How to quickly glue a bicycle tube
Bikers don’t seem to have the more common breakdown that can cripple the very process of cycling comfortably. It’s a shame, because, as a last resort, you can continue driving “on the rims” if there is absolutely nothing to fix the breakdown. In addition, if you have sufficiently high-quality and expensive wheels, then every meter that you had to drive over bumps gives a pain in the biker’s heart. He sees the tire and rims deteriorating.
First of all, we need to give some advice to those cyclists who find this article on the Internet, but they have nothing with them: neither a repair kit, nor a bicycle first aid kit. If there is absolutely nothing to glue the wheel, then you can continue the journey, however, with some precautions.
If there is nothing
Tips if you have nothing to fix your camera with:
- continue on foot. In fact, this is not a mocking advice: the mind starts to work at a different pace, and a lot becomes clear. For example, the composition of a bicycle first aid kit that you need to take on the road next time;
- you can disassemble the wheel (you need to pull out the camera), then fill the tire tightly with grass and gently continue the path if it is too long;
- you can use a plastic bag, plastic-like garbage for a temporary emergency patch, wrapping the camera around the puncture site;
- you can use electrical tape, which needs to be wound around the camera, which is in a slightly inflated state;
- finally, if you have money (and if you’re lucky, then hitchhike), you can safely hide your bike, catch a passing car and return with a repair kit;
- if you have a phone with you, a reliable communication signal, and cycling friends, they can bring you the kit you need. But in order not to burn out with shame, looking friends in the eyes, it is better not to do this.
I carry everything with me
So, every self-respecting biker should have a repair kit in order to properly glue the wheel. over, its weight and volume are very small. Recently, very small and convenient bicycle first aid kits have appeared that do not require rubber glue, and therefore, no time. I pasted it over and drove off. It used to be, in Soviet times, you had to first coat the camera with rubber, wait for it to dry, then apply it again. Nowadays, you can glue a bicycle wheel very quickly.
Pump. If there is no pump, then everything else is in vain. You do not need to spare money on the pump. As many years of practice show, the best, compact, lightweight and reliable folding telescopic pumps are produced in Taiwan, the Philippines and Europe.
Even in the context of the policy of “import substitution”, Russian pump manufacturers are making a pitiful likeness. Our pumps are disposable products that allow air to pass through, which must be held with both hands, etched from a cable that does not screw onto the valve, and if it does, then only once due to low-quality steel.
Bicycle patches. Usually they are included in the set and are both round (for punctures) and oval (for tears). As a last resort, you can cut them yourself. In this case, you will need rubber glue. Modern kits include self-adhesive patches.
Tip: Use the same old camera as source of rubber for patches. In this case, the bending of the rubber will perfectly match the bending of the camera. In the event that you find flat patches, you need to glue them well along the edges, and during installation, make sure that they do not come off.
Metal mesh, skin. With this device, you will need to clean the chamber to give the rubber a velvety appearance for a more precise grip, as well as for degreasing. A 2×2 cm piece is enough.
Rubber glue. With its help, the rubber of the chamber is first primed, and then gluing occurs, that is, it is used twice. The adhesive, as well as self-adhesive patches, must be checked before the start of the season. Otherwise, you may find yourself in a situation where gluing the camera is simply impossible, since everything is dry.
What kind of glue can be used to glue the camera, besides rubber? The masses of the people have tried everything: from cyancrylate and Moment glue to epoxy resin, which can fill everything tightly. It is best to use rubber glue because of its affinity for the camera material. Cyanoacrylate and epoxy make the material brittle and unreliable.
In addition, rubber glue is inexpensive, sold in miniature tubes, which are enough for a whole season.
These are all the basic tools and devices so that you can comfortably glue the bicycle camera.
Tip: You can take a small “bicycle” handle and a small bottle of water if you do not take any liquid with you. This is useful for making it easier to find the puncture site. In addition, a headlamp LED flashlight, which a cyclist should always have in case he has to do something on the route in the dark, does not hurt.
It’s time to practice. We present the complete algorithm of action. Let’s try to be short, otherwise so much is written on the Internet.
- If suspicious vibration is found, immediately inspect the wheel.
- In the event that the wheel is flat, it is best to make repairs on the removed wheel, if you have little experience, especially since removing the wheel is not difficult on modern bicycles.
- With the help of assemblies, we carefully dismantle the wheel. Many people advise starting near the chamber valve, many on the opposite side. The second method seems preferable, since lateral loads are possible at the beginning of the tire removal process and the valve can simply be torn off, especially if it stands at an oblique angle to the rim plane.
