Preparing the camera
To find the puncture site and make repairs, you need to remove the wheel from the bike.
You will need to disassemble the bicycle wheel, seal the hole and put everything back.
On mountain and sports bikes, the wheel is latched and removed in half a minute. Simple road bikes will require a wrench.
Using a repair kit
Beginners BIKE often ask themselves the question: how to seal the bicycle camera using a repair kit. Detailed instructions are written on the packaging, but the sequence of the process can be confused.
Carefully study the instructions that come with such a kit.
The kit includes: 5-6 rubber pads for all types of damage, special Quick-drying glue, a piece of sandpaper for cleaning the joints, a bottle of acetone for surface degreasing and plastic assemblies. There are kits which are sold with self-adhesive patches with adhesive applied. It is enough to remove the protective film from the cover and apply it to the cleaned surface of the camera. Removing such a patch is quite problematic from rubber, so when applying it you need to be careful and precise. The patch will serve as a replacement for the camera, they can be applied countless times.
The adhesive composition is enough for the number of patches that are attached.
- You can find the puncture site by ear. To do this, you need to pump up the camera a little and listen to where the air comes out. Place a mark with electrical tape or chalk where you need a patch.
- It is easier to locate the hole with a bowl of water. The pumped-up camera is lowered into the water and we fix the place of air outlet, you can insert a match into the hole. But before you seal the puncture site, the camera must be dried.
- The hole can be found with a soapy solution, which dries the camera faster and keeps the patch clean. Add 3-4 drops of dish detergent to a glass of water, whip up the lather and apply it with a sponge to the camera surface. The puncture site will bubble.
Before starting repair work, pay attention to the condition of the rubber. Severe abrasions and many small cracks signal that it is time to change the camera, and not glue it.
Carefully removing the nipple from the rim and taking out the camera.
To glue tires on their own, several compounds are sold, moisture resistant and designed for difficult working conditions. for heavy loads.
It is not really a glue, but a cold vulcanization agent, which is much more effective.
Types of adhesives for repairing a bicycle camera:
- Moment. Suitable for universal, “crystal”, “extra” and rubber. These compounds are used for all rubber compounds. Complete drying of the patch takes 24 hours. For quick repairs, pay attention to the “superglue” from this series. It is sold in small tubes, which you can always have with you and use when needed.
- Tip Top SC. Consists of two components. It is used at a temperature of 10-25 degrees. Demanding for cleaning and degreasing glued surfaces. To obtain glue, mix 10 grams of base and a drop of hardener, smear the joints and press them together. The camera will be ready for travel in 10 minutes.
Quite a rare two-component adhesive, but one of the most tenacious.
If it is impossible to properly repair the wheel in the field. PVC tape or stationery tape will help you get home. The method is very unreliable, but it will help to drive several kilometers.
As a temporary measure. quite yourself, in other cases it is better to take a specialized glue for rubber.
It is necessary to disassemble the wheel and find the puncture site. In case of minor damage, carefully wrap the chamber on the puncture floor by 2-3 layers. Insert the tube into the tires with extreme care, and do not break the “wrapper”.
This method can help you get to the house, where it will already be possible to seal the camera properly.
How to remove it correctly
When disassembling, you need to remove the cap, Unscrew the spool and deflate the bicycle wheel, so it’s easier to get the camera. With a plastic mounting we hook the rim in several places, 2-3 points are enough to pull out the bike cameras. Instead of a mounting, you can insert a screwdriver or an ordinary spoon to bend the tires from the rim. Gently pull the camera out of the tire, and you can start looking for the place of damage.
For an experienced cyclist, this procedure takes about 15 minutes, a beginner will need about half an hour.
How to glue with your own hands
Beginner cycling enthusiasts know little about how to remove the wheel, disassemble and which side to glue the patch on the bicycle camera. Have to learn how to deal with it yourself.
To begin with, we just try to find the place of damage by carefully examining the surface of the camera.
The better to glue the camera
When riding a bike, you should always have the necessary wheel removal wrench set and a repair kit with you. It will help at home and in the field when repairing a puncture. Driving on a flat tire may compromise the integrity of the tire and deform the rim. This will result in a wheel change, which is an expensive purchase.
