How to glue a bike camera at home
The main reasons for a puncture can be:
- hitting a sharp object with a bicycle wheel;
- pinching the chamber between the rim and the tire;
- wheel spoke impact;
- rough, hard end of the nipple hole.
What needs to be prepared. the choice of inventory for repair
To save money on buying a new camera, you can do a simple repair. It will be within the power of every owner of a two-wheeled vehicle.
Repair kit with patches to fix punctures in the bicycle camera on the road
To do this, you should use some tool and a special repair kit.
So, you will need:
- hex heads and keys for wheel dismantling;
- a mounting paddle to bend the tire away from the rim;
- large container with water (basin or bucket).
The repair kit includes:
- rubber patches.
What glue can be used?
The rubber patches are cut from the old camera and the glue is selected separately.
We glue the bike camera with a repair kit
- Preparation for work.
- Place the bike in the mounting position: turn it over and fix it.
- Nearby, preferably in a conspicuous place, for example, on a table with lighting, lay out tools and materials.
- Removing and inspecting a wheel.
- Using the proper tools, remove the wheel from the bike.
- Secure it and carefully inspect the entire tire for damage. Wear gloves so as not to accidentally injure yourself on glass fragments or self-tapping screws that are stuck in the tire.
- Even if you know exactly where the puncture is, carry out a complete inspection of the tire without missing an inch.
- Removing the tire.
- Insert the previously prepared mounting paddle between the rim and tire. First push the nipple inward.
- Gently pull the paddle towards you and separate the tire from the wheel.
- Note! On some bikes, the tire can be removed by hand with just one paddle.
- Camera diagnostics.
- Take off your camera and pump it up with a bike pump.
- Place the camera in a container of water and observe carefully. In the place where air bubbles appear, there is a puncture.
- Note! Sometimes it seems that there is only one damage, but during the diagnosis it is possible to detect several of them.
- Covering the camera.
- Using sandpaper, roughen the area around the damage.
- Apply a little glue to the treated surface and spread it evenly. Wait for it to dry completely.
- Apply a second coat of glue in the same way and let it dry completely again. How to check if the surface is ready for further work? If the glue is dry, it will be dull.
- Apply a third coat of glue and place a patch over the puncture site. Alternatively, if you have a purchased repair kit, remove the protective film from the patch and attach it to the tire. Press firmly or apply abs.
- Installing the camera and wheel.
- Fit one tire bead to the rim.
- Pump up the camera, but not completely. Install it in its seat in the rim.
- Gently push the second bead of the tire under the rim with your thumbs along the entire diameter of the wheel.
- Pump up your camera. The bike is ready for use.
How to solve the problem quickly without glue
Sometimes, the puncture needs to be repaired when there is no glue or rubber patches at hand. For such cases, there is an old, proven old-fashioned method.
- Turn the bike over and secure it.
- Find the puncture site on the camera.
This can be done during the inspection. You can also press on the tire with your hands and listen. The air coming out of the puncture will make itself felt with a sound similar to a hiss.
- Bend one bead of the tire away from the rim next to the puncture site and tie a knot when taking out the tube.
- Slide the tire beads under the rim and pump up the tube.
LEARN MORE IN
You can also glue your bike tube with wet rubber. But this will require a special heating apparatus for vulcanization.
However, one must be careful that as a result:
- do not spoil the surface of the iron;
- or permanently damage the camera;
How to properly glue a bicycle tube and repair a tire
How to glue a bicycle tube:
Before installing the tube, double check the inside of the tire to determine the cause of the puncture. Once, after driving along a road along a river dotted with hedge thorns, I found about a dozen thorns! By matching the tube and tire, you can find the puncture site. Carefully run your fingertips around the inside of the tire to find the items that caused the puncture and remove them.
Important tips for puncture repair:
- When removing the tube from the tire, remember in which direction the tube was placed in the wheel. This will help locate the puncture site in the chamber after locating the puncture site in the tire.
- Use a ballpoint pen to mark the puncture site with a cross so that you know it exactly.
- If you don’t have sandpaper, stone and pavement can be used instead.
- To prevent the beads of easily inflated tires from falling into the rim groove on one side and swelling on the opposite side, install a thicker rim tape or two rim tapes.
- To make tight tires easier to remove and replace, install rim tape as thin as possible.
- Follow the puncture repair technique carefully. The latter must be installed on the rim section of the tire at the point where the nipple is attached. Make sure the tire beads are as deep as possible into the rim groove. When installing some hard tires, beads are indispensable. Use special VAR 425 bumpers to prevent puncture of the camera during installation.
Determining the type of puncture.
Two small side-by-side holes in the tube indicate a snakebite that occurs when the tube is pinched between the tire and the rim when driving over a sharp object. Also, these punctures are often caused by under-inflation of the tire to the recommended pressure. Make sure the tire sidewall is intact. Otherwise, you cannot do without urgent tire repair.
