Apply a liberal amount of heavy grease to the lower fork seat and reinstall the bearings. The grease will hold the bearings in place and you can easily fit the fork onto your bike.
Bicycle Repair: How to Recycle a Threaded Steering Column
Despite the fact that threaded head 1 “standard has not been used for a long time in current models of bicycles, there is still a need to service them. Be it the old bicycle of grandfather in the village or the Start-Highway, on which you periodically wind a dozen or two kilometers. We have already described how to maintain and eliminate backlash in this article, however, threaded steering wheels have their own characteristics.
How to disassemble a bike
There are many reasons why you might need to take your bike apart, whether it be storing it, transporting it over long distances, or replacing a part. In any case, it is worth preparing a “surgical room” and have at hand all the necessary instruments for the “operation”. It is better to immediately lay out all the keys, hexagons and lubricants nearby. If there is a stand for the bike frame, feel free to get it out too. A small magnet may also work. For what? Consider in the process of parsing. Well, let’s get started?
How to disassemble a bike yourself
A bicycle is a great vehicle that will take you anywhere, and sometimes faster than public transport and a car. But sometimes situations arise when a large one needs to be disassembled and folded compactly in order to transport it over long distances or leave it for long-term storage in a small cubicle. In this article, we will learn how to disassemble a bike yourself, how to prepare for work, what is the correct sequence for dismantling and packing.
To disassemble the front shield, it is necessary to unscrew the nut on the front fork with a wrench and remove the screws, thereby freeing the shield supports. Then unscrew the screw to secure the guard to the crown of the fork. It is best to turn the front wheel 90⁰ while doing this.
Lower head tube bearings
It is quite easy to get to the lower bearings, you need to raise the frame and the bearings will remain on the fork axis:
We also throw these bearings into a container with a pedestal so that the dirt moves away from them:
I cleaned each ball with a dry and clean napkin and they began to shine again.
Removal of dirt and lubrication of the bearing seats in the steering column.
Now we need to remove the old grease and properly clean the bearing seats. In my case, there was practically no lubrication.
I remove the old grease with a regular rag and after that I fill in all the VD-40, wait a couple of minutes and already with a clean napkin I remove the remnants of dirt and vd-40.
Now that the seats are clean, you can start lubricating them. I took for this. lithol, the one that I use for the bushings.
Lubricate and assemble everything in the reverse order. Steering column maintenance finished.
Please note that when reassembling, you need to correctly set the angle of the steering axis, if this is not done, then when the front brake is pressed, you can feel a backlash. To avoid backlash, you need to loosen the “anchor”, set the correct angle and tighten the “anchor”.
FLO Cycling. Installing the Fork, Stem, & Handlebar
Remove the bearings from the steering wheel. If they are “bulk”, then you can use a small magnet.
How to properly pack your bike
To transport a bicycle, it is advisable to use a special cover. it will not take up much space and will not tear at the most inopportune moment. And the covers are also convenient, because they are often adapted only for bicycles, they have various compartments and s. You can put the bike in a spacious nylon bag, and then tie it tightly on top.
The frame is packed first. we put it as close as possible to one of the walls of the bag so that there is enough space to pack the wheels next to it. They, if the cover is spacious enough, can be put on top of each other, leaving space on the sides for other spare parts. In a flat cover, the wheels are placed next to a small approach to each other.
Parts removed from the bike. handlebar, fork, saddle and transmission parts. are individually wrapped in tight bags or newspaper. This way they will not get lost or damaged during transportation. They can be placed compactly between the frame tubes. Attached accessories are placed in a separate package.
There are many vendor-specific standards. Sometimes this is an attempt to protect their models from modifications, sometimes they are really innovative innovations that just have not yet become generally accepted, and quite rarely it is an integrated column. usually one of the classics.
- Campagnolo is a semi-integrated standard, but the bearing and cup that make up it are tapered. Requires special frame processing.
- Perdido. 4 mm different from the standard semi-integrated ZeroStack semi-integrated kit.
- Columbus. the classic version of the Aheadset for its own unique diameter.
- Onepointfive Standard is a non-segregated wide head tube standard created by a consortium of extreme bike manufacturers.
Take the survey
There are several options for the location of the steering wheel:
- It matches the level of the saddle. This option is perfect for driving at low speeds.
- Located below the level of the saddle. This location is popular with fans of extreme races.
- Position above the saddle. The option is more suitable for leisurely walks.
- Perpendicular to the front wheel. This adjustment is only chosen by professional cyclists.
It is extremely important to adjust the steering wheel height:
- On a children’s bike model. As the child grows up, he needs to install the element in accordance with the height.
