How to put fenders on a bike?
Cycling in bad wet weather requires waterproof clothing and, of course, reliable and quality fenders are essential. As we wrote earlier, in wet weather, having wings is much more important than having good clothes. After all, most of the dirt will fly at you from under the wheels of the bike.
In order to insulate yourself from this dirt, you need to install the fenders on the bike.
A rational question arises. how to install fenders on a bicycle? It is very easy to do this, but I was surprised to find that not only beginners get a little lost when they need to solve this problem. Even people with decent riding experience don’t always understand how to attach fenders to a modern bike.
Start by choosing the right mudguards for your bike. What are the “right” wings to choose and how to do it?
When choosing a bicycle mudguard, several factors must be taken into account: the weight of the mudguard, the reliability of the attachment to the bike, your riding style and the degree of protection. Full-size wings have maximum protection, but these wings are not at all suitable for riding in extreme and near-extreme styles.
Full size wings
For aggressive disciplines, quick release wings such as legendary crusher. These wings do not provide sufficient protection from dirt, but most of them will be able to weed out.
Crusher wings for extreme riding
There are also intermediate options bike quick-release fenders that are suitable for cross country riding and simple city riding.
Contrary to popular belief, quick release fenders can also provide good protection. If you want the best possible protection against removable fenders, you need to choose fenders from reputable manufacturers and be sized to match your wheel size. Also, remember. larger fenders can be used on smaller wheels, but on the contrary, it will not work out very well. Also, when choosing wings, you need to take into account their width. It must be sufficient so that the flow of dirt is completely absorbed by the shield.
Now about the weight of the wings and their reliability. The reliability of the fenders is determined by the quality of the attachment of the fender to the bike and the quality of the material from which the fender is made. There are more budget fenders on the market that are made of brittle and brittle plastic. This is not a reliable or even dangerous option. plastic materials such as wings are a good option. sks blade.
As always in the cycling world, the higher the reliability and the lower the weight, the higher the cost. The wings have completely different weights, which is why you need to carefully study this issue when choosing.
The mudguards are fitted to a modern bicycle in a variety of ways. The most common methods today are:
- The classic mount is an old and proven way to mount a wing. Used primarily for fitting full size fenders. The point is that the bike frame and fork already have points for attaching the fender. either threaded holes or eyelets. It should be noted that this is the most reliable and convenient mounting method. But on sport bikes, both for XC and for more rigid disciplines, such attachment points are almost never there, or they are partially there. Sometimes found on not the most expensive hardtails for tourism or cross country. Actually, the wing is usually fixed at the center point, and the edge is clamped with a steel arch or steel spokes. A wing fixed in this way will be very well fixed, will not loosen and can take minor mechanical loads. Installing such wings will be very simple. usually everything is included, and you only need a screwdriver.
- The quick release mount is a more modern but less reliable way of attaching the wing. Differs in its simplicity. When installing the wing in this way, you must very carefully and carefully follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for installing the wings. The fact is that quick mounts are already not reliable, and violation of the installation advice will turn the wing into a piece of plastic, which, if unsuccessful, will get stuck in the spokes. The most popular options for this mount today are attachment to the seatpost with a strap and tightening, attachment with a spacer in the fork tube, attachment by the legs of the fork, attachment to the seat tube with an additional spacer on the rear fork and attachment to the gorilla forks (on cheap models, there is a threaded hole). Mount on the legs of the forks
Despite its simplicity, when properly installed, it is quite reliable. However, you need to carefully monitor the condition of the wing and attachment during operation. Otherwise, everything may end in the fall or loss of not the cheapest wing. For example, a very fashionable front fender mount is a rubber stopper that fits into the fork stem and expands as it is squeezed. The cork, although not particularly slippery, can slip out during prolonged use. Therefore, it is necessary to check this attachment before every ride. Installing such wings is also not particularly difficult, but much more difficult than the wings from point 1. The difficulty usually lies in the fact that manufacturers come up with very clever options for quick clamps. Complete with the wings, there is always a good instruction with a diagram that will allow you to navigate. I repeat once again. be sure to follow the instructions.
In the absence of a mount, there are several tricks that will allow you to install fenders on almost any bike. The first trick is to use an anchor to attach the wing to the fork stem instead of a rubber plug. This mounting option is much more reliable than a cork. The anchor will hold the much heavier wing. Installing the anchor is very simple. remove the front wheel, turn the bike over and drive a regular anchor into the fork tube. over, I recommend using this option whenever you encounter a rubber stopper or other fastening in the fork stem. There is one problem here. sometimes the yoke stem at the bottom differs from the inner diameter of the yoke stem at the top. In this case, the anchor will not save and you will have to use the standard version.
