed between it and the engine, which will partially dampen the vibration of the motor. The operator must use a clamp to secure the motor to the plate. It will not let the driver get burned during the operation of a homemade moped;
- After that, the power unit from the grass trimmer and the sprocket, installed on the bike frame, will need to be connected with a drive belt or chain. To be able to regularly adjust the position of the chain, the operator must install a tension roller;
- Then a bike with a grass trimmer motor must be equipped with a throttle lever mounted on a homemade handlebar. You need to connect the accelerator to the motor using a cable;
- Next, you need to install a gasoline tank. For its installation, you will need to use a small metal or plastic platform located above the engine. this will ensure the natural ingress of fuel into the cylinder of the power unit;
- At the end, the operator will need to install the grass trimmer carburetor on the bike motor.
Homemade bicycles with a grass trimmer motor must be carefully checked and tested before direct use. To do this, you need to carefully inspect the device of the unit and make sure that all the components necessary for its operation are installed on the frame. Then you need to check the moped in action. After driving a few kilometers at low speed and making sure that the bike is in good working order, you can switch to its more active use on the road.
Bike with a grass trimmer motor. preparing and assembling a moped and scooter
A grass trimmer with an engine of sufficient power and torque can become a reliable basis for self-assembly of two-wheeled vehicles. a moped and a motor scooter. They can be completed with different parts. it all depends on the needs and preferences of the manufacturer. In any case, a properly assembled unit will stand out for its economy, unpretentious maintenance and ease of self-repair.
How to make a scooter from a grass trimmer?
To construct a scooter with a brushcutter engine, the manufacturer will need a sturdy welded frame. You can take it from an old scooter, or you can make a frame from metal pipes. Separate pieces of them must be welded to each other with a thick continuous seam. For added security, steel braces and ties must be welded to the main frame parts. The joints must be treated with a corrosion agent. The finished support frame will need to be coated with a thick layer of primer and painted.
The further order of work should be as follows;
- You will need to attach the front and rear wheels to the painted and completely dry frame. They can be taken from an old children’s bike;
- Then the grass trimmer motor must be installed on the frame in front of the rear wheel. The distance between the power unit and the wheel must be at least 5 cm. otherwise a hot motor will heat up the wheel, which will lead to an increase in pressure inside it;
- The fuel tank from the brushcutter must be located above the grass trimmer. this will provide a free supply of fuel inside the engine cylinder. The engine and fuel tank must be attached to the frame with clamps so that the operator can remove the power unit and put it back on the mower;
- The rear wheel will require disc brakes. They must be connected to the lever with a separate cable;
- Instead of the standard carburetor of the gasoline grass trimmer, you must install a fuel unit, the inlet diameter of which must be at least 15 mm;
- Then, you will need to install a zero resistance filter on a homemade moped;
- After that, the rear wheel of the unit will need to be equipped with a tension roller and connected to the motor using a chain.
How to Build a 2-Stroke Motorized Bicycle in 6 Minutes
The main feature of drift trikes is their uniqueness. Very often bicycles for drift are invented and made personally by fans of extreme sports.
Build a Motorized Bike at home. Tutorial
Drift vehicles are pretty unusual.
- As a rule, the front wheel is set with a small diameter. 20 inches, such as on BMX models for trial.
- The two rear wheels are six times smaller than the front. Their width can be at most twice the diameter. Most importantly, they are made from a hard and smooth material. None of the drifters wear rubber tires on the rear rollers.
- The rider sits very low in a wide seat. Each athlete personally chooses a comfortable seat for himself. It is comfortable to sit behind the wheel of a homemade bike and on a car tire.
- For the delivery of legs, supports are placed on the front fork, closer to the wheel axle. As you can understand, through these levers you can also control the steering wheel with your feet.
No pedals needed
Few people have seen a real three-wheeled trike on the road, so most do not know what it looks like. For this vehicle, pedals are absolutely unnecessary. Drivers get all the fun of drifting on the downhill slope. Whereas to climb the hill, it would be wise to use the help of a car. For example, how reckless drivers from an American town got caught in their van.
