Sealing the camera on the bike
Lovers of fresh air switch to a bicycle for a pleasant pastime or to get to work, which is economical and useful. A road accident can happen any time the wheel is deflated. A beginner may be faced with the question: how to glue the bicycle camera at home so as not to contact the service.
If you have a bicycle, then sooner or later you will encounter a situation such as a punctured camera.
Preparing the camera
To find the puncture site and make repairs, you need to remove the wheel from the bike.
You will need to disassemble the bicycle wheel, seal the hole and put everything back.
On mountain and sports bikes, the wheel is latched and removed in half a minute. Simple road bikes will require a wrench.
How to remove it correctly
When disassembling, you need to remove the cap, unscrew the valve and deflate the bicycle wheel, so it is easier to reach the camera. With a plastic mounting we hook the rim in several places, 2-3 points are enough to pull out the bike camera. Instead of a mounting, you can insert a screwdriver or an ordinary spoon to bend the tire away from the rim. Gently pull the camera out of the tire, and you can start looking for the place of damage.
For an experienced cyclist, this procedure takes about 15 minutes, a beginner will need about half an hour.
- You can find the puncture site by ear. To do this, you need to pump up the chamber a little and listen to where the air comes out. Place a mark with electrical tape or chalk where a patch is needed.
- It is easier to locate the hole with a bowl of water. We lower the pumped-up camera into the water and fix the place where the air exits, you can insert a match into the hole. But before you seal the puncture site, the camera must be dried.
- The hole can be found with a soapy solution, this will dry the chamber faster and keep the patch clean. Add 3-4 drops of dish detergent to a glass of water, whip up the foam and apply it with a sponge on the surface of the camera. The puncture site will bubble.
Before starting repair work, pay attention to the condition of the rubber. Severe abrasions and many small cracks signal that it’s time to change the camera, and not glue it.
Carefully remove the nipple from the rim and take out the camera.
The better to glue the camera
When riding a bike, you should always have the necessary set of wheel removal keys and a repair kit with you. It will help at home and in the field when repairing a puncture. Driving on a flat tire may compromise the integrity of the tire and deform the rim. This will result in a wheel change, which is an expensive purchase.
First of all, you need glue, which, after drying, retains elasticity, i.e. does not harden.
The required set is very limited, which allows for repairs in almost any conditions.
Using a repair kit
Novice bike enthusiasts often ask themselves the question: how to seal the bicycle camera with a repair kit. Detailed instructions are written on the packaging, but the sequence of the process can be confused.
Carefully study the instructions that come with such a kit.
The kit includes: 5-6 rubber pads for all types of damage, special quick-drying glue, a piece of sandpaper to clean the joints, a bottle of acetone for surface degreasing and plastic assemblies. There are kits sold with self-adhesive adhesive patches. It is enough to remove the protective film from the cover and apply it to the cleaned surface of the camera. Removing such a patch is quite problematic from rubber, so when applying it you need to be careful and precise. The patch will serve until the camera is replaced, they can be applied countless times.
The adhesive composition is enough for the number of patches that are attached.
In order to glue tires on their own, several compounds are sold, moisture resistant and designed for difficult working conditions. for heavy loads.
It is not really a glue, but a cold vulcanization agent, which is much more effective.
Types of glue for repairing a bicycle camera:
- Moment. Suitable for universal, “crystal”, “extra” and rubber. These compounds are used for all rubber compounds. Complete drying of the patch takes 24 hours. For quick repairs, pay attention to the “superglue” from this series. It is sold in small tubes that you can always have with you and use when needed.
- Tip Top SC. Consists of two components. It is used at a temperature of 10-25 degrees. Demanding for cleaning and degreasing glued surfaces. To obtain glue, mix 10 grams of base and a drop of hardener, smear the joints and press them together. The camera will be ready for travel in 10 minutes.
Quite a rare two-component adhesive, but one of the most tenacious.
If it is impossible to properly repair the wheel in the field. PVC insulating tape or stationery tape will help you get home. The method is very unreliable, but it will help to drive several kilometers.
As a temporary measure. quite yourself, in other cases it is better to take a specialized glue for rubber.
It is necessary to disassemble the wheel and find the puncture site. In case of minor damage, carefully wrap the camera over the puncture for 2-3 layers. Insert the tube into the tire with extreme care, without breaking the “wrapper”.
