Overview of cargo bike models
One genre of bicycle that works well for an electric vehicle is the cargo bike. Due to the nature of the cargo bike, there is plenty of room to hide batteries, controllers, and wiring, and they have plenty of room left for a child or two.
For an electric biker, the extra pounds that the cargo bike frame weighs don’t have any major significance or consequences, especially considering the extra capacity to hold the battery. Basically, with a cargo bike, you’ll be able to pour as much lithium battery into the bags as you can shake your credit card with, with storage space and load capacity finally becoming an issue! Once the cargo bike is rolling, they are designed to handle well even when weighing in. Your only problem with a heavy cargo bike will be when it comes to parking.
Note the 1000W rear suspension motor. Imagine all the battery you can carry in this battery compartment under the solar cell that serves as a charger.
A cargo bike is one of the best frame options for an electric bike due to its ability to hold a lot of battery weight. What about styrofoam brick? Owning a cargo electric bike can be like owning a truck. But beware. Pretty soon, everyone will want to get a favor or pick up. It’s like owning a truck.
If you live in the suburbs, blessed with a large garage, Use your bike mostly outdoors, plan to carry loads with an E-bike, kids. A cargo ebike might be the perfect solution for you. Loaded electric bikes are a fun and healthy way to bring your kids together. Imagine how your child would feel like riding outdoors versus driving home. These are the days your child will always remember and perhaps grow up to be part of a healthy cycling culture.
This cyclist must be on the bike path.
This rider uses a Stoke Monkey medium disc and makes life memories for his three children.
There are many kinds of cargo E-bikes, and to keep them simple, lets break it down into 3 styles.
3 Styles of cargo electric bikes
There are 3 main styles of cargo motorcycle, which can be converted to electric.
2. Long tails
Its value is weighing the pros and cons of all three styles.
The trailer can instantly transform your setup into an electric cargo bike. Trailers have been used by cyclists looking to transport an extra battery, kids, camping and even dogs. People biked all over the country on regular mountain bikes hauling trailers with all their food, camping and especially lots of battery.
Here are some unusual cycling adventures. A friend of mine developed a cargo trailer a few years ago that will turn your regular bike into an electric bike. It is called “Motobob” and is in fact an E-trailer converter with a controller, battery pack and motor, which are built into the trailer. When you’re done riding, you can convert your electric bike back to a regular bike by disconnecting the trailer. Now this is what we call very neat. Unfortunately this device is NOT in production anymore, so it is now part of the history of the electric bike.
And here is the modern stud of a motor trailer (The Ridekick) for instantly converting a regular bike into an electric bike: And there is a fat electric bike with a trailer. Fatbike with trailer.
DIY chainsaw motorbike
Not every happy bicycle owner is delighted with the need to pedal and wastes his energy. A motorized bike is more convenient and less power-hungry.
A bicycle with a chainsaw motor with your own hands is not as difficult to make as it seems at first glance. For this you will need:
- A bike;
- A saw with a gasoline engine power of at least 2000 W. it will depend on this indicator whether he can get under way. As practice shows, engine power of 2 hp. It is enough for the motorbike to reach a speed of up to 40 km / h;
- Tank for the future fuel tank;
- Cable from an old bike;
- A handle to be able to adjust the throttle;
- Bolt ties, nuts and other small consumables for creating fasteners;
- Couplings to create a wheel-motor connection.
The process of putting a chainsaw engine on a bicycle is as follows:
- By aggregating the drive shaft, we remove the rear wheel tires and put on tires with a diameter of up to 2.5 cm. This equipment will help to take the engine speed, and, like a gearbox, reduce the speed;
- We weld the stand from the corners with electric welding. it will help to install the engine from the chainsaw;
- Redesigning the clutch. you can use a centrifugal from a factory saw by connecting it to the wheel;
- We adapt the gas tank. it can be located next to the engine, or on the frame;
- Fastening a wire from a motor ignition system on one of the bike arms;
- Attach a cable from the carburetor to the throttle handle so that control of the throttle valve is simple and quick;
- Equip the motorcycle with protective equipment: mirrors, a flashlight, and proceed to testing a homemade bicycle from a chainsaw.
As you can see, it is not so difficult to put a motor from a chainsaw on a bicycle.
