How to install a derailleur on a shimano bike. How to properly adjust the rear and front derailleurs on a bicycle: photo and description of the process
Despite the fact that the bicycle was invented a long time ago and, it would seem, should have been out of date for a long time, but this two-wheeled vehicle is gaining more and more popularity every year. Cycling enthusiasts prefer this type of transport due to its convenience, ease of operation, environmental safety and practicality. Not only ordinary bicycles are very popular, but also mountain, track bikes, which use modern innovative technologies. In order for the owners to enjoy cycling, they need to take care of it and monitor the condition of all parts and assemblies. If, in the process of cycling, you hear extraneous sounds, creaking, knocking and twitching during gear changes, it’s time to pay attention to such a detail as the gear selector.
The gear shifter is an important part of a multi-speed bike. Thanks to this component, it becomes possible to move in extreme conditions, which include upwind movement, ascents, poor road quality. The transmission unit must deal with all these problems. The quality of the ride and the safety of the cyclist depend on the smooth operation of the speed switch. This skill is very useful, and every bike owner should learn how to independently adjust the gear shifter. Every cyclist can make adjustments to bicycle shifters. You need to study the theory in detail by reading the instructions, or using the advice of experienced bike owners.
Before setting the derailleur, the rear derailleur must be adjusted. Placing the bike in the correct position (wheels up) will greatly facilitate the entire adjustment process. So, all the necessary details will be in sight, and it will be much easier to get to them.
Reasons for poor gear shifting:
- physical defects of the switch parts;
- contamination of parts. To prevent this from happening, the components of the transmission unit must be periodically cleaned of dirt, dust and old grease;
- worn out cable with elements of damage. Such a part requires replacement;
- damage to the cock.
If you observe damage, deformation and wear of the constituent parts, they must be replaced as they are practically irreparable.
If all parts are OK, adjust the switch. What does the speed switch consist of? The components of the speed switch are as follows:
- Handle for gear shifting located on the steering wheel;
- A shifter that attaches to the handlebars near the handles. Handles and a cable are attached to the shifter. It is with the participation of the cable that the impulse is transmitted from the shifter to the stars;
- Cassette, which includes stars of different sizes;
- front fixing mount;
- rear derailleur, whose main function is to switch the chain to the required sprockets.
How the switches work
Using the handle and shifter, the cyclist activates the required speed. In a certain position of the handle, the cable is pulled. As a result of this tension, the frame is thrown onto larger sprockets; when the cable is loosened, it is not thrown onto small sprockets. As mentioned above, bike setup can be started from the rear derailleur. Procedure for adjusting the rear derailleur:
- select the second star in the front block, and the smallest in the rear one and set the switch chain on them;
- The bike’s rear derailleur system has two bolts that act as stops. One is abbreviated as H, and on the other. L. These two bolts are used to adjust the high and low gears on the stars. If during the adjustment process any extraneous sounds occur, you can get rid of them using the latch;
- check the tension of the cable and, if the tension is not correct, use the regulator located on the shifter;
- Test the switching quality. If the switching occurs smoothly, no extraneous sounds are heard, then you did everything right.
What to do if you can’t adjust the bike’s rear derailleur
There are several methods for solving this issue. But if the standard tuning instruction did not work, to tune the rear derailleur you need to:
- dismantle the chain, remove the cable;
- move the switch to the chain position to the smallest star;
- use adjusting bolts (this way you can tighten the cable);
- set the adjusting bolt H to the extreme position;
- move the part called the parallelogram to the big star and adjust the position of the bolt L.
The regulator is fixed with screws. It must be set to the extreme position. After that, the chain must be displaced in this order: the front cassette is the largest star in diameter, the rear, on the contrary, is the smallest.
Bicycle front derailleur
The transition to setting this mechanism is possible only when the rear derailleur is set. This feature is important to take into account before starting work. The figure shows the switch (round, black).
Leave the chain on the middle sprocket of the front block and place it on the large sprocket in the rear block. If chain friction is observed, re-engage adjuster L. To adjust stop H, the chain moves to the largest sprocket at the front and smallest at the back. The adjuster will help you position the chain in the optimal position without friction and excessive chain tension. At the end of the work, be sure to check the quality of its implementation.
Correct installation of the front derailleur
You can start the front derailleur setting only after adjusting the rear derailleur. Installation is the initial step in adjusting the speed switch. It’s very important to do it right.
- before installing the switch, it is necessary to inspect the condition of the constituent parts and, if necessary, clean them of dirt and lubricate.
- Next, adjust the location of the front derailleur. On the frame, it should be located along the pipe under the saddle.
- Set the steering angle parallel to the drive sprocket on the front cassette of the transmission unit.
- Next, you need to adjust the gap between the underside of the derailleur frame and the top line of the teeth of the large gear. The gap should be minimal.
- Adjust the degree of cable tension.
- Place the chain close to the inside of the frame.
It is also worth paying attention to setting up the chain. The bicycle chain is a very important element, with the help of which the impulse is transmitted from one chainring to another and the adjustment process takes place. The technical condition of the circuit is of great importance for the operation of the entire system. If, for some reason, the bicycle chain is stretched or deformed, this cannot but adversely affect the operation of the entire transmission unit. To prevent this from happening, the chain must be periodically removed and cleaned, and then set the correct position. There are lock and lockless models of bicycle chains. They differ in the way they are connected. To remove the locking chain, it is enough to find the link with the lock and disconnect it with a screwdriver. The lockless bicycle chain is disconnected using a squeeze. This tool helps to push the link axle out and make the connector. If it skews for some reason, this can adversely affect the gearshift process.
One of the best manufacturers of bicycle parts, including derailleurs, is the Japanese company Shimano, which has a proven track record of producing products in which Japanese quality is combined with budget and price. Shimano derailleurs (fig. 3) are suitable for all types of bicycles. Shimano derailleurs are installed on both regular touring bicycles and mountain and track bikes with gearboxes up to 33 speeds.