The second technique is to attach the wing with metal clamps. Such a clamp allows you to fix both the center point of the wing (for example, on a gorilla forks) and the arcs of the mounts. Using metal clamps, you need to think about the safety of the bike or fork cover.
A compressible clamp will damage the coating, which is why you need to provide some kind of spacers or protective stickers.
Using these tips you can fit fenders on almost any bike.
Now let’s summarize a little and as a conclusion, we note the general important rules that will allow you to achieve a good result when installing the wings.
- Always keep in mind the reliability of the design. The wing should never fall off while driving! The best case is the loss of a wing.
- The wing should not interfere with movement, steering and cling to the legs when cornering. Also, the wing should not interfere with the suspension. It is enough to carefully examine the position of the wing.
- The wing should be placed as close to the wheel as possible, but do not forget point 1.
- The wing should be no narrower than the tire.
Follow these rules, and you can easily install fenders on any bike, and riding in the nastiest weather will only bring joy.!
How to choose a spare part?
Many people wonder how to choose the right bike cock. The answer is pretty simple. it must be compatible with the bike frame. It happens that the search for a new part stretches even for years, so experts strongly recommend not to throw away a broken cock.
What is a Bicycle Cockerel?
Today, few people know where the bike rooster is located. Usually people find out about the cock after the rear derailleur falls off as a result of a violent fall while driving. Interestingly, this is not an accident. it was originally intended.
It has been noted that it is common for the rear derailleur bracket to break when dropped. Initially, the bicycle frame was made of steel, then the cock was one with the frame, because steel is quite easy to repair and is not prone to deformation. But when the bicycle frame began to be made from aluminum, it was noted that this material is fragile, and the repair process takes quite a long time.
How To Install A Bicycle Computer
To protect the frame from frequent repairs, it was decided to make a removable carabiner. He was called a rooster for a bicycle.
So, a bicycle cock is a removable type of plastic and a small size, which is used to fix the position of the rear derailleur. This holder will prevent damage to the frame itself. Since during a fall it is the rear derailleur that most often catches on various vegetation, as a result, it simply breaks out. It can be replaced quite easily and quickly, and the frame will remain intact.
Bicycle rooster: what is it and how to choose it?
A rooster for a bicycle is not familiar to everyone, but it plays a rather important role. For some, this term even causes laughter. It is worth considering in more detail what a bicycle rooster is, what it is for, its structure and materials, where it is located, as well as how to choose this spare part.
Material and device
The bike cock device looks pretty simple. It comes in the form of a conventional coupling type bracket that is fixed to the bike frame using one or two bolts. The shape of this detail resembles a cock’s comb. There are such types of bicycle roosters as integrated and removable.
Usually they are made of titanium or steel, but carbon and aluminum are less common, since the former are practically invulnerable to external damage. But even if they were deformed during the impact after the fall, they can be easily corrected. If we talk about cockerels made of carbon or aluminum, then they cannot be repaired. Although they are tough and durable materials, they can burst on impact. If the aluminum can still somehow be adjusted, although it is quite expensive, then carbon cannot be repaired at all.
Therefore, it is better to purchase a removable type of cockerel so that replacement is carried out quickly and inexpensively.
It should be noted that today this part is made of two types of materials.
- Silumin is a combination of aluminum and silicon. They are cast, they are inexpensive, but they are not durable either. They are mainly made in China. They are not suitable for high-speed travel. As a result of constant loads, microcracks are formed on the brackets, which further leads to breakage of the part. Silumin is ideal for a relaxing bike ride.
- Duralumin is a high strength alloy that contains additives of various non-ferrous metals. For their manufacture, the milling method is used. Such males are more expensive, but they are characterized by strength and reliability. Such options are offered by the META brand from Russia and the PILO company from Israel.
How to replace?
Replacing the bike hinge is pretty straightforward. Brackets are quick to install. This process looks like this:
- unscrew and remove the rear wheel;
- using a special hex wrench, it is necessary to remove the speed switch from the cock;
- unscrew the fixing screws from the cock and remove it;
- install a new part;
- put the speed switch in place;
- reinstall the rear wheel.
What is it for?
It should be understood that a one-piece frame and cock structure is impractical as it will break quite often. Aluminum, which is often used today for the manufacture of frames, cannot be welded. To restore it, you will need to connect special technologies. But even if it turns out to make repairs, there are still weak points that are formed at the junction. As a result, the use of such a frame becomes rather limited after the repair.
You should look at the issue of maintainability from the point of view of feasibility and cost-effectiveness. It happens that the repair of a frame costs no less than a new one, and one of the latest models.
Usually, after damage to the bike frame, it is advised to completely replace it, and get rid of the damaged one. It is customary to restore only some of the frames that are rare and valuable. Due to the presence of a rooster, there is no need to replace the entire frame, it is enough to purchase a new rooster, and just throw out the old one.
