Eliminate the puncture
The wheel has been removed, but the puncture site is not yet available. To do this, it is necessary to deflate the wheel and disassemble it. If you do everything right in a short time, the damaged camera will be in your hands. The puncture site should be cleaned and sealed with a special pad, which will reliably cover the damaged area and prevent air from leaving the wheel. If the damage is serious, then the camera needs to be replaced.
Removing a bicycle wheel will not be difficult for you, and with practice, the necessary skills will come. It is also important to put it back in place correctly. The technology itself is simple and requires basic knowledge. If you do not want to go to the service, but decided to do everything with your own hands, then with a certain level of desire and diligence you will succeed!
how to remove the rear wheel of a speed bike
It’s no secret that any vehicle periodically needs repair and maintenance. The bike is no exception. And also sometimes this need is due to the desire to upgrade your bike. To prepare it for such manipulations, of course, the structure will have to be disassembled, and although a bicycle is not a very complex mechanism, still not every cyclist has an idea of how to disassemble the rear wheel of a bicycle.
Replacing the bike camera
To remove the tire and remove the damaged chamber, it is necessary to remove the remaining air: the cap is unscrewed and the wheel is lowered by continuous pressing on the nipple. If there is no air in the tire, which is more often the case with punctures, then simply unscrew the cap.
To remove the tire, you need special paddles. Of course, you can pry the camera with a regular screwdriver and even a knife, but it is better to have a professional tool. With the help of assemblies, the tire is pushed on from the side opposite to the nipple. As soon as it begins to pull together, you need to pry the sides a little further, until a sufficiently free part of the tire is formed, and it can be safely pulled off the rim.
You need to tighten it very carefully so as not to damage the rim, you should not use too much force. When the tire is removed, remove the damaged camera and install a new one. The nipple is threaded into the hole in the rim, then the chamber is evenly distributed around the circumference.
Attention! The camera must lie flat, without kinks, otherwise you will have to reinstall it. There must be a flipper at the bottom of the rim to protect it from the spokes. If it is torn, you need to install a new one or get by with two layers of thin electrical tape.
On top of the rim, the outer part of the tire is put on, this time, from the side of the nipple. When installing a tire, take into account the correct direction of the tread pattern. Usually, arrows are drawn on the tires, and in the upside down state of the bike, the forward direction is backward in the lower position. However, the rear wheel of a speed mountain bike is easy to go wrong, thanks to the cassette on the side. After mounting, the camera is inflated.
Removing the sleeve
We remove the cassette with stars using a special puller, a key and a whip. First, we insert the puller into the nut, then insert the key into it, put on the whip on the large asterisk, hold the asterisks with it, and unscrew the nut. Now that the nut is unscrewed, you can easily reach the cassette with stars.
Before disassembling the hub, the tension on the spokes should be loosened so that it can easily be pulled out of the engagement. When parsing this part, it is better to decompose all of its components in order, so that later you can precisely put everything in place. If necessary, you can replace the bearings, which, unlike metal components, are the first to fail. Timely service of the bushing will ensure its long service life, so do not neglect cleaning and lubricating the mechanism parts.
(7 Speed) Freewheel Cogs Removal and Installation
In the reverse order, the knitting needles are tightened exactly as far as they have been loosened, it is important not to overtighten them, but the parts must be firmly fixed. The cassette is put on the sleeve and tightened with a whip.
After all the procedures performed, due to which the dismantling of the wheel and its parts took place, you need to know how to assemble the rear wheel of the bike back.
Dealing with the problem
Removing the wheel from the bike may be necessary in various cases. For example, you have a puncture or your tires need to be replaced due to high levels of wear. But you never know what can happen. Someone will say that some kind of puncture does not require large-scale work. There may not be large-scale ones, but they are performed with knowledge of the matter. The quality of your work will determine how well you can continue to ride. And there is something to think about. Modern high-speed bicycles are produced by various companies and often with their own characteristics. It is on them that you need to pay attention.
For example, first you need to understand what kind of brake system is on the rear wheel of your bike. It is with him that all your work will begin. If you are a disc brake owner, then you shouldn’t have any problems. If the rim, then your actions will require a little more effort. If you forget about this kind of brake and do not release it, then you will never be able to remove the wheel, no matter how hard you try. So, we have decided on the brake, now we go directly to the process of removing the wheel.
When to remove the rear wheel
It is unlikely that the idea of unscrewing the chassis from the bicycle frame would just come to mind, unless, of course, a person specializes in bicycle dismantling. But this is a completely different case. Dismantling the rear wheel will be required if the following problems are observed:
- noticeable damage to the rim;
- complete wear when a wheel needs to be replaced;
- a flat tire or a burst tire;
- bulkhead bushing.
This includes the planned replacement of the rear sprocket system and chain.
Before removing the bike, turn it over and place it on the saddle and handlebars. It is better to remove awnings in the form of a mirror, bell and lantern in advance so as not to damage them under the weight of the frame. V-brakes are first released and disassembled, otherwise they will not allow the wheel to be pulled out freely. With disc models, everything is easier. you can immediately remove the wheel.
