best speed bikes
Speed bikes are becoming more and more popular and are replacing the car for many people in the summer. They are suitable for outdoor enthusiasts and just those who want to quickly move around the city. It differs from conventional high-speed models by the number of gears and the ability to adjust the load. A quality bike saves energy, increases speed and makes the ride more enjoyable.
Best inexpensive speed bike
The inexpensive STELS Navigator 350 Gent 28 Z010 bike, despite its price, is made of quality materials and equipped with a 7-speed transmission with 1 star. Bottom brackets, shifters and rear derailleur are made by Shimano. The fork is stiff and there is no shock absorption, but the STELS Navigator is also designed for city roads, not rough terrain.
Due to its simple design, the bike is easy to assemble and repair. An additional plus is the presence in the complete set of a trunk, a footboard and a basket.
- Type: mountain.
- Crank length: 17cm.
- Age: adults.
- Frame size: 16, 18 “.
- Brake type: rim walking V-brake.
- Wheel diameter: 26 “.
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano.
How to choose a speed bike
A multi-stage transmission distinguishes a high-speed bike from a classic bicycle. With it, you can adjust the load. When driving uphill, you can put the first or second gear, which will allow you to overcome the hill without additional power costs. On high-speed bicycles it is more convenient to make long trips, travel off-road and rough terrain. When choosing, attention should be paid to the number of speeds, the size of the frame and brakes.
- Type: mountain.
- Age: 9-15 years old.
- Height: from 125 to 156 cm.
- Frame size: 14 “.
- Wheel diameter: 24cm.
- Suspension: rigid.
- Weight: 13KG.
- Number of gears: 7.
Best Mountain Speed Bike
Mountain bikes are the most comfortable models at the moment, so there are many offers on the market for a wide variety of wallets. The Stinger Highlander 100V has the best value for money. Made in green and blue colors, it is designed for active driving on rough terrain. However, it can also be used on city roads.
Unlike other models, the Stinger Highlander features two-suspension shock absorption with 50mm fork travel. The frame is made of a special alloy of extra strong steel, which ensures good rolling. Shimano multi-speed system supports 18 speeds, making it easy to drive even on high slopes.
How to adjust your bike’s gear shifting?
The gear shifting system is not only one of the most important but also the most vulnerable parts of a bicycle. With regular riding, its adjustment should be carried out at least once every 400-500 km (about 2-4 months of driving). In this article, we will talk about how to set up the derailleur on your bike yourself.
When to tune the gearshift system?
As a rule, the speed adjustment is carried out in the following cases.
- You bought a new system element and installed it on your bike.
- You have a new bike that was not configured from the box.
- Any element of the gearshift system is out of order.
- The bike has a lot of mileage, and the system does not work out the way it should.
The setup process must be started with preparation.
How to adjust the front derailleur?
The setup procedure is based on the following diagram.
- Set the bike speeds so that the chain is on the largest sprocket at the front and the smallest sprocket at the back.
- We release the cable coming from the shift knob by unscrewing the corresponding bolt.
- Adjust the screw L so that the chain, when the wheels rotate, moves as close as possible to the inner frame of the switch, but does not touch it.
- We tighten the screw H in the same way, but now we look so that the chain is as close to the outer frame as possible, but also does not touch it when rotating.
- We pull the transfer cable back.
- After that, we proceed to setting up the chain transfer. This will require adjustment of a special drum on the shifter. In a practical way, throwing the chain from star to star, we are looking for a position in which this procedure will work out as quickly and smoothly as possible.
On average, such a procedure will take an inexperienced master from 30 to 60 minutes of time. But that’s not all. for normal operation of the shifting system, the reverse speeds must also be adjusted.
Before adjusting, it is better to completely clean the system of adhering dirt, remnants of old lubricants and other contaminants. In addition, it is better to pre-inspect all elements for any damage and, if any, prepare spare parts for replacement.
In addition, we recommend that you prepare all the necessary tools in advance:
- Hex key set.
You can now start adjusting the bike speeds.
How to adjust the rear derailleur on a bike?
The rear derailleur is set as follows:
- We set the speed on the bike in such a way that the chain is on the smallest star.
- Loosen the shift cable by unscrewing the clamp screw located on the rear derailleur.
