How to remove
Disconnecting the chain is indispensable here. We have already studied this procedure in detail in the material on how to change the chain on a bicycle with shifted gears. If there is no lock, then squeeze will be required. But in the future, we advise you not to give up such a convenient little thing as a chain lock.
It is advisable to wash the removed chain. It is important to choose the means, which we have mentioned more than once in the corresponding publication. Although the result of research on technology, how and how to clean a bicycle chain at home. impressed. We came to the conclusion that it is most convenient to do this with a high-pressure jet, and right on the bike.
- Disconnect the cable from it.
- Disconnect the frame clamp.
How to install
When securing the derailer on the frame, do not rush to tighten the clamp of its fastening. First, in the case of a thin-walled butted frame, overtightening will cause the seat tube to buckle. Secondly, the crossover has not yet been set relative to the stars.
Putting it right means fulfilling two requirements:
- The frame should be parallel to the stars.
- There should be a gap of about 2 mm between the teeth of the largest chainring and the frame structure, but not more than 3 mm.
Now tighten the clamp to a reasonable torque and install the chain.
Attention! Remember that frontal throws are different. Therefore, when choosing a new one, consider the following points:
- Number of teeth on each sprocket of the system.
- Traction type: top or bottom (determines the cable entry. from the bottom of the frame or from the top).
How to adjust the bike‘s front derailleur
It is generally not worth adjusting the front derailleur until the rear derailleur is configured. But before you tweak something, you need to thoroughly know how it works. Therefore, let’s try to understand the principle of its work.
Front bulkhead replacement technology
If the front derailleur is not correctly positioned on the bike frame, it will not be able to adjust. Since the conversation about the installation methodology is brewing, it is appropriate to discuss the essence of dismantling activities.
Shimano Mountain Bike Front Derailleur Adjustment
First, use the Shimano Bike Reverse Speed Adjustment Guide. After all, a working rear dealer is one of the requirements of the preparatory measures. They also include:
- Checking the cable and shirts. Fiber unraveling and sticking in the shirt is not allowed.
- Correct installation of the gear selection unit on the frame, described in the previous paragraph.
- Disconnected cable from derailleur.
The adjustment of the mechanism is carried out strictly in the stated sequence:
- Adjust the lower gear limiter. Switch to the smallest star in the front and the largest in the back (this will be 1-1 in the shifters). Turn screw L to bring the chain as close as possible to the inner edge of the frame. In this case, the chain should not rub against the frame structure. Take this step seriously if you don’t want the chain to come off and get bitten between the carriage and the small star.
- Connect the cable to the derailleur. Before attaching, screw in the thumbscrew on the shifter until it stops, and then turn it out 1-1.5 turns. At the final stage, this will facilitate readjustment.
- Adjust the upper gear limiter. Place the chains on the largest chainring at the front and the smallest chainring at the back (for example, on a 27-speed bike, this would be 3-9). Tighten screw H to move the outer edge of the frame as close as possible to the chain. Again, the chain should not rub against the transfer.
- Adjust the precision of the forward throw with the thumbscrew on the shifter. Everyone does it differently. One of the ways is to sit on the bike and, with the help of the drum, select such a cable tension force, at which the chain freely passes from the 1st to the 2nd star and from the 2nd to the 3rd. The second way is to put the bike in place, switch to the middle sprocket and alternately put the 2nd and the penultimate sprocket in the back. The chain should not rub in these positions. The extreme method does not differ in accuracy, requires verification on the move and is unfair for cheap class transfers.
For your information. When lubricating the cable, use only a special silicone grease that does not attract dust.
How To Troubleshoot a Front Derailleur
We check the operation of the switch under load. If the chain moves freely along all the stars and does not touch the frame while driving, we can consider the setup complete. Congratulations.
But you will never be able to adjust so that the chain does not rub against the frame at the front highest and rear lowest and vice versa. It is necessary to strive for this, but not everyone succeeds. Therefore, if you want to achieve academic heights in setting up the front transfer, then only practice will help with this.
