How the front fender is attached. How to install fenders on a bike: step by step instructions 
Not all bicycle models are equipped with fenders. However, after riding in the rain or mud, the bike owner begins to seriously think about their need. In the article below we will talk about the types of wings, their advantages and disadvantages, installation methods.
Do you need fenders on a bike
It is easy to guess that the main task, as well as the main advantage of the wings, is protection from water and dirt. After installing them, the owner of the bike will be relatively isolated from splashing from under the wheels.
Nevertheless, some disadvantages should be taken into account:
- Increase the total mass of the bike. This parameter will have a significant impact in the case of installing metal models, which are currently rare.
- Decreased cross-country ability. When driving over irregularities, the activated shock absorption can cause the wheel to rub against the protective element. In addition, if the bike is equipped with rain fenders (minimum clearance with the wheel), then when passing through muddy areas, they will instantly clog. This will create unnecessary resistance and may cause a forced stop. In urban conditions, the problem will be irrelevant.
- Changing the original bike design. The point is controversial and depends on the personal preferences of the owner.
If the voiced cons are not scary, and you have decided whether you need fenders for a mountain bike, you can proceed with their selection and subsequent installation.
Types of fenders for a bicycle
There is no single classification of types of fenders for a bicycle. However, one of the main characteristics is length, or rather dimension. Full-size fit snugly to the wheel and provide maximum protection against water splashes. Short ones are installed significantly higher above the wheel surface and are designed, first of all, to protect the rider from dirt.
The next difference is the fastening method. The front fender is installed with a spacer that fits into a hub under the crown of the fork. The second option is to mount with a plate and screws that fix to the hole in the gorilla plug. Make sure your bike has the correct hole before buying.
Installing mudguards on a mountain bike
The exact installation sequence will depend on the design. Typically, manufacturers provide visual instructions that can give you a general idea of the location of elements and fasteners. In the material, we will talk about two installation methods: quick (using a sleeve and a clamp), and also more reliable (screwing the plate into special holes on the frame).
Fast (universal) installation option
This method involves fixing the front wing with a strut. The protective element itself consists of two parts and is docked with a metal plate. The long part of the wing is worn on the bottom, the shorter part on the top. The workpiece is ready.
Next, you need to prepare the fastener and install:
- Includes screw, washer and two pieces of spacer. A washer is put on the screw, after which it is passed from the bottom side of the metal plate.
- The first part of the spacer is put on top of the screw without a nut, then the second part (with a nut) is slightly screwed on.
- Now you need to look under the crown of the fork. There is a hole in which the spacer is inserted. After placing it, start tightening the screw with a screwdriver. Parts of the fastener will begin to move apart, which will ensure that the wing is held in the cavity. If the spacer is not wide enough, use the included pad. If it is absent, you can independently cut the rubber strip from the old camera.
Next, let’s take a look at how to install a rear mudguard on a bike:
Place the nuts inside the clamp, connect it to the wing attachment part, tighten the components with screws.
By loosening individual fasteners, it will be possible to adjust the installed protection in height and angle of inclination. When driving over bumps, the wing may drop spontaneously. This disadvantage is present in some models, and it will be possible to completely eliminate its appearance only by installing another design with additional “antennae”.
Installation through special holes
If your bike has holes above the rear and front wheels, then you can purchase fenders with mounting on plates. Instructions on how to put the front fender on the bike:
- Insert the plate into the splash guard.
- Open the brakes if V-brakes (rim) are installed.
- Attach the wing with the plate to the hole in the gorilla forks. Thread the screw.
- Adjust the height. rubber should not rub against plastic.
- Tighten the fastener. If necessary, you can fix the nut with a wrench, and screw it in with a screwdriver.
A rear wing of this type can consist of two parts and is also attached through a special hole:
- The bracket is installed on the front frame, after which the front part of the protective element snaps into it.
- V-brakes open if necessary.
- Take the bracket, screw and nut. The screw is threaded into a special seat above the wheel. The bracket is put on the screw as tightly as possible.
- The wing is threaded through the bracket. its edges should lie in the grooves. The procedure is simple and seems complicated only in words. Planting depth is selected according to personal preference.
The instructions presented in this article will help you figure out how to attach the front and rear fenders to your bike. There are no universal recommendations regarding this procedure, however, the outlined sequence of actions will allow you to understand the general principle of installation and apply it on the purchased model. When choosing a wing, you should pay attention to its width so that it completely overlaps the tire. Length plays an important role. the larger it is, the less water and dirt will get on the rider.