- Using the front derailleur, install the chain on the middle sprocket of the front carriage.
- We start to pedal. If the chain starts to fall off during movement, the screw of the upper gear limiter should be tightened, which is indicated by the letter H. Ultimately, the smallest star on the front carriage and the crossover should become one line.
- Tighten the cable and fix it with the bolt.
- We check the operation of the switch, changing the speed from the lowest to the highest. If somewhere the switching is carried out incorrectly, you need to adjust the tension of the cable by turning a special drum on the shifter.
Be sure to remember that any actions with the cables are best done slowly and very carefully. When tightening or unscrewing the bolts, do not make more than one turn at a time.
In fact, at the time of gear shifting, the chain from some stars is transferred to others. Adjustment of gear shifting on a bicycle is done with the help of handles on the handlebars, called shifters. Usually the left stick is responsible for controlling the 3 front gears, and the right one is responsible for the stars in the rear cassette.
Correct use of each switch:
- Star. used during high climbs, when traveling on sticky soil and loose sand, in gusty winds or in conditions of dense grass. The presence of resistance to traffic: large stars from 1 to 3 are used on the rear cassette. This combination will give the maximum degree of power.
- The star is needed when driving on asphalt, unpaved roadway, dense sand and on small slides. Rear stars with a number from 2 to 6.
- Star. used on smooth roads and asphalt, when there is no gusty wind, during descent and to maintain speed at low physical loads. The combination of chainring and chainring will give excellent speed.
In addition, for the correct speed change on a bicycle, there are several nuances to be learned.
Mechanism: pros and cons
Positive aspects of external switches:
How to setup and adjust a Shimano Nexus Inter 7 hub gear bicycle DIY
- Simple construction.
- Little weight.
- Democratic cost.
- Large number of gears.
Negative sides of external switches:
- Bad influence of negative factors from the outside.
- Maintenance needs to be adjusted regularly.
- There is a risk of breakage if dropped.
If you analyze the gear shifting on a bicycle, 24 speeds and 18 speeds are no different, just in the first case you can go faster.
Tips from Cycling Experts and Experts:
- Cannot adjust speeds when the bike is stationary.
- The gear change should take place without noise. When a sharp grinding is heard, the wrong gear ratio is selected or the chain “slid”.
- The position of the handle should be changed in advance, before starting the maneuver, whether it is a descent or an ascent.
- It is not necessary to adjust the front and rear indicators. the chain sometimes wedges.
With these principles of gear shifting on a bike, by constantly monitoring chain position and leaving derailleurs in a spotlessly clean state, the vehicle will stay on track for a long time.
Bicycle gearshift mechanism and its criteria
Learning how to properly switch speeds on a bicycle is very simple. just understand the algorithm. The gears are designed for the convenience of the cyclist, with their help you can save energy by choosing a comfortable riding mode with respect to:
- Road surface relief.
- Quality of the road.
- Set travel speed.
- Driver’s physical condition.
Proper operation allows you to get from point A to point B faster and more economically than when traveling by transport without speeds. By choosing the right gears, the life of the bike is extended. This also works in the other direction. if the gears are used incorrectly, the period will decrease.
If the gearshift mechanism on the bike is not working properly, the knees are under severe stress.
With experience, the cyclist will intuitively feel how to switch speeds on a 21.7-speed bike. To understand how to set up gear shifting on a bicycle (21 speeds), you should look at the diagram.
You need to adjust the handles carefully at first, and after understanding how shifting works on a bicycle, a quick correction is achieved with practice.
Operation: how to adjust the reverse speeds on any type of bike
Before starting the process of adjusting the rear derailleur, you should familiarize yourself with its configuration. The standard module has five adjustment elements:
- nut securing the cable;
- cable tension drum;
- limit screw for the lowest gear (Low);
- limit screw for the highest gear (High);
- chain tension screw.
The method “how to adjust the reverse speeds on a bicycle” consists of three stages.
It is performed, as a rule, once. when installing a new derailleur and in order to prevent the chain from jumping off at the outer stars of the cassette. The sequence of actions is as follows:
- the largest star is installed in front, the smallest one at the back;
- the cable is released;
- adjustment is performed by turning the screw H clockwise or counterclockwise (the dereiler frame moves to the spokes or to the frame feather, respectively) until the rollers with the smallest cassette star lie in the same plane;
- after that, the cable is pulled and fastened, the switch is transferred to the largest star in the back and the smallest in the front;
- by turning the screw L, they achieve a similar position of the rollers in relation to the sprocket.
