How to adjust the speed switch on a bike
It often happens that either the speeds on the bike are NOT switched clearly, or some new transmission elements have been installed. In this case, you will need to adjust the speed switch and it is quite possible to do this work on your own, without contacting specialized workshops.
How to remove
Disconnection is tenacious here. We have already studied this procedure in detail in the material on how to change the chain on a bicycle with shifting gears. If there is no lock, then squeeze will be required. But in the future, we advise you NOT to give up such a convenient thing as a chain lock.
It is advisable to wash the removed chain. It is important to choose the means, which we have mentioned more than once in the corresponding publication. Although the result of research on technology, how and how to clean a bicycle chain at home. Impressed. We came to the conclusion that it is most convenient to do this with a high-pressure jet, and right on the bike.
- Disconnect the cable from it.
- Disconnect the frame clamp.
Why is the front derailleur rubbing into the chain
To understand what is the matter, one such symptom is not enough. Specify which gear it is in:
- Hits on the middle star. A skewed gear is used or the cable is under / too tight.
- It only clings to the first asterisk. The frame restriction (bolt L) is incorrectly set, the chain is strongly skewed or the cable is overtightened.
- Rubbing on the biggest star. The border for large gears (bolt H) is poorly adjusted, the chain is skewed or the cable is understretched.
Note. The grip can touch the frame in any gear, if the edges of the frame structure are NOT parallel to the stars.
Cycling Front Derailleur Adjustment
At some point, any BIKE has to repair and adjust the front derailleurs (FPS) on bicycles. The frequency of repairs, as a rule, depends on the cheapness of the product. There are many reasons for the failure of the switch and it makes no sense to analyze them all. The principle of operation will be the same. This article describes the detailed steps for setting and adjusting switches.
Transfer work scheme
Before adjusting the front derailleur on your bike, we recommend that you study its design. With this knowledge, it is much easier for the performer to navigate the settings and understand the purpose of each of them.
The focus is only on Shimano products as the Most Popular. In fact, the differences between Japanese products and American SRAM are practically lacking. As well as between cheap Tourney and expensive Deore. Moreover, if you delve into the principle of operation and the essence of the tuning, then it will not matter to you which bike is in front of you: a budget Stealth with a Shimano Altus front shifter or an expensive Cube with a super-light Deore XT.
We will understand the device by the photo of the Alivio series switch:
- Inner and outer part of the guide frame. There is a chain between them. The function of the framework configuration is to move tenaciously from one star to another.
- A spring-loaded parallelogram to which a frame is attached. Moves when tensioning / loosening the cable, dragging the frame structure.
- Cable fixing bolt. By means of a cable, the shifter moves the parallelogram.
- End position adjusting bolts (L and H). With their help, the border positions of the frame are adjusted so that the chain does NOT jump off the first and third stars.
- Clamp. Secures the transfer to the center tube (into which the seatpost is inserted).
How to adjust the front derailleur
There is also a clear and simple step-by-step guide for adjusting the front derailleur:
- Shift the chain to a smaller star.
- Unscrew the fixing screw and release the cable.
- We find the screw marked “L”, with its help we adjust the position of the frame so that the chain is between the plates of the frame, but at the same time does NOT touch them.
- We stretch the cable, fix it with a screw.
- Now we move the chain in the cassette to a smaller sprocket. it is convenient to do this using the rear derailleur.
- In front of it, with the switch, move the chain to the middle star and look. if the chain on the second one touches the outer side of the frame everywhere, then you need to increase the tension of the cable using the drum located on the left shifter.
- Shift the gear to the largest sprocket in the cassette and check. if the chain touches the frame walls, you need to move the last element so that the chain is in the middle. This manipulation can be done using a screw marked “H”.
Front Derailleur Installation Procedure
What steps should be taken before adjusting the front derailleur? Usually, the adjustment is preceded by disassembly of the PPS and its removal for maintenance. It is very important to set the front derailleur clearly to the setup procedure.
Many cyclists ask the question of how to install the PPP on a bicycle by independent actions. Let’s analyze such an algorithm point by point.
- The ideal position is when the guide frame in the area of the longitudinal axis is parallel to the front sprocket. It is better to dismantle the chain during installation.
- Achieving the minimum distance between the frame and the large star by aligning and bending the parallelogram.
- Determine the height according to which the clamp will fix the switch. Tighten the clamp fixing bolt slightly.