- The camera is removed and carefully examined.
- The position of the protective tape on the rim is also inspected, it is checked whether the spoke caused the accident.
- All debris that may be there is shaken out of the tire.
- The chamber is slightly inflated by the pump and the search for the hole begins. If you are at home or near a puddle, pond, reservoir, then you can see a puncture along the chain of bubbles. In the event that nothing is visible, place a valve in the water. It is better to have three holes in the chamber than a circular gap around the valve, because such a chamber cannot be repaired, you will have to fill the tire with improvised rags or drive the bike “by the bridle”.
If there is no water source, then you can bring the camera to your face. The most sensitive place is the lips. If you bring the camera to your lips, and even pre-moisten them, then you will feel the lightest breath.
- Having determined the place, it is marked with a cross with a ballpoint pen.
- Carefully cleaned with sandpaper (if it is not there, you can take a dry rough stone, as long as it does not crumble).
- Attach a self-adhesive patch.
- Slightly inflate bike tube.
- Place it gently on the tire.
- Insert the valve of the chamber into the rim (it is more convenient to hold the wheel vertically, with the hole for the valve on top).
- Gently tuck in the edge of the tire with your hand on one side of the rim.
- Check the position of the camera inside.
- The second edge of the tire is folded up. in the final section, you will have to use mounting.
- Inflate the wheel on the bike. and go!
In the event that you have rubber glue, you need to follow the instructions: first grease the cleaned area, wait a few minutes and press the patch. This waiting is necessary so that the glue is thicker, and the patch does not move relative to the puncture.
That’s all that can be said about repairing a bicycle camera.
it can be said that even an experienced biker cannot always avoid a puncture. Avoiding plaques, sparkling shards is possible if you can see them. But it happens that a lone screw is on the head, getting lost in the mud, and a puncture is inevitable. In the most annoying cases, in one ride, you can puncture two wheels at once on a bicycle, hitting the same obstacle.
Basic rules for applying patches
To begin with, of course, you should find the damaged surface. Having found and marked the puncture site of the camera on the bicycle, you can proceed to its direct repair. You must adhere to the following steps:
- it is necessary to dry the camera properly and completely lower it;
- We clean the damaged area with emery paper or a special iron plate until a matte shade is obtained. The trimmed border will be wider (about a centimeter) than the size of the patch diameter. At the end of the stripping, it is reasonable not to touch this place;
- remove the film from the finished patch and apply glue to it. The composition can be applied both to the patch and directly to the camera itself (or to both surfaces).
It is important to proHonor information on the use of the composition, which is indicated on the tube, because it may differ;
- firmly press the patch on the damaged area for about five minutes, squeezing out all the air (press on the center, moving to the sides). It is much easier to place the product on a clean, straight surface and press down with the weight, stepping on top;
- it is not recommended to use the glued camera for half an hour.
How to glue the bike camera
Not every glue composition and not every patch will be able to eliminate the resulting puncture. Let’s consider how and how to glue a bicycle tire in order to restore the initial state of the tire:
- a large number of bike manufacturers offer special repair kits. The box. case contains: chalk with the help of which the place of the hole is marked, a sanding plate, glue and several types of patches that differ in size and shape;
- there is a variant of a homemade patch cut from a used camera. For this process, almost any rubber glue is taken, which subsequently does not burst at the bend.
Honor has it that this method is not reliable;
- a more reliable option is vulcanization, given that it is carried out by a specialist in a special workshop. It will be too difficult and dreary to do this work on your own.
You can reduce the likelihood of unexpected wheel damage by adhering to simple rules: adjust the pressure in the wheel to the desired level, change tires after wear, carry a spare product and an elementary repair kit.
Determine the puncture site
It may seem that finding the puncture site is not difficult at all, but finding the problem directly during the trip makes the task much more difficult. In most cases, the air passes through the “contact patch”, that is, the place where the wheel touches the ground. Most often, this is a maximum of 2/3 of the height of the bicycle camera. Also, the consequence of deflating may be the loss of metal parts of the tire cord, or breakage of the rim tape.
The most popular methods for detecting a slot in a chamber are:
- the traditional way is to place the camera in a shallow container of water. Then it is necessary to slowly rotate the camera until the desired air bubbles appear, which indicate the puncture site;
- if it is not possible to collect water, you can use fine dust from a dirt road. Increase the pressure in the chamber and bring it closer to the dust. Carefully moving the camera, we find the place where the dust scatters from the released air;
- in calm, calm weather, finding a hole in the wheel is quite simple. You need to bring the camera to the wet skin of your wrist;
- if the hole is too large, it is possible to hear the release of air.