Karting equipment by motor
- We remove the motor from the chainsaw;
- We make a base for the motor. from a steel plate and a corner. Its pulley must match the last frame structure;
- We fasten the pulley with screws;
- We take 2 metal rods, which we bend at right angles. this will drive the steering wheel of the go-kart;
- We apply the brakes. it is desirable that the braking is extended to all 4 wheels. Don’t forget about the brake pedal: it will be very inconvenient to press the brake with your hands;
- When equipping karting wheels. wheels with a small diameter from an old racing car will do;
- We adjust the ignition. we connect it to the throttle valve and the gas handle;
- Reliability control assembly and testing of the finished unit.
Karting is a luxury for an ordinary person, but with the help of improvised means, you can create a budget version. karting with a chainsaw engine.
Make an electric cargo bike a cheap and easy way. If you’re on a budget this is the way to go.
Just a hub motor (front or back), a controller fixed somewhere on the frame, and a battery in the basket. Conversion bikes are NOT overly complicated and can be made as cheap or as expensive as you want them to be. The figure above is an Xtra loop. A set that turns an ordinary mountain bike into a cargo bike. Another option is to start with a cargo bike to start with and then just add the motor and baskets. It’s easy and can be a little more expensive, but doesn’t require a donor bike. This is a simple bike for anyone who can build, and in favor of creating yourself, you can establish your own talent. Or your own, whatever you place around the house.
The following 2 electric bicycles started out as regular mountain bikes and were converted with the help of welders:
Dogmenskaya “Bouncing betty”
»Crazybike 2» Amberwolf with a comfortable seat.
The above bike was built on a budget and is a conventional steel frame mountain bike that has been welded into a cargo bike and lovingly crafted to suit the tastes and whims of the creators. The bike is painted in fantastic colors and has lights and turn signals, so the rider is sure to be spotted by traffic. This bike becomes an expression of the builders’ passion for creating something affordable, built with recycled components from around the house, and inherently safe.
Here’s a perfect example of a custom electric bike conversion in Australia as a delivery vehicle on GlowWorm bikes. I love electric cargo bikes with 20-inch wheels because they lower the center of gravity, keeping all that weight down, making the bike even easier to handle and maneuver:
The next bike is a very Clever Cycles to Orgeon conversion, as well as a 20 ” wheel with a low forward pitch, but this bike is built on the Stoke Monkey medium system. Nice stand. This electric bike can be ridden with or without a child in the back. This bike looks so much fun. The sturdy front stand is similar to the pedal bikes used for years by the Dutch Postal Service:
Another take on a cargo bike is simply a big butt front strut to carry your load. Pereira Cycles has built a beautiful cargo bike with this:
The next example is an experienced cargo bike builder in Ithaca, New York, who discovered that transporting passengers requires an extended shot if the passengers are NOT close (girlfriend, wife, or child). Also, since the bike is designed to carry two passengers and it lives in hilly terrain, Larry Clarkburg built a bike with a front and rear hub motor (AWD). Another unique quality, notes that it has a large hub and a large tire in the front, as well as a small tire and a small hub in the back. You can read more about his unique creation here:
Many manufacturers of electric cargo bikes are converting their electric bikes by building a battery mount method into a frame so that the rider has all of his boxes for maximum load. All lower bikes come turnkey ready to roll and all contain a battery built into the rear rack. Extra battery can be folded into baskets for long trips.
Flight Gary Fisher Transport
Yuba Mundo Electric. They took their stock model and installed a battery between the seat and rear wheel, as well as a center-to-center engine (Ezee)
My favorite turnkey e-buy-in truck, the Juiced Rider electric bike is designed by an Olympic high-weight jump, a shiny 20-inch low-pitch bike with a huge ah battery and a 500-watt geared motor and disc brakes.
“Purpose built” means that the electric cargo bike was built from scratch and was electric. Even with conventional e-bikes, it’s a feat that very few companies bother with. In the Electric Cargo Bikes category, I only know one custom built bike that’s beautiful, practical and uber expensive: the Urban Arrow. This is not a simple hub motor, but a specially designed mid drive.
Urban Arrow. ultra-thin children’s wagon.
Bicycle with a motor: Connect the motor from a chainsaw with your own hands
If you are experiencing the urge to experiment and DO NOT give up the opportunity to transform your bike into a homemade moped, which can accelerate to 50 km per hour and more, this instruction is for you.
Using simple parts, you can design a bike with a chainsaw motor with your own hands. Let’s get started!
- Inspect and check your bike thoroughly. The proposed modernization will significantly increase the load on all its parts. Therefore every detail must be inspected and well oiled. Also check all fasteners and re-tighten the bolts. In addition to the constructive necessity, all these actions are the key to your safety.