Another recognized market leader is Sram. The products of this company are used on bicycles of the city bike category, as well as on sports bicycles. Sram products are of good quality and affordable price for cycling enthusiasts.
Every bicycle owner who prefers this type of transport to others is obliged to understand how to switch its speeds. It is believed that the more speeds a bike has, the better it is. But in fact, speed only allows you to improve the quality of maneuvering and squeeze the maximum out of the bike’s capabilities, so then everything depends on the dynamic efforts of the person riding the bike. Conventional bicycles have a simpler design compared to high-speed ones. There is less hassle with such a bike, but it also has fewer possibilities. In the transmission unit of such bicycles there are only two stars: one large and one small. Multi-speed bicycles, which have gained popularity in recent years, have two sets of sprockets in their transmission units: front and rear. Each cassette contains stars of different sizes. To switch gears correctly, you need to remember a few basic rules:
- If your bike is not equipped with a planetary hub, you only need to switch gears on it while driving, otherwise there is a danger of damage to the bike.
- During gear shifting, it is not necessary to apply significant dynamic forces, in order to eliminate the danger of a burst of flowers, it is advisable to change gears sequentially, without making sudden jerks.
How to set up SHIMANO shifters?
Setting bike speeds is a delicate matter, and you can have your iron horse in a special service. But it’s better to learn how to do it yourself, especially since this skill is extremely useful, and there is nothing complicated in it. How to set up a Shimano derailleur on a bike? Shimano Deore shifting is used as an example for the following instruction as it is the most popular.
To set up a Shimano front derailleur, you need the following set of tools: a screwdriver, a set of hex wrenches and pliers. The main task here is to correctly set the speed device at the beginning of the setup.
When the device is set up correctly, the bike chain can only extend 1 to 2 mm from the guide frame. The frame moves both horizontally and vertically during gear changes.
When adjusting the front derailleur, make sure that the frame is parallel to the chainrings. When the device is set to the largest sprocket (i.e. set to the highest speed), the distance between the ends of the sprocket teeth and the bottom of the frame should be about 3 mm. Shimano derailleur height and rotation are easy to adjust. just loosen the mounting bolt using the polyhedron. Adjust the position of the device, but do not tighten the bolt. you may need to move the device during the setup process. Now you can start setting up. Set the speed to the lowest. Unscrew the cable holder and release it. Then unscrew the grandmother of the cable tension until it stops and return it back 1-2 turns.
Now set the speed to maximum. You need to get the position of the device at which the gap between the chain and the part of the frame farthest from the frame will be minimal. This is done with the High screw. Rotate it, making sure that the device itself does not move.
Then test the speed control. To adjust the rear derailleur of the Shimano bike up and down, you can twist the grandmother, if the chain comes off the stars. turn the bolts: High. if with a large sprocket, Low. if with a small.
Rear derailleur setting
You can only adjust the rear derailleur after you have configured the front derailleur. The bike must be secured so that you can freely pedal and change speeds. Alternatively, turn the wheels upside down and fix on the steering wheel.
Turn on the fastest speed (smallest star). Loosen the cable by unscrewing the mount. Move the cable tension grandmother to the middle position so that you can loosen and tension the cable. The adjustment of the rear device is carried out, as in the case of the front derailleur, with the High and Low screws. The High screw is set first. You need to find a position in which the chain will be tuned exactly to the star, and will not slip and bounce on it.
Then shift the gear to low (largest sprocket) and repeat all manipulations with the Low screw. The setting should bring the chain straight over the sprocket. After setting up the rear device, you will need to tighten the roller. Set the front derailleur to the smallest chainring, the rear derailleur to the largest. Rotate the pedals back and watch if the roller hits the cassette. Adjust the roller with the tensioner bolt. After this setup, test it “in the field”. that is, in real driving. Try rolling on a flat surface, over bumps, or downhill. Pay close attention to how the bike behaves. If necessary, adjust the switches by adjusting the granny or screws.
Mountain Bike Shimano Rear Derailleur Adjustment
Any modern sports bike is equipped with a multi-speed transmission. The presence of a large number of sprockets, both front and rear, required the development and implementation of spreaders. However, the flexibility of the system did not allow the creation of dealers that would not be subject to regulation. However, you should not be afraid of it. All Shimano devices are identical in design and there is nothing difficult in setting them up. Knowing the instructions, any cyclist will follow it, even in the field.
The device and reasons for the failure of the rear chain spreader
The cable is fixed on the spreader. At the command of the shifter, it either loosens or tightens, thereby moving the frame. Despite the simplicity of the device, as many as five objects are provided in the design of the dereiler, which set the course of its work:
- Cage bolt with nut securing the cable.
- Chain adjuster screw.
- Drum that sets the cable tension (in more expensive systems, it is located on the shifter).
- 2 end position limit screws (L. low gears, H. high gears).
Why did the switch start to work poorly?
There can be many versions about this. One of the most common is the banal stretching of the cable and the sagging of the shirt. Occurs on new bicycles of any category after 200-300 km of run. Other options may be considered, or even variations thereof:
- The cable is fluffed up or there are bumps on its surfaces in places of bends.
- Shirts are dirty. They are enough for a maximum of two cable changes. As a preventive measure, flushing the internal surfaces of WD-40 can be considered (splash and move the cable along the guide).
- Bent cock (part that holds the “cross-link” on the frame). Sometimes the traditional Shimano bike rear derailleur setting does not work. In this case, it is worth inspecting the holder for bending. The rooster is leveled with a special machine or on a frame. Care must be taken when carrying out an operation on an aluminum frame structure. the material is fragile.