Preparation for commissioning
Before adjusting the bike speeds, you need to clean and lubricate the chain and derailleurs. It is also advisable to produce:
- inspection of the drive cable for the presence of rough bends that violate the smoothness of its movement along the inner surface of the shirt, unweaving and solidity of the connection with an emphasis based in the shifter;
- control of the condition of the jackets. in case of strong wear of the inner, often silicone insert, or the presence of fatigue fractures, their replacement is required;
- inspection of the rear derailleur and the counterpart of the frame (cock) for deviations from the vertical position. the rollers and the counter sprocket of the cassette must lie strictly in the same plane.
Also, before adjusting the speeds on the bike, it is necessary to loosen the cable tension and it is strongly recommended to turn the adjusting drums all the way. In the already tuned state, the following dependence is observed: the less the drum is unscrewed, the more accurately the system works, and also a guaranteed departure margin is maintained, which is necessary for instant compensation of the cable lengthening during the trip.
Operation of the transmission: how to correctly switch speeds on a bicycle in various conditions
Maintaining cruising cadence when driving on flat, flat areas or pedaling confidently and effortlessly on rough terrain. the transmission unit of a modern bicycle is able to maintain the gear ratio most suitable for an athlete.
Experts give the following recommendations on how to properly switch speeds on a bicycle:
- change gear only while driving;
- switch to the required sprocket only under conditions when the minimum load acts on the chain (it is advisable to reproduce this process at a high cadence);
- do not change gear when overcoming ups / downs (suitable stars must be selected in advance);
- in muddy, sandy and slippery areas, move in higher gears (deliberately increase torque to avoid loss of traction).
For your information. When driving on asphalt areas, due to the physiology of the knee joints, the cadence should be kept at 80-110 rpm. In some cases, it is allowed to reduce the cadence to 60 rpm.
With the correct implementation of the sequence of actions in the process of how to adjust the gear shifting on a bicycle, the following requirement should be attributed to the main limitations of the gear selection process. to exclude the skew of the chain, which significantly reduces its service life. You can avoid the latter, using the example of a 24-speed system, as follows:
- a small sprocket (1) is installed at the front, at the rear: 1. 4;
- front. middle (2), back: 4. 6 (7);
- front. large (3), back: 6. 8.
Adjusting the transfer quality
The answer to the question of how to adjust the smoothness of gear shifting on a bicycle is quite simple. By rotating the adjusting drum, a dead zone is found, in which the movement of the dereiler, both from upper to lower gears, and vice versa, will occur instantly and without delays. By twisting the drum, the switch will move more efficiently from small to large stars. When spinning the drum, the exact opposite dynamics is observed.
For your information. After adjusting the transmission, you should check the quality of functioning of the components under load. Most likely, you will need to adjust the cable tension using an adjusting drum!
They are the whole point. The number of bike speeds directly depends on their number. Most bicycles currently produced (road and cross-countrey) have sprockets on both the rear wheel and cassette (where the pedals are). In order to find out how many speeds a particular bike has, you need to multiply the number of chainrings and chainrings. For example, if there are 7 stars in the back, and in the front. 3, the bike is 21-speed.
The number of speeds can vary from 10 (5 stars at the rear and 2 at the front) to 30 (10 stars at the rear and 3 at the front). Bicycle manufacturers often prefer to produce bicycles with 21 speeds. These are light-alloy bicycles, with a front shock-absorbing fork, designed for riding not only in urban areas, but also off-road. Road bikes with narrow wheels with a diameter of 27 to 31 cm are distinguished by a large number of speeds. Smaller. Children’s bicycles.
A little about the correct gear shifting
In order to avoid premature wear of the cassette, chain and gearshift system as a whole, it is necessary to adhere to a number of simple rules. First, you should not change gears while climbing. The tension of the chain is not weak anyway, and the chain has an instant load while jumping from one star to another. Select the slowest speed for ascent (in other words, select the largest sprocket at the rear and the smallest sprocket at the front. The speeds are switched for both the rear wheel and cassette. Simply put, the first speed is selected for ascent on both derailleurs.