How to glue a bicycle tube yourself
As a rule, a person with a bicycle, one way or another, is faced with the problem of a puncture of a wheel. It’s one thing if the air comes out of the camera at home, but the problem that caught you by surprise makes you think: how to glue the bicycle camera yourself and what type of repair to choose?
This situation, unfortunately, happens to cyclists quite often, so it is recommended to have several spare cameras on hand. Going on a hike, it is reasonable to take with you a special repair kit (bicycle first-aid kit), which greatly facilitates the task of gluing and saves time. But, you can do without the kit and properly glue the camera with your own hands.
How to replace a bike camera
Going on a long cycling trip, it is reasonable to take a set of tools and an additional camera on the road, thanks to which it will be possible to change the spoiled one and continue the trip. This will help not to use adhesive mixtures and significantly save time:
- first, you need to remove the wheel from the vehicle, then thoroughly wipe the surface of the tire and rim;
- we lay the wheel on its side and with the help of chalk we apply the markings opposite the nipple;
- unscrew the nipple, letting out all the air;
- pry the edge of the tire with a bead spatula, pulling it out;
- carefully remove the camera from the rim and look for the damaged area;
- pump up the camera, finding and marking the puncture site. Next, we completely lower it;
- we apply a second mark opposite the damage;
- then gently push a new tire into the rim with one side, pulling the nipple into the hole. We put on another side and swing the wheel to the required volume, screw on the cap.
Repairing a wheel with a patch
Very often there are unforeseen circumstances when there is no special kit nearby and, naturally, the thought arises: how to seal the damaged camera? A patch should be made by cutting it out of any raw rubber. It can be any old tire, automotive or technical rubber material. Almost any rubber compound sticks the patch, but it is not recommended to use household and quick-hardening types. How to properly glue the hole was described above, that is, the method is similar to how to glue the patch.
In life, there are also such cases when the rider was left without tools and glue at all, but you need to successfully get home. This requires knowing how to glue the camera without glue. We perform the following simple actions: we properly clean the tire and apply a patch to it so that, with powerful inflation, the pressure presses it.
If there is no patch, tape or a wet polyethylene bag will come in handy. In this work, the parts are glued only with the most smooth surfaces without gaps.
Find out how to do it yourself:
It is important to know: the above repair methods are temporary and work subject to strict restrictions.
- the contacting parts must be clean and smooth;
- a constant maximum pressure should be ensured;
- shock loading of the wheel must be avoided.
If the trouble still overtook you on the way, you need to know in advance how to properly glue the bicycle camera and what kind of glue is better to use. Then replacement and repair will not seem like a difficult task either on the way or near the house. Do not forget to regularly pump up the chamber to a certain pressure and change the time-worn parts of the “iron horse” in time.
Bicycle cameras: types and features
The traditional pair “tire camera” is gradually losing its leadership, but nevertheless, most bicycles are “shod” with their help. Manufacturers and designers have already presented to the market alternative solutions. tubeless and self-adhesive versions, as well as a reinforced butyl chamber made of synthesized rubber with a special margin of safety and increased elasticity.
As in the case of tubeless, the transition to improved rubber is prevented by their double cost compared to a conventional product. Therefore, a fairly solid army of riders with a breeze still rides on ordinary rubber, from time to time patching it up or changing it to a new one.
How to repair your bike camera yourself at home
While tubeless tires are occupying new segments of the automotive industry, cycling enthusiasts still prefer to use rubber, which is equipped with rubber tubes. The features of operation and the high cost of tubeless options make themselves felt. Naturally, the question of how to glue a bicycle camera still remains relevant, especially since this part remains among the leaders not only in terms of re-suitability, but also in terms of replaceability.
What you need to have on hand for prompt rubber repair
The optimal set of tools is already included with the bike. But a repair kit for rubber should be periodically updated, since it has a shelf life of from several months to a year. It will not be difficult to fix a puncture with the help of a repair kit, since it includes everything you need:
How to Patch a Bicycle Inner Tube
- a tube of rubber glue;
- patches of various shapes and diameters;
- mounting blades;
- metal grater for cleaning the area with a puncture.
Some repair kits come with wrenches and detailed instructions with infographics. If there is no glue tube in the box or bag, this may mean that a self-adhesive layer is applied to the patches and it is enough just to press them tightly to the cleaned and prepared puncture site, holding in this position for some time.