This method can help you get to the house, where it will already be possible to seal the camera properly.
How to glue with your own hands
Beginner cycling enthusiasts know little about how to remove a wheel, disassemble it and which side to glue the patch to the bicycle camera. Have to learn how to deal with it yourself.
To begin with, we just try to find the place of damage by carefully examining the surface of the camera.
Bonding a patch
- Match the patch to the size of the puncture. It should be more than two centimeters in diameter larger than the hole. You can cut the patch yourself from the old tire.
- Sand the puncture site and patch with sandpaper. This will improve the adhesion of surfaces.
- Wipe the bonding area with a degreaser. It can be gasoline, acetone or any solvent.
- Remove the protection from the purchased patch and press firmly against the puncture site. The adhesive composition will dry in 5-10 minutes.
- If the patch is cut by yourself. Spread the glue with a thin layer of the camera and the patch, after 1-2 minutes attach it to the bonding site.
Adhesives are best applied in two stages. Apply a thin layer to the camera and patch and dry for 5-15 minutes depending on the air temperature. Then apply a second coat and dry again for 5-15 minutes. Place a patch over the puncture site and press down hard. Responsible adhesive joints are punched with a hammer through the gasket. The composition dries from 5 minutes to several hours, depending on the adhesive base.
While the glue dries, inspect the inside and outside of the tire, you may find a piece of glass, a nail, or something that damaged the camera.
Once dry, you can gently slide the camera back into place. We pump up the wheel a little so that there are no creases, and the camera stands straight. We remove the assemblies and completely inflate the wheel. You can go.
This tape is placed between the tube and the tire for additional protection.
You need to purchase protection by footage equal to the circumference and width of the wheel. To install, you need to disassemble the wheels and lay the tape between the tube and the tire.
Anti-puncture tape is a strip of soft, rubberized plastic or, in more expensive products, Kevlar.
It is not difficult to glue the patch, but you should avoid hitting sharp objects. With each puncture, the strength and reliability of the wheels decreases, which can be unsafe at high speeds on highways and with increased loads on mountain trails.
If you have your own secrets on how to glue a bicycle camera at home. share them in the comments.
How to quickly glue a bike camera
If you have a bicycle, then sooner or later you will face such a situation as a punctured camera. How to glue a bike camera?
There is one hundred percent life hack. put your bike at home and never use it. For all other cases. we wrote this article.
What glue to use
What is the best camera glue? Let’s analyze all the pros and cons.
First of all, you need glue, which, after drying, retains its elasticity, that is, does not harden. This is understandable. It is difficult to create a completely fixed connection on a flexible surface, therefore, the parts fastened together with a hardening compound will disperse over time and require repeated repair.
Therefore, all kinds of superglues such as “Seconds” and “Cosmofen” based on cyanoacrylate are not the best choice. As a temporary measure. quite yourself, in other cases it is better to take a specialized glue for rubber.
Let’s take a quick look at what the market offers us.
A line of all kinds of adhesives for rubber, the most famous of which is “Moment”.
Affordable, inexpensive, if you’re in no rush. a good choice.
Red Sun, which is included in the bike camera repair kit. If you believe the instructions, then this is not really glue, but a cold vulcanization agent, which is much more effective.
Tip Top SC 2000. A fairly rare two-component adhesive, but one of the most tenacious.
- Used for gluing industrial rubber conveyor belts.
- Similar to cold vulcanization in action.
- Drying time: 2 to 4 hours.
What should the repair kit consist of?
Bicycle tube repair consists of several steps. All of them can be done without any problems both at home and on the road. You will need to disassemble the bicycle wheel, seal the hole and put everything back together. For an experienced cyclist, this procedure takes about 15 minutes, a beginner will need about half an hour.
Removing a wheel from a bike
- First, we disconnect the brakes (if they are rim) and remove the fenders if they interfere with dismantling.
- We turn the bike upside down, lean on the handlebar and seat. Some people call this “mounting position”.
- We unscrew the retaining bolts or eccentrics and remove the wheel.
How to remove the tire and remove the camera
- We release air from the chamber. This can be done by unscrewing the spool from the nipple, or simply by pressing the spool, wait until the air is released.
- On the opposite side of the nipple, insert the mounting, perpendicular to the plane of the wheel, trying not to touch the camera.