- When atypical sounds appear, as well as an unstable position (when braking or descending).
Depending on the bike model, the steering wheel setting has its own specifics. Detailed information is presented in the table.
On a speed bike, the handlebars are low. This is due to the specifics of the ride. You can adjust the height of the handlebars by changing the level of the saddle.
It is extremely difficult to raise the handlebars both on the Forward bike and on some other models. The best option would be to replace the stem or product with a structure with a built-in lifting mechanism. In some cases, the bicycle handlebars can be lifted simply by a nut.
The design of the bike is similar to the road bike, but the level of the handlebars in the mountain bike matches the saddle. Lifting is done by means of an adjustable vehicle stem.
When using the product by different people, the difference in height of more than 20 cm is the reason for changing the height of the handlebars on the bicycle.
Highway “Forward” Mountain
Refers to the threadless type of systems. It differs from the rest by the absence of cups. In other words, the bearings fit directly into the head tube of the frame. There are no rolling grooves in the design. Integrated bicycle headset can contain exclusively industrial bearings.
Systems of the presented type have the lowest weight and simplicity of design. However, they are quite difficult to recover from damage. In addition, there is a significant variation in sizes and models.
Each of the listed columns has its own head tube, and none of the types are interchangeable. So, what types of glasses can be found:
- integrated. glass surface concave inward, truncated chamfers. There are four sizes: 1 “(26.35 mm), 1 and 1/8” (41.1 mm), 1 and 1/8 “Italian (41.95 mm), 1 and 1.8” FSA Standard (41.6 mm);
- semi-integrated. absolutely straight pipe without bulges and concavities, straight chamfer at 90 degrees with a depth of at least 15 mm. The range of sizes is slightly less, and there is no confusion with manufacturers by fractions of an inch: 1 “(41.35 mm), 1 and 1/8” (43.95 mm), 1.5 inches (55.9 mm);
- standard. similar to semi-integrated dimensions and shape, but usually even narrower and smaller. The standards are the same, but the dimensions are different: 1 “(30.05 mm), 1 and 1/8” (33.9 mm), 1.5 inches (49.57 mm).
All sizes have tolerances from half a millimeter to a millimeter, but these should be avoided to avoid fork play, which has a very negative effect on ride quality. It is clear that we are talking about these standards if the column is threadless.
Assembly and repair
Due to its simplicity and low overall load on the steering gear, it does not often require repairs or maintenance. Nevertheless, some operations can and should be done by hand:
- Regular maintenance. at least once a season, you should disassemble the steering unit and check the condition of the bearings, clean it if it appears by abrasive from the rolling grooves, lubrication may come in handy. Change parts in a timely manner if required.
- Height Adjustment. If spacer rings are needed for threadless options, even handlebar extensions are used on threaded steering columns. about this in the article on how the steering wheel is adjusted and how to remove it.
There is nothing difficult in independent work with the steering column. The main thing is to clearly follow the assembly sequence, because the scheme is quite simple, and not to allow distortions during pressing. There is a special tool for this, but it is quite rare, and almost everyone uses simple hammers and mallets, although an unbalanced blow can not only damage the cup or bearing, but also crack the frame.
As a result, after each session of work with the steering mechanism, you should check the integrity of all parts and the absence of backlash on the wheel, because it is quite simple to disassemble and fix them.
How to raise the handlebars correctly on bicycles with different types of speakers
Both professionals and novice riders want a two-wheeled vehicle to be comfortable and safe. An important criterion for comfort is not only the size of the frame, but also the height of the saddle and handlebars. When everything is adjusted correctly, it is easy to ride the vehicle, arms and back are not strained. If saddle adjustment is straightforward, then the question of how to raise the handlebars on a bicycle arises for most people. There is no exact instruction, it all depends on the vehicle model.
Semi-integrated columns usually contain combinations of standard and industrial bearings. The cups of such designs completely go into the inner cavity of the head tube. From the outside, only anthers remain visible.
A semi-integrated bicycle column has a rather complex structure, has a high cost. Despite this, the systems of this plan are considered the most convenient, since they make it possible to set the required steering wheel height without any special difficulties.
How to Replace Bicycle Handlebars. Flat Bars
How to choose the right horns
Horns are subdivided in length into short, medium and long. By material, these are metal (aluminum), carbon fiber (carbon) and plastic. There are also differences in the type of attachment. Below are examples of long aluminum horn (150 mm) and short plastic horns with grips.
It is best to choose long devices. Hands do not slip off them, there are several options for gripping, they protect the hands well from whipping branches.