- Backlash in the spreader. It is revealed very simply. it is enough to stand on the side of the bike, grab the place where the cable enters and move it away from you. On Shimano Tourney, Altus equipment groups, backlash is allowed. The rest should be absent. The presence of large displacements introduces fuzziness in the switching mechanics.
- It is not recommended to lubricate the cable, especially with viscous consistencies such as grease. the effect of light switching will disappear quickly, and the lubricant will attract dirt.
- It is undesirable to deliberately lengthen or shorten shirts. there will be increased friction in bending points.
How to set up the rear derailleur of a Shimano speed bike: detailed instructions
There is a common belief among newbies that it is better not to go into the shifting mechanism. The argument is. I can’t, I’ll blow everything. However, there is nothing to be afraid of. self-adjusting the brakes on a mountain bike is no more difficult than adjusting the transmission. In addition, the shift index system is configured in such a way that it cannot be broken. The process should start with preparatory activities.
Preparing for surgery
Competent adjustment is unthinkable without cleaning the mechanisms. Sometimes it is enough to thoroughly clean the drive to transfer the gear selection to an adequate channel. Cleaning measures are as follows:
- Clean the spreader and cassette.
- Wash and lubricate the chain.
- Wash the rollers from old grease.
At the end of the preparatory stage of setting the Shimano rear transmission switch, the dereiler is disconnected from the cable. the screw is unscrewed and the cable is retracted to the side (it is not necessary to remove it). Before this operation, install the smallest sprockets at the back and front, guided by the recommendations on how to properly change gears on the bike without damaging the mechanisms.
Rear derailleur adjustment technology exemplified by Shimano Tourney
To fully debug the mechanism, experts recommend removing the chain. This is a common case. Having understood the essence of the problem of loss of working capacity, this manipulation may not be required.
The essence of the basic setup is to set the boundary positions of the switch. In this case, it is advisable to remove the chain. this will be more convenient. Standing behind the bike, we perform the following operations:
- Using the adjusting screw for the limitation of the highest gear (H), achieve the location of the cassette rollers and the smallest cassette sprocket in the same plane. There is one secret. if the device is not new and has backlash, the rollers are not aligned with the extreme star of the cassette, but literally by a hair’s breadth from the hub.
- Overcoming the spring force, move the derailer by hand to the extreme left position (closer to the bushing) and, turning the screw L, ensure the alignment of the plane of the rollers with the line of the largest sprocket. Again, if there was a difficult transfer to the chainring with the most teeth, the switch should be shifted a few microns closer to the spokes.
- Put on the chain.
The listed transitions must be performed when installing a new “switch”. Basic adjustment can acquire a separate relevance in the case of a deep revision of the drive, shirts and cables, but not always. The main criterion for the emergence of the need to adjust the limiting points is a violation of the clarity of the transition of the chain to the extreme positions.
Usually, setting up a Shimano rear derailleur for normal operation is limited to a quick tweak. To complete it, you need to hang out the rear wheel, which will require one of the following:
- Repair rack.
- Rear wheel stand.
- Ironing board.
- Friend’s help.
Theoretical and practical aspects of alignment
The essence of the final adjustment or readjustment during operation is to set the cable tension required for excellent operation of the shifter. This can be achieved by performing the following manipulations:
- Tighten the cable by hand and tighten the screw on the derailleur. The cable must fit into the groove in the washer of the bolt.
- Set the second gear on the rear transmission pin.
- Unscrew the cable tension drum located either on the shifter or on the spreader until the chain is confidently on the second sprocket (pull the cable).
- Check the clarity of the gear selection, switching from first to second and back. If the chain does not go well from the second to the first, pull the cable. In the opposite situation. loosen the cable tension.
The design of the SIS Index system is such that by adjusting the switching on two stars, the correct transfer is automatically adjusted for the entire package.
Note. If the chain is delayed on any of the sprockets, while on the rest the switching is within the acceptable range. the reason is either a worn out cable or large backlash in the spreader.
Briefly about the main
The idea of setting the rear derailleur from the Shimano line is to achieve an immediate busting of the chain of the cassette stars by the chain at the command of the shifter. There may be several reasons for the incorrect operation of the mechanism, and not all of them are eliminated by adjustment. There can be only two versions of poor functioning of the rear transmission, which can be eliminated by adjustment:
- The spreader has been in operation for a long time or has been replaced: adjust the border positions of the frame.
- The dereiler has an impressive resource reserve, but it went wrong. clean / replace the cable and shirts, adjust the cable tension by rotating the drum.
How to adjust the rear derailleur on a bike with Shimano Alivio?
The gear selector mechanism of a mountain bike seems complicated only at first glance, in fact, its adjustment is feasible even without the help of a specialist. Alivio mid-range equipment has an optimal ratio of quality and price, so it is less prone to wear, which makes it easier to align its components. You are unlikely to succeed in breaking the switching unit during operation. the design of the system is simple and reliable, but moral pleasure from an independently performed operation is guaranteed.
Conveyor device and reasons for its functional failures
Before adjusting the rear derailleur on a bicycle, it is useful to find out the reasons for the malfunctioning of the mechanism. The essence of the problem lies in the following points:
- Cable damage or lack of lubricant.
- Violation of the integrity of the cable jacket.
- Curved cock. fastening the mechanism to the frame of the bike.
- Worn chain or sprocket cassette.
- Jammed chain tensioner rollers.
- Steering wheel gear shift problems.
Shimano Mountain Bike Rear Derailleur Adjustment Screws: Technical Minimum
Despite the variety of parallelogram-type spreaders from the Japanese manufacturer, their design and principle of operation are similar. In the process of aligning the device, five elements are involved:
- 1. fastening the cable in the form of an embedded bolt with a nut.
- 2. screw for tensioning the cable with a drum.
- 3. a screw for adjusting the chain tension.
- L. limit screw for adjusting low gears.
- H. limit screw for correcting high gears.