By turning the pedals on a tricycle, you can accelerate to a very low speed. no more than 25 km / h. Whereas the most exciting trike tricks are performed at speeds over 60 km / h. Extremists on a highway with busy traffic rotate like a whirligig, fall on their side, famously draw a snake on the roadway.
Drift cars with engine
Often a factory-assembled drift bike is relatively expensive. Especially when you consider that there are motor-driven trikes.
The Big Wheel Drift Trike is manufactured by the American company SFD Industries, which specializes in the production of auto parts. This unit is equipped with a compact 6.5 hp petrol engine. It has a 26-inch wheel in front and two 3.5-inch wheels in the back. The rear wheels are fitted with replaceable plastic tubes so that the rollers themselves do not wear off when sliding.
Homemade drift trike
First, you need to have a bike that you do not mind putting under the saw. In addition, the choice of a bike for disassembly is limited to models with small wheels with a diameter of about 20 inches. Both a children’s bike and a BMX bike for motocross are suitable. For the manufacture of homemade drift vehicles, they take the old, but strong horse Kama as a basis. This bike has a strong enough center tube to weld a custom rear chassis to it.
The front wheel, the fork together with the steering wheel, the steering bushing, that is, the entire front part, up to the bottom bracket assembly, is used in its original form. Seat tube, upper rear stays are cut at the root. In the simplest version, the chainstays are left in place at the back. A plywood base is laid on them for sitting. Obviously, such a PIT-stop DIY is not very durable.
In an amicable way, the rear axle should have a double safety factor to support your body weight under dynamic loads. To assemble a reliable frame, you will need pipes with a diameter of 18 and 32 mm.
On the Internet, from a variety of different trike designs, you can choose the one that you like the most. A 1: 1 scale drawing will make it easier for you to assemble the frame. According to the drawing laid out on the floor, as in a sketch, it is convenient to assemble individual structural elements. People with a good eye can ignore this point.
It would be nice to have a pipe bender. It makes it easier to assemble an unusual bike with your own hands. You can, of course, not complicate the work, but assemble the rear frame of the buggy from straight pipes. But if there is a pipe bender, then you can bend the pipes for a more perfect frame, for example, make arcs in the corners to strengthen the structure. Of the tools, in any case, you will need a welding machine.
After finishing the welding work, you need to try on two small wheels on the finished frame. They can be taken ready-made, for example, from a cart, or cut from wooden blocks. The dimensions of the wheels are chosen as follows: width. 3.5 inches, diameter is approximately the same. For the rear rollers to glide better, a piece of large-diameter PVC water pipe is put on them.
To support the feet, the easiest way is to screw the pags onto the front wheel axle, or you can weld two pieces of pipe onto the fork stays. All in all, the work is creative and definitely fun.
After assembling the rear chassis, a comfortable seat can be installed, which can be a plastic chair or a small chair. You can also get by with a car tire, as the young inventor from Lipetsk did.
After the test runs, we correct minor errors, more precisely, we adjust the trike for ourselves. If necessary, we grind the welding seams and paint in the final.
Drift bikes and their differences
It’s strange that there are still people who have never heard of drift bikes. Even in the last century, such an extreme sport as drifting became very popular. In fact, drifting is a controlled drift. The most accessible transport for a controlled skid is a bicycle. But not a simple bike, but a special trike called the drift trike all over the world. Young people in New Zealand, Europe, America get together to compete in skill, share new tricks, have fun with friends.
A drift bike has three wheels, but it is not a child’s toy. Drift vehicles are very dangerous and require a lot of skills and driving skills.
The relation of law to fad
Interestingly, in Russian legislation, a drift trike refers to ordinary bicycles. Traffic regulations do not differentiate between tricycles and the more common two-wheeled bicycles. Therefore, no registration and rights to it are needed.
