How to adjust the handlebars on a bike
In fact, head tube height and direction play a significant role in riding comfort and energy efficiency. So, a high handlebar is usually chosen for recreational riding, and low models. for sports purposes. both on high-speed bikes and trial bikes.
Direction of adjustment
In what directions is the steering wheel adjusted? First of all, it is the height of the steering wheel. It determines the angle at which the cyclist’s body and his arms will be during riding. In turn, the tension of various muscle groups, the speed of their fatigue and, accordingly, the general state of the athlete’s body depend on the angle of inclination.
As already mentioned, the rudders are often raised when riding “for rest” and lowered to reduce wind resistance in races at speed. In addition, the low simple role is the most reliable in the case of sports disciplines BMX, Trial, Downhill and the like. Actually, the bar height parameter is selected individually, depending on the riding style.
The “zero” position for adjustment selects the level of the bicycle saddle. The handlebars are considered high if they are above the saddle, and low. lower. Of course, all such measurements are very arbitrary, and several iterations and changes are required for the height configuration to be ideal.
Next, we’ll show you how to raise or lower the steering wheel by changing the position of the steering column. However, auxiliary methods of increasing and decreasing the height are also possible:
- A sharp angle stem will help raise the handlebars.
- On a BMX bike, many of the handlebars are quite high on their own. the head tube increases the height of the grip point.
However, most often refer to the simple and provided on almost all models of bicycles. Before starting it, you should pay attention to what type of steering column you have on your bike. The whole process of work depends on it.
The type of threaded mount is found on specialized professional bicycles, as it is lighter than a threadless mount, but most often it can be seen on bicycles of the lower price segment and old Soviet models.
In this case, the head tube is placed inside the column and tightened with nuts, connecting to the steering gear. Everything is simple and reliable, however, it can be a little dirty. the lower part of the pipe usually collects lubricant from the mechanism.
So, the steps to change the height of the steering wheel in steps:
- Loosen the fixing nut (it “covers” the steering tube at the very bottom, above the frame).
- If necessary, do the same with the steering tube lock nut.
- We raise the pipe to the desired height. An extension cord may be needed to raise the bar higher than usual.
- We tighten the fastening nut first, and then the lock nut.
The deed is done, it was not so difficult to fix the steering wheel!
Threadless column is the de facto standard for modern mountain bikes (you can read more about the steering column here). The mechanism here is somewhat more complicated and heavier, and the rudder is attached to the pipe using an additional element. the stem. With threaded mechanisms, all three of these components are one, which is the reason for less weight and greater reliability. In this case, the height is not set by the position of the pipe, but by the addition of special spacer rings to the pipe freed from removal.
Actually, the change is made as follows:
- Unscrew the anchor bolt with a hexagon (“cover” on the top of the pipe).
- We unscrew the pulling bolts of the stem, with which it is attached to the steering tube.
- Gently trying to remove the steering wheel along with the stem.
- Add spacer rings to the pipe (or remove them to reduce the total length of the structure).
- Installing the takeaway back.
- We tighten the tightening bolts first, then the anchor. The main thing is not to tighten the steering wheel too much, this can damage the parts.
The direction of the stem (and therefore the handlebars) should be carefully adjusted and aligned with the front wheel as it is very easy to move the structure during operations. To correct the direction, it is enough to slightly loosen the bolts that hold the stem, and, having set the correct direction, tighten them.
Tilt angle and extension
Besides the height, the rudder can be adjusted according to other parameters. This primarily applies to threadless speakers, as they are designed for modular change and fine tuning. Threaded options are almost always solid and are not adapted to adjustments additional to the height.
The angle of inclination is easily changed using the hexagon. By loosening the stem bolts, the rudder tube can be “scrolled” to the desired position. This is especially often required when working with raised and complex tourist rudders, since the position of the hands can be changed for each condition.
A separate issue is takeaway. Actually, in a process such as adjustment, it is a key element for threadless steering assembly. Offsets are very different:
- vertical to increase the height;
- horizontal to compensate for the length of the frame;
- corner for convenient installation of additional gadgets and auxiliary accessories.
The only thing to remember is that stems come in various types and sizes and may not match the accessories you have.
Adjusting the handlebars of a bicycle is a simple operation that allows you to dramatically increase ride comfort, and with your own hands, without resorting to mechanics or “professional friends”, bring your own bike to mind. The correct handlebar height, tilt and other characteristics, no doubt, should be selected according to the rider’s own experience and comfort.
How to raise the handlebar on a bicycle: practical recommendations
Adjusting the steering wheel of a two-wheeled vehicle to suit personal needs is of great importance, since not only the rider’s comfort while driving, but also maintaining the correct posture depends on it. Let’s find out how to raise the handlebar on a bicycle, adjusting its position to your personal needs.
It is necessary to decide in advance for what purposes the bike will be used. For example, driving on highways requires maximum control over the traffic situation. Therefore, in this case, the handlebar is set in such a way that the angle between the cyclist’s back and the vertical is about 30 o.