Special screws L and H, which are used to adjust the rear derailleur of a bike with Shimano Alivio, physically restrict the movement of the mechanism, which prevents the chain from jumping off. In practice, they are mainly used only when debugging a new transfer device, subsequently the procedure is not needed.
In the event that the cock or the mechanism itself is bent, adjusting the stop screws can solve the problem for a short time. Their sensitivity is not very high, so 1-2 turns at a time are quite justified.
Technique: how to properly adjust the rear derailleur on a bicycle Shimano?
The procedure for repairing and debugging the chain drive units must be carried out on a clean bicycle. It is imperative to raise the rear wheel, for which they hang the frame on a hook or prepare a special stand.
As mentioned above, a thorough cleaning precedes a competent setting. Sometimes even such a procedure can have a beneficial effect on the performance of mechanisms. Technological aspects of the preparatory work are as follows:
- Clean derailleur and sprocket cassette.
- Clean old grease from tensioner rollers.
- Wash and lubricate the chain.
Next, you need to release the hummock, for which the tension screws at the shifter and on the rear spreader are screwed in until they stop. The cable should be pulled out of the clamping screw, but it is not necessary to remove it. It will not hurt to inspect it in order to find damage and, if necessary, lubricate it.
How to adjust the high gear limiter?
For alignment, the chain is set to high gear with the smallest sprocket at the back and the largest sprocket in front. For those who are interested in how to adjust the rear derailleur on a mountain bike, it is important to remember. the essence of adjustment is to align the rear small chainring with the tensioner rollers. This task is accomplished by rotating the adjusting screw H:
- clockwise. the frame deviates towards the large asterisk;
- counterclockwise. the frame moves to the outside.
How to adjust the low gear limiter?
The function of the L limit screw is to prevent the chain from overshooting the large chainring. Incorrect alignment can lead to chain seizure between the sprocket and spokes or the inability to engage low gear.
Before the adjustment procedure, you need to install the chain so that it is on the back of the large sprocket and in the front on the small sprocket. Screw L is removed as far as possible so that the switch can move without restriction. The purpose of the setup is to align the tensioner rollers and the large chainring in the same plane. The task is performed by rotating the screw L:
- clockwise. the spreader assembly shifts towards the small sprocket;
- counterclockwise. the node moves towards the wheel.
How to adjust the cable tension?
The technological process is simple. it is enough to debug the transition between two adjacent stars, the index gear change system is designed so that the shift will be adjusted on all the stars of the cassette:
- pull the cable by hand and fix it with the mounting bolt;
- final adjustment is carried out by rotating the hollow screw with a drum (position 2 in the figure), the chain should easily move from one star to another and back with one press of the shifter.
Once you have finished adjusting the Shimano rear derailleur on a mountain bike, tighten and secure the cable securely. It is important that it fits into the guide groove. If the work is done correctly, then when the pedals are rotated, the chain works silently and does not jump to the side.
Adjusting the chain tensioner
The tensioner is a spreader assembly that provides optimum chain drive rigidity. Excessive tension not only impedes the movement of the chain, but also wears out the gearshift system. The weakened state prevents a clear transition.
The tensioner assembly is debugged as follows:
- Place the chain at the rear on the largest sprocket and at the front on the smallest.
- If, when moving the chain, the tensioner roller touches the cassette, then you need to tighten the tension screw (position 3 in the figure) so that the gap between them is about 5 mm.
- Install the chain at the back on the smallest sprocket, and at the front on the largest sprocket, and repeat the operation described in point 2.
Routine flushing and lubrication of the ropes and their jackets sometimes gives amazing results. Practice shows that after this operation it becomes much easier to make transitions. If you find a torn cable with a part of unbraided wires, it should be replaced immediately. The same situation with the shirt, which is damaged.
Unexpected failures during transfer can be caused by two reasons:
- Pulled out the cable from the fixing bolt of the mechanism.
- There is a plug on one end of the shirt.
Before adjusting the rear derailleur on a mountain bike, you need to check the condition of the cock. It can bend from a fall or when driving on uneven surfaces. It is absolutely impossible to straighten the part directly on the bicycle, because the frame of the assembly is fragile, it is better to dismantle the bent cock and align it on a metal plate.
You should also pay attention to the degree of wear of the chain drive, which occurs due to a long drive on non-standard gear combinations. Chain tensioner rollers need periodic maintenance. they need to be cleaned and lubricated at least once a year.
Installing the rear derailleur on the bike. About mountain biking. How to adjust the rear derailleur
Every cycling enthusiast should know how to properly adjust the rear derailleur. If the mechanism fails, its normal operation will come to naught. To many cyclists, the operation of the rear derailleur seems complicated and incomprehensible, hidden from prying eyes. The mechanism can easily and unpretentiously perform its functions, but one day it will fail. If you have no experience in fixing a similar problem, take your bike to a workshop, where a qualified technician will fix the problem within a few minutes.
You can understand the principles of the rear derailleur. By adhering to our recommendations, you will say goodbye to the difficulties in the further maintenance of the bike on your own.
While the gear shifters are simple at first glance, their optimal setting can seem like a daunting task. Gear shifting is a sequence of actions that loosen and tighten the cable. The cable without which the rear derailleur will not work. Tuning an old and worn out movement or a cheap model made of low quality metal is a big challenge. After just a couple of years of operation, play may form in the switch connections.
How does the rear derailleur work? For the efficiency of tuning, it is advisable to study the device of the component of interest to us. The key principle of operation is based on gear shifting when changing the chain from one drive sprocket to another of a different diameter. Let’s start by comparing the front and rear derailleurs. Structurally, the front derailleur is a regular steel frame that moves in different directions. During movement, this chain shifts to the side, from one sprocket to the next.
