How often and with what means it is necessary to wash the chain?
Experts recommend carrying out this procedure after each trip through contaminated areas. The fact is that if you systematically leave particles of clay, sand or earth on the chain, very soon it will begin to rust and fail.
If we talk about what exactly to wash the chain with, then there are many options. Some people use ordinary detergents and soap for this purpose, but then the chain must be thoroughly dried, otherwise it will quickly rust. You can also clean the chain with white spirit or kerosene. It is undesirable to use gasoline for these purposes. As a last resort, you can clean the dried-up dirt with a dry rag or brush. this is better than leaving the chain dirty anyway.
Experienced cyclists who have not lubricated the chain for the first time know many secrets that greatly simplify this process:
How and how to lubricate a chain on a bicycle with a multi-speed transmission
Lubricate the chain regularly and tighten the transmission cables. These are two tips we hear when buying a bike, they are reminded of in a serious workshop, and they are repeated by experienced riders. With the transmission, everything is clear: when the cable is stretched, the gear will jump on its own, and the desired speed cannot be turned on. What about the bike chain? Why it is necessary to take care of her, and why such a reverent approach to the choice of a lubricating drug?
For wet weather conditions
It is best to lubricate the bike chain with heavy grease before it rains. It is delivered in a liquid state into the gap between the pin and the roller and thickens after a while. Crafting recipe:
- Find vehicle compound 58 for propeller shafts or “marine” consistency for hubs.
- Mix with gasoline Galosha (alternative. fuel for lighters) in a 1: 1 ratio.
- Pour the mixture into a vial of nasal drops or fill into a syringe.
How to properly lubricate your bike chain: tips and tricks
One of the most important parts of your bike is your bike chain. Its serviceability directly affects the ease and speed of the bike, so every bike enthusiast should very carefully monitor the condition of this element and keep it clean.
The fact is that with systematic contamination of the chain, you will very quickly overtake the wear of the sprockets or the whole cassette and other serious troubles. An unkempt chain will quickly become unusable, and replacing it is a rather complicated process, and most importantly expensive.
Of course, if you are fond of short walks in a metropolis, then the problem of chain pollution is irrelevant for you. And it is necessary to wipe it from time to time. Cyclists who prefer extreme off-road driving are a completely different matter. After each such trip, a significant layer of dirt adheres to the chain, which must be removed.
Which lubricant to give preference?
Each lubricant has its pros and cons, so be guided by your wallet and weather conditions, and choose the best option for you.
Probably it should be added that in no case use WD-40 and other similar agents that contain white spirit as a lubricant for the chain. Such means are just used to clean the chain from the remnants of the previous lubricant. Trying to lubricate the
chain with something like this, on the contrary, you leave it without any residual lubricant, thereby corroding. It is also better not to even try to use transformer and machine oil if you want your bike to serve you faithfully for a long time.
Algorithm of action
- Think over the necessary workplace and cover it with paper or old newspapers.
- The rear wheel of the bicycle is raised so that the pedals can rotate freely.
- Place a rag around the chain to avoid getting grease on the rim.
- Pour the required amount of lubricant into the chain cleaner, then attach it to the chain.
- Pedal gently backwards.
- If you see that the entire chain is covered with a small layer of grease, the lubrication process can be considered complete.
- Blot off excess oil with a clean dry cloth. If accidental drops get on other parts of the bike, they must also be removed immediately.
Wheel axle bearings
If the grease has dried, then there is resistance to the wheel movement, increased noise level, and when the bearing is destroyed, a “backlash” occurs in the wheel, and even wheel jamming may occur.
The bearing lubrication scheme is identical to that of the carriage bearings.
How to properly lubricate a mountain bike?
A bicycle is one of such human mechanical inventions, in which there are elements that interact with each other by rolling some surfaces relative to others (wheel hubs, main carriage), by means of a chain transmission and by entering one smaller cylindrical surface into another. this is the damping mechanism front fork.