How to raise the handlebar on a bike for a walking pace? For young people, the landing angle should be 45-60 degrees. and for the elderly. 60-90 o.
How to raise the handlebars on a speed bike? In this case, the bike control device should be located above the seat. For hybrid and mountain models, it is best to place the handlebars flush with the seat.
How to raise the handlebars on a kid’s bike?
Usually, loosen the center lock nut to raise the handlebars on a kid’s bike. If the child assumes a crouched position during landing, it is necessary to move the control higher. When the baby hits the steering wheel with his knees, just change his inclination.
What tools may be needed to adjust the steering wheel?
- set of hex keys;
- tension limiters that will prevent thread stripping (especially useful when working with components made of lightweight materials);
- adjustable wrench (for working with old-style steering columns);
- for servicing specific stems, torxes. keys with a star-shaped head will be indispensable.
How to quickly change the height of the handlebars on a modern bicycle?
The easiest way to adjust the position of your bike steering aid is to use specialized spacer rings. The latter often come complete with two-wheeled vehicles. If it is necessary to lower the stem lower, the tapered rings can be removed from the vertical axis of the steering column or replaced with a shortened spacer.
How to raise the handlebar on a bicycle?
- To begin with, the front wheel of the bike is fixed. Then the bolts that attach the stem to the steering tube of the suspension fork are loosened.
- The steering column cover is removed. As a rule, 4-5 mm wrenches are suitable for this.
- The stem is removed from the head tube.
- Next, you need to decide how high you need to raise the steering wheel. Based on this, the appropriate number of spacer rings is put on the steering tube.
- The stem is reinstalled, after which the steering column cover is put on top and the central fixing bolt is tightened until full resistance. Next, you should lift the bike by the frame and check how pliable all the components go.
Once you’ve figured out how to raise the handlebars on your bike, it is imperative to align the stem so that it is flush with the wheel. Finally, just test the ride comfort with the new handlebar height.
Particular attention when manipulating the steering column should be paid precisely to the level of clamping of the joints. Too little tightening will subsequently lead to bearing damage due to backlash. Overly strong will affect the bike’s handling. Component tightening is ideal, in which the suspended wheel immediately tilts to the side under its own weight.
How to raise the handlebars on a mountain bike: helpful tips
The installation of the steering system in one position or another largely determines the correct fit of the cyclist. Therefore, the question of how to raise the handlebars on a mountain bike remains relevant for many bike owners. Taking the task seriously can relieve tension from the back and arms, which will improve the overall level of comfort while riding.
Can the handlebars be raised on a mountain bike? It is no secret that the possibility of adjustment and its degree depend on the type of bike and the model of two-wheeled vehicles. Modern mountain bikes allow extremely limited adjustments.
The higher the steering column is, the more difficult it is to control the bike on climbs, and the lower it is, the more problematic it is to ride on a flat track. In the latter case, the cyclist improves aerodynamics, but at the same time slightly impairs the view for himself.
How to raise the handlebars on a mountain bike?
To adjust the position of the steering column on your bike, you first have to disassemble it. Only such a solution allows you to change the position of this structural element.
As a rule, the steering system on modern mountain bikes is fixed in the side section with several bolts and one. in the central. The presence of the last mount allows you to eliminate backlash, while other holders fix the steering wheel at the required height.
To figure out how to raise the handlebars on a mountain bike, unscrewing the side elements will allow. After completing the operation, it remains to move it to the desired height. In this case, you should be guided by special marks, exceeding the level of which is prohibited by the manufacturer.
How to lower the steering wheel?
The task is quite simple to cope with. You just need to do the following:
- Loosen the center fixing bolt at the top of the steering column. It is not recommended to completely unscrew this element, since a special wedge-retainer may come off, which will lead to unforeseen consequences.
- The steering wheel is lowered to the desired level, is aligned with the front wheel.
- The center bolt is tightened. It should be fixed in such a way that the structure does not give backlash.
about Stels mountain bike
How to raise the handlebars on a Stels mountain bike? Domestic bikes Stels are of wide interest from consumers, as they are one of the best solutions in terms of price and quality. The question of how to raise the handlebars on a mountain bike of this brand often arises from buyers. Some cyclists feel that the challenge is impossible. However, there are still several possible solutions.
Mountain bikes of the popular Stels brand do not differ in a wide range of raising and lowering the steering column. Therefore, when choosing a bike of a specific model, it is better to immediately dwell on the optimal frame number, which most closely matches the parameters of the body when the seat is set to the optimal position. It is desirable that the position of the cyclist’s back is at an angle of approximately 40% in relation to the frame.
If you have difficulties with how to raise the handlebars on a mountain bike “Forward”, “Stealth”, “Merida” or models of other brands that are in demand on the domestic market, you should once again look into the bike’s passport. It is in the technical documentation that the optimal method for adjusting certain parameters of two-wheeled vehicles is indicated, and valuable advice on maintenance is given.