The rear derailleur has a more complex mechanism. It has a special spring-loaded foot with small rollers. By dropping the chain onto smaller diameter sprockets, the cyclist uses a shifter to loosen the cable, thereby shifting the chain to the desired sprockets. For chain transfer to a larger sprocket, the shift process is slightly different. In this case, the cable is pulled, after which the foot brings the chain to the star of a larger diameter, friction occurs until it is picked up by the tooth, which will send it to a new gear.
Reasons for malfunction of the rear derailleur 1) Mechanical failure. The gear shifter most often breaks down due to mechanical damage, for example, when a cyclist falls on the track. The first step is to make sure it isn’t bent. Ideally, the foot should be parallel to the cassette stars. If there is even a slight bias, you can judge the deformation of the “cock” (rear derailleur bracket), and not the derailleur itself. Often, after impact, the switch is bent inward, closer to the spokes. Sometimes it hits the needles. It is bad if the frame is not equipped with a removable bracket. then the spokes, derailleur and dropout break. all this leads to frame breakage. The bracket is attached to the frame with a bolt and the rear derailleur is attached to the second bracket. Straightens in a simple way. just pull the switch. But this only works with a slight deviation. Otherwise, you just have to replace the “rooster”; 2) Poor cable lubrication and contamination; 3) Incorrectly adjusted rear derailleur; 4) Deterioration of related parts. Worn out sprockets and flails, rollers in poor condition also lead to breakage. On their own, poor quality rear derailleur models often break down. A lot of problems can be caused when shifting gears and a malfunction of the shifter.
If you experience difficulty in shifting gears and the bike is unruly on the move, take a close look at the bike. When adjusting, do not pull on the rear derailleur foot only, as this may lead to deformation.
The necessary tools are required for you: hex keys or a set of them (3 and 5 mm keys are required), a Phillips screwdriver. Before starting debugging, it is important to make sure that the switch is still functional.
Preparatory phase The gear selector is a delicate mechanism in a hard-to-reach place. Therefore, before starting direct adjustment, it is necessary to eliminate key obstacles to the quality of the procedure.
Pay attention to the cleanliness of the bike, its individual mechanisms associated with the operation of the switch. Take care of your bike chain lubrication. Next, the bicycle chain is transferred to such a position that it becomes on the small stars in front and behind at the same time. To do this, find on the switch the adjusting screws with the inscriptions H and L. It is necessary to unscrew as much as possible the screw under the letter “L”.
Then unscrew the cable tensioner clockwise until it stops. A similar one is located on the shifter. The procedure should be repeated with it. Remember that the rear derailleurs of different models have five key parts: 1) Bolt and nut for securing the cable; 2) Screw with hollowness and cable tension adjustment; 3) Screw for limiting the stroke, is transferred to the largest sprocket (L); 4) Limiting screw for small sprocket (H); 5) Tensioning screw for chain.
Some cheap models do not have cable and chain tensioners. The final preparatory operation is to unscrew the screw that secures the cable directly to the switch. If rust forms, it must be replaced. Slight wear of the part indicates further operation with a prerequisite for cleaning and lubrication. Place the chain on the smallest chainring at the front and the largest chainring at the back, then pedal back. Then the upper roller of the rear derailleur, turning the tension screw, bring it as close to the star as possible, but so that it does not touch it. Such actions will help to achieve a smooth gear change. At the end of the preparation check the ease of sliding of the cable through the “shirt” on the bike frame. Sometimes it needs to be rinsed.
Basic Adjustment Start the adjustment by checking the position of the top roller. it should be on the same vertical line or slightly to the left of the smallest cassette star above it, or slightly offset to the left when viewed from behind. The position can be corrected with the adjusting screw marked “H”. Turn the screw clockwise to move the roller to the left, and vice versa to move the roller to the right. Set up the high gear limiter as follows: 1) put the largest sprocket in the front and the smallest at the back; 2) loosen the shifting cable by unscrewing the switch holding bolt. You can screw in the cable tension adjustments on the switch and on the shifter to the maximum; 3) make sure that both rollers are in the same plane with the smallest sprocket; 4) at the end of the adjustment, it is necessary to pull the cable and clamp it on the switch.
After installing the cable, you need to go to the setting of small gears. Place the chain on the rear sprocket with the largest diameter. Next, check the position of the rollers under the large sprocket. The bolt responsible for the position of the rollers is located under the letter “L”. Adjust the chain if the derailleur has the ability to adjust the tension level. Each cyclist selects the optimal settings for himself. it is advisable to remember them in order to ensure a comfortable use of the bike.
Tension Adjustment Modern models have two spring loaded levers. The bottom one raises the switch frame up, when positioned on small stars. The upper one provides movement of the frame back to the large star. The spring tension of both levers must be balanced for correct gear shifting.
By setting the chain to the lowest gear, when the screw is loosened, the guide roller rises, approaching the sprocket, reducing the angle of inclination of the chain. this improves the quality of shifting. The roller should not touch the sprocket and the gap should be approximately 5 mm. It is advisable to do this procedure when replacing the cassette or when changing the chain length.
How to Shift Correctly After adjusting the rear derailleur, you need to make sure that the gears are shifted correctly. Thoughtless “clicking” of the switch is not the best solution for testing the switch functionality. The key rule is that gear changes are carried out while the bike is moving. Before changing the speed, it is advisable to apply less pedal pressure. Change gears sequentially. If you want to climb a mountain on the move, change the gear to a lighter one before starting the actual climb. To descend from a hill, the same rule is relevant, but only you need to switch to a gear in which it is more difficult to pedal.
Combinations of the right sprocket for different rides Experienced cyclists choose the right sprocket for a comfortable ride for their bike. The most popular combination can be called: for city driving and asphalt roadway outside the city. a large front and between the 4th and 8th rear stars; for cross-country travel or for fast driving on the track. a combination of a large chainring with driven ones (3 and 6); when going uphill. a combination of a small leading star with driven ones (from 1st to 3rd).