- The position of the frame axis is adjusted by turning the switch. In this case, the frame should become parallel to the front star system.
- We check the distance from the frame to the Largest sprocket and the parallelism parameters. Tighten the clamp clamp.
- The installation is complete. We put on the chain and go to setting
Why do not front gears switch when changing from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to 3rd
The reason the chain does NOT bounce onto the large front sprockets without additional tension is because the cable is stretched. In this situation, there is no need to configure from scratch. It is enough to twist the lamb Shifter and everything will fall into place.
Note. Additional pull is the current mode of pulling the cable using the trigger on the shifter. For example, if you switch the chain from the first chainring to the second, you click the knob to the number “2”. The chain rubs into the frame, but does not go over to the adjacent toothed gear. Then you pull up the cable, slightly pushing the handle towards the inclusion of the third gear, but not including it, and the chain freely goes to the number 2 star.
Unscrew the thumbs 1 turn and try to shift in place by lifting the rear wheel and pedaling. If the chain still does not move freely to large sprockets, then spin the drum half a turn and try using the re-linking in place again. Repeat ½ turn. check series until shifts in both directions are NOT accurate.
Note. The lamb’s stroke is limited to the 5th. 6th turns. If this margin is not enough, then tighten the cable on the switch itself by unscrewing the cable securing bolt. Before clamping, turn the drum on the shifter until it stops, and then release it 1 turn. Repeat the thumbscrew adjustment procedure again.
Having achieved a clear transfer in place, drive and test the operation of the front block of speeds. Under load, the setting may not seem so ideal, so you have to twist the drum in one direction or another within ½ a turn and immediately check the new position while driving.
Preparation for setting the rear derailleur
It is required to clean the cassette from dirt, the rear derailleur itself, check the shirts with a cable, and it is also desirable to lubricate them if necessary.
Speed bike rear derailleur setting. Self-adjusting bike speeds
Nowadays, the market for bicycles is overwhelming with a variety of rear derailleurs for bicycles, both entry-level and pro. Lee, in spite of this, the setting of the rear derailleur has approximately the same principle of adjustment. Nearly all modern rear derailleurs have 5 adjustments.
- Cable fixing element, screw or nut
- Adjusting drum
- Limiting screw L (low). For adjusting small gears (large sprockets)
- Limiting screw H (high). For adjusting large gears (small sprockets)
- Chain tensioner adjusting screw
On different models of rear derailleurs, the L and H adjustment stop screws may be on the side or back. It should also be remembered that you can also adjust the rear derailleur using an adjusting drum, which is located on almost all shifters. This is very convenient as the cables tend to stretch.
Steps for adjusting the rear derailleur on a speed bike.
- Must switch to smallest sprockets in front and back.
- The tensioner drums (on the switch and on the shifter, if any) need to be tightened to the initial value, turned clockwise until they stop. This will give us the opportunity in the future, when weakening the rear derailleur cable, to tighten the cable using this drum.
- We unscrew the screw or nut, weaken the cable itself. In this case, you can pull out the cable and check for defects or contamination of the cable jacket.
- Adjusting large gears with a screw “H”. It is necessary to turn the adjusting screw “H” as long as the derailleur rollers and small sprocket are NOT on the same straight axis. If when switching to large gears there is a shift of the rollers to the right of the stars, then it is necessary to turn the screw “H” clockwise, pull up until they are NOT even on a straight axis. If the rollers are shifted to the left, the chain will have difficulty shifting to lower gears, you must loosen the screw “H”.Twist counterclockwise. With the correct adjustment of large gears when the wheel rotates by pedaling, the chain should work quietly without hooks on a small star.
Further, it transcends the adjustment of the chain tensioner, if any. To do this, place the chain on the smallest front sprocket and the rear on the largest. Then steep the pedals back, if the upper roller of the rear derailleur touches the teeth of the sprocket, then it is necessary to turn the adjusting screw to achieve such a value so that the roller is at a distance of about 5 mm from the teeth of the sprocket. After we need to check the chain tension, only now we need to switch to the small rear sprocket.
By configuring the shimano switch
If in the future, for example, if the chain returns poorly to the extreme sprockets, or from the extreme to the neighboring ones, then you can adjust the rear derailleur on the go, spin the drum counterclockwise, unless of course it is present on the shifter of your bike.
