Determination of curvature on wheels
So, there is a suspicion of the occurrence of deformation of the wheel, and it remains to determine exactly where it was formed. Turn the bike upside down and fix it clearly.
The first method of identification is visual, which allows you to find the location of large and medium defects. The wheels must be spun strongly, since at low speeds the eights, even the coarsest ones, show poorly. The rear wheel can generally be pedaled.
Curved sections move away from the plane of rotation to the side. At maximum deflection, the wheels must be quickly grasped in this place. It is not easy to do this at high speeds, and the hand can slip off, so it is better to resort to the following method.
The second method. contact, consists in marking the damaged area. As an indicator, you can take a marker, or rather a regular crayon. Spin the wheel and slowly bring the chalk to the rim. The first thing he does is strike a figure eight along the edge of the bulge. After the “top” is determined, the wheel must be spinned even more and continue to bring the chalk closer. This defines the entire area of curvature. As soon as the chalk “runs” over the entire rim, the test can be considered complete. The focus of the figure eight will clearly stand out with a bold line against the background of a pale stripe along the entire circumference.
Deformation of the “eight” type. what is it
Bicycle wheel curvature is associated with a misalignment of the rim configuration. In other words, the wheel is no longer round. A common variant is the so-called figure eight, when there is a deviation of part (or several parts) of the rim from the plane of rotation. When rotating, these areas describe trajectories in the form of eights around the central axis of rotation. When riding a bicycle, this defect is expressed in wobbling or wobbling on the go.
Riding with eights is possible, but it is unlikely to be a pleasure. In addition, deformed wheels are less resistant to stress, which will lead to further distortion and complete unsuitability of the rim. Can I fix a figure eight on a bicycle wheel myself? Yes, and it’s not difficult at all. How to do this in the article.
How to fix a figure eight wheel on a bicycle?
Of all the components of a bicycle, the most conservative is the spoke wheel. This type of wheel is fitted to most bikes and has a simple design: a center hub, rim and spokes that connect the rim to the pivot. During the operation of the bicycle, the wheel is subject to static, dynamic and shock loads, as a result of which changes in its shape can often occur.
Elimination of defects in a bicycle wheel
When the area of curvature of the wheel is found, it’s time to start straightening it. Every owner of a two-wheeled vehicle can do it with their own hands, especially since such problems can arise with enviable regularity. There are two ways to eliminate the figure eight on your own:
How to true a bike wheel at home without wheel stand
- Power straightening, or “knee” as cyclists say.
- Wheel Spoke Tightening and Loosening Method.
To remove the bend in this way, you will need to remove the wheel from the frame. In this case, you do not need to remove the tire with the camera. Turn the bulge towards you and grab the rim and tire on both sides. With medium deformations, the optimal grip of the wheel is position “10” and “2”, that is, 60 degrees to both sides of the eight. We put the knee to the most convex area and press hard from ourselves.
How To True A Bike Wheel Without A Truing Stand
What position of the wheel will best allow the rim to align? If there is enough strength in the leg, then you can press on the weight. An alternative is to place the wheel vertically with the defective section up. This is where the help of a partner is needed. He must firmly press the wheel to the floor. After straightening, the wheel is put on the frame and checked again by the rotation method.
This method cannot be called effective for several reasons:
- Can’t bend small bends.
- The rim may bend to the other side.
- Low accuracy.
- Not every rim can be subjected to simple force so easily.
This method works relatively well somewhere on the road, when the figure eight was formed suddenly due to a swoop on a large obstacle and it must be urgently straightened in order to reach the destination.
Wheel spoke adjustment
Attention! The spoke tension should only be changed with a spoke wrench, and never with pliers or adjustable wrenches.!
It will take patience to align a figure eight on a bicycle wheel, especially for first-timers. Tires must be completely removed.
Check the tension of all spokes first. Often times, the rim is bent due to their overall weakening. It is easy to check this: when the spokes are clearly dangling and “obeying” the fingers like strings on a guitar, then they need to be tightened by about 1 turn over the entire wheel. If such a problem is not observed, then nothing needs to be touched: this way you can only aggravate the eight.
We mark the defective area and proceed to the “central” spoke. the one located at the bulge. The turn of the spoke is carried out in the direction opposite to the direction of the bulge. The spokes on the sides of it are loosened. With a figure eight for three needles, the straightening scheme is as follows:
- Tightening the central quarter turn key.