If you are thinking about how to choose a material, then the best compromise between price, quality and weight is aluminum. At the same time, aluminum arms can be of any color, both with a metallic sheen and matte. Plastic horns are the most unreliable, since plastic is fragile.
Why does a bicycle need horns??
- The horns allow you to change your grip during a long ride. Constant tonic contraction of the flexor muscles of the forearm and hand in one position causes stagnation of blood, constant stress on the same joints leads to painful sensations, and the same static posture can lead to pain and stiffness in the back. Since the horns are located in a different plane, they significantly relieve the hands and temporarily make life easier for the cyclist.
- Cycle horns act as a handlebar limiter and prevent hands from slipping, especially in wet weather without gloves.
- Provides a protective function for the steering equipment if you place the bike upside down.
- If the bike (hopefully, without a cyclist) rolls forward and lands right on the bottom, on solid ground. they save all the steering equipment.
- In motion, you can hang something on the horn, for example, a flashlight or a bag with a loaf, if you are too lazy to put on a backpack.
- If you are exhausted and roll your bike up a steep hill, then it is much more convenient and easier to hold on to the horns, in addition, it is just convenient to hold the bike by the “horns” when crossing a mountain river, for example, on a hike.
- The horn can be fitted with a bicycle rearview mirror, and in the model shown below it is fitted as a folding knife.
- If it rains on the road, it is very convenient to attach the corners of the bike raincoat to the bicycle horns.
- The most important quality of the horns is that they allow standing on the pedals and grabbing them to climb steep hills. This engages additional muscles such as the biceps and abdominal muscles.
- Finally, if there are old, worn-out soft rubber grips on the steering wheel, which constantly “slip”, then installing horns along the edges of the steering wheel solves this issue.
Bicycle horns: what are they and why are they needed
You may ask: why are there horns on the steering wheel, besides the mass of beautiful cables, shifters, brake levers? Then, it’s just cool to start with! The steering wheel takes on an “aggressive”, brutal continuation from a completely different angle. Adults remember the Tourist bicycles, which were a welcome purchase for every fan. In addition to shifting gears, this road bike had a special handlebar curved forward and then rings downward, “ram’s horn”. This, however, was a special shape of the handlebars, which contributed to a more “racing” fit of the cyclist and reduced wind resistance. Thus, this shape of the steering wheel was needed not only for beauty.
Not every bike needs horns: for example, if the main load is distributed to the saddle, the back is held upright, then horns are simply not needed. since the forward tilt of the body is not provided and a large load is not distributed on the arms. An example is the following bicycle model.
On a bike like this, the distribution of gravity is biased towards the arms, so bike horns are very desirable.
What are the disadvantages of horns?
- If you decide to fit bicycle horns, remember that there will be less space on the handlebars. There are two ways out of this: either move the shifters and brake levers to the center of the steering wheel (in the event that the horns are attached to the edge of the steering wheel), or install the horns inside the steering wheel. This option is more dangerous, since the closer the hands are to the center of the steering wheel, the more effort is required to turn, and, therefore, the longer.
- Installing the horns increases the time it takes to pack the bike into and out of the cover, especially if the cover is “back to back”.
- If you hook a passerby with a horned steering wheel, you can cause him more serious injury than a simple steering wheel.
- If cycling tracks are too far out, then in narrow spaces (for example, on a bridge or a narrow forest path), they can suddenly catch on the steering wheel, and, even worse, turn it sharply at a speed at right angles. In this case, a fall over the head is inevitable.
- In addition, if the horns land on the cyclist after a fall, and the bike itself is behind them, they can cause serious injuries, for example, rib fractures.
- It is important that driving with one hand on the horn and with the other showing the direction of the turn is much more difficult than driving with just one hand on the steering wheel. This is due to the fact that in the first case we control a small section of the steering wheel, and there is a much greater risk of incorrect movement.
- In the event of passing a risky section with the possibility of emergency braking, or in the case of descent at high speed, hands should always be removed from the horns and held on the brake levers, otherwise you can lose precious time.
How to install horns
Horns are installed on the bicycle handlebars most often using clamps. You need to be extra careful if you have a carbon fiber handlebar. Look for reinforced seats on it so that it does not crack.
One of the important points is the determination of the installation site. You need to decide if you leave the steering gear in place or move it inward.
Next, you need to decide whether you will move the grips or cut them. Trimming the grips at the ends is used when the horn is installed internally into the end of the handlebars. This option is convenient to save space on the steering wheel.
it is worth recalling the inclination of the horns. Choose the angle that suits you best. You can experiment with any position you want, but it’s best to start at a 45 ° angle with the ground.