In an attempt to find the best solution to the question of how to glue the bicycle camera at home or quickly and efficiently eliminate the puncture right during the trip, bicycle fans are ready to go to various experiments. Meanwhile, there is a 100% effective algorithm that has been tested for decades by many years of application in practice.
So, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to properly glue the bike camera.
- Make sure the flat tire is caused by a puncture and not a nipple problem. To do this, inflate the wheel and check if this area is the cause of air leakage by moistening the hole with soapy water or simply dropping water into it.
- Examine the tire carefully. Clean it from glass fragments and other debris, then remove the wheel and disassemble it.
- Take out the chamber and pump it up to locate the puncture site. This can be done by ear. the air will leave the shell with a hiss. The second option visualizes the problem and allows you to make a better audit of the integrity of the rubber. To do this, water is collected in a basin or any other container, after which sections of the wheel are gradually immersed in it and puncture points are determined where it is necessary to glue the patch. In order not to lose them, you can put marks with a marker or ordinary chalk, outlining the puncture.
- If water was used for diagnostics, let it dry completely before gluing the bicycle tube, then prepare the damaged areas for applying glue and installing a patch.
5. Clean the area at the puncture site to the size of the patch and apply a thin adhesive layer on it.
6. Remove the protective film from the patch and attach it tightly to the rubber surface.
7. Collect the wheel.
What if you don’t have a repair kit at hand? What kind of glue to use? What material to make patches from? How to degrease rubber? In such cases, there is no choice but to glue the bicycle camera with a patch cut from the same rubber from the old camera, but no longer subject to repair, and stored for this purpose. As an adhesive base, you can use any composition, in the target description of which there is a note “for rubber”. Cleaning and degreasing the surface can be done with a piece of sandpaper.
Many are interested in: is it possible to glue the patch with superglue? It is possible, but only in order to get to the place of repair, since elastic rubber quite quickly destroys the hardened glue.
And one more moment, sometimes causing difficulties: which side to glue the patch? The protective layer is removed from a plain, smooth surface, which should be applied to the camera.
How to properly glue the bike camera?
Camera repair is a common thing for cyclists. With a fair amount of knack, they can seal the camera in about 15 minutes. Beginners will need a little more time.
How to Carry your Camera on your Bike
To do everything right, follow the step-by-step instructions:
- Prepare the tool: keys and hexagons (for a bicycle with wheels without an eccentric), plastic assemblies for removing the camera, a vise for pressing the patch to the surface of the camera, a pump, a repair kit. You can do without special tools and even without a patch and glue. These methods will be discussed separately.
- Examine the tire tread. If you find glass or other sharp object, remember or mark this place. Then you won’t have to look for a hole for long.
- Remove the wheel from the bike. Disconnect the rim brakes and fenders (if equipped) first. Turn the vehicle over. Unscrew the retaining bolts. If the wheels are on the eccentric, squeeze the handle and unscrew it a little.
- Remove the camera. To do this, release the air by unscrewing the valve on the nipple (“nipple”). Then insert the mount between the rim and tire straight down. Step back 10-15 cm and insert the second mounting. Pressing down on the mounts, lift the tire and slide it over the rim. Now it can be easily removed by hand. A camera will appear in front of your eyes. You need to get it by removing the valve from the groove in the rim.
- Find the puncture site: pump up the tube and squeeze. A characteristic whistle will be heard. If not, fill a bowl with water and squeeze the camera underwater. Air bubbles will appear from the hole.
- Bleed off the air and sand around the puncture with a grout in a repair kit or fine sandpaper. It is especially important to do this if a seam passes near the damage. For better adhesion, the surface of the camera should be flat and slightly rough (matte).
- Degrease and seal the puncture: wipe the surface with acetone or alcohol, and then apply a small amount of glue to the cleaned area. Spread evenly. Remove the protective foil from the patch and apply glue as well. Wait 1–2 minutes. the glue should thicken and become dull. After that, you need to apply a patch and smooth it down with force, moving from the center to the edges. Next, clamp the glued area in a vice or set the weight for 10 minutes.
- Put the tube, tire, and then the wheel in place. Inflate the camera slightly and insert it into the gap (starting with the “nipple”). Swipe your hands around the circumference of the wheel to set the camera in place. Pump it up and slide the tire over the edge of the rim. Screw on the wheel.
Before putting the repaired tube back on, make sure there is no spoke sticking out of the rim tape or a sharp object stuck in the tire. Examine the details carefully and eliminate anything sharp. Otherwise, the tire will be punctured again immediately.