I must say that the removal process itself consists only in unscrewing the eccentric or unscrewing the fastening nuts from the axis of the bushing, who has something. If the mount is an eccentric, simply unscrew the handles and twist the wheel. The nut fastening is loosened with one or two wrenches.
How To Remove/Install Cogs On A Freewheel
Usually one wrench of the appropriate size is enough, with which the nuts are removed one by one. If the hub axle turns, then the nuts are unrolled simultaneously in different directions. It is recommended to use open-end wrenches or box wrenches. The adjustable version is undesirable, as its thick horns eat up the corners of the nut due to a loose fit and sliding.
How to remove a rear wheel from a mountain bike
How to remove the rear wheel and sprockets from a speed bike with disc brakes?
The bicycle is the most popular and convenient means of transportation. It is convenient and comfortable to travel on it both in the city and off-road. High-speed bicycles provide a lot of opportunities to feel comfortable even on a rather problematic road. But in order for your pet to continue to delight you, he needs appropriate care, and the owner’s ability to cope with unforeseen circumstances will also come in handy.
To get started, make your work environment comfortable: flip the bike over on the handlebars and position it so that you have free access to the wheels from different sides. And here we also remember the brakes. If your brake is hydraulic, then these models absolutely do not like being held upside down. And in case of replacing the rear wheel, you should bleed the brake so that no air would get into it. Do not ignore this moment, despite its laboriousness, if you want your brakes to remain as reliable.
There are various types of wheel attachment to the axle. If it is on nuts, then your actions are not difficult and understandable. If the option is an eccentric, then you should not be intimidated by complex names. The process is pretty straightforward. Move the chain to a smaller sprocket. On the left side of the hub is a lever that controls the eccentric clamp. Unscrew this lever by rotating it counterclockwise 180 degrees, but do not rotate around the hub axis. There is a special nut on the right side of the sleeve, which should be unscrewed a few turns.
Bicycle sprocket design
The mechanism externally has several stars of different sizes, which are fixed with a bushing. After that, everything is connected with a lock nut.
- The usual version is that the stars are connected to each other by a plastic spacer;
- Spider cassette. cassettes made in the form of stars, fixed on an aluminum frame;
- On several spiders. devices that have a high cost and are usually installed on professional and expensive models. The appearance has 2 spiders, which are connected by sets of stars;
- X-Dome is a monolithic system that connects the drum to the lid on the opposite side;
- OpenGlide. Most Relevant for Road Bikes.
How to remove the bike cassette
First of all, you need to prepare the necessary tool:
- cassette retaining ring remover;
- whip. a special key to which a bicycle chain is attached (fragment);
- adjustable wrench.
You can, of course, do without the specified specific tool. over, there are 2 such methods and both will work 100%:
Be sure to prepare an area with a flat surface, which should be within arm’s reach of the bike. this is how you can save and not lose all the parts of the bike cassette.
Step-by-step instructions for removing the cassette:
- The bicycle wheel is removed, a special puller is installed. You need to pay attention to the correct installation of this tool: its slots must completely enter the grooves of the retaining ring.
- A whip is taken in your hands, put on the sprocket in such a way that the fragment of the bicycle chain on the key is on the teeth of the sprocket. Please note that the whip handle should be to the right of the cassette, a fragment of the tool chain. at the top.
- An adjustable wrench is placed on the cassette remover and rotated counterclockwise. Simultaneously with this movement, it is necessary to firmly hold the whip key in the fixed position. thus, the movement / scrolling of the sprocket is blocked. Note:in some cases, the chain may jump off during this process, which means a strong wear of the cassette sprockets or a broken key whip. Experts recommend putting a whip on a large sprocket. you can get the desired fixation effect.
- The retaining ring is completely unscrewed, the cassette is removed.
Be sure to make sure that the removed cassette, as well as the sprockets and all fasteners, are in the removable form exactly in the order in which they were in the original version.
After removing the cassette, you can start cleaning and lubricating it. these procedures are among the mandatory for regular maintenance of a two-wheeled vehicle.
Removing the cassette without a stripper
If it is necessary to change the cassette, many owners are faced with the problem of the lack of a tool to perform such work. Obviously, it cannot be in every home, since the puller has a specific design. The purchase of a special tool will not force you to say goodbye to a large amount. However, cyclists only in isolated cases decide on additional costs. This is because, as an alternative, you can create a tool for self-removal of sprockets.
To make it, you need to get four copies of self-tapping screws, a strong wooden stick (40 x 20 x 300), a screwdriver and an old chain. The latter can always be found in any cyclist who respects his vehicle. It is not recommended to change screws for nails.
The old chain must be attached to the edge of the stick with four self-tapping screws. Further, when removing the rear cassette, the cyclist puts on it a chain from an impromptu whip. Then. unscrews the nut.