First of all, you need glue, which, after drying, retains elasticity, i.e. does not harden.
The required set is very limited, which allows for repairs in almost any conditions.
Sealing the camera on the bike
Lovers of fresh air switch to a bicycle for a pleasant pastime or to get to work, which is economical and useful. A road accident can happen any time the wheel is deflated. For beginners, the question may arise: how to glue the bicycle camera at home so as not to contact the service.
If you have a bicycle, then sooner or later you will encounter a situation such as a punctured camera.
- Preparing the camera
- How to remove it correctly
- Finding damage
- The better to glue the camera
- Using a repair kit
- Special glue
Bonding a patch
- Match the patch to the size of the puncture. It should be more than two centimeters in diameter larger than the hole. You can cut the patch yourself from the old tire.
- Sand the puncture site and patch with sandpaper. This will improve the adhesion of surfaces.
- Wipe the bonding area with a degreaser. It can be gasoline, acetone or any solvent.
- Remove the protection from the purchased patch and press firmly to the puncture site. The adhesive composition will dry in 5-10 minutes.
- If the patch is cut by yourself. Spread the glue with a thin layer of the camera and the patch, after 1-2 minutes attach it to the bonding site.
Adhesives are best applied in two stages. Apply a thin layer to the camera and patch and dry for 5-15 minutes depending on the air temperature. Then apply a second coat and dry again for 5-15 minutes. Apply a patch to the puncture site and press down hard. Responsible adhesive joints are punched with a hammer through the gasket. The composition dries from 5 minutes to several hours, depending on the adhesive base.
While the glue is drying, inspect the inside and outside of the tires, you may find a piece of glass, a nail or something that caused damage to the camera.
Once dry, you can gently slide the camera back into place. We pump up the wheel a little so that there are no creases, and the camera stands straight. We remove the assemblies and completely inflate the wheel. You can go.
This tape is placed between the tube and the tire for additional protection.
You need to purchase protection by footage, equal to the circumference and width of the wheel. To install, you need to disassemble the wheels and lay the tape between the tube and the tire.
Anti-puncture tape is a strip of soft, rubberized plastic or, in more expensive products. kevlar.
Gluing the patch is easy, but you should avoid hitting sharp objects. With each puncture, the strength and reliability of the wheels decreases, which can be unsafe at high speeds on highways and with increased loads on mountain trails.
If you have your own secrets on how to glue a bicycle camera at home. share them in the comments.
How to remove a bicycle wheel?
First you need to remove the wheel from the bike. there is nothing difficult about it. For convenience, you should turn the bike upside down, but you need to remember one nuance: if the transport has hydraulic brakes, then you cannot keep the bike upside down for too long, since there is a possibility of air entering the hydraulic system. And one more thing. before turning the bike upside down, take care of what will be under the transport. without a rag / wooden cloth, there is a possibility of damage to the steering wheel and “chips” on it (this applies to speed / mountain bikes).
After removing the wheel directly from the bike, you will need to release the camera. This is done in the following sequence:
- Unscrew the nipple and slightly deflate the wheel.
- We take a plastic assembly, we cling to the edge of the tire and output to the rim.
- We take the second assembly and do the same as described above.
- Now we begin to gently push the assemblies along the rim. this is done alternately.
Note: Many cyclists use ordinary spoons to remove the tire with the camera, but experts recommend purchasing plastic mounting bars. Firstly, their use in the process under consideration minimizes the risk of damage to the camera, and secondly, such special assemblies are useful for correcting the “eight” wheel.
So, we got the camera. The next step is to search for the place of damage (it is for this that it is not recommended to completely lower the wheel immediately) Some breakthroughs of the camera are visible to the naked eye, some can only be detected by lowering the camera into a vessel with water (basin, bath). bubbles will appear in the place of damage to the camera.
After the place of damage to the bicycle camera is found, you need to mark it (this can be done with chalk or tape) and completely lower the camera.
How to glue a bicycle wheel tube
In order to quickly glue the bicycle wheel tube, you need to purchase a special repair kit. it includes several patches, rubber glue and instructions. With this set, the camera can be repaired both at home and in the field.
