How can you store a bike in an apartment?
- In a common area (on the staircase, in the corridor of the apartment section)
- On a loggia or balcony;
- Into the pantry.
All THESE methods have their drawbacks. Bicycles can be smashed or stolen on the landing. It may be too damp on the balcony or loggia, and during the period of use, the bike often carries it through the living quarters not very conveniently. Finally, in the closet, most often the space is already taken, and the bike often has to be placed vertically, while there is often a threat of falling on it of any objects.
How to hang your bike on the wall: storage tips
Russia is a snowy country. More than half of the year there is snow in the Asian part of the country. There are fans of winter walks on rubber with spikes, but they are an absolute minority. The rest have to think about where and how to organize bicycle storage in the winter season. It can be an insulated loggia or a major garage, and significant difficulties arise in a city apartment with a bike. Even disassembling it does NOT solve the problem, since the biggest part is the frame. Perhaps the best solution to the problem is to hang the bike on the wall itself.
In the article, we will consider ways to store a bike in an apartment, with a belt, why a wall mount is one of the best, we will tell you how to hang a bike, and how to make a shelf for this with your own hands.
What are the advantages of fixing on the wall?
- Physiological horizontal position, that is, the bicycle is located in the same way as when traveling, only it is raised above the floor plane. Getting off the wall is NOT difficult. There is an option of mounting on the wall vertically, when the wheels are located equally above the other. This mount offers slightly more effort to secure and release the bike, and is more suitable for sporty lightweight monotube.
- The rubber of the tires does not touch the floor. Thanks to this, deformation and fatigue of rubber does not occur, and microcracks do not form, the need to periodically turn the wheel disappears, which does NOT want to “come off” from the linoleum.
- Placing it on the wall, all other things being equal, with a ceiling mount is safer, since even if the bike is located above a person’s head, it will fall along the plane of the wall, and chairs and stools are rarely placed in the place under the bike.
The figure shows the savings in floor space: just look at the space occupied by a standing bike.
What accessories can be used to fix the bike to the wall? The following devices are most common.
Hooks of various modifications. Hooks are the most common fixtures for fixing on the wall. The advantage of the design is the fact that the hooks are not connected to each other, and if the bike accidentally “jumps off” from one point of support, it will remain on the other.
They can be either isolated or combined into a structure, sometimes similar to a shelf. This makes it possible to put some things on it.
If the hooks are connected into a single structure using stiffening ribs, a wide flange is formed. The disadvantage is that you cannot place the bike against a wall if you remove the front wheel and turn the handlebars 90 degrees. Also, the design of the shelf clearly indicates its separate “inferiority” without a bicycle. She seems to be waiting for the bike to take its place on the outstretched hooks.
Hooks for vertical fastening of a bicycle are sometimes distinguished by a peculiar grace and asceticism. An example of how to hang your bike beautifully is the DaVinci split system. A hook is fixed at the top to fix the front wheel, and at the bottom. a thrust bearing for the rear wheel, so as not to bundle the wall.
The next option for placing bicycles is vertical racks, like handrails in public transport, but since they are most often attached to the floor and ceiling, and not to the wall, we will only mention them in passing in this review.
It remains to mention, perhaps, the most functionally advantageous opportunity to hang the bike on the wall. using a shelf.
Above we mentioned such a possibility, but here we will talk about a completely “ordinary” shelf, in which the ability to hang a bike is a pleasant “Option”, and the absence of a bike on the shelf does NOT interfere with its use; Moreover, the absence of a bicycle is completely imperceptible, and if the owner, in the presence of guests, hoists the bike on it, then this can cause just amazement and admiration of the guests by the owner’s technical genius.
Examples of such shelves are shown below:
The variant shown in Fig. 1 is more “ergonomic”, as it requires less effort when setting the bike and pulling out, since the frame can slide along the rails.
These designs are so primitive that they do NOT require any drawings to be attached to hang the bike on the wall using shelves. In the shelf shown in Figure 1, the only “difficulty” is the selection of a curvilinear figure at the end, which is easy to do even without a machine and mill, just with a hand jigsaw.
In the shelf in fig. 2, you can do with an ordinary hacksaw. Then holes for confirmation are drilled, countersinked, and the structure is assembled “flush”. To the rear wall at the end, the places are drilled where the nail heads will enter. the dowels fixed in the wall, and secret loops are attached.For the reliability of the connections, you can additionally coat the perimeter with PVA glue.
Tips for securing hooks, shelves
As a rule, the hooks are fixed with dowels, the hooks themselves act as a screw. The main thing when buying is to find out the installation method, whether there are dowels in the kit. If not, then you need to purchase them of the appropriate size, that is, 1-1.5 mm narrower than the screw. You also need to consider the wall material before you drill. For a more reliable fixing of the supporting structures in the wall, drilling must be done by lifting the drill slightly up and deviating from the perpendicular by 5-10 degrees. Only then there will be no component of the force “turning” out of the wall.