Mudhugger FR Fender. Overview
The Front Race (FR) fender, made from injection molded plastic, is the longer of the two mudguards offered by the company, and is curved and wrapped around the front wheel, with a long tail and a slightly shorter front end. Four ties are used to secure it to the fork, and its forward position can be adjusted with a selection of slots. At 65 grams, the Mudhugger doesn’t add much weight to the bike and it fits 26, 27.5 and 29 inches bikes. It will also fit the new generation 27.5 Plus bikes with Boost 110 forks. Mudhugger also offers rear mudguards that attach directly to the swingarm. Manufacturer’s suggested retail price. 32 (£ 25) from www.themudhugger.co.uk
I installed Mudhugger on different Fox and RockShox forks without any problems. On a 27.5-inch bike with 2.35-inch tires, the Mudhugger does sit pretty close to the tire, but any fear of it clogging or blocking the wheel proved unfounded. Except for the occasional slippage of branches or leaves between the plastic and the tire, this did not cause any interference issues. Mudhugger went through a lot of races, threw himself into the back of the car and even suffered a few accidents, but its durability was excellent. Obviously, you need to be a little more careful when transporting the bike, but the plastic was very durable. The mudguard is equipped with ties. Velcro straps will make it easy to remove, but the straps provide a very secure fit. With Mudhugger, there is no reason to let dirt and rain get in your way.
How can I know when my US-made tool was manufactured? Wing
DATING YOUR US-Made FENDER STRING SET
Throughout most of Fender’s history of manufacturing in the U.S., production dates have been applied to various components.
In particular, production dates were either penciled or stamped on the heel of most guitars and basses, although there were times when this was not done all the time (e.g. 1973-1981) or simply omitted. the approximate age of the guitar. but this is certainly not definitive, because the neck date simply refers to the date of manufacture of the individual component. not the whole instrument.
Given the modular nature of Fender’s manufacturing technology, a single neck could be produced for a specific year, then retained for a specific period of time before being connected to the body to create a complete guitar, perhaps next year, for example. Consequently, although the date is on the grill useful in determining the range of production dates, obviously not an accurate guideline.
Most of the specs for a given Fender instrument model little (if any) change over the life of the model. Although there have been periods of dramatic changes. for example, the transitions between the Leo Fender years and the CBS years, or the transition between the CBS years and the current ownership. most models tend to be feature-specific and do not change from year to year.
Serial numbers also help identify the year the instrument was manufactured. Over the years, serial numbers have been used in various places on Fender instruments such as
Wait a minute.
Turn on cookies and reload the page.
This process is automatic. Your browser will redirect you to the requested content shortly.
Wait up to 5 seconds.
Help to remove the clip of the inner front fender
If you haven’t looked into this empty space for a long time, I highly recommend it. I cleaned out mine, vacuumed up the remaining dirt and moisture, and the liquid captured the space. Ignoring this empty space seems like a great way to rot your rockers from the inside out if you live in a northern climate like me.
How to install fenders on a bike
A bike. It is an eco-friendly vehicle and driving is very popular. Owners of this technique must have some skills in maintenance and repair, because this will allow you to quickly and efficiently find a way out in unforeseen situations, for example, glue the camera or put the wings on a bicycle. The latter option causes a lot of controversy among fans of two-wheeled vehicles. It all depends on individual preferences and it is worth familiarizing yourself with this topic in a little more detail.
For or against
Bicycle fenders have both advantages and disadvantages, which are determined by the type of bike and its purpose. Among the positive aspects of this part on the wheels, it can be noted that:
- It is good protection against dirt and splashes from under the wheels;
- Correctly selected, they do not spoil the appearance of the equipment;
- Some types are quickly attached and removed.
Fans of sports bicycles often do without fenders, as they make the bike heavier, which is unacceptable for sports. For city driving, this detail can be very useful: it will protect the cyclist from getting dirt on his clothes. In order to understand whether the installation of this element is really necessary, you need to try everything on your own experience, as well as choose the right type of fenders on wheels. They can be:
- Stationary short;
- Quick release short;
- Stationary long.
The first option is quite common and they are made of plastic. You need to attach them to the fork or frame using a bolt. Protection is not complete, which in some cases may be significant. Their weight is small and therefore they do not particularly affect the weight of the equipment.
