When you may need to replace the gearshift cable
As soon as the rear derailleur malfunctions begin, the first step is to check the condition of the cable for high-speed shifting. It is he who most often becomes the reason:
- sticking switching;
- or incorrect switching.
Why does the cable fail? Its main “enemies” are water and mud. Driving in the rain and slush? Didn’t rinse or dry the bike? Get ready for gear shifting problems. The cable will start to malfunction. At first, after purchasing a vehicle, this part is still protected by the factory lubricant, then you can hold out for some time on aerosol lubricants. But then the cable will still have to be changed.
But the replacement process, as already mentioned, is simple and takes only a few minutes. The main thing is to do everything correctly and consistently, guided by step-by-step instructions.
How to change the gearshift cable on a bicycle
One of the main features of cyclists in the CIS is that a good half of the riding season does not end at all. At any time of the day and at any time of the year, cheerful cyclists roam through the cities and forests. In this article we will show you how to keep track of the standing of your shirts and cables and how to disassemble the derailleur.
Causes of malfunctions
The first and foremost cause of poor gear shifting is usually a damaged cable and derailleur jacket. Replacing it is not difficult and identifying this malfunction is simple and easy. However, in order not to have to change the cable with a jacket once again, we recommend monitoring its condition.
Winter is ahead and this is an excellent time for inspection and replacement of the cable (if necessary). In order to check if the cable runs well inside the shirt, you need to do the following:
- Drop the gear to the smallest star.
- Visually inspect the jacket and end of the cable for damage or fraying. If they are, then go to step 8.
- Unscrew the cable retaining bolt on your derailleur (front or rear) and pull the cable out of the groove in the derailleur.
How To Replace Gear Cables. Mountain Bike Maintenance
- Pull on the shirt by the shifter to expose the cable. Check the cable for dirt. If necessary, remove it.
- With forward and backward movements, check that the cable runs smoothly. If the cable runs smoothly and without noticeable effort, we recommend lubricating the cable jacket for prevention.
- Instead of alcohol-based lubricants such as WD-40, we recommend using some winter engine oil. Up to.25 it can provide you with acceptable lubrication properties without allowing the cable to freeze in the jacket. And when you put your bike in a warm apartment, unlike aerosols, it won’t evaporate from your shirt. You will need a regular syringe and needle to lubricate your shirt. Having previously typed a few milliliters into the syringe and pushing the cable aside, insert the needle into the cable hole and inject up to 5 milliliters of oil inside.
- Repeat the forward movements from point 4 several times so that the oil spreads over the shirt. If you don’t need to replace the cable, you can proceed to setting the switch. How to configure the rear or front derailleur, we told in this and in this article.
- If you need to replace the cable, then you need to read the instructions for your shifter. Usually the cable from the shifter can be pulled out by dropping the gear onto the smallest sprocket and “pushing” it into the shifter. But first, check the “end” of the shifter for the presence of a dummy bolt in it. Before replacing the cable, this bolt must be unscrewed.
- If there is no plug (as in my case), then most likely the cable is pulled out by a simple parsing of the shifter. In order to make it convenient for you to disassemble the shifter, it must be removed. Difficulties at this stage can only arise with the grip. By clicking on the inscription you will learn “how to remove the grip”
- After removing the shifter, unscrew the top cover by turning the bolt counterclockwise.
- Important! Be extremely careful when removing the cover, make sure that the return spring does not fly out of the shifter. Push the cable as in step 8 until it comes out of its groove. Along the way, you can check the shifter for dirt inside and lightly lubricate the insides with the same oil. A couple of drops will benefit your shifter mechanism.
- Insert a new cable and assemble the shifter. Also, don’t forget to replace the cable jacket. After replacement, proceed to setting the switch from step 6.
Inspection and replacement of the shift cable is not a tricky business. With the help of these instructions and with a minimal tool, you can replace the cable yourself without going to service. Successful repairs!
In the life of every cyclist, a situation may arise when it becomes necessary to replace the gearshift cable on the vehicle. And it turns out that you can do it yourself, quickly and easily, without the involvement of specialists.
