Types of bike lights
There are quite a few different light sources. The combination of belt and flashlights is very popular among cyclists.
This is due to the fact that other light sources are simply not suitable for installation on a bicycle:
- Halogen light sources are large and require a heavy battery to power them.
- Neon versions do not withstand mechanical stress. Even a minor blow can cause a serious defect.
- Xenon energy sources are too bright, so at the time of movement, other athletes may have serious problems.
When choosing, attention is paid to where exactly the light source will be located. Recently, they have been decorating wheels, since due to their rotation, an unusual and very attractive effect is created.
How to make a backlight on a bicycle with your own hands?
On sale you can find just a huge number of different sets of light sources, but to save money, they are made by hand.
Diode light sources are widely used.
Their placement is carried out using two methods:
- Independent mount.
- A special tube is created that withstands environmental influences.
Manufacturing can be carried out as follows:
- Diodes are purchased, about 10 pieces, a 5 mm version is quite enough. The color is chosen according to your own preferences.
- Wires are required to power the light sources. At the time of design, the required length should be calculated.
- The work can only be carried out with a soldering iron and solder. This is due to the fact that this connection method provides high reliability of fastening and low resistance during current transfer.
- All connections must be insulated. For this, a special electrical tape is purchased.
- The switch is required for the case when the movement is carried out during the daytime.
- A battery is installed as a power source. It can have a variety of sizes, the larger, the longer it will last during operation.
After finding everything you need, you can assemble the light source.
The instructions for carrying out the work are as follows:
- Structural elements are being dismantled. In some cases, the light sources are attached to the wheel. For this they are dismantled.
- The place for installing the diodes is cleaned, it must be grease-free. When carrying out the work under consideration, it is important to ensure the isolation of energy sources and conductive elements, since the frame is made of metal and acts as a conductor.
- The mount is pasted over with electrical tape to eliminate the likelihood of contact with the spokes or rim. It is important to provide a high degree of insulation.
- Checking the outputs.
- The diodes are attached. For this, the contacts are folded, but other methods can be used. The choice is made depending on how active the trip is
- All diodes are connected using the solder method. In this case, all contacts must be qualitatively isolated.
- The wires are led out to the sleeve, which is fixed by a variety of methods.
- System operability is checked. To do this, just turn it on and drive a little along the road, due to strong shaking contact may be broken.
DIY bike lighting options
Like a car, a bicycle has recently become a way of expressing a sense of style. It can be especially attractive at night, for which the backlight is created.
Modern technologies do not hold down the owner of the bike, as there are small power sources. Let’s consider the features of such work in more detail.
LED Strip Light
The use of LED strip greatly simplifies the task of decorating the bike. Today they are sold in rolls of 5 meters.
When working with such a light source, you need to consider:
- Be careful when checking polarity.
- Cutting should be done in segments.
- It is necessary to monitor the total length of the tape.
Why do you need lights on a bike?
Backlighting is required for a bike because it makes it beautiful and visible at night. At the same time, creating it yourself, you can make the bike more attractive.
Among other features, we note the following:
- The bright bike is visible not only to other cyclists, but also to other road users. It is at night that more accidents occur.
- Bicycles with custom lighting equipment are much less stolen. This is because they are more visible and unique.
- A bike like this could sell for a lot more. This is due to the uniqueness of the improvements made.
You can often find a situation where a neon tube is used. It looks quite attractive as it emits a soft color.
However, there are also several disadvantages:
What you need for a homemade LED backlight?
To upgrade your bike, you will need:
- LED strip for the bike;
- Battery holders;
- AAA batteries;
- Glue and a gun for him;
- 10 ohm resistor;
- Elastic band (cut off the old bicycle tube).
It is often possible to see a cyclist in the dark, who is equipped with a rear, front flashlight and special bright cycling clothing. However, this does not mean that the cyclist is clearly visible on the road. For greater safety, you can use the illumination of the bike, both the frame and the wheels, which ultimately completely solves the problem of good visibility on the road, both for pedestrians and motorists.
- Read also what is better to choose a lamp for a bicycle or a headlight.
- In addition, you also need to purchase flashers, brake lights and turn signals for a bicycle.
Types of backlights
Wheel lights come in various shapes (skulls, boomerangs, butterflies, etc.) and content (with text, images. graphic and glowing in different colors). Attaches to bushings, spokes and nipples.
Let’s consider the most common types of backlighting:
Illuminated bicycle wheel nipple caps
This is what the illumination of the nipple caps of a bicycle wheel looks like in motion.
led-podsvetka bicycle wheels in motion
Neon Tubes. Consists of neon lights that glow while driving and are powered by a rechargeable battery that can be attached to the wheel hub. Provides the same effect as nipple caps, only with a larger diameter.
In order to make the illumination for the wheel yourself, you will need a minimum set of components, namely: LEDs, wires, batteries, a soldering iron, insulating tape, clamp for fastening.
Practical beauty in the light of lights
By attaching a strip of LED lights to the frame, the navigator will be able to illuminate his path without using additional energy sources for this. The lights will be lit by the charge generated while the bike is moving.
So that the frame design is not only stylishly decorated with lights, but also helps the cyclist on the road, it is easy to make or simply equip the frame with direction indicators and a brake light with the help of LED lights. In the dark, such equipment will be useful, which will be especially appreciated by other road users.
How to install an LED strip on a bike?
Installing the LED strip for the bike is a snap. If a ready-made package was purchased, then it remains to assemble the parts according to the scheme among themselves and firmly fix them. Indeed, during the races, the lighting devices will be subject to such a load that, if installed carelessly, they can fly off on one of the obstacles.
Whoever was lucky enough to make a chain of the above elements on their own should take into account the importance of protecting the diode tape and the wires connected to it, batteries from water and dirt. This is what the hot spray gun silicone glue is for.