- Using the assembly as a lever, we move the tire by the rim, in a small area.
- Then we remove the tire from the rim with our hands.
- Carefully remove the nipple from the rim and take out the camera.
How to find the place of damage
Now it remains to find the puncture site. How to do it. there are many options, we will list the main ones:
- To begin with, we just try to find the place of damage by carefully examining the surface of the camera. If this succeeded, we proceed to repair.
- If the puncture site is not visually determined, we slightly pump it up and squeeze it, listening to see if the air is coming out where.
- If this does not help, use the old method of gasmen. apply soap solution to the suspicious place and build up pressure again. Bubbles will form at the site of damage.
- Another way is to immerse the camera in a bowl of water. Determine the puncture site by air bubbles.
How to properly glue the camera
- We clean the area for repair from pollution, degrease with alcohol or solvent.
- With sandpaper (without fanaticism) we wipe the place where we will glue the patch in the future. In fact, you scratch the surface slightly, in such scratches the adhesive holds better than on a smooth surface, and the connection becomes stronger.
- Act according to the instructions for use of the glue.
- If you need to press the gluing site for a long time. use the weight.
- While the glue is drying, inspect the inside and outside of the tire, if you suddenly find a piece of glass, a nail, or whatever has damaged the camera. If this is not done, then there is a chance to step on the same rake again.
How to put the wheel back together
- We pump up the camera and check the quality of our repairs, looking for missed damage.
- Letting out the air.
- Carefully place the camera inside the tire.
- Using the mounting kit, we install the tire and the camera on the rim, it is better to pump it up a little beforehand.
- The wheel is fully inflated and locked into place.
What to do if there is no glue
Repairing a bicycle tube without glue is also possible, but in two cases:
- You don’t have a repair kit at hand, the main task is to reach home. The main thing here is to create pressure in the chamber, which will press the patch. The patch can be made from electrical tape, a piece of a plastic bag, in a word, from any material that does not allow air to pass through.
- On the contrary, the most professional and expensive option is vulcanization. In this method, the camera and the patch are tightly pressed against each other and, under the influence of temperature, actually fuse together. If you have heard about the fact that you can seal the camera with raw rubber. this is just the way. Of course, this is more reliable than a glue joint, but at home it is better not to do this. For vulcanization, heating to 100 degrees and subsequent heating of 80 degrees is necessary. Even if you take the risk and do not regret the last iron, then there is a great chance to just ruin the camera.
Tips on how to avoid punctures
- Inflate the wheel correctly. Over or under pressure is your enemy. The tire indicates the range of minimum and maximum allowable pressure.
- Monitor the condition of the tire. A worn tire does not protect the tube well from punctures.
- See where you are going. If possible, avoid items that are potentially dangerous: shards of bottles, sharp pieces of metal, etc.
- Ramming curbs is also not a good idea. There is a big risk of getting two holes in the camera at once.
- Experienced cyclists advise. if you did run your front wheel on broken glass or something similar, maneuver so as to save at least the rear.
- There are tips for using a plastic or even kevlar-based puncture tape. This tape is placed between the tube and the tire for additional protection. Doubtful, to be honest. Expensive Kevlar, when wet, loses its protective properties, moreover, it is more designed for a cut than an injection.
- The sealant discussed at bicycle forums, which is poured into the chamber, does not protect against damage at all, but only serves as an emergency measure.
We hope this material was helpful to you. If you have your own secrets on how to glue a bicycle camera at home. share them in the comments, we will be happy to discuss. And as they say, good luck on the road!
We also recommend watching a video on this topic:
How to glue a bike camera
As it turned out, many of those who own a bicycle have no idea how to handle tires and tubes and have never seen the process of fixing even the most common puncture. We will fill this gap in education. So, we fix the punctured wheel or change the tire. The narrative implies a bike like MTB, for a road bike, in principle, everything is the same, with the exception of minor nuances.
Release the brakes on the wheel being removed.
The V-BRAKE brake pads are very close to the wheel rim. Therefore, in order to service the brakes, you must first unfasten the brake levers and spread them apart. You also have to release the brakes when removing the wheels. The procedures for unbuttoning and fastening do not differ in complexity and are performed within a few seconds, but for many novice cyclists, as well as for those who rode only domestic bicycles, this operation is not obvious, so I ask experienced ones not to laugh.