Despite the fact that bearings significantly reduce friction, proper lubrication of all these elements is necessary: friction is reduced, movement is easier. This increases the life of the parts. However, it is important to know how to lubricate your bike properly.
The better the bike, the better the factory lubricant, the longer it lasts. These mountain bike models include, for example, Merida, GT. For example, it is known that the 2009 GT Avalanche 2.0 can freely gain 10,000 km without any lubrication of the bushings and carriages, while there is no damage to the bearings. Of course, this does not mean that you should not give a damn about the maintenance of the bike.
In the event that you buy an “Auchan-bike”, it will be right to “open” all the units that need lubrication, check them and lubricate them again immediately after the purchase. Sometimes it is necessary to replace something immediately, for example, the rear bushing and bearings of the main carriage.
Probably it is not necessary to additionally indicate that only a thoroughly washed and, most importantly, dried bike should be lubricated.
So which parts of the bike need lubrication and how is it done?
The bike has several cables that transmit the force from the shifters and brake levers to the front and rear derailleurs, as well as to the disc brakes or V. brake. If dirt has accumulated between the jacket and the cable, or the surfaces are dry, then the control may “stick”. This leads to untimely gear changes and even to the impossibility of emergency braking.
To lubricate the cable entry and exit points from the jacket, apply a couple of drops of lubricant, and then “work” with the shifter lever or the brake handle. This allows you to lubricate evenly and to a considerable depth.
Front fork damping system
It is the presence of a shock absorber that allows the biker not to pay attention to obstacles and makes the bike passable. A good shock absorber resists the reaction of the support to the front wheel in a timely manner, so the fork must be kept in good condition.
Normally, it is necessary to lubricate the “legs” of the plug after 150-200 kilometers, after 700 kilometers (on average) the oil seals are disassembled and lubricated, and annually or after running 3-4 thousand kilometers. the oil in the shock absorber is completely replaced.
It is better to show all the care of the fork in the video than to describe it in detail in text. For example, here you can see all the preventive maintenance operations for the front fork and shock absorbers:
Chain tensioning mechanism
Rear derailleur rollers. They are often “clogged” by grease and dirt deposits that have thickened around the perimeter. They must be removed carefully, for example with a flat-blade screwdriver.
It is necessary to apply a dotted liquid lubricant on the roller axles to avoid squeaking and tight rotation. Only lubricated, they are able to keep the chain taut.
How to lubricate a bicycle chain
- increase the chain tension by moving it to the corresponding large sprockets;
- carefully clean the chain from dirt, you can use a rag by pressing it against the free section of the bicycle chain and turning the pedal;
- then we lubricate the chain, it is better to apply the lubricant over the top point of the roller (if the bike is standing with its wheels up). Make sure one drop falls on each link.
- When the whole chain is lubricated, you need to intensively turn the pedals in the opposite direction. “idle” of the chain for a minute, and then, having selected the medium speed, turn the bicycle chain in the forward direction.
- At the final stage, remove all excess oil from the outside with a soft clean rag, since the main action of the lubricant is to work on the inner joints of the links, and from the outside, ordinary grease “clings” dust, poplar fluff and contaminates the rollers and rear sprockets with its deposits. So don’t be afraid to rub the chain properly.
In addition to lubrication, you need to monitor the “mileage” of the chain. On average, it needs to be replaced after every 1500. 2000 km for the following reasons:
The question often arises as to how often to lubricate the chain.?
There are no uniform standards. It all depends on the feelings of the bike owner:
- if resistance or crunch appears in the circuit;
- after driving through dust and sand;
- after any walk that exceeds 3-5 hours.
Some people lubricate the chain after 100 km of run, regardless of operating conditions. Probably this decision is the most correct, as it teaches you to regular maintenance.
Main run carriage
We can say that this is the “main” axis of the bicycle. It is from it that the impulse is “distributed” to other elements. Therefore, the state of the carriage depends on the speed, and ease, and comfort of the course. The carriage elements are:
- actual axis,
A different, “thick” grease is put into the carriage, not the kind that drips onto the chain or cables.
