Wear of transmission elements
The wear level of the chain can be checked:
To check cassette wear, visually compare the tooth width of the most commonly used sprocket with the least commonly used (usually the largest). If the width is very different, it’s time to replace the part. To make the cassette last as long as possible, try to change gears more often for even wear of the sprockets.
The wear of the rollers is manifested by the partial or complete erasure of its teeth. If the rear derailleur bearing fails, there is a significant backlash. Worn parts need to be replaced. Plain bush rollers are considered to be more durable and practical than ball bearing rollers.
To check the wear of the ratchet mechanism, drive each gear in sequence. If the problem is a nut, the chain will skip at all speeds. It is necessary to replace the ratchet element or completely the cassette (depending on the structure of the mechanism).
Setting the low gear limiter
We adjust the adjusting screw for low gears, marked L. In the front, we install the chain on a small star, in the back. on a large one. We tighten the screw L so that when the wheel rotates, the chain slightly clings to the far lower frame of the switch. As soon as you feel the chain rubbing against the frame, loosen the screw a quarter turn.
Hall or loosening the rope
Minor cable deformation inside the jacket can significantly impair gear shifting.
7 Speed Gear Adjustment
How to check: take off the shirts and inspect the condition of the cables. Make sure that the cables have no loose threads and traces of fluffing, in shirts they run smoothly and with minimal effort.
How to fix it at home: completely replace worn cables.
How to adjust the rear derailleur
When speed adjustments are necessary
The bike speed system needs to be adjusted if not all gears are engaged or the shifting is incorrect. This can happen as a result of:
- replacement of one or more transmission elements (chain, cassette, roller, bearing, etc.)
- wear (stretching) of the cable or shirts
- deformation of parts due to impact or falling
Sometimes additional adjustments are required after buying a bike. It is recommended that you wash your shirts before adjusting the speeds on your new bike. To do this, pull the cable with moderate force wherever it is exposed. After mechanical impact on the cable, you will see that it began to sag. Release the cable on the rear derailleur, tighten the adjustment on the shifter and re-fasten it.
Before setting the speeds on a used bicycle, clean all the transmission elements from dirt and dust, lubricate the spring, cables and chain. The chain width must match the front derailleur for proper derailleur operation. Strong play of the switch and carriage bearings is unacceptable. Make sure the stars of the system are perfectly even and rotate in the same plane.
Tutorial: how to set your road bike speeds
How much time do you usually spend adjusting the speeds on your bike? Or do you think that such a difficult task can only be entrusted to a professional? The clear recommendations given in our instructions will help you quickly adjust the gears of your bike yourself.
Required set of tools
The speed setting tools may vary slightly depending on the bike model. The basic set looks like this:
- Tool for loosening the screw that fixes the cable to the switches (Allen screwdriver or sprocket screwdriver, 9 spanner, depending on the type of switch)
- Wrench (screwdriver) for adjusting the limiting screws
- Cable tension pliers
Beachbikes.com. How to tune a 7 speed bicycle (adjusting a derailleur)
Why bike speeds don’t shift well
Usually, the thought of needing to fix derailleur problems comes when the chain is shifting too hard between the sprockets, or the gears are not shifting at all. The problem comes suddenly, as an option, you can contact the master.
However, this issue can be resolved in the service in a couple of minutes, and the money will have to be paid in an hour. Maybe you should tinker yourself?
Before proceeding with the instructions for setting up the bike speed system, let’s determine why it does not work correctly:
- Switches are damaged. A complete replacement is needed to solve the problem.
- Deformed cock. protection of the rear derailleur. Usually it is advised to change, but once you can straighten.
- Spring worn or stretched cable. Replacement required, switch setting.
Very often, all the components of the transmission are in good condition, and the gears are still poorly shifted. New parts, or parts with little wear and tear, installed in a transmission unit are a common cause of poor chain sprocket running.
How to adjust the speed switch on a bike
Having become the happy owner of a bike, you should be prepared for the fact that over time you will have to carry out basic maintenance of the bike yourself. Of course, if we are talking about a serious malfunction, it is best to seek help from specialists, but many manipulations can be safely performed on your own.
How to adjust the speed switch on a bike
It often happens that either the speeds on the bike are not switched clearly, or some new transmission elements have been installed. In this case, you will need to adjust the speed switch and it is quite possible to do this work on your own, without contacting specialized workshops.
Correct installation of the front derailleur
You can start the front derailleur setting only after adjusting the rear derailleur. Installation is the initial step in adjusting the speed switch. It’s very important to do it right.
- before installing the switch, it is necessary to inspect the condition of the constituent parts and, if necessary, clean them from dirt and lubricate.
- The next step is to adjust the location of the front derailleur. On the frame, it should be located along the pipe under the saddle.
- Set the angle of rotation parallel to the drive sprocket on the front cassette of the transmission unit.
- Next, you need to adjust the gap between the underside of the derailleur frame and the top line of the teeth of the large gear. The gap should be minimal.
- Adjust the cable tension.
- Place the chain close to the inside of the frame.