Secondly, it is worth changing the speed only while riding the bike, when the pedals are spinning. Otherwise, during the start of the bike, a person may hear a not very pleasant sound from the chain. This will affect its wear.
Third rule. the difference between the speeds (chain sprockets) should not be more than 4. That is, you should not select the lowest speed on the front / rear sprocket and the highest on the other. This can cause the chain to stretch faster than the chain manufacturer specified. A stretched chain will lead to breakdown of the gearshift system as a whole. It. not very pleasant and not the cheapest repair.
And the last thing. the chain must be lubricated regularly. A signal that it is time to do this may be extraneous metallic noise from the chain or a kind of rustle while driving. If the bike is used carefully and not on the road, you will need to wipe the chain with a dry cloth from dirt, and then lubricate with a special bicycle chain lubricant. If the bike. frequent visitor of village roads or sandy beaches, before lubrication, you will need to rinse the chain with kerosene or a special mixture for cleaning the chain.
How to remake Singlespeed
Let’s try to turn a regular bike into a high-speed one with a single shifting system. For this you will need:
- non-brake bushing;
- v-brakes or pliers, front and rear;
- rear cassette 6 stars;
- two chains for a high-speed bike;
- switch cable;
- squeezing the chain;
- cassette remover;
At the very first stage, you should choose the type of brakes, which we will then install on the bike. We look at the feathers and the fork. if they do not have seats for the brakes (they are not provided on classic frames), then we purchase pliers. If there are sockets, we take v-brake. Another, more complicated, option is to place a similar fork under the vectors, and put a tick back. In this case, you will have to remove and change the plug.
How to convert a single speed bike into a multi speed bike. step by step instructions:
Remove the rear wheel with a wrench and disassemble it.
Open and remove the chain. you will no longer need it.
Make one of the two chains, with 128 links for a 6-speed cassette. To unclamp additional links to the standard chain and connect them, you will need a squeeze.
Next, you need to put a non-brake hub in the rear wheel. The work is divided into 3 stages: dismantling a conventional bushing, re-spacing the wheel and installing a new bushing. It is quite difficult to do the repositioning, therefore it is better to entrust this work to the master. A simple option is to purchase a ready-made wheel with a 6-star cassette.
If you install the sprockets yourself, you will need a cassette remover.
It will not work to put the rear wheel on the stays of a standard frame. the speed hubs are wider. To do this, you need to unclench the feathers by 2-3 cm.This is easiest to do on the machine.
The next step is to install the derailer. the rear derailleur. Choose a device with an axle mount, because no special attachment for classic frames.
Apply front brake. standard procedure.
The front sprocket on single speed bikes has thicker teeth so the speed chain will not fit. We remove the star paired with a connecting rod, grind the teeth on a milling machine.
Assemble the bike: place the wheel on the feather dropouts, the chainring on the bottom bracket and clamp the chain.
When the rear wheel is in place, apply the rear caliper brake.
Installing the rear shifter for the derailleur on the right side of the steering wheel.
Connect the shifter and the switch, fasten the cable to the upper tube of the frame with clamps.
By changing the configuration of the transmission and installing a new braking system, a simple bike can be turned into a high-speed.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Speed Bike
For trips around the city on flat roads and simple rides in parks and embankments, the presence of a high-speed bike is not essential. A simple one-gear touring bike is fine here: it is both cheaper and does not require frequent maintenance.
Another thing is long trips on highways, dirt roads and, even more so, off-road. Here you will need a more stable bike that will pass under any conditions, save energy, and make the trip more comfortable. It is difficult to imagine a long tourist route on single speed, to put it mildly, although, in principle, nothing is impossible.
Compared to a single-speed model, a bicycle with a multistage transmission has several advantages:
- climbing hills in low gears;
- less power costs in a headwind;
- acceleration on flat areas;
- maximum accuracy of adjusting the bike to specific riding conditions (especially on models with a large number of gears);
- constant cadence, less fatigue;
- the braking system of high-speed bikes is more powerful than singlespeeds.
