Types and methods of steering wheel adjustment
The steering bar in a bicycle can be adjusted in two ways:
- By height, which determines the inclination of the cyclist’s torso and the location of his arms;
- By the angle of inclination, the level of which will determine what kind of load certain muscle groups are exposed to and how quickly the cyclist gets tired.
Raise. lower, adjust the steering bar, starting from the location of the bicycle saddle, depending on whether the steering wheel is located above or below it and how its owner plans to ride this two-wheeled vehicle.
The VELOBIKE steering wheel can be adjusted in height in two types: on threaded and threadless steering columns.
Tilt angle adjustment method
For comfortable cycling, sometimes you just need to slightly adjust the tilt of the handlebar.
This is easiest to do if you have an adjustable stem. By acting on the adjustable stem, which is connected to the frame with one bolt, it should be slightly loosened by changing the angle of inclination and clamped again. However, if such an element is put on a bicycle bike, then it is exclusively on an amateur walking.
The second way to adjust the angle of the bicycle handlebar is to loosen the four (two) screws located in the middle of the handlebar. Loosen these bolts, you can turn the steering wheel around its axis. After the adjustment, you should check whether it has become more comfortable to ride the VELOBIKE. However, the bolts must be tightened first. Otherwise, the steering bar will not hold well and at any moment, under the weight of the cyclist, may lean forward, which is fraught with injury and other unpleasant consequences.
If the tilt adjustment is successful and the bike is ready for a comfortable ride, tighten the bolts as tight as possible. They must securely fix the steering wheel so that it does NOT stagger and does not dangle during a bike ride.
Threaded steering column
In bicycles with a threaded steering column. a metal tube that extends from the frame, the adjustment is as follows:
- The first step at the top of the stem (bracket) is to loosen the bolt by using a hex wrench. It is not necessary to completely remove the stem from the frame;
- Using a wrench, the lock nut located at the junction of the frame and the bracket is loosened;
- Slowly, with light turning (scrolling) movements, the steering wheel is stirred and gradually detached from the frame;
- The mating elements are cleaned, wiped with a degreaser to avoid it getting stuck in the bike frame in the future;
- The steering wheel is installed in place, its height is adjusted, after which it is securely fixed at the desired level with the upper bolt. This does not require any tools. The bracket can be easily fixed by hand. The use of tools can lead to the fact that in the future it may be difficult to loosen the nut and bolt.
How to adjust the handlebars on a bike
When riding a VELOBIKE, it is important that the person sitting on it feels comfortable. This will provide him with a good, effective and correct load on all muscles. This is facilitated to a greater extent by a competently installed handlebar, in accordance with the growth of the cyclist. But not all owners of two-wheelers, especially mountain ones, know how to adjust the handlebars on a bicycle. But for different types of riding, this is simply necessary. So, a high-raised steering bar is suitable for quiet walks, unhurriedly, slow movement on the road, while Rapid races require it to be set lower, so that it is easier to ride, overcome wind resistance, more efficiently, rush along the road faster.
- Types and methods of steering wheel adjustment
- Height change methods
- Threaded steering column
- Threadless steering column
- Tilt angle adjustment method
Height change methods
There are several options for the steering column, which is why the adjustments are different.
Threadless steering column
In bicycles not equipped with threaded steering columns, the height adjustment of the handlebars is somewhat different. Most often, it is necessary to purchase another bracket. more authentic or shorter, based on which element was originally installed. with too close or, conversely, distant location. You can also solve the problem by adding additional spacer rings under the stem, increasing the distance from the bike frame to the stem. And if necessary, they can be removed at any time. But in the case of spacer rings, it must be borne in mind that the fork rod is cut to fit a certain number of rings when assembling the bike. And if initially the possibility of installing rings under the stem was not provided, then it will NOT be possible to do this without any tweaks. If this moment was provided, then spacer rings must be installed above the stem, which you need to subsequently rearrange under it.
When adjusting, it is very important to adjust the height so that it is comfortable for the cyclist and not just in the correct position. To check the convenience of the steering wheel, you need to resort to someone else’s help. While the user checks, while sitting on the bike, how much more comfortable it has become to sit on the saddle, hold the handlebars, the second person must hold the bike.
So, steering wheel adjustment takes place in several stages:
- Using a hex wrench, you need to unscrew the vertically located bolt, which is twisted in the cap (top cap) of the steering column. It presses the fork, steering column and stem together;
- Loosen the stem bolts, which fix it on the fork rod, so that the handlebar together with the stem can be disconnected from the bike frame;
- Carefully, do not rush to remove the steering wheel, carefully watching so that the wires are not damaged;
- Remove or add spacer rings used to achieve the required height;
- Put the stem with the rudder back on the added elements;
- Tighten the stem bolts slightly, but do not tighten;
- Tighten the bolt in the top cap, pulling together the elements of the steering column in this way;
- Adjust so that the stem is centered in alignment with the front wheel;
- Tighten the bolt on the top cap and tighten the bolts on the stem;
- Check how well the steering column is adjusted by turning the front wheel. To do this, you need to stand in such a way that the frame of the vehicle is between your legs and rolls it back and forth a little. When sensations appear, as if something is wobbling under your hands, you need to loosen the bolts on the sides and tighten the upper bolt better and then tighten the side bolts again.