It is possible to unscrew the nut in the absence of a whip and a puller, but it will be very difficult. This option is suitable if the nut is not tightened sufficiently.
To unwind, you need to take a flat screwdriver and a hammer. The working edge of the screwdriver is placed on the splines of the nut, and then gently hit on the handle with a hammer. If everything is done correctly, the nut should gradually give way, starting to unwind. It is important not to overdo it with the force of impact, so as not to damage the splines of the nut.
Stages of installing new stars
How does assembly work when replacing a bicycle cassette chainring?
- Install a new sprocket and fix it.
- We assemble the cassette completely in the reverse order.
- Using a puller, mount the drum to the slotted area.
- The drum must first be leveled.
- Next, we carry out the process of assembling the bushing. All actions described in the first paragraph are carried out in reverse order.
- Install the rear wheel and fix it securely.
- Put on the chain.
It is imperative to check the smooth operation of the transmission. This procedure involves adjusting the rear derailleur.
If everything is carried out according to the proposed instructions, feel free to get on the bike and enjoy the ride.
Star stripping process
How to change the rear sprocket on a bike after the first stage has already been passed.
How To Remove Freewheel Without Remover Tool
- Removing the mount.
- Detach the cassette from the rear wheel.
- We make a thorough inspection.
- Determining Wear Sprockets.
- We remove the worn out product.
- Pay attention to the arrangement of the stars and the sequence of fasteners and washers between them.
Cassettes compare favorably with ratchets in that each worn part can be freely removed separately.
A separate recommendation would be to replace the chain, which is also worn out, along with the sprocket.
How to remove the sprocket from the rear wheel of a speed bike
A speed bike drivetrain consists of three main elements: a derailleur on the rear wheel, a derailleur (shifter) on the handlebar, and a set of sprockets. The latter bear a heavy load, so they are subject to rapid wear. Before removing the sprocket from the rear wheel of a speed bike, you need to learn how to do it correctly. Errors made during disassembly will lead to damage to the part, or failure of the ratchet bearings (it all depends on the type of design).
Step-by-step instructions for parsing:
- The bike is installed with the wheels upwards and is in a stable position. The bike must stand on a flat surface and not carry out additional movements that can adversely affect the removal of parts;
- We remove the wheel located at the back, this can be done using a wrench of the appropriate size. The chain for parsing the star is removed in order not to interfere;
- With a whip we fix the cassette in one place, we untwist the cassette itself using a puller put on the nut;
- After that, we remove the plastic ring, which serves as a kind of protection and establish a further front of work (directly install a new one or try to clean and lubricate the parts).
DIY bike repair: rear hub
Of course, to care for your bike, you need to understand how it works. Of course, in the structure of the iron horse there are many complex and incomprehensible at first glance, but this is not a reason to close our eyes to this. You need to look at the bike from different angles. Today we will not talk about the whole bike in general, but we will focus on what is in the area of the rear wheel of the bike, in particular, on the axle.
Features of the
The rear axle of the wheel is stationary and is located in a special movable hub of the same wheel. It is precisely such bushings that provide the movement of the wheel, and they do this due to the fixed axle. In order to better understand where the rear axle is, note that it is next to it that the spokes are already attached. If something happens to the cones, bushings or the rear axle, the entire rear wheel mechanism will have to be disassembled and repaired. Therefore, it is extremely important to ensure that everything connected to the rear axle remains intact and safe.
Of course, there are situations when something in the axle breaks. Fortunately, such situations are not desperate. If something breaks, and you still do not understand which side to turn the necessary nut and where to put the cones, the Internet will help you. And we, in turn, will help you navigate the difficult repair business.
- First of all, you need to understand that everything related to the rear bicycle axle is a very delicate matter, which means that you need to approach it carefully so as not to make it worse.
- It is important not to lose a single detail, even a small one. Even if you lose a small nut or cone, it will be difficult for you to finish the axle repair without them.
- The first step is to remove the rear axle of the bike hub, as well as the sprocket block. Of course, when removing it, it is better to put the bike on the side where this block is not.
- After you remove the rear sprocket block, you will need to remove the bearing ring.
- Everything should be in order, you can see for yourself when, after disassembly and removal, a bunch of small details appear in front of you. Therefore, it is important for the crane that every little thing must have its place.
But all this is only a preparatory stage in the repair of the rear axle, because the most difficult is still ahead. After you put all the parts in order, and the nuts, cones, etc., as for the bushings will not be scattered in different directions, you will need to remove the bushing screw.
The bushing will then need to be cleaned and all components carefully inspected. This will facilitate the process of further lubrication, which takes place in two stages. This business also needs to be treated as responsibly as possible, because taking care of the axis is an art, and it does not tolerate haste. Before inserting the sleeve into place, the bearings must be returned to their places. Then you can gradually return each part to its place. This is how the assembly process ends, and with it the repair process.
In summary, a key part of a bicycle, the rear axle, deserves to be cared for. Do not be afraid of this difficult process, after the first time it will no longer seem so difficult.