The hole on the inside of the chamber indicates that the spoke head is to blame for the puncture. Check the entire length of the rim and make sure the spoke holes are covered with rim tape and the ends of the spokes do not protrude beyond the inner surface of the rim. If they protrude, then they need to be filed.
A less common cause of puncture is the rough edge of the nipple hole. This puncture is located at the base of the nipple and it is not possible to glue the bicycle tube.
Create your own camera repair kit:
- Several patches;
- Rubber glue;
- A pair of plastic edging;
- A piece of good sandpaper;
- Small adjustable wrench (when using wheels with hex nuts);
- Or a hex wrench (when using wheels with hex nuts);
- Reliable pump;
- LED keychain (useful when using a dynamo);
- A pair of spare tires (always carry with you).
Everything except the pump should be packed in the seat bag.
Systematic tire check.
Check your bike tires weekly for tread cuts, sidewall bulges and wear. Tires with cuts, bulging, and tires with skin visible through the tread are not subject to further use. Remove any pebbles and glass you find embedded in the protector. Use a pressure gauge to check the tire pressure. Tires inflated to the recommended pressure will puncture less frequently and last longer. Recommended pressure is usually indicated on the sidewall of the tire.
Bring spare cameras and tires with you.
In the rain, it is very difficult to glue the bike tube, as the patch will not be able to stick to the tube. In such a situation, you need to install a spare camera, which you should always carry with you! A spare tube will also be indispensable in the event of a tire bulging out of the rim or a puncture at the nipple attachment point.
Urgent bicycle tire repair.
Fold a large piece of sturdy plastic in half. Trim the section to a size 10cm wider than the cut and 5cm wider than the tire. Remove the tire from the rim. Place a double layer of patch in the center of the gap or cut within the sheathing. Holding the emergency patch, which should protrude on both sides of the tire, install the first bead of the tire on the rim.
If necessary, install a new camera and pump it up a little. Install the second bead of the tire, with the last to install the glued section of the tire. Make sure the patch adheres to both sides. Inflate the tire and cut off any extra patch that should hold perfectly in place thanks to the tire’s air pressure.
How to properly glue the bike camera
A bicycle tube is very vulnerable to punctures. Having run over even a small thorn, you can punch a hole. When hiking, far from home, you must have a patching repair kit with you, otherwise cycling may end very quickly. At home, it is much easier to glue the bicycle camera, since everything you need is at hand.
Required materials and tools
- Wrenches of different sizes for wheel removal.
- Repair kit or made patches.
- Glue for rubber.
- Disassembly tool to remove the tube from under the tire. Two plastic paddles / hooks are used. In extreme cases, you can use screwdrivers or wrenches, but you will have to be very careful, because there is a possibility that they will damage the camera. And the risk of spoiling the rim with scratches is also possible.
- A piece of chalk to mark the puncture site.
- Medium grit sandpaper for grouting and preferably a degreaser.
- At home. bath or basin of water for puncture detection.
- Weight to press the patch, rolling roller (this way an even better connection is achieved).
How to glue the bike camera
- The simplest is to use camera repair kits. Repair kits differ in composition and include different materials. For example, there can be patches of different sizes and shapes, sandpaper or metal float, glue, crayon. And sometimes there is no sandpaper or chalk. There are also sold large bicycle kits, called bicycle first-aid kits, which include both patches and other materials / tools for repairing, maintaining a bicycle (a set of keys, a pump, screwdrivers, and others). It will be useful to have reinforced patches for repairing tires, in case of damage to which a chamber puncture is inevitable, it’s only a matter of time.
- Self-adhesive patches. The package contains several round or rectangular rubber patches, one side of which is smeared with glue, sandpaper. An ideal option if a wheel broke through during a trip and you urgently need to glue it. It is enough to clean the place near the hole, remove all dirt, dust from it, apply a patch, wait 50-10 minutes.
- Homemade patches and the right glue for them. The patches are made from an old unused chamber. Patches are cut to fit the puncture size so that the patch itself is larger and overlaps the damage with a margin. Regarding the glue, ordinary rubber glue is suitable. The disadvantage is that you have to spend time making patches and buying glue. Also, the drying time is long, it is necessary to press the camera under a large load. Cannot be glued with quick-hardening compounds (superglues), their seams are inelastic, under mechanical stress, bends, they will crack. The adhesive must form an elastic seam.
To repair the camera, it will be enough:
- a wrench to unscrew the nut from the hub (if the wheel design is without an eccentric);
- tire removal tool;
- sandpaper for sanding the surface;
- patches and glue (or a patch of self-adhesive);
Of the repair kits, the Chinese Red Sun is popular, it includes patches and glue under the same name. Despite the country of production (China), the repair kit is not inferior in quality to more expensive brand analogs, but there is not enough glue to glue all the patches from the kit. When applying a normal layer of glue, it will turn out to glue only 10 patches, and they come with 24 or 36 pieces.
It is worth paying attention to such sets:
- Rema Tip Top TT04 Sport;
- Park Tool Super Patch VP1.