- You can make a bike with a chainsaw engine or a trimmer (also called a petrol cutter). If you are thinking about how to adapt a motor from a petrol brush to a bicycle, then there is nothing complicated here. A gas cutter is suitable for this design in the same way as a chainsaw. If you choose a chainsaw, make sure that its power is at least 2 kW. And if you have a trimmer, then 1 kW of power will be enough, since the engine speed is lower. The point is that you have to get enough traction to get going. But a more powerful engine means more weight. You need that the weight of the motor does not exceed 6 kg, otherwise the bike will noticeably chatter on the road.
Bicycle brushcutter engine
- Check engine for proper operation. A bike powered by a chainsaw will of course roar loudly. we suppose you are ready for it. Most likely, your neighbors and bystanders will NOT be ready. Therefore, we recommend that you conduct your tests away from human habitation. in the forest, in a park, on a country road.
Pay special attention to checking the condition of the gas tank. Gasoline must not spill out as this creates a fire hazard. The engine will be behind you, so you should especially check this moment.
- Now let’s find out how to put a chainsaw engine on a bicycle. There must be space behind the cyclist, above the rear wheel. To do this, you have to remove the wing. The easiest way is to apply this scheme: put a drive shaft, and use tires instead of a driven shaft. This type of drive is the simplest and most efficient, the design does NOT require the use of a large number of parts. The friction shaft will transmit rotation from the engine, for this the shaft diameter should be approximately 25 mm.
Engine over the rear wheel of the bike
- To mount the engine on your bike, weld a metal stand to the frame under the seat. Install the motor as low as possible, then your vehicle in motion will be more stable. You can fix the motor on the stand in any way. with bolts, clamps or by welding.
- The gas cable and the wires, which will allow the engine to be forcibly turned off, must be carefully fastened to the frame. It’s a matter of riding comfort and cyclist safety.
- Done! You can try your new bike with a chainsaw motor. Keep track of the tire pressure, it should be at least 3 atm.
Bicycle with a chainsaw engine
Chainsaw on bike
The master made his own design of a cargo bike and in his story he shares with other designers in the details of his small car.
What this bike consists of, which will subsequently be equipped with a motor.
The front fork and part of the frame to the pedal attachment points have been modified with a square tube connected by means of a quarrel. In the upper part, the structure is reinforced with a triangular tube structure, taking into account that the cargo bike can withstand significant loads. The pedals are from an old Soviet bicycle. Front wheel 20 inches. Rear wheels 24 inches. Crossbars are welded to the bottom of the body.
The main part of the bike is the front sprocket from a regular adult bike, and the back is the front sprocket from a small bike. The pedal is cut at the back. The turner turned a 53.5 cm long shaft.It was mounted on bearings.
Next: the cargo tricycle is equipped with a motor.
The master bought a 6.5 hp internal combustion engine. Although 3-4 hp would be enough. An optional 18 “pulley is supplied. All explanations and tests are further on.
The body is painted, the fenders are put on the wheels.
Oh great with a chainsaw.
For the correct assembly of a moped with your own hands, reliable service, for alteration and construction of other equipment, listen to the advice:
- Before assembling Motorbikes Make sure that the main part. the bike. is in optimal technical condition. The modernization will increase the load on all its parts.
- Check carefully the condition of the petrol tank. Fuel does not have to spill out as it can create a fire.
- Beyond the engine power, don’t forget about volume and weight. Volume must NOT exceed 50 cm³, weight. no more than 6 kg.
- When installing the belt, make sure that the part is held firmly on the wheels, otherwise the accuracy of the impulse transmission from the motor to the wheel will decrease.
- With the help of a chainsaw motor, you can independently design other equipment: go-kart or tricycle. You will have to make an effort: scolds a strong metal frame, prepare a working gear.
- With a sturdy frame, gearbox, driver’s seat, wheels at least 35 cm in diameter, and a saw motor Try building an ATV.
DO NOT throw away old equipment parts. They can breathe a second life and create a comfortable means of transportation.
- How to assemble a chainsaw
- How to put the chain on a chainsaw correctly
- How to start a chainsaw correctly
- Homemade helicopter from a chainsaw friendship 4
- Ural chainsaw homemade products
This is a quick guide on how to assemble a chainsaw powered bike. It is important to remember that when you make a moped or motorcycle out of a large one using an internal combustion engine (ICE) installation, there are subtle differences and nuances in which you should know.
It starts with a detailed drawing and design. We offer you to get acquainted with the finished drawing, which will save time on designs;
The proposed dimensions are suitable for a person of average height. For teenagers and tall people, the design should be customized according to their individual parameters. For teenagers, you can use another scheme, presented below.