Sometimes the fault of the frame grinding against the chain can be increased wear of the crossover. It is easy to check this. if the frame has a play, it is better to change the speed switch to a new one. Its repair is not worth the time you spend, and a new one is not so expensive, and besides, there will be a guarantee that it will last for more than one season.
Bike won’t shift.Lets fix that
But in any case, no matter how carefully you set up the front shifter, it will not save you from the rattle of the chain on the frame if you are not shifting gears correctly. Without going into subtleties, remember the most important thing. you do not need to switch speeds while loading the pedals. Those. stop pedaling for a second, switch the speed and smoothly (without excessive pressure) make a few pedaling rotations. When you do not yet realize that the chain has moved to the correct sprocket, you can continue with normal pedaling. over, the cheaper the system on your bike, the stricter it is to follow this rule.
In general, the settings described above are sufficient for comfortable and problem-free operation of the front derailleur.
Statistics say that the front “shifter” requires less maintenance than the rear one. Simplicity of design is also on the “front” side. Why, then, there are a lot of questions when installing and setting up this unit. What is the capriciousness of the front crossover? And in the end, how to do the work so that the result does not cause discontent and criticism.
Fasten the gearshift cable. Pulling it slightly, fix it with a screw or fastening nut. If there is a spacer washer with a groove, put the cable into it and clamp it.
Why do not the front speed change when changing from 1st to 2nd or from 2nd to 3rd
The reason the chain does not bounce onto the large front sprockets without additional tension is due to the stretched cable. In this situation, there is no need to configure from scratch. It is enough to twist the shifting lever and everything will fall into place.
For your information. Additional pull is pulling the cable in the current mode using the trigger on the shifter. For example, you switch the chain from the first chainring to the second by clicking the knob to the number “2”. The chain rubs against the frame, but does not go over to the adjacent toothed gear. Then you pull up the cable, slightly pushing the handle towards the inclusion of third gear, but not turning it on, and the chain freely goes to the star
Unscrew the thumbscrew 1 turn and try shifting in place by lifting the rear wheel and pedaling. If the chain still does not move freely onto the large sprockets, then rotate the drum half a turn and try to use the jump in place again. Repeat the ½ turn. check series until shifts in both directions are accurate.
For your information. The lamb’s stroke is limited to 5-6 turns. If this margin is not enough, then tighten the cable on the switch itself by unscrewing the cable securing bolt. Before clamping, turn the drum on the shifter until it stops, and then release it 1 turn. Repeat the thumbscrew adjustment procedure again.
Having achieved a clear transfer in place, drive and test the operation of the front block of speeds. Under load, the setting may not seem so ideal, so you have to turn the drum in one direction or another within ½ a turn and immediately check the new position while driving.
How to switch gears correctly
Correct gear shifting allows you to ride easier and more comfortable with less effort, as well as increase the service life of all elements of the bicycle transmission. We have prepared several rules and recommendations on how to properly switch speeds on a bike:
Pros and cons of an external system
Among the positive aspects of the design under consideration, many distinguish simplicity, low cost, compact dimensions and, with all this, a large number of shifted gears. Of course, external gear shifting on a bicycle has no less cons.
- high probability of breakage if dropped;
- switching only when driving;
- frequent chain wear;
- high degree of influence of external factors on work.
Bicycle does not shift gears
If the part is damaged, it must be replaced.
- Unscrew the fixing screw on the lintel.
- Disassemble the shifter to pull out the cable.
- Insert a new one, treat with special grease.
- Run it through the shirts and put them back in place.
- Secure the new cable to the derailleur.
Instructions for adjusting the derailleur on a bicycle
Usually, advanced cyclists change the derailleurs to fit their bike exactly the equipment they would like, thus adjusting the bike to their needs. Beginners usually do not have to think about such an acquisition, unless a breakdown has occurred. Nevertheless, it will be useful to consider popular models.