It is worth noting that drifting on a bike is a very dangerous pastime. Often, extreme lovers drive on roads with open traffic. While athletes organize their competitions on previously closed asphalt tracks.
In America, very often drifters on bicycles are chased by the traffic police, as can be seen by watching the first half-minute of the video.
When the trike is ready, you want to get the most out of it. No matter how unbearable you are to ride, imagine what could happen when you drive it into a pothole. Whenever jumping into a hole, the drift bike flips over. Without equipment, when falling at high speed, the rider is erased on the asphalt like an eraser. You can safely drift on a bike only on a familiar road and in motorcycle protection.
I must warn you that you will not be able to remain unnoticed on an outlandish thing. Someone will modestly stare, some will shout praiseworthy, someone will laugh and twist a finger at their temples. Ride and be the center of attention!
Determining the power
- the power of the engine, which is located around the wheel hub (the speed and traction qualities of an electric bike depend on it);
- battery capacity. The autonomous riding time and the weight of additional equipment depend on it, which usually does not exceed 10 kilograms.
Of course, additional data can be included in the assessment list, for example, the number of battery recharges (resource), the time spent on a full charge, and many other indicators.
Much depends on the rider’s weight. A teenager weighing 50 kg and an overweight man weighing 125 kg apparently need different sets.
What is included
In order to turn a bike into an electric bike, you need the following main components (they are included in every kit):
- wheel motor. This is the heart of the electric bike, the electric motor. You just change one wheel for another;
- accumulator battery;
- battery fasteners, wires;
- control panel, or console.
In order for disappointments not to be endless, you need to know that a sufficiently fast and long ride is possible only with a power of about 1000 W, that is, 1 kW. If you decide on the price, then for a wheel motor with a kilowatt engine, on average, you will have to pay 20 thousand rubles.
An electric bike can be made with a larger or smaller battery. So, a battery with a capacity of 18 Ah will cost 30 thousand rubles.
Therefore, it is not recommended to buy cheap electronic kits that can only drag for a short time on a flat road. They develop a power of 250. 35- W and can be considered children’s.
The ideal but expensive option is a 2000 W motor.
A cargo tricycle powered by car batteries can be considered quite an interesting and budget option. As you know, one such battery has a capacity of 55 Ah and can give very good results. It is not difficult to make such an electric bike with your own hands, it is much more difficult to find a reliable cargo bike with a trolley for placing batteries. In addition, a bike with support for more than two wheels can be more comfortable for fishing, for cycling tourism within reach of an outlet.
However, chargers have already been created that can power a bicycle electric motor from solar panels, charging it during the descent, and also charge it at halts using miniature steam turbine generators powered by fire energy.
What do you need it for?
First of all, you should think about what the bike will be used for, which has received equipment in the form of an electric motor. It will become heavier, it will not be possible to do XC and downhill on it, because the center of gravity of the system rises, the weight increases, and besides, you should not fall on such a bike. This can damage the motor and require replacement.
Typically, an electric bike is required for the following:
- power reserve just in case, in case of fatigue, for a reserve. This is a very good solution for older cyclists, as well as for people suffering from cardiovascular diseases, obesity. This allows you to go on quiet walks without the danger of being exhausted on the way back, if you cannot calculate them correctly;
- constant use for climbing a hill, in the form of a connection on difficult sections of the route. For this, the electric bike must be able to move on two sources of energy at once: muscular strength and the engine.
It is better not to use an electric bike on rough terrain. His destiny is country paths, asphalt pavement. Also, an e-bike does not like jumping.
Bicycle with a motor: the history of the modern electric bike.
Motorized bike. A bike with an outboard motor used to propel or assist a vehicle in motion. Sometimes classified as a car or a class of hybrid vehicle, a motorized bicycle is usually powered by an electric motor or, less commonly, small internal combustion engines. If it is driven by an electric motor, it is sometimes referred to as a light electric vehicle. In the past, combustion engines were more common on motorized bicycles than they are now, although electric motors were also used. With lighter batteries and better charging, the electric motor has recently become more popular.