A massive version of a cargo bike. These bikes have a long nose and hold the load in front of the rider. This is good for parents who want to monitor their children and carry a large volume or heavy weight. If you have a place to park your car and have some extra cash, this can make a great trip. You can also start a business on it:
Johnny Loco makes some really cool hub motor candidates
Joe Bike is one of the most famous Long John E-bike producers.
This is an Ecospeed electric bike that does what cargo bikes are known for.
There are 3 ways to convert them into electric cargo E-bikes:
Making a go-kart from a chainsaw
To assemble a go-kart from a chainsaw, you will need to prepare a number of elements.
- 2 pairs of small rubberized wheels. can be taken from old baby carriages;
- Steering unit. a bicycle design is suitable for assembly;
- Frame. welded from metal directly during the manufacture of karting;
- Steering and braking systems. mountain bike mechanisms will do.
Making a map from a household chainsaw is inexpensive.
The assembly procedure for this vehicle is as follows:
- First of all, you need to weld a sturdy frame. It must be resistant to road bumps and engine vibration. Pipes and metal corners are suitable for its manufacture. They must NOT be too heavy so as not to add weight to the machine;
- After that, you should assemble the suspension. It is best for the mechanism to be of the torsion type. it shows itself well when driving on an uneven road;
- Then you will need to assemble the steering assembly. To do this, you need to take the handlebars from the unnecessary bike, and fix it in the front of the frame;
- Next, you need to install the steering gear and rods;
- After that, you should attach the wheels and install the brake. The karts will also need to be equipped with a handbrake, which will make it possible to quickly go through sharp turns;
- In the end, it remains to install the driver’s seat and secure the engine. Between the engine and the frame, you will first need to lay a thick layer of rubber, which will dampen vibrations from the engine crankshaft.
It is best to use a belt or chain to transfer torque from the engine to the drive wheels. For this, pulleys or sprockets should be installed on the drive wheels. In order to reduce noise during operation, the card must be equipped with a silencer. To do this, you can take a ready-made standard muffler from a chainsaw, or scold a new element.
How to put a chainsaw engine on a bicycle?
At the finishing stage, a chainsaw moped will need to be equipped with a motor. To do this, you need to make room at the rear of the frame, just behind the driver’s seat. To mount the engine faster, you will need to remove the bike fender.
Most often, the following scheme is used: first, a prepared drive shaft is installed, after which a tire is used instead of a driven shaft. This drive is distinguished by its efficiency and simplicity. For its manufacture, it is not necessary to use a large number of elements. When moving a homemade moped, the friction shaft used will transfer power from the engine. In order not to allow losses in the power of the internal combustion engine, the diameter of the standard shaft must be at least 2.5 cm.
To mount the motor behind the seat, you will need a weld metal stand. The engine itself should be located as low as possible so that the moped is more stable when driving. You can securely fix the internal combustion engine to the stand in any way possible. by welding, clamps or bolts.
Do-it-yourself ATV from a chainsaw. how to make from improvised means?
The main advantage of a homemade ATV is the lightness and simplicity of the device. To assemble it, you do NOT need to buy expensive mechanisms, because it can be made from existing equipment.
The procedure for making an ATV from a chainsaw is as follows:
- First you need to assemble the base frame. To do this, the steel beams will need to be connected to each other using spot welding. After carefully checking the parts, they can be finally welded to each other;
- After that, in the allotted place you need to install the motor from the chainsaw. It can be mounted in the front or rear of the ATV. The main thing is to securely fix the motor on the platform;
- Next, you need to install the transmission and drive mechanism on the rear wheels. The finished drive can be taken from an old motorcycle. The mechanisms used must be securely fixed to the frame to avoid backlash;
- Then you need to install the steering, which can be taken from an old motorcycle;
- At the end, you will need to install a seat from a car and 4 wheels from a ZAZ-968 or Oka.
A homemade ATV will need to be tested. To do this, you first need to ride it over rough terrain with few obstacles. If the car works fine, then you can go on a trip on strong off-road.
Bicycle (moped, karting, scooter, ATV) with a motor from a chainsaw with your own hands
Modern gardeners are increasingly experimenting with the gasoline tools at their disposal. Mainly, a household chainsaw is used for this. Very often, its engine becomes the basis for making simple but very useful homemade products for self-assembly. For example, from a suitable motor from a chainsaw, you can make a bicycle, moped, go-kart, scooter and a lot of other means of transportation.
Homemade chainsaw mopeds will be useful for getting around rough terrain. They are also often used for movement in urban areas, where a lot of traffic accumulates. The small dimensions of mopeds allow them to freely overcome traffic jams and pass small obstacles.