Replacing the cable in the derailleur of the bike
Since the replacement of the cable is a repair process, the manufacturer will need a certain tool kit:
- a set of hex keys (and that there must be a 5 mm key in it);
- and wire cutters.
over, the procedure for replacing the rear derailleur cable is almost the same as for changing the front derailleur. Only the latter will need to be set to light gear before loosening the cable clamp screw. Well, the designs of these two switches are somewhat different. you also need to pay attention to this. It is also worth remembering how the cables were laid before replacement.
Also, after the procedure for replacing the cable, be sure to adjust the rear (or front) derailleur.
Actually, the replacement is performed step by step, step by step:
- The rear derailleur is positioned directly opposite the smallest bicycle sprocket. The end of the cable must be cut and the clamping screw must be loosened. And first you need to remember in which part of the screw (top or bottom) the clamped end of the cable was located. Since this circumstance can have a significant impact on the correctness of the gear shift.
- With a five-millimeter hexagon (key), you must loosen the shifting lever fasteners, and then remove it. This will open access to the protection cover.
- The lid lock must be turned counterclockwise to remove.
- And when the cover is removed, the repairer can see the end of the cable under the large spring. And you need to take a good look at how it is installed there in order to understand how to get it out better.
- It is necessary to pull the cable out completely, helping the process through the channel of the tension regulator.
- To help the cable head release, the spring must be gently pushed back. And in the same way, it will need to be taken away when installing a new cable.
- A new cable must be installed in the vacant space. And you need to stretch it through the tunic at the location of the old cable. For convenience, you can guide the cable with the end of a thin screwdriver or even an awl. And at the end, it is better to make sure that the cable still stands up exactly as it should.
- Now you will need to return the shifting lever cover to its original position. And fix it with the previously removed retainer, turning it clockwise this time.
- The shifter is installed in its place immediately before pulling the cable into the sheath.
- The cable is pushed into the braid until the end of the cable appears in the area of the rear derailleur. And there is one significant nuance here. If the cable “does not want” to crawl into the braid, it gets stuck all the time and clings to something, it (the cable) will probably have to be changed.
- At the very end, you need to make sure that the rear derailleur is directly opposite the smallest of the bike stars. Attach the cable and fix it to the screw.
- Cut off the excess cable with pliers, leaving only 3 centimeters, and squeeze its tip.
After the procedure for replacing the derailleur cable on your bike, you must thoroughly test the functionality of the shifter. And the switch too. This must be done before the bike is fully exploited. You need to test it on a special stand. And if this is not done, then the brakes can fail at the most inopportune moment.
Just keep in mind that the bench test and the real road conditions can be very different.
We have a 6-position Shimano RevoShift shifter and a braided cable. The task is to replace the cable and squeeze it. The main waste is a new cable (thinner than the brake cable) for 120 rubles, which is at least 3 times cheaper than the cost of a new shifter.
This is how Shimano RevoShift looks like with a new cable:
This is what the new gearshift cable looks like:
But such a disgrace will be if you cut the cable and forget to compress it:
Shimano RevoShift opens by prying the latch with a small screwdriver (on the topmost screen, this is the lower latch):
Before this, the switch must be switched to a lower speed state in order to release the clamp and bring the coil to a comfortable state:
Then you pull out the bad cable and put the good one. During final assembly, the cable can be lubricated with an oil cloth for better movement.
The easiest way to crimp a bicycle cable is with a heat shrink tube:
Cut off a piece of heat shrink, put it on the end of the cable and heat it with a lighter. After that, the cable can be cut with wire cutters without the threat of unraveling.
The transmission unit includes the following main elements:
- Bicycle Gear Shift Knob.
- Front retainer to help the chain slide over the drive sprockets. It is attached to the frame near the pedals.
- A system of stars of various diameters and number of teeth, mounted on the connecting rods using special bolts.
- Rear derailleur, which is located in the area of the rear wheel and allows the chain to move along the drive sprockets of the cassette.
- A ratchet that includes several stars, differing in the number of teeth and size. On more expensive models, this assembly is fixed to the drum.
- Chain. Transmits the set speed from the pedals to the wheels. Requires regular cleaning and lubrication.
- Shifters. Through these elements, the cyclist controls the gearshift on the bicycle on the handlebars. A part is installed near the handles, the right shifter is responsible for the rear controller, the left one for the front controller. The principle of operation of the shifters is to change the tension of the cable, as a result of which the speed is switched.
- Ropes. They connect the shifters to the derailleur and are responsible for the correct transition between speeds, which largely depends on the correct tension of the cable.