The release mechanism consists of a cable end and a clamp mounted on one of the brake levers. First, a rubber corrugated sheath of the cable. which is located between the brake levers, move aside the cable fastening screw and expose the entire cable tip.
Then, by hand, we move the brake levers towards each other, removing the tip of the cable from the clamp.
We lower the clamp down and spread the brake levers to the sides. Done.
Now you can change pads, remove wheels.
The most important thing in this operation. do not forget to return everything to its place later, and do not leave with the brakes unbuttoned.
Turn the bike upside down. You can do everything in a supine position, but it’s more convenient. Great is usually quite stable on the handlebars and saddle. Be sure to remove your bike bottle before rolling over to prevent dripping, and be careful not to damage the shifters and brake levers on the handlebars and the saddle itself if in the field.
We deflate the tire. We press on the spool in the valve and wait until most of the air comes out. After that, you can unscrew the spool completely and deflate the wheel completely. I do not advise unscrewing the spool without first lowering it. it can shoot quite hard. The auto-type spool is unscrewed by the antennae on the cap. After the camera is released. screw it back so it doesn’t get lost and dirty.
Why is it necessary to release the air now? If rubber “angry” and wide. in the inflated state, the wheel will not come out of the fork, the tire will cling to the brake levers. If there are slicks. you don’t need to lower it, but we’re changing the tire. all the same, the air will have to be released, and if there is a hole in the wheel, then this procedure has already been performed automatically.
We remove the wheel. Remember or mark with a marker on the sidewall how the wheel stood if it was in front and there are no other landmarks (like a magnet for a bicycle computer). On eccentric wheels. the eccentric is on the left side, and the rear wheel is on the wrong side. impossible.
Let’s get down to the process itself. If the wheel is back. put it stars up. If the wheel rim is single walled, the tires are usually easy to remove and put on with bare hands with little or no effort when the rims are double. most likely you will need mounting blades (assemblies). We are considering a difficult case. double rims. For singles. the same, only you can pick up the tire with your finger. If the wheel has been running for a long time, we push the sides of the tire inward, separating it from the rim.
The disassembly procedure begins with the part of the wheel opposite to the valve. We drive the assembly from above vertically downward between the tire and the rim. Having retreated about 10-15 cm, we drive the second one next to it. Not too deep, just so the hook of the bar can catch on the bead. Here is the main subtlety. make sure that the camera does not get between the mounting and the tire / rim, otherwise it can be broken. Everything must be done carefully and carefully, without applying bad efforts. Better to jump off a couple of times than a hole in the camera.
Click on the first mounting (1), turn it down 90 degrees (it becomes perpendicular to the plane of the wheel), lifting the tire bead outside the rim. Holding it in this position, click on the second (2), then press both down simultaneously. As a result, a 15-20 cm part of the side has already been removed. Move (a) the first assembly along the rim by 2/3 of the free area (1″), take out the second one, retreat 10-15 cm from the edge of the already removed part (b) and repeat the procedure “insert \ press \ pull” (2″, from). We get approximately what is in the picture. Usually after that, further removal of the bead is easily done by hand.
If the rim is very shallow and the tire is stiff, the indicated distances will have to be reduced and the number of de-beading iterations will increase. The principle remains the same. To repair the camera, it is enough to disassemble only one side, without removing the tire from the wheel completely.
Glue. Let the air out of the chamber completely. Dry the place of gluing and clean it with sandpaper until a flat matte surface is obtained. Do not touch! Apply a thin, uniform layer of glue to the camera on an area larger than the patch area by about half a centimeter on each side, and let it dry completely (10-15 minutes). While it dries. we carefully examine and probe the inside of the tire, in search of an object that punctured the camera for us. Otherwise, after assembly, we risk getting a new hole. If we observe a broken cord, cracks, etc. it is better to change such a tire. If the hole is made by a crawled cord. you need to pull out / break off this wire and put a patch on this place from the inside of the tire. And change it as soon as possible in the future. When the glue is dry. cut off one patch, remove the protective foil from the colored side of the patch, carefully apply the patch and press and iron it firmly, starting from the center. After that, the patch can (and should) be tapped evenly with a hammer, placing something even and smooth under the camera. In field conditions, you can step on it. Remove the transparent protective film from the patch. Everything, the camera can be mounted in place.