Before you make a moped out of a bicycle and a chainsaw, you need to carefully prepare for work.
For assembly you will need:
- Engine from a gasoline tool. The speed of the moped depends on its power. When choosing a motor, you need to build on the fact that an internal combustion engine with a capacity of 2 liters. C. Enough for driving at a speed of NOT more than 40 km / h;
- Tank for refueling the moped with fuel. It is best to choose metal tanks or containers made of solid multi-layer plastic;
- Throttle Lever and Standard Bicycle Lanyard. These are needed to adjust the throttle position;
- Switch and wiring. required for mounting and connecting the standard engine ignition system for a moped;
- Parts for the manufacture of the bracket, nuts and bolts. needed to install the motor on the base frame;
- Belts, chains and pulleys. they will make it possible to connect the drive wheel of the moped to the engine from the chainsaw.
Assembling a moped from a chainsaw should be done in this order:
- The first step is to calculate the transfer of power from the engine to the wheel. To do this, you will need to determine the required gear ratio for the moped. If it is too small, then the GIS will not be able to transfer its force to the wheel of the moped. In the case of an extremely high gear ratio, the motor will run at very high revs, and the moped will, at the same time, go too slowly. There is a specific example, based on which you can determine the optimal gear ratio. If the engine used is 1.8 HP. S., and its maximum speed is 12,500 rpm, then the optimal gear ratio for a moped will be 1:26;
- The simplest method is to transfer the force from a standard pulley to a moped wheel. directly from the engine. It is also possible to equip the rear wheel with a pulley or sprocket, which must be connected to the motor with a chain or belt;
- Next, you need to equip the bike with a clutch. The easiest way is to use a standard centrifugal clutch from a chainsaw. In some cases, owners of chainsaws connect a standard moped clutch to a bicycle ratchet. After that the mopeds accelerate and move by inertia, which makes it possible to save fuel and engine oil;
- The next step is to install a gas tank. To make the device safe, the tank will need to be placed on the bike frame by connecting the tank to the engine with a fuel hose;
- Then you need to install the ignition. To do this, the standard wire of the assembly must be pulled from the engine to the bicycle handle. The latter must be equipped with a switch, which will make it possible to drown out the internal combustion engine of a homemade moped.
To control the motor, a homemade moped can be equipped with a throttle handle. To do this, a part from a mountain bike is suitable.You need to remove the retainer from the handle. this will enable it to move smoothly in any direction. After that, the standard cable will need to be connected to the factory throttle valve.
Chainsaw scooter. assembly procedure
A scooter is another means of transportation that you can make from a chainsaw with your own hands. It stands out for its modest dimensions and low weight, but it can be used for driving only on a flat road.
The scooter is assembled in the following order:
- First you need to make a frame. To do this, you need to take the profile pipes, paint them, and connect them together with the help of a solid quarrel;
- The front and rear wheels should be attached to the frame. They can be taken from an old baby carriage;
- Further, at the rear of the support frame, you need to secure the engine from the chainsaw. The torque from the motor to the rear drive wheel will be transmitted by the reducer, which will need to be returned in the opposite direction;
- A scooter from a chainsaw must be equipped with an ignition system. For this, a high-voltage coil from any VAZ model is suitable, as well as an uninterruptible power battery;
- Then you need to install a star and a chain, which can be taken from an old bicycle;
- Next, you need to install the fuel tank. It can be attached to the frame and connected to the engine with a fuel hose.
A ready-made scooter from a chainsaw can be equipped with disc brakes. The battery will make it possible to install a headlight and a sound signal on a homemade product.
Benefits of using a chainsaw to build a moped
Hand-made assembly of a bicycle with a motor from a household chainsaw gives the manufacturer a number of fundamental advantages.
A gas scooter from a chainsaw is quite easy to repair. Provided the correct sequence during assembly, the manufacturer of the unit gets free access to frequently replaced parts of the moped, which saves time, repairing it.
DIY bike with a chainsaw motor
Immediately before making a moped from a bicycle and a chainsaw, its manufacturer will need to carefully prepare for work.