Too much skewing of the chain will shorten its life. As soon as there is a sudden extraneous sound when driving, stop immediately and check the switch for faults.
Maintenance of cables and shirts Sometimes it is enough to keep the shirts and cables clean and lubricate them regularly with liquid oil. It is then much easier to adjust the bike’s rear derailleur. Switches of different rulers and manufacturers serve different periods. it all depends on the price range. But even the durability of cheap switches can be extended with gentle handling and care.
A cable shirt is needed to keep out dirt. If you find a torn cable with loose threads, then hurry up to replace it with a new one. In case of cable corrosion and constant jamming in the jacket, it is better to treat it with graphite grease. Then the rear derailleur adjustment will advance faster and the gear changes will remain as smooth as before. Damaged shirts should be replaced.
Diagnostics of the problem with the rooster If the chain throwing by the rear derailleur fails, there is a reason to check the rooster for serviceability. The rear derailleur is often damaged. There is a huge load on it. Often from a strong blow to the log and the curb, the “rooster” bends or bursts. Therefore, make sure that the two tensioner rollers are strictly vertical to each other.
The dissonance of the geometrical parallels of the rollers means breakage. The chain, passing along the rollers, must be strictly vertical. without distortions. Do not level him in a field, forest, snowy mountains. Trying to straighten it by hand will only bend the switch frame. Experts do not recommend that you straighten the bent “cock” by pulling the switch. Its frame is very fragile. First, it will bend, then the fasteners will deteriorate. this will only aggravate the situation with the repair. It is better to completely remove the cock, spread it out on a flat surface and use tools in attempts to straighten.
Following our instructions, you can independently consolidate your theoretical knowledge of the bicycle in practice. No one but you can actually make it work: only you know all its pros and cons.
How to install a rear derailleur on a bike?
Having clocked many kilometers on a bicycle, I was convinced that a branded derailleur is much more important for a comfortable ride than stylish grips or leather Brooks. But it’s not enough just to buy Shimano or Sram, the quality of installation and setup is important.
A bit of boring theory
The rear derailleur mechanism throws the chain over the cassette stars, allowing you to lower or increase gears (for reference, it was invented by the Italian Tullio Campagnolo back in 1950). This device also keeps the chain taut. There have been many varieties since the invention. A little about the main, most characteristic features.
- Manufacturing material. From steel to carbon. The entry-level models are equipped with steel, and not always of good quality, and plastic. In the right hands, these switches even work sometimes. Models of the middle category are in most cases made using aluminum. The most expensive models can boast not only precision in work, but also titanium, carbon or composite.
- Frame size. In theory, everything is simple. the longer the frame, the more gears you can select. However, one cannot say so categorically, since someone will prefer a short frame that is not afraid of stones, while others are interested in greater comfort in switching. And everyone is right in their own way.
You can still describe in detail the action of the spring or the options for the location of the cable for a long time. However, many good articles have been written on this topic. I will only note that there is not much difference from which side the cable enters the switch. So, now about the interesting.
Installation and adjustment
Reference: The Shimano Tourney TX is the entry-level model, although the exterior design suggests a higher class.
And putting something more serious on an inexpensive bike used only for riding exclusively on asphalt is pointless. Switching range was important, however, as the city is teeming with hills, hills and mountains.
So, replacing the rear derailleur starts with removing the old noname from the frame. it’s time for Shimano. The chain link is revealed. If this is not the case, then you need to use squeeze.
The old switch is unscrewed and removed, and a new one is hung in its place and screwed to the “cock”. a protruding triangle with a hole in the frame. It is worth tightening well, but without undue enthusiasm.
We put the bike chain on the smallest star. Visually, the roller and small star should be in the same line. The small star is the highest speed, therefore we adjust the position of the roller with the screw H.
Help: the letter H is an abbreviation for high gear, that is, top gear.
The next step is to insure against the possibility of the chain hitting the spokes, which is likely if the derailleur goes behind the largest sprocket. To do this, you need to move the switch to the largest star, carefully and effortlessly. In no case by the roller, the mount of which is very easy to bend.
The adjusting screw fixes the position of the switch exactly so that it is opposite the large star. Going behind it is fraught with the loss of knitting needles and good mood. If the switch is too tight, there will be no lower gear.
Queue for the cable. he must walk freely in a shirt. We check the progress and the absence of creases. On this switch model, you can see the place for the cable to pass. We put the chain on the smallest sprocket, tighten the cable to remove the slack, fix it. Thus, installing the rear derailleur and adjusting it are two integral and complementary processes.
Now check the operation of the entire mechanism. There should be no pronounced clicking sounds when pedaling from the rear derailleur side. Switching up and down should be accurate, without jumping and delays. And even if everything fell into place, it works accurately, quietly and without delay. for the first trip it is worth taking a screwdriver with you. Working with a load may well require minor adjustments.
Note that you will have to deal with such a concept as “preventive maintenance of the switch“, regardless of its price category. As the rollers, which are consumables, wear out, their timely replacement will be required.
It is believed that the installation and adjustment of the rear derailleur is much easier than the front derailleur. However, you will have to spend time and effort, but this work will pay off handsomely during the trip.
Bicycle Rear Derailleur Adjustment
Bicycle owners can always count on the help of specialized firms, which will carry out a full technical inspection of the transport and carry out repairs, and tighten / adjust / adjust everything. But in most cases, cyclists have neither the time nor the money to visit repair shops. in this case, recommendations, step-by-step process instructions will maximally simplify the task of self-service of a two-wheeled vehicle.
Cyclists are often faced with the problem of adjusting the rear derailleur. Let’s make a reservation right away that it is very difficult to adjust old and worn-out switches. in some cases, the details of this mechanism are so worn out that even an inexperienced cyclist will pay attention to the existing backlash, which is almost impossible to get rid of. But on the other hand, if the rear derailleur on a bicycle has not yet passed into the category of “prehistoric”, then you can adjust it yourself. it is impossible to break the mechanism either theoretically or practically.