No patch or glue
When going on a trip, it is advisable for a cyclist to have both a repair kit and a spare camera on hand. But there are different situations.
If you don’t have anything at hand, there are at least two ways to make your bike fit for use:
- Tie a knot on the camera. We remove the camera from the bike and find the puncture site. Let’s go down. We tie a knot so that the puncture is isolated from the main area of the chamber. Pump up and put on the wheel.
- Stuff the tire with cones or grass. We take out the punched camera. We tear the grass or collect the cones (the latter is better). We fill the tire tightly.
The methods may seem barbaric. But they do work. It is better to travel slowly on bumps or with a knot than to drag the bike on yourself for many kilometers.
Cyclists often ask if a bicycle camera can be repaired without a patch. The answer is yes. The bezelless method is gaining popularity.
For repairs, you only need the right glue:
- Cianopan E (blue);
- “Moment” for rubber.
It is important that the superglue is suitable for bonding elastic materials. If you take the usual “Moment” for plastic or textiles, it will crack at the slightest load.
How to glue the camera without a patch:
- Find a hole.
- Lower the camera.
- Squeeze some glue (about the size of a pea) into the puncture site.
- Stretch the rubber gently, allowing the glue to seep into the hole.
- Wait 5-10 minutes.
- Put the camera back in place and pump up.
Using a repair kit
Repair kits are called “bicycle first aid kit”. They consist of spare parts, patches and glue. Expensive kits can be completed with a pump. The standard set includes:
- 6 patches;
- 5 ml of glue;
- 2 beads;
Such a repair kit will cost about 200 rubles. How to use it correctly:
- Dismantle the wheel.
- Determine the puncture site.
- Sand with grout.
- Take a patch of the correct size.
- Peel off the foil.
- Apply glue to the repaired area and patch.
- Wait 1-2 minutes.
- Press down and flatten the patch.
- Continue pressing it in for 10 minutes (use a vise, press).
You can ride a bike with the patch in 15 minutes. But it’s better to leave the camera in a vise for 2 hours.
Using electrical tape, scotch tape, stickers, adhesive plaster
Field renovation is partly a creative process. If you connect your savvy, the camera can be repaired with improvised means. Look in your backpack for adhesive tape or remove the sticker from the frame. And if among the things there is a skein of duct tape or scotch tape. it’s generally great.
How to glue the bike camera with improvised means:
- Find the puncture site and lower the camera.
- Seal the damaged area by pressing the adhesive tape with force.
- Inflate the chamber slightly (until an air bubble begins to form in the hole).
- Wrap the patches tightly on top of 2-3 layers of adhesive tape. You can tear the bag into strips and wrap the camera with it.
Most often, on the road, cyclists notice that the rear wheel is flat. If there is any doubt about the quality of the repair, it is recommended to put the damaged tire on the front wheel and do not lean on the steering wheel while driving. Thus, the load on it will decrease, and the chances of safely reaching the parking lot will increase.
We learned how to deal with punctured cameras quickly, easily and without any effort on the part of the cyclist. All that is needed is to pour anti-puncture liquid inside the chamber and spin the wheel well (drive several kilometers). The composition will be evenly distributed. After that, when a puncture occurs, the liquid will immediately seal the hole and prevent air from escaping. The cyclist will not even notice that the puncture has occurred.
Popular anti-puncture fluids:
The liquid remains active for 2 years and protects against 100 punctures with a diameter of 3–6 mm. That is, during the period declared by the manufacturer, the camera does not have to be glued with your own hands. But you need to take care of safety in advance. Whole, undamaged chambers are filled with sealant.
With a patch without glue
Sometimes the original glue from the repair kit runs out, but the patches remain. In this case, you can resort to the hot vulcanization method.
Vulcanization is a chemical process in which the raw material (raw rubber) is welded into a single compound with the tire.
The method is considered to be very reliable. But it is better to carry it out on special equipment, that is, using a vulcanizer. The device consists of a press and a heating element. The pressure in combination with heating up to 145-150 degrees helps to seal the puncture or cut for 4-25 minutes.
If you don’t have a vulcanizer, you can use an iron to glue the patch without glue at home. For this:
- Remove the camera from the bike.
- Get it down.
- Apply a patch over the damaged area.
- Place a newspaper and a piece of cloth on top.
- With an iron heated to 145 degrees, press down the patch with force.
- Do not remove the iron within 5 minutes.
- Let the rubber cool.