Perhaps the lever is bent by a fall or other circumstances, you can try to repair the rear derailleur by aligning the lever.
NOT clear switching can also be due to NOT good cassette, various deformations, distortions. Also, the reason for an unclear shift may be hidden in a dirty cable or a malfunction of the shift lever. After the correct setting of the rear derailleur, you can proceed to the speed bike front derailleur setting.
Correct cycling gearshift setting
Modern bicycles equipped with a gear system allow you to move quickly and with minimal energy losses in any conditions: long climbs, rough terrain, roads with sharp turns, which require constant changes in speed and gear ratio. This includes driving against the wind, off-roading, poor quality asphalt. In general, the value of the transmission unit is simply colossal, especially on mountain bikes.
Despite the invaluable help, a large transmission requires frequent attention, care, sometimes long and tedious ones arise on. One of the components that needs to be spent periodically is the shifting mechanism, which consists of front and rear derailleurs. At first glance, the arrangement of THESE parts seems complicated. In practice, setting up gear shifting is very simple.
Why bike speeds don’t shift well
Usually, the thought of needing to fix derailleur problems comes when the chain is shifting too hard between the stars, or the gears are NOT shifting at all. The problem comes suddenly, as an option, you can contact the master.
However, this issue can be resolved in the service in a couple of minutes, and the money will have to be paid in time. Maybe you should tinker yourself?
Before proceeding with the instructions for setting up the bike speed system, let’s determine why it does not work correctly:
- Switches are damaged. A complete replacement is needed to solve the problem.
- Deformed cock. protection of the rear derailleur. Usually it is advised to change, but once you can straighten.
- Spring worn or stretched cable. Replacement required, switch setting.
Very often, all components of the transmission are in good condition, and the gears are still poorly shifted. New parts, or small workpieces installed in a transmission unit are a common cause of poor chain sprocket running.
Setting switches at home
Now let’s figure out how to set up a high-speed system. Derailleurs on bicycles with multi-gear transmission are divided into front and rear. The latter are most vulnerable when riding in a variety of road conditions, the risk of damage is higher compared to the front ones, but the settings must be made at the very beginning. Obviously, the rear derailleur serves more stars, so it takes longer to set up.
Rear derailleur setting:
First you need screws L and H. they are clearly visible, no need to look. Also includes a cable adjuster, tension and fixing screws.
- H is used to align the roller with the small rear sprocket. By tightening the screw L, we set the roller on one straight line with the large rear sprocket.
- Set the highest speed on the shifter.
- Tension and fix the cable with the locking bolt.
- Large gears Must be engaged without interference, otherwise, using the adjuster, the cable is slightly weakened. Additional tension will be needed if gears are poorly reset.
Actually, the adjustment itself is made, it remains to adjust the switching accuracy. This is especially true for systems with a large number of stars. For this, the chain is mounted on a large chainring at the back and a small chainring at the front. By tightening the tension screw, we achieve the optimal position of the roller. as close as possible to the cassette. The same must be done and vice versa: set the chain to the maximum chainring in front and minimum. at the back. The roller should not rub against the cassette, just be located next to it.
How to properly set up the switch in front:
- Check device attachment.
- Release cable tension at minimum speed.
- Use screw L to create a gap between the derailleur body and the chain (1 mm).
- Secure the cable with the adjusting bolt.
The same should be done with the H-screw. The maximum speed must be set, and the gap with the chain must not exceed one millimeter.
The speed setting on both bicycle derailleurs is carried out until the chain is freely thrown from one sprocket to another. If it is difficult to go, it is necessary to adjust the correct position of the cable using the adjusting bolt.
After all the manipulations, the entire system is checked. To do this, you need to ride a big one and try all the recommended gear ratios. Note that on mountain bikes, the transmission adjustment is a common periodic procedure, and if suddenly the transmission goes tight, do not rush to draw conclusions about breakdowns, but do what is described above.
Do not think that a high-quality transmission does NOT need to adjust the shifting system. Yes, it may be necessary to do this less often for shimano components, but sooner or later you will still have to face.
We just saw an easy way to adjust the front and rear derailleurs. Is it really necessary? Adjustment of the shift mechanism is necessary for the transmission, like tires for a wheel. Timely assistance “traffic node “will allow not only to solve current problems, but also to prevent them in the future. Eliminating all inconveniences in time and ride with pleasure!