How to patch a bike camera
In principle, working with repair patches for a bicycle camera is fully described in the instructions that are attached to a special kit. There is nothing complicated about this, you just need to follow the Step by step instructions:
- Cleaning the puncture site of the bicycle wheel chamber from grease, dirt and dust. acetone will be optimal for this;
- Apply glue to the patch;
- We attach bookmarks to the place where the camera breaks and hold it with our fingers for a few seconds
- Let the glue dry completely (it will take only a few minutes).
Now you need to check the quality of the work done. To do this, you need to pump up the camera and lower it into a vessel with water. the absence of bubbles will indicate that the repair of the bicycle camera was carried out absolutely correctly.
Only after this check can the wheel be assembled and installed on the bike. But consider a few fundamental points:
- Before filling the tube into the tires, carefully examine the inner surface of the latter. it is quite possible that the cause of the tube puncture will also be found (for example, a nail or a glass fragment stuck in the tires)
- It is necessary to fill the tube under the tire on the rim very carefully. many people use plastic mounting or ordinary spoons for this, but you need to Be careful not to damage the tube;
- When installing a wheel on a bicycle, you must strictly observe the direction of travel;
- After finally installing the wheel in place, you need to pump it up a little with a hand pump to the desired hardness.
Anti-puncture tape. the advisability of its installation
In order for the anti-puncture tape to fully fulfill the declared functions, you need to be able to choose it. the main thing is to choose the right width of the tape. If you make a mistake in this choice, then the following can happen:
- If the belt is wider than the tube of the bicycle wheel, then this will lead to rapid abrasion of thin rubber due to constant friction against the wheel rim;
- If the tape is narrower than the chamber, then a puncture can occur in a place that is not covered by the device in question.
In addition to the fact that you need to be able to choose an anti-puncture tape, you need to be able to install it. it is unlikely that you will want to contact service centers with such a “trifle”. And this work is not difficult, and does not require any specific knowledge. it is only important to adhere to the recommendations of specialists.
Installing an anti-puncture tape with your own hands:
- Check the purchased anti-puncture tape. it must be of the required width. This can only be done by applying the tape to the camera.
- We disassemble both wheels. In order to remove the camera, it is not at all necessary to completely remove the tires from the rim. you can partially leave it in place.
- Before applying the anti-puncture tape to the camera, it is necessary to round its edges with scissors.
- Now we lay the anti-puncture tape along the inner side of the tire, carefully press it against the rubber with your fingers.
This completes the work on ensuring the protection of the bicycle tube from punctures.
You can easily and quickly glue the bike camera with your own hands and at home. By and large, you don’t even need to have any specific tool available for this.
Tools for work
- Spoke wrench;
- Tire blades;
- Flat screwdriver;
- You may need a retaining ring puller or a short piece of chain with a handle to remove the sprocket block, depending on where the spoke is broken;
- Spare spoke.
How to change the spokes on a bicycle?
Has the spoke broken? Our guide will make it very easy to replace it. The bike shakes and breaks on paths and uneven roads and the most common problem is a loose or broken spoke.
And if it is enough just to tighten the loose knitting needles, then the bent or broken one must be urgently changed.
Fortunately, changing a spoke is as easy as it is cheap, and with the help of a guide, you’ll be back on the road in no time.
How to replace spokes on a bicycle. How to replace spokes?
1. A broken spoke is unlikely to jump out of the wheel, so you need to fix it or remove it to get home. You can screw it onto an adjacent spoke or tape it to it, and if you have a tool at hand, just bite off. If a spoke on the rear driving wheel breaks, then in most cases you will have to remove the sprocket block to get to the hub lugs.
You will probably have to remove the brake disc and for this you need special torx wrenches (sprockets), instead of the usual hexagons. Be careful when removing THESE bolts and when reinstalling them, be sure to use Threadlock or anti-tack compound to prevent bolts from getting stuck.