The first models were invented in the 50s. In essence, the gear system is the front sprocket. The chain is thrown from one chainring to another, increasing or decreasing the cadence.
- Fast pedaling at low speed. low gear. Combination of large front and back sprockets. It is designed to overcome mountains, off-road and similar areas.
- Increased for high speeds. It is a large star in front and a small one in the back.
Switching takes place using a derailer:
- The rudder coins pull the cable.
- The frame shifts and throws the chain onto an adjacent star.
- Behind everything is the same. The patch moves from the tension of the cable and throws the chain.
Now you know how it works. There are two main product manufacturing companies:
On the steering wheel, gears are measured using coins:
The Backwards Brain Bicycle. Smarter Every Day 133
- A switch combined with a handle. To change the speed, you just need to turn the drum to the desired mark indicating the gear. They are easy to use, which is why they are often used on children’s and women’s models.
- Triggers. They control the change in the position of the cable using two levers. They can be combined with the brake lever, or they can be installed separately. This combination is usually found on advanced models with a hydraulic braking system.
- There are high class combination handles. Such a brake lever can be shifted from left to right, thus changing the gear. Analogs have been around for a long time on road bikes.
How the switches work
Using the handle and shifter, the cyclist activates the required speed. In a certain position of the handle, the cable is pulled. As a result of this tension, the frame is thrown onto larger sprockets; when the cable is loosened, it is not thrown onto small sprockets. As mentioned above, you can start setting up your bike from the rear derailleur. Procedure for adjusting the rear derailleur:
- select the second star in the front block, and the smallest in the rear one and set the switch chain on them;
- The bike’s rear derailleur system has two bolts that act as stops. One is abbreviated as H, and on the other. L. These two bolts are used to adjust the high and low gears on the sprockets. If during the adjustment process any extraneous sounds arise, you can get rid of them with the help of the latch;
- check the tension of the cable and if the tension does not correspond to the required one, use the regulator located on the shifter;
- Test the switching quality. If the switching occurs smoothly, no extraneous sounds are heard, then you did everything right.
How to properly adjust the rear and front derailleurs on a bicycle: photo and description of the process
Despite the fact that the bicycle was invented a long time ago and, it would seem, should have been out of date for a long time, but this two-wheeled vehicle is gaining more and more popularity every year. Cycling enthusiasts prefer this type of transport due to its convenience, ease of operation, environmental safety and practicality. Not only ordinary bicycles are very popular, but also mountain, track bikes, which use modern innovative technologies. In order for the owners to enjoy cycling, they need to take care of it and monitor the condition of all parts and assemblies. If, in the process of cycling, you hear extraneous sounds, creaking, knocking and twitching during gear shifting, it’s time to pay attention to such a detail as the gear selector.
What to do if you can’t adjust the bike‘s rear derailleur
There are several methods for solving this issue. But if the standard tuning instruction did not work, to tune the rear derailleur you need to:
- dismantle the chain, remove the cable;
- move the switch to the chain position to the smallest star;
- use adjusting bolts (this way you can tighten the cable);
- set the adjusting bolt H to the extreme position;
- move the part called the parallelogram to the big star and adjust the position of the bolt L.
The regulator is fixed with bolts. It must be set to the extreme position. After that, the chain must be displaced in this order: the front cassette is the largest star in diameter, the rear one, on the contrary, is the smallest.
To adjust, you need a hex wrench and a Phillips screwdriver.
- We put the chain on the big star at the back. Small in front.
- Loosen the fixing screw. The position of the frame is adjusted with a screw marked LOW. Our task is to set the gap between the chain and the left side of the frame at about 0.5 mm.
- Now we fix the cable. It is not necessary to tighten too much. Switch to a small star in the back and a large one in front. There may be interruptions. As long as it’s ok.
- Using the screw, set the gap between the chain and the right side of the switch frame to 0.5 mm.
- Checking the quality of the settings. If the chain is thrown over with an interference, then carry out micro-adjustments. Make no more than 1-2 turns so as not to knock out the settings. Done.