- Weakening of the outer needles by an eighth of a turn: the weakening force is half the tension in the center.
With an eight for 7 spokes, wheel repair is done as follows:
- The center is pulled half a turn.
- Weaken two spokes (second and third) on the sides by ¼ turn of the key.
- 1/8 tightens the fourth and fifth needles.
- The sixth and seventh (extreme) needles are loosened by 1/8 of a turn.
The alternation of pulling and stretching is carried out in such a way that the outer needles on the figure eight are loosened. To check the result, the wheel is hung on the bike and tested for residual curvature. If the figure eight is bent in the opposite direction, you should remove all tension and increase the tightening torque on the loose knitting needles and repeat the procedure again, but with less tightening and loosening forces.
Despite the fact that you have to tinker a lot, you can achieve the ideal result. straightening the wheel to an even circle. And if the first time the work may take too long, then with the subsequent occurrence of the eight, the repair will go much faster. Now, when a defect appears on the wheel, you can not put the bike aside, but quickly adjust the spokes yourself and resume trips.
Tools for repair
Eliminating the figure eight on the wheel will require the use of the following tools:
- Spoke wrench, which reduces or increases the tension of the spokes and eliminates the malfunction;
- chalk or colored marker, with which you can mark a defect on the rim.
- Bicycle rim removal tool: An essential tool for every cyclist (but if tubeless tires are used then you have to try hard to remove the tire).
Deformation elimination algorithm
First you need to determine the problem area as accurately as possible, identifying the lesion focus. Next, you need to find the central wire in the affected area.
Please note: if the figure eight falls to the right side, the first step is to tighten (or loosen) the spoke on the opposite side with a spoke wrench.
After performing the manipulation (you need to tighten the needle little by little, by about 1/3 of a turn), you must immediately check the result. Next, in the same way, you need to tighten the adjacent knitting needles on the opposite side. The number of key turns for tightening adjacent spokes should be approximately two times less than the central spoke tightened. As you move away from the deformation site, the number of revolutions should gradually decrease in proportion.
How to fix a figure eight on a bicycle wheel
If your wheel is bent and you don’t know how to fix it, you are in the right place. I have already come across this problem and I will tell you just the repair is possible, everything is quite simple. over, I will say that the problem that you are faced with will most likely arise at an enviable frequency if you love your bike and ride it several times a week. Therefore, it is worth learning this once, so that in the future you can remove the breakdown yourself every time it occurs.
- How defects can form and why?
- What tools we may need to eliminate defects?
- General algorithm for eliminating problems with a deformed wheel
- How to straighten a wheel in practice and how to determine exactly where the figure eight goes on a bicycle wheel
You also need to know how to glue the bike camera. Also, be sure to read how much pressure you need to inflate the wheels of the bike here.
How to tell if your wheel is okay. Simply place the bike upside down on the saddle and handlebars with the wheels up. Spin the problematic wheel, as you think, (spin it in the sense of rotating it around its axis) and check it first by eye. If everything is in order with the wheel, then it will rotate around the axis absolutely evenly. If there is a figure eight, then it should be visible to the naked eye, or more often something like the beating of a wheel in a certain place. It is necessary to look at the wheel in profile and in face, since the bending of the wheel can occur in different directions.
Types of bends that are possible in principle:
the most common type of defects is wheel eight,
egg bending is also common. This is when the wheel loses its circle shape and begins to resemble an egg.,
The wheel is curved like an egg. The dotted line shows how it should be
Umbrella curvature. Dotted line as it should be
How defects can form and why
There is a widespread belief that the wheel can change its shape if you do not ride carefully, when driving over bumps or during unsuccessful jumps. This is all true. That is, all this, of course, affects the rapid wear. But that’s not the only reason a wheel can break. When the cyclist sits on the bike, the wheels are already loaded in the vertical direction. Further, when braking at speeds, the wheels can deform, forming eights. When maneuvering (cornering) in any direction and hard braking. In general, I think you can not explain what sloppy driving is, you yourself understand everything perfectly. So caring for your bike can put off the problem, but over time you will come back to it anyway. Even if you ride very carefully on a good road, such is the specificity of a bicycle.