Putting it all back. We start with the chamber valve. we push this part of the chamber into the tire and insert the valve into the rim. Further, we move evenly in both directions, placing the camera inside the tire. In the process, you need to make sure that the chamber is not skewed, the valve should come out of the rim at a right angle.
We also start putting on the tire bead from the valve and evenly in both directions, so that there are less distortions. We fill the last section of the board with assemblies, if the strength of the hands is not enough. The same as when disassembling, only in the opposite direction. Slide the assemblies from below, hook the rim with a hook, raise the assembly vertically. the board slides along it into the rim. At this stage, you also need to be careful so as not to damage the camera with the assemblies, pinching it between the tire or rim and the assembly.
If everything goes very tight (there are such combinations of bad rims and bad rubber), the board can be soaped. No oil at all, it’s death for rubber! Gradually move forward and put the tire on the rim completely.
If we change the tire to another or remove it from the rim. you need to determine which side to put it on. Most tires have an inscription “Drive” with an arrow that shows the normal direction of rotation of the wheel. If there is no such inscription, then the tire is either absolutely symmetrical and it does not matter how to install it, or the manufacturer. lazy person. In the latter case, you can try to determine the direction of rotation from the tread pattern. Typically, evil rubber has a structure like “herringbone”, that is, the trace resembles something like this: ” 9. Put the wheel back on the bike. There is one nuance in the installation of the rear wheel, which is not described on this site. The articles there are calculated on the fact that you have a normal bike with more or less normal bodywork. But then there’s the Shimano Tourney and cock-less frames. In this case, following the advice to fully lower the axles into the fork eyes will not work; the rear derailleur is attached through an adapter that reduces the length of the right rear fork eyelet. In this case, lower the right side of the axle into the adapter until it stops, slightly tighten the nut, and by moving the left end of the axle, center the wheel in the fork so that it travels parallel to the longitudinal plane of the bike, and not to the side. The easiest way to do this is by controlling the clearance between the rim and the right and left stays of the rear fork. it should be the same if the rear wheel is correctly assembled and centered. When the wheel is exposed. finally tighten the nuts. If the wheel is attached with eccentrics, the procedure is a little more complicated, but the principle is the same. However, I have never seen eccentrics on the rear wheel of bicycles with this class of body kit.
We pump up the wheel completely.
FASTENING THE BRAKES. In this case, you need to check that the spout completely enters the bracket.
How to glue a bike camera
No one is safe from a puncture on the road, even if your driving style is extremely delicate. This situation can happen to every cyclist and is no exception to the rule. Therefore, it is advisable to be able to eliminate the trouble yourself. The cause of a puncture can be either an unwanted sharp object on the road or a sufficiently strong impact of the wheel on a solid obstacle.
In some cases, it is difficult to close the puncture with a patch, for example, when the incision is large and located next to the nipple. Usually situations are less serious and the camera can be sealed with a minimum waste of time, using it further as a main or backup option.
Sequence of actions
First, you need to take care in advance of purchasing a special repair kit. It includes:
- Self-adhesive patches;
- Special float that can be used to clean the camera.
You will also need keys to remove the wheels (they must be carefully matched to the bike model). Purchased plastic assemblies will help wrap the wheel. In this way, you quickly fix the problem without changing the camera completely.
If the tube is punctured, when starting the repair, remove the wheel from the frame. To do this, with the bike upside down, you need to unscrew two nuts from it. Most often, this does not require special skills. Next, you can proceed to the side of the wheel.
Before starting the bead, carefully examine the surface of the tire for foreign objects that have already damaged the bicycle tube. If you accidentally leave it, then there is a high probability of more serious damage to the wheel during the bead. Then you need to unscrew the nipple. if there is a fixing nut, then it must also be unscrewed. Put the parts removed from the wheel in a separate place so as not to lose them in the process.
In rare cases, a bicycle tire is not removable by hand and it is necessary to use a razor. They need to be placed at a distance of 15 cm from each other, brought under the edge of the tire and pressed down. this will free part of the tire from the rim. Then you can take the whole camera out of the wheel with your hands.