2. Bleed the air from the tire and remove the tube if not using a tubeless tire. Lift the rim strap and remove the connecting nut and spokes from the wheel. Remove the remaining spoke from the corresponding lug on the hub. 3. Now you need to insert a new spoke. When “three-cross” spoke wheel you need to hold the spoke floor of the first two and below the third nearest spoke. Alternatively, the wheels can be “double-cross” or “straight” spokes configuration, so set spokes to the pattern of adjacent spokes. 4. Now you need to install the union nut. To facilitate this task, insert the spoke into the hole in the rim and tighten the nut. Pull the spokes and hold the nut with a screwdriver until the spokes are fully tensioned. 5. Turn the nut with the spoke wrench until the spoke is fully tensioned. Remember to rotate counterclockwise when viewed from the rim side After installing a new spoke, it is a good idea to send the wheel to the adjusting machine, as broken spokes are often caused by incorrect adjustments. If you do not want to carry out the adjustment process completely, you can get a rough idea of the correct tension by squeezing the adjacent pairs of knitting needles with your fingers.
Bicycle spokes: installation
When using the crosses method, it is useful to distinguish two types of knitting needles in the direction of their installation: leading and tail. The leading ones are placed in the direction of rotation, and the tail ones against. Starting the assembly, insert the spokes from the outside into the holes of the right flange of the hub through one. And they should come out from the side of the countersink. They will become tail.
Then on the rim we find the exit slot for the nipple of the camera. Select the hole that runs along the right side of the rim and anchor the first spoke there. When screwing on the nipple Do not forget to use lubricant, this will subsequently facilitate broaching and adjustment. Initially, everything is profitable for a couple of turns.
Then we move on to setting the tail of the left side. Turning the wheel over and start again from the camera output. Only now we put the spokes in the hole on the left side of the rim and on the other side of the lead-out. It will be located next to the first one with a slight shift. Proceed in the same way with the rest of the tail ends of the left side. Do not forget that they are also inserted into the flange from the outside.
Now we come to the installation of the leading spokes:
- They will be inserted from the inside of the flange.
- Each Leader will cross with three tails of its side.
- It crosses the first two from the outside, and under the last one it starts from the inside.
- The order in which the leaders are installed is not important, the Peresechen rules are followed.
The second stage will end when we get a fully assembled wheel, and the nipples on the spokes are just baited.
How to assemble a spoked wheel?
Cycling comfort depends on many factors. And sensibly assembled wheels play an important role in this. After all, a well-made assembly of the rim with a central hub ensures the ideal wheel shape. A true cyclist should always be ready to perform this simple, but patient and careful operation.
Where does the assembly begin
On the side of a bicycle wheel, start by selecting all the components and tools. The difference between the front and rear wheels must be taken into account. If the front is symmetrical, then with the back everything is much more complicated.
The sprocket drive forces you to take into account the possible nuances of the central hub. The main difficulty at this stage is to determine the length of the spokes, taking into account the specified features of the front and rear wheels. As a result of the first stage, we must select: a rim, an axial sleeve, spokes with a nipple of a suitable length, and from the tool. a spoke wrench and a screwdriver.
Types of spokes placement in the wheel
In practice, two types of spoke arrangement are used. one radial, the other cross. Radial gives a small benefit in terms of aesthetics, but lags far behind in terms of mechanics. This method can only be used for front wheels with rim brakes. It is not suitable at all for the transmission of torque between the hub and the periphery of the wheel.
The cross method of wheel assembly is recognized as the most functional in the entire history of equipment operation. It transmits in an optimal way the mechanical loads that arise during the movement.
The choice of the spoke placement has a strong influence on the wheel assembly process, especially at the initial stage. After all, the selection of a spoke for a bicycle, installation and adjustment depends on this.
Tension and Shape Adjustment
This stage requires a responsible approach, and not like rush. It starts by tightening the nipple by an equal number of revolutions. It is better to go around the rim several times, increasing the tightening one turn. Leading spokes can be adjusted slightly at the last intersection for ease of adjustment.
All these deviations are removed by weakening some and tightening the second spokes in accordance with the necessary geometry correction.
At the end of all adjustments, check that the tip of the spoke does not protrude from the nipple. If necessary, we work with a file.