Of course, everything still depends to a large extent on the wheel rim itself, on its physical characteristics. Therefore, when buying a bicycle, one should pay the seller’s attention to such things, wondering how long the wheels can last, how they react to the deformations described above. So on cheap bicycles, the rims are correspondingly less strong. And various bends (egg and eights) of the wheels can form much earlier than on their more expensive and high-quality counterparts.
In general, how the problem can arise, I think you already understood. So let’s get straight to how to solve the problem and align your wheel.
What tools we may need to fix defects So, in order to fix your wheel, you may need:
We need the spoke key to loosen and tighten the wheel spokes. I must say right away that you won’t have to tighten up much. You will gradually tighten the knitting needles and check the results immediately.
General algorithm for eliminating problems with a deformed wheel
We determine the general algorithm in which specific place the figure eight begins and where it ends (we select the lesion focus). The next step is to find the center needle in the figure eight and work with it. If our figure eight falls to the left side, select the spoke on the opposite side and pull it up to a distance of less than one turn of the spoke key.
So, again, how do you fix a figure eight on a bike? To fix the wheel, we select a section where there is an eight, and along the length of this entire section, we loosen and tighten the spokes going one after the other. On one side of the wheel we loosen the spokes, on the other we tighten. When the required operations have been completed with all the spokes, we rotate the wheel again and see the correct movement of the wheel around the axis. If it gets worse, we return the knitting needles to their previous place and make the tightening-weakening less. Thus, the skew in one direction leading to the figure eight will gradually level out. In order to perfectly align the figure eight, you will have to patiently and painstakingly perform all the above actions slowly (i.e. we twist a little).
The larger eight is treated in the same way as the small
The wheel is flattened by an egg, the straightening algorithm is slightly different. We only pull up the right side
The egg-on-wheel defect occurs most often due to unsuccessful landings. It flattens strictly vertically. Quite often, an egg in combination with an eight is found on the wheel. So, having corrected one, do not forget to correct the other. Unlike the figure eight, an egg-type defect is treated by pulling the knitting needles on both sides. We also identify the lesion and gradually, as shown in the picture above, we need to straighten the egg by pulling the knitting needles. It will be said below, but it is necessary to ensure that all the spokes are not overtightened or, on the contrary, too loose.
How to straighten a wheel in practice and how to determine exactly where the figure eight of a bicycle wheel goes
How to determine exactly where the eight passes. Masters who have gotten their hands on in this matter can fix the problem without improvised means (crayons and other things). You will have to edit the wheel first with the use of chalk. Spin (rotate) the wheel and gradually bring the chalk to the rim of the wheel rotating in the axle. In those places where there is an eight, the chalk will touch the rim and scribble serifs on it. So you define an eight for yourself.
I saw another great option on how to straighten a figure eight on a bicycle wheel in one video. We take ear sticks. On both sides of the wheel we have front fork stays. We attach ear sticks to these feathers on the scotch tape from both sides and, just like with a crayon, rotating the wheel, gradually bring the ear sticks to the wheel rim and mark the places where they begin to clearly touch the rim with chalk. Quite a convenient option, since it can be quite problematic to hold the chalk on the weight. If your wheel is flattened like an egg, that is, it has lost its perfectly round shape, we do everything the same as for the figure eight, only we just bring the chalk from the outside of the rim where the tire with the camera should be.
As you can see from the above, eliminating the figure eight on a bicycle is not a very difficult process, and what is most pleasant is available to everyone. The only thing I want to add is that when you have done all the work on aligning the figure eight on the bike, be sure to check all the other spokes. What shouldn’t be? The spokes should not be loose or overtightened. Freely dangling spokes can break, so carefully tighten them and repeat the wheel adjustment again. If the spokes are too tight they can pierce the pin or wheel rim. Craftsmen advise if you have tuned the wheel and everything suits you, but some spokes stick out from the wheel rim, you can sharpen them, for example, with a file, so as not to pierce the camera.
As a result, I would like to say that it is better to learn how to do all this yourself once than to go to the workshop every time. Personally, I remember the workshops as would-be masters who do not have time to serve everyone, so they do everything in haste. And you are the owner of the bike and you can do everything unhurriedly, unhurriedly, literally and accurately. So go ahead and buy spoke wrenches and fix your bike wheels!
All of the above may require special cycling tools from you.
Pedals on the bike find out the reason here.