Repair kits are listed in descending order of price and quality. So, the Tip top set costs 400 r, for Weldtite you will have to pay about 300 r, and
If we compare sandpaper and a metal grater for stripping rubber, then there is practically no difference. The only nuance concerns the weather, when it is raining, it is much easier to clean even the wet surface of the camera with a grater.
With regards to self-adhesive patches, you can choose from:
- Park Tool Super Patch GP-2;
- Weldtite red devils.
What glue to use
The glue must meet a number of requirements:
- after drying, the seam should not change properties during inflation / deflation of the wheel;
- dry as quickly as possible (especially important when the hole happened during a bike ride).
With regard to elasticity, any glue for gluing rubber is suitable, but not based on cyanoacrylate. everything that contains the words “superglue, cyanoacrylate, cosmophen”.
- Good glue Moment for rubber. It is inexpensive, easy to apply, and easy to wash if it gets on your hands. Disadvantage. not suitable for quick repairs, since the sonnet is from 30 minutes to two hours.
- Adhesive for patches Tip-Top, however, dries for a very long time (2-4 hours).
- Red Sun quick-drying glue, which was mentioned above (from the repair kit of the same name). The glue takes 5-15 minutes to dry completely. Not for sale separately, can only be obtained with a set.
A few more representatives are written in the table.
|Octopus or 88-NT from Novbytkhim||24|
|88-CA from Anles||24|
Camera sealing technology
For beginners, the process may seem complicated. But in practice, everything is done very quickly. In addition, the complexity may depend on the bike itself, more specifically, on its design. So, for example, a wheel can be tightened with classic nuts or “set” on an eccentric. In the second case, dismantling is simplified.
In short, the job is as follows:
- remove the wheel;
- get the camera;
- find a puncture;
- glue the damage;
- collect the wheel, pump up and put back.
Removing a wheel from a bike
First unscrew the nuts on the bushing. In modern bicycles, the size of the nuts is 14 mm, the wrench is needed the same. If the wheel is fixed with an eccentric, then simply unclench it. Then remove the wheel and proceed to the next step.
How to remove the tire and take out the camera
- Bleed air completely from the chamber. Press down on the spool inside the nipple and push down on the chamber until air is released. Or completely unscrew the spool.
- Using the mounting tool, gently pry the tire and move the lever to extend the tire so that it looks out of the rim. With the second assembly at a distance of 10-15 cm, protrude the tire in the same way. When a part of the tire already protrudes beyond the rim, you can pry it with your fingers and move along the rim until the entire side of the tire comes out. It is not necessary to remove the other side of the tire.
- Pull out the nipple from the hole in the rim, then completely remove the rubber tube.
How to find a puncture
- If the puncture is large, the air released from it will be very audible. There may be other minor damage, so be sure to apply the following methods.
- Pump up the chamber, lower it into the water, either completely submerging, or gradually scrolling. Where the puncture is, air bubbles will be released. Remove the camera from the water, wipe it with a cloth, mark the damaged area with chalk or a marker.
- Make a soapy solution. Bubbles will inflate in the punctured area.
On a walk, where there is no water, you can strongly inflate the camera and try to find a hole using fine dust. For example, fine dust or sand on the road under a strong jet will swell to the sides.
How to properly glue the camera
- Make sure the camera is fully deflated and dry.
- Sand the puncture area so that the surface is not smooth and dull. The stripping area should be about 5-10 mm larger than the patch size.
- Remove the protective film from the patch and apply glue to it. The method of applying the glue depends on the mixture itself and the repair kit. It is necessary to clarify on a tube of glue or instructions on the package of the kit. Sometimes it is necessary to apply glue as much as on both surfaces (camera and patch), and sometimes it is enough to lubricate only the patch.
- Wait for the required time after lubrication, if so indicated in the instructions.
- Stick the patch with the greased side, squeeze the air out from under it (movements with your finger from the center to the edges). Additionally, it can be rolled with a plastic roller. Then, for the required time (depending on the glue), press the entire area with a weighty weight. For example, put a book on top of the patch, press down with a coffee table.
- Wait for the gluing time, inflate the camera and check the gluing strength. For the result to be surely wait longer than written in the instructions.
How to put the wheel back together
- We place the deflated camera inside the wheel with our hands. First we insert the nipple into the rim, and then we fill the camera with our hands.
- For convenience, slightly inflate the wheel.
- Install the tire back using the mounting hooks.
- Fully swing the wheel, put it back on the bike. We tighten the nuts well, check the evenness of the installation so that the brakes do not overwrite, and there are no very different gaps between the fork / feathers and the wheel. If necessary, do alignment.
What to do if there is no glue
The camera can be repaired without glue. To get home quickly, you can rewind the patch tightly with material that is breathable, but snug against the rubber. It can be some kind of film, electrical tape, scotch tape.