Experts advise you to pay attention to the following recommendations regarding a bicycle rooster:
- usually the cock breaks when the bike falls to the right side, while not on the move, so you should definitely check the reliability of the transport fixation while parking;
- if you need to make an urgent stop and leave the bike, but there is no way to give it an upright position, you should put it down, but only on the left side;
- it is worth being very careful while driving on dangerous and uneven sections of the road, because unevenness on the right side can lead to a breakdown of the cock. in this case, it is recommended to pedal to a minimum;
- it is recommended to pay attention to the chain, since it should be located on the largest sprocket, while not slipping;
- on the road, you should be very careful, you should avoid collisions with other cyclists, especially if they are riding from behind. when hitting the cock may break.
About what a bicycle rooster is, see below.
How to install fenders on a bike
You can install quick-release fenders on a two-wheeled vehicle yourself. This is done literally in two movements. the wing is simply set in place and fastened with a clip (with one click). As for the stationary wings, then here you will need to prepare for a somewhat complex process.
Note: experts say that stationary fenders on a bicycle should be put in pairs. If you plan to install a rear rack in the future, then the wing is installed first. If there is a trunk, before working with the wings, it must be removed.
What you need to prepare to work on installing the fenders on your bike:
And then everything is simple and clear. the wings are attached to the frame and fork, the bolts and nuts are tightened as tightly as possible. After installing the wings, experts do not recommend immediately tightening the fasteners. first check that the part is installed correctly.
For work you need a screwdriver and a wrench. A two-piece front fender connects to a metal plate. The long side is worn from the bottom, the short side from the top. A screw with a washer is passed through the iron panel, a spacer is put on it and inserted under the crown of the fork. The mount is tightened with a screwdriver.
At the back, the wings on a mountain bike are mounted with a clamp. It is connected to the fastening part, then the entire structure is tightened with screws. A threaded rod is placed in the extension retainer, it is connected to the base screw, tightened tightly.
The clamp is put on the pin, which is under the saddle, and pressed down with force. Then the screws are tightened in turn, gradually tightening them. Further, the height and angle of protection are regulated. Here are all the secrets of how to attach the mudguard to bicycles; nothing complicated here.
Installing fenders on a bicycle is not an easy task, requiring certain knowledge and skills. The mounting method depends on the brand of the bike and its purpose. The wing type also plays a role. Front and back fixing methods may differ.
Attach to the fork (in front, under the reflector bolt) and to the feathers (in the back, in four places, using bolts and clamps)
All varieties of a walking bike
The front must be secured to the lower part of the frame. Behind. on the tube under the saddle. Bolts are used for fixing
Professional sports modifications of the Stels, Cube Touring models
In the front part, they are placed in the fork rod with a spacer. To put the rear fenders, they fasten them with a belt to the seatpost.
Quick release fenders can be fitted with mud guards. Full-size products do not need improvement in protective properties. For the safety of the fork, you can use special anthers made of neoprene.
How To Replace And Install A Rear Bicycle Derailleur
When choosing fenders, preference should be given to models that come with detailed installation instructions. Additional graphical scheme is desirable. Chinese products in most cases go on sale without accompanying texts, so installation may be difficult.
Quick Release Full Size Road Guard
Bicycles that cannot be fitted with fenders
There are very few such models. Basically, these are just track bikes, frames of the last century with a very abstruse design, as well as narrow-focus and special-purpose bikes. It also happens that you can install fenders on a bicycle, but it is not recommended to do so. For example, in such cases:
- Your bike has a rear shock. For this, the maximum carriage shield will fit.
- Your bike belongs to some kind of sports discipline where you don’t need a bogie. This is usually BMX, trial, highway, street.
- There is no attachment point or it is occupied by something else.
In all other cases, you can install bogs.
Installation nuances, taking into account the type of bike
How you fit the fenders to your bike depends on the type of bike. Before starting work, you should prepare all tools and consumables. In most cases, installation will not take much time and effort.
Sports fenders are usually made of plastic and have a maximum of two attachment points. Mounting the mudguards on a bike can be done at home and even in the field. The types of rear bog attachment can be as follows:
- Seatpost clamp. It can be produced both with a plastic adapter and with a cloth tape, which is more versatile, but may begin to slide out over time. An incorrectly fixed and adjusted fender will constantly fall onto the wheel. Installation requires hex socket / screwdriver.
- The saddle clamp is not very popular, but it is a cheap type of attachment that is less and less common. Has a regular bracket with two eccentric ears. Clamped by it, no additional tools are required.
Made of metal, sometimes combined with plastic, they are heavy. They cover about a quarter of the wheels and protect well from dirt in the off-season. They have a significant drawback: such wings quickly become clogged with debris, therefore, they are unsuitable for use in a forest or park, while driving on a bad rural road or rough terrain.