To eliminate the figure eight, you first need to find the place of the defect on the rim. To do this, spin the wheel and slowly bring a piece of chalk to the side of the rim. Mark with chalk the place where the rim is deformed (the chalk starts to touch the rim at this point). Thus, we determine in what place the “eight” is located, and in which direction the rim is deformed.
To eliminate the figure eight, you need to tighten the spokes on one side of the rim and loosen their tension on the other side. over, this must be done in concert. otherwise another defect may appear on the rim. an “egg”.
1) “Eight” is small, the defective place was between two adjacent spokes.
We tighten one knitting needle, for example, by 1/3 turn, and weaken the adjacent one also by 1/3 turn.
2) “Eight” is small, the defective spot turned out to be opposite to some spoke.
We tighten this knitting needle, for example, by 1/4 of a turn, and weaken two adjacent ones by 1/8 of a turn.
3) “Eight” affects several adjacent spokes.
The needles that are closer to the center of the defect are tightened or loosened more than those that are at the edges.
After that, spin the wheel again and see what has changed. If the figure eight has become larger than it was, then we return all the nipples of the spokes to their original position, and once again we figure out in which direction they need to be turned. If it has decreased, but not completely, it means that we are on the right track, but we still need to tighten the nipples in the same direction.
To eliminate the “egg”, you also first need to find the defect on the rim. To do this, we spin the wheel (with the tire removed) and slowly bring a piece of chalk to the rim (not from the side, but from the outside). Mark with chalk the place where the rim is deformed (the chalk in this place starts to touch the rim). Thus, we determine where the protruding part of the “egg” is located.
To eliminate the “egg” it is necessary to tighten the spokes on both sides of the rim.
over, this must be done in concert. otherwise, the “eight” may appear on the rim.
If we tighten one knitting needle by half a turn of the key, then two adjacent ones must be tightened by a quarter of a turn.
Usually for beginners, this process must be repeated several times before the “eight” or “egg” disappears. Then, as experience appears, small defects will disappear from the first or second attempt.
When eliminating eights, it is important to remember two features:
First, the spokes must not be overtightened (the rim or nipples could be damaged). If during the editing process one or more spokes are overtightened, loosen them together with the adjacent spokes and repeat the adjustment.
Secondly, the spokes must not be loosened (otherwise they will break when riding). If during the editing process one or more spokes are loosened, you need to tighten them together with the adjacent spokes, and then repeat the adjustment.
That’s all, as you can see, the elimination of the figure eight and / or the egg on the bicycle wheel is not at all such a difficult matter, a little effort and patience and you can safely drive the wheels yourself, without resorting to mechanics.
We are not responsible for the rims damaged by you.
Thanks to an unknown author for the article.
A figure eight on a bicycle wheel is the most common deformation. Today, when creating bicycles, the latest technologies are used, but even on an ultramodern bike, the wheel remains very conservative, spoke. The design in this case does not represent anything complicated: the bushing, but the rim and the spokes that unite them. During operation, every cyclist is faced with wheel deformation. And the appearance of the “eight” on the wheel is far from uncommon. This is due to a violation of the integrity of the rim and looseness of the spokes.
And yet why does this deformation occur? During operation, the wheel is inevitably subjected to stress as soon as the cyclist takes his place on the saddle. We add road irregularities. pits, bumps, poor coverage or lack thereof, and the question of the reasons for the emergence of “eights” disappears by itself. In addition, inexperienced cyclists often distribute their weight incorrectly on the bike, which also increases the load. Sharp braking, jumping and other extreme sports, as well as long-term operation, also make it necessary to adjust the wheels.
As you can see, during operation, the bike experiences loads that are least dependent on your riding style. Over time, the geometry of the wheel rim changes. it deforms. The speed of its manifestation depends on the presence of defects in the rim (figure eight, displacement of the “umbrella” and “egg”). It should be noted that the service life of wheels often also depends on the materials from which they are made and their quality. Sometimes inexpensive models may require repair much earlier than those made from expensive components (for example, a high-strength rim).
How to tell if a wheel is bent?
When there is a suspicion that the wheel has lost its original shape, the bike should be turned over and a thorough inspection should be started.
First you need to inspect the wheel in the place of the expected curvature. To do this, spin it, while in the case of the rear one, you can do this using the pedals. It is visually obvious that the curved sections move to the side during rotation. Now it remains to grab it with your hand in that place and stop it, which is quite difficult.