It is also worth paying attention to setting up the chain. The bicycle chain is a very important element, with the help of which the impulse is transmitted from one chain to another and the adjustment process takes place. The technical condition of the circuit is of great importance for the operation of the entire system. If, for some reason, the bicycle chain stretches or deforms, this cannot but adversely affect the operation of the entire transmission unit. To prevent this from happening, the chain must be periodically removed and cleaned, and then set to the correct position. There are lock and lockless models of bicycle chains. They differ in the way they are connected. To remove the locking chain, it is enough to find the link with the lock and disconnect it with a screwdriver. The lockless bicycle chain is disconnected using a squeeze. This tool helps to push the link axle out and make the connector. If it skews for some reason, this can adversely affect the gearshift process.
One of the best manufacturers of bicycle parts, including derailleurs, is the Japanese company Shimano, which has a proven track record of producing products in which Japanese quality is combined with budget and price. Shimano derailleurs (fig. 3) are suitable for all types of bicycles. Shimano derailleurs are installed on both regular touring bicycles and mountain and track bikes with gearboxes up to 33 speeds.
Another recognized market leader is Sram. The products of this company are used on bicycles of the city bike category, as well as on sports bicycles. Sram products are of good quality and affordable price for cycling enthusiasts.
Every bicycle owner who prefers this type of transport to others is obliged to understand how to switch its speeds. It is believed that the more speeds a bike has, the better it is. But in fact, speed only allows you to improve the quality of maneuvering and squeeze the maximum out of the bike’s capabilities, so then everything depends on the dynamic efforts of the person riding the bike. Conventional bicycles have a simpler design compared to high-speed ones. With such a bike there is less hassle, but it also has fewer possibilities. In the transmission unit of such bicycles there are only two stars: one large and one small. Multi-speed bicycles, which have gained popularity in recent years, have two sets of sprockets in their transmission units: front and rear. Each cassette consists of stars of different sizes. To switch gears correctly, you need to remember a few basic rules:
- If your bike is not equipped with a planetary hub, you only need to switch gears on it while driving, otherwise there is a danger of damage to the bike.
- During gear shifting, it is not necessary to apply significant dynamic forces, in order to eliminate the danger of a burst of flowers, it is advisable to change gears sequentially, without making sharp jerks.
When to configure?
To understand the process of self-adjusting the speed switch, you need to know the definition of some specific terms, otherwise it will be difficult to understand the instructions.
- Speed switch (crossover). This is a transmission element that is specifically responsible for gear shifting. If there is a rear crossover, then it also acts as a support for the tension of the bicycle chain. The crossover (back and front) can be described as follows: it is a parallelogram mechanism equipped with a powerful return spring, on which the frame is fixed. The rear derailleur has two rollers inside the frame. if the level of cable tension increases, then the frame shifts the chain to large stars, and if this cable tension decreases, then the chain is shifted towards small stars with the help of the frame. The mechanism of the front derailleur works in the same way.
- Shifter. It is designed to switch speeds by changing the tension level of the cable. Most often, the shifter is located on the handlebars, but in some bicycles it can also be located on the lower tube of the frame triangle. Note:shifters and speed switches have a common connection on the steering wheel (this is provided by a cable) and are covered with a jacket.
- Cassette. This is the name of the rear transmission unit, which consists of stars of different sizes (of different diameters and with a different number of teeth) and is installed on the rear hub drum. If the bike is old, then a ratchet is used instead of a drum in the rear hub.
- Cock. It is a metal part that helps maintain the integrity of the frame and rear derailleur in the event that the vehicle has been hit. The rooster is always attached to the frame, and a cross-over is already attached to this metal part. When a blow occurs, it is this very cock that breaks, and the frame and the speed switch (crossover) remain intact.
- System. This is the name of the front transmission unit, which consists of stars of different diameters and with a different number of teeth. These stars are fastened to each other and the connecting rods with special hollow bolts on the connecting rods, but you need to know that there are no hollow bolts in cheap bicycles. the stars and connecting rods are riveted to each other.
How the switches work
Using the handle and shifter, the cyclist activates the required speed. In a certain position of the handle, the cable is pulled. As a result of this tension, the frame is thrown onto larger sprockets; when the cable is loosened, it is not thrown onto small sprockets. As mentioned above, you can start setting up your bike from the rear derailleur. Procedure for adjusting the rear derailleur:
- select the second star in the front block, and the smallest in the rear one and set the switch chain on them;
- The bike‘s rear derailleur system has two bolts that act as stops. One is abbreviated as H, and on the other. L. These two bolts are used to adjust the high and low gears on the sprockets. If during the adjustment process any extraneous sounds occur, you can get rid of them with the help of the latch;
- check the tension of the cable and if the tension does not correspond to the required one, use the regulator located on the shifter;
- Test the switching quality. If the switching occurs smoothly, no extraneous sounds are heard, then you did everything right.
Bicycle front derailleur
The transition to the setting of this mechanism is possible only when the rear derailleur is set. This is important for Honor before starting work. The figure shows the switch (round, black).
Leave the chain on the middle sprocket of the front block and place it on the large sprocket in the rear block. If chain friction is observed, re-engage adjuster L. To adjust stop H, the chain moves to the largest sprocket at the front and smallest at the back. The adjuster will help to position the chain in the optimal position without friction and excessive tension on the chain. At the end of the work, be sure to check the quality of its implementation.