When is it necessary to adjust the rear derailleur
The process under consideration should not be carried out constantly, with systematic maintenance of a two-wheeled vehicle. as experienced mechanics say, “do not interfere with the bike ride.” Therefore, you need to clearly understand what may be the reason for adjusting the rear derailleur:
- The cable and its jacket are either faulty or require lubrication.
- The attachment to the rear spreader frame (called the “cock”) is curved.
- Cassettes and / or sprocket chains on the rear wheel are worn.
- The tensioner rollers are clearly stuck on the rear spreader.
- The shifter for changing speeds on the steering wheel has become unusable.
What is the adjustment
Before embarking on the process of adjusting the rear derailleur of the bicycle, you need to know what is provided for such work. There are 5 adjusting screws on the bike:
- Hollow screw with a drum for tensioning (this is one of the ways to adjust) the cable.
- Diverter travel stop screw marked with “H”. only works for smallest sprocket.
- Spreader Stroke Stop Screw Marked “L”. Only Works For Largest Sprocket.
- Cage bolt with nut. designed for fastening the cable.
- Special screw for tensioning the chain.
Note: some models of bicycles (usually this refers to inexpensive brands) are not equipped with a cable tension drum or chain tension screw. But in this case, manufacturers install an adjusting drum on the steering wheel at the shifters. This makes it possible to adjust / adjust the level of tension of the cable directly in the movement of the bicycle, only first you will need to throw the chain onto the smallest sprocket.
How to adjust the rear derailleur
It is convenient to carry out all work on setting the rear derailleur when the rear wheel of the bicycle is lifted up. To do this, you can use a footboard (if one is provided constructively), or install a two-wheeled vehicle on a regular ironing board, or use the help of a friend.
The process in question must be carried out in stages.
First, place the chain on the middle sprocket at the front and the smallest sprocket at the back. Now we are carefully examining the rear spreader. it must be thoroughly cleaned of dirt, stuck grass and sticks. The chain is washed and lubricated, the cassette is not only cleaned of dirt, but also blown out of dust. even these simple manipulations will lead to improved operation of the rear derailleur on the bike.
Release the cable
To do this, it is enough to screw in the tension screws on the rear spreader and on the handlebar near the shifter all the way, and then pull the cable out of the clamping screw.
Experts do not recommend completely removing the loosened bicycle cable, but inspect it for damage (if found, the cable will have to be completely replaced) and thoroughly lubricate it, having previously cleaned it of dirt, it is imperative.
Setting the travel limit to the smallest sprocket
To do this, you need to sit down behind the bike and turn the adjusting screw marked “H”, at the same time, the spreader is installed so that both the rollers and the smallest sprocket in the wheel are in line.
Note: there is one trick in the implementation of this process. if the bike has been used for a long enough time and the spreader is not new, then it can be qualitatively adjusted by setting the frame not in a straight line, but shifting it to the right of the wheel literally 1-2 mm.
You can check the correct setting of the travel limit on the smallest sprocket by turning the wheel: the chain will not jump to the side, and the whole mechanism will work almost silently.
Adjusting the cable tension
Such adjustment is performed literally in 2 steps:
- We tighten the cable and fix it with a mounting bolt. over, you need to do this with your hand, pliers are inappropriate to use in this case.
- We rotate the hollow screw with a drum and tighten the cable in such a way that with one click and depressing of the shifter, the transfer device easily and freely (without delay even for a second) switches from one sprocket to another and back.
It is worth noting that the process of adjusting the cable tension takes several minutes. it is enough to adjust the correct transition only between two adjacent sprockets, and everything else will work automatically.
Note: some models of bicycles have a groove for the cable in the clip. make sure when adjusting that it lies exactly in it, and is not pinched in the wrong position.
Setting the travel limit to the largest sprocket
Everything is done strictly according to the instructions:
- So that nothing interferes with the movement of the spreader, loosen the adjusting screw marked “L”.
- Slowly crank the pedals and at the same time throw the chain onto the largest sprocket in the back.
- We turn the adjusting screw marked “L”, thereby achieving alignment of the spreader in a position where its rollers and the largest cassette sprocket are in line.
Note: in this case, if the spreader is already badly worn out, to facilitate the installation / adjustment process, you need to move its frame towards the wheel. In many cases, it is precisely this minimum frame displacement that is not enough to throw the chain into the desired position.
Adjusting the chain tensioner
This process is simple and even an inexperienced cyclist, far from the principle of repairing his vehicle, will cope with it in a few minutes. What should be done:
- The chain is translated to the smallest sprocket in the front and the largest in the back.
- Pay attention to the rotation of the tensioner rollers. if at the time of the chain throwing it touches the star in the cassette, then you need to tighten the chain tension screw. By this action, a gap between the clutching elements of 5 mm is established.
- The chain is rearranged to the largest sprocket in the front and the smallest at the rear, along the way, the chain tension level is checked in this position.
The ropes and their shirts
No matter how strange it may sound, but most often the adjustment of the rear derailleur is to clean and then lubricate the cables and their shirts. These bicycle parts can be of high quality, or worse quality. both of them will work for a long time if the bicycle owner at least once a month cleans them of dirt and lubricates them with liquid oil.
Note: if during the next service a torn cable or damaged casing (shirt) is found, then they must be completely replaced with new parts.
Rear derailleur “cock
This part of the mechanism is fragile. the “rooster” is quite easy to damage even when jumping over curbs or while driving on bad roads with a lot of stones. If the rear derailleur begins to work poorly, then the first thing experienced cyclists pay attention to is the “rooster”. It is easy to determine its malfunction. sit down next to a two-wheeled vehicle and take a close look at the “cock”. two rollers of the chain tensioner should be located in an absolutely vertical plane in relation to each other.