How to lubricate the carriage
Lubrication of the carriage on a bicycle is done by simply placing grease in the cups and on the surface of the bearings, on the bushing, and also distributing them evenly. In addition, before lubricating the carriage, it is advisable to thoroughly wash the bearings and all cavities, the surface of the bushing, for example, with kerosene. It is flushing that will subsequently make it possible to properly lubricate the carriage.
Any such lubricant is sold in a special bottle that is equipped with a nozzle for pinpoint action when lubricating bicycle chains. If you do not have individual preferences, feel free to make those choice in favor of liquid. Even a hard-to-reach place where you can’t stick a spout can be lubricated with a regular syringe. After the lubrication procedure, the excess must be removed. The only drawback is the ability to use at subzero temperatures (begins to thicken).
An aerosol type lubricant represents the liquid consistency of oil in a container. The lubrication process is carried out through a suitable tube. Suitable for hard-to-reach places. The second plus will be its low weight, which makes it possible to take it with you on the road. Low efficiency due to the spray area, which also touches other parts.
Bicycle Chain Lubrication Instructions
Every novice lover of cycling fun is worried about the problem: how to properly lubricate a bicycle chain. This procedure consists of two key stages.
- Cleaning the chain from clumps of remaining material. It is a mixture of previously applied grease and adhered dirt.
- The second step is directly applying the lubricant.
Let’s look at two cleaning methods. fast and global.
Fast cleaning is characterized by the absence of actions associated with dismantling the chain. The main condition is that such cleaning must be carried out on the street.
- We begin to wipe the chain with a dry cloth, accompanying the action with a rotational movement of the pedals. We work to get rid of all the dirt.
- Wipe off all the stars.
- We clean each link of the bicycle chain with a small rag.
- Having previously diluted the detergent in lukewarm water, use an unnecessary toothbrush to thoroughly clean the bicycle chain.
- After rinsing, wash with plain water.
- Wipe dry and leave to dry.
- It is advisable to repeat this process with asterisks.
Global cleaning involves dismantling the entire chain and placing it in a special cleaning agent. Using a rag and a brush, we rip out the product to perfect condition.
- The assembled chain must be in place.
- We start lubrication from the first link, marking it with some sign.
- Each roller must be greased meticulously.
- Avoid getting lubricant on the tire, rim or brake.
- After the end of the process, we rotate the pedals for two minutes to evenly apply the bike lubricant.
- Remove excess with a rag.
How to lubricate a bicycle chain
Bicycle Chain Lubrication Signs
There are several basic signs that an experienced cyclist can use to determine if a bike chain lubricant should be applied. The most common symptom will be stiffness during motor movements. An indirect sign may be the cyclist’s fatigue. The appearance of rust on the chain elements also indicates untimely cleaning and insufficient lubrication. Well, pay attention to the extraneous sounds when driving. A rustling and crunching sound should make you take up the service immediately.
Such features lead to premature wear of the sprockets, failure of the tensioner and destruction of the product links. In order not to get such a result, it is imperative to clean and lubricate the bicycle chain when exposed to unsightly weather conditions, after a long journey on an unpaved surface and, of course, after “hibernation”.
Bicycle chain lubricants
Consider the features of popular types of chain lubricants.
- Teflon option. In terms of its effectiveness, it knows no equal. Its application is accompanied by the formation of a thin and absolutely no layer, which does not allow dust to stick. It is realized in the form of an aerosol. However, with this method of application, increased consumption is possible. The best recommendation would be a similar lubricant in liquid form.
- The silicone base of such a lubricant has one important advantage. it reduces the physical friction of the bicycle elements. There is an aerosol prototype. The constituent components also serve to repel dust.
- Graphite based lubricant. Increases the wear resistance of the chain. Differs in anti-corrosion properties of a penetrating nature.