Another, more powerful way is to use a crayon or marker. When spinning the wheel, it must be brought to the rim. First of all, the stroke will remain on the bulge of the figure-of-eight. By spinning more strongly and bringing the chalk closer to the rim, you can also determine the boundaries of the curvature.
How to fix the “eight”
And now the curvature is found. Each cyclist can fix it with his own efforts, and, given that deformation is not a rare phenomenon, valuable experience comes over time. There are two ways to get rid of the “disease”:
tightening and loosening the wheel spokes.
Required set of tools for deformation elimination:
1) chalk to mark the area with a defect;
2) a spoke key;
3) wheel straightening machine (desirable, but not required).
The figure eight, small in size, can be eliminated without dismantling the wheel. To diagnose the problem, turn the bike upside-down to check that the wheel is in the correct position relative to the brake pads. This process can be divided into several operations. First you need to identify the deformation. As the wheel rotates, press a piece of chalk onto it. In places where the figure eight is formed, you will see a corresponding trace. This simple method will help you determine the exact location of the rim deformation.
Next is the tightening and loosening of the knitting needles, but only from a certain side, which will be described in detail below. If such manipulations are performed with inaccuracies, you can give the wheel even greater deformation. There are several ways in which it can be removed.
Considering this scenario possible, the wheel should be removed from the frame. However, the tire and the camera should not be removed. We turn the wheel with the bulge towards ourselves and grab the rim and tire with our hands. At the same time, the average deformation requires a hand position equal to 10 and 2 o’clock on the dial. We use the knee, putting it on the convex area, and push hard from ourselves.
If there is enough strength, this is done by weight. Or you can position the wheel vertically, with the deformed section up. In this case, the help of a partner is required, who will press the wheel to the floor. After this extreme straightening, the wheel is returned to the frame and tested.
But this method is not always effective. It is not accurate, small deformations are not corrected. Among other things, inept actions can provoke new bends. Yes, and not every rim will succumb to the impact of the foot. high-strength modern wheels will remain “on their own”. Although, if the wheel let you down somewhere along the way and the “eight” happened suddenly due to, for example, hitting a large stone, “force straightening” is the only possible way.
Wheel spoke adjustment
Bicycle running characteristics often depend on the correct tension of the spokes. The tension on the spokes adds strength and elasticity to the wheel. In this case, the tires are removed, the tension of each spoke is carefully checked. It happens that the rim is bent as a result of their general weakening. In a situation where the spokes dangle like guitar strings, they should be tightened 1 turn of the key. In the found area of curvature, a spoke is searched for, located in its center, that is, at the bulge itself. The turn of the knitting needle must be carried out in the direction opposite to the direction of the bulge. In this case, the spokes located on the sides of the central one are weakened.
If the figure eight is between the two nearest knitting needles, then using a special key, the first knitting needle is tightened by a third of a turn, and the knitting needle next to it is twisted in the opposite direction, loosening the clamp by a third. If the figure eight is three knitting needles, the following actions are taken:
tightening the central spoke by a quarter of a turn with a key;
slight loosening of the outer needles (half the tension in the center).
If the figure eight has a size of seven spokes, the procedure is as follows:
the central spoke is tightened by half a turn;
the second and third needles must be loosened by a quarter of a turn;
the fourth and fifth are tightened by one eighth;
the sixth and seventh (i.e. extreme) are weakened by one eighth.
That is, the alternation of tension and stretching of the spokes should be carried out so that the outermost spokes of the “figure eight” are weakened. After the procedure, the wheel is installed in its place and tested for possible distortions. If the figure eight is bent in the opposite direction, all tension is eliminated and tightening on the weakened spokes is increased. After which everything is repeated, but to a lesser extent. The result of a long operation is the alignment of the wheel to a perfectly flat circle. At first, the work will not go so quickly, but with the acquisition of experience, the speed of adjusting the spokes also increases.
Change the needles
Not all craftsmen know how to assemble wheels efficiently, and therefore it is best to learn how to do it yourself. The assembly is carried out according to a certain algorithm.