The next step is to find the damaged area. To determine, you must screw in the nipple and fill the wheel with air. Sometimes damage can be seen visually, but this is extremely rare. It is better to lower the previously inflated camera into the water and reveal the puncture by floating bubbles. It can be highlighted with color (pen or chalk) or marked with an inserted match. After the bicycle tube is dry, you can release the air from it.
The surface of the flaw of the bicycle camera must be treated with sandpaper or a special float. Then remove the foil from the patch, apply glue to it and to the puncture site. The glue should dry for 7 minutes, after which its layer is renewed. We wait 5 minutes and connect the patch with the puncture, leaving the connected parts under the press for two hours.
In the process of drying, it is necessary to remove the tire from the rim and once again inspect it in detail. It is on it (inside or outside) that a damaging element can be located. If found, remove it, excluding new punctures for the old reason. Before reinstalling, pump up the camera and check it again by lowering it in water.
Bicycle wheel cage. First you need to put on a part of the tire on the rim and insert a tube into it. Then you can continue dressing the rest of the rim. Be extremely careful at this moment, trying to put it on the rim with your hands. You can help with installation, but very carefully, without provoking the appearance of new damage. The final action is to inflate the bicycle wheel and install it in its original place.
Camera repair during a hike
There are also unforeseen circumstances when you do not have the necessary tools and glue with you in order to seal the camera. The material for fixing the problem can be a rubber patch, which must be applied to the place of the defect and put the camera back. Then the wheel should be pumped up immediately. If the outcome is positive, the patch will firmly press against the camera, covering the puncture.
To summarize, you can safely say that it is not necessary to be a professional to repair a bicycle camera. Any cyclist who finds himself in such a frequent situation can seal the puncture and reinstall the wheel.
How to glue the camera
Puncture of a bicycle wheel tube is common and occurs quite often. If you rarely ride a bike and a puncture is very rare, then you can get by with replacing the punctured camera with a new one. But if you are an active roller, then punctures will appear very often and the issue of gluing the camera becomes relevant. In addition, when going on long cycling trips with one or two spare cameras in stock, it may often be necessary to tape the camera in the field.
In this article, we will consider in detail the question of how to properly glue the camera at home (and on the road), as well as the best way to glue it. First, we will consider the method of sealing the camera with a special repair kit. a bicycle first aid kit. Sealing a bicycle tube with a repair kit is the easiest, cheapest and most effective way, especially if you are on the go. We recommend this method. Next, let’s look at how to properly glue patches from this set.
Cycling first aid kit. bike repair kit
How to glue the camera with a repair kit
The first step is to disassemble the tire, pull out the camera and find the puncture site. If the camera is being repaired on the road, finding the puncture site can be a real problem. This will have to be done by ear and eye. It is much easier to find a puncture at home, you can lower the inflated camera into water, the camera submerged in water will bubble at the puncture site.
Finding a puncture on a bicycle tube
Next, we proceed to the direct gluing of the patch. The place where we will apply the patch must be cleaned and dried if the camera was immersed in water. Then we apply the glue from the kit, the area of the applied glue should be larger than the patch itself. Then remove the protective foil from the patch and without touching the lower part of the patch with your fingers, apply it to the camera. We keep it for about five minutes, remove the top protective film. To prevent the patch from sticking to the tire, the first one can be sprinkled with chalk, talcum powder or dust.
Apply glue to the patch location
We apply the patch without touching the part to be glued
The camera is ready and can be mounted on the rim. Be sure to check the inside of the tire for residues of the cause of the puncture and clean it. It is also worth checking the spoke protection, all spoke nipples must be covered with a special protective tape.
Do not forget to check the inside of the tire It is important to know that there are bicycle first-aid kits with patches that must be glued using the special glue included in the kit. And there are sets with self-adhesive patches. The latter adhere worse and hold less, so we recommend sets with rubber glue.
How to glue a camera at home without a repair kit
This method is more time consuming and, with little experience, is not effective. Here we will use patches from pieces of an old camera as patches. And as a glue, you can use any glue that can reliably glue rubber, including “Moment”. The process of gluing is similar to working with a repair kit, only the puncture site and the inside of the patch must be sanded with sandpaper so that the surfaces become rough.
What punctures are there
- A snakebite is a rather unpleasant type of puncture that occurs if the wheel is not sufficiently inflated or when it hits an obstacle hard. In such cases, the camera bites between the rim and the edge of the tire, two holes are formed nearby, which resemble a snake bite.