1818 invention of the two-wheeled balance bike
1834 first electric motors in operation
1860 invention of lead-acid batteries
1885 formed the main features of the modern bicycle
1890 patented for the design of a bicycle-mounted electric drive.
1903 Harey Davidson’s first motorcycle was a motorized bicycle
1991 the first lithium-ion batteries emerge
1992 modern electric bicycles (electric moped)
Many motorized bicycles are based on standard bike structures and technologies, although there are extensive modifications for motorized bike technology.
Countries where the cycling culture is strong (especially in Asia), the motorized bike is especially popular. In 1996, Shanghai had 370,000 motorized bicycles and 470,000 other vehicles.
Motorized bicycles differ from motorcycles in that they can be propelled with pedals alone, if required. Mopeds also have pedals, but they are used as a last resort or because of legal requirements and are often not used at all.
The actual use of the pedals varies widely depending on the type of vehicle. You can only drive with the engine running if the driver does not want to pedal. The pedals can serve as additional force, for example when driving uphill.
DIY bike with a chainsaw motor
Over time, many cyclists get bored with just pedaling, and their engineering talent and imagination push them to such a step as installing an engine on a bicycle. A chainsaw is perfect as a donor for the motor. But here’s how to assemble a bike with a chainsaw motor with your own hands? This is what we will try to figure out.
Let’s take an engine from a chainsaw, the power of which is 1.5 hp. Many will doubt that a motor of such power will move a bicycle with a 100-kilogram cyclist from its place, but believe me, there is no need to worry: the bicycle will easily accelerate and gain speed of 30-35 km / h.
For the sake of fairness, I must say that acceleration cannot be called fast, but it does not interfere with driving. The good thing is that with such a motor, you will hardly smell gasoline, which makes it possible for such an option as storing at home.
Naturally, while driving, there is a crackling sound like a regular chainsaw, which means that you will move with a rather loud sound.
The bushing, to which the belt is tensioned from the engine, is fastened with special washers and screws. There are hubs of various diameters for different wheels: from the smallest to simply huge, for 28-inch wheels.
Inside, these bushings have a rubberized surface. Based on what was said earlier, it is not difficult to guess that the drive belt needs to be selected, taking into account the hub diameter and the wheel diameter. An important point is that the bushing must be fixed evenly, excluding any distortions.
Gas lever. Its control is carried out using a cable that adjusts the angle to which the damper in the engine carburetor is deflected. This lever is similar to the brake lever from a bicycle, which means that you will accelerate without turning the handle, as in a moped, but pressing the lever, as in a chainsaw.
To summarize the result you should get: a great bike for a low price. Very smart and enjoyable. Although, in this version there are also disadvantages: because of the noise, every dog in the dacha village considers you a personal enemy, trying to catch up with you and bite you!
DIY bike with a chainsaw motor
Immediately before making a moped from a bicycle and a chainsaw, its manufacturer will need to carefully prepare for work.
- gasoline engine. the speed of movement on a moped depends on its power. Most modern chainsaws are equipped with motors, the power of which ranges from 2 to 3 liters. from. Such an internal combustion engine will be sufficient for driving at speeds from 35 to 45 km / h on a flat road;
- fuel tank. it is best to choose a tank made of stainless steel. If a moped or carting from a chainsaw will be operated on a flat road, then a plastic tank is also suitable for assembling it;
- switch and wiring for connection to the ICE ignition system;
- the throttle handle and the connecting bicycle cable, which will allow the driver to timely adjust the position of the engine throttle valve;
- parts for assembling the bracket, as well as nuts and bolts, with which the motor can be securely installed on the bike frame;
- chains, pulleys and belts. necessary to connect the drive wheel to the engine from the chainsaw.
Much when assembling a moped depends on the correct sequence of actions by the manufacturer.