It is strictly forbidden to align the “cock” directly in the assembly and with your hands or any improvised tools / device. this can render the entire rear derailleur mechanism unusable. The smartest solution is to disassemble the bike, remove the “rooster” and align it on a hard surface.
Sprockets and chains
Often the cause of poor operation of the rear derailleur of a bicycle is a strong wear of the chain mechanism. And most often, driving in vehicles in the mode of unauthorized combination of speeds, or with a skewed chain leads to this position.
There are times when a completely new chain mechanism is no longer suitable for use. the rear sprocket cassette is screwed skewed onto the rear wheel hub. It will be fair to say that this happens when low quality, cheap parts are installed on a two-wheeled vehicle.
Chain tension rollers
There are miniature sprockets on the derailleur frame. they also need to be periodically cleaned from dirt and lubricated with liquid oil. If the rollers are operated for a long time without proper care, then they will definitely start to jam. the chain will rub over them, bounce and fly off the rear sprockets.
Carbon-coated rollers on the outside and ceramic bearings on the inside have recently entered the market. manufacturers claim they will last forever. Experts recommend not to waste your money on these fashionable “chips”. with proper and regular care, ordinary plastic rollers will last a long time.
Steering wheel switches
If the shifter breaks on the handlebars, the cyclist will feel it right away. the cable tension instantly weakens, so it’s easy to “diagnose” the problem. In this case, the shifter must be replaced, but experienced cyclists do not recommend purchasing expensive components. with proper operation of such parts, even not the highest quality will manifest itself only on the positive side.
How to fine tune the rear derailleur
Periodically, bike owners have to fine-tune the rear derailleur. As a rule, such work is carried out in the following cases:
- repairs, adjustment or complete replacement of chain drive elements were carried out;
- new cables and their shirts were installed on the two-wheeled vehicle;
- poor quality cables were installed on the bike and they constantly stretch during operation.
In this case, the switch is adjusted by unscrewing the hollow cable tension screw. it is enough to make half a turn to the left. After setting up, be sure to check the operation of the mechanism. ride a bike in different speed modes.
Using the tips and tricks given in the presented material, you can carry out the whole process yourself. The only thing to remember is that the rear derailleur, which is badly worn out, must be replaced: no adjustments / adjustments / cable changes will help.
How to put a rear derailleur on a bike
Having traveled many roads on a bike, you are convinced that buying stylish grips and choosing the right tires is not enough for a comfortable ride, it is much more important to have a branded rear derailleur, which will be correctly installed and configured.
Something about a switch.
The gearshift mechanism was invented by Tullio Campagnolo in 1950. This discovery made a splash among bike manufacturers, who from that moment on, polls began to equip new models with this device.
The main purpose of the mechanism is to increase or decrease speeds by throwing the chain over the stars in the cassette. In addition, the rear derailleur on the bike prevents the chain from sagging by keeping it taut. than half a century has passed since the invention of the device, during which time many of its varieties have been created.
The number of gears that you can choose depends on the length of the frame: the longer it is, the more speeds are provided by the design of the bike. However, it is impossible to say unequivocally that a long frame is better, someone likes a short frame that is not afraid of stones. And here everyone is right in their own way!
What is the rear derailleur made of?
The material of manufacture can be different: from stainless steel to titanium. On budget bicycles, as a rule, steel and plastic derailleurs are installed. such products are short-lived, work poorly. Models of the middle price segment are equipped with an aluminum movement, and the most expensive ones are composed of composite, carbon and titanium.
Installing the rear derailleur on a bicycle
Owners of an old bike, equipped with a switch of an unknown brand, always reach out to “bring it to mind.” Often, with a device assembled independently from spare parts of various brands, many problems arise: from the constant throwing of the chain over the star to the complete “sabotage” of the movement. Therefore, it is easier and cheaper to “get hold of” a new one, rather than trying to adjust and repair the rear derailleur on a bicycle, which is already hopelessly damaged.
For a bike that is used periodically and only on flat roads, it is impractical to install an expensive derailleur of famous brands (Shimano, Sram, etc.). However, if you plan on rolling hills and slides, pay attention to mechanisms with a large range of speeds.
Replacing the derailleur on a bicycle: a sequence of actions
- The replacement process begins with removing the old mechanism from the frame. To do this, open the chain link, unscrew and remove the old switch.
- Next, to the “cock”, which is a protruding triangle with a hole, we fix a new mechanism. It should be screwed on well, but not too tight.
- Then we install the chain on the smallest star so that the roller and the star are visually located on the same line.
- Carefully slide the derailleur back to the largest sprocket without holding onto the roller, which is easy to bend. Thus, you will be insured against the risk of the chain hitting the spokes.
- Using the adjusting screw, we fix the position of the switch so that it still remains opposite the large star. If the mechanism hits the star, then you can lose the spokes, too much clamping is fraught with failure of the lower gear.
- Moving on to the cable. normally it should move freely in the shirt. It is necessary to check the absence of creases and the course itself. To do this, we install the chain on a small star, pull the cable and fix it in a taut position.
- We check the operation of the mechanism. First of all, turn the pedals. there should be no clicks in the process, and the very switching of speeds up and down should be smooth, without jumping over the stars and without delays. At first, it is better to take a screwdriver on a bike ride. under load, the mechanism may need to be adjusted.
Regardless of the mechanism of which company you choose, sooner or later you will have to face preventive maintenance. After all, the rollers are consumables and wear out as the bike is used, so from time to time it is necessary to carry out their preventive replacement.
Many people think the rear derailleur is much easier to set up than the front derailleur. In both cases, you will have to make some effort, but this work will pay off more than comfortably while riding. If you don’t want to waste time installing the derailleur. contact us for a bike repair service.