For the alteration you will need:
- Gasoline engine. the speed of movement on a moped depends on its power. Most modern chainsaws are equipped with motors, the power of which ranges from 2 to 3 liters. C. Such an internal combustion engine will be sufficient for driving at a speed of 35 to 45 km / h on a flat road;
- Fuel tank. It is best to choose a tank made of stainless steel. If a moped or carting from a chainsaw will be operated on a flat road, then a plastic tank is also suitable for assembling it;
- Switch and wiring for connection to the ICE ignition system;
- Throttle grip and Bicycle cable tie, which will allow the driver to timely adjust the throttle position of the internal combustion engine;
- Parts for assembling the bracket, as well as nuts and bolts, with which the motor can be securely installed on the bike frame;
- Chains, pulleys and belts. needed to connect the drive wheel to the engine from a chainsaw.
When assembling a moped, a lot depends on the correct sequence of actions by the manufacturer.
The work algorithm should be as follows:
- The manufacturer must first determine how the power is transmitted from the engine to the drive wheel. To do this, you need to calculate the gear ratio of the unit in advance. If the gear ratio is too low, the engine from the chainsaw will NOT be able to provide the necessary traction for movement. As a result, a moped or ATV with your own hands from a chainsaw will NOT be able to start moving. If the gear ratio is too high, then the motor will start to operate at the maximum allowable speed, which will increase its wear. In this case, the bike itself will go very slowly. When calculating the gear ratio, the average example must be taken into account. So, if an engine with a capacity of approximately 1.78 liters is used to assemble a motorbike. S., and a rotational speed at a maximum speed of 12,500 rpm, then the gear ratio should be 1:26. The easiest way to transfer power from the pulley to the drive wheel is directly. A more costly method is to use a pulley or sprocket, which is additionally installed on the rear drive wheel. In this case, the wheel is connected to the motor using a chain or drive belt. When choosing between a belt and a chain, it is better to give preference to the first option, since using a belt when operating a homemade moped will be safer for the driver and his passenger;
- In a second step, the manufacturer must assemble the clutch. At the same time, there are 2 options for those who want to make a motorbike. The first is the use of a ready-made centrifugal clutch, which was originally provided for in the branded device of the chainsaw and turns on in automatic mode when the engine sets a certain rotation speed. The second method is to use a bicycle ratchet. A moped equipped with such a clutch from a chainsaw picks up a certain speed of movement and rolls by inertia. At this time, the ratchet itself is NOT connected to the drive wheel. Thus, after several clicks on the throttle lever, the motorbike can move at idle engine speed for a rather long time. This allows the driver to save fuel, especially when driving on straight road sections;
- The third step in making a moped from a chainsaw is installing the fuel tank and connecting the unit controls. The gas tank itself can be fixed next to the place where the ICE used will be mounted. The second option is to install the tank on the frame, but in this case, to connect it to the motor, you will need to run a fuel hose. To mount the ignition, the operator will need to pull a wire from the engine and connect it to the switches located in advance on the handle. This will allow you to quickly turn off the engine if necessary. You will need to install a gas trigger next to the ignition switch. You must first remove the retainer from it. This will allow the chicken to move smoothly on the handle. Further, the cable from the chicken gas will need to be connected to the throttle valve of the standard carburetor.
Having assembled a moped from an engine from a garden tool, its owner can start testing a homemade product. To do this, fill the fuel tank with fresh fuel, prepared in the same proportions as for refueling the chainsaw, and start the engine with the starter. The first tank of fuel must be spent on running the moped, moving at the same time, at low and medium speeds. After that, you can refuel the homemade product and start its more intensive operation.
DIY bike with a chainsaw motor
Due to the high power and endurance of their engines, most modern chainsaws are successfully used for conversion into various household appliances. One of them is a chainsaw moped. This vehicle will allow you to successfully cover distances up to 15 km long, show, at the same time, a fairly modest fuel consumption.
How to put a chainsaw engine on a bicycle?
When assembling motorbikes with their own hands, the manufacturer will certainly be faced with the choice of how to mount the engine from a chainsaw. There are 2 methods for installing the motor. The first one is removable. This means that the owner of the homemade product will be able to remove the engine at any time and install it back on the chainsaw. The second way is to install the engine by welding it to the standard bike support frame.
Each of the methods of attaching the engine from a saw to a moped has its own advantages and disadvantages. The removable method is more practical, as it allows you to use the engine from a chainsaw for two purposes at once. Its only drawback is insufficient reliability, especially if a powerful motor is installed on the motorcycle, strong vibration of which will gradually weaken the fixation of bolted connections.
Installing the engine on a moped by quarreling is more reliable. This method will allow the moped driver to move around uneven areas. However, the welded-on motor cannot be removed and reinstalled on the garden tool, which will significantly limit its applications.