How to raise the steering wheel?
As noted above, not every bicycle allows you to adjust the height of the steering column within significant limits. Therefore, many two-wheeled vehicle owners are trying to lengthen this structural element in alternative ways, in particular. resort to the use of special devices.
What is a bicycle handlebar extension? Such a means is made in the form of a tube that is built into the fork rod of the bike and allows it to be lifted up. Since most modern steering systems are equipped with non-adjustable stems, they must be changed when installing an extension.
Handlebar adjustment is a solution that makes it possible to slightly increase the comfort of landing while riding. As you can see, this operation is quite simple. With a strong desire, you can bring the bike to mind without the help of specialists. In principle, the correct height, steering wheel tilt level, and other parameters should initially be selected according to personal comfort.
How to remove and raise a handlebar on a bicycle. Why remove and raise / lower the steering wheel?
Before we come to the question of how to raise and lower, remove and put back the handlebars on a bicycle, let’s decide why this is usually done? Let’s not be distracted by the not-so-frequent cases when the bicycle wheel has broken down and needs to be replaced. It is already obvious that in cases of repair, a broken bicycle handlebar will have to be removed and a new one replaced. In the overwhelming majority of cases, manipulations with the height of the bicycle handlebar are resorted to to regulate the height of the cyclist.
The zero or universal level of a bicycle handlebar is its height, which is equal to the height of the saddle. If the level of grip on the handlebars is higher than the level of the saddle, the handlebars on the bike are considered high. If the hand grip is below the saddle level, the handlebar is considered low. The interdependencies are as follows:
- the higher the handlebars, the straighter the cyclist’s seating position, the more relaxed the back and arms, and the more comfortable but slower cycling. This position is suitable for long and comfortable riding, but not suitable for high-speed.
- the lower the handlebar, the lower the position of the cyclist’s body, closer to horizontal, aerodynamically streamlined, the ergonomics of the muscle frame approaches the most effective, but the muscles of the back and arms are constantly tense in this position. This position of the cyclist is used for short-term high-speed riding, but not suitable for prolonged stay in the bike.
Types of mounting a bicycle handlebar
It turns out that the design of the bicycle handlebar mount is different, so the approach to adjusting it in height also differs on different types of bicycles.
Threaded mount, with the stem secured in the steering column using a wedge lock. This design is most often used on budget, but the most popular city bikes or road bikes. It is characterized by the simplicity and clarity of the approach to the issue of removing, installing, adjusting the bicycle wheel in height. But this design is heavy, and therefore it is not used on sports bicycles popular today.
Threadless mount, with the stem secured in the steering column by means of an expanding anchor, and additionally. with a stem clamp. This bicycle handlebar design is characterized by its structural simplicity and lightness. Most often used on modern sports bicycles. But in the issue of adjusting the steering wheel in height, it is characterized by ambiguity and multivariate approaches.
Removal, installation and height adjustment of the steering wheel with a threaded fastening
In order to remove or adjust such a bicycle wheel in height, you must:
- using a wrench of the appropriate size, loosen the fixing nut on the top of the steering tube;
- use a wrench of the appropriate size to loosen the expansion screw of the wedge-retainer (in the upper end of the structure), so that there is a play in the bicycle steering wheel attachment;
pull out the steering wheel assembly and remove it from the steering tube, or adjust it to the installation height (raise or lower), and then sequentially tighten the wedge-retainer screw and the fastening nut.
Removal, installation and height adjustment of a handlebar with a threadless mount
In this design, the removal / installation of a bicycle wheel and its height adjustment are often different concepts and operations.
With the removal and installation of such a bicycle handlebar, everything is more or less clear and monotonous, it must actually be disassembled into parts:
- loosen the armature screw (at the upper end of the steering tube) with a hex key;
- we also loosen the stem clamp screws with a hexagon or wrench;
- remove the stem with the steering bar assembly.
But the regulation of its height is not so unambiguous, and has options:
- After removing the steering wheel, by placing washers-spacers between the stem and the head tube. But the range of such adjustment is insignificant, limited to a few centimeters.
- By purchasing an adjustable stem. Everything is clear here. on such a stem, the adjustment is made by a built-in mechanism (there are different designs), easily and quickly, literally on the go or at a short stop.
- By adjusting the stem height. Conceptually, everything is simple. a new stem of the required height is bought, the old and new stem are swapped. But you won’t be able to do it quickly. maximum, just before each trip.
- By selecting the steering bar, according to the lifting height of the handles. The principle is the same as in the selection of the stem. I bought the right steering wheel, installed it, rode it, got tired. I replaced it with another one, with a different lifting height of the handles.
Thus, if you have a sports bike and you would like to be able to change its height adjustment quickly, right while riding, there is practically no alternative to an adjustable stem. Although, as an option, you can purchase and install a multi-position bicycle wheel. a ram, a butterfly and others. Multi-position handlebars allow you to get away from the problem of changing the position (position) of the cyclist during the trip even easier than the adjustable stem.