Bicycle lights. parking lights
At night on the road, it is not safe for a cyclist to move without lighting devices. The road in front of the bike is practically invisible, and the rider and bike are not visible to large vehicles that move behind him. All this can lead to an emergency, a collision in the dark. To prevent this from happening, it is imperative to purchase bicycle lights. How to choose flashers for a bicycle, where they are attached, and also what are their pros and cons, we will consider in detail below.
Why do we need flashers and side lights
Flashing lights for a bike are essential, as is a front light, which is a complete lighting. Additional lighting. dimensions indicating the location of the bike, usually mounted on wheels, frames. It allows pedestrians and car drivers to see moving cycling vehicles in time.
When driving around town, headlights and headlights are required. Also, flashing lights are needed to move around the area at night, especially outside the city. Additional dimensions (usually red) will safely indicate the bike. it will be visible. In short, flashing lights clearly distinguish the cyclist on the roadway. With these accessories, the bike is visible from all sides and from a great distance.
In recent years, manufacturers have been offering red and blue flashing lights for police bikes. They are equipped with a sharp audible signal. This view will be appropriate for use by teenagers from 14 years old. it perfectly indicates the presence on the road. The size is also suitable for adults. to alert other cyclists and pedestrians. In controversial situations on the roadway, this flasher will help out too. This light option is recommended for use in rare, extreme situations.
Cycle lights for bicycles consist of:
- Housings. it can be made of modern plastic or metal, seals are usually made of rubber (protection against moisture and dirt penetration). Innovative aluminum cases with a special coating give the models additional protection against rainfall and durability;
- The main power source is disposable batteries or accumulators. A set of batteries is inserted into the body of the structure, as their energy is consumed, the batteries are replaced with new ones or recharged. Battery-sized models come with a USB charging cable. can be charged from any power source with a standard USB port;
- Optics. it focuses the light flux, makes it brighter;
- Light source. dimensions can be with different light: white, red, blue;
- Control systems. it is simple, with the ability to adjust to different blinking modes;
- Mounting kit.
Reflectors on a bicycle flasher can be smooth (longer visibility) and textured (more uniform light, but less visibility distance), they form the main light in the center and weak on the sides.
Front light. battery-powered headlights have high power and provide the maximum illumination of the road (from 5 to 30 meters) for a long time. They are designed to be mounted on a bicycle handlebar. Light scattering angle can be:
- narrowly focused. if you need to move along the illuminated streets;
- wide. for driving on suburban, rural or forest roads.
The side, rear and front dimensions have much less power, since they are not intended to illuminate the path, but to indicate the presence of an object on the road.
Blinkers are distinguished by the number of LEDs and the method of attachment.
Varieties of lanterns
For bike bikes, you can choose from a wide range of flashers.
Such models of dimensions are designed for a long service life, are resistant to mechanical stress. Flashers are economical and have high brightness.
Lanterns are designed to create directional light. Halogen models are not suitable for bike dimensions, they cannot flash. The downside is fast energy consumption.
Flashing lights add extra safety by emitting two red stripes on the sides of the bike. Models have several glow modes, persistent rays are not lost when illuminated by car headlights.
Cycle flashers have several different combustion modes. They can be selected and changed using the remote button located on the case. The main types, as a rule, are continuous glow, blinking and flickering with different time intervals. The blinking mode is twice as economical, for example, if the manufacturer guarantees operation in the glow mode for 80 hours, it means that in the blinking mode the envelope will work for 160 hours, and in the blinking mode 130 hours.
The blinking mode at night is more often used on city streets with good illumination, and on a dark suburban highway, it irritates the eyes of those driving behind, and does not give the correct orientation in the distance to the bike. Continuous light mode, on the other hand, ideal for dark roads.
Different models of dimensions for a bicycle, depending on the size, have different mounting methods:
- on the trunk, fork, steering wheel, frame. using a clip, hooks, clamps;
- on the pin under the bike saddle using a clamp, bracket.
In sets of flashers there are elastic bands of different sizes, or silicone, rubber mounts.
How to choose the right one
When choosing flashing lights for a bike, you need to pay attention to the following factors:
- size power should not be too large, but not small;
- charge indicator is an important and necessary option;
- you should not choose a bicycle light with a small number of diodes, from 3 pcs. a suitable option with good power;
- the body of the product must be waterproof;
- it is better to choose a mount that is reliable, simple and universal, for any model of bicycles;
- it is desirable that the working potential of the dimensions is long;
- preference should be given to models in which you can adjust the strength of brightness;
- the larger the angle of illumination is, the higher the guarantee that the bike will be visible on the road;
- it is advisable to buy a set of flashing lights for a bicycle;
Dimensions from well-known manufacturers are a guarantee of quality and long service life.
Mounting points, their pros and cons
There are several types of attaching flashing lights to different places of the bike:
- side flashers are installed on the spokes (the entire trajectory of the wheels is visible) and the frame;
- rear to the trunk, to the seatpost, to the belt or backpack of the rider;
- the front light is installed on the handlebars or helmet of the cyclist.
Personal rechargeable power supplies can be placed on the bike frame or belt. Simple mechanism makes it easy to remove the structure with the headlight and take it home.
Fixation of lighting is carried out using elastic fasteners (silicone, rubber clamps or straps) on the frame, fork, trunk, spokes or steering wheel. Such fasteners can be installed in a few seconds, they are reliable, but not durable. Over time, the retention of the bicycle light weakens, sub-zero weather also negatively affects the material.
Brackets are a mounting bracket. They are much more reliable, they firmly fix the lighting on the handlebars or seatpost of the bike. The disadvantages include a longer installation and difficulties in replacement in the event of a breakdown.
Detachable mount for flasher, this is the middle option between mounting and elastic mount. It is in the form of a half-cylinder rigidly fixed to the bike. And installation and removal of the flasher is quick and easy.
Body-worn fastening of dimensions is widespread. It attaches to the cyclist’s clothing using clips, Velcro or clips. When making a turn of the bike in the dark on the road, the rider raises his hand with a set dimension on the sleeve, and the likelihood that he will be noticed by cars moving behind increases. The installed lamp on the cyclist’s helmet greatly simplifies orientation in the dark. when you turn your head, everything will be illuminated. Flashing lights on the belt, legs or backpack additionally attract attention and make the bike rider visible in the dark.
The dimensions set on the bike allow the cyclist to feel much more confident. Bright lights of bicycle lights will promptly inform drivers of all vehicles about the presence of a cyclist on the track, especially at night. Possible emergencies will be excluded.
Liked? Share with your friends and rate the recording :. Add comment Cancel reply
To post a comment, you need to log in.