For a comfortable ride on a bicycle, it is necessary that the height and angle of the handlebar in it correspond to the height of the person and this type of ride for which he is configured. Otherwise, a walk or a headlong trip will leave an unpleasant aftertaste, instead of a pleasant experience. For a leisurely, calm ride, it is advisable to adjust the steering wheel at the same height as the seat, or even slightly higher. A fast, impetuous race requires a different adjustment. the steering wheel drops lower so that you can tilt, it makes it easier to pedal, increase the speed of the BIKE.
This parameter is one of the most important, from which you need to start the adjustment. You can determine the height of the seat yourself, for this you need to take into account the growth of riders and the peculiarities of the terrain on which the trip will be carried out. Before you start setting up, you must understand the following rules, which ensure the safety of the trip.
- Each mechanism has a maximum height mark. So, the level of the seatpost should be within acceptable limits.
- Having decided on the optimal level of height, the “seat” must be well positioned and fixed at the selected level.
- The front of the saddle must be level.
The adjustment itself is quite simple and consists of the following steps:
- The first step is to loosen the Tightening nut;
- Further, do not rush to pull (press in) the pin, while you need to hold the saddle;
- Then the fastening is tightened;
- At the last stage of adjustment, it is necessary to check whether the seat is firmly fixed.
It is imperative to position the seat correctly. Methods that have been specially developed for this type of adjustment will help determine the level of the seat on the bike.
- Numerical calculation. With this calculation of the required height, you will need a tape measure or centimeter. Using a measuring tool, you need to determine the distance from the sole to the groin on your body. The resulting value must be multiplied by the unchanged coefficient 1.09. For example, if the length of your legs is 60 centimeters, then after multiplying it turns out that the seat should be at a height of 65.4 centimeters from the floor level.
- Almost straight leg method. This method was developed so that it can be used to determine the bend of the leg. It has been experimentally found that the correct position is when the limb on the lower pedal is straight.
- Heel method. This method suggests adhering to the following sequence of actions:
- It is necessary to place the “iron horse” so that it is motionless;
- Sit on the saddle and fix the heel on the pedal. at this moment it should be at the bottom;
- Adjustment and fixation should be done with the leg completely straight.
You can also use an option for which you need a special goniometer device. This method is popularly called the “Hill Method”. It makes it possible to reduce the likelihood of injury while traveling. Using a goniometer, you can measure the angle of the knee joint. Ideal for an adult if the angle is 25º. 30º. But if you have problems with the knee joint, before using this method, you should definitely consult with a specialist.
Why adjust the seat?
A bicycle is a simple mechanism that everyone is familiar with. But very often, people who ride this type of transport professionally or just out of necessity do not even think about the fact that before saddling their “iron horse”, it must be carefully prepared for the trip. One of the main preparation steps is to correctly position the seat. This is necessary to:
- The bike ride was comfortable;
- All muscle groups worked correctly;
- The load on the body was evenly distributed;
- Transportation was easy;
- Benefits the body.
The first thing to do after buying a bike and before starting to use it is to “fit it for yourself”, Taking into account all the structural features and body parameters of the one who will ride it. You should know that for each model of such transport there is its own adjustment option. For example, on a mountain two-wheeled transport, it is different from that which is characteristic of an amateur, usually a type of mechanism. There are certain rules that are mandatory for all bike modifications. Should be adjusted:
- Seat height is at pedal level;
- The seat angle is determined by its offset.
Further in the article, we will talk in detail about each of the rules and how to correctly carry out the process itself.
Experts and professional cyclists state that the saddle should be installed horizontally and directed towards traffic. Tilting the saddle is not recommended. Here the angle of inclination depends on how the load will be distributed on different muscle groups. In the event that the front of the saddle is strongly raised up, the pressure on the soft tissues will increase, and this is fraught with negative consequences and diseases.
With a strong tilt of the saddle forward, you will constantly slide, and the ride itself will not bring pleasure, but only discomfort.
How to properly adjust the bike seat?
- Why adjust the seat?
- Height adjustment
- Angle setting
- Horizontal position
The bicycle is a very popular transport today. Many people choose it not only for sports, but also as a means of transportation. This is not surprising, because it is cycling that promotes excellent muscle training and improved well-being. In this article we will talk about how to properly adjust the bicycle seat so that riding on it is as comfortable as possible and brings only benefits, and not harm to the body.
With this type of adjustment, the length of the arms must be taken into account. This setting allows you to:
- Establish correct centering;
- Provide good speed while riding;
- Make transport management easy and convenient.