There will not be a strong connection, which means you need to adhere to the rules:
- drive constantly so that the wheel and patch are always under load, and the patch does not move inside;
- it is better to move on a clean, flat road;
- do not overload the wheel.
Vulcanization is the most durable repair method. The patch is pressed tightly, then heating is done with a high temperature, so both surfaces are fused, forming a single material. Vulcanize in a tire fitting in a couple of minutes.
What to do if the camera goes down
Descent after the repair carried out may indicate the following:
- the patch leaves and lets air through (dip it in water to check);
- there are other punctures on the camera that were not sealed;
- the nipple allows air to pass through (you can tighten the spool or completely change the chamber in case of an unsatisfactory result);
- a cord (metal thin wire) has come out of the tire, which constantly makes new damage. The most correct thing would be to replace the camera with a new one.
Repair kit or spare wheel?
The choice is made towards what is more convenient to apply in case of damage. A spare camera is more expensive and weighs more. To use the repair kit, certain conditions are required.
It is always desirable to have a repair kit. You don’t have to buy a spare if you have to drive close to home. But for long trips, a spare tire is required.
How to avoid punctures
Basic rules for driving:
- do not run over curbs, especially at speed;
- do not ride on glass, beaches and other areas where there are a lot of thorns;
- if the front wheel ran into a “dangerous” object (glass, spokes, needles), then try to sharply turn the steering wheel, maneuver so that the rear wheel passes by.
Requirements also apply to the operation of wheels.
- Observe the correct tire pressure. Wheels that are too flat are more prone to punctures. The tires must be marked with the permitted pressure range. For example, in the image below, the minimum pressure is 2.8 bar, the maximum is 4.5 bar. There is also a rule. to pump up in winter and during the cold season of spring-autumn more than in summer. Under the influence of cold in an enclosed space, the air decreases its pressure. If in summer you swing the wheels up to 2.8 bar, then in winter you can increase the pressure to 3.8 bar. It is important that the upper limit does not exceed the allowable limit written on the tire.
The modern market offers three tools in case of punctures.
- Anti-puncture tape is a rubberized plastic or kevlar tape (strip), which is laid inside the wheel between the tire and the tube. Creates an additional protective layer.
- Sealant. It is poured into the chamber and, in the event of a puncture, tightens the hole, helping to reach the destination.
- Self-adhesive cameras. A special resin is pumped inside the cavity. During the puncture, it completely seals the hole.
- How many patches can be glued on one camera? There are examples when a bike rides for a long time with 8 or even 10 patches. At least you can be guided by the number of patches in 5-6 pieces.
- How to choose the right camera? When choosing, take into account the size of the wheel, the width of the rim and the hole in the rim so that the nipple can easily pass into it.
All adhesives can be classified into four groups. The first one is “per diem”. They require 24 hours of pressure exposure of the patch. If you are repairing a camera at home or in a garage when there is no rush, it makes sense to use adhesives of this particular group. The chambers repaired with the second group of adhesives are usable after 5-12 hours. They are comfortable in field conditions. The main advantage of these two types is that the result depends little on the repair experience of the worker. The third group is fast-acting (dry up to 30 minutes). These include all adhesives from motorcycle medicine boxes. And the fourth, last group is instant adhesives. Working with them is fundamentally different from other types of repair tools. First, the composition is applied to only one surface; Secondly, they do not require drying. The faster you connect the surfaces (and press hard), the better. This is where the weak point of instant adhesives lies: the strength of the bond depends on the skill of the master and his “eye”. Poured a little more or gape. the patch will quickly fall off.
The simplest glue that our grandfathers used successfully was crude rubber dissolved in gasoline. The oldest used adhesives are “88” and “A” brands. The latter were completed (and are still being completed) with some bicycle and motorcycle first-aid kits. In the late 70s, Moment appeared, released under license from Henkel. It was a sensation: I dried it for 15 minutes, squeezed it. and it’s done. Its strength was legendary. Since the 80s, the country has been filled with “miracle” adhesives in hitherto unseen miniature tubes. Along with the obviously “fake” Asian adhesives, there are many high-quality products of the world famous companies “Loctite”, “Abro”, “Henkel” on the market.
for a tube with a capacity of 40-50 ml. (1/7 the cost of the camera). Considering that in terms of strength these adhesives do not have a significant advantage over conventional ones, their only advantages are the speed of repair and ease of transportation. Only tests can identify adhesive leaders. We carried out them according to a standard technique, determining the resistance to delamination (simply. to tearing) of a rubber patch of a common size. 35 mm in diameter. It was cut from a Russian-made motorcycle camera. The force of tearing off the patch, glued with ordinary rubber glue from the motorcycle first-aid kit (pos. 15 in the table), was taken as the standard of strength. This effort turned out to be equal to 3.5 kg and is conventionally estimated in the table by one point. Five points were awarded to adhesives providing the highest bond strength (pull-off force over 10 kg). And, finally, adhesives that fall short of the standard were given a sign in the table “-“.
Among the “daily” adhesives and the group “5-12 hours”, almost all brands showed good results. The leader of the first group was “88-SA”, the second. “Radical”. Instant adhesives were pleased with their high strength, especially the gel “Super Moment” and “Super Attak”. Disappointed adhesives firms “Abro” and “Aljico”. Adhesives like “Red Sun” without special patches have no special advantages. The general takeaway about instant adhesives is that gel is the best to work with. In any case, check the quality of the work. pull the edge of the patch: does it come off? Then boldly go!
What glue to glue the bike camera?
Puncture or puncture of a bicycle wheel on domestic roads will surprise few people. Whether this will happen from a defect in the road surface or clogging of the carriageway with sharp-piercing objects, the result is one. tire fitting. Some go to specialists, others act independently.
To fix a punctured wheel, special knowledge and skills are not required, the order of work is the same, and consumables are available to everyone. By following these simple steps, you can save a lot.
Bicycle Camera Glue
When there is nothing to replace the punctured camera with or you just don’t want to spend money on buying a new one, then glue and a rubber patch will come to the rescue.
“Moment” is the most popular clay on the domestic market, which is considered universal. He is able to work with many materials: to glue both homogeneous surfaces and in various combinations.
The manufacturer claims that all varieties have basic characteristics: for any surfaces (unless otherwise specified), water resistance, long shelf life and preservation of properties after the glue freezes).
There are a sufficient number of “Moment” varieties suitable for repairing bicycle cameras:
Since the conditions in which the bicycle tube is used require the use of adhesives that can withstand tensile loads, be moisture-resistant and heat-resistant.
The RedSun repair kit is irreplaceable on the road. RED SUN Sanglee Industry Co. Ltd, Taiwan. If on the way there was a nuisance in the form of an unexpected puncture, then this set will greatly help out the cyclist.
It is a pleasure to use them. after finding the puncture site, the place is cleaned, and without applying glue to it, the Redsun patch is pressed. After a couple of minutes, the camera can be mounted back.
The glue from this repair kit is not used in practice, so the adhesive applied to the patch is quite enough, and the additional glue only increases the repair time. The patches glued in this way adhere very well, and after a long time it is difficult to tear them off the bicycle tube.
By purchasing the RedSun kit, the cyclist provides himself with patches of bicycle cameras for a long time.
Tip Top SC 2000
Tip Top SC 2000 is one of the best solutions for bike camera problems. It is elastic, holds heat well, does not lose its properties for a long time (up to 4 years), and most importantly, the glued products can be used in two hours.
The composition of this glue consists of two components, allowing it to be used in places with increased stress.
In order for the result of using Tip Top SC 2000 to be positive, it is necessary to follow the recommendations for its use:
- Use at temperatures from 10 to 25 ° С.
- Avoid direct sunlight.
- Surfaces must be polished and degreased.
Bicycle Camera Repair Kits
They include everything you need to quickly fix wheel punctures. They necessarily include patches (rubber patches), both treated with glue, and not, as well as glue and skin for stripping rubber.
Reviews of repair kits
How to glue a bicycle tube?
The road repair scheme is standard:
- Remove the punctured wheel.
- Disassemble it. To do this, use two assemblies (slotted screwdrivers).
- Take out the camera carefully.
- Find the puncture site with water or by ear. Pump up and watch-listen.
Usually cyclists ride with water, which can be useful and off-label. To better see the place of air etching, use any diluted detergent (you can use soap).
If none of this is present, then the search remains only by touch and by ear:
- After that, the puncture site is thoroughly cleaned and a thin layer of glue is applied, if there is no degreaser, then without it: the main thing after cleaning is not to touch this place with your hands.
- After 5-10 minutes, apply a second layer on both surfaces and press them strongly against each other for a couple of minutes (see the instructions for the glue used).
- They wait at least half an hour, mount the camera back.
- Pump up and ride on.
A way to repair a camera without glue
There is a way out if there is a strong lace or soft wire. The principle is simple. you need to isolate the puncture site.
The puncture site is located and on both sides of it the camera is tightly bandaged and mounted back.
Thus, you can get to the house or to the place of repair.
- Repair of the chamber without the participation of glue. a vulcanization method. This is absolute reliability and durability.
You need crude rubber, gasoline for degreaser and a vulcanizer (heater equipped with a clamp).
The puncture site is cleaned, degreased, a patch of raw rubber is laid on it and covered with paper on top. Then the prepared “product” is placed in a vulcanizing clamp and left to “cook” for 5-10 minutes until fully cooked.
The raw rubber patch processed in this way becomes a monolithic part of the chamber.
Why does the camera lower after repair?
The answer is simple and there are few reasons:
- The patch is unstuck and misses. this is unlikely, but it also happens.
- During installation, foreign piercing objects got into the wheel tire. Small stones can play a bad joke.
- There is a nail in the tire or something similar. He has already made one puncture, you glued it, but you have not got rid of the cause of the puncture. Exit: how to examine the tire.
- Spoke protection tape is dislodged or torn. The fact is that the tips of the spokes can pierce a bicycle tube as well as a nail.
- And the main reason for the instant damage to the camera is inaccurate editing. Either with a screwdriver hooked and ripped out a piece or pinched the camera between the tire court and the rim.
How to avoid future punctures?
It will not be possible to get a full guarantee against punctures, but it is quite possible to significantly reduce this risk:
- Use high tread rubber.
- Purchase high-quality tubeless tires with inserts that reach 15 mm.
- Strengthen the bike court by yourself. Insert into the tire another, but thinner and without a court.
- Inject a special gel into the chambers, which blocks it in the event of a puncture.
How and how to glue the bicycle camera on your own, preventive measures
Cycling is sometimes overshadowed by damage to the tire. It is not always possible to replace a wheel with a new one. Therefore, it will be useful to know how to glue the bike camera with your own hands. There are several solutions to the problem. Of all the methods, you can choose the most suitable for the level of professionalism of the user.
Certain tools and materials will come in handy when fixing a bicycle tube. Before work, you need to prepare everything. Particular attention should be paid to the adhesive. Only then can you start disassembling the bike and troubleshooting.
Take the survey
A step-by-step workshop explaining how to glue a bicycle tube correctly consists of the following steps:
- dismantling the wheel;
- removing the camera;
- search for the puncture site;
It is very important to follow the instructions clearly so as not to miss anything and not to make unnecessary movements. Execution errors can lead to new breakdowns.
Selection of materials and tools
For repair, you will need the following kit:
A set of patches, bicycle assemblies Medium abrasive sandpaper Pump
The main point is the right glue. In this case, it must be plastic after drying, so that during operation there is no divergence of the repaired areas.
It is recommended not to use cyanoacrylate based glue.
There are several options for glue for rubber. The most popular are:
- “Moment”. budget composition, full bonding is achieved in 24 hours;
- special glue for Red Sun bicycles. works in 15 minutes;
- Tip Top SC 2000 is the most reliable two-component product that takes 2-4 hours to dry.
You should keep a first aid kit with you in order to quickly seal a puncture in a bicycle wheel in any situation.
Moment Red Sun Tip Top SC 2000
Removing a wheel
Camera repair begins with dismantling the wheel. It is quite simple to do this using the following algorithm:
- Disconnect the rim brakes;
- if the wings prevent disassembly, they must also be removed;
- put the bike with the wheels up;
- remove the wheel by unscrewing the mounting bolts.
In the process, you may need a hex wrench.
Removing the camera
Dismantling the camera is the most difficult stage. You can do this using a bead or a regular screwdriver. First you need to deflate the wheel by unscrewing the nipple valve. Sometimes this process is performed before removing the wheel.
The wheel should be gripped so that the nipple is at the back. One end of the bead is inserted between the tire and the rim. The second is at a distance of 10 cm or more from the first in the same way. Then, pulling the bead like a lever, you need to raise the tire. The rim should slide over the edge of the wheel, you just need to free it with your hands.
Search for damage
At this stage, the damage itself must be found. There are several ways. The most popular ones:
- Place the camera in a bowl of water. Air will escape at the puncture site, forming bubbles. The easiest way, after which the tire must be thoroughly dried.
- Inflate the tire and listen to where the air comes out.
- In some cases, it is enough to examine the camera well. This method is the least accurate, as you may not notice other punctures.
- Apply soapy water to suspicious areas. Where there is damage, bubbles will appear.
The detected puncture site must be marked with chalk. It is definitely worth inspecting the tire from all sides, whether there are any foreign objects left there. If there are any, they must be removed before gluing.
Not every case can be repaired, especially on its own. If multiple or large punctures are found on the camera, and air continues to escape after sealing, it should be completely replaced with a new one.
Bonding and assembly
Before you glue the bicycle camera yourself, you must degrease the damaged area. For these purposes, use gasoline, solvent or alcohol. Then it is recommended to sand the surface with sandpaper for better adhesion of the adhesive and the patch.
The required amount of glue is applied to the patch, then it is firmly applied to the tire and pressed. Keep in this position for some time so that the glue sets. If necessary, the treated area is fixed with a load and left for several hours. Then you need to check how successful the repair was. To do this, the camera on the bicycle is pumped up and checked for air escaping. If all is well, the tire is deflated and ready for assembly:
- the camera is neatly installed on the rim using the “mounting”. the tire should fit snugly;
- air is pumped into the tire;
- install the wheel in place by bolting.
If the front wheel was repaired, at the end you need to know which side to mount it correctly. The bicycle tire has an arrow or lettering mark that indicates the correct tread direction.
Besides bicycle tube glue, there are other ways to fix punctures. Each of them has its own pros and cons. You can glue the bike camera at home without using glue or using the vulcanization method.
Vulcanization is the most effective method of patching damage. However, this requires certain skills. The bottom line is that it is necessary to glue the patch under the influence of high temperatures. The melted material is held together securely. To glue the rubber, they use special devices. vulcanizers, or are limited to what is at home.
Before gluing the patch, the place of damage must be cleaned of foreign objects, degreased and sanded. This will ensure maximum adhesion of the materials. You can also attach a self-adhesive patch to the camera, but this option is the most unreliable, since it peels off soon and releases air.
During a puncture in the field, not everyone has a repair kit on hand. There are other methods, like gluing a bicycle tire without glue, to get home. You can seal it with electrical tape, wrapping the puncture site well, or use a plastic bag: moisten a piece with water and attach to the hole. Inflate the wheel so that the polyethylene is tightly pressed into the puncture site.
Any of these methods are suitable as a temporary measure. In some circumstances, such repairs may be detrimental to the bicycle camera and may impair product performance. The main condition is not to put a heavy load on transport during movement.
Manufacturers offer anti-puncture bike tires, but they are rough and heavy. These tires are mainly used by athletes for mountain skiing.
Preventing damage is much easier than fixing it later. Experts give recommendations, following which you can avoid wheel damage:
- Optimum filling of the chamber with air. On a poorly inflated tire, kinks will appear, and if inflated, the internal pressure will be too great.
- Choose flat paths for cycling, do not ride off-road.
- While driving, avoid obstacles, do not bump your wheels on stones, glass and other objects.
- Install special cameras with anti-puncture gel inside the bike. This method will not get rid of the puncture, but in the event of an accident, it will fill the damage and harden under the influence of open air.
- Stick the anti-puncture tape on the camera. Its advantage is in width, lightness, and low cost. With the help of the tape, you can protect the product from side punctures, but the protective properties of the polymer material are not the highest.
Anti-puncture liquid can be poured in advance or used directly at the time of puncture. Not all gels work on time, and this method does not always work on lateral injuries.
There are enough ways to fix a puncture, thanks to which any cyclist can cope with this defect. Even if you cannot completely repair the tire yourself, you will be able to take elementary measures and get to the right place.
Optimal filling of the chamber with air Driving on smooth roads Chambers with anti-puncture gel Adhesive anti-puncture tape
Video. How to glue a bike camera
Quite often, cyclists have to deal with the problem of a punctured camera. The same situation can happen with other vehicles with wheels. However, regardless of whether you are the owner of a bicycle, scooter or baby stroller, the causes of damage and remedies are usually the same.
As for the reasons, the camera can be pierced due to inattention: the spoke, in an imperceptible way for a person, left its place and pierced the rubber. Sometimes holes in the camera appear due to a violation of the wheel manufacturing technology. Strong pressure can also lead to a puncture.
Next, let’s move on to considering ways to avoid and eliminate the described problem.
How to properly glue the bike camera
The most basic measures are: buying tools, purchasing a special anti-puncture tape. Regarding the set of tools, it is better to purchase a led first aid kit with a set of patches, glue, sandpaper. Because it is unknown at what point your two-wheeled friend will need emergency repair.
How to glue a wheel on a stroller
To repair a wheelchair wheel chamber, follow these steps:
- Find a basic bike repair tool kit;
- Remove and disassemble the damaged wheel;
- Determine the location of the damaged area;
- Apply adhesive to the camera;
- Wait for the end of the glue polymerization process;
- Assemble and fit the wheel.
How to prevent puncture
It is worth knowing about some rules for avoiding the appearance of holes on the camera.
- Be careful: when you become a participant in the road traffic. and just moving on a bicycle or other types of transport. all your attention should be riveted to the road; try to notice debris, glass, metal pieces and go around them;
- Normal pressure: deviations in tire pressure, both in a lower and a higher direction, can cause damage to the wheels;
- Timely tire repair: any component of various mechanisms has a tendency to deteriorate over time; therefore, remember to check the condition of the bike parts and also change tires when they start to wear out.
- And again about care: the brakes must also work properly, because stopping a bicycle or scooter in time, the wheel of which is accidentally damaged, sometimes means not only to prevent further damage to the vehicle, but also to avoid bodily injury.
How to fix a camera with few tools at hand
You may not always have all the materials you need for an urgent bike repair. But do not rush to panic: you can bring the two-wheeled device to working order, at least in order to find a place where you can conduct a thorough inspection of the bike and carry out a full repair.
It is quite possible to seal the puncture in order to avoid air leakage without glue. You will need any sealed material: foil, polyethylene, electrical tape. With their help, you can apply a kind of patch. Then the wheel needs to be pumped up, pressing the patch as much as possible to the hole.
There is another quick way to repair a damaged camera. It is called vulcanization and involves the use of raw rubber. It is necessary to carry out such a repair in two steps: put a patch on the break and warm up the chamber. As a result, you will create a stronger connection than described in the first case.
How to replace a bike camera while walking
So, now going on a long bike ride, you will be aware of the need to have a basic set of tools with you. over, prepare an additional replacement in advance if the rubber on the wheel becomes unusable due to certain road accidents. If the camera is punctured, you can quickly replace the punctured rubber. Also check out the algorithm for removing a bicycle tire:
- Unscrew the fixing nut or loosen the technical eccentric;
- Clean the components of the removed wheel from dirt and dust;
- With chalk, mark in front of the chamber spool;
- Remove the spool: when you press the nipple, you need to release so much air that the tire moves freely from the rim;
- Using the assembly, pry off the cover, remove it.
Be careful: the rubber should not fall into the gap between the mounting and the rim, otherwise it may be damaged;
How to glue the patch correctly
Despite the fact that using a patch to repair punctures is not the most reliable and effective way to repair a camera, it is still worth using it.
You will need any kind of rubber glue. To make the right choice when buying, it is worth knowing in advance which manufacturers create glue that does not burst at bends. All you have to do is simply glue the breakage area.
What to do if the camera still lowers after repair
Sadly, sometimes repairs give a short-term result: even if all the instructions are followed and all the details are taken into account, over time, the camera can start descending again. This happens, however, not always because of the unprofessionalism of the person repairing the bicycle. The most common reason is that the patch continues to leak air. In this case, the unpleasant news: you will have to re-seal the hole or apply a patch. Also, make sure there are no other breaks or small punctures on the camera.
Air can also escape through the nipple. To prevent damage to this part, apply a soapy solution to it. Bubbles will appear if air actually comes out. All you have to do is tighten the part with a wrench.
Also, the problem may be the cord on the bicycle tire, which can be destroyed. In such a situation, you just need to purchase a new tire. Otherwise, from time to time you will suffer from camera punctures and constantly suffer from repairs and gluing.
How to glue a tubeless tire
To glue a tubeless wheel, you will need:
When using a tourniquet or patch to seal the tubeless tire, try to make the sealed area completely sealed.
- The spool is removed from the nipple;
- A sealant is squeezed into the resulting hole;
- The spool is mounted back;
- The tire is inflated until there is sufficient pressure;
- After 10 minutes, the tire can be reinstalled and put into operation, moreover, for a long time
This method has its own significant drawback: the spray will help to remove only minor scratches and damage.
How to solve the problem quickly without glue
Sometimes there is no glue at hand, and the breakdown needs to be fixed urgently.
If you just need to get to the house where you can completely repair the bicycle tube, then it will be enough to create conditions for pressing the patch to stop the air leak. To do this, you will need, as mentioned earlier, any air-tight material.
How to cure a bicycle tube at home
Vulcanizing is another fun and quick way to fix a bicycle tube when no glue is at hand. The main point here is heating the parts pressed against each other. the camera and the patch. to fuse them.
However, “vulcanization” can be done successfully by experienced motorists and cyclists. They can make “household” vulcanizers using vices, incinerators and cylinders.
How to locate a bicycle tube puncture at home
When starting to repair a bicycle camera, first make sure that you have found the exact location of the hole. Among the main ways to do this are the following:
- The most elementary is to simply examine the camera for a gift, punctures, scratches;
- In a difficult case, you should increase the pressure inside the chamber by pumping and squeezing it: place your ear to hear exactly where the air comes out;
- Gasmen have their own proven method: they apply a solution with soap to the alleged damage site, artificially create pressure and wait for the formation of small bubbles;
- And the last simple option is to fill a basin with water and place a damaged wheel in it; in the area with a puncture, as in the previous case, bubbles will appear.
Essential tool for gluing a bicycle tube
The most important tools for fixing a camera are:
- adhesive material;
- slightly different patch sizes.
So, what are we working on. Mandatory set:
Such a limited repair kit. “first aid” for a bicycle. allows you to repair vehicles wherever you are.
Special repair kit for gluing cameras
For professionals, there is an advanced version of the repair kit:
- Small size sandpaper;
- Chalk. a small piece is enough;
- Installation tool made of plastic;
- A bicycle first aid kit, in which you can find, in addition to glue, an extensive set of patches.
Repair kits from china for gluing bicycle cameras. How to properly glue the bike camera
We start fixing the camera by removing the wheel. To do this, simply disconnect the rim brakes and fenders, position the bike with the wheels pointing up. It remains to unscrew the bolts and separate the wheel from the body.
How to remove the tire and remove the camera?
By unscrewing the valve or simply pressing it, release the air from the chamber. Use the teat bar on the back of the bike teat as a lever to move the tire and remove it from the rim. Now take out the camera. and you can take up the tools.
A clean cloth, acetone, or benzine will help remove grease and dirt from the camera surface. After removing the protective film, apply glue to the surface of the patch. Press it against the camera and hold it until it “snaps”, which will take about 10-15 minutes.
After checking the camera, pumping it up and not noticing the air release, you can return everything to its original form. Check if the tape is tight. Place the bike tube inside the rim so that there are no creases. Use the fitting tool again to place the tire back in place. Once the wheel is fully assembled, proceed to mount it back to the bike.