It is best to mount the engine itself from the saw next to the rear wheel of the moped, since it is this wheel that plays the role of the leading one. This will allow you to use a short belt to connect the internal combustion engine with the wheel, which will NOT get tangled in the wheel spokes when the moped is driving off-road. To install the engine, it is best to first prepare a metal platform that will act as a support-holder. Before installing the motor, you need to weld the holder itself in advance and check the reliability of its fixation on the frame.
After attaching the support to the moped frame, the motor itself can be installed on it. To prevent the driver and passenger from getting exhaust fumes while driving the moped, the engine must be returned so that the muffler is directed backwards. Further, if the operator does not remove the engine from the Motorbikes, then the lower part of the ICE will need to be welded to the support. If the motor is removable, then you need to attach it to the holder using pre-prepared bolted connections.
To check the reliability of the motor fixation, the driver will need to drive the moped off-road. During the trip, you need to pay attention to the extraneous sounds that the internal combustion engine can make. If the driver noticed a knocking noise, then it will be necessary to check the engine mount and, if necessary, tighten the bolts.
Outboard bicycle motors have several advantages. They are supplied in the form of a ready-made kit, the installation of which with your own hands does not cause any difficulties; the motors are easily mounted on the frame or directly on the carriage, have small dimensions and weight. There are also options for an electric motor integrated into the carriage assembly. Many of them allow you to change gears using your existing bike drivetrain. Some motors are designed with an energy recovery option, which significantly conserves battery power. The power of such electric motors ranges from 250 to 2 thousand watts, which makes it possible to develop a fairly decent speed.
But this solution, in addition to its many advantages, has one huge drawback. the high price, comparable in size to the cost of a factory electric bike. If you add here the costs of purchasing a battery, controller and other spare parts, then the benefit of this option becomes completely unobvious.
Cheap transport turns into very expensive, and not everyone agrees to go to such costs.
An alternative to the factory kit can be the assembly of the power unit from the available spare parts. Often for THESE purposes, motors from various household appliances or power tools are used. Installing such a motor with your own hands can be a non-trivial task, especially for people who do not have mechanical skills. Some of the problems have already been mentioned when considering a gasoline engine. First, it is the increased stress on the bike nodes caused by the increased speed. Secondly, the need to use a belt or chain drive, which complicates the design and increases weight.
It is difficult to advise something specific to those who decided to independently undertake such a project, since each case is individual and depends on many factors. There are only a few general considerations.
- First you need to choose an engine that is suitable in terms of power and dimensions. If he only needs to help pedal and reduce physical activity, then a small motor with a power of 200-250 watts will do. If you strive for high speed, then you will have to look for a model with 350 W and higher.
- Then you need to carefully consider the mounting of the engine, choose a suitable place for it, correctly calculate the transmission parameters, the length of the chain or belt. Use already known, well-proven solutions. This will save you from serious mistakes, save time and money.
- You should NOT get too carried away and try to make a revolution in technology. For some people, the process of technical creativity itself is important. They spend a lot of time constantly redesigning and improving something. It can be said with almost one hundred percent certainty that their assembly, Assembled from the most incredible components, will never be completed. Such “Frankensteins” are doomed to spend their entire lives in the garage, and if they leave it for testing, they go not far and for a short time, immediately break down and return to the workshop for revision and improvement.
- Pay particular attention to structural strength. Your health depends on it, especially if you are going to put a powerful engine.
The use of GIS makes it easy to develop a significant speed, and this circumstance often becomes a decisive factor when choosing a power plant. However, it should be remembered that the bike remains the same bike, and its components are NOT designed for such high loads. It is necessary to constantly monitor its technical condition, otherwise it may simply fall apart at the most inopportune moment.
Typically, a gasoline engine is mounted on the trunk or attached to a frame. In both cases, the transmission of torque from the engine to the wheel will require some form of transmission, which increases the complexity and weight of the structure. Do not forget about the weight of the engine itself, as well as the fuel supply, which you will have to carry with you. If the motor fails, riding such a bike with the help of pedals alone will be very difficult.
The use of gasoline as fuel is killing the very idea in an inexpensive and environmentally friendly form of transport. During a walk, instead of birds singing, you will only hear the sound of the engine, and if you decide to keep your bike at home, then your apartment will always smell like a gas station.
Another aspect, which requires close attention, refers NOT to the technical, but to the legal side of the issue. In many countries, the use of bicycles equipped with internal combustion engines requires registration and a license of the corresponding category.
The totality of all THESE events allows you to safely exclude the gasoline engine from consideration. Indeed, why “reinvent the wheel” (or motorcycle) again, if the market is already full of affordable scooters and mopeds. Therefore, it is worth leaving the internal combustion engine aside and move on to considering the second option, which is now a priority.