As a result, I would like to remind you of why. it is not mentioned in such articles, namely, in additional functions and opening opportunities in the case of choosing a shelf for horizontal suspension of the bike to the wall.
The competent cyclist will immediately realize that together with the storage he gets an ideal place for washing. Since childhood, all of us have gone through a situation when a bicycle standing on its wheels falls during the process of washing, for which we put it on the bottom. Therefore, you immediately need to choose the height of the attachment so that you can put the stool and, without haste, wash the iron horse when it is securely fixed.
In the event that the bike is mounted vertically, washing is difficult due to the natural flow of liquid down, and the need to start it in the ceiling. In the case of horizontal mounting, the upper, Least dirty parts are washed first, and then the lower, which is very convenient.
The second, in our opinion, more important circumstance: the suspended wheels with the correct position of the bike (as when riding) provide an invaluable opportunity to adjust the brakes and gear shifters.
Buy and install mounting elements
Find a beam or frame post if you plan to hang your bike from the ceiling. To do this, it is necessary to use a discontinuity detector. If the ceiling is already finished, look for a row of nails along the sheathing or joints.
Take measurements to decide where to attach the metal elements. If you have an assistant, have him or her keep the bike at the level where you are going to hang the bike. You will only have to put the marks. Pre-drill the holes for the mounting screws. Make sure the holes are in the middle of the frame beam or stud. Use larger screws (# 10) to mount the hook to the ceiling than to mount to the wall. Attach the selected hanger items and test them. Hang and remove the bike several times to ensure reliability and intended placement.
Note: This step is especially important for children, you must be sure that the child can remove and trailers the bike.
How to hang a bike on the wall?
- Hang the bike
- Buy and install mounting elements
- Alternative way
- Suspend the bike using the bike handlebar
- Hang the bike;
- Buy and install fasteners;
- Alternative method,
- Suspend the bike using the handlebar.
Mount the bike on the wall. A convenient way to free up space and order in the garage or on the balcony, this method will help Place several bicycles at once, thereby protecting them from damage.
Hang the bike
Decide how high the bike will be.
On the floor or in the space above the floor: The easiest way to hang and remove the bike, but it does not save space compared to others. If you make an effort when lifting the bike, then the height is optimal for you. Between the floor and the ceiling: a bike suspended high on the wall will free up space and allow it to pass under it, we do not move it from place to place, despite the fact that you still have to bend over. With NO special effort, you can remove the bike. Hanging from a ceiling or curtain rod: this option is beneficial in terms of space saving, but it will take more effort to hang or remove the bike. If the ceiling is high enough, you can freely pass under it. You need to be tall enough to remove or hang the bike, otherwise inconvenience will arise.
Decide how the bike will be positioned on the wall. Find a suitable place for your bike and see where you stand while hanging and removing the bike.
The frame is parallel to the wall: this method will allow you to place the bike parallel to the wall. The method is suitable for placing one or two bicycles. Bicycle Wheels Must point down. Frame perpendicular to wall: method Takes up a smaller portion of the wall, but more room, and also requires more clearance between the wall and the bike. If you want to hang your bike in a corner, next to a battery or refrigerator, this is the best option and also the most efficient way to hang multiple bikes.
Note: If you are hanging your bike perpendicular to a wall, the wheels must be facing the wall and the frame must be vertical. This will allow the bike to roll up the wall and the front wheel hooks up by turning the handlebars, if the hook is positioned correctly Ceiling: If you are hanging the bike from the ceiling, the wheels must point upwards, otherwise it will be difficult to remove or hook the bike.
If the wall is gypsum or plasterboard: Use a bump detector to determine where to hang the bike If the wall is wooden: you can screw in the hook If the wall is stone or brick: you need a drill and drill of the correct diameter.
Suspend the bike using the bike handlebar
2. Attach the specially designed mounts to the handlebars and turn them upside down. The stem can be used as an attachment, which will hold the steering wheel with handles. Old style stems are found on older bicycles and can often be found with a handlebar. They fit into the handlebar hole in the frame and resemble an “L” tube, with a handlebar clip.
3. Buy or find a threaded steel tube and wall flange that fits the stem. This tube must match the stem diameter so that you can push the tube into the mounting hole without much effort, the flange itself is attached to the wall.
4. Screw steel pipe into the flange. One side should hold the stem securely, screw the other side into the flange and tighten tight. You may need to adjust the stem to keep the handlebars hanging straight.
5. Attach the flange to the wall. Find a timber frame post. Use a screwdriver to attach a flange that already has a handlebar and stem.