- Paraffin lubricant for bicycle chains. It becomes possible to create a thick layer over the entire area of the involved parts. It wears out rather quickly compared to the Teflon version.
In principle, the use of automotive gear oils is not prohibited. But the presence of a big minus. the attraction of dust. classifies this product as not recommended. Or clean and lubricate after every three rides.
These lubricants are the most popular among cyclists. Depending on the basis, they have different characteristics and seasonality of use. They have one common property. durability during operation. Usually, a field of heavy rain quickly dissolves, but at the same time they perform their functions very efficiently. In more detail, their classification and characteristics are reflected in the paragraph on lubricants.
How to clean a bike chain without removing it in 2 easy steps
An interesting application in modern times is becoming a two-component bicycle lubricant. It is based on two components. a liquid-based solvent and a thick lubricant mass. The most effective influence is carried out on parts that rub tightly. The exposure technology provides for the lubrication of the chain, followed by the evaporation of the solvent and the presence of thick grease in the right places. The disadvantage is associated with time. After the procedure, the bike cannot be used for about an hour. During this time, the solvent will disappear.
Step VI: Saturate the chain with a degreaser. into a degreaser by following the steps below:
- Place it in a container containing a degreaser.
- Submerge it completely and then close the lid tightly to keep air from escaping.
- Shake the bottle for a while.
- Let the chains soak into the bottle for at least 20 minutes.
The purpose of the above procedures is to remove any lubricant from the chain. You may need to repeat the entire exercise a second or even third time if you do not get satisfactory results.
Bicycle Chain Replacement Oil
People usually look for cheaper ways to solve everyday problems. We don’t expect anything to change when it comes to cycling oils. People have tried quite a few options; most will work, but not perfect. Bicycles are demanding on the quality of service you offer. Substitutes will be either too thin or too greasy, attract a lot of dust, last a very short time, or simply cause more problems.
This is one of the best options for Mediterranean weather. These areas are often rainy and humid. It is recommended to use a solvent to facilitate its penetration into the chain links. Grease will work only as long as it will be applied, which limits it, even though it is one of the best lubricants. The biggest problem with lubrication is that it collects dust while driving. The more dirt it collects, the more grinding will be. This negates the whole idea of lubrication to reduce friction. This type of lubricant will need to be changed from time to time when the weather becomes dry, or you can change it when the weather changes to lighter ones.
Step VIII: Rebuild the bike chain
It’s time to rebuild the bike chain. For this:
- Reattach the main link
- Adjust the ends of the bikes so that they line up at the midpoint between your wheels
- Complete the reconnection by sliding the main link pin back into the original groove
- Determine if it is properly secured by feeling with your fingers (it will deform if the slot is not even).
- Make any necessary changes or adjustments as needed.
PS: The above guidelines are general. Thus, they may never work with all types of bicycles. For best results, you must strictly follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Use previously captured videos for convenient work. Remember, the result should look exactly like the photo you took earlier.
2 sq. What can I use to clean my bike chain?
To guarantee the best results, you must use a variety of tools, equipment, materials and supplies. These include:
- Stiff brush / old toothbrush. for removing sticky debris
- Dry cloth. to remove excess grease
- Drip pan or plastic tub. to soak the chain to loosen the lubricant
- Dish soap. acts as a detergent to clean sparkles chains
- Degreaser. weakens grease
- Defense Mechanisms. Protects your body and clothing from direct contact with lubricant
- Gas mask. protects you from inhaling the strong smell of kerosene and turpentine
How to clean your bicycle chain in 10 mins without removing it?
Step-by-step instructions for cleaning your bike Chain
How to remove the chain
A little about how to remove the chain from the bike for maintenance.
If there is a lock link on the chain, it is a lock, then there are no problems. we open it and remove the chain. If there are selected links, then using a squeeze, we remove one of the pins, and then open the circuit.
If the chain is “classic”, then we choose an arbitrary link and press it in. It must be remembered that a link that has been removed once becomes less reliable, with prolonged use. replace such links, do not reuse them.