Before starting work, you should decide on the type of power unit that you are going to use. When choosing, one should be guided by the following criteria, such as weight and the preferred type of fuel used. There are only two main types, so you won’t have to rack your brains too much:
- Internal combustion engine (ICE). For a long time, a gasoline engine remained the only possible solution available for installation on a bicycle. Most often these were converted chainsaws and lawn mowers. Finding a suitable small engine is NOT difficult now.
- Electric motor. More recently, he was a clear outsider, but the advent of compact high-capacity batteries allowed him to push the gas engine into the background.
Although the idea of making a bicycle with an electric drive appeared at the end of the 19th century, the level of development of electrical engineering did NOT allow it to be fully used in practice. In the early 90s of the last century, there was a surge of interest in such devices. Since then, the electric bike has taken a strong position among urban modes of transport, and its popularity only grows every year.
First of all, an engine with a friction transmission should be excluded from consideration, since its low reliability and insufficient efficiency DO NOT allow achieving any acceptable results when using it. There are two options left: the outboard motor and the wheel motor, and both have their pros and cons.
Homemade bike with a motor
There are a number of obvious advantages to using a bicycle for transportation. It is inexpensive, environmentally friendly, and allows you to keep fit. With it, any trip turns into a pleasant walk. The daily route from home to work and back brings only pleasure, because the bike avoids traffic jams during peak hours and eliminates the need for an assault. Crowded subway cars or bus salons.
But if your office is located at the other end of the city, the relief of which is continuous ups and downs, then an easy walk turns into hard work, and every meter passed reminds you of the torment of the first Christians. When you finally get to work, you feel tired and exhausted. Your body needs rest, and there is still a whole day ahead. The prospect of going all the way in the opposite direction in the evening is also NOT good for your mood. If, in addition, there is no opportunity to take a shower, then a persistent smell of sweat will accompany you all day.
What if you don’t want to part with the bike, but look for work closer to home, too, somehow? In this case, you can purchase a bike with a motor or install the motor on an existing one. The industrially manufactured version does not require modifications, but it is quite expensive and often has a NOT too attractive design. To keep costs down, manufacturers use cheap haiten parts and frames in THESE bikes. As a result, such a bike weighs more than 20 kg, and if the engine fails for any reason, it will be very difficult to move around with the pedals.
A homemade bike with a motor is deprived of THESE disadvantages. In the past, such devices were rather clumsy and were used mainly by teenagers, but now the market offers a wide range of solutions with which you can re-convert an ordinary bike into a high-tech vehicle with your own hands. Such alteration does NOT require any serious technical knowledge, so you should opt for this particular option.
Bicycle wheel motor
The most popular and affordable type of electric motor for a bicycle is a wheel motor. This device is just many of the inherent disadvantages of outboard motors. It is a DC motor mounted directly into the hub. Its power varies in the widest range, which makes it easy to choose the version that suits your needs. It is much cheaper and practically does NOT change the look of the bike. Installing a motor wheel does NOT take much time, and anyone who can read the instructions can easily handle it, and for the rest there are a large number of drawings ands that illustrate the process in detail.
As a rule, the manufacturer offers two types of supply: an unspoked motor and a finished wheel with spokes and double rims. The first option allows you to insert the engine into an existing wheel, and the second is completely ready for use, only a tire with a camera is missing. Usually the kit also includes a controller, throttle and brake levers, connecting wires, fasteners and a charger. The rechargeable battery most often has to be bought separately.
When choosing a motor wheel, pay attention to the correspondence between the dimensions of its hub and the distance between the legs of the fork or frame stays. If its length is greater, then they will have to be moved apart, which is highly undesirable.
Converting a simple bike to an electric one usually takes only half an hour. The wheel motor is easy to install from both the front and rear. You can use two engines at once and get an all-wheel drive motorcycle as a result. Then the controller is connected, the battery is attached to the frame or seat tube, the throttle and brake levers are placed on the handlebars. Then all these components are connected using wires. Each of them has an individual connector, so it’s impossible to make a mistake. That’s all, you can get on the bike and hit the road.
Within the framework of one article, it is difficult to answer all the questions that may arise during the process of installing the engine on your favorite bike. Each of the listed alteration options has its own advantages and disadvantages. It can only be noted that in terms of such parameters as price and ease of installation, the undisputed leader is the wheel motor. With a little diligence and ingenuity, and you will certainly succeed. After all, you are not building a time machine, but just a bicycle with a motor.