Quick-detachable short ones are also made of plastic, but they have mobility. They should be secured with a special clamp, which allows quick installation and removal. Many cyclists use this type of fenders on wheels despite the fact that the level of protection is not very high. It is important to carry out the installation correctly, otherwise the part will be useless.
Long stationary fenders for a bicycle are metal parts that are mounted by attaching in three places to the fork, frame. The area of protection against dirt flying from the wheels is quite large, but it is necessary to periodically clean the part itself. They are most suitable for road or road bikes.
Mobile versions of this part are easy to install, but the process of fixing stationary ones requires especially close attention. Before starting work, the rim brakes must be disengaged so that the rear fender can be attached without problems. Then you remove the screw located under the seat and you need to put the element on the seat post. The front fender is easily bolted into place at the fork crown. It is important to calculate the force with which the bolts are tightened. If tightened too much, then the fasteners can be damaged and become unusable, in the opposite case. it will hang freely and interfere with driving.
Most often, the option of installing one part is not chosen, it is more efficient to put a complete pair. This will provide the best protection against splashes and dirt. If you plan to install a roof rack, you must first install the rear wing. In the case of an already installed trunk, it must be removed.
Tools you need:
- Keys to fit.
Now the question of how to install the fenders on a road or road bike has been resolved. It is not difficult to choose the appropriate option, because modern manufacturers produce a sufficient range of such devices. You can also make wings yourself, but this is a rather laborious process. Correct fit will ensure the functionality of the part and not render it useless, weighing down the bike.
Bicycle mudguards 29 inches: what are there and how to choose?
The presence or absence of fenders on a bicycle is one of the most controversial topics for cyclists. Many people say that they are completely unnecessary, as they violate the aerodynamic properties of transport. The rest of the cyclists claim that in our country you cannot do without this accessory. Consider fenders for a 29-inch bicycle, what they are and how to choose.
First you need to find out why this product is needed. Its main purpose is to keep your “iron friend” and you clean and dry after the end of the trip. Recently, however, bicycle fenders are being created to give vehicles a more stylish and elegant appearance.
Before choosing fenders, you need to know the size of your wheel. It always varies, but mostly it is in the range of 20 to 29 inches.
Now let’s take a look at some of the features of the 29 ” fenders.
- The minimum wheel diameter is 26 inches. On smaller wheels, these wings will look ugly and can greatly interfere with riding.
- It is best to install these models on mountain bikes with wide wheels.
- The accessory should not interfere with driving, cling to parts and be poorly secured.
Considering different types of wings, they can be classified according to several factors.
- Manufacturing material. Here one can note steel, which is distinguished by its strength and great weight. Aluminum is lighter than steel models, but rare and expensive. Another option is plastic. It is relatively inexpensive, but also rare.
- Mounting method. There are quick-release and fixed fenders. But you can also find “exotic” or homemade versions of the wings and their types of attachment. It is worth noting that the front and rear attachment is slightly different.
- Dimensions. Short examples are most often made of lightweight and ergonomic materials that least of all affect the aerodynamics of transport. Long models are usually made of various types of metals. They are able to cover most of the wheel circumference and take a lot of dirt on themselves.
Rating of the best models
Among the whole variety of assortment, the best models can be distinguished that meet all the requirements and are not so expensive.
Crud RoadRacer Mk2
This is a road cycling fender with minimal clearance and extended protection. The design of the accessory is traditionally solid, bolted to the brake axles, and the main arch is made of metal. These production standards have not changed for several years and give a positive result that users note. Recommended tire width is 25-30mm.
SKS VelocityZefal Deflector FM60
A versatile front fender suitable for mountain bikes with wheel diameters of 26, 27.5 or 29 inches. An additional soft spoiler is installed at the end of the wing, which improves protection of the struts from minor damage. The wing width is 60-73 mm. Stylish appearance and matte black color encourage the user to purchase. Zefal is a well-known manufacturer of bicycle accessories.
Pros and cons
When buying this accessory, you should definitely know that it has both positive and negative properties, which will now be considered.
Let’s start with the merits.
- The fenders (especially the full-size and metal ones) look great on a machine with wide tires. They give the transport a certain “zest”, make its appearance much better and more elegant.
- Protection of the driver from external influences. dirt, water.
Unfortunately, from the pros. that’s all. Found a little more disadvantages.
- Excess weight, which can become critical for those seeking to gain extra seconds. Lightweight plastic wings make little sense to buy (they will break quickly), and metal ones weigh quite a lot.