The weight of the mount itself, in addition to the weight of your bike, also puts pressure on the wall material. The best option here would be the hook type. Such structures are the lightest (from 500 grams or more) and exert the least pressure on the wall. Metal mounts such as a bracket with rubberized handles are perhaps the most difficult mount option, as they can weigh up to 5-8 kg.
Racks are a universal option for mounting a bicycle in terms of weight. They evenly distribute their weight, as well as the weight of the bike between the wall and the floor, so that the wall mount is subjected to half the pressure.
And also shelves are a good mounting option. They are made of wood and most often DO NOT weigh more than 2-3 kg.
This method of fastening a bicycle is considered the most common, but not the most practical. In this case, the bike must be suspended with the wheels down and the frame components are installed parallel to the wall surface. From the point of view of comfort, this option is advantageous. the bike does not take up much space and becomes a full-fledged part of the interior. In addition, it is very easy to remove a bicycle from a parallel state. This option is also suitable for attaching several bike units at once.
Damage to appearance
Since most modern wall mounts are made from metal materials, there is an increased likelihood of damage to bicycle components from the mounts. For example, the bare metal hooks that will support and fix the frame of your bike can leave deep scratches and bumps on it. To prevent this from happening, experts advise using special fabric substrates, covers, or buying rubberized fasteners in advance.
The shelf mounting method is ideal for those cyclists who are trying to give an aesthetic look to absolutely everything. Shelves can simultaneously perform several functions at once.
- Fixing. Thanks to their design, the shelves effectively keep the bike suspended rather than letting it fall. This mounting method does not require complex installation and takes up a minimum of free space in a horizontal state.
- Decorative. Modern bike racks can be made in an interesting design or painted in an original color. This allows you to effectively use them in certain style solutions.
- Functional. If the lower part of the shelf performs precisely the fixing function, then the upper one often becomes a place for placing various household items. It can be both bicycle accessories and interior elements: books, flowers, watches or paintings.
Bicycle racks can be of two types:
- Wooden shelf for horizontal suspension of the bike under the frame;
- Bicycle saddle rack.
Some apartment buildings with thin plasterboard walls do not permit wall-mounted large installations. Check with your head if your home is one of them.
Many bike owners do not pay any attention to such a factor as the height of the mount, which is a serious oversight. A bike that is too low is likely to constantly interfere with household members with its steering wheel, pedals or wheels (especially in narrow spaces). If the bike is secured too high, there is a chance that if it falls, it will severely damage the flooring, furniture, or even harm your health.
For example, placing a bicycle handlebar, pedals or chain at eye and head level can cause serious injury to yourself and your family. Especially often, such situations occur at night, when a person is poorly oriented in space and may stumble upon everyday things. Try to select the height so that the piercing elements of your two-wheeled friend are above or below eye level.
How to fix the bike?
After you have decided on the type of attachment and the place for its installation, you should proceed with the attachment procedure itself. The most common are only 3 ways to mount the bike to the wall: the frame is parallel to the wall, the frame components are perpendicular to the wall, and the mount is under the ceiling itself. Each of the options will be considered in detail below, and the fastening procedure itself is provided.
Wall mounts for bicycles: types, tips for choosing and installing
- Mount types
- Fastener selection options
- How to fix the bike?
- Common mistakes
Today, the bicycle has gone beyond the scope of an alternative means of transportation and has become a full-fledged vehicle that can travel significant distances. Together with the question of using the bike, the question arises of storing it with minimal damage to free space and comfort. In this article, you will get acquainted with information about wall mounts for a vehicle, with their varieties, installation features and tips for their installation.
Mini bike holder
Unfortunately, bulky metal hooks, cabinets or shelves will not look harmonious in every apartment, and then screw mini-bike holders are gaining popularity lately. Such units are best suited for minimalist apartments. they take up very little space and are made of durable materials that can withstand up to 15 kg of weight.
Thanks to the U-shaped fasteners, these holders can be used to attach all components of the bike. frame, wheels, pedals or saddle. Unlike other fastening units, mini bike carriers perform exclusively as a fixing function and are NOT suitable for improving the interior of the room.
How to store your bike properly in winter
Most often, bicycles are stored on balconies, but there they are too exposed to aggressive exposure to sunlight and rain. Therefore, garages are often considered as an alternative to an apartment.
Before storing your bike in the garage for a long time, you need to prepare it. Compliance with the recommendations will preserve the appearance and working condition of the vehicle until spring itself:
- Remove all dirt and old lubricant from the bike. Thoroughly clean the elements with a rag or brush and then treat with solvent. At the same time, remember that in the spring you will need to lubricate the chain and other rubbing parts back.
- Apply fresh lubricant, and change technical fluids, paying particular attention to chains, derailleurs and brake cable.
- To protect metal parts from temperature fluctuations and moisture, use silicone.