Puncture type. snake bite
- Puncture on the inside of the chamber. occurs due to the spokes sticking out inside the rim. In this case, after replacing or repairing the tube, you should carefully check the correct position of the protective tape on the inside of the rim.
- Cut. if the cut is short, it will not be difficult to glue it, but if the cut is significant, then glue the camera is useless. A spoiled camera can be used to make patches.
- Puncture on the seam of the camera. in case of such a puncture, it is necessary to clean the puncture site with sandpaper to get rid of the protruding seam. If on the way you did not have sandpaper, then you can use a stone or road surface.
- A puncture in the base of the air valve. such a cut cannot be glued and the camera can be scrapped. Such cases arise due to the presence of metal burrs at the edges of the hole in the rim where the chamber valve is inserted.
That, in general, is all that we wanted to tell you about how to properly glue bicycle cameras. In this article, we did not consider extraordinary cases such as repairing a camera without glue using a washer and other non-standard methods. A separate article will be devoted to this.
Share your opinion and leave comments in the block below!
How to properly, quickly and easily glue the camera
“Puncture” is not a problem for those who know how to properly and quickly glue the camera. Today we will teach it.
Everyone who gets on a bicycle sooner or later gets “punctured”. What to do in such a situation? First of all, don’t panic. Well, and then know that you should have at least a minimal repair kit with you whenever and wherever you are cycling. It should include:
- pump (how to choose the right pump. find out here);
- side blades;
Patches, glue and emery are usually included in the camera repair kit. There are also self-adhesive patches that do not require pre-application of glue, which means less time is spent.
A repair kit that every cyclist should have with him at all times
How to disassemble bicycle wheels
You shouldn’t have any problems with removing the wheel: all you need is to squeeze the eccentric handle, unscrew it a little and, when loosening, pull out the wheel. If you have rim brakes, you will also need to release them before doing this.
Having removed the wheel, we release the air from the chamber (if it remains there), after which we proceed to the border. Its essence is to release the tire cord by pulling it over the rim.
Then we take out the camera, having previously released the nipple from the socket.
How to properly glue a bicycle tube
When the camera is in your hands, take the pump, start pumping and at the same time look for a puncture (by ear or by touch). If the hole is too small to be found, use water (immerse the camera in water). But after this procedure, be sure to dry or wipe the camera in the place where you will glue.
This is what an average bicycle tube puncture looks like.
Having found the puncture site, we process it with emery. so that the patch sticks securely.
- Note! It is imperative to check the inner surface of the tire, since the cause of the puncture (glass, wire, etc.) may remain in it. In order not to check the entire tire, just look roughly where the puncture is relative to the nipple.
Then we apply glue to the area the size of the patch and wait for a while (a minute or two), after which we strongly press the patch to the surface.
After 5 minutes, the camera can be used again. Pump a small amount of air into it. so that it takes shape. Then insert the nipple into the hole in the rim, tuck the tube into place and fence the tire.
And in addition to the repair kit, always carry a spare camera with you. Believe me, it will not be superfluous if you have no time to glue patches and / or find yourself in conditions in which it will be impossible to do it.
Better to see once than hear a hundred times. Therefore, we attach a video with a visual example on how to properly glue a bicycle camera:
Would you like to receive our articles on social networks? Subscribe to our channels in. Telegram and !
How to glue a bicycle tube yourself
As a rule, a person who has a bicycle, one way or another, is faced with the problem of a puncture of a wheel. It’s one thing if the air comes out of the camera at home, but the problem that caught you by surprise makes you think: how to glue the bicycle camera yourself and what type of repair to choose?
This situation, unfortunately, happens to cyclists quite often, so it is advisable to have several spare cameras on hand. Going on a hike, it is reasonable to take with you a special repair kit (bicycle first aid kit), which greatly facilitates the task of gluing and saves time. But, you can do without the kit and properly glue the camera with your own hands.
Determine the puncture site
It may seem that finding the puncture site is not difficult at all, but finding the problem directly during the trip makes the task much more difficult. In most cases, the air passes through the “contact patch”, that is, the place where the wheel touches the ground. Most often, this is a maximum of 2/3 of the height of the bicycle camera. Also, the consequence of air release may be the loss of metal parts of the tire cord, or breakage of the rim tape.