Let’s see from the other side, where single-speed models outperform their rivals:
- the bike is cheaper;
- undemanding to maintenance of the transmission: the chain and sprockets are designed for almost the entire life of the bike;
- in case of replacement of the chain, it is easily rubbed against the old stars;
- singlespeed gives a good workout for all leg muscle groups on the rise;
- allows you to develop the skill of high-frequency pedaling.
The controversial advantage of the single-speed model is the reduction in weight due to the absence of switches and cassettes. Only valid when comparing identical models with and without cassette. To put in one row, for example, a light road bike with speeds and a steel road bike in this sense is wrong.
What are high-speed bicycles
By the type of transmission, bicycles with speeds can be divided into three types:
- with double shifting system: mountain bikes, road bikes and hybrid bikes;
- with a single gear system. high-speed road models;
- planetary velocity models.
The dual gearshift system has two star systems. at the front of the bottom bracket and at the rear hub. For the chain transfer along the front and rear sprockets, the corresponding switches are responsible. front and rear. Standard systems:
Shimano Nexus 7-Speed Inner Gear Hub Adjustment
- 3 x 7;
- 3 x 8;
- 3 x 9.
There are several rear sprockets for one chainring: a large chainring in front is combined with small rear ones, and vice versa. Average values such as 2 x 5 are commensurate with the gear ratio of a single speed. The switches are controlled by shifters located on the steering wheel: on the left. front, on the right. rear switch.
A single gearshift system includes only the rear cassette, one derailleur and, accordingly, one shifter. In front, the chain only runs along one leading star, like on a single speed.
City bikes with speeds make it possible to move more comfortably on roads with inclines, have a more developed braking system. front and rear v-brake against the drum rear brake of a conventional bike.
It is worth noting that in the city high-speed roadways run better than mountain ones: there are high gears, large wheels, the geometry is sharpened for movement on flat roads.
The planetary gearshift system is located in the rear wheel hub. The planetary hub transmission combines the characteristics of single shift and single speed systems:
- rear derailleur shifter;
- one front and one rear sprocket;
- the chain is short, runs straight.
Gear shifting is carried out while coasting, in contrast to the classic system, where the chain is thrown over the stars when pedaling.
- the mechanism is completely protected from dirt, water, dust;
- does not require maintenance and repair;
- more convenient to change gears.
Disadvantages of planetary hubs: significant weight gain, high friction and low endurance of mechanisms, high price of the bike. Taking this into account, it is advisable to use the planetary only in urban driving conditions and on suburban highways.
The high-speed bike has a multi-stage transmission, which fundamentally distinguishes it from the classic bicycle with one gear. A big problem for singspeed (single-speed) is steep and long climbs, especially without a perpendicular slope of the road. The low gears of the high-speed bike reduce the speed, but make it possible to overcome the hills without additional power costs. High gears allow you to accelerate the bike on level ground, and it will outperform singlespeed in speed.
Tips for choosing a bike with speeds
Today, high-speed bicycles prevail on sale, so there is plenty to choose from. All classes fall into this family:
- road bikes;
- road bikes.
To choose the right speed model for yourself, you need to decide where and on what routes you plan to travel. For example, for city riding, you do not need to take a professional mountain or road bike with a lot of gears, a classic road model or a bicycle on a planetary hub will suffice. However, the latter are distinguished by an overpriced.
In addition to the purpose of travel, cost plays an important role, and both of these factors are closely related to each other. For trips in aggressive driving and tourism conditions, you should not save on the model. you will have to spend more on maintenance and rework. If the goals are modest, for example, to roll out 50 km a couple of times a week, then you can choose an inexpensive model. it will be economically justified. And of course, we pay attention to brands and fakes for them.
The bike should be comfortable to travel. Multi-speed models make it possible to evenly distribute efforts, make movement more comfortable. But do not forget about such an important parameter as the size of the frame. It must fully correspond to the height of the cyclist. There are size tables for verification, and of course, we draw attention to our own feelings on the “fitting” of the bike.
Frames are divided into male and female. The latter are designed for the convenience of cyclists to get off and on the bike. In principle, both male and female frames will be comfortable for men, but women on male frames would be uncomfortable.
Taking into account these simple recommendations, you will be able to choose a bike that suits you and enjoy riding for more than one season.
Let’s consider the indicators of the most common types of bicycles. mountain, road and city, as well as their intermediate “brothers”. hybrid and touring bike.