The process is performed in the following sequence:
- Loosen the screw that fixes and holds the pin and the seat;
- Move the seat;
- Fix the fastening elements;
- Sit on the saddle and pay attention to the position of the knees, their level should be vertical in relation to the pedal axis (to check, use the position of the leg at the lowest point, the knee does not have to move forward too much).
Horizontal adjustment is only possible after the seat has been correctly installed. After completing all the above steps with the indispensable consideration of the physiological characteristics of the body structure, you can be sure that the load while riding will fall on all muscles in the same volume. At the same time, arms and legs will not tire quickly.
For how to properly adjust the saddle on your bike, see the following.
Types of mounting a bicycle handlebar
It turns out that the design of the bicycle handlebar mount is different, so the approach to adjusting it in height also differs on different types of bicycles.
Threaded mount, with the stem in the steering column using a wedge lock. This design is most often used on budget, but the most popular city bikes or road bikes. It is characterized by the simplicity and clarity of the approach to the issue of removing, installing, adjusting the bicycle wheel in height. But this design is heavy, and later it is not used on sports bicycles popular today.
Threadless mount, with the stem fixing in the steering column using an expanding anchor, and additionally. with a stem clamp. This bicycle handlebar design is characterized by its structural simplicity and lightness. Most often used on modern sports bicycles. But in the issue of adjusting the steering wheel in height, it is characterized by ambiguity and multivariate approaches.
Removal, installation and height adjustment of the steering wheel with a threaded fastening
In order to remove or adjust such a bicycle wheel in height, you must:
- Using an appropriately sized wrench, loosen the retaining nut on the top of the head tube;
- Use a wrench of the appropriate size to loosen the expansion screw of the wedge-retainer (in the upper end of the structure), so that there is a play in the bicycle steering wheel attachment;
Pull out the steering wheel assembly and remove it from the steering tube, or adjust it to the installation height (raise or lower), and then tighten the wedge-retainer screw and the fastening nut in sequence.
How to remove and raise a handlebar on a bicycle. Why remove and raise / lower the steering wheel?
Before we come to the question of how to raise and lower, remove and put back the handlebars on a bicycle, let’s decide why this is usually done? We will NOT be distracted by the not-so-frequent cases when the bicycle wheel breaks down and needs to be replaced. It is already obvious that in cases of repair, a broken bicycle handlebar will have to be removed and replaced with a new one. In the overwhelming majority of cases, manipulation of the bicycle handlebar height is used to regulate the height of the rider’s seating position.
The zero or universal level of a bicycle handlebar is its height, which is equal to the height of the saddle. If the level of grip on the handlebars is higher than the level of the saddle, the handlebars on the bike are considered high. If the hand grip is below the saddle level, the handlebar is considered low. The interdependencies are as follows:
- The higher the handlebars, the straighter the cyclist’s seating position, the more relaxed the back and arms, and the more comfortable, but slower cycling. This position is suitable for long and comfortable riding, but not suitable for high-speed.
- The lower the handlebar, the lower the position of the cyclist’s body, closer to horizontal, aerodynamically streamlined, the ergonomics of the muscle frame approach the most effective, but the muscles of the back and arms are constantly tense in this position. This position of the cyclist is used for short-term high-speed riding, but not suitable for prolonged stay in the bike.
Removal, installation and height adjustment of a handlebar with a threadless mount
In this design, the removal / installation of a bicycle wheel and its height adjustment are often different concepts and operations.
With the removal and installation of such a bicycle handlebar, everything is more or less clear and monotonous, it must actually be disassembled into parts:
- Loosens the armature screw (in the upper end of the steering tube) with a hex key
- Also, with a hexagon or a wrench, loosen the stem clamp screws;
- Removing the stem with the steering bar assembly.
But the regulation of its height is not so unambiguous, and has options:
- After removing the steering wheel, by inserting spacer washers between the stem and the head tube. But the range of such adjustment is insignificant, limited to a few centimeters.
- By purchasing an adjustable stem. Everything is clear here. on such a take-out, adjustment is made by a built-in mechanism (there are different designs), easily and quickly, literally on the go or at a short stop.
- By adjusting the stem height. Conceptually, everything is simple. a new stem of the required height is bought, the old and new stem are swapped. But it will NOT work quickly. maximum, just before each trip.
- By selecting the steering bar, according to the lifting height of the handles. The principle is the same as in the selection of the stem. I bought the right steering wheel, installed it, rode it, got tired. replaced it with another one, with a different lifting height of the handles.
Thus, if you have a sports bike and would like to be able to change its height adjustment quickly, right while riding, there is practically no alternative to an adjustable stem. Although, as an option, you can purchase and install a multi-position bicycle wheel. a ram, a butterfly and others. Multi-position handlebars allow you to get away from the problem of changing the position (position) of the cyclist during the trip even easier than the adjustable stem.