The most popular ways to detect a slot in a chamber are:
- the traditional way is to place the camera in a shallow container of water. Then it is necessary to slowly rotate the camera until the desired air bubbles appear, which indicate the puncture site;
- if it is not possible to collect water, you can use fine dust from a dirt road. Increase the pressure in the chamber and bring it closer to the dust. Carefully moving the camera, we find the place where the dust scatters from the released air;
- in calm, calm weather, finding a hole in the wheel is quite simple. You need to bring the camera to the wet skin of your wrist;
- if the hole is too large, it is possible to hear the release of air.
How to glue the bike camera
Not every glue composition and not every patch can eliminate the resulting puncture. Let’s consider how and how to glue a bicycle tire to restore the initial state of the tire:
- a large number of bike manufacturers offer special repair kits. The box. case contains: chalk with the help of which the place of the hole is marked, a plate for sanding, glue and several types of patches that differ in size and shape;
- there is a variant of a homemade patch cut from a used camera. For this process, almost any glue for rubber is taken, which subsequently does not burst at the fold.
You will learn a lot from the video:
- a more reliable option is vulcanization, given that it is carried out by a specialist in a special workshop. It will be too difficult and dreary to do this work on your own.
You can reduce the likelihood of unexpected wheel damage by adhering to simple rules: adjust the pressure in the wheel to the desired level, change tires after wear, carry a spare product and an elementary repair kit.
Basic rules for applying patches
To begin with, of course, you should find the damaged surface. Having found and marked the puncture site of the camera on the bicycle, you can proceed to its direct repair. You must adhere to the following steps:
- it is necessary to properly dry the camera and completely lower it;
- We clean the damaged area with sandpaper or a special iron plate until a matte shade is obtained. The trimmed border will be wider (about a centimeter) than the diameter of the patch. At the end of the stripping, it is reasonable not to touch this place;
- remove the film from the finished patch and apply glue to it. The composition can be applied both to the patch and directly to the camera itself (or to both surfaces).
- firmly press the patch onto the damaged area for about five minutes, squeezing out all the air (press on the center, moving to the sides). It is much easier to place the product on a clean, straight surface and press down with the weight, stepping on top;
- it is not recommended to use the glued camera for half an hour.
You will learn even more by watching the video:
How to replace a bike camera
Going on a long cycling trip, it is reasonable to take a set of tools and an additional camera on the road, thanks to which it will be possible to change the spoiled one and continue the trip. This will help not to use glue mixtures and significantly save time:
- first you need to remove the wheel from the vehicle, then carefully wipe the surface of the tire and rim;
- we lay the wheel with its side and with the help of chalk we apply the markings opposite the nipple;
- unscrew the nipple, letting out all the air;
- pry the edge of the tire with a spatula for beading, pulling it out;
- carefully remove the camera from the rim and look for the damaged area;
- pump up the camera, finding and marking the puncture site. Next, we completely lower it;
- we apply a second mark opposite the damage;
- then gently push a new tire into the rim with one side, pulling the nipple into the hole. We put on another side and swing the wheel to the required volume, screw on the cap.
Wheel repair with a patch
Very often there are unforeseen circumstances when there is no special set nearby and, naturally, the thought arises: how to seal the damaged camera? A patch should be made by cutting it out of any raw rubber. It can be any old tire, automotive or technical rubber material. Almost any rubber compound sticks the patch, but it is not recommended to use household and fast-hardening types. How to properly glue the hole was described above, that is, the method is similar to how to glue the patch.
There are times in life when a rider was left without tools and glue at all, but you need to successfully get home. This requires knowing how to glue the camera without glue. We perform the following simple actions: we properly clean the tire and apply a patch to it so that, with powerful inflation, the pressure presses it.
If there is no patch, tape or a wet polyethylene bag will come in handy. In this work, the parts are glued only with the most smooth surfaces without cracks.
Find out how to do it yourself:
- the contacting parts must be clean and smooth;
- a constant maximum pressure should be ensured;
- wheel shock must be avoided.
If the trouble still overtook you on the way, you need to know in advance how to properly glue the bike camera and what glue is better to use. Then replacement and repair will not seem like a difficult task either on the way or near the house. Do not forget to regularly pump up the chamber to a certain pressure and change the time-worn parts of the “iron horse” in time.