Knitting needles work:
it is necessary to lubricate the thread of the spoke and the rim in places where there is contact with the nipples, otherwise the spoke will not be tensioned with sufficient rigidity;
in a situation where the flanges of the hub have a countersink on the only side, the spoke heads are on the non-channeled one, it is needed to bend the spoke;
nine spokes are inserted into the flange so that there is an unoccupied hole between them, and so that the heads are located on the outside. In a rear wheel situation, start from the right side of the hub;
on the rim, among the holes shifted to the right, you should find the one closest to the hole for the camera nipple;
the first spoke is attached to this hole, it is considered the key;
from the key spoke, four holes should be counted, moving clockwise, put the next spoke and wrap the nipple;
as a result, there should be three unoccupied holes between the knitting needles, the knitting needle closest to the valve hole is located to the right of it, and the cut part of the sleeve is facing the master;
then the remaining seven spokes are fixed, while every fourth hole in the rim is used;
after turning the wheel, nine more spokes are connected to the rim, inserted into the left flange from the outside;
the tenth spoke should be to the right of the key, adjacent to it, but not crossing;
after mounting the tenth knitting needle, the next eight are recruited in the sequence specified above;
and now the drive spokes are already in place and their heads are on the outside of the flange. In this case, the nipples are turned only for a certain number of turns;
tension spokes are installed with heads on the inside of the flange. A spoke is threaded into the flange hole and the sleeve is rotated so that all the spokes in place receive a certain direction that is closest to the tangent relative to the flange. The first tensioning needle must cross the three driving ones standing in place, while each tensioning needle must pass from the outside of the first two crossed by it under the third, also crossed;
the rest of the spokes get on the same principle.
Before tightening the spokes, screw all the nipples equally. Then you need to start the process by screwing each nipple one turn. If there is a “shiver” in the needles, the tension is increased. We install the wheel for testing and remove all defects of the “eight” type.
Eliminating radial runout
An oval “egg” wheel rim looks like this: one part of the rim is closer to the center than the rest. This wheel flaw appears after unsuccessful landings. Fixing such a breakdown is much more difficult than the usual eight:
1) remove the tire and inspect the rim;
2) turn the bike body over, spin the wheel, holding an object on top. Mark with chalk the part of the rim that will lift the item;
3) simultaneously trace three directions:
– loosen the tension from the center spoke;
– pull the adjacent knitting needles by the same number of revolutions so that there are no eight;
– the spokes at the opposite end of the wheel should be tightened to prevent the appearance of an “egg” in another place.
To eliminate such an eight, considerable experience is needed, the process is characterized by its own difficulties. After correcting the “eggs”, you need to press on the knitting needles with all their weight, as in the above scheme. to shrink them. Editing “Umbrella”
Cyclists are familiar with the concept of an umbrella. The defect is as follows: the wheel rim is displaced to one side and is not perfectly aligned with the center of the hub. How severe this bias is for the bike itself depends on the frame design and the brake configuration. This type of malfunction often occurs when the wheel is not assembled correctly. The “umbrella” is eliminated by analogy, like the usual figure eight. On the one hand, you need to tighten the knitting needles, and on the other, loosen them. Unlike the elimination of the usual figure eight, in the process of editing the umbrella, the effort for each next knitting needle should not be weaker, but maintain uniformity around the entire circumference.
Eights appear on the wheels of even the most experienced and savvy cyclists. In order to straighten a wheel, you need to remember a few simple rules. Always overtighten the wheel spokes. there is a risk of damage to the rim. If during straightening one or more of the knitting needles are overtightened, loosen them and the adjacent knitting needles. Only then repeat the adjustment again.
When riding a bicycle, the spokes often break, being in a state of weakening. If during the pulling procedure one or more spokes of the wheel are loosened, be sure to tighten them in order to repeat the adjustment after that.
Original publication. on cortobike.ru
My VK vk.com/id263241899
Useful videos from my channel about bike repair.