- Shirt. This part is a rigid tube that goes through the cable and is fixed to the frame.
It is worth noting that matte gray elements are considered the most reliable chains. Parts with a yellowish tint are of poor quality and nickel-plated chains belong to the middle segment.
The state-of-the-art handlebar gear shifter offers new possibilities for optimizing riding on different road sections. On such a bike, it is much easier to perform various stunts, move along uneven and mountain tracks. The main thing is to properly configure the node in question. To do this yourself, you need to study the main parts of the mechanism, including the shift lever and transmission.
Front node setting
The types of speed switches for bicycles on the handlebars are indicated above. Next, let’s look at the adjustment of the front element. The assembly consists of the following parts:
- The frame through which the chain runs.
- Spring mechanism.
- Upper and lower stop (H / L).
- Retainer and cable.
How To Change Your Gear Cables
Setting up a switch consists of the following steps:
- The chain must be set at the front on the smallest star, and at the back. on the maximum analog.
- Using the hexagon, loosen the cable securing screw.
- Using a screwdriver and screw L, adjust the position of the frame so that the distance from the inside to the chain is 4 mm.
- The cable is pulled and secured with a screw.
- The second sprocket is adjusted after the chain on the rear derailleur has been moved to the smallest sprocket.
- Check if the chain is catching. If such a problem exists, it is necessary to tighten the cable tighter using the shifter. The distance from the chain to the frame should be about 3 mm.
- Adjust the third sprocket with screw H. If necessary, increase the gap by pushing the frame outward.
There are tons of brands focused on bicycle accessories on the market today. Some of the best derailleurs are the Japanese Shimano models and the American design from Sram.
Consider the modifications and characteristics of professional Shimano switches:
- XTR variants are at the top of the line in terms of quality and price. Modifications are lightweight, used primarily on racing bikes.
- Deore, Saint, Slx. used on bicycles of various categories with 27 gears.
- Shimano LX, Dura-Ace, Hone derailleurs rank third in this line, focused on bicycles with the maximum number of speeds.
- Tourney. aggregated with 21 gears, designed for a quiet ride.
These models can be divided into two groups: for sports and recreational driving. The first category includes the following variations:
- ESP 7.0. Derailleurs are made of very durable components, designed to adjust 24 speeds.
- ESP 4,0 / 5,0. have a cost lower than that of professional counterparts, withstand up to 24 gears, focused on tourist bike models. In addition, Sram 4.0 can be equipped with cheap hybrid mountain bike designs.
- ESP 3.0. designed for walking and city devices.
The question arises, which bike derailleurs are the best? There are no fundamental differences in the regulation and functioning of different lines of controllers. For example, eight-speed modifications of Alivio, Acera, Altus can be replaced with nine-speed analogs of Deore, LX / XTR. The same can be done in reverse order.
External analog and combined system
Most multi-speed bicycles are equipped with this mechanism. It is used on both mountain and walking versions. The switch device consists of a controller and sprockets of different diameters. The whole unit forms a cassette system, the position of the speeds in which is changed using the rear and front adjusters.
In such a device, from three to 24 speeds can participate. The adjustment of such a device can be done independently, having previously studied the principle of operation and the device of the mechanism.
The combined circuit is a mix of external and internal mechanisms. It is fixed on the rear hub. This type is not very popular, since it combines all the disadvantages of the modifications discussed above. The node is configured only by a specialist.
Principle of operation
Before you know how to adjust the derailleur on a bicycle, you need to understand how it works. The functioning of the unit under consideration consists in pulling the cable of the front controller, which makes it possible to transfer the frame to stars of a larger diameter. When the cable is loosened, the chain is thrown onto smaller sprockets.
The switching itself is carried out directly using the shifting type shifters located on the steering wheel. The rear is controlled by the right shifter, the front derailleur is controlled by the left analog. As a result, the chain is thrown among the front or rear sprockets.
Internal type of gearshift
This design is based on planetary bushings without the use of cassettes. There are only two stars in the transmission unit. All elements are hidden inside. As a rule, in such a mechanism there is no front derailleur on
the bicycle on the handlebars.
Such a device is used on recreational, road, city and folding bikes. The working system is located inside the rear planetary tube. It is better to entrust the adjustment of such a switch to specialists.