[Attention type = red] Important! After preserving the bike, you need to prepare it for storage. [/ Attention]
For conservation, certain actions are performed with the elements:
- The chain must be set to minimum sprockets everywhere.
- Loosen all cables and brake springs.
- It is recommended to reduce the tire pressure by half, despite the fact that throughout the season you carefully monitored this parameter and pumped them up so that the tires had the correct pressure.
- Remove computers from the unit.
- Loosen the head and seat straps.
Such measures will protect the bike from breaking with a cable and cracks on the rubber, which may appear from the cold.
To save more space, do a few tinkering with the bike before attaching it to the holders:
- Remove the pedals and position them next to the cranks;
- Turn the steering wheel so that its handles and frame are at an angle of 90 degrees;
- Dismantle the seat if it is not necessary for the hook;
- If the bike is stored on the ceiling, the wheels can be removed.
Best place: how to store your bike in the garage
With the onset of winter, cyclists start looking for a place where their bike can ride out the cold. Very lucky for those who have their own garage premises. However, you need to understand what it is like to properly store your bike in the garage. To do this, you will need to carry out special preparatory measures and the presence of fasteners.
Location of the bike in the garage
In general, the ways of storing a bicycle in a garage are not much different from an apartment one. Don’t worry if this is your first experience, as keeping your bike in the garage is just as easy and convenient. Let’s take a look at the main options:
- Ceiling mount. Two blocks of holders are fixed on the ceiling, between which a rope is pulled with hooks for a handlebar and a saddle. It is enough to pull on the free ends, as the bike rises up. This method is suitable for any type of bike, difficulties arise only with the initial installation.
- Wall mounts. The design consists of clamps installed on the wall at different heights. They usually have a rubberized tip to protect the bike parts from damage. The vehicle is fixed to the frame, so it can be difficult with the ladies and foldable models. Of the advantages, it is worth noting a more rigid fixation, the ability to place several units at once and their constant visibility.
- Fixation for the wheel. In this case, different devices are used, which are united by the fact that the bike is held not along the frame, but by the rotating element. Thanks to this fixing, a lot of space can be saved, because the units are installed in an upright position. However, this is not recommended for models with hydraulic brakes. Also, the load on one of the rims increases, it leads to frame bending.
The garage is an ideal place for wintering a bicycle, where transport does NOT bother anyone, and proper preparation will protect it from possible changes in temperature and humidity. If you have perfect cleanliness in this room, then you can put the bike in a cover so that it does NOT stain anything. Garage bike racks are identical to apartment options, so cyclists can choose the one that suits them best.
How to store
It is also important how the bike will be stored. Will it stand on wheels or be suspended. Disassembled or integral. Worth Pay attention to the manufacturer’s recommendations regarding the downtime of your model bike. After all, bicycles differ in materials and nuances of structure and work.
It is not recommended to store your bike in low temperatures (below 0 ° C). You should also avoid sudden and significant temperature changes. Due to the drops, condensation forms, which spoils the metal, therefore, the general state of transport. Therefore, you should not leave the bike on the street or on the balcony for the winter. But in a garage for THESE purposes it is perfect, because even in an unheated garage, the temperature rarely drops below 0 ° C.
The frame is parallel to the wall.
With this attachment, the bike takes up quite a lot of space on the wall, but very little room space. It is most convenient to hang the bike with the wheels down, so as not to turn it over every time you need it.
Special mounts. 2. Lubrication
After removing the old oil, you need to treat all the necessary parts of the bike with lubricant. Be sure to lubricate: chain, brake cables, brake levers.
Storing your bike in the garage
The garage is a place where not only a vehicle is stored, but also many other items that are nowhere else to be located. This includes old furniture and tools with spare parts. But a large number of things, besides the car, does NOT mean that everything is in a mess. With the proper organization of space, even in such a small room as a garage, a lot of items can be stored in perfect order.
The topic of our today’s article is directly related to the storage of “foreign” items in the garage, namely the bicycle. Like a motorcycle, few people use a bicycle in winter on icy roads. So, it is necessary to provide for it. Care and storage should be provided during the cold weather. This is what we will talk about, below you will find answers to the following questions:
- How to hang a bike in the garage?
- Basic principles of bike storage.
- Preservation of bicycles for the winter.
We found that there are three ways to secure the bike. But how to fix it? There are a lot of types of bike mounts. We will tell you about the most convenient and successful devices on which you can hang your bike.
Bicycle attachment methods
There are three main ways to secure your bike. Which one to choose depends only on the amount of free space and your comfort.
First of all, the bike needs to be thoroughly washed after the season. Please note that dust and dirt must be cleaned very carefully. All hard-to-reach places must also be washed. You should also remove the remaining oil from the chain, sprockets, bushings, etc. For this, you can use a solvent or a special solution for cleaning.