1) Rear wheel hub service. de-news.net/online/video-xUPosWduKeQ.html
2) Front wheel hub service. de-news.net/online/video-Rm1Eiu-0VQ4.html
3) How to fix, align the figure eight on the bike wheel de-news.net/online/video-4hLX9zLG-hw.html
4) Brakes v brake setting, how to adjust and install on the bike de-news.net/online/video-JMjIyswdeKs.html
5) Solid oil and lithol 24 can be lubricated or not. de-news.net/online/video-UHLT-emvXng.html
6) KT-305 how the hub with a foot brake works, maintenance, mechanism arrangement. de-news.net/online/video-RYPA-kUBDcc.html
7) Backlash and wobble, rear or front wheel spins, how to eliminate. de-news.net/online/video-6MGTZxuNr_s.html
8) Replacing and configuring the rear crossover de-news.net/online/video-MSf3KCkxLXc.html
9) Adjusting the front overhaul of the bike de-news.net/online/video-bKvnDcujDRg.html
10) How to soften the fork on a bike. de-news.net/online/video-dhNAGnITNbs.html
11) plug sr suntour XCT restoration and repair de-news.net/online/video-xtkmw57stZo.html
12) Repair of a simple spring bike fork de-news.net/online/video-GDIhFqT478k.html
13) Replacing the carriage on a bicycle, how to remove the cranks, how to remove the carriage, how to disassemble the carriage. de-news.net/online/video-jUHX5yEjLGg.html
14) Bicycle rear sprocket ratchet, how to disassemble the ratchet. de-news.net/online/video-uVSXTTea5M8.html
15) The length of the chain, how to determine the length of the chain, remove and tighten the chain on the bike. de-news.net/online/video-8O43SJx_SyU.html
16) How to disconnect, rivet, bicycle chain. de-news.net/online/video-TwOJQMli3zY.html
17) How to use a bicycle chain squeezer, a secret. de-news.net/online/video-myRb_vhrVZQ.html
18) How and how to paint a bicycle frame made of aluminum or stainless steel at home. de-news.net/online/video-hC2JfecGOtc.html
19) Replacing the front fork of the bike de-news.net/online/video-i-FZYG-MoUY.html
20) Squeaking, crunching and knocking on the pedals and the carriage of the bicycle, how to fix it. de-news.net/online/video-DM7Y2LfZCCc.html
21) How to disassemble and assemble a carriage on a bicycle, replacing bearings. de-news.net/online/video-w5kpzDlSNHo.html
22) Repair, disassemble the bicycle pedals. Installing how to remove the pedals from the bike. de-news.net/online/video-Dy4FljsBKTI.html
23) How to Calculate the Length of Bicycle Spokes, Spoke Calculator. de-news.net/online/video-mzp9m-4oijc.html
24) How to spoke, replace, spokes on a 36-spoke bicycle wheel. de-news.net/online/video-K2edaZyOePM.html
25) How to replace or install brake pads on bicycle disc brakes. de-news.net/online/video-aZ4uJqOFue4.html
26) Shimano Tourney rear crossover repair, restoration. de-news.net/online/video-W0Vf4JqH30o.html
27) Rear shifter Shimano sis. repair, restoration. de-news.net/online/video-1b_O02HIufc.html
28) How to learn to ride a bike independently for an adult and a child. de-news.net/online/video-xIP00mBnxnk.html
29) BOLI and FLAME disc brakes, installation, tuning and adjustment. de-news.net/online/video-7a7H8ymR-7o.html
30) Backlash, ratchet rear sprocket on a bicycle, how to clean, what is the reason. de-news.net/online/video-OaCk3Jfe698.html
31) How to glue, glue the bicycle camera correctly, 1 bar = 0.986 atm
Reasons for the appearance
Repair of the “eight” wheel of a bicycle is a common problem that requires surgical intervention. The fact is that the front and rear wheels in an upright position experience all kinds of stress, even when a person just sits down on the saddle. And driving on a highway with potholes and holes exacerbates this impact.
A person without experience cannot correctly distribute body weight, cannot turn correctly, slow down smoothly and not jump. All these actions lead to the appearance of defects due to which the question arises: “how to remove the” eight “on a bicycle wheel?”
- Central tightens 1/2 turn.
- The side needles from it are loosened by 1/4 turn.
- The following needles are tightened 1/8 of a turn.
- The outer needles are loosened by 1/8 of a turn.
Please note that only painstaking and gradual work in several stages will help to repair the “eight” on a bicycle and restore it for a convenient and comfortable ride.
How to align a figure eight on a wheel
Causes of deformation of the “eight” type
When creating modern bikes, manufacturers use the latest technologies, but the disc design still remains outdated, spoke. Small curvatures do not lead to tangible troubles when driving, they can be tolerated for a long time. Ordinary deviations can lead to dangerous situations, such a malfunction must be eliminated.