Other types are not intended for fast driving, so they are not included in the comparison. For interest, let’s add the indicators of an electric bike. Also read the review of TOP bicycle manufacturers and make no mistake with your choice.
Test conditions: distance 15 km; asphalt road of good quality, without sharp drops; air temperature 22 degrees Celsius, weak crosswind 3-5 m / s. Subjects: men and women between the ages of 25 and 35, cycling daily for 1 to 2 hours.
- electric bike. 25-30 km / h;
- highway. 21-25 km / h;
- tourist. 20-23 km / h;
- hybrid. 19-21 km / h;
- mountain. 18-20 km / h;
- city - 15-17 km / h.
7 Speed Gear Adjustment
An e-bike could have done better, but its ride speed is limited by the controller. For touring bikes equipped with cycling backpacks, the optimum speed is 17 km / h.
Most of all, the driving speed depends on the physical strength and endurance of a person. Driving technique ranks second. Rider gender does not significantly affect travel speed.
Urban riding conditions negate the speed characteristics of different types of bicycles due to the need for frequent maneuvering and overcoming obstacles. Bicycle speed in the city. 15-18 km / h.
It is also interesting that in the conditions of megalopolises, at distances of up to 5 km, a bicycle is “faster” than other types of transport. At distances of 5-10 km, its average speed is comparable to that of a car. Plus, the cyclist has the opportunity to move not only along the carriageway, but to make his own route through the park or courtyard areas.
A bit of history
According to the standards of the TRP in the USSR, in order to receive a gold badge, it was necessary to ride a bicycle:
|Age (years) / gender||Distance (km)||Time (minutes)||Average speed (km / h)|
HOW MUCH DOES A SPEED, ROAD BIKE COST?
How much does a speed bike cost? Let’s consider what parameters and characteristics the cost of high-speed bicycles depends on.
- Frame, namely the material from which it is made. If the frame is made of carbon fiber, then it will cost more, and if it is made of steel or aluminum, it will be cheaper. We recommend buying a bike with a high-quality frame initially, since the rest of the components can be updated over time.
- Selection of components for a bicycle can be a significant price factor (if you need high-quality ones, then, of course, they are more expensive than basic ones).
Before buying a road speed bike, you should consider the following questions:
- how much money are you willing to spend on your bike;
- how often you will use your equipment;
- how high is your cyclist level.
With all this in mind, it’s worth going for a purchase. Choose a bike from well-known trusted companies, buy a high-quality model that will not fail after the first difficult race (this will significantly save you money).
With all of the above, it must be said that the average speed bike for the layman will cost between 500 and 1,500, and between 100 and 250 you can spend on a set of pedals and the same amount on cycling shoes.
The Trek 1.2 road bike features a lightweight Alpha 100 Series frame, Shimano Sora rear derailleur, and Bontrager Race aluminum seatpost. There is a mount for the fenders. This bike is suitable for those who make long journeys on the highway.
MERIDA RACE 880-16
The Merida Race 880-16 road bike is an excellent model that beginner cyclists buy for cycling. The bike has sixteen gears on the derailleurs, shock absorbers, contributing to high speed and easier riding. Country bike manufacturer. Taiwan.
HIGH SPEED BIKE. FOR HIGH SPEED AMATEURS
A speed bike is one of the great ways to stay fit along with the feel of speed riding. If you don’t want to just ride the city streets, then the road speed bike is the one for you. In this article, we’ll talk about what features high-speed road bikes have, at what price you can buy it, what speed you can develop on it, and more. dr.
SPEED BIKES: PHOTOS AND DESCRIPTIONS
There are many models of speed road bikes, ranging from regular road bikes to specialized bicycles for riding on highways. We bring to your attention an overview of some models. So, high-speed bicycles: photos and their description.
Cube peloton is a transport for those who are just getting acquainted with the road type of bicycles. The ride quality of this bike is good, the thin seat tubes guarantee a comfortable ride.
This bike has a relaxed and comfortable fit that allows you to ride safely and at ease, and also maintains excellent handling. Racing fork. carbon fiber (has a tapered aluminum stem), quite stiff and lightweight, and good steering precision.
This bike features Cube Ra 0.7 wheels for fast ride and Shimano Sora 3 × 9 drivetrain for reliable shifting.