Rear derailleur setting
The correct setting will help you to effectively and efficiently switch gears on your bike. The setting of the rear derailleur will be of high quality if all the defects that have occurred are eliminated, and all the details. New or in good condition.
For those who are engaged in such a business for the first time, you need to know that this element of the bicycle structure in its design has two screws, which are indicated by the letter system: H and L. You need to start by choosing a higher speed, while the chain is located at the smallest of all the stars that are in the cassette. Now we turn the screw H to the position so that the gearshift roller goes down to the position from the small star. We move on to the low speed group and stop at when the chain position is on the largest of the cassette stars. Rotate the screw again, but now with the L value so that the roller aligns with the position of the large star. On the shifter, the rear derailleur is at maximum speed. This will allow the cable to be properly tensioned so that it fits into the groove next to the fixing bolt, and just tighten it. You can check the correctness of such manipulations if you switch speeds on a bike of a high category. If they turn on with difficulty, slightly Loosen the cable tension. If the reset is not going well. a decrease in speed, then the cable must, on the contrary, be pulled.
The last stage of the adjustment is the smoothness of the gear change. To do this, you need to fix the chain at the front on the small sprocket, and at the back on the large sprocket and scroll the pedals back. In order to adjust the gearshift on the bike correctly, it is worth installing the upper roller as close to the star as possible, but not touching it. This moment can be achieved by rotating the tension screw. This customization item is available on more expensive bike variants. On cheap models, it is most often absent.
Adjusting the bike speed switch
The process of changing speeds occurs due to the fact that the cable is weakened, and then it goes into a state of tension. A high-quality setting may be necessary if the mechanism for changing the speeds on the bike does not work well or is not clear enough. Also, another variant of the situation may be the replacement of old parts with new ones.
Reasons for poor performance
So, adjusting bike speeds starts with the rear derailleur if you need to adjust both. Otherwise, we set up exactly the one that needs it. But first, it’s worth understanding what exactly are the reasons that the gearshift system works poorly:
- The cable is stretched;
- The return spring does not work well;
- Rooster. a metal part that protects the frame and the switch from deformation upon impact. is damaged;
- There have been changes in the switch itself.
It doesn’t take much effort to solve the first possible problem. All you have to do. Just increase the tension level of the adjusting drum rope. In the case when the cable is very stretched, then it is changed to a new one. If the problem lies in the spring, it should be cleaned with high quality under a strong stream of water, and then well lubricated with special grease. If the rooster is deformed, then you can notice it on the crooked gearshift frame. If the level of deformation is small, then you can do it yourself. To do this, grasp the rear derailleur and frame and bend the part to the proper level. But this technique is NOT long lasting; in the future, the cock will require replacement. It also often deforms during impact. Deformation in the front derailleur is rare. If the frame is bent, it can be leveled, but if it burst and cracked, then only replacement will help. Deformation of the chain tension adjustment screw may also occur at the rear. This problem is not global, but still Subsequently, it will lead to the need to replace the switch.
Let’s move on to the next step in adjusting the bike speeds. Here, the whole process is much easier and faster. Make sure the front derailleur is properly installed and secured to the frame before starting work. Determining this is elementary: from the largest star on which the chain is fixed, there should be about 3 mm to the frame, and the frame itself should be parallel to the arrangement of the stars. Now let’s proceed to the direct setting of the front derailleur. We set the minimum speed. Remember that the chain is located at the front on the smallest of the stars, and at the back on the largest. Weaken the cable and turn the screw L until a distance of 1 mm is formed between the chain and the frame. Then fasten the cable, as in the case of the rear derailleur, and tighten it well, but everything could not be zealous. The whole process must be well experienced. Now we turn to completely opposite actions at the minimum speed and rotate the screw H to form the same minimum gap. If at the same time it is difficult to put the chain on large stars, then the screw will loosen a little.
You can only find out the quality of the work performed in a practical way. While riding, we begin to switch speeds on the bike. If the chain does not respond well to a decrease in speed, then a tension regulator is installed on the steering wheel switch. Rotating it to achieve the desired result. If the problem is with high speeds, then the cable must be pulled using the same manipulations.
Only practice will tell you thoroughly how to adjust the speeds on your bike, so don’t be afraid to act on your own and you will succeed. The ability to switch speeds on a bike conveniently and correctly is a guarantee of a comfortable ride.