There is an opinion that the “eight” on a bicycle is a consequence of active and careless riding. Driving over bumps, uneven surfaces, unsuccessful jumps, dashing turns lead to deformation. These factors inevitably affect the geometry of the rim, but they are not the only reasons for the formation of the “eight”. During operation, the driving style has the least effect on the appearance of distortions.
The vertically directed load occurs already when you get on the bike. Abrupt braking at speed leads to deformation, the “figure eight” begins to form. Biking and cornering at high incline speeds only exacerbate the problem.
This is especially true for those who like to perform jumps on a bicycle. Not all bike models are equipped with special shock absorbers that partially compensate for the load upon landing. The jump irreversibly changes the geometry of the wheel of the bicycle, it is not easy to eliminate such a defect.
Careless driving cannot explain all the reasons for the emergence of the “eight”. Even if you ride very carefully on a perfectly smooth road, deformation will be observed over time. this is a characteristic feature of bicycle operation. The more kilometers traveled, the more often there will be a need to adjust the wheels of your bike.
A high-quality rim, made technologically correct, significantly reduces the possibility of forming a “figure eight”. On cheap models of bicycles, defects may already be present at the time of purchase, respectively, repairs will need to be done almost immediately after the start of operation. On a poor quality rim, curvature develops after the first few rides.
How to fix, align, remove the figure eight on a bicycle wheel video
My VK https://vk.com/id263241899
Useful videos from my channel about bike repair.
1) Rear wheel hub service. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUPosWduKeQ
2) Front wheel hub service. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm1Eiu-0VQ4
3) How to fix, align the figure eight on the bike wheel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hLX9zLG-hw
4) Brakes v brake setting, how to adjust and install on the bike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMjIyswdeKs
5) Solid oil and lithol 24 can be lubricated or not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHLT-emvXng
6) KT-305 how the hub with a foot brake works, maintenance, mechanism arrangement. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYPA-kUBDcc
7) Backlash and wobble, rear or front wheel spins, how to eliminate. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MGTZxuNr_s
8) Replacing and adjusting the rear crossover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSf3KCkxLXc
9) Adjusting the front crossover of the bike https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKvnDcujDRg
10) How to soften the fork on a bike. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhNAGnITNbs
11) Fork sr suntour XCT restoration and repair https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtkmw57stZo
12) Repairing a simple spring bike fork https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDIhFqT478k
13) Replacing the carriage on a bicycle, how to remove the cranks, how to remove the carriage, how to disassemble the carriage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUHX5yEjLGg
14) Bicycle rear sprocket ratchet, how to disassemble the ratchet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVSXTTea5M8
15) The length of the chain, how to determine the length of the chain, remove and tighten the chain on the bike. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O43SJx_SyU
16) How to disconnect, rivet, bicycle chain. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwOJQMli3zY
17) How to use a bicycle chain squeezer, a secret. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myRb_vhrVZQ
18) How and how to paint a bicycle frame made of aluminum or stainless steel at home. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC2JfecGOtc
19) Replacing the front bike fork https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-FZYG-MoUY
20) Squeaking, crunching and knocking on the pedals and the carriage of the bicycle, how to fix it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM7Y2LfZCCc
21) How to disassemble and assemble a carriage on a bicycle, replacing bearings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5kpzDlSNHo
22) Repair, disassemble the bicycle pedals. Installing how to remove the pedals from the bike. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy4FljsBKTI
23) How to Calculate the Length of Bicycle Spokes, Spoke Calculator. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzp9m-4oijc
24) How to spoke, replace, spokes on a 36-spoke bicycle wheel. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2edaZyOePM
25) How to replace or install brake pads on bicycle disc brakes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ4uJqOFue4
26) Back shifter Shimano Tourney repair, restoration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Vf4JqH30o
27) Rear shifter Shimano sis. repair, restoration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b_O02HIufc
28) How to learn how to ride a bike independently for an adult and a child. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIP00mBnxnk
29) BOLI and FLAME disc brakes, installation, tuning and adjustment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a7H8ymR-7o
30) Backlash, ratchet rear sprocket on a bicycle, how to clean, what is the reason. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaCk3Jfe698
31) How to glue, glue the bicycle camera correctly, 1 bar = 0.986 atm
Video How to fix, align, remove the figure eight on a bicycle wheel video channel oleg7en