First of all, the manufacturer must determine how the power is transmitted from the motor to the drive wheel. To do this, you will need to calculate the gear ratio of the unit in advance. If the gear ratio is too low, the engine from the chainsaw will not be able to provide the traction required for movement. As a result, a moped or ATV with your own hands from a chainsaw will not be able to start moving. If the gear ratio is too high, then the motor will start to operate at the maximum allowable speed, which will increase its wear. In this case, the bike itself will go very slowly.
When calculating the gear ratio, the average example must be taken into account. So, if an engine is used to assemble a motorbike with a capacity of approximately 1.78 liters
sec., and rotation speed at maximum speed of 12500 rpm, then the gear ratio should be 1:26. The easiest way to transfer power from the pulley to the drive wheel is directly. A more costly method is to use a pulley or sprocket, which is additionally installed on the rear drive wheel. In this case, the wheel itself is connected to the motor using a chain or drive belt. When choosing between a belt and a chain, it is better to give preference to the first option, since using a belt when operating a homemade moped will be safer for the driver and his passenger; In a second step, the manufacturer must assemble the clutch. At the same time, those who want to make a motorbike have 2 options. The first is the use of a ready-made centrifugal clutch, which was originally provided for in the proprietary device of the chainsaw and turns on automatically when the engine sets a certain speed of rotation. The second method is to use a bicycle ratchet. A moped equipped with such a clutch from a chainsaw picks up a certain speed of movement and rolls by inertia. At this time, the ratchet itself is not connected to the drive wheel. Thus, after several clicks on the throttle lever, the motorbike can move at idle speed for a rather long time. This allows the driver to save fuel, especially when driving on straight road sections; The third step in making a moped from a chainsaw is installing the fuel tank and connecting the unit controls. The gas tank itself can be fixed next to the place where the used internal combustion engine will be mounted. The second option is to install the tank on the frame, but in this case, you will need to run a fuel hose to connect it to the motor. To install the ignition, the operator will need to pull a wire from the motor and connect it to a switch located in advance on the handle. This will allow you to quickly shut off the engine if necessary. You will need to install the throttle trigger next to the ignition switch. You must first remove the retainer from it. This will allow the trigger to slide smoothly on the grip. Further, the cable from the throttle trigger will need to be connected to the throttle valve of the standard carburetor.
we collect a moped with a gas engine
This is an advanced method, and the result is more like a real moped. To make it, we need:
- gasoline engine;
- moped parts: wheels, shock absorbers, exhaust pipe, brakes;
- proven bike frame;
Since here we are going to get a real moped, the frame must have increased strength and weight. Also, on mopeds, the frame design is slightly different, because of which you may have to redo it a little.
Wheels from a moped are put on the frame. The fork will need to be redesigned as the width of the wheels will be wider than the distance between the dropouts. If possible, install shock absorbers on the fork.
Carefully sort out the power unit of the moped and replace all defective parts. The propulsion system will require a separate space, for this a welded metal platform at the bottom of the frame would be a good option. The engine and fuel tank are secured to the site with metal mounts. It is better to place the battery closer to the steering wheel. An exhaust pipe is connected to the bottom of the engine. The pipe must be firmly fixed to the frame so that it does not dangle while driving.
Transmission. Next, you will need to make the engine torque transmission system:
- Remove the pedals and chainring from the bike frame.
- Install sprockets on the rear wheel from the moped and the engine shaft. Larger wheel star.
- Slide the rear wheel onto the frame.
- Use a chain to connect the stars.
Motor connection. The clutch and throttle are connected to the ignition lever via drive cables. The tension is selected so that the engine can start immediately and start spinning the wheel.
Brakes. If only one brake can be enough for a bicycle (say, the front one), then here it is better to play it safe and install them on both wheels. The rear can be used as the main, and the front as an auxiliary, to adjust the speed.
In general, a homemade bike-based moped will look like this:
Since a vehicle equipped with an engine moves faster than a regular bicycle (for this, a redesign is thought), for safety reasons, it is necessary to put lighting devices on it. Personal protective equipment. helmet, knee pads and special shoes.
How Motorcycles Work. The Basics