There are two types of bicycle lights. neon and LED: Neon lights consist of a thin cord in which a wire is placed, and is powered by a battery. The advantage of neon lighting is its glowing efficiency, i.e. rather bright and conspicuous light is more expensive than conventional LEDs. LED backlighting consists of one or more diodes, which are powered by various types of batteries. Less bright and less energy consuming, cheaper.
Variety of colors
As for the variety of colors, here the user can apply all the existing options, ranging from one white, ending with a combination of white with blue and red, or other combinations.
Types of backlights
How to make LED strip backlight yourself
A fairly simple way for those who are friends with a soldering iron. To get started, you need to acquire some materials and tools. We will need:
- LED Strip Light;
- 12 volt power supply;
- soldering iron, solder;
- hot glue, double-sided tape;
- small switch.
When we have all the tools to create the bike lighting, let’s get to work:
You need to calculate the required length of the tape, then cut it off. You can cut strictly in the places indicated on the tape itself, it is divided into sections.
LED strip for bike light
The light for the frame is ready. It remains only to check her work. Likewise, you can equip bicycle wheels with an LED strip. This method will be no less effective than neon tubes or caps. If you have decided how to make a backlight on the wheels of a bicycle, and the choice fell on lighting with an LED strip, let’s get to work. The whole process follows the same principle as gluing to the frame, only the tape is cut into small pieces in sections, and is glued in parts. The main thing is, when working with elements, always take into account the polarity.
DIY bike lights
You can create an attractive image with your own hands using simple tools that you can easily acquire. There are several ways to make a bike light. A variety of options will allow you to modernize vehicles in accordance with your preferences of colors, shapes, as well as requirements for brightness and practicality.
Diode light for wheels
Another equally effective and not so costly option. With certain skills, this method does not take much time. Required materials and tools:
How to make a brake light for Bicycle
- diodes in the right amount, up to 10 pieces are enough for each wheel;
- wires, the length of which must first be calculated by measuring the circumference, the diameter of the wheels;
- power supply;
- soldering iron, solder;
- insulating material;
- small switch.
- We prepare the workplace, remove the wheel, clean and degrease the surface on which the diodes will be attached.
- We insulate with heat shrink or electrical tape those parts of the diodes with which they will be attached to the bike.
- Given the polarity, we connect with wires, solder, attach the diodes, isolating the contacts during work.
- We take out and fasten the ends of the wires to the place of the power source, which also needs to be fixed with clamps on the wheel hub.
- We attach a switch to one of the wires.
- Check the light is working, mount the wheel on the bike.
Luminous tubes can be made in a similar way, and then fixed on the rim. For this, the connected wires with diodes are hidden in a long transparent tube. Short tubes can be used in the same way.
Bicycle lighting will not only make its appearance, making it bright and visible, but will also greatly benefit from the glow effect. It will become safer to drive such a bike in the dark, because it will be clearly visible to all road users.
How to make a headlight for a bicycle yourself? How to choose the right LED for your flashlight? The parts you need, how to assemble and mount on the bike.
We design our own bicycle with an electric motor, install the wheel motor on the bicycle with our own hands. What do you need to install a wheel motor? Principle of operation, required parts and installation recommendations.
We design our own bike with a motor, install a chainsaw or lawn mower engine over the rear fender. Installation methods, as well as turnkey solutions.
DIY LED lights for a bike
Components that you will need: 1) Battery (there are different types of 12V to 6V batteries) 2) LED strip or LEDs and transistors. LED strips are different for both 12V and 6V, they also differ in brightness, etc. 3) Wires. There are different wires, it is better to take thick wires, later I will explain why. 4) Terminals Will be needed for more convenient attachment of wires to the battery. 5) Buttons. will be needed to turn on the light off
Make this DIY Insanely Bright LED Bike Light for Cheap! (with LED Strips too)
A tool that will be useful to you: 1) A soldering iron and tin. it will not work without it (there is an option of winding the wires manually, but this will entail an open current circuit and nothing will burn) 2) Insulating tape (electrical tape) or glue. I would advise you to insulating tape due to the fact that you can always disassemble and assemble the structure. You can also use a heat pipe instead of glue and electrical tape, but it’s a little more difficult to do with it.
Choosing accessories. We chose a super bright 12V LED strip, small battery.
We start the installation. We measure 2 LED strips according to the size of your plug, cut off (the diode strip can not be cut everywhere.
30 cm on the tape there are split clamps to which you can solder). Next, we install the LEDs on the plug on electrical tape and measure the required length of the wire from the plug to the steering wheel or to the place where you want to make the switch. Frozen, cut off. We soldered the LED strip to the wire. ATTENTION! Observe the polarity, the current flows from plus to minus (to.) Attention! Do not connect to the battery during installation. The current at 12V will certainly kill you, but you can get a good burn. We solder the structure. We install a button in the chain and check whether it is on or not, lightly fix the wires with electrical tape on the (frame, handlebars) of the bike. Turn on. it is on. So everything is fine, you can install and fix everything tightly. Turn on. off. Bad. This means that the contact is moving away somewhere or the polarity is reversed. We are looking for our mistake and fix it.
We begin the rigid installation of the LEDs. We begin the installation by tightly attaching the LED strips and wires to the bike fork. I would advise you to do a rigid installation with the structure turned on. so that if the contact leaves somewhere, you quickly figure out where it is. We wound the legs of the forks and smoothly go to the buttons (on the steering wheel). I advise you to run the wire without tension on the jacket of the front brake cable. We fasten the button with electrical tape and move to the place where the battery will be located. This is usually under the frame or on the bike frame. Wherever you want. And voila, everything is ready =) Exactly the same scheme is used to illuminate the frame, etc.