- The aerodynamic properties of the bicycle are significantly reduced. On ordinary trips, this means practically nothing, but a professional athlete can lose a second at the start.
- Weak protection that will not save you from rain, snow and other weather conditions.
- Most fenders have weak bindings that will withstand normal riding, but rolling in hilly terrain is unlikely to survive.
Where to buy?
Buying wings is not difficult (with the right skills), but the place of purchase of this accessory plays an important role.
When choosing any wings, it is worth considering several important criteria that will help make your choice the right one.
- Manufacturer. Before buying, you should pay attention to the quality of the product itself and the manufacturer. Professional cyclists prefer foreign companies that create truly high-quality products, the use of which practically does not affect the characteristics of your vehicle.
- Diameter of wheels and fenders. It is important to know that 29-inch fenders will fit wheels from 27 to 29 sizes inclusive. In other cases, they will interfere, rather than bring any benefit.
- Design. Not such an important factor, but you need to take it into account. Remember that you can find quality and stylish wings. Riding in an open area, you will attract the attention of people, as well as yourself to look with pleasure at your “iron horse”. Fortunately, the range in the modern world is very wide, so finding a suitable model will not be difficult.
- Material. Basically, there are 2 main types of wing material: plastic and metal. The first one is convenient in that it has little effect on the aerodynamic properties of the bicycle. The second. often looks more attractive (due to its metallic luster), but greatly spoils the aerodynamics of the device.
An overview of the wings for a bicycle 29 inches, see the video.
In this article, we’ll take a look at whether buying a bicycle mudguard is worth it, or if it’s not the most needed enhancement for your two-wheeled friend. Let’s talk about the existing types of bicycle wings and the advantages of each of them. we will indicate the sequence of actions when installing bicycle wings on your own.
In the event that splashes of water and dirt fly from under the wheels on the face and clothes, the trip cannot be called pleasant.
To avoid these unpleasant sensations, you can install bicycle fenders. If it has been raining recently or the summer season is approaching autumn, protection from puddles will be very useful.
Functional or pointless acquisition?
There are both supporters and opponents of using bicycle fenders. Those opposed, cite the following arguments: arcs increase weight, which can interfere with the performance of tricks, they do not fully protect against dirt and water, and in general, there are extreme lovers for whom obstacles and difficulties are a welcome entertainment in the process of riding. Also, it is believed that the arcs can spoil the appearance of the bike, make it bulky and unpleasant.
Proponents of using bicycle fenders say that, first of all, you need to choose and install the right products and then the protection will be at the highest level. Not everyone likes extreme and some people prefer, getting to work on a bicycle, then look neat, and not like after a bicycle race.
Thus, in order to understand whether you relate to one or the other, you need to try both methods and draw your own conclusions based on experience.
In this article, we will consider three types of arcs, dwelling in detail on their material, characteristics and installation method:
- Short stationary;
- Short quick-release;
- Long stationary.
Short stationary wings are a common model. Plastic is used as a material for their production. They are attached to the frame or fork by means of a bolt that fixes the wings for the bike firmly enough. As the name suggests, they are slightly shorter than the standard long fins. They are lightweight so they don’t weigh the bike down. There is one drawback. the shins and the front derailleur are not fully protected.
Long stationary arcs are most often made of metal or metal-plastic, which significantly increases their weight and, accordingly, the weight of the bicycle. It is fastened to the fork or frame, but in three places, which provides reliable protection. The length of the arches allows you to cover a significant part of the wheel, to which they are close enough. This can often cause dirt to build up on bike rails. Most often, this type of wing is installed on road and road bikes.
If you want maximum protection against dirt and water, an optional splash guard is available. It is made of rubber or plastic and attaches to the ends of the arches, and some models directly to the frame.
How to install yourself
There are no problems with the installation of quick-detachable arcs, but the process of fastening stationary arcs should be considered in more detail and in stages, as well as indicate the necessary materials and tools.
To install the rear fender, the rim brakes must be disengaged, otherwise the installation will be impossible. The under-seat screw is removed and the fender is secured to the seat post.
The front fender usually has an eyelet with a hole at the top. The fender is attached above the front wheel with a screw and secured with a nut on the opposite side.
So, to install the wings for the bike we need:
- Keys set.
Bicycle mudguards provide protection from water and dirt in adverse weather conditions, so if you are not going extreme and are not going to deliberately put yourself in difficult conditions, using stationary long fenders is the best solution for you.