Bike won’t shift.Lets fix that
Adjusting the front derailleur
- We put the speed switch in the following ratio: the smallest star in the front and the largest in the back;
- We unscrew the cable;
- Using the screw of the limiter for low gears, we adjust the position of the frame, it should be at a distance of no more than 3 millimeters from the chain;
- Stretch the front derailleur cable slightly;
- Switch the speed to the middle sprocket and check if the chain is touching the outer frame. If it touches, it is necessary to tighten the cable more;
- We put the derailleur on the smallest sprocket and check how easy it is to change gears. If the switch does not work, adjust the high gear limiter screw.
How to adjust the speed switch on a bike
Having become the happy owner of a bike, you should be prepared for the fact that over time you will have to carry out basic maintenance of the bike yourself. Of course, if we are talking about a serious malfunction, it is best to seek help from specialists, but many manipulations can be safely performed on your own.
Setting up the rear derailleur
- Setting the switch to the smallest star.
- Loosen the cable. To do this, unscrew the clamp screw located on the rear derailleur.
- Putting the front derailleur chain on the middle sprocket.
- We check the operation of the chain. To do this, you just need to twist the pedals. If the chain starts to fall, adjust the high gear stop screw. As a result, your rear derailleur and the smallest sprocket in front should be on the same line.
- Pull the cable tightly and tighten the bolt, which is responsible for fixing the tightening.
- We begin to test the switch by clicking each speed from the lowest to the highest. If the system malfunctions in a certain place, then adjust the tension of the cable until all speeds are easy to switch.
When adjusting the speed switch, be sure to remember that all manipulations with the cable must be done smoothly and very carefully. Be patient and avoid sudden movements. When loosening or tightening the bolts, do it gradually, no more than one turn at a time.
Remember that speed tuning is a very important issue that affects the overall performance of your bike. Therefore, take the drive mechanism very seriously, and once you have mastered the technique of setting speeds, carry it out systematically.!
Front derailleur features
The front derailleur has the following structural elements:
- high gear (H) and low (L) limiter;
- frame made of inner and outer edges with fastening screw.
Thanks to the design of this device, the chain is transferred to the chainrings. There is a special moving frame, it is through it that the chain goes. When we set the speeds, the frame advances and becomes under the desired star, it is she who carries the chain.
The front derailleurs, in comparison with the rear ones, have differences in some mounting parameters, but they all have one thing in common. they are not able to move the chain in the presence of any load.
Adjustment of the front derailleur will be needed if there are malfunctions when setting speeds or if there is friction, unnatural sounds.
Setting up your bike‘s gearshift system
One of the important components of a bicycle’s transmission is the speed switch; a safe and comfortable ride largely depends on the correct use of it. Every cyclist, regardless of whether he rides a mountain bike or a bike designed for city trips, is obliged to correctly adjust the gearshift.
The rear shifting device is designed to move the chain from one cassette sprocket to another, with additional chain tensioning. There are several differences between front and rear gear:
5 Minute Simple Bike Gear Tune-Up | Indexing, Cable Tension & Limit Screws
- frame. shifts the chain between the cassette stars, closes with rollers on both sides;
- guide roller. the chain hits it first, it guides it;
- tensioner roller. responsible for chain tension;
- parallelogram mechanism. a bundle of several frames, which are pulled by a spring;
- stop screws. needed to limit the travel of the switch to a smaller or larger star
- the spring is the most important element, it is responsible for returning or pressing the frame in one direction (that is, for the mobility of the entire mechanism).
Reasons for incorrect gear shifting at the rear derailleur:
- the cable is stretched;
- the return spring is poorly functioning;
- the cock is deformed (part to preserve the integrity of the frame and rear derailleur);
- the system itself was deformed.
There are several important parameters that affect the function and regulation of the speed derailleurs (rear type):
- size limit of a large star;
- bike type (road bike derailleur will not work for mountain bike and vice versa);
- capacity (maximum difference between the dimensions of the smallest and largest stars in the cassette);
- derailleur pitch (relative cable lengthening and device movement, for example, Shimano devices do not align with Sram in this property);
- type of attachment (with a removable / non-removable cock, directly to the frame);
- thrust (if the thrust is straight, then the cable transfers the chain to the large stars, and the return spring to the smaller ones.
To adjust the gear shift, you will need the following tools:
Basically, shifting adjustments are made after careless cyclists begin to shift from low to high speeds non-stop at once, resulting in the normal chain jumping over multiple sprockets. Our people sometimes do everything with the masters, this is, to some extent, true, but on the other hand, it is real and independent to adjust the gearshift devices. Rear derailleurs have forward and reverse thrust.
Disadvantages of rear derailleurs:
negative influence of surrounding factors on the mechanism;
Derailleurs are more likely to fail if a cyclist falls with his four-wheeled friend;
The movement of the device along with the chain in the same direction is performed by tensioning the cable, and in the opposite direction. by a return spring.
How to set up the front shifting system
This switch is much easier to adjust than the rear switch. First, carry out the same actions as with the rear mechanism, namely, tighten the screws and tighten the cable, put it in the groove next to the bolt.
How to adjust the rear shift mechanism?
Check the chain tensioner for bent before starting adjustment. We move it to the highest speed. We unscrew the anchor bolt, and make the cable weaker. We screw the regulating elements on the lever of the device and on the shifter to the end.
The point of adjustment is to put the rollers on the same level with a small asterisk. When we tighten the limiting screw clockwise, the frame will move to the spokes, and if vice versa, backward, away from the spokes.
Now we move on to pulling the cable, it should be placed in the groove directly next to the fixing bolt, tighten the cable. We fix it with an anchor screw.
The low speed limit screw is indicated by (L) high (H) it is important to tighten correctly, if this is done loosely, the chain will fly off the large sprocket or get stuck next to the spokes. If this is done very strongly, then the chain may not translate to a large star. So, the chain must be transferred to a low speed and unscrew the stop screw.
Now, on the contrary. we put the rollers of the switching device on the same level with the big star. Tighten the screw clockwise.
Now precise regulation is in progress. It is done with a regulating drum, which is placed on the shifter. The shifter is set to the highest speed. We set it to the next speed and pedal forward. the chain should move to the next sprocket. If this does not happen, it means that the cable is poorly tensioned. Turn the drum half a turn and try again. To reinstall on large stars, you need to pull the cable, on small ones. soften.
So, for fine tuning, you need to transfer the chain from the back to a large sprocket. Unscrew the adjusting screw counterclockwise, the roller will go up. The chain will become taut and the clarity of the gears will increase. The roller must not catch on the star! Better to keep a 5mm gap.
Preparation for commissioning
Before adjusting the bike speeds, you need to clean and lubricate the chain and derailleurs. It is also advisable to produce:
- inspection of the drive cable for the presence of rough bends that violate the smoothness of its movement along the inner surface of the shirt, unweaving and solidity of the connection with an emphasis based in the shifter;
- control of the condition of the jackets. in case of strong wear of the inner, often silicone insert, or the presence of fatigue fractures, their replacement is required;
- inspection of the rear derailleur and the counterpart of the frame (cock) for deviations from the vertical position. the rollers and the counter sprocket of the cassette must lie strictly in the same plane.
Also, before adjusting the speeds on the bike, it is necessary to loosen the cable tension and it is strongly recommended to turn the adjusting drums all the way. In the already tuned state, the following dependence is observed: the less the drum is unscrewed, the more accurately the system works, and also a guaranteed departure margin is maintained, which is necessary for instant compensation of the cable lengthening during the trip.
Operation: how to adjust the reverse speeds on any type of bike
Before starting the process of adjusting the rear derailleur, you should familiarize yourself with its configuration. The standard module has five adjustment elements:
- nut securing the cable;
- cable tension drum;
- limit screw for the lowest gear (Low);
- limit screw for the highest gear (High);
- chain tension screw.
There are three steps to how to adjust the reverse speeds on a bicycle.
Operation: how to tune the front speed row on a bike with two or three sprockets
Setting up the front derailer occurs only after debugging the rear derailleur. Before starting the process, you should definitely check two parameters here:
- parallelism of the inner frame of the chain;
- the gap between the largest sprocket and the outer frame of the dereiler (should be about 2 mm).
The procedure responsible for the task of how to adjust the forward speeds on a bicycle includes three key transitions.
Performed, as a rule, once. when installing a new derailleur and in order to prevent the chain from jumping off on the outer stars of the cassette. The sequence of actions is as follows:
- the largest star is installed in front, the smallest one at the back;
- the cable is released;
- adjustment is performed by turning the screw H clockwise or counterclockwise (the frame of the dereiler moves, respectively, to the spokes or to the frame feather) until the rollers with the smallest cassette star lie in the same plane;
- after that, the cable is pulled and fastened, the switch is transferred to the largest star in the back and the smallest in the front;
- by turning the screw L, they achieve a similar position of the rollers in relation to the sprocket.
High gear limiter adjustment (H)
- the chain is installed on the largest sprocket in the front and the smallest in the back;
- turn the screw H to find the optimal position in which the chain will be as close as possible to the outer frame of the switch, without touching it.
Guide to Action: How to Adjust Bike Speeds with Front and Rear Dealers
The gearshift module, capable of providing a comfortable gear ratio in all riding conditions, is the most vulnerable system on a bicycle. Smooth and fast operation of the rear and front derailleurs, depending on the operating conditions, is observed only for several tens to hundreds of kilometers, after which a qualified adjustment of the units is required. How this article will be useful to the reader and what we will find in it:
Operation of the transmission: how to correctly switch speeds on a bicycle in various conditions
Maintaining cruising cadence when driving on flat, flat areas or pedaling confidently and lightly on rough terrain. the transmission unit of a modern bicycle is able to maintain the gear ratio most suitable for an athlete.
Experts give the following recommendations on how to properly switch speeds on a bicycle:
- change gear only while driving;
- switch to the required sprocket only under conditions when the minimum load acts on the chain (it is advisable to reproduce this process at a high cadence);
- do not change gear when overcoming ups / downs (suitable stars must be selected in advance);
- on muddy, sandy and slippery areas, move in higher gears (deliberately increase torque to avoid loss of traction).
For your information. When driving on asphalt areas, due to the physiology of the knee joints, the cadence should be kept at 80-110 rpm. In some cases, it is allowed to reduce the cadence to 60 rpm.
With the correct implementation of the sequence of actions in the process of how to adjust the gear shifting on a bicycle, the following requirement should be attributed to the main limitations of the process of shifting gears. to exclude the skew of the chain, which significantly reduces its service life. You can avoid the latter, using the example of a 24-speed system, as follows:
- a small sprocket (1) is installed at the front, at the rear: 1. 4;
- front. middle (2), back: 4. 